Browne Jacobson LLP has the bench strength to advise developers and housing associations on all aspects of large-scale affordable housing developments, including strategic partnerships, funding transactions, planning permissions and plot sales. Its team includes Gabor Taller, who has particular expertise in social housing development work and funding arrangements. Barry Sully specialises in regeneration projects, mixed-use schemes, joint ventures and social housing projects. In a recent highlight, Taller and Sully advised EMH Housing and Regeneration Limited on the acquisition of a site for the £12m development of 65 extra-care apartments and other facilities in Leicester. Associates Ben Standing and Holly Chadwick are also key members of the group.
Social housing in East Midlands
‘The team at Browne Jacobson provide clear, professional and knowledgeable advice, given in a language that is easy to interpret and understand; they have a very personable manner which leads to a strong solicitor/client relationship. They are proactive in their discussions with other solicitors and able to offer suggestions regarding how to proceed.’
Longhurst Housing Group
Nottingham Community Housing Association
EMH Housing and Regeneration
EMH Care and Support
Metropolitan Thames Valley
Minster Property Group
Peak Rural Housing
Nottingham City Homes
Croydon Borough Council
Tuntum Housing Association
- Advised Waterloo Housing Group on a collaboration with City of Lincoln council involving the acquisition of 4 development sites, which together will deliver 155 affordable units in the Lincoln area.
- Advised Local Space on the securitisation of a portfolio of social housing in East London valued at over £50m in favour of MORhomes plc.
- Advised Nottingham Community Housing Association, Longhurst Group and EMH Housing and Regeneration on their strategic partnership agreements, principally arrangements to partner with other housing associations and local authorities as ‘delivery partners’ to deliver over 10,000 new affordable homes.
Freeths LLP's 'practical, personable and incredibly capable practice' in Nottingham advises public and private sector clients on all aspects of affordable housing projects; its workload in this space includes planning, development and procurement. The firm has recently seen an increase in its work for clients engaged in joint ventures, including those between developers and registered providers, and developers and local authorities. Matthew Grocock is regularly instructed by clients to assist them with regeneration projects and affordable housing schemes. Sarah Rowe specialises in advising social housing clients on residential developments schemes and land purchases. Associates Claire Bennett and Stephen Christian are also key members of the team.
‘The team has the ability to understand complex issues in a partnership environment, and is proactive in providing solutions that allow us to achieve our goal.’
‘Sarah Rowe has worked diligently and carefully to ensure our interests are protected. She is always available and explains things clearly.’
Nottingham Community Housing Association Limited
Stockport Homes Limited
Citizen Housing Group
Jigsaw Homes Group
Longhurst Group Limited
Ilke Homes Limited
Partner Construction Limited
BDW Trading Limited
- Advice on real estate development, governance and state aid regarding a regeneration scheme for selective demolition (of 130 existing homes) and redevelopment of part of the Yorke Drive Estate, Newark, linked to development of new homes for rent and sale on the adjoining Lincoln Road Playing Fields.
- Assisting Torus 62 with 100 right to buy applications following the initial tenant notice (RTB1), and dealing with all matters through to completion on the terms set out in schedule 6 of the Housing Act 1985.
- Advising Nottingham Community Housing Assocation on an agreement for the delivery of 82 dwellings, 47 of which are to be acquired by NCHA to provide affordable homes, with the remainder being sold to a third party company for retention for market rent.
Wilkin Chapman LLP
Wilkin Chapman LLP frequently acts for clients buying and selling affordable housing and land for development sites. Rachael Dicken specialises in advising housebuilders, registered providers and developers on sales, acquisitions, site set-ups and funding arrangements. Peter Hanson advises a number of registered providers on affordable housing developments. Associate Laura Lougher advises registered providers and developers on various aspects of construction projects.
Linden Homes/Galliford Try Group (Housebuilder)
Cyden Homes Limited (Local award-winning housebuilder)
LACE Housing Association (Registered housing provider)
Lincolnshire Housing Partnership Limited
Acis Group Limited (Registered housing provider)
Salix Homes Limited
Longhurst & Havelok Homes Limited
- Advising Linden Limited on the sale of seventy affordable homes over a number of phases to Orbit Group simultaneously with the exchange of a development agreement for the construction of the dwellings.
- Advised Linden Limited on the sale of 56 affordable housing units in the final phase of their development at Pocklington for a total deal value of approximately £4.8m.
- Advised Longhurst & Havelok Homes Limited in relation to their acquisition of land in Boston, which will be used to develop over 100 affordable homes in partnership with builder Chestnut Homes.
Wilson Browne's 'helpful and knowledgeable' Kettering-based team acts for private and professional landlords, charities and housing associations on a high volume of affordable housing acquisitions and sales. In addition, it also has expertise in advising landlords and councils on tenancy issues, arrears, and anti-social behaviour orders. Tom Warrender advises clients on all aspects of property transactions in the affordable housing sector, including acquisitions, funding arrangements and sales.
‘I received excellent service from one of the firm’s solicitors in a particularly difficult eviction case.’
‘The team are always available to discuss matters and explain issues clearly.’
Abbeyfield Dorcas Society Limited / Amani Care Limited
EMH Housing & Regeneration Limited
Park Lodge Project
- Advised EMH Housing & Regeneration Limited on the acquisition at the site at Barrowby Road, Grantham with a development value of £10.6 million.
- Advised EMH Housing & Regeneration Limited on the affordable housing development and acquisition of 55 units at Market Road, Thrapston with a development value of £7.1 million.
- Advised EMH Housing & Regeneration Limited on the acquisition of 32 affordable housing units at Lutterworth Road, Gilmorton for £2.1 million.