Flint Bishop LLP's debt recovery team is best known for its volume work pursuing debts on behalf of large companies in the business-to-business (B2B) lending space. The firm is also particularly strong in managing debt collections for multi-branch building supplies and hire firms. Qamer Ghafoor has a wealth of expertise in credit control and debt recovery. In one of his ongoing mandates, Ghafoor is acting for LexisNexis in hundreds of uncontested and contested debt recovery cases involving both historic and recent loans in default. Debt recovery manager Natalie Badger stands out for her strong advocacy skills and her key role developing and maintaining client relationships.
Debt recovery in East Midlands
Flint Bishop LLP
Other key lawyers:
Food Standards Agency
Belron UK Ltd T/A Autoglass
Sixt Rent a Car Ltd
Contract Natural Gas (CNG)
- Handled over £5m of live and ceased collections within the first six months of instruction for a leading supplier of gas and electricity to UK businesses.
- Advising a major delivery company on debt recovery, managing to achieve a 73% collection rate for the client thus far.
- Acted as sole debt recovery provider for both the UK and off-shore finance centres of a major international supplier of building materials.
Shoosmiths LLP' Northampton debt recovery team predominantly advises and represents creditors, including large banks and building societies, in relation to consumer mortgages and unsecured loans, commercial and corporate secured loans and asset based lending. Mel Chell focuses on asset and motor finance litigation, with specialisms in fraud and injunctive relief proceedings. The 'calm and reliable' Jim Taylor leads the firm's consumer finance litigation and recoveries team, working closely with clients to put in place debt recovery strategies that are commercially successful. Paula Swain is also recommended.
‘The team deal with standard recoveries litigation on a commoditised basis. However, the team are also able to provide technical consumer credit advice to clients.’
‘Committed to providing good value for money. Results driven with an eye on commercial sensitivities.’
‘They are meticulous in their process recording and are one of the most compliant law firms I have ever had the pleasure of working with.’
Cabot Credit Management
JBR Capital Limited
Oodle Car Finance Limited
Leaseplan UK Limited
Arkle Finance Limited
Honda Finance Europe Limited
Secure Trust Bank T/S Moneyway
1st Stop Motor Finance Limited
- Worked closely with a lender to review and segment a portfolio of small business unsecured lending debt in order to identify and build an appropriate business case for ongoing litigation and enforcement action.
- Provides an outsourced portfolio management service to Oodle Car Finance in relation to late stage collections, recoveries, litigation and enforcement.
- Acted for Oodle Car Finance in a case where it financed a vehicle on Hire Purchase terms. A third party was in possession of the vehicle and refused to relinquish control until an alleged repairer’s liens had been discharged.
Wilkin Chapman LLP
Wilkin Chapman LLP's practice has a very broad scope, encompassing the full range of debt recovery services for local authorities, major national energy and water companies, credit unions, and PPI companies. Chris Grocock acts for creditors in various industries and leads the firm's debt collection services for local authorities. Matthew Dix specialises in insolvency cases and has further expertise in winding up proceedings. Elizabeth Gilliatt often acts for creditors in contested debt recovery cases. Alexandra Ottley has a niche in social care debt recovery and claims involving deceased debtor's estates.
Western Union Retail Services GB Limited
Canal & River Trust
Transave Credit Union Limited
University of East London
Gladstone Brookes Limited
London Borough of Bexley
London Borough of Haringey
London Borough of Newham
RAC Group Limited
Portsmouth Water Limited
- Assisted Western Union with UK debt recovery work pursuant to instructions from their European Shared Service Centre in Lithuania.
- Advising Canal & River Trust on debt collections regarding unpaid mooring and licence fees across the UK.
- Acting for Transave Credit Union to recover unsecured loans from Members across all of UK.
With particular investment in the agricultural, food, wholesale and construction industries, Roythornes Solicitors 'excellent' team handles contentious and non-contentious debt collection for domestic corporates. Victoria Stevenson focuses primarily on the agricultural sector and specialises in cases involving high profile debtors. Associate Catherine Rickett, who heads up the debt recovery team, focuses on the recovery of unpaid debts and the enforcement of judgments against debtors.
‘Patient, polite and personable, you feel it’s good to have the team at Roythornes on your side.’
‘We have found with other legal firms that we are just another client, whereas at Roythornes they make you feel that you are their only client. The time-frame that they take to investigate is always reasonable, we are never left not knowing what is happening, we receive regular updates and they are always available if we need an individual update relating to a specific client.’
‘An excellent firm that provides an expert and professional service.‘
‘The service is much more personal than our previous debt collection solicitors and they seek to understand how our business operates in order to be effective in the service they provide.‘
‘Catherine, Martin and Michaela are always very helpful and keep us well informed with progress on outstanding cases.‘
‘It is local to the area and as such has a ‘local’ feel about it, as opposed to what could be a slightly aloof, more formal approach elsewhere.‘
‘Roythornes were excellent in explaining the potential options we had in chasing old debts. They clearly explained the options and the fees associated with each option. They were always quick to reply to emails we sent out and managed to sort out a number of large outstanding debts.’
Brown & Co
Integrated Communications Systems
E4Law T/A Lextox
Reydon Sports PLC
Mattioli Woods PLC
Masstock Arable T/A Agrii
- Acted for Enterprise Loans in debt recovery proceedings.
- Acted for creditor Kesteven Components in proceedings in the County Court, securing a successful verdict for the client.
- Acted for creditor Ruskim Seafoods in court proceeding, securing a successful verdict for the client.
With a particular focus on education and consumer goods, Smith Partnership's debt collection team has expertise in insolvency, bankruptcy and winding up proceedings. Claire Twells handles the full range of debt collection matters for clients, which includes securing out of court debt settlements, advising clients on credit control strategies and representing clients in small claims and fast track trials, as well as County Court hearings.
Central Joinery Limited
Abbey Glass Limited
Busy Bees Nursery Limited
D C Legal Limited
Kiddiewinks Day Nursery
Derby County Football Club
Burton Albion Football Club
University of Leeds
Avanti Gas PLC
- Assisted Derby County Football Club with debt collection from season ticket holders who failed to make payments via a direct debit scheme over the course of three seasons.
- Instructed by the University of Leeds to collect tuition fees from an overseas student.
- Assisted Busy Bees Nurseries with its collection of unpaid nursery fees, ranging from hundreds to thousands of pounds each.
Else Solicitors LLP
Else Solicitors LLP predominantly advises creditors on B2B debt collection. Chris Else has expertise in insolvency proceedings, commercial dispute resolution and banking disputes. Associate Laura Charles advises a broad range of clients - including banks, private companies and accountants - on debt collection proceedings in the UK and overseas.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are professional and experienced. They achieve good results for clients. Chris Else is a very experienced solicitor and under his leadership there is a strong capable team in place‘
Pinsent Masons LLP
- Advising Wardell Armstrong on its recovery of debts from commercial debtors.
- Advising Alexander Accountancy on its recovery of debts from accountancy clients.
- Advising Forte Lubricants on the recovery of debts from sole traders and limited companies.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited predominantly advises clients on non-contentious B2B debt collection in various industries, including insurance, asset finance and retail. Simon Key's expertise includes winding up petitions and bankruptcy proceedings.
‘I have dealt with Nelsons for many years now, the response time and the result has always been second to none. Kelly Beavon is my main point of contact at Nelsons, she is brilliant‘
‘My contact with Mac Clarkson has always been efficient, he is most helpful and to date he has concluded all ended accounts successfully. Always polite, helpful and professional. It’s a pleasure to deal with him‘
‘Mac Clarkson is a pleasure to deal with, he is efficient and reliable, and he gets results‘