Intellectual property in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP's ‘very impressive’ practice generates work from domestic and international brand-name clients, thanks to its full-service offering on intellectual property matters. It undertakes both transactional and advisory work, and acts for clients in trade mark disputes. In addition, it is active in patent, design and copyright matters, as well as substantial licensing, co-branding and collaboration agreements. Led by London-based Declan Cushley, the team has a strong profile among luxury and volume retailers, fashion brands and pharmaceutical companies. Other areas of sector expertise include telecommunications, banking and defence.
Other key lawyers:
‘Browne Jacobson’s collaborative and open approach is incredibly valuable. A willingness to think outside the box in how we can work together and the support they can provide drives a closer working relationship’.
‘Selina Hinchliffe has been a pleasure to work with and is reliable, open and honest. She listens to the needs of her clients and adapts provision accordingly – welcoming feedback. She is deeply commercial in her approach’.
Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club
London Electric Vehicle Company
KLK Forte Industry Inc (t/a Honey Punch)
GKN Aerospace Services Ltd
MACE Ltd – 10 years
Marston’s PLC – 5 years
Borough of Telford & Wrekin
Croydon County Council
- Advising Supra UK Limited on the licensing of its technology to a major US corporate who will manufacture the technology and supply back to Supra for sale throughout the world and who will have rights to sell itself directly into the US and Canada.
- Advising Albumedix Limited on numerous R & D projects and licensing arrangements whereby its licenses to third parties its various proprietary and patented rights in its core product for such third parties to sell and exploit the technology or to build into its own products or to develop new technologies.
- In readiness for its senior IP counsel leaving the business, GKN Aerospace Services Ltd engaged the team under an IP retainer whilst a suitable replacement is found.
At Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP, the team handles the gamut of contentious and non-contentious matters; its work includes advice on patents and copyrights, trade marks and comparative advertising, company names tribunal disputes and co-existence agreements. Team head Rupert Bent divides his time between the firm’s Nottingham and Birmingham office. The group acts for a mix of domestic and international clients, including those from industries such as retail, utilities, energy and sport.
Other key lawyers:
National Grid PLC
University of Derby
Genting Casinos UK Limited
Halewood International Limited
Manchester International Festival
- Assisting National Grid Plc with significant contractual work relating to its research and development activities.
- Continuing to advise the University of Derby on a broad range of IP matters/transactions, both on a stand-alone basis and in the context of broader commercial work.
- Advising Genting Casinos UK Limited on IP matters generally.
- Providing IP advice to Tombola Limited on a variety of transactional and branding matters.
- Providing IP advice to Manchester International Festival in relation to a variety of matters, mainly in relation to copyright.
Howes Percival LLP's team is particularly knowledgeable about the food and drinks industry, but it also acts for clients in other sectors, such as fashion, software and media. Practice head Matthew Talbot handles a wide variety of trade mark, copyright, patent and design rights disputes, and has notable experience of European Food Protection matters. The team's non-contentious work includes assisting several high-profile clients with trade mark filings and general portfolio management.
Other key lawyers:
Business Software Alliance, Inc. (“BSA”)
Start-rite Shoes Limited
Sequin Art Limited
Just Hype Limited
Shoe Zone Retail Limited
Charles Martell & Son Limited
APT Training & Consultancy Ltd
Memorial Walls Ltd
Imperial International Ltd
The National Forest Company
National Business Register
Internetwork Media Ltd
Samworth Brothers Ltd
- Instructed as sole representatives in the UK on behalf of the Business Software Alliance, whose members include Microsoft, Adobe, Siemens, Autodesk and many other software companies.
- Acting for FibreFab Limited as the claimant in a complex trade mark dispute with a competitor; the matter relates to the client’s branding and goes to the core of its business.
- Dealing with Just Hype Limited’s whole trade mark portfolio, including the drafting of necessary agreements to finalise the company’s IP arrangements
- Acting for Shoe Zone Retail Limited in relation to its IP portfolio, various trade mark and passing off matters, and registering new trade marks.
- Successfully acting for a leading mental health care training provider in a trade mark infringement claim.
Potter Clarkson LLP fields patent and trade mark attorneys, and also has a growing dispute resolution and commercial department. Its work notably includes representing high-profile clients in the Patents Court and IPEC, and also acting on major intellectual property transactions. Of particular note is Mark Snelgrove, who advises on a wide range of commercial intellectual property agreements, the drafting of policies and the ownership of intellectual property rights. The firm generates work from clients in sectors such as fashion, pharmaceuticals, luxury retail, biotech, chemicals and hi-tech.
Nick McDonald; Richard Roberts; Mark Snelgrove; Oliver Laing;
‘Richard Basset has built a team, is a master of his art, from client support to patent filing and prosecution to opposition practises. Absolute attention to detail and commercial focus‘.
‘They give sound advise from a legal perspective but they also consider the commercial aspects on projects which makes them stand out from other competitors. Mark Snelgrove, Simon Curtis, Ian Dee, Rob Pugh do an excellent job on patent litigation‘.
Curt G. Joa, Inc
General Hotel Management
- Acted for Alnylam Pharmaceuticals in strategically coordinated global litigation relating to RNA interference technology.
- Successfully defended Synseal Extrusions against an application for an interim injunction in the High Court during patent infringement proceedings initiated by Ultraframe (UK) Limited.
- The firm is acting for General Hotel Management (a luxury hotel management company based in Singapore) as the defendant in UK High Court proceedings connected with a multijurisdictional copyright infringement claim. This matter involves over 60 defendants internationally.
Gateley Plc’s practice was recently strengthened by the arrival of John Buckby from Spearing Waite to lead its practice. The firm acts for clients across a wide range of industries, with media and entertainment being a particularly notable sector specialism. Trade mark work is a cornerstone of the practice, with Buckby assisting clients with devising national and international application strategies, managing disputes in UK and EU registries and advising on technical areas (including comparative advertising and keyword advertising). Buckby also handles collaborations, license agreements and complex IP contracts.
‘John Buckby has exceptional knowledge and an ability to relate in providing trade mark information at basic level through to presenting to Directors. He is responsive and understanding, flexible when required in delivery of service’.
The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
Total Motion Limited
Menat Holdings Limited
- Represented the client in successful trade mark opposition and cancellation action before the UK trade mark registry, and currently acting for client in relation to appeal.
- Represented client in trade mark application filing strategy for vaping brands in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, and USA.
- Advised client on clearance and filing strategy for extending core brand into China.
Sector expertise at Geldards LLP encompasses the sports, healthcare, life sciences, fashion, creative industries and industrial design. Jointly headed by Michelle Craven-Faulkner and Jamie Goldberg, the team's offering spans the protection of IP, complex licensing agreements and disputes. In addition, clients are supported in respect of the registration of their trademarks, both nationally and internationally, while Craven-Faulkner is also a go-to name for advice on the commercialisation of IP.
Michelle Craven-Faulkner; Jamie Goldberg
Arctic Cabins Limited
BioCity Group Limited
Concrete Network Limited
Derby County Football Club
Ellis-Chadwick, Dr Fiona
Independence Products Limited
Paul Cummins Ceramics Limited
Till, Monty John
- Acting for Derby County FC in relation to an image rights licence with Frank Lampard.
- Instructed by Paul Cummins Ceramics Limited on a wide range of matters with a focus on protection and exploitation of intellectual property in the client’s artwork.
- Advised on a publishing agreement with McGraw-Hill relating to ‘The Principles and Practice of Marketing’.
- Advised a client on alleged infringement of its IP rights by a well-known UK organisation.
- Advised a luxury clothing and swimwear retailer on various matters including in relation to distribution and franchising arrangements.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited's contentious practice is led by Emma Ward, who has specialist knowledge of the technology, manufacturing and fashion industries. The firm advises clients on the full range of related work from strategy and specification through to prosecution and opposition proceedings. Harpreet Sandhu, who is the head of the non-contentious practice, assists clients with intellectual property ownership, exploitation and protection issues.
Emma Ward; Harpreet Sandhu;
‘Emma Ward is probably the most competent solicitor I have ever dealt with. She has the rare combination of high-level strategic thinking, careful attention to detail, and meticulous preparation’.
‘Emma Ward is exceptional in all areas; she is very helpful and knowledgeable’.
- Advising and representing a software developer client in claim for infringement of copyright, database rights, breach of confidence and contract in High Court.
- Advised client on defence against allegations of community design right infringement and related counterclaim for invalidity.
- Advises client on allegations of infringement of international design registration, designating the EU.
- Advising the client on a claim for breach of patent and know how licence.
- Advising a software developer client on a claim for infringement of the copyright in software.
Recommended for its ‘extensive product and industry knowledge’, Shakespeare Martineau LLP’s contentious offering is geared towards patent, design and brand-related work. Its team has notable experience of proceedings in the Patents Court and wider High Court, as well as the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court. On the non-contentious side, the group handles a broad cross-section of matters for clients from industries such as manufacturing, telecommunications, media and broadcasting, engineering and transport. Work for universities is a particular strength, with the firm being particularly active in the education sector. It also acts for rights holders policing online activity on retail and social media websites. Ed Wright and Martin Noble jointly lead the department.
Ed Wright; Martin Noble;
‘Engaging, service focussed individuals who are easy and enjoyable to work with. A very trustworthy group’.
‘A very professionally run outfit but with the feel of a trusted family lawyer who has your best interests in mind. They have an in-depth knowledge of commercial agreements around IP, Technology Agreements, Licensing and Trade agreements’.
‘Ed Wright has considerable knowledge of the medtech and technology sector. Ed has provided legal advice across a range of commercial requirements and also provides legal guidance, thoughts and advice in a friendly, easy to understand way and backs that up with solid agreements and commercial contracts’.
Nemaura Pharma and Dermal Diagnostics
ViVO Smart Medical Devices
Common Wealth Games England
Cambridge Weight Plan
University of Nottingham
- Representing the client as the patentee in relation to a patent dispute with Portasilo Limited.
- Representing Kagool Limited in IPEC proceedings issued by Fusion Workshop Limited relating to passing off and trade mark infringement.
- Advising client on various IP licensing arrangements.
- Advising client on various IP licensing arrangements.