Browne Jacobson LLP acts on 'a wide variety of high quality sports work', both contentious and non-contentious, and has the 'ability to draw on other areas of the team's expertise', such as insurance, corporate governance, regulatory, property, employment, commercial, health and safety to provide a rounded service to sports clients. For example, Kevin Lawson, a specialist for complex and serious injury claims, regularly assists in leisure and equine claims and acts for governing bodies in various sport disciplines. Peter Jones is an employment specialist who assists sport clubs with terminations of employment, disciplinary matters and settlement agreements.
Sport in East Midlands
Peter Jones; Kevin Lawson
‘Browne Jacobson’s sports team deals with a wide variety of high quality sports work and is unique in its ability to draw on other areas of the team’s expertise, for example its defendant personal injury specialism. Members of the team are without exception specialists in their field and possess a unique knowledge of the industries in which they operate. They are incredibly client focussed in their outlook and regularly achieve good results for their clients through the application of technical knowledge and a commercial/pragmatic approach.’
‘The firm was uniquely well set up to deal with post pandemic ways of working, having always operated efficient electronic document management systems.’
‘Kevin Lawson is a highly experienced sports lawyer. His technical expertise and knowledge of the industry is second to none. He is very quickly able to identify the key issue in a case and his commercial and pragmatic approach is highly valued by his very loyal insurer clients. From a litigation perspective Kevin is a master tactician. From the outset of a case he brings to bear a uniquely strategic approach which invariably yields exceptional results. He is also a fantastic team player and gets the best out of all those he works with.’
AFC Wimbledon PLC
Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
Sports Information Services
Motorsport Vision Limited
WELD Health Ltd
- Advised AFC Wimbledon on raising £14m for the development of the Club’s new Stadium at Plough Lane. £7.5m was raised via crowdfunding and the Club also secured £2.5m investment from a supporter.
- Successfully defended a claim alleging copyright infringement concerning the wolf head logo of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.
- Successful defence of a paraplegic claim where an indoor climber fell from the top of a climbing wall when his belay support mechanism failed to prevent his fall.
Geldards LLP offers a broad array of legal services to the sports sector, including advice on sponsorship agreements, endorsements, disciplinary proceedings and licensing issues, acting for individuals, governing bodies and corporations. Additionally, as the exclusive legal partner of The Professional Body of Sports Leadership, the firm acts for senior executives, high performance specialists and non-executive directors in the sports industry. Jamie Goldberg heads the practice and advises clients on all commercial affairs. Jonathan Butler is a specialist in regulatory matters and dispute resolution, particularly in football.
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Butler; Simon Davers; Sarah Bailey
‘Having worked extensively with both the litigation and corporate teams at Geldards over the last year during the pandemic, they have managed to continue as normal, providing the same quality of service for a number of large cases and transactions with successful conclusions. All communication and key information has been kept on track.’
‘Jonathan Butler has worked on some very high profile cases for us over the last few years and his expertise, diligence, ability to research and understand some very technical, industry specific financial and governance related regulations has been key to the success of our cases.’
‘Simon Davers shows legal experience in order to lead on the corporate finance front and also assist other partners and associates within the firm across all of our legal requirements, whether that be employment, litigation or corporate finance. He is always available at any time, not just 9-5, which in our industry that is not a 9-5 business is key.’
Derby County Football Club
Rogue Ignite Limited
Professional Body of Sports Leadership
WH Security Limited
ACE Group International Limited
British Boxing Board of Control Ltd
- Successfully acted for Derby County Football Club in high profile disciplinary proceedings relating to the Championship Profit and Sustainability Rules.
- Advised ACE Group International Limited in High Court proceedings against leading tennis player Alexander Zverev.
- Advised Radar Advisors Limited, on its appointments by a Championship football club and two Premiership rugby clubs.
The sport law department at Shakespeare Martineau LLP acts for a range of clients, including individual athletes, governing bodies and sporting associations. The team assists with commercial issues, such as funding, endorsements and sponsorships, as well as regulatory aspects. Contentious matters encompass doping and disciplinary issues and contractual fallouts. Rhys Wyborn specialises in employment law and advises athletes on matters including negotiating terms of severances. Ed Wright advises, among others, on commercial contracts with high profile sports brands and has assisted in the drafting of athlete and official team member agreements.
Ed Wright; Rhys Wyborn
My mHealth Ltd
Sheffield and Hallamshire Football Association
Grassroots Football Media Limited
- Advised Replay Maintenance in relation to redrafting standard software licence terms for their maintenance software package/product, preparing appropriate preliminary heads of terms and template software licensing agreements for third party arrangements in Australia and US and negotiated the terms of an appropriate US intellectual property rights licence agreement.
- Advised on product-consistent terms and conditions of supply, a number of template agreements and a collaboration agreement to act as a contractual framework for a range of ongoing collaborative project(s) with the Professional Triathletes Organisation (PTO).
- Advised British Orienteering on trademark licensing issues in developing the client’s Xplorer product for organisations like schools and sports centres.