Browne Jacobson LLP is known for providing ‘quality legal advice‘ on a complete range of social housing matters ranging from traditional advice on new developments to advice regarding acquisition of sites and securitisation of social housing schemes, as well as the growing areas of advice to private equity houses looking to invest in social housing developments and advice on joint ventures between social housing associations and private and public sector entities. The practice further features a dedicated litigation team which advises on issues such as insurance claims, personal injury and antisocial behaviour, and which has a specialism in defending disrepair claims. Barry Sully, who is experienced with mixed-use schemes and regeneration projects, leads the team together with Gabor Taller, who has ‘huge amounts of knowledge and understanding in the sector‘, in particular in relation to securitisations.
Social housing in East Midlands
Barry Sully; Gabor Taller
‘The team continues to provide quality legal advice. One of the key strengths of the team is that their advice is always in the client’s best interest. Another aspect is that they are very professional and versatile, and their advice and support was extremely valuable.’
‘Gabor Taller has huge amounts of knowledge and understanding in the sector. Looking for solutions to any issues encountered and has the ability to process and describe the implications to allow informed decision making on our behalf.’
‘The team go above and beyond in delivering a quality service. They focus on the business’ best interests helping us to balance commerciality and security.’
EMH Housing and Regeneration Limited
Nottingham Community Housing Association
Metropolitan Thames Valley
Minster Property Group
Bourneville Village Trust
Trident Housing Association Limited
Jessup Brothers Limited
Keystone Developments (LG) Limited
Great Wyte Limited
Community Housing Group
Tuntum Housing Association
EMH Care and Support
Peak Rural Housing
North West Leicestershire District Council
Chalkdene Developments LLP
Freeths LLP acts for some of the most significant local authorities and national developers in the sector with support from the firm’s national framework. The team is best known for its track record in property development and construction, while also being experienced in planning, securitisations and procurement matters. Sarah Rowe leads the social housing team and the key relationship partner for all clients in the sector, where she acts on social housing site and property acquisitions. Rachel Clarke is experienced in residential development, while Holly Chadwick specialises in the acquisition of large development sites.
Other key lawyers:
Rachel Clarke; Holly Chadwick
Cambridge City Council
Warrington Borough Council
Nottingham Community Housing Association Limited
Partner Construction Limited
Midland Heart Limited and Midland Heart Development Limited
Jigsaw Homes Midlands
MyPad 2020 Limited
Sedgemoor District Council
London Borough of Ealing
Sefton Borough Council
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
Consilio Property Limited
Bellway Homes Limited
London Borough of Camden
Barratt David Wilson Homes Limited
North-East Lincolnshire Council
Milton Keynes Developments Limited
Davidsons Developments Limited
- Acting for Cambridge City Council in the setting up of the Cambridge Investment Partnership which is a JV between CCC and Hill Investments that is delivering, on a 50/50 Public Private Basis, a number of major Housing Developments across the city with a mixture of private and public funding.
- Acting for Partner Construction Limited on a tri-partite (landowner, contractor and buyer) sale and purchase agreement, conditional upon the grant of planning permission, in Carterton.
- Acting for Warrington Borough Council in its role as lender in relation to a loan to be made to Auxesia Homes Limited to fund the purchase of social housing in the north-west of England.
The social housing team at Wilson Browne acts for a range of private and professional landlords, including charities and housing associations. The firm handles all issues concerning housing providers, such as land acquisitions, planning documents and affordable housing sales, while also advising on employment contracts and tenancy issues. Practice head Tom Warrender advises on all aspects of non-contentious property deals for housing associations. He is supported by Emma Oliver, who is experienced in the acquisition and disposal of freehold and leasehold properties.
Other key lawyers:
Abbeyfield Dorcas Society Limited / Amani Care Limited
EMH Housing & Regeneration Limited
Park Lodge Project
- Acted for EMH Housing & Regeneration Limited on the acquisition of land for the development of 112 affordable housing units with a development value of circa £22m with an option for to buy a further 78 units.
- Acted for EMH Housing & Regeneration Limited on the affordable housing development and acquisition of 55 units with a development value of £7.1m.
- Acted for EMH Housing & Regeneration Limited in the grant of numerous shared ownership leases with an aggregate transaction value of over £3 million.