Sport in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP has strong expertise in sport, with a particular strength in motor sports. The team represents sporting organisations and has experience of both professional and amateur sports. Notable highlights for the firm included successfully defending Wolverhampton Wanderers against a copyright infringement claim. The main contact in Nottingham is Peter Jones, who has a strong background in sport-related employment matters.
‘The team had a great expertise in the sports sector and offered practical, client-focused commercial advice to our wellbeing, sports and fitness platform to help us achieve our aim.’
AFC Wimbledon PLC
Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
Sports Information Services (“SIS”)
Motorsport Vision Limited
WELD Health Ltd
- Assisted AFC Wimbledon Plc with the funding of its stadium.
- Advised Wolverhampton Wanderers FC on a claim alleging copyright infringement concerning wolf head logo.
- Acted for Motorsport Vision Limited, the new owners of Donington Park, on leasing of part of the site.
Geldards LLP is well-known for its work in tennis and football, with strong expertise in sponsorship, endorsement and licensing agreements. The team also advises clients on sports media, events and equestrian matters. The firm recently advised AXS.com on the sale of tickets at the O2 Arena for the Tennis World Tour finals and various other events. Jamie Goldberg heads up the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent in the areas of sports sponsorship, and important for us they understand the worlds of YouTube and social media.’
‘Jamie Goldberg is an expert in all the areas relevant to our business and always available for advice. Daniel Greatorex is hard-working and very reliable.’
Derby County Football Club
Formidable Media Limited
WH Security Limited
AXS Europe Limited
- Advised Derby County Football Club on the Club’s signing of Wayne Rooney and connected commercial arrangements with the Club’s sponsors.
- Advised AXS.com on the sale of tickets at the O2 Arena for the Tennis World Tour finals and various other events.
- Advised WH Security Limited on its services framework with the National Football League for security services required by NFL staff and players during their time in the UK as part of the NFL fixtures being played at both Wembley Stadium and the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP advises on a broad cross-section of sports-related matters for a diverse client base, including individual sporting associations, elite athletes and governing bodies. It also provides in-house legal counsel for large organisations across a wide range of sporting disciplines. The team's work includes advice on the exploitation of commercial rights, governance and regulation, and dispute resolution. Team head Ed Wright works with Rhys Wyborn, who leads the employment side of the practice.
‘Good in-depth knowledge of the technology area.’
‘I have worked with Ed Wright and Duncan James over a number of years. They really do understand what drives an SME in the technology space and they are very good value. They always under-promise and over-deliver which I find refreshing in a legal firm, and if there are any overspends/variation in the work they get them pre-approved before undertaking those additional activities.’
‘Friendly and open, honest approach.’
‘Explains complex legal issues in simple to understand terms. Personable approach, service driven approach to doing business and doesn’t feel clinical.’
Commonwealth Games England (CGE)
My mHealth Ltd
RoadtoHealth Group Limited
Sheffield and Hallamshire Football Association
- Assisted Commonwealth Games England with the drafting of athlete and official team member agreement, volunteer agreement and athlete selection policies and procedures.
- Advising British Orienteering on trademark licensing issues in developing the client’s Xplorer product for organisations like schools and sports centres, in order to protect the brand and increase its revenue potential.
- Assisting INCUS Performance with reviewing product reference guide and preparing/drafting consistent terms and conditions of supply and other matters.