Intellectual property in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP has a full-service IP offering, covering everything from IP audits and transactional work to litigation connected with various IP rights. The firm has particular expertise in the retail sector, including luxury retailers and fashion brands. The firm boasts an impressive client base with leading international clients such as LVMH Group and OSI Systems Inc, on top of many British household names including Boots and Fortnum & Mason. Declan Cushley in London leads the firm's national IP practice. In Nottingham, Selina Hinchliffe is 'highly experienced' in complex transactional matters. Paula Dumbill is also recommended.
‘The team’s approach is collegiate and collaborative. We treat them as an extension to the team and get a lot of value from both the work they deliver and the way in which they work with us, to help us upskill the team and ultimately make us more self-sustaining.’
‘Each individual is approachable, engaged and truly tries to understand us as a client and what motivates our instructing officers too. They really think outside the box and try to preempt our needs.’
‘The BJs team are extremely hands-on and practical in their approach to client issues and solutions – nothing is too much trouble and they will go out of their way to accommodate client requirements. Strong in many skill sets, the team have a particular strength in complex licence arrangements and in multi-party collaboration agreements. This extends through their tech and transaction teams into their IP teams.’
‘Selina Hinchliffe- beyond her peers in competence, experience and understanding of client needs. Highly experienced in complex transactional matters, yet able to advise and deliver in simple to understand terms. Shows genuine interest in clients’ businesses and in adding value. Whilst shared values within the BJs team, Selina stands out.’
Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club
London Electric Vehicle Company
KLK Forte Industry Inc (t/a Honey Punch)
GKN Aerospace Services Ltd
Borough of Telford & Wrekin
Croydon County Council
PAMIA Limited – Thomas Miller
Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd
A Ward Attachments Limited
Kings College London
- Advising Supra on the licensing of its technology to a major US corporate for manufacturing and supply back of its technology.
- Advising on the structure of Greenwood Academies Trust’s commercial offering of bespoke software including drafting a reseller agreement for in-licensing (and onward commercial use) of IP in software commissioned from commercial 3rd parties.
- Advising Dalet SA in connection with the purchase of a large trademark, patent and copyright portfolio which spans multiple jurisdictions acquired as part of a wider corporate transaction.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP has a full-service specialist IP practice and the firm's offering is enhanced by its international reach. The team has a strong reputation for its contentious practice, where it advises clients on issues relating to patents, trade marks and copyrights. The team demonstrates strong expertise in domain name disputes, licensing matters, and company names tribunal disputes. Practice head Rupert Bent has an extensive background in litigation, with a strong track record in the High Court and the Court of Appeal.
National Grid Plc
UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology
Genting Casinos UK Limited
Halewood International Limited
National Oceanography Centre
- Advised the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology on the IP aspects of its transition to independence from UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC).
- Advised Tombola Limited in respect of two domain name complaints, as well as general transactional and branding matters.
- Advising Halewood International Limited in relation to a number of IP disputes, involving allegations of passing off from the producers of the BBC TV series ‘Peaky Blinders’ in relation to Halewood’s ‘Peaky Blinder’ products (including beers and spirits).
Howes Percival LLP acts for the Business Software Alliance (whose members include leading names such as Microsoft and Siemens), regularly receiving enforcement instructions from the client. In addition, another key client is streetwear clothing brand Just Hype, for whom the firm handles trade mark registrations and applications in more than 50 countries, as well as multijurisdictional IP litigation. Practice head Matthew Talbot is an experienced IP litigator with an interest in food and drink law. Hannah Steggles and legal director Jenna Bruce are also recommended.
‘I have worked with Hannah Steggles in particular. She is very knowledgeable, on top of the issues and commercially focussed. She is also a lovely person to work with.’
Business Software Alliance, Inc.
De Montfort University
Start-rite Shoes Limited
Sequin Art Limited
Just Hype Limited
Shoe Zone Retail Limited
Charles Martell & Son Limited
APT Training & Consultancy Ltd
Memorial Walls Ltd
Imperial International Ltd
The National Forest Company
National Business Register
Internetwork Media Ltd
Samworth Brothers Ltd
Evolve IT Consulting Ltd
Viridian International Limited
- Act on behalf of the Business Software Alliance whose members include Microsoft, Siemens, Autodesk and many other software companies.
- Acting on behalf of Just Hype Limited in various contentious and non-contentious matters including cross border infringement actions, licensing and international trade mark portfolio management.
- Acting for US corporation Logistics Management in a copyright dispute against a UK company and individuals which resulted in a mediation and subsequent settlement.
Potter Clarkson LLP advises on all aspects of IP law and is particularly well-established in the biochemicals sector. Noted for its international reach, the firm has strengthened its presence with the opening of a second location in Denmark. The firm's litigation and licensing team has rapidly grown and undertakes high-profile and complex litigation cases. Key individuals include Mark Snelgrove and Richard Roberts. Also recommended is Nick McDonald, who was part of the team that defended Alnylam Pharmaceuticals against allegations of patent infringement.
‘Very professional. Quick response to issues.’
‘We have worked with them from the very beginning of our business, so they have grown with us and have an in depth knowledge of our business and technology. We trust their judgement.’
‘Good breadth of technical backgrounds of patent attorneys. Very large chem/biotech team.’
‘Richard Roberts (Partner) has a very commercial, pragmatic approach, but also fights our corner well with a view to achieving business aims.’
General Hotel Management Ltd
Alligator Bioscience AB
Hyundai Motor Company
- Defended Alnylam against allegations of patent infringement.
- Acting for General Hotel Management Ltd in UK High Court proceedings in defence of a multijurisdictional copyright infringement claim.
- Assisted Alligator Bioscience AB with negotiating and agreeing a licence agreement with Biotheus.
Gateley Plc offers clients specialist trade mark advice, handling UK and EU trade registries, as well as advising on complex IP-related contracts including collaboration agreements and international trade mark and copyright licences. Practice head John Buckby, who has 'deep expertise and knowledge', has a strong background in media and entertainment. Recent clients include Leicester Tigers rugby club, international shisha brand Al Fakher, and Marmalade Insurance.
‘John Buckby dealt with my case. He informed me of what he was doing and when he was doing it. He explained it in layman’s terms. He kept me updated the whole time and put me at ease with all the legal side of it. He was very professional throughout.’
‘John Buckby is a joy to work with – he really gets enthusiastic about assisting with the strategic management of my IP portfolio and is open to novel charging structures which is great for cost control. He works with great patent attorneys which also helps. The IP team overall is very responsive and commercial and I find them really accessible. Strong on IP litigation, protection and enforcement of trade marks, brands and copyright but in a no-nonsense way.’
‘John Buckby is really practical and keen to help in any way he can. He is assisted by Thomas Mould who is a real hard worker who always seems to have a smile on his face. Mailin Bala adds to the mix and is a specialist in IP and IT so she is a really useful resource for me for various projects. I love that they are super practical and don’t try and blind me with science. They just get stuck in to get the job done.’
‘I hugely value John Buckby’s input on IP and client contracts. He brings deep expertise and knowledge. He can quickly assess what is needed and is very responsive. Some of the requirements we have are time pressured and he finds a way to come back with solid advice and guidance, written in away that considers what both parties need to move things forward whilst protecting us. I always know he will understand what is required and, alongside this, he is very pragmatic and commercial.’
The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health
Augmented Instruments Limited
AF Global Brands Limited / Al Fakher
Peppermint Technology Limited
Total Motion Limited
- Acted for Lumbers Limited in a keyword advertising dispute concerning the use of its trade mark by a competitor in Google Adwords.
- Acted in a high-profile trade mark dispute relating to the successful revocation of trade marks of famous Leicestershire landmark ‘Old John’.
- Acted for Queen Mary University music tech spinout in relation to several IP licensing agreements.
Geldards LLP's varied practice covers advice on protection of intellectual property, complex licensing agreements and litigation. The firm has particular expertise in the sports industry; Jamie Goldberg is often sought out to advise high-profile athletes on image rights licences and related IP issues. Goldberg co-heads the practice with Michelle Craven-Faulkner, who has expertise in the protection and commercialisation of intellectual property.
Advanced Blast and Ballistics Systems
Arctic Cabins Limited
AXS Europe Limited
BioCity Group Limited
Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply
Commify UK Limited
Concrete Network Limited
Derby County Football Club
Derby Quad Limited
Elite KL Limited
Ellis-Chadwick, Dr Fiona
Formidable Media Limited
Gellaw Newco 2020 Limited
Genius Performance Limited
George Utz Limited
Halo X-Ray Technologies Limited
Independence Products Limited
iTrend Medical Research Limited
Kiwa Holdings (UK) Limited
MSTART (Medical And Sporting Technology Research Trust)
Paul Cummins Ceramics Limited
Pauley Interactive Limited
Physiolab Technologies Limited
Realsense Solutions Limited
Right Legal Group Limited
Sevco 5112 Limited
Spirit Medical Limited
Trent Motor Traction Company Limited
Vehicle Remarketing Association Limited
- Advising Paul Cummins Ceramics Limited on various projects both in the UK and further afield.
- Advised Stefanos Tsitsipas on a number of endorsement agreements with adidas, Wilson, Unilever and Uber Eats.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited's practice is jointly led by Harpreet Sandhu (who heads up the firm’s non-contentious IP offering) and Emma Ward (who leads the contentious IP practice). Ward, who is a 'truly exceptional solicitor', is an allied member of the Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA).
‘Nelsons’ IP group has all the advantages of a small team – accessibility, client care, etc – but packs a mighty punch that can floor the big boys.’
‘Emma Ward is a truly exceptional solicitor. Her legal knowledge is deep, her litigation skills are very strong, and her client care appears to be very good. She is a strategist, a tactician and one of the most organised and efficient people I have every worked with.’
‘Emma Ward is very approachable and friendly, in addition to being very competent.’
‘They have a broad base of experts – a good one-stop shop.’
Shakespeare Martineau LLP provides 'personalised and professional advice' across a broad range of intellectual property issues, and has a particularly strong IP litigation capability. On the non-contentious side, the firm acts for clients operating in a range of sectors, including manufacturing, telecoms, media and broadcasting. The team also undertakes a significant amount of IP work for universities. Ed Wright heads up the team's non-contentious IP practice. Martin Noble has specialist expertise in policing online infringements (including social media websites).
‘Personalised and professional advice. The team key strengths are understanding our business needs but also sharing their knowledge and insights of the industry as a whole, in our case MedTech and Healthcare technology sectors.’
‘Ed Wright provides professional advice but also offers genuine insights that support our business needs from the smallest technical questions to larger contractual and legal advice. He remains a long term supporter of our business and an appreciated advisor that remains close to our business.’
This Is Creative t/a Nuom digital
Concrete Preservation Technology
Common Wealth Games England
Cambridge Weight Plan
University of Nottingham
Midland Caliper Centre Limited
- Successfully defended an attempt by eBay and Gumtree to force eBUYGumm to give up their domain name through Nominet’s dispute resolution service.
- Successfully negotiated on behalf of Kagool Limited the settlement of an IPEC claim involving passing off and trade mark infringement following finalisation of witness evidence just prior to trial.
- Advised Future Health on the terms of its IP licensing in the context of both its standard services-related reseller agreement and several specific foreign agency arrangements.