ADSERO-Ragy Soliman & Partners’ commercial, corporate and M&A practice is described by a client as having a ‘strong commercial sense and drive to identify innovative solutions to bridge gaps between parties.’ Headed by the three partners Ragy Soliman , Ahmed Abdelgawad , and Mohamed Abdelgawad, the team advises domestic and multinational clients on cross-border transactions, joint ventures, and restructurings. Mohamed Abdelgawad has extensive experience in the TMT and life sciences sectors while Ahmed Abdelgawad is often involved in high-profile transactions for private equities. Soliman’s expertise covers large-scale M&A-deals in several jurisdictions.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Egypt
Ragy Soliman; Ahmed Abdelgawad; Mohamed Abdelgawad
‘Strong commercial sense and drive to identify innovative solutions to bridge gaps between parties.’
‘Great grasp of the intricacies of the pharmaceutical industry in Egypt and a great ability to understand what in-house counsel require from them and deliver useful and practical advice.’
‘Some of the best I’ve ever worked with. Incredibly knowledgeable (not only in terms of regulation but, also, on trends / direction of the authorities) which is coupled with a great understanding of what I need as in-house counsel and the ability to deliver useful and practical advice.’
‘Capable, Understanding, Deal Makers.’
‘Delivering a unique and fully combined legal and policy/regulatory advisory services when it was needed most. Giving clients greater access to policymakers and a defined public policy perspective, all as part of a coherent, broader legal strategy.’
‘Mohamed Abdel Gawad is the ideal legal partner to work with. He is innovative, experienced and has in depth knowledge of different industry/sectors. He is one of the very rare lawyers, in the Egyptian context, that has legislative and public policy expertise allowing him to lead public consultation between Gov and private sector.’
M&A-heavyweight Al Kamel Law Office is described by a client as a ‘very well-selected team of experienced lawyers, cooperative and willing to go the extra mile.’ The firm advises on the full range of corporate matters for a host of high-profile multinational corporations and often cooperates with leading international law firms. Corporate governance and shareholder agreements are among the areas of expertise offered to clients, which include Johnson & Johnson and Chevron. Mohamed Kamel and Rasheed Kamel jointly lead the practice and Shahira Khaled as well as associate Linda Azmy are also recommended.
Mohamed Kamel; Rasheed Kamel
Other key lawyers:
Shahira Khaled; Linda Azmy
‘Very well-selected team of experienced lawyers, cooperative and willing to go the extra mile. I have been working with Al Kamel team for over 10 years and every time they exceeds the client’s expectations. The firm is capable to serve different client needs with wide range of legal expertise and exposure to several industry sectors.’
‘Al Kamel Law Firm provides very timely and sound advice. Very knowledgeable about the Egyptian laws and regulations as it relates to commercial and labor laws.’
‘I have interacted with 3 individuals from Al Kamal Law Firm. They are all very competent and very responsive. I particularly would like to mention and give credit to: Shahira Khaled, Partner – Nada Mohamed, Associate.’
‘Rasheed Kamel and Linda Azmy did an excellent job and provided us with the highest quality legal advice with a commercial mindset and helped us resolve many deadlocks throughout the process.’
‘The team is extremely dedicated and committed to deliver solid advice regarding transactions. They work around the clock (very responsive).Very familiar with the best practice of the law in Egypt as well as other jurisdictions with the different sectors and structures there is.’
‘The team is diverse and clearly well organised. I often reach out to the partner I am used to dealing with, but an appropriately qualified team is given responsibility for my matter and they keep each other well informed, ensuring regular updates and good responses. Top marks for collaboration and pragmatism in approach, without losing sight of legal issues.’
‘Rasheed Kamel has always been proactive, responsive, available and professional in his approach – ensuring he explains the law clearly, flagging where additional work may be required and following up on the more challenging legal matters efficiently.’
‘We have been working with Al Kamel Law as the main law firm for commercial, corporate and M&A legal support for the past 3 years. The team is very experienced in all three fields and they demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and punctuality.’
Lactalis Halawa Group
Johnson & Johnson
Procter & Gamble
The corporate, commercial and M&A practice at Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) works closely together with teams from other areas of expertise to provide clients with holistic support for the structuring, negotiation and execution of deals. In addition, the firm has a dedicated reorganisation practice in place to help clients with restructuring and post-acquisition integration. High-profile corporations such as LMHV and Visa are among the team’s client portfolio. The corporate and commercial practice is led by Ghada El Ehwany, while Mohamed Ghannam and Mohamed Barakat head the M&A-side of the practice. Hani Nassef , a corporate and M&A specialist, joined the firm in March 2021 from Eversheds Sutherland LLP’s Duabi offices.
Mohamed Ghannam; Ghada El Ehwany; Mohamed Barakat; Hesham Ragab
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is great, invariably hands on and knowledgeable, Hani Nassef and Sameh Dahroug are the best in class.’
‘Throughout the process they were in charge, hands on, and reachable. whatever is asked, they will deliver in a timely manner.’
‘Experience, commitment, and collaboration.’
‘Experience and going the extra mile. They are influencing the feeling of a real partnership!’
- Represented the National Service Projects Organization (NSPO) on a strategic joint venture with Grifols, one of the world’s leading producers of plasma-derived medicines. The collaboration is the first ever of its kind and is a significant opportunity to develop the plasma-derivatives program under the President’s Patronage to reach self-sufficiency.
- Acted as the lead counsel for the Sovereign Fund of Egypt on its proposed investment in an educational platform (Lighthouse) targeted at reinforcing school education in Egypt. The transaction was driven alongside a strategic consortium of investors including Banque Misr, Misr Insurance Holding and Suez Canal Bank and a number of other investors.
- Advised BLOM Bank SAL in connection with the disposal of a 99.4% stake held in the share capital of BLOM BANK Egypt S.A.E. to Arab Banking Corporation (B.S.C.), through a mandatory tender offer. The deal was complex as it involved a typical private SPA negotiations and also an MTO, the first in banking sector.
With 11 partners Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy’s corporate and M&A practice is one of the largest in the Egyptian market. The firm advises a number of blue-chip clients on complex cross-border deals, foreign direct investments as well as joint ventures and has recently established a start-up legal incubation practice that assists start-ups beginning with incorporation and fundraising. Tamer El Hennawy and Omar Bassiouny jointly lead the team, both having extensive experience in this field having been involved in major deals in the past years. Corporate, M&A, and capital markets are also part of Amr Baggatto’s specialisations.
Omar Bassiouny; Tamer El Hennawy
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very cooperative and react fast with the right knowledge – reliable and can count on their advises with comfort.’
‘Always available, speed is key element and accuracy of information and opinion.’
‘Broader services to cover all aspects of client needs from M&A, capital markets and dispute resolutions in addition to cross border capabilities which make them a signal point of contact for dealing with multiple stakeholders.’
‘Problem solving, reachability, business understanding, fast response, professional advice and support in every step of the execution.’
First Abu Dhabi Bank
Alameda Healthcare Group
Olympus Victory Limited
Hassan Allam Holding
Taleem Management Services
National Energy Services Reunited Corp
- Acted as the Egyptian counsel to First Abu Dhabi Bank in its 100% acquisition of Bank Audi SAE, Bank Audi’s subsidiary in Egypt.
- Acted as legal counsel to Abu Dhabi Developmental Holding Company PJSC “ADQ”, in its acquisition of Amoun Pharmaceuticals Company, one of Egypt’s leading manufacturers, distributors and exporters of pharmaceutical and animal health products, from Bausch Health Companies.
- Represented CDC Group Plc in its minority stake acquisition of Alfa Medical Group. CDC Group’s investment is valued at USD 100 million, marking CDC Group’s largest impact led equity investment in Egypt to date.
The corporate, commercial and M&A practice at MHR & Partners in association with White & Case LLP advises domestic companies on overseas business as well as multinational clients on their ventures on the Egyptian market. The global White & Case network allows the team to seamlessly assist clients with matters under English, US and Egyptian law. Transaction specialists Said Hanafi and Walid El Daly are the key contacts. Bryan Cory joined the firm’s Cairo office in June 2021 from White & Case LLP Houston and has extensive experience in transactions within the energy industry and construction as well as joint ventures, supply and off-take agreements and M&A-deals.
Said Hanafi; Walid El Daly
Other key lawyers:
ADES International Holding Ltd.
Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company (Masdar)
Hasan Allam Holdings
Orascom Development Holding
Elaj Medical Services Company
Cairo for Investment and Real Estate Development (CIRA)
Palm Hills Developments
El Sewedy Electric S.A.E
European Bank for Reconstruction & Development
Development Partners International LLP
- Represented CI Capital Holding for Financial Investments, Egypt’s leading diversified financial services and investment group, on the indirect acquisition with a group of co-investors of a sixty percent (60%) interest in Taaleem Management Services Company SAE, a leading higher education platform in Egypt which controls and operates Nahda University in Beni Suef (NUB).
- Represented Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company PJSC – Masdar (Masdar), a subsidiary of Mubadala Investment Company, in its acquisition from ib vogt GmbH (ib vogt) of a fifty percent (50%) interest in Infinity 50 for Renewable Energy SAE, an Egyptian company that develops, constructs and operates solar projects under the feed-in-tariff program launched by the Egyptian government.
- Represented AfricInvest, a leading pan-African mid-cap-focused private equity firm with USD 1.5 billion of assets under management, in its acquisition of a forty percent (40%) stake in MSS Holding, the holding company owning Masria Digital Payments – Africa’s leading smart card solutions provider based in Cairo, Egypt with a regional presence spanning 35 countries and 3 continents.
The corporate and M&A department at Shahid Law Firm advises clients through all stages of transactions including due diligence and drafting and negotiating contracts. Corporate restructuring, capital matters as well as compliance further form part of the team’s services, which are often enlisted by multinational companies operating in Egypt. Venture by Shahid, a department launched in 2019, also provides corporate and commercial advice specifically to start-ups. Corporate expert Jacqueline Saad specialises in the pharmaceutical, healthcare, tourism, and transportation sectors. Saad heads the team with Michael Boutros and Rehan Elbashary, who was promoted to partner in January 2021.
Jacqueline Saad; Michael Boutros; Rehan El-Bashary
‘Shahid Law Firm has a team of professionals that understand the business needs and the legal regulations.’
Business Boomers LLC
Ceva Santé Animale S.A.
Egyptian Iron & Steel Company
Gemini Enterprises Africa
Heliopolis Company for Housing and Development
Hengtong Group Co., Ltd.
Netflix IO Productions LLC, Netherlands
Pladis Global/Yildiz Holding
Queen’s Gambit Growth Capital
R-Pharm Holding LLC
Red Sea for Investment & Touristic Development
Regina Food Group
Sawari Ventures North Africa Fund I Cooperatief U.A
Xiaomi HK Limited.
- Advised the Egyptian Iron & Steel Company *EISC”; an affiliate of Metallurgical Industries Holding Co. in relation to its demerger plan to pin-out mining and quarrying business from its other activities.
- Represented NI Capital in acquiring 100% of Alarabya online for brokerage (a company operating in the brokerage field – non-banking financial services).
- Successfully assisted R-Pharm with the establishment of its presence in Egypt.
One of the strengths of Shalakany Law Office’s corporate, commercial and M&A practice lies in its ability to manage complex transactions that are subject to regulatory approvals. Additionally, the firm frequently handles cross-border mandates and is active in sectors such as healthcare, education, and insurance. The department is led by head of tourism and hotels Moataz El Mahdy , Egypt and England qualified Aly El Shalakany together with restructuring and M&A specialist Emad El Shalakany as well as Omar Sherif , whose background includes expertise in dispute resolution.
Aly El Shalakany; Emad El Shalakany; Moataz El Mahdy; Omar Sherif
‘Omar Sherif led the Shalakany team. Omar was available and responsive; he brought a practical approach to the due diligence project that we asked them to carry out.’
Yas Holdings LLC
- Advised Yas Holdings LLC on a mandatory tender offer for the purchase of a minimum of 51% of the shares in Alexandria New Medical Centre.
Corporate procedures, commercial contracts, compliance, and regulatory issues are amongst the services that Sharkawy & Sarhan Law Firm offers clients as part of their M&A team. The firm climbs the ranking this year having built an impressive roster of both domestic and multinational clients including Vodafone and PepsiCo. Mohamed Hazzaa heads the M&A department with longstanding experience in advising corporations and regulatory bodies on complex cross-border transactions. The focus of Heba Anwar Raslan lies on regulated sectors, particularly oil, gas and mineral resources, where she regularly supports clients in commercial and corporate matters.
Other key lawyers:
Heba Anwar Raslan
Vodafone Group Plc
Vodafone Egypt for Telecommunications
Dell International Inc.
Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company (KUFPEC)
- Advising Vodafone Group on the potential sale of its entire stake in Vodaphone Egypt to STC. This was contemplated to be one of the biggest M&A transactions in the Egyptian market through 2020. The transaction was very complex due to the existence of multiple stake holders and regulatory bodies closely involved with the transaction including Telecom Egypt which holds 45% of Vodafone Egypt.
- Advising Hikma on all Egyptian law aspects of acquiring GSK’s business in Egypt. This is one of the biggest M&A transactions the Egyptian market has ever seen in terms of value and complexity.
- Advising as Egyptian legal counsel Energean Plc on the Egyptian law aspects of its acquisition of Edison E&P from Edison SpA, in a global deal that spanned across Italy, Egypt, UK, Croatia and Greece, with an estimated final net consideration of USD of $203 million.
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law acts for a wide range of blue-chip clients in all matters of corporate, commercial and M&A activities, such as restructurings and large transactions. The firm is involved in establishing and closing representative offices and branches in Egypt for international companies and regularly advises corporate clients on day-to-day matters. The last year has also seen a growing presence in healthcare, TMT, and start-ups for the team. Managing partner Yasser Hashem is the practice head with a focus on corporate aspects, while Arig Ali worked on numerous large-scale acquisitions in the last year. Hossam Hafez and Heba El Naggar are also key names in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Arig Ali; Hossam Hafez; Heba El Naggar
‘The team is very professional , they are experts in their field , they gave sound advise and the work provided was made with perfection.’
Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank – Egypt (ADIB)
AIG Egypt Insurance Company
Arab African International Bank
Attijariwafa Bank Egypt
Beltone Group of Companies
Caixa Bank, S.A
CI Capital Investment Banking
Citigroup Global Markets Limited
Commercial International Bank Egypt (CIB Egypt)
Commercial International Investment Company (CIIC)
Dunia Finance L.L.C.
Egypt Factors SAE
Egypt Foods SAE
Egyptian Gulf Bank SAE
European University in Egypt (EUE)
Global Telecom Holding
Hand Seng Bank Limited (HASE)
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Madinet Nasr for Housing and Development
Middle East Turnaround Investment (Haykala)
MM Holding for Paper and Packaging
Modern Nile Cotton
National Bank of Egypt
National Investment Bank
Qatar Islamic Bank (QIB)
Qatar National Bank (QNB)
Raya Contact Centre (RCC)
Société de Promotion et de Participation pour la Coopération Economique
SP Legal Consultants
The Industrial Fund for Developing Countries (IFU)
Vitas Egypt for Microfinance
- Advised Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications in a subscription in a considerable stake of the share capital of Ebtikar Holding for Financial Services S.A.E’s non-banking financial services subsidiaries.
- Advising Raya Holding and other sellers in the sale of the entire shares of Bariq for Techno and Advances Industries S.A.E.
- Advising the shareholders of Marcyrl for Pharmaceutical Industries S.A.E. on the EGP 1.1 billion sale of a minority stake to a group of institutional investors.
Al Tamimi & Company operates an extensive network of commercial, corporate, and M&A teams throughout the MENA region, which is also the case for its Cairo offices. Clients such as Telecom Egypt are advised on shareholder agreements, joint ventures, acquisitions, and investments, amongst others. Ehab Taha is key partner whose expertise includes capital markets, commercial work, corporate & restructuring matters, as well as M&A-deals. Senior Counsel Zeinab Shohdy and Senior Associate Ingy Darwish are also heavily involved in the firm’s corporate and commercial practice.
Other key lawyers:
Zeinab Shohdy, Ahmed Adib, Ingy Darwish
Abu Dhabi Development Holding ADQ
Gems Egypt for Education Services S.A.E.
Al Tayseer International Hospital S.A.E
The Egyptian American Enterprise Fund
Ezdehar Egypt Mid-Cap Fund Coöperatief
El Sewedy Capital Holding
- Advising Telecom Egypt in renegotiating and amending the shareholders agreement with Vodafone BV in relation to Vodafone Egypt for Telecommunications.
- Advising Al Tayseer International Hospital S.A.E in relation to the acquisition of up to 100% of the issued capital of Mansoura Medical Center Company S.A.E. (the “Target”) through a mandatory tender offer.
- Advising Intro Waste Management and Material Recovery Holding Ltd in relation to acquiring 100% of the shares of Bariq for Techno and Advanced Industries S.A.E (a subsidiary of Raya Holding).
Alliance Law Firm – Egypt provides clients with support on the full spectrum of Commercial, corporate and M&A matters, from IPOs and capital restructuring to handling day-to-day business, corporate governance and microfinance. The firm also possesses a focus on heavy industries and multinational companies. Ashraf Abou Elkheir leads the team with a wealth of experience in corporate law, M&A and joint ventures, most notably having been involved in the largest M&A deal in Egypt to date. Counsel Omar Farid advises clients at the intersection of corporate and M&A with capital market matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Alliance Law Firm has a diversified lawyers with an extensive experience and dedication to get things done in a challenging timelines. We have worked with the firm on different M&A transactions along with the day to day commercial and corporate advice.’
‘Working for a company that has a lot of cross border transactions I find ALF as a one stop shop where I can rely on them to manage my transaction. If other external lawyers are needed they deal with them in a satisfactory manner on my behalf. They also have extensive knowledge on the various commercial and legal aspects of incorporating businesses in Europe and the US which is very helpful when planning investment structures abroad.’
‘The individuals I work with are not only knowledgeable but also always willing to go the extra step of trying to help and provide the support even if not part of the initial agreed upon scope. I deal and dealt with a lot of law firms and the response time from the individuals I deal with is definitely much better than anyone else in the market and that includes working on holidays and weekends if something urgent is needed. The work ethic of the individuals is a stand out.’
‘The team is very experienced in the Commercial and Corporate practice. They provide professional detailed legal advices that covers all the points clients want without saying. I found them reliable authenticated team as one of the top tier firms in Egypt.’
‘The team has strong experience and are committed to deliver reliable legal advice. It might have been tricky during the pandemic for them to deliver the best service. The team was handling the Due Diligence on a healthcare provider, and the service provided was meeting expectations.’
‘Team is very knowledgeable and dedicated to the job. They look at all the details and consider every aspect of the case at hand. They always come with simple and innovative ideas and solutions. Their commercial and business sense is very high compared to many lawyers who only tackle the case from a pure legal aspect.’
‘I have worked with Alliance in several topics, and each time they proved that they understand the purpose and the business needs through the legal actions adopted by them, simply we can say it with a lot of confidence that they are very much business oriented, which makes their opinions and actions very valid and reliable. They are very flexible, and the whole team is very aligned. Their fees are not exaggerated, reasonable and it is really value for money.’
‘I have dealt with the partner Ashraf Abu El Kheir – he is very much business oriented, with a very high legal knowledge, Ashraf, is a very good negotiator who led very successful negotiation sessions with different parties in different countries at the same time, he succeeded to align all parties, his effort was crowned by the ultimate target set by his client.’
Hanburg Sud Egypt & Tabadol shipping Company
East Mediterranean Gas Co.
Alsara Investment Group
Ezz Elarab Motors
Kellogs Middle East
Industrial Engineering Company for Construction and Developments ICON
Samir and Aly
- Advised Misr Capital S.A.E. (Misr Capital), the investment arm of Banque Misr, and Elevate Private Equity, the launch of a USD 380 million healthcare investment platform, “Nile Misr Scan & Labs”.
- Acquisition of a controlling stake in the upraising Italian luxury retail Khrisjoy.
- Advising TITAN in its corporate restructuring for its companies in Egypt.
Dentons Egypt LLC
The corporate, commercial and M&A practice at Dentons Egypt LLC handles a wide range of matters for multinational and domestic clients. Due diligences and contracts form as much part of the team’s expertise as licensing and transactions. Thanks to Dentons’ large international network, clients profit from the firm’s ability to handle mandates seamlessly across jurisdictions. A trio consisting of Michael Lacey, Frederique Leger, and Ahmed Kamal head the department. Associate Mohamed Azmy is also highly experienced in corporate matters, particularly within the hotel sector.
Michael Lacey; Frederique Leger; Ahmed Kamal
Other key lawyers:
Being a relatively new player on the market, Khodeir & Partners has extensive expertise in areas such as regulatory licensing, corporate governance requirements as well as M&A transactions and restructurings. Founding partner Mohamed Khodeir is particularly well versed in international matters, having practiced law in four jurisdictions. In Summer 2021 the team expanded by two new partners: Hanan El Dib, who was internally promoted and Hani Zahran, who advises on the intersection of corporate M&A, renewable energy and real estate developments.
‘The Khodeir Team is very professional and involved and you feel the strong wish to make the client succeed with their goals.’
‘Knowledgeable team with a commercial approach to corporate/commercial work. Flexible structure on fees including monthly retainer for volume based needs.’
‘Mohamed Khodeir – responsive, practical and does not get bogged down in unnecessary detail.’
- Advised on the acquisition of Infinity Energy shares with a total stake of 20% and a value of USD 60,000,000.
- Advising a regional fund on a project finance to be awarded to a local Egyptian entity with the value being in excess of US$ 300,000,000.
- Advising a client on the acquisition of a Fintech company.
The commercial, corporate and M&A practice at Levari is well-equipped to handle cross-border transactions and support clients in their multinational activities. The whole gamut of business endeavours is covered by the firm with corporate structuring and offshoring forming part of the service portfolio. Management buyouts, distribution and franchise agreements as well as joint ventures are further areas of expertise in the department. Partners Sherif Hefni, Mohamed Raslan , senior associate Amr Hareedy and new partner Ahmed Barakat, who joined the firm in April 2021, constitute the lead team.
Sherif Hefni; Mohamed Raslan; Ahmed Barakat; Amr Hareedy
Eden Health Care – EIC
Irwin Mitchell LLP
World Bank Group
Flat6labs Accelerator for IT and Project Management
CHF Management and Consulting Services Egypt S.A.E
Al Ghad for Satellite Channels
Ten for Profuction
Okadoc Technologies Dubai
Proger International SA
Jones the Grocer
Naftogaz of Ukraine-Egypt Branch
National Bank of Egypt
Egyptian Medical Centre for Infertility
Careem Egypt for Smart Networks
Careem Payment Solutions S.A.E
Artiyapi Construction Engineering Architecture Consultancy Co.
Savills Egypt Consulting JSC
Byte Dance (Tik Tok)
Delta Timber Egypt
M&W Group for Food Production
Egyptian international for Hospitals Management
International Food Academy
International Data Corporation (IDC)
M&W Group (Pop City)
Byte Dance (Tik Tok)
Al Mashreq for Export and Import
- Advising Careem on various restructuring matters and cases related to Uber acquisition.
- Advising Madfooatcom in general corporate matters.
A client says ‘the best quality about the Marghany Advocates team is their ability to understand technology’. The firm’s commercial, corporate and M&A department regularly handles the day-to-day matters of multinational companies including agency and distribution agreements as well as offshore business. Amir Marghany who is described as ‘always understanding and accommodating’ is the key contact.
‘The best quality about the Marghany team is their ability to understand technology. They are not a typical law firm that you need to spare hours explaining what you do to them and how that impacts the nature and structure of the business. They then manage to take what you do and put it in ink in the proper language that protects you and your interests.’
‘I deal directly with Amir. Amir is the type of person who treats you as a partner. Except he doesn’t work in your company. I was never ashamed to ask anything from him even asking for invoices delays and he was always the understanding and accommodating one when it makes sense of course.’
Riad & Riad provides clients with services that include restructurings, shareholders agreements, corporate governance, and M&A-deals, amongst others. The firm is often instructed by multinational companies, investment banks, private equity providers as well as state entities, spanning a wide range of sectors and industries. Eman Riad and Mohamed Riad jointly lead the team, both having over 16 years’ experience in this area. Corporate law specialist Fatma Salah has ‘outstanding market knowledge and thinks outside the box, in particular for international clients.’
Eman Riad; Mohamed Riad
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very knowledgable in their market and conscious of the impact of local laws and regulations on international clients – they think ahead as to what may be an issue/what is coming down the line for their clients.’
‘Fatma Salah – outstanding market knowledge and thinks outside the box, in particular for international clients. Happy to strongly recommend her to any of my contacts. Always contactable.’
‘The team is very responsive with a very quick turnaround. We worked on many deals concerning the Egyptian market and the team showed a market and legal understanding, they are knowledgeable and pleasant to work with.’
‘The quick turnaround is impressive, they are up to date with the market trends. It is really pleasant to work with Dr. Eman and Dr. Fatma.’
‘Knowledge, advice and proactive suggestion.’
Maersk & RAED Ventures
Yantian International Container Terminals
Kelloggs Tolaram Noodles Egypt
Haier Raya Electric for Manufacturing
K2 Partners IV L.P
Acos (Pedon SPA)
CMS Law Firm
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
China Railway Group Limited & AVIC International Holding Corporation
Japan External Trade Organisation (JETRO)
Beijing Emirates Construction Group BEC
Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG)
Indo British Garments Egypt Co.
Fawaz Al-Hokair Group
Stepan Europe S.A.S
- Advised Maersk, the Danish shipping giant, and Saudi Arabia VC RAED Ventures in relation to the Egyptian law aspects of the $42 million Series A round of investment in Trella, the technology platform that connects shippers to carriers.
- Acted as the local counsel for Eni, the Italian multinational oil and gas company, in the landmark transaction relating to the restructuring of Damietta LNG facility as well as the settlement negotiation in relation to the USD 2 Billion arbitration award against the Egyptian Government.
- Advised the Chinese Yantian International Container Terminals in an acquisition of shares in Alexandria International Container Terminals S.A.E.
The corporate team at Soliman, Hashish & Partners has a strong presence in various sectors such as TMT, energy, education, and tourism. The firm’s recent highlights include matters of restructuring, corporate governance, and M&A-deals. Frederic Soliman is one of two key partners, dual-qualified in Egypt as well as France, and has been involved in numerous high-value transactions. The second practice lead is Mohamed Hashish who is experienced in corporate, M&A, restructuring and matters in the energy sector.
Frederic Soliman; Mohamed Hashish
Africa Crest Education Group
Applied Technology & Management Inc
Arizona State University
Babcock & Wilcox
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
ION Bean Application
New Zealand Trade and Enterprise
Sandvic Finance Services
Sinai Cement Company SAE
World Bank Group
ALC Alieldean Weshahi & Partners acts for both domestic and foreign investors in acquiring local companies, negotiation processes, drafting documents, and handling due diligences. The firm has also recently expanded its expertise in the areas of healthcare as well as non-banking financial services. Amr Namek is practice head with experience in several African jurisdictions and a number of industries including oil and gas, transportation, agriculture, and mining. Ahmed Weshahi and Bahaa Alieldean are also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Bahaa Alieldean; Ahmed Weshahi
‘We have been instructed through Amr Namek of ALC to provide BVI advice on a number of private closed ended funds over the years. Those are clients of his firm. The parties are typically Egypt based. Amr is bilingual. I have worked with him and his team for almost a decade. He is a pleasure to work with and invariably has a good grasp of the details.’
‘Egypt appear to us to be an emerging legal services market. The smoothness with which ALC works across borders with a firm like ours is what stands out.’
‘What’s unique about ALC is their legal bench and the depth of partner’s involvement in all steps of an engagement.’
‘Amr Namek is quite unique – has incredibly deep knowledge of various issues and helps make sense of complex legal issues in layman’s language.’
Alameda Health Group
Ahly Capital Holding
El Sewedy Electrics
Qalaa Holdings (Citadel Capital)
Dalla El Baraka
Wadi Degla Holdings
El Sewedy Capital
- Acted as a legal advisor for Alameda Healthcare Group no the acquisition by Cleopatra Hospitals Group (CHG) of 100% of Alameda Healthcare Group’s Egypt assets in a sale and purchase agreement that would see the two healthcare service providers merge their operations in Egypt.
- Acted as the legal counsel to Ahly Capital, a subsidiary of National Bank of Egypt, with respect to the acquisition of Cairo West Medical Services (Nada Hospital); a state-of-the-art medical facility located in Sheikh Zayed City.
- Represented El Sewedy Electric with respect to the acquisition of International Cables Company.
BonelliErede in cooperation with Bahaa-Eldin Law Office regularly advises clients on high-profile cross-border deals in Africa as well as on other corporate and commercial matters, such as contracts and restructurings. A client describes the department as an ‘extremely professional team’ which is led by former deputy prime minister Ziad Bahaa Eldin. Corporate law, capital market and corporate restructuring expert Mostafa Moussa and Mohamed El Ehwany, whose focus lies on energy, finance, and mergers and acquisitions, are also recommended.
Ziad Bahaa Eldin
Other key lawyers:
Mostafa Moussa; Mohamed El Ehwany
‘Attentive to detail, always available, response rate very decent and extremely professional team.’
Eldib & Co’s corporate and commercial department has built a solid presence in the Egyptian market, with clients including Samsung Electronics. The firm handles matters such as shareholder’s agreements, business licenses, as well as the incorporation of businesses and acquisitions. Amr Eldib, who advises multinational banks and corporations, and contract specialist Mohamed Eldib are the key partners.
Amr Eldib; Mohamed Eldib
Samsung Electronics Co.
Egyptian International Motors (EIM)
Egyptian International Trading & Agencies Co. (EIT)
- Advised MTS on the acquisition of local hotels.
- Advised Maxab on the sale of shares to an American VC.
- Advised Kemin Industries on the acquisition of a local company.
Hafez and Partners joins the ranking this year demonstrating a growing practice that counts Vodafone Egypt and Premier League amongst its clients. Establishing local and offshore entities, corporate administration and shareholder agreements are part of the service portfolio the firm offers to domestic and international corporations. Hadir Elhakim heads the team with longstanding expertise in general corporate law, restructuring, as well as commercial and ancillary agreements and large M&A-deals. Managing Partner Ahmed Hafez is also recommended for his experience in complex transactions.
Other key lawyers:
ALSAADA for Agriculture Development and Real Estate Investment
Fiber Misr ICT (Benya Capital)
Bianchi for Tourism and Real Estate Investment
Commercial International Bank
Cotecna Inspection Egypt
East Gast Company S.A.E
Entag / ECARU
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
King Tut’s Playground
Le 16 Law
SAS Middle East
Sunrise Resorts & Cruises
Vodafone Telecommunication Egypt
Clyde & Co
J. Walter Thomson (JWT)
The corporate and commercial department at Mohamed Nasser Law Firm advises clients on a range of matters relating to transactions and day-to-day-business of clients from sectors such as real estate, agriculture, and tourism. The firm which joins the ranking this year regularly supports companies in questions of corporate governments, contracts, as well as due diligences. Multinational companies, medium scale business, regulatory bodies, and governments form part of the team’s client roster. Associate Amr Azzam leads the department having joined the firm in 2021. Managing Partner Mohamed Nasser focuses on corporate issues, for instance restructurings and incorporations of foreign companies.
Other key lawyers:
Nabat Farms for Agricultural Investment
London Offshore for Consultancy Services
Rijk Zwaan Egypt
Pan Marine Group Egypt
Rawabi Contracting Egypt
El-Nasr Film Productions
Karim Mikhtigian Design Studio
- Advised Aton Holding on the acquisition of Pharos securities.
- Drafting a memorandum of understanding between the client Procomon Egypt and a local partner to execute the plan of garbage collection, recycling, and waste management of the East Cairo region with a contract worth one billion Egyptian pounds.
- Advised Alchemy for Decorations & Furniture on various due diligence matters, including reviewing commercial contracts and drafting agreements.
Riad, Saleh & Partners advises both domestic and international clients planning to invest or operate on the Egyptian market in commercial, corporate and M&A matters. Regulatory aspects, corporate governance, joint ventures and strategic alliances form part of the firm’s service portfolio, in addition to company disposals and cross-border transactions. Mohamed Kamel Saleh is part of the lead team and specialises in M&A, general corporate, and the energy sector. He leads the department together with Hesham Riad who has extensive experience in the areas of development, real estate, hospitality, and sustainable energy.
Mohamed Kamel Saleh; Hesham Riad
‘Riad Saleh & Partners Law Firm team is vey professional and proactive in providing their services. They have great staff who are capable, diligent and friendly with clients. I usually find them available at anytime. They provide outstanding services in the commercial and corporate services. I strongly believe this emanates from the diversity of experience they gained.’
‘I work with Mohamed Kamel Saleh and he is friendly, well oriented with in-house practice and layers of problems that businesses encounter.’
‘Knowledgeable, experienced and updated. Their efficiency and precision is notable and their work is produced in timely fashion’
‘After dealing with Hesham Riad for good deal of time and several transactions I can say that he is one of the best business oriented lawyers in town. He is a very talented corporate counsel. He has professional and social intelligence with remarkable ability to solve problems.’
Air Liquide Group
Chubb Life Insurance
Integrated Diagnostics Holdings (IDH)
Golden West Seeds
Tokio Marine Insurance
Ahram Security Group
Al Borg Laboratories
Echo Scan Nigeria
Echo Lab Nigeria
The commercial, corporate, and M&A team at Rizkana & Partners offers clients advice on the whole range of related matters, such as establishing businesses, transactions, restructuring, as well as negotiating and drafting contracts. Additionally, the firm is experienced in dealing with Egyptian regulatory authorities and ministries overseeing commercial and corporate business. Hazim Rizkana and Sherif El Hosseny are the key partners, with the latter having a particular focus on the aviation sector.
Hazim Rizkana; Sherif El Hosseny