Commercial, corporate and M&A in Egypt
Al Kamel Law Office fields a team of 'very personal, on the ball and knowledgeable lawyers'. Key practitioners include practice heads Rasheed Kamel and Mohamed Kamel, along with associates Youssef Nassef and Shahira Khaled. The firm frequently plays a part in the largest M&A transactions in Egypt, as well as handling corporate governance, shareholder agreements and other matters for multinational companies.
Mohamed Kamel; Rasheed Kamel
‘Al Kamel have a strong team at all levels of qualification, and is able to mobilise its team at short notice to deal with urgent client queries. We found that they were not only responsive, but pragmatic and commercial in their approach. As external counsel, we rate them highly compared to other firms.‘
‘Rasheed Al Kamel was a standout lead lawyer on several matters – he understood clients’ legal issues and was able to arrange or provide commercially helpful legal advice. Being always responsive and available is a big plus.‘
LACTALIS HALAWA GROUP
INDORAMA VENTURES PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED
PALM HILLS DEVELOPMENTS
SOAPS & CHEMICALS INDUSTRIAL & TRADING CO
- Advised Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited, a global chemical producer, on a joint venture agreement with Dhunseri Petrochem and Tea Ltd. to acquire its Egyptian Indian Polyester Company S.A.E. PET(1) facility located in Ain Sokhna free trade zone.
- Handled corporate matters for Palm Hills Developments, which is a leading real estate company in the Egyptian market, primarily developing integrated residential, commercial real estate and resort projects.
Al Tamimi & Company has 'a great team, led by one of the best M&A lawyers in Egypt', according to one client. Mohamed Gabr leads the practice, which recently handled major M&A and IPO transactions in the transport, education, healthcare and pharmaceutical sectors, and is also advising on a growing amount of equity capital markets work. Clients include major international investors, including those in the GCC region. Associate Ingy Darwish is another name to note.
‘The firm shows conscientious attention to detail, and it is attentive and responsive.‘
‘Great team, led by one of the best M&A lawyers in Egypt.‘
‘Mohamed Gabr and Ingy Darwish take client service to a whole new level, providing tremendous support across all phases of a transaction. The team’s restructuring knowledge and its finesse in negotiations places them on the top of our list when it comes to M&As in Egypt.‘
‘Mohamed Gabr’s commitment to the client and the transaction is impressive. He and Ingy Darwish are commercially savvy, which allows them to propose alternative solutions to resolve conflicts.‘
Egyptian American Enterprise Fund
Cairo for Investment and Real Estate CIRA
El Tayseer Hospital
Chimera Investments Corporation
- Advised Chimera Investments LLC on the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Al Hashemeya for Land Reclamation and Cultivation S.A.E owned by Americana Group’s affiliates.
- Advising Social Impact Capital LTD (the major shareholder of Cairo for Investment and Real Estate CIRA) on the IPO and listing of shares on EGX.
- Assisted EFG Finance Holding S.A.E. with the business model of the new partnership in light of the legal framework of mortgage finance companies.
Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) has seen a change in personnel, with key partners Mohamed Talaat and Hatem Soliman both departing in 2019 to set up their own respective firms, but managing partner Mohamed Ghannam is active in M&A transactions and the highly experienced Ghada El Ehwany, who joined from the firm's Dubai office, now leads the corporate team. The firm specialises in complex multi-jurisdictional transactions for multinational clients. Counsel Mohamed Elfar is another key name.
Mohamed Ghannam; Ghada El Ehwany
Arab Company for projects and Urban Development
Banque du Caire
Mars Egypt for Manufacturing LL.C
International Finance Corporate
- Advised Indorama Ventures on its acquisition of 74% of the share capital of Medco Plast for Packing and Packaging Systems S.A.E. (Medco Plast) from Middle East Glass Manufacturing Co (MEG) and the Samaha family.
- Advised Bank Audi S.A.E. (Egypt), a fully-owned subsidiary of Bank Audi sal, on its agreement with the National Bank of Greece (NBG) on its acquisition of the banking operations of NBG’s Egyptian Branch.
- Assisted Arab Company for Projects and Urban Development with the sale of a portfolio of elementary schools in the cities of Madinaty and Al Rehab in Egypt with nearly EGP1bn in investments.
Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy 'provides a unique level of service to foreign clients, as the team offers international quality legal advice at a sophisticated level'. The 'always accessible' Omar Bassiouny leads the corporate practice, which works extensively with international law firms including Clifford Chance LLP and Herbert Smith Freehills LLP. New partner Amr Baggatto, formerly of Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International), has expertise in M&A and capital markets work. The firm recently handled flagship transactions in the oil and gas, healthcare, hospitality, education and FMCG sectors.
‘Matouk Bassiouny provides a unique level of service to foreign clients. Their team offers international quality legal advice at a sophisticated level in the English language. They have expertise in local law, policy and practices as strong as any Egyptian Law firm but they are able to deliver the right advice to foreign clients in a way that they can understand and drive decision making. This is not easy to find in Egypt.‘
‘Omar Bassiouny deals with issues immediately when they are raised. He runs a busy practice and is often travelling but he still manages to make his clients feel valued.‘
Helios Investment Partners
EFG Private Equity
Sherman & Sterling
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Allen & Overy
Slaughter and May
Clyde & co
NBK Capital Partners
Solvay Alexandria Sodium Carbonate
Dhunseri Petrochem Limited
Development Partners International
Arabian Holding Company
Hassan Allam Holding
- Advised Helios Investment Partners and the Egyptian-American Enterprise Fund (EAEF) on the acquisition of 96.7% of Misr Hytech, a leading breeder and producer of proprietary agricultural seeds in Egypt and one of the Middle East and Africa’s largest independent seed companies.
- Assisted NBK Capital Partners – an alternative investment firm that provides flexible growth capital to mid-sized companies in the Middle East, North Africa and Turkey – with the acquisition of 100% of King Integrated American School.
- Advising NBK Capital Partners, as local counsel, on its acquisition of a majority stake in four major online platforms.
At Shahid Law Firm, 'the team is very well constructed with members specialised in their field'. The practice provides 'dedicated teamwork and always delivers what it promises'. The group, which is led by 'phenomenal lawyer' Michael Boutros, Nabil Rizkalla and healthcare sector specialist Jacqueline Saad, acts for public and private companies, directors, managers, board members and investors, as well as entrepreneurs on corporate activities, including M&A transactions, joint ventures, corporate governance and capital markets issues.
Michael Boutros; Nabil Rizkalla; Jacqueline Saad
‘Micheal Boutros is very smart and he can find solutions to problems and is well prepared.‘
‘The firm provides solutions that save time with high efficiency. The clear cut difference between Shahid Law Firm and others is that they know what they are proposing and they know the best way to achieve it.‘
‘The lawyers really over-deliver on what they promise.‘
‘The firm is very professional, showing commitment, responsibility and good communication.‘
‘The firm provides specialised and clear advice on complex matters.‘
SPIMACO Pharmaceutical industry company
Regina Food Group
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
Hengtong Group Co., Ltd.
Regina Hotel Group
MSA Egypt LLC and Eymsal Safety Solutions Inc. LLC
Eli Lilly Group of Companies
Sonesta International Hotels Limited
- Advised Spimaco pharmaceutical company on a complex capital increase procedure while complying with all minority rights for the transaction and obtaining all required governmental approvals.
- Assisted Regina Food Group with a complex capital increase procedure while complying with all minority rights for the transaction and obtaining all required governmental approvals.
- Advising Hengtong Group Co., Ltd. on a joint venture with HitekNofal for a mega project related to a fibre optic manufacturing process and advising on general corporate matters.
Shalakany Law Office provides 'excellent, proactive advice and is very well informed about market developments and opportunities'. The firm has strong relationships with Magic Circle and top US law firms, which gives it a strong presence on large cross-border transactions. In recent work, it advised on a $1bn tender offer for a telecoms company and handled the local aspects of a multibillion-dollar global asset sale in the energy sector. Omar Sherif and Aly El Shalakany are the key partners.
Aly El Shalakany; Omar Sherif; Emad El Shalakany; Moataz El Mahdy
‘The team always responds promptly to our needs and shows very high knowledge in these subject areas.‘
‘We feel that they are part of our team. They are very keen to provide legal solutions that serve our business needs.‘
‘Excellent, proactive advice. Very well informed about market developments and opportunities.‘
Engie E&P International
S2 Africa Limited
Sealed Air Corporation
Latham & Watkins LLP
USA – Ministry of Agriculture
Dr. Association (Subway)
Majid EL Futtaim
- Acting as local counsel to United Energy Group on its acquisition of all the global and local assets of Kuwait Energy in Egypt.
- Acting as local counsel to Al Seer Group on the acquisition of the Spinneys chain of hypermarkets in Egypt by Al Seer Group from Abraaj.
- Conducting legal due diligence for Dubai Holding on its acquisition of 25% of the shares of Azadea Group Holding SAL, the operator of international franchises for clothing, accessories, food, multimedia, home furnishings and sporting goods brands in the Middle East.
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law is 'very diligent and commercial, adhering to the best standards with dedication and commitment'. The firm is present in Egypt's largest M&A transactions, frequently involving overseas investors, and advises large domestic companies on day-to-day corporate matters. Yasser Hashem has almost 30 years' experience in privatisation and company incorporation. Key partner Arig Ali ('a strong leader'), senior partner Hala Hashem ('vastly experienced and extremely patient'), newly promoted Heba El Naggar and senior associate Hossam Hafez are other key names.
‘Adhering to best standards. Dedication and commitment.‘
‘The firm has a professional team that cares for clients’ interests.‘
‘Hossam Hafez, Ahmed Meguid and Osama Abdelmawla are dedicated team members.‘
‘The team is very diligent, commercial, with high levels of governance and high standards. It provides prompt responses and good team work, and is effective in providing practical solutions.‘
‘The firm shows commitment and knowledge across the legal spectrum, as well as discipline and a diligent approach.‘
Abdul Latif Jameel Group
Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm
AIG Egypt Insurance Company & AIG MEA Limited
Al Ismaelia Real Estate Investment
AL Sagheer Group
Alchemy Project Egypt
Alpla Taba Plastics S.A.E. and Alpla for Import & Export
Arab Federation of Petroleum Mining & Chemical Workers
Aswaq Misr Express for Development and Management
Attijariwafa Bank Egypt
Ayady For Investment & Development
Barceló Cairo Pyramids Hotel
BASF Construction Chemicals Egypt S.A.E. & BASF Trading Egypt S.A.E
BP Egypt East Delta Deep Marine
Bridge Legal Group
British Petroleum Egypt (BP)
Bupa Egypt Insurance S.A.E.
Canal Sugar Company
Cargill Misr & Cargill Trading Egypt
CFA Society Egypt
China State Construction Engineering Corporation Ltd. – Egypt Branch (CSCEC)
China Telecom (Africa and Middle East) Limited
Commercial International Bank Egypt (CIB Egypt)
Conrad Cairo Hotel
CORAL SEA HOTELS – RESORTS- NILE CRUISES
CVentures Capital (affliated Company of Commercial Internation Bank Egypt)
Diners Club Egypt
Ebtikar for Investment Finance S.A.E
Egypt Foods S.A.E.
Egypt Health Partners for Medical Services S.A.E.
Egypt Learning Group S.A.E.
Egypt Venture Capital Company S.A.E.
Egyptian Smart Cards
EL Cairo Seamless Company
EL Gezirah Hotels & Tourism Company S.A.E (EGHTC)
El Sewedy Electric
EMC Corporation (Dell)
Emerging Markets Payments Africa S.A.E & Network International Egypt, S.A.E.
Neptune Energy Egypt B.V. (Previously Engie)
European University in Egypt “EUE”
Fawry Group of Companies
General Electric Group
Geofizyka International MSR
Grome Free Zone Marketing (Cairo) Ltd (GROHE)
Gulf Marketing Group (GMG)
Interlink Services LLC
Iconix Luxembourg Holdings SÀRL
IEC Medical Systems S.A.E.
KAMCO INVESTMENT COMPANY K.S.C
Klipsch Group Inc.
LG Electronics Egypt S.A.E.
Mediterrania Capital Partners
MAKSHAFF- Egypt Investment Company “MAKVEST”, S.A.E
Mitsubishi Corporation, Cairo Liaison Office
Medecins Sans Frontiers (MSF)
MENA REAL ESTATE INVestment
Misr Insurance Holding
Ministry of public Business Sector in Egypt
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Modern Bakeries S.A.E.
Madinet Nasr for Housing and Development
Afridi & Angell Legal Consultants
NISSAN Motor Egypt S.A.E.
Norwegian Embassy in Cairo
Novo Nordisk Egypt
NBK Capital Partners
AUSTRIAN ARCHAEOLOGICAL INSTITUTE
Pepsi Cola Egypt
Petroleum and Energy Logistics and Services Company (Petrogistix)
Pyravision Trading and Consultancy
Philips Egypt LLC
Paste and Juice Company
RATP Dev S.A.
Rixos Hospitality Egypt S.A.E.
RAKTA (The General Company for Paper Industry)
Ras Ghareb Wind Energy
Soltius ME – Division of YASH Technologies
Seha Scan & Lab
Savoy Sharm El Sheikh
SEMIRAMIS INTERCONTINENTAL CAIRO HOTEL
Embassy of Switzerland
Tamweely Microfinance S.A.E.
Upstream Systems Egypt S.A.E.
Welcare Hospital S.A.E.
Dehydro Foods S.A.E.
Damietta Furniture City
Creative Media ventures (Ebda3)
Arab Co. for Asset Management and Development
Egyptian Engineering Agencies S.A.E. (EEA)
Egyptian Countryside Development Company
grand nile tower
Le MEREDIEN Heliopolis
Mitsui & co. ltd.
Project HOPE – Egypt
Maadi Sporting and Yacht Club
Embassy of finland
Horus Real Estate Investments Company S.A.E.
Distribution Casino France
Vitas Egypt for Microfinance
Al Marai Company
Danish Egyptian Dialogue Institute (DEDI)
Ard El Kheir Holding for Financial Investments (Affiliated company of Misr El Kheir Foundation)
Middle East Communication Network – MCN
Education Development Trust
Zasio Enterprises, Inc
Tokio Marine Egypt General Takaful S.A.E.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Egypt World Trade
Capital Group Properties
Upper Egypt Investment Company
Ali Pay (referred to us by Sidley Austin LLP.
Assuit Entrepreneurs Association
Misr Life Insurance
Resolute Egypt Limited
Tanmeya Micro Enterprise Services
Qual Pro LTD.
Weatherford Oil Tool Middle East Ltd
The Factum Foundation for Digital Technology in Conservation
Pinsent Masons LLP – Transaction Network Services (“TNS”)
GEOFIZYKA TORUN S.A.
Goods Mart Ltd
London International Patient Services (“LIPS”)
Mayar Holding Company
Niederer Kraft & Frey
United Oils and Foods Co. (UNI OIL)
Samsung C & T Co – Representative Office – Confidential
Red Cross International Committee
Red Sea Resort S.A.E.
Rofayda for Women & Child Health
Società Italiana per Condotte d’Acqua S.p.A
Mena Health Partners
CIH International LLC
Egypt Capital Partners
Egypt Learning Group for Educational Services S.A.E.
Al Ghanim Group
Al Safat Investment Company KSC
- Advised El Sewedy Electric Company on the joint venture with The Arab Contractors Company regarding Tanzania’s Rufiji Hydropower Project.
- Acted for Ray Lab on its acquisition of the entire shares of Meta Med.
- Advised El Pharonia Real Estate Investment on the anticipated acquisition of 90% of Raya Holding for Financial Investments S.A.E. through a mandatory tender offer.
Zulficar & Partners Law Firm's M&A group led by Ingy Badawy and its capital markets practice led by Anwar Zeidan are highly respected and have a long track record in acquisitions, joint ventures, IPOs and ECM transactions, frequently involving overseas investors. Clients include IBM, Sodic, Cemex and CI Capital. Founding partners Firas El Samad, who leads the anti-trust practice, and Mona Zulficar are also highly regarded.
Ingy Badawy; Anwar Zeidan; Firas El Samad; Mona Zulficar
TAQA Arabia and all its subsidiaries
National Holdings/Scope Invest
Cleopatra Hospital Company
Suez Cement Company
CIRA (Cairo Investment & Real Estate Development)
EFG Hermes Holding
Five Star Flower Mills
Catalyst Investment Management
Alcazar Energy Egypt
Fawry for Banking Technology and Electronic Payments
- Advised on the IPO of Fawry for Banking Technology and Electronic Payment S.A.E. on the Egyptian Exchange for a value of $275m.
- Handled the IPO of Cairo for Investment & Real Estate Development on the Egyptian Exchange at LE1.244bn.
- Advised Chemical Industries Holding Company and Eastern Company S.A.E. on the IPO of 4.5% of Eastern Company SAE, the first secondary stake offering in the state privatisation programme.
Alliance Law Firm - Egypt has 'the skills and knowledge to assess risks and provide the services and legal advice while maintaining the balance between the legal, business and commercial aspects'. The firm provides corporate and M&A advice to companies in a range of sectors, including energy, finance, oil and gas, heavy industry, hospitality, IT, insurance, telecoms, pharmaceutical and transport. Senior partner Ashraf Abou Elkheir and managing partner Ahmed Hafez are the key corporate and anti-trust practitioners.
Ashraf Abou Elkheir; Ahmed Hafez
‘The team is so attentive, qualified, knowledgeable and has a great understanding of clients’ business needs. They have the skills and knowledge to assess risks and provide the services and legal advice while maintaining the balance between the legal, business and commercial aspects.‘
‘The majority of the firms are risk-averse and provide their advice from a purely legal perspective without considering the business needs and accordingly in many cases their advice is not practical, unlike Alliance, which is able to provide advice with calculated risks to fulfil the business objectives whenever possible.‘
‘Being business oriented and thinking out of the box to provide practical legal advice and solutions with great knowledge and skill is Alliance Law Firm’s strength.‘
Ezz Elarab Motors
Commercial international Bank
Ahli United Bank
Bunge Import & Export
Global Holding Group
- Advising the buyer on the acquisition of 100% of a Turkish company which owns a number of major real estate assets in Turkey.
- Assisting the purchasers with the acquisition of 20% of CI Capital Holding (among a planned 100% acquisition by other purchasers), which is the third largest investment banking firm in Egypt.
- Advising Icon Egypt on submitting a mandatory tender offer for acquiring 70% of Acrow’s capital through a hybrid offer.
Dentons Egypt LLC
Dentons Egypt LLC has a blue-chip client base of international clients, among which is Noble Group, and the practice, which is led by Michael Lacey, advises on the establishment of local offices in Egypt, as well as high-value M&A transactions. Consultant Frederique Leger plays a key role in the practice and senior associate Ahmed Kamal is also noted.
Radisson Hotels ApS Danmark
Amazon International LLC
Air Lease Corporation (ALC)
Hong Kong Konka Limited
LG Chem Limited
Thales Amewa FZE
Vestas Eólica S.A.U.
America-Mideast Educational and Training Services (AMIDEAST)
Glovo App Technology Egypt, LLC
The Blackstone Group International Partners LLP
Noble Energy Mediterranean Limited and Delek Drilling
- Advising Radisson Hotels ApS Danmark on branch, corporate, real estate and tax issues as well as completed work relating to the model franchise agreement for Quorvus Collection for Rezidor Hotel Group NV.
- Assisting Amazon International LLC with the restructuring of Amazon Egypt LLC, preparing the company for liquidation and the opening of a new legal entity.
- Advising Air Lease Corporation and its subsidiaries on the local registration of aircraft and the related lease with FlyEgypt.
Ibrachy Legal Consultancy frequently acts for multinational corporations, investment banks and private equity funds on M&A deals. Ashraf Elibrachy and Sara Hinton are highly experienced in cross-border matters. The group advises well-established companies and start-ups, government agencies and financial institutions, and it has particular expertise in the telecoms industry.
Ashraf Elibrachy; Sara Hinton
Levari, which works closely with international law firm BDB Pitmans, fields a team of 'competent, hardworking, focused lawyers who are committed to quality, accountability and loyalty'. Practice head Sherif Hefni, co-founder Mohamed Raslan, experienced finance and commercial partner Mohamed Shaaban and associate Amr Hareedy, who focuses predominantly on work for small and medium-sized enterprises, are the firm's key lawyers for corporate restructuring, M&A, fundraising, joint ventures, corporate advisory and commercial contracts.
‘What makes this practice unique is the team’s strengths and capabilities which include sharing skills and expertise with its clients, providing back-up and additional help when needed, sharing resources, and using highly trained associates, legal assistants and support staff.‘
‘Competent, hardworking, focused Lawyers. Committed to quality, accountability and loyalty.‘
‘The lawyers show a willingness to place the interests of the client ahead of personal Interests, and they have a positive legal attitude and spirit.‘
‘The team members always show a genuine commitment to the work, and they are are reliable, responsible, always ready to help and flexible. They are problem solvers and active listeners.‘
‘Sherif Hefni and Mohamed Shaaban stand out in a team that is dynamic and flexible. I would say that Levari is one of the best professional service providers we are dealing with.‘
- Advised Andela, a US company that specialises in training software developers, on various corporate matters.
- Provided a legal opinion on commercial agency law to Montblanc International, which wants to terminate its agency in Egypt.
- Advised World Bank Group on insolvency law in Egypt and contracts concluded with the government.
Marghany Advocates is known for its 'dedication and commitment to its clients, for which it acts as their partner not just their lawyer'. The practice, which is led by Amir Marghany, handles a considerable number of cross-border transactions in fast-growing sectors such as IT. Hend El Hakim is also highly regarded.
‘The firm has an excellent understanding of both local and international legal procedures.‘
‘Dedication and commitment to clients and acts as their partners and not just their lawyers.‘
‘It has the ability to tailor advice according to the needs and size of client.‘
‘Amir Marghany is always available and willing to go the extra mile and make all efforts needed to support us.‘
- Assisted Massachusetts Institute of Technology with establishing its Egyptian subsidiary.
- Advising Dell on lease and construction services agreements for its Egyptian subsidiary.
- Advised Whatsapp Inc, on various regulatory matters with respect to its application.
MHR & Partners in association with White & Case continues to build its market share in Egypt, working with Egyptian companies to support outbound investment, as well assisting local and global corporates, financial institutions and government institutions with large corporate transactions. Said Hanafi, Tarek Mohanna and Walid El Daly are the key local partners for M&A and ECM work; they work closely with Philip Stopford in London.
Said Hanafi; Tarek Mohanna; Walid El Daly
ADES International Holding Ltd.
Cairo for Investment and Real Estate Development (CIRA)
Palm Hills Developments
Hasan Allam Holdings
Orascom Development Holding
Meeting Point International
- Advised Jefferies International Limited and CI Capital IB, as the joint global coordinators, on the IPO and Egyptian Exchange listing of 225,637,282 ordinary shares of CI Capital Holding S.A.E for EGP1.73bn in an international offering to institutional investors and a retail offering in Egypt.
- Assisted Cairo for Investment and Real Estate Development S.A.E. (CIRA) as issuer on the IPO and Egyptian Exchange listing of 207,259,025 ordinary shares by Social Impact Capital Ltd and CIRA’s other existing shareholders for EGP1.24bn.
- Acting for Ades International Holding Ltd, a leading provider of offshore and onshore oil and gas drilling and production services company, on its IPO on the London Stock Exchange.
Sharkawy & Sarhan
Sharkawy & Sarhan frequently handles big-ticket transactions in areas including banking, power, infrastructure, oil and gas, TMT and fintech. Mohamed Hazzaa leads the practice and focuses on M&A, capital markets transactions and infrastructure projects; he and senior associate Heba Raslan are highly regarded. Mohamed Abdelgawad and several associates joined new firm ADSERO-Ragy Soliman & Partners.
‘Sharkwawy & Sarhan is a pleasure to work with in that it is very responsive and gives real insights into the issues that will be faced – and how to address them – from their extensive experience on other similar complex transactions.‘
‘I have found Karim Sarhan to be very easy to deal with. He is smart, he knows the issues well and he comes up with alternative solutions rapidly.‘
‘It is an independent law firm with a strong local presence. It understands the wider context of the instructions.‘
‘Senior associate Heba Raslan was exceptionally hard-working and responsive.‘
Soliman, Hashish & Partners enters the ranking following its involvement in high-profile cross-border deals. The firm, which is a founder of the United Nations Global Compact Egypt Network, works solely for multi-national corporate clients, among which are Suez International, Alstom and Hewlett Packard Enterprise. Mohamed Hashish and Frederic Soliman are 'excellent lawyers supported by a team that is very well trained, committed and managed'. Associate Marwa AlSherif is also noted.
Mohamed Hashish; Frederic Soliman
‘All of the firm’s associates are very supportive and professional in their transactions. They collaborate together to finalise the scope of work in a very short time and with a very high quality.‘
‘Marwa AlSherif is an enthusiastic lawyer who always follow up on the tasks she is handling and thinks outside the box to come up with exceptional solutions.‘
‘Mohamed Hashish is a one-of-a-kind lawyer and an excellent partner! He is very well organised and understands both the business needs and local/international laws very well. Therefore, he will always come back to you with outstanding advice.‘
‘The team is very responsive and has a practical and commercial approach to legal advice.‘
‘Mohammed Hashish is professional, responsive, business-minded and nice to work with.‘
‘The firm has excellent knowledge of Egyptian law but focuses on working with international clients which ensures that they fully understand and are familiar with the expectations of international clients and international law firms.‘
‘They co-operate very well with international counsel and are very easy to work with even on complex transactions. The firm is very motivated to grow and cement their recognition in the market place. Definitely a top firm in Egypt.‘
‘Mohamed Hashish is an excellent lawyer, with great Egyptian law knowledge and expertise across various sectors. His transactional legal advice is very practical and precise and of the highest quality.‘
‘Mohamed Hashish is always available and responsive and highly motivated and works hard for his clients. His solutions are business oriented but also legally very sound, which is extremely helpful when working with international clients. He is committed to manage the team and grow the firm which is excellent to see.‘
French Embassy in Cairo
Alstom Egypt for Power Projects
Alstom International Egypt
Grid Solutions for Electrical Networks
Alstom Water Systems
Clyde & Co
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
New Zealand Trade and Enterprise
Africa Crest Education Group
Agence Française de Développement
Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
FAE Services Limited
GE International Inc.
GE Oil & Gas
GE Power Conversion France
General Electric Global Services GmbH
Mapei Egypt for Construction Chemicals
Nuovo Pignonev S.p.A
Vega Petroleum Limited
Vetco Gray Egypt Limited
Africa Crest For Investment AlBourouj
Africa Crest for Investment New Cairo Capital R3
Arizona State University
CSC Computer Sciences Egypt
Fluor Daniel Overseas, Inc.
Fluor Transworld Services, Inc.
Global Compact Network Egypt Company
International Business Company Formation, Inc.
Schultze & Braun GmbH
Geneva Business School
GE Energy Switzerland GmbH
- Acted for General Electric on the construction of solar power plants in BenBan, Aswan.
- Advised Fluor Cooperation on the implementation of a phosphoric acid production project.
- Advising Mapei Group on starting a business in Egypt including, inter alia, the incorporation of an Egyptian subsidiary.
TMS Law Firm – Taha, Moussa & Sabahi
TMS Law Firm – Taha, Moussa & Sabahi acts for large multi-national corporates and private equity firms on large cross-border transactions. Ehab Taha and Khaled Moussa are key names, while the practice was further bolstered by the arrival of legal director Zeinab Shohdy from Al Tamimi & Company. General Electric and Compass Capital are among its clients.
- Advised SPE on its acquisition of a minority stake of Future Pharmaceutical Industries.
- Advising GE on the Egyptian aspect of its global restructuring.
- Acting for Compass Capital on its investment in and acquisition of Bonyan, the owning company of the Designopolis commercial and administrative building in Sheikh Zayed.
Bahaa-Eldin Law Office in cooperation with BonelliErede
Bahaa-Eldin Law Office in cooperation with BonelliErede enters the ranking on the back of its strong showing for Italian and international companies operating in Egypt. Former Egyptian deputy prime minister Ziad Bahaa-Eldin is of counsel in charge of the Cairo office, which counts Central Bank of Egypt, National Bank of Egypt and The Boston Consulting Group among its client list for corporate matters.
Ziad Bahaa-Eldin; Gianfranco Veneziano
‘Excellent work is delivered by the team. It has been a pleasure working with very knowledgeable and highly committed professionals.‘
‘Ziad Bahaa Eldin and Mostafa Moussa were outstanding and provided a real value add to our company. They were efficient, reactive and very attentive to our needs and they have a deep understanding of the insurance sector.‘
Central Bank of Egypt
National Bank of Egypt
Insutech – International Company for Insulation Technology
The Boston Consulting Group
- Advising Insutech on day-to-day corporate and contractual matters.
- Assisting Menarini Industrie Farmaceutiche Riunite s.r.l. with its corporate presence and its commercial agency agreements in Egypt.
- Advised Vinavil S.p.A., an industry leader in Europe in fine and secondary chemistry and a subsidiary of the Mapei Group, on establishing its hub for the Middle East in Egypt.
Ibrachy & Dermarkar frequently acts for global brands on cross-border transactions. Among its high-profile clients in the transport sector are Saudi Arabian Airlines and Mercedes Benz. It also acts for major clients in sectors including energy and pharmaceuticals. Bahieldin H. Z. Elibrachy and Mohamed Ramadan are respected practitioners.
Bahieldin Elibrachy; Ahmed Elsaied; Mohamed Ramadan; Mona Osama
Saudi Arabian Airlines
- Acted for DIB Egypt, as seller, on the $12m company sale to an Egyptian investor.
Karim Adel Law Office's name partner Karim Adel has more than 25 years' experience in M&A transactions and he frequently acts for multi-national companies in cross-border acquisitions. His recent work includes establishing the local office for Italian company Fidia Pharma. German-qualified consultant Christian Ule is also noted.
- Advised the buyer, a Dubai entity IMF, on the acquisition of an Egyptian company.
- Assisted Italian pharmaceutical company Fidia with the establishment of a subsidiary in Egypt and with the negotiation of a non-exclusive commercial agency agreement with its Egyptian agent.
- Advised on the establishment of a representative office for the German power company Steag.
Legalia Law Office enters the ranking on the back of its expertise in advising start-ups and well-established multi-national companies on business structuring, investment and regulatory matters. 'Responsive and helpful' lead partner Hamdy Mostafa has 22 years' market experience and was previously head of corporate at an international firm. Clients include adidas and PwC Egypt.
Hamdy Mostafa; Ashraf Ghallab; Mahmoud Galal; Batool Oleimy
‘We have a very long relationship with Legalia and they consistently deliver on multiple commitments with accuracy, even when under pressure. We have been dealing with Hamdy Mostafa for more than 20 years and he has very long experience and very good connections in the Egyptian market.‘
‘Across the Egyptian market, the unique strength relies on three pillars at Legalia Law firm – quality, ethics and exposure. There is absolutely no chance to compromise on quality, the ethics of the team is at all times up to international standards, and the track record of the managing partners allows accurate and quick response to our requirements and inquiries.‘
‘The team as whole perform with speed as problem solvers. The track record of the managing director allows the rest of the team to validate their solutions quickly and serve us at an outstanding pace.‘
‘Due to the nature of the Egyptian market, we are obliged to validate options (in terms of execution with the regulator) in advance. This is where the team’s efficiency appears; from addressing the right questions to the regulators, validating options and advising on a solution to flawless execution.‘
‘Hamdy Mostafa and Ashraf Ghallab have helped during our growth phase. Their commitment to achievement and ethics is consistently outstanding.‘
‘The team can be described as supportive and helpful in the commercial and corporate issues which we dealt in with them.‘
‘What stands out is the professionalism in the work and the quick feedback and flexibility in meeting deadlines and short notice requests.‘
‘The firm provides an excellent level of service. The team provides international level service, and is both knowledgeable and prompt in responding. It is a safe “go-to” firm.‘
‘Hamdy Mostafa is an excellent partner with in-depth working knowledge of law and procedure in Egypt. It is definitely my go to firm there.‘
‘The firm has strong local experience and knowledge of rules and regulations on various matters.‘
‘It has a very supportive team that is easy to approach. Hamdy Mostafa can discuss any business topic and provide professional advice with a wide area of expertise and strong knowledge of local practices.‘
‘Hamdy Mostafa was of a great help and support. His professionalism and understanding of our case made a huge difference in bringing us the value we were looking for.‘
Sameem Financial Investments;
Clyde & Co.;
Hathout & Co.
- Assisted Wilo SE with establishing their legal presence in Egypt including its importation arm.
- Advising adidas on its corporate issues including handling all corporate secretarial work.
- Represented Sameem Financial Investments in acquiring 26% equity in a listed Egyptian Company.
NAL & Partners handles a growing volume of M&A and corporate advisory work. Managing partner Nermien Al-Ali frequently assists technology start-ups with corporate matters. Her recent work includes advising Algebra Ventures on tech sector start-ups, including an online healthcare service company.
- Handled a due diligence exercise for Algebra Ventures – European Bank Netherlands Fund on a number of technology start-ups in Egypt including online health care service company.
- Acted as corporate counsel for a number of prominent new start-up companies developing mobile accident detection technology in collaboration with a Japanese University, and providing online face-to-face English language tutoring.
- Acting as corporate counsel to MSD Egypt, Egyptian Banks Company, National Bank of Egypt and Boyden ME among others.
Riad & Riad provides legal advice to leading global and local corporations, investment banks, private equity providers and state entities. Its services encompass public and private M&A, restructurings, private equity and venture capital investments, shareholders agreements and corporate governance. Practice head Fatma Salah is a respected corporate lawyer and litigator. Clients include Birkenstock and Marubeni.
Kellogg’s Tolaram JV
China-Africa Development Fund
TouGas Oilfield Solutions GmbH
- Advising British company Tensar, a pioneer in the field of drilling equipment, heavy industries and equipment, on drafting and concluding distribution contracts for its products in Egypt.
- Advised Foodics on the establishment of its subsidiary in Egypt.
- Acting as local legal adviser to TouGas Oilfield Solutions GmbH ion its proposed acquisition of the subsidiary of Ecore MENA Limited in Egypt.
Riad, Saleh & Partners has 'a very experienced and sophisticated corporate team that can deal with matters in a very smart way'. The firm acts for domestic and foreign clients doing business in Egypt in sectors including healthcare, hospitality, food and beverage, and energy. Founding partners Mohamed Saleh and Hesham Riad are the key contacts for finance and corporate matters.
Mohamed Kamel Saleh; Hesham Riad
‘The team I worked with in this firm is really talented at finding legal solutions and is well aware of legal updates that help in protecting our practices.‘
‘Hesham Riad is the partner I worked with and he is a very business-oriented problem solver who is fast to respond.‘
‘The legal services that they provide are really impressive, Those guys know how business operates.‘
‘Associates Sahar Said and Islam Ansary Saleh are always available and ready to help in a timely manner.‘
‘The firm has solid experience in corporate law and owns their tools in the M&A deals. They know how to manage cross-border deals.‘
‘Mohamed Saleh is an M&A expert and has an extensive track record in this practice.‘
‘Hesham Riad demonstrated a remarkable legal experience and unique knowledge in business and corporate practice. He was acting as a true business partner.‘
‘They are honest, smart and accurate, and they have focused practice areas that efficiently serve our best business interests.‘
‘It was a great experience, as the respective teams are specialised in what they are doing. They worked on several corporate matters and M&A deals and that is obvious from the smooth running of their legal work.‘
‘Mohamed Saleh is a pioneer in the M&A practice area, starting from the due diligence process with the team up to drafting the definitive agreements and closing the deal.‘
‘It was an exceptional experience for plenty of reasons – the team’s thorough understanding and spotting of all related laws and regulations to a specific case, the efficiency in information acquisition from different sources especially when European entity and standards are in scope, and finally the responsive attitude which above all shows seriousness and responsibility of all matters.‘
‘Riad, Saleh & Partners are very responsive, especially in M&A deals which require prompt replies and feedback while dealing with other parties of the deal, especially the investment banking teams who always require quick responses along with a proper quality of service.‘
‘They provide practical advice in corporate matters which facilitates business operations.‘
‘They are a very good team with a great experience, loyalty, fast responses, high credibility and high customer satisfaction.‘
‘The firm is diligent and has experts in cross-border deals. They are familiar with the international standards.‘
‘Mohamed Saleh and the team are accessible and he is an expert in the M&A field.‘
‘The team consists of high-calibre individuals who have extensive technical knowledge and experience.‘
‘The individuals are responsive and well informed. They will make sure that they research the subject well before offering final opinion.‘
‘The practice is unique given the team’s vast capabilities and diverse disciplinary knowhow, giving clients access to a wide array of expertise. They definitely rank high in comparison to those providing similar services in the market.‘
‘Mohamed Saleh is professional, trustworthy and totally commits himself to the job at hand. He has an outstanding personality which reflects upon his whole team.‘
‘The team was competent and caring. They made sure to listen very well and advise us legally. They are open-minded and creative in finding solutions to their clients.‘
Air Liquide Group
Chubb Life Insurance
Integrated Diagnostics Holdings (IDH)
Golden West Seeds
Tokio Marine Insurance
Ahram Security Group
Al Borg Laboratories
Echo Scan Nigeria
Echo Lab Nigeria
- Advised an Egyptian steel company on its $50m syndicated loan from several banks in Egypt.
- Acted for Air Liquide Group on several commercial deals.
- Advised Vena Medical Company, a company which is incorporated in London, on its corporate structure and investment in Egypt.
Al-Bedeawi & Partners LLP
Al-Bedeawi & Partners LLP enters the ranking on the back of its strong showing for an increasingly international client base, notably in the hotel management sector. The firm also handles a growing volume of work in franchising for international brands. Founding partner Muhammad Al-Bedeawi is the lead practitioner and frequently advises on regulatory compliance and general corporate matters.
Glovoapp 23, S.L.
MM Law Firm
MM Law Firm is primarily a litigation firm but it maintains an active corporate and M&A practice, where founding partner Mahmoud Mostafa and senior associate Muhammad Saleh are key names The firm counts foreign embassies, international banks and investors from the GCC region among its clients.