Commercial property: elsewhere in the East Midlands in East Midlands
Gateley Plc's real estate team in Leicester handles a high volume of development projects, and also assists clients with asset management, real estate finance and distressed M&A in the property and retail sectors. Practice head Simon Taylor has a wealth of experience advising developers engaged in commercial, residential and regeneration projects. In addition, he is also known for advising occupiers, investors and financiers on real estate developments and transactions. Associates Melissa Chantrill and Alexander Parkes are also recommended.
‘Leaders in their field in the East Midlands, with some excellent talent to service their range of quality clients.’
‘The team is cohesive in its approach to matters, whereas some firms have individuals who may be good, but are not team players.’
‘Simon Taylor is totally client focused.’
‘Alexander Parkes is committed to getting the job done.’
Henry Boot Developments
- Advised Fairham Pastures Limited on the acquisition and subsequent part sub-sale to Homes England of the 605-acre urban extension to Clifton in Nottinghamshire.
- Advised Barberry Developments on the site acquisition, development, letting and subsequent disposal of a 65,000 square foot newly built industrial unit to M&G.
- Advised Richardson Barberry on a joint venture with Durham County Council relating to the promotion of a new £1.75m square foot business park in Newton Aycliffe.
With sector specialisms in retail, healthcare and education, Hewitsons' 'reliable and consistent' team focuses on commercial and residential developments, asset and portfolio management, and strategic land acquisitions. In addition, the firm is well-placed to advise clients on projects arising from the government's Oxford-Cambridge Arc initiative, which includes major investment in infrastructure in Milton Keynes and Northampton. David Wells, whose practice is split between Northampton and Milton Keynes, specialises in acquisitions of commercial units, and commercial landlord and tenant law. Marc Carter advises developers on all aspects of commercial projects. Patricia Kempson and Claire Howard-Amos are also recommended.
‘The firm has sound commercial knowledge and a willingness to get deals done in a timely and cost effective manner.’
United Learning Group
Merger Investments Limited
City of Cambridge Education Foundation
IMT Aviation Limited
Cheaney Shoes Limited
Medigold Health Consultancy Limited
Ardent Hire Solutions
A W James
Levitt Bernstein Associates Limited
Wimbledon Property Holdings Ltd /Marchmont Investment Management Limited
Bright Horizons Family Solutions Limited
XPO Transport Solutions UK Ltd
Community Spaces Northampton (charity)
Howes Percival LLP's 'strong team', which is spread between Northampton and Leicester, specialises in land acquisitions and disposals, lending and refinancing, residential and commercial development, and landlord and tenant work. Northampton-based partner Lucy Lord, who was described by one client as 'highly professional and commercially astute', focuses on land acquisitions and sales, where she acts for developers and lenders. 'Practical and pragmatic' partner Nicholas James, who is based in Leicester, has notable expertise in strategic land acquisitions, promotion agreements and investment transactions. Associates Jasmine Mason and Alexandra Kirkwood, who are based in Leicester and Northampton respectively, are also recommended.
‘They are always clear in their objectives and upfront about costs and timescales.’
‘The team give pragmatic advice to get deals done quickly.’
‘Able to react quickly and work to tight timescales even on complex transactions.’
HSBC Bank plc
Santander UK plc
Barclays Bank plc
C.Brewer & Sons Limited
Westmoreland Properties Limited
Davidsons Developments Limited
TM Sutton Limited and Instant Cash Loans Limited
Stoneygate Football Club Limited
Kaplan Property Ltd
Persimmon Homes Limited
Raynsway Estates Limited
Wilson Enterprises Limited
Westmoreland Investments Limited (Part of Charles Street Buildings (Leicester) Limited group)
Mulberry Property Developments Limited
Mulberry Industrial Properties Limited
Motorvogue (Northampton) Limited
TM Sutton Limited and Instant Cash Loans Limited
Shakespeare Martineau LLP's 'efficient' Leicester-based team has an expansive real estate practice, with it fielding specialists in residential promotion and development, commercial development, project finance and portfolio acquisitions. Louise Ingram focuses primarily on land promotion and strategic land schemes for residential or mixed-use projects. Martin Jones has a strong track record in commercial developments and infrastructure projects, which includes advising clients on construction and engineering contracts, as well as project finance transactions. Kate Hall has a wealth of experience advising high-net-worth individuals on acquiring, funding and managing investment properties. In addition, she also has expertise in insolvency issues in the property sector. Associate Holly Lockley is also recommended.
‘Generally speaking, the team is efficient and effective, and deals with our work in a capable manner.’
Parker Strategic Land Limited
Wilson Enterprises Limited
Mattioli Woods PLC
Trustees of the Drummond Estate
Everards Brewery Limited
Bromford Housing Limited
- Assisted Parker Strategic Land with securing promotions agreements with Leicester City Council and a local golf club to promote land for a residential development comprising 1,200 houses.
- Advised Manor Oak Homes Limited on securing promotion agreements on ten sites across the South Midlands to deliver 2,500+ new homes.
- Advising Drummond Estate on the continued expansion of New Lubbesthorpe as a sustainable urban extension.
Wilkin Chapman LLP
Wilkin Chapman LLP's 'keen, knowledgeable and diligent' team provides clients with a full-service offering in residential and commercial projects, in addition to boasting unique expertise in projects involving the establishment of academies in the East Midlands. In Grimsby, Rachael Dicken specialises in advising house builders and developers on large-scale residential projects. Ruth Brewin acts for clients in residential and commercial projects, including developers, land owners and portfolio holders. Recently, the group advised Lincoln Corn Exchange Markets on several high value lease agreements relating to the refurbishment of city centre retail premises under the Cornhill Quarter redevelopment scheme. Peter Hanson leads the team in Lincoln.
‘The team I work with is an exceptionally strong, well run, efficient and extremely knowledgeable.’
‘The team really get to know my business and what is important to us. When we agree on a course of action, they identify the stages clearly and simply and keep us informed at every step.’
‘Rachael Dicken is hands on, pragmatic and always available. The difference with Rachael is that she is involved and carries out the transactional work on site acquisition and deals with site set up and disposals to RPs. Rachael is truly unique in this regard.’
Linden Homes/Galliford Try Group (Housebuilder)
Cyden Homes Limited (Local award-winning housebuilder)
Lincoln Corn Exchange Markets (1991) Limited / Lincolnshire Co-operative Limited
Aga Rangemaster Group Plc (Aga Stoves etc)
Jackson & Jackson Developments Ltd (Developer)
Vernon Holdings Limited (Investor)
The Brocklesby Estate/Earl of Yarborough (Major landowner)
Acis Group Limited (Registered housing provider)
Bishop Grosseteste University
Castle Square Developments
- Assisting Linden Limited with a wide range of services, including dealing with 970 plot sales over nine different divisions.
- Advised Lindum Group and Lindum Western Growth Community in relation to a delivery agreement between them and the City of Lincoln Council, enabling the Lincoln extension project known as the Western Growth Corridor to commence.
- Advised RJW Property Management Limited on entering into a contract conditional on planning for the purchase of approximately 40 acres of land for residential development.
BHW Solicitors' Leicester team is particularly active in mandates connected with the leisure, retail and logistics industries. It primarily advises clients on land acquisitions, property investments, private pension schemes and secured lending transactions. The 'excellent' Beverley Merrell frequently advises developers on freehold and leasehold projects. Ian Sanders primarily advises clients engaged in construction projects on all aspects of planning and development. Eleanor Rattay's broad expertise spans secured lending, refinancing and development work.
‘BHW Solicitors have provided great support to us in often challenging and time-sensitive matters.’
‘Eleanor Rattay is very approachable and accessible and understands our business needs.’
BPX Group Limited
Cambridge and Counties Limited
DHL Parcel UK Limited
Fischer Future Heat UK Limited
Folk 2 Folk
Gardner Aerospace Limited
HSBC Bank plc
Jordan Developments Limited
Lavendon Group plc
Limetree Living Limited
Mark’s Electrical Limited
Mattioli Woods plc
Morningside Holdings Limited
Next Holdings Limited
Oadby Plastics Limited
Ratcliffe Farms Limited
Svenska Handelsbanken plc
T – Systems Limited
Verdon Timber Group Limited
- Advised buyer BPX Group on land purchase and subsequent funding and development agreement.
- Advised landowner Ratcliffe Farms on an option agreement with a well-known residential developer.
- Advised landowner Bamfords Trust on the sale and letting of two newly constructed units.
Flint Bishop LLP
Flint Bishop LLP's practice in Derby predominantly advises developers on sales, acquisitions and lease agreements. It has a particular focus on the retail, leisure, industrial and residential property sectors. Ian Beardmore specialises in site acquisitions and disposals, site assembly, joint ventures and funding arrangements. Paul Sabin has notable expertise in commercial and agricultural property transactions. Associate Freya Bradley is also a key member of the team.
Bowmer & Kirkland Group of Companies
Clowes Developments Group of Companies
Ivygrove Developments Limited
MHA (Methodist Homes)
Donald Ward Limited
Urbo (West Bar) limited
- Advised Bowmer & Kirkland on the property aspects of an acquisition of a 20% shareholding in a company called “This is Gravity Limited” for a consideration of £8m.
- Advised Kensington Power in connection with the creation of an EV Charging Point Model Lease which the company is using to roll out its provision of EV Charging Points across the Country.
- Advised Ivygrove Developments Limited in relation to the sale of land and a Development Agreement for the construction of new Police Headquarters on Ivygrove’s Dunstall Park Development.
Freeths LLP's 'professional and responsive' Leicester practice predominantly advises clients on the acquisition and sale of land and property holdings. Simon Abbott specialises in investment portfolio management and projects in the retail industry. Sam Pancholi is active in property finance, investment, development, landlord and tenant work, where he advises developers, banks and private companies. Harjit Saund has notable expertise in landlord and tenant matters, investments and property finance.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have know the Freeths team for a number of years. They have a very professional and yet very informal approach. They always answer calls in a timely manner, and they don’t put excessive charges on. Always knowing me and our business needs is absolutely critical.’
‘The team always understands the issues we face and deals with them in a timely fashion.’
Cambridge & Counties Bank
Abbey Commercial Investment Group
Lloyds Bank Plc
Motor Parts Direct Limited
- Advised AMK Peterborough Fruit Services on the acquisition of property for development in Peterborough.
- Advised Tarmac Trading on the acquisition of land and option to take a lease of the minerals.
- Advised Kiddycare on the conditional acquisition of a listed building.
Knights plc continues to increase its footprint in the East Midlands; in a recent development, it acquired Nottingham firm Fraser Brown. Led by Tom Bower, the firm's real estate team in Leicester works closely with other offices in the network on commercial and residential developments across the UK. In addition, the group has a strong track record in office and retail portfolio acquisitions and disposals.
Langleys Solicitors LLP
Langleys Solicitors LLP's team in Lincoln focuses primarily on advising developers, banks and investors on the sale and purchase of property, project financing and the various stages of construction projects. Over the course of more than 25 years, 'personable and helpful' practice head Peter Horner has accumulated a wealth of experience in freehold acquisitions, disposals and the contractual arrangements underpinning developments. Associate James Spittlehouse is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘The whole team offers excellent customer service, and is always responsive and timely with its advice.’
‘Peter Horner demonstrates an excellent level of professionalism and is personable, helpful, flexible and always responsive.’
University of Lincoln
Melbourne Holdings Ltd
Specialist Heat Exchangers Ltd
Jackson & Jackson Developments Ltd
Frank Hardy & Sons (Farndon) Ltd
Grangelinks Property Ltd
Camberley Service Centre Limited
P S and B Rhodes
- Advised Melbourne Holdings on its acquisition of an industrial estate comprising various buildings and premises, including reviewing existing leases, variations and granting a new lease.
- Advised Jackson & Jackson Developments Ltd on an option to acquire an existing car park, acquiring the company owning the land and then to grant a new lease.
- Advising Frank Hardy & Sons on transferring land the company owns either side of the new A46 dual carriageway to their Pension Scheme and entering into a conditional contract with a prospective developer.
With particular expertise in the retail and education sectors, Nelsons Solicitors Limited's Leicester team is instructed by developers, investors and banks in various matters, including lease agreements, investment purchases, secured lending transactions and property sales. James Coningsby has a wealth of experience advising clients engaged in residential, retail and mixed use projects. Associate Peter Rees has notable expertise in lending and project financing.
Other key lawyers:
‘The people I have dealt with have all been courteous and knowledgeable in their fields of expertise.’
Cambridge and Counties Bank Ltd
Abode Hallam Ltd
Aimrok Retail Ltd
Soft Touch Arts
Aimrok Development Ltd
GS Developments (Leicester) Ltd
Ruddle Merz Limited
Petit Forestier UK Ltd
National Space Science Centre
IMAP Student Limited
Trafalgar Global Limited
Royal Bank of Scotland
4syte Structured Finance Ltd
Prime Life Limited
Svenska Handelsbanken AB
- Advised GS Property Holdings on the regeneration of a site at Abbey Meadows comprising 82 properties.
- Advised Yu Energy on planning and construction law in relation to its acquisition of a large site for development purposes.
- Advised Adobe Nottingham on the development of Short Hill in Nottingham which will see 117 dwellings built as part of a build to rent scheme.
Based in Spalding, Roythornes Solicitors' real estate team is best known for advising landowners and, to a lesser extent, developers engaged in residential, commercial and mixed-use projects in the region. In addition, the firm has notable expertise in landlord and tenant work. Jo Ladds has particular experience of acquisitions and disposals, option agreements and leaseholds. Iain Hibbert specialises in advising clients on all aspects of renewable energy projects.
‘Excellent knowledge of the local markets in the East Midlands. Able to bridge the gap between landowner and developer very well.’
- Advised a confidential company on its relocation from three separate buildings to a single premises, which require significant negotiations with the landlord of the buildings.
- Advised a landowner in relation to a multi-phase development of a new town in the East Midlands.
- Advised a landowner on granting a lease of substrata to allow extraction of pot ash in North Yorkshire.
Wilson Browne Solicitors
Following Wilson Browne Solicitors' acquisition of niche commercial practice Friday Legal in 2019, the 'very capable' Northampton team has the bandwidth to advise clients on land acquisitions, option agreements, leases and various other commercial transactions. Ika Částka stands out for her strong track record of assisting clients with critical commercial agreements and transactions. The 'concise and professional' Tom Warrender acts for a wide range of clients in property sales and acquisitions.
Other key lawyers:
‘The continuity of personnel is a key feature and you are not made to feel like just another client. They are able to understand what is important to us as a client and deliver services that are tailored to our needs.’
‘The practice is highly responsive and provides excellent impartial advice based on relevant experience.’
‘Tom Warrender puts a high value of engagement into every transaction. He takes the time to understand the transaction at the beginning so he offers appropriate advice upfront.’
United Pallet Network
Compass Community Limited
East Northamptonshire Council
Mason David Properties
- Advised Bowbridge Homes Limited on acquisition and funding of development site.
- Advised Compass Children’s Homes Limited on acquisition of numerous leasehold sites for new children’s homes.
- Advised UPN on acquisition of a new site as a logistics hub for its national pallet network.