Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández‘s tax team advises an array of prominent multinational companies and leading banks, including Johnson & Johnson and Citibank, with a strong suit in assisting such clients with the tax issues surrounding the establishment and structuring of their local operations. The team also routinely advises on the tax side of corporate transactions (including cross-border matters), in line with the firm's significant transactional expertise. Jaime Senior, whose practice covers the tax elements of corporate, financing and energy matters, helms the team alongside Marisol Vicens, who has a great deal of experience acting for domestic and foreign companies on the implementation of sophisticated investment projects. At senior associate level, Naomi Rodríguez is a key figure in the group, utilising corporate nous to assist clients with tax transactions.
Tax in Dominican Republic
Marisol Vicens; Jaime Senior
Banco BHD León
The Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank)
Wells Fargo Bank
Bank of America
Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI)/Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica (BCIE)
Banco Santa Cruz
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS)
- Representing the “Digital Economy Group”, a group of technology and digital companies, in tax matters and initiatives relating to the digital economy.
- Advising Citibank on a number of tax-related issues, both for internal purposes as well as in relation to external products offered to clients.
- Assisting BBB Foods with a restructuring and expansion that has a very substantial tax component.
Fabiola Medina Garnes and Jesús Francos head up the team at Medina Garnes Abogados, which stands out for its prowess in tax litigation, particularly administrative disputes. The team also advises on non-contentious matters such as the tax issues surrounding setting up new businesses and investments, designing tax structures as part of its estate planning work, and regulatory matters. Its client base includes both local and international clients; among the many sector strengths for the group are banking, energy, mining, infrastructure and telecoms. Medina Garnes and Francos both have strong reputations for tax litigation, while Patricia Álvarez – who was promoted to partner in June 2023 – is skilled in transactional tax matters.
Fabiola Medina Garnes; Jesús Francos
Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana (CND)
Phillip Morris Dominicana
Corporación Minera Dominicana (Cormidom)
Autopista del Nordeste (ADN)/Boulevard Turístico del Atlántico (BTA)
Hacienda Agroindustrial Luisita
Compañía Dominicana de Teléfonos
- Represented Cervecería Nacional Dominicana (CND) in a dispute regarding the resolutions of the tax administration that established the payment of an alleged excise tax on the price of beer bottles for a global amount of approximately $30m.
- Assisting Corporación Minera Dominicana (CORMIDOM) in an action for the execution of an agreement and determination of tax obligations against the City Council of Maimón.
- Represented CND in two appeals before the Administrative Court against a resolution by the tax administration.
Caroline Bonó leads the team at Pellerano Nadal, which offers advice on the full spectrum of tax issues, both within the Dominican Republic and internationally. The group is a go-to for multinationals looking to set up businesses in the country, as well as advising on the tax side of M&A and foreign investments. Aviation, retail, consumer goods, and free zones are among the areas in which the team has expertise. Bonó is a sought-after practitioner when it comes to the development of tax strategies and defending regulated legal entities before the tax authorities in the Dominican Republic, supported by senior associate Eduardo Pellerano, whose practice is focused on tax issues in general business law. Managing partner Luis Rafael Pellerano and Gustavo Mena are also names to note at senior level.
- Assisting Thryv with conducting tax due diligence in relation to its restructuring and merger.
- Assisting Ayesa Ingeniería y Arquitectura with all local tax regulatory compliance matters.
- Assisted Ruffo with all local tax matters relating to its operations in the Dominican Republic.
Alburquerque Abogados – Consultores' tax team is praised for its ‘focus on obtaining the best result for the client and efficiently establishing priorities', offering a broad practice which covers tax consulting, tax planning, litigation and the application of tax incentives (such as under the free zone regime). While the group predominantly acts for international companies, its client base also includes domestic companies and high-profile individuals. Managing partner José Manuel Alburquerque Prieto and Gina Alexandra Hernández Vólquez lead the team, which was bolstered by the addition of senior associate Maycar Johanna Mejía Barros from a role in the court system in April 2022.
José Manuel Alburquerque; Gina Alexandra Hernández Vólquez
‘The team is always willing to meet our needs as a client and cares about getting to know our business and concerns well.‘
‘José Manuel Alburquerque and Gina Hernández have always been willing to resolve our concerns in tax matters. The cases handled have been resolved to our satisfaction as they are highly qualified professionals.‘
‘The Alburquerque team has known our company for many years and also has extensive experience in the sector. Both factors combined are the perfect mix to meet the requirements of our business. They always focus on obtaining the best result for the client and efficiently establishing priorities.‘
‘Gina Hernández’ client service, availability, knowledge of our business and professionalism are key in the resolution of each case.‘
‘They make us feel very confident and their answers are solid and fully argued. We feel very well represented and confident with their team as they treat our problems as their own.‘
‘They are sincere, friendly and very serious.‘
Caliente Club & Resorts
Condominio Bonita Village
Brinks Cash Solutions
Catalonia Hotels & Resorts
- Assisted Caliente Clubs & Resorts with a revaluation of the declared value of the client’s properties and in administrative and jurisdictional appeals against the revaluation made by the tax authorities.
- Assisted Catalonia Hotels & Resorts with requesting and obtaining definitive classification of the tourist project “Catalonia Cabeza de Toro”, in order to benefit from tax incentives for the promotion of tourism.
- Assisted Top Logistics with a case brought by the General Directorate of Internal Taxes (DGII) against the client, due to the results of an audit process.
Guzmán Ariza‘s group, which ‘adapts very well to clients' requirements', advises a diverse client base which includes multinationals and foreign financial services companies on all areas of tax planning, transfer pricing (which is a core area of strength) and regulatory compliance in the Dominican Republic. The team also represents clients in audits by the tax authorities and in tax disputes. Managing partner Fabio Guzmán Saladín and Alfredo Guzmán Saladín lead the team; the pair are proficient in the tax aspects of corporate and financial transactions, and the latter is also noted for his knowledge of tax issues in the real estate and hospitality sectors. The group also benefits from the assistance of tax advisor and certified public accountant Mariano Corral, who is based overseas.
Fabio Guzmán Saladín; Alfredo Guzmán Saladín
‘Guzmán Ariza is able to offer tax solutions adapted to the problems and specific circumstances of our company in each particular case. They adapt very well to clients’ requirements.‘
Eden Roc at Cap Cana Hotel (Solaya Resorts and Hotel)
Francisco Martinez Group
SH Cacao CO Partners (19 Degrees Services)
Silva International Investments
JTI Tobacco International
- Assisting 12Tree Finance with its operations in the Dominican Republic, including designing and implementing the most efficient tax structure for the business.
- Assisted Club Med with obtaining tax exemptions from the Dominican government in relation to the development of a hotel in Miches.
- Assisted Elof Hansson with the tax strategy relating to payment in kind and leasing agreements.
OMG's multidisciplinary team advises on the tax implications of corporate transactions, as well as handling standalone tax planning projects, with the analysis of both direct and indirect taxation a key part of the group’s work. Practice head Ana Taveras has a strong track record of advising on tax planning for clients in various industries, including energy, infrastructure, financial services, real estate and tourism, as well as assisting with cross-border transactions. Esperanza Cabral, who has extensive experience in the tax elements of M&A matters, is also a senior name to note. As head of the legal planning practice group, associate Farah Raful is well placed to assist with tax and estate planning.
‘The team has good communication and is committed to the client, at higher levels even than other international firms.‘
‘Ana Taveras has attended to all our requirements with the necessary diligence and has been interested in understanding the form of the transactions, which adds value to her work.‘
‘Ana Tavares responds with a lot of knowledge and depth.‘
Compañía Anónima de Explotaciones Industriales
Putney Capital Management
Primma Valores, Puesto De Bolsa
Meliá Hotels International
Terra RD Partners
- Assisted Avantegenera with the presentation of a formal consultation before the Dominican Tax Authority (DGII) to request the applicability of the provisions of the double tax treaty signed between the Dominican Republic and Spain.
- Assisted Compañía Anónima de Explotaciones Industriales with managing a process before the DGII, seeking the negotiation of an opinion related to the tax impact of a real estate transaction executed with a Dominican government entity.
Pellerano & Herrera
López-Grullón Abogados & Consultores‘ tax group is frequently called upon to advise on compliance, the tax structuring of transactions and tax exemptions available in the tourism sector, in addition to representing clients in disputes with the Dominican customs authority. Its diverse client base includes multinational companies from the construction, pharmaceuticals and tobacco industries. The duo leading the team are Maria Cristina Grullón, who has extensive experience in the financial services sphere, and recently promoted partner Gabriel Podestá.
Maria Cristina Grullón; Gabriel Podestá
‘Excellent. 5 out of 5 stars.‘
Abbott Laboratories International
Constructora Armando Toros
Amergent Partners – Sociedad Administradora de Fondos de Inversión
British American Tobacco
Cevaldom Depósito Centralizado de Valores
- Assisted Abbott Laboratories International with judicial challenges against the tariff reclassification of its signature product and the fine imposed by the Dominican Customs Authority (DGA).
- Represented Bennu in obtaining the suspension of the collection of a fine from the DGA.
- Assisting Constructora Armando Toros with the initial design of the fiscal structures of three condo hotel projects in order to take advantage of the tax incentives for construction and the hospitality industry.
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti
Georges Santoni Recio, Luis Heredia Valenzuela, Jose Maldonado Stark and Román Medina Diplán lead the team at Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti, where the key areas of expertise include compliance with Dominican tax law, personal and corporate income tax, asset taxes, transfers and tax structuring. Praised for its 'practical knowledge of both the legal and fiscal aspects of matters', the team advises both multinationals and local companies. Senior associate Laura Fernández-Peix provides capable support.
Georges Santoni Recio; Luis Heredia Valenzuela; Jose Maldonado Stark; Román Medina Diplán
‘The most important thing is the team’s practical knowledge of both the legal and fiscal aspects of matters. These skills allow us to deal with all pending issues in one place and give us confidence that the deliverable is of the required quality.‘
‘It is necessary to have a team that has knowledge of different areas and we have achieved this at RVHB.‘
- Acted as local counsel to AirBnb (alongside Baker & McKenzie Barcelona) and Booking.com (alongside Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam) on the review of proposed regulations on VAT for digital services in the Dominican Republic.
Ulises Cabrera particularly stands out for its representation of clients in administrative and judicial appeals relating to tax claims and its advice on tax incentives for foreign investment, as well as advising international companies on the tax issues relating to their establishment in the Dominican Republic. Skilled in the tax aspects of corporate transactions, Mónica Villafaña and José Cruz Campillo head up the team. They are well supported by Heiddy Moronta, who was promoted to partner in April 2022 and is experienced in tax issues related to the sale and acquisition of regulated companies.
Monica Villafaña; José Cruz Campillo
‘They are very professional, and they provided advice that was very accurate and on time.‘
‘On time, detailed and clear explanations.‘
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Prestamos (APAP)
CCS USA Companies
EnviroGold (Las Lagunas)
Holsum de República Dominicana
La Nueva Expresso Italia
- Advised EnviroGold (Las Lagunas) on general tax exemptions granted by the Dominican State.
- Advised Gildan Activewear on tax matters such as cross-border and local transfer pricing regulations, as well as local regulations on the granting of benefits in international treaties to prevent double taxation.
- Provided Ebanx with a tax analysis of its proposed operations in the Dominican Republic.