Sport in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP's diverse sports-related work spans governance, regulatory, property, employment, health and safety, contentious and commercial matters. It also handles high-value sporting transactions and insurance-related work connected with significant injuries. The practice, which is jointly led by Peter Jones in Nottingham and Birmingham-based Kevin Lawson, represents a number of national sporting organisations and governing bodies.
Peter Jones; Kevin Lawson;
Other key lawyers:
Motorsport Vision Limited
Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club (1982) Limited
- Acting for Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club (1982) Limited in its defence against copyright infringement proceedings brought by Peter Davies.
- Acting for Zorb Football following two claimants allegedly suffering severe brain injuries when they clashed heads during a game of zorb football.
Geldards LLP's team is particularly knowledgeable about the tennis and football industries, but it assist clients across all forms of sport on a range of sponsorship, endorsement and licensing matters. Led by Jamie Goldberg, the group advises several high-profile tennis players on their commercial activities and agreements. In the football space, it undertakes employment matters, high-value disputes, corporate reorganisations and commercial contracts. It is also knowledgeable about FA and EFL regulations.
Derby County Football Club
Dukes Meadows Tennis Centre
- Acted for Derby County Football Club in its High Court claim involving former Chief Executive, Sam Rush.
- Advised Edward Smith on his appointment by the England and Wales Cricket Board as Head National Selector for the England Cricket Team.
- Acting on The Lawn Tennis Association’s appointment of Dukes Meadows as a Regional Player Development Centre.
- The employment of Frank Lampard as First Team Manager and related commercial agreements along with the terms of employment of Gary Rowett and subsequent termination thereof.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP serves a client base comprising of sporting associations, professional sports clubs, elite athletes and governing bodies. The exploitation of commercial rights, governance and regulation, and dispute resolution are among the group’s recent areas of activity. It also advise clients on the full gamut of employment matters, funding issues, rules and regulations, brand protection, image rights and sponsorship agreements. The highly recommended Ed Wright leads the practice.
‘A very strong knowledgeable team who understand the complexities of the client’s organisation and business sector. Easy and enjoyable to work with’.
‘The team is incredibly supportive, passionate, knowledge and has an extremely strong work ethic’.
Commonwealth Games England
My mHealth Ltd
RoadtoHealth Group Limited
Six EZ 1
Sheffield and Hallamshire Football Association
- Advised British Orienteering on preparation of suitable template trademark licence agreement.
- Advised Commonwealth Games England on its various contractual requirements for team members, officials and volunteers.
- Acting as Commonwealth Games England’s in house General Counsel during the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.
- Advising My mHealth on commercial agreement associated with its investment in Yooblr platform.
- Advising Ping Europe on its GDPR compliance.