Displaying ‘top drawer technical knowledge’, Browne Jacobson LLP acts for an impressive roster of retailers, consumer brands and life sciences companies in high profile patent, design and copyright matters and substantial licensing, co-branding and collaboration agreements. Lead partner Selina Hinchliffe specialises in transactional IP and is the primary contact in Nottingham. Integrated as a national practice, the Nottingham group works alongside its colleagues in Birmingham (headed by Mark Daniels ) and London (where national head of IP Declan Cushley is based) on patent, trade mark and copyright infringement disputes.
Intellectual property in East Midlands
Declan Cushley; Mark Daniels
Other key lawyers:
‘Top drawer technical knowledge, applied by friendly, likeable and energetic individual team members.’
‘Declan Cushley is an absolute pleasure to work with. Subject matter experts who are completely focused on client needs; responsive and flexible. Hard to beat.’
Clean Power Hydrogen
King’s College London
Aston Martin Lagonda
Dark Horses Technologies
Greenwood Academies Trust
Brunel University London
University of Hertfordshire
- Acting for Loughborough University on its development and future exploitation of key know-how and IP linked to elite level sports nutrition and fitness through a unique software platform.
- Advising Clean Power Hydrogen Group Limited (CPH2) on a number of deals to commercialise its core membrane-free electrolyser technology in the production of highly-pure hydrogen, including a 15-year partnership with Northern Ireland Water.
- Advised the shareholders of Dataglide in connection with the sale of the business to Kneip. Dataglide are a software heavy business specialising in process automation and data transformation.
Howes Percival LLP's ‘outstanding' team, which 'stands out from the competition’, is a popular choice among fashion brands, retailers, food and drinks companies and manufacturers for IP and trade mark portfolio work. Litigator and a food and drink specialist Matthew Talbot heads the team, which includes Hannah Steggles , an expert in IT and data protection matters. Fellow GDPR expert in Northampton, James Howarth has a background in publishing and focuses on defamation and privacy matters. In the same office, Jenna Bruce takes the lead on software mandates. Trade mark attorney Sarah Dacre is a recent addition to the team in Leicester.
Other key lawyers:
James Howarth; Jenna Bruce; Hannah Steggles; Sarah Dacre
‘The team is outstanding and stand out from the competition. They offer expert knowledge in these areas and really know their stuff. I have consistently found the team to offer an excellent arrive to clients.’
‘I have worked with a number of associates and partners and have found them all to be excellent. Hannah Steggles combines excellent legal knowledge with a pragmatic approach.’
‘The team are very knowledgeable and work well with the client to understand their objectives and can then provide a fixed priced quotation.’
‘Hannah Steggles is without doubt head and shoulders above any other Solicitor, anywhere! She is honest, gives a realistic view of success and a true reflection of what fees to expect to pay and she is never wrong. She gives advice that you understand, regardless of the complexity of the situation.’
‘Matthew Talbot and Jenna Bruce are always available when required. Speedy responses, knowledge, and updates of where we are in the process have been invaluable.’
‘Jenna Bruce has a wealth of IP experience and is always on hand to discuss IP issues. Jenna is able to give solid commercial and legal guidance in the required timescales.
Business Software Alliance, Inc.
Start-rite Shoes Limited
Prokon Software Limited
Just Hype Limited
Shoe Zone Retail Limited
Craft Buddy Limited
- Advising Business Software Alliance on infringement actions.
- Acting for Just Hype Ltd in various contentious and non-contentious matters including cross border infringement actions, licensing and international trade mark portfolio management.
- Advising Prokon Software, a South African engineering company on its IP strategy in the UK and Europe including obtaining trade mark protection and protection measures.
Potter Clarkson LLP
Potter Clarkson LLP founding partner Nick McDonald is a recognised name in IP litigation, representing household names in the pharmaceutical, electronics and food and drink sectors in multijurisdictional patent litigation. Equally knowledgeable in non-contentious IP, he advises on copyright, database rights, electronics patents and the interplay between IP and competition law. Fellow founder Richard Roberts is another top litigator in high-profile patent, trade mark and copyright cases. Oliver Laing heads the IP licensing practice. Senior associate Georgia Carr is active on mandates in the open-source software and in the data protection sphere.
Oliver Laing; Nick McDonald; Richard Roberts
Other key lawyers:
‘Very responsive and accurate timely advice. Knowledgeable and very supportive during difficult negotiations.’
‘Potter Clarkson seem to go out of their way to be particularly helpful to us as a client and genuinely care about both us as a client and obtaining the best outcome for us in all cases.’
Astellas Pharma Inc
Mexichem UK Limited (t/a Koura)
ChangeMaker 3D Limited
NetLync Mobile Communication Technologies Ltd
Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Sleepeezee Holdings Limited
- Advised Astellas Pharma Inc. in Court of Appeal success, which has paved the way forward for client’s First-in-Class drug.
- Providing strategic advice, negotiating terms and conducting IP due diligence exercise for investment giant BGF on an investment into high-growth medical device business.
- Devised robust trade mark enforcement strategy for leading high-end bedding brand, Sleepeezee, including IPEC proceedings, culminating in settlement.
Litigation powerhouse Shakespeare Martineau LLP is well-regarded for its representation of SMEs and start-ups in the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, its stellar Midlands reputation and specialism in telecoms, retail, life sciences and education. Ed Wright is the lead on non-contentious healthcare and life science mandates.
‘Wide-ranging expertise. Can give specialist IP advice, but also broader legal advice on connected matters and wider commercial considerations.’
‘The IP team are a real asset to Shakespeare Martineau. The support they provide to our early-stage start-ups has been invaluable. They are able to package and translate complex legal structures and processes into simpler concepts and filled a key capability gap. ‘
‘It’s also refreshing to see an IP team that champions diversity. The founder of the company’s diversity and inclusion network is from within the team, and it’s great to see how this experience translates into the legal advice and insights they provide for us.’
‘Ed Wright has been incredible supportive, and displayed professionalism and outstanding legal and business knowledge at all times.’
Cambridge Weight Plan
JDS Foods Limited
Moviebox Megastores (International) Limited
Oriental Star Agencies Limited
TSJP t/a Nativve
University of Nottingham
Spirit Health Group
Future Health Technologies
- Advised on co-branded rollout of the University of Nottingham’s Ingenuity Programme to use with other UK universities, to enable them to create a regional Ingenuity Programme under the Ingenuity name.
- Advising Moviebox on several successful injunction applications during covid-19 involving disputes over the removal of copyright takedown notices issued through YouTube.
- Advised leading university facing strike action in relation to lecturer material based on withdrawal of performers’ rights.
Following the acquisition of Adamson Jones, a boutique East Midlands patent and trade mark attorney firm, Gateley Legal’s expanded practice now houses one of the region’s largest group of patent attorneys, trade mark attorneys and IP solicitors. Dual qualified practice head John Buckby is particularly sought after for trade mark, copyright and mandates involving the media, entertainment and music sectors.
‘Small enough to give personal service, big enough to be totally credible’
‘I enjoyed working with John Buckby – he gave practical and knowledgeable advice and was always responsive and helpful.’
‘Thorough and professional. Good with clients. Litigation treated as a last, not first, resort.’
‘John Buckby – Engaging and diligent. Excellent at managing clients and focussing on the best outcome for them.’
‘The thoughtful and attentive service Gateley’s IP team have been providing us with for several years now has been first rate. Each individual has deep, relevant knowledge that informs useful and proportionate advice on certain challenges we have faced.
‘We have a close working relationship with partner John Buckby, whose intelligence and expertise charts a steady course through the most complex matters. His calm, professional, analytical approach and the honesty and integrity he demonstrates are all top qualities we value.’
Specialising in the sport, media and entertainment sectors, Geldards LLP is a reputable choice for sponsorship, endorsement, image rights and licencing mandates. Jamie Goldberg leads the Derby team, which also handles registration and application services for trade marks and acquisition or transfer of trade marks out of insolvency.
‘Highly competent, time efficient, very accommodating and friendly.’
‘Jamie Goldberg is extremely reachable, helpful and kind. Going beyond the expected to make sure I’m well taken care of and my exact needs are being met.’
Kaufmann Ruedi Rechtsanwalte AG
British Boxing Board of Control
- Advised Kaufmann Ruedi Rechtsanwalte AG to make 10 mirror trademark applications, claiming priority under Art 59 of the Withdrawal Agreement between the UK and EU.
- Advised British Boxing Board of Control Limited in relation to multiple trade mark infringement and passing off matters related to unauthorised advertising and marketing of replicas of BBBofC’s championship belts and related merchandise appearing online and in stores across the UK.
The practice at Nelsons Solicitors Limited - ‘a gem of a firm‘' - features Emma Toes, whose reputation continues to attract work in trade mark filing, prosecution and applications before the UKIPO. Harpreet Sandhu provides complementary non-contentious expertise on IP protection, product and software development and licensing.
Emma Toes; Harpreet Sandhu
‘Nelsons is a gem of a firm. Its staff are knowledgeable and good to work alongside. The firm invests in its people and its technology. It was a leader in mobile and remote working long before the pandemic.’
‘The IP team knows the field very well and is well-organised and pragmatic.’
‘Emma Toes is a real superstar. She has broad and deep knowledge of IP law. She is extraordinarily efficient and well-organised. She is a pleasure to work with.’