The ‘excellent‘ team at Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández is highly active in litigation before courts of all levels, including the Supreme Court of Justice, and is also noted for its ‘extensive experience‘ in arbitration. Key areas of strength include civil, commercial, administrative, labour and constitutional litigation, as well as disputes in the banking, sports, telecoms and real estate sectors. Founding partner Francisco Alvarez, who has particular expertise in banking, corporate and telecoms-related litigation, leads the team with Tomás Hernández, a specialist in labour disputes. Julio Camejo, who focuses on criminal cases, and newly promoted partner Juan José Espaillat, who handles civil, commercial, administrative and labour litigation, are also names to note.
Dispute resolution in Dominican Republic
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández
Francisco Alvarez; Tomás Hernández
‘Extensive experience in arbitration and diverse expertise in handling substantive issues brought before the arbitration court.’
‘The team are professional and constantly keep clients up to date. They stand out for their mastery of cases and of the client’s industry beyond the legal issues.’
‘It is an excellent team that maintains quality and extraordinary service even under high-pressure circumstances.’
‘They have tremendous expert lawyers in different subject matters and one can always trust them. They adjust the strategy of the case, taking into account the needs and interests of the client.’
‘The Headrick team is of the first order, with good training, great experience and an identification with the clients that makes them special.’
‘They are always available and fulfill their commitments. Tomás Hernández’s experience and strategic vision is of great support and value for clients.’
Central Bank of the Dominican Republic
De La Rue
New York Yankees Partnership (Latin America Academy New York Yankees)
Banco BHD – Leon
Zoetis, Zoetis Costa Rica
Grupo Sid – Mercasid, Induveca and Agua Crystal
Los Angeles Dodgers
- Represented Banco Múltiple BHD León in several claims related to the failed acquisition and financing of the Silver Sun Gallery Hotel and Mall in Santo Domingo.
- Successfully defended at the appellate level international oil manufacturer Nynas in a product liability case brought against it by AES, the largest electric company in the Dominican Republic, and a local insurance company related to a transformer explosion.
- Serving as Dominican counsel to De La Rue, a global manufacturer of security documents, in actions against its former distributor in the Dominican Republic.
Medina Garrigó Abogados
Medina Garrigó Abogados‘ ‘exceptional‘ dispute resolution practice is highly regarded for its expertise in administrative, tax, civil, commercial, competition, procurement, labour and constitutional litigation. In addition, the team handles arbitration and high-profile white-collar crime cases. At the head of the practice, founding partner Fabiola Medina is highlighted for her ‘intelligence and skill‘, particularly in tax, administrative and civil litigation, and Jesús Francos stands out for his strength in administrative disputes. New partner Melissa Silié Ruiz, whose expertise spans administrative, regulatory, antitrust and commercial cases, and senior associate Jansy Castro, who focuses on criminal litigation, are also noted.
Fabiola Medina Garnes; Jesús Francos
‘They are capable and respond quickly to the needs of our company. In our experience, the team at Medina Garrigo belongs to a small group of important firms in our country that provide personalised services to their clients, always giving priority to the smallest detail. From the point of view of technology, we understand that the firm is at the forefront of billing, diversity, relationships and collaboration and meets a high standard in all these aspects.’
‘It has been a pleasant experience for us to have allies such as Medina Garrigo. All relevant legal decisions for our business pass through their hands, making us feel completely supported and safe in any situation. They differ from the competition in their personalised treatment of clients and their ability to quickly analyse legal situations that sometimes arise unexpectedly, both in business and in dispute resolution.’
‘In particular, we would like to highlight the professionalism of Jesus Francos – his excellent handling of the law and his critical thinking, accompanied by his humane and direct treatment of clients, make him an invaluable asset for any company.’
‘It is a well-rounded team that has specialists in all areas. The ease of communication, and their ability to understand their clients and accept different points of view makes them different from others.’
‘With Fabiola Medina and Jesus Francos, I can confidentially deal with any important issue that, however complex it may be, they end up understanding easily and present more than one alternative.’
‘It is an organised, efficient team that quickly responds to client requests, proceeding in a timely manner to achieve the expected results.’
‘It has an exceptional team led by Fabiola Medina, whose human qualities are matched by her intelligence and skill as a lawyer, and Jesús Francos is a very organised partner, with excellent delivery who conveys confidence with his knowledge and customer service. Melissa Silié is a brilliant professional with a very promising future. Jansy Castro does an excellent job in the litigation area.’
Autopista del Nordeste (ADN)/Boulevard Turístico del Atlántico (BTA)
Compañía Dominicana de Teléfonos
Consejo Económico y Social (CES)
Constructora del País (CODELPA)
García Tejera y Asociados
- Represented Boulevard Turístico del Atlántico (BTA) and Autopista del Nordeste (ADN) in a dispute with the Dominican state related to the concession agreement for the design, financing, construction, operation and management of the Juan Pablo II toll road and Boulevard Turístico del Atlántico.
- Representing Compañía Dominicana de Teléfonos (CLARO) in a request for an administrative sanction against Trilogy Dominicana (VIVA) for marketing a 4G service through some frequencies of the radioelectric spectrum without the corresponding administrative licence.
- Representing Worldwide Seguros in a lawsuit against the Dominican Institute of Telecommunications (INDOTEL) and Humano Seguros before the Superior Administrative Court.
Pellerano & Herrera
Praised for its ‘excellent technical knowledge‘, Pellerano & Herrera‘s wide-ranging dispute resolution practice spans high-profile criminal litigation, shareholder disputes, distributor protection, product liability and consumer rights cases, and real estate and sport-related litigation. In particular, the team stands out for its niche expertise in cybercrime litigation, acting for a number of major international clients. Vitelio Mejía Ortiz, who has longstanding experience in tax disputes and sports litigation and arbitration, co-heads the department with the ‘proactive and diligent‘ Lucy Objío, an expert in commercial, criminal, maritime insurance and labour disputes. Senior associates Yolemny Cruz and Sheila Oviedo provide key support.
Vitelio Mejia Ortiz; Lucy Objío
‘The team is highly qualified.’
‘Lucy Objío is proactive and diligent.’
‘Excellent technical knowledge, collaboration and case follow-up.’
‘Sheila Oviedo is a lawyer who transmits a lot of confidence, follows up on issues and makes valuable contributions on complicated issues.’
David Ortiz “Big Papi”
Wartsila North America
AFESA Medio Ambiente
Corporacion Minera Dominicana (Cormidom)
- Acting for Dominican-American retired professional baseball player David Ortiz in ongoing criminal proceedings after he was shot and severely wounded while at a bar in Santo Domingo.
- Representing Wartsila North America in a lawsuit filed by Alesca, which was seeking $3m for the brokerage services of two electric generators valued at $200,000.
- Representing Bayridge Group in criminal proceedings against a former partner over an alleged $1.6m fraud, resulting from the lack of payment derived from the sale of a commercial tower they jointly built.
Pereyra & Asociados
With ‘considerable experience‘ and an ‘excellent command‘ of the law, the team at Pereyra & Asociados has a strong track record in civil, criminal and administrative disputes before courts and arbitration forums of all levels. Particularly notable areas of expertise include contractual claims, tort cases, family disputes, labour litigation, commercial cases and constitutional litigation. Luis Miguel Pereyra, whose practice covers civil, commercial, administrative and constitutional law, heads the team alongside Gregorio García Villavizar, who has expertise in labour and real estate disputes. Emma Mejía Batlle is also a key name to note.
Luis Miguel Pereyra; Gregorio García Villamizar
‘This firm provides excellent legal support, constantly monitors the cases assigned to it, has considerable experience and an excellent command of the current legal framework, and strives to obtain the best possible result for its client.’
‘The lawyers of the firm are very responsible, and handle themselves with great professionalism and ethics. They have an excellent command of the issues they work on, they always offer a 360-degree view of the situation and provide you with perspectives that go beyond the merely legal aspects. Among the firm’s partners, I would like to highlight the work of Luis Miguel Pereyra, Gregorio Garcia and Emma Mejia.’
Aeropuerto Internacional de Bavaro
Esso Standard Oil
Ecolab – Microtek
Mondelez International (Cadbury-Kraft)
Haina International Terminals
Playa Grande Holdings
Napco Securities Group
Sanofi – Aventis
VF Corporation (Timberland)
Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM)
- Representing Aeropuerto Internacional de Bavaro in a dispute over the authorisation granted by the Dominican government for the development of an international airport in Bavaro.
- Defending Eaton Corporation against a lawsuit for breach of contract brought by a company responsible for the disposal of scrap and waste from its manufacturing plant.
Biaggi Abogados has expanded its dispute resolution practice to cover inheritance, labour, environmental, corruption and corporate crime, and bankruptcy and insolvency cases, as well as civil, commercial and administrative litigation. In particular, the team has recently been active in several high-profile criminal cases, led by practice co-head Gustavo Biaggi. His fellow co-head, the ‘outstanding‘ Wanda Perdomo, is the key contact for local and international arbitration and mediation, and ‘very valuable‘ senior associate Heidy Guerrero is noted for civil, commercial, administrative and labour litigation.
Wanda Perdomo; Gustavo Biaggi
‘It is a firm that knows how to work as a team. They are always there when you need them. Heidy Guerrero is a complete professional who combines dedication, integrity, a positive disposition, availability and, above all, efficiency in all her efforts. My words cannot describe such a professional.’
‘This team has no comparison. The personalised treatment of the client, the attention to detail, the time they invest in educating us, the availability, the flow of communication, the sense of urgency and the timely coordination are key elements which makes their service stand out.’
‘There are so many pluses that I wouldn’t know where to start listing them. Heidy Guerrero exceeds any expectation that we could have had when choosing someone to represent us in any dispute (no matter how big or small). The trust developed is such that before making any decision, both in the company and personally, we make a consultation call to her.’
‘We have worked with different renowned firms, however, we have never achieved what we treasure today from this relationship: full trust and openness, a sense of sympathy for our company, clear and continuous communication, professional advice focused on permeating knowledge and establishing mechanisms to prevent future disputes, exhaustive documentation of each case, and weekly and monthly summaries and reminders of the cases dealt with.’
‘Heidy Guerrero is a very valuable resource for us.’
‘It is a prestigious firm. Wanda Perdomo is outstanding – she is highly responsible and collaborative.’
‘What makes the firm unique is its ability to handle all branches of litigation with the same level of quality. The personalised treatment of clients, the availability, the sense of urgency and the assertiveness of their advice, as well as the impeccable management of legal strategy, make them superior to other firms.’
‘Wanda Perdomo and Heidy Guerrero stand out for their extensive knowledge of different kinds of litigation, great practical skills and coherent approach, as well as their ability to mitigate risks, deliver clear expectations and provide an excellent service, which makes you feel valued and informed at all times.’
Jose Dencil Mera Jiménez
Grupo Eólico Dominicano
Jean Alain Rodríguez Sánchez
Verde Eco Reciclaje Industrial (VERI)
JMMB Banco de Ahorro y Crédito
JMMB Fondo de Inversión Cerrado Inmobiliario
Grupo ReadJean Alain Rodríguez Sánchez
Little Caesars Pizza
- Leading the defence of Jean Alain Rodríguez Sánchez, the former attorney general of the Dominican Republic, in light of his pre-indictment by the Public Corruption Specialised Unit of the Attorney General on alleged public corruption charges.
- Leading the criminal defence of Jose Dencil Mera Jiménez in a complex case involving a pre-indictment by the Attorney General and the insolvency of his commercial companies.
- Representing Verde Eco Reciclaje Industrial (VERI) in constitutional and administrative processes seeking to obtain full compliance with environmental law and a pivotal constitutional ruling ordering the Ministry of the Environment effectively prohibiting the exportation of used acid-lead batteries.
Castillo y Castillo
Castillo y Castillo is experienced in high-stakes corporate and commercial, financial, IP, real estate, labour and civil litigation, and is also noted for its ‘robust, knowledgeable and ethical‘ arbitration practice, which handles both local and international cases. Senior associate José Manuel Batlle leads the team, with considerable expertise in corporate, labour and IP litigation. Other notable names include senior associates Flavia Báez, a specialist in financial and real estate litigation, and Juan Acosta, who is noted for aviation and maritime disputes, and associate Camilo Caraballo.
José Manuel Batlle
‘The team at Castillo & Castillo has a passion for the job, compassion for clients, willingness to listen, good judgement, knowledge of the law, strong drafting abilities, creativity and ethics. It is without doubt the most well-rounded law firm in Dominican Republic.’
‘Jose Manuel Batlle is an active listener, perceives other people’s emotions very well, and is intelligent, ethical, open to communication and impartial, always focusing on the conflict itself. Camilo Caraballo has great communications skills, excellent drafting abilities and respect for clients, judges and all members of the judicial system. The Castillo arbitration team is robust, knowledgeable and ethical.’
‘Excellent service, accessible, excellent personal relationships with clients, and a high level of responsibility. The billing is very reasonable.’
‘We feel very well defended. José Manuel Batlle and Flavia Báez are masters of their profession.’
‘The team has specialised professionals who are proactive and analytical.’
‘The team members prepare for each different task with care and are aware of all the implications. Their level of involvement is high and demonstrates empowerment.’
‘They are very professional, with a lot of experience, command and management of the different areas of the law. The lawyers have a real personal touch, availability and willingness to collaborate.’
‘The team stands out for its experience and professional quality, reputation, accessibility and knowledge of our requirements, our procedures and the cases worked on during the many years of relationship with our company. We have developed an excellent working relationship with Juan Alejandro Acosta and Jose Manuel Batlle.’
Banco Popular Dominicano
Gulfstream Petroleum Dominicana
Grupo San Juan
- Representing several companies and executives from Grupo Piñero in the defence of an appeal filed by the relatives of tourists who died in a plane accident during an excursion booked through the tour operator of the client’s hotel in Bávaro, Punta Cana.
- Representing Riu Hotels in a breach of contract dispute with the seller over the termination of a land sale contract that involves a beachfront property in Punta Cana.
- Representing Nisibon Gardens and its shareholders and executives in more than five litigation cases brought by a shareholder, alleging that a capital increase of the company was carried out illegally.
Highlighted for its ‘excellent legal strategies‘, Guzmán Ariza has long experience in dispute resolution. The firm has particular strength in bankruptcy and restructuring cases, and is currently representing both creditors and debtors in high-profile proceedings. Other areas of expertise include disputes in the real estate, construction and hospitality sectors. Fabio Guzmán Ariza, who is highly regarded for bankruptcy, labour and medical malpractice litigation, leads the practice alongside Rhadaisis Espinal, Alberto Reyes Báez and Julio Brea Guzmán, who has notable expertise in real estate and condominium disputes.
Fabio Guzmán Ariza; Rhadaisis Espinal; Julio Brea Guzmán; Alberto Reyes Baez
‘Guzman Ariza’s team maintains a high standard of professionalism when it comes to providing us with the required service. Likewise, I highly value the client protocol and individualised files that are used for electronic communication with us. Dealing with the client is always correct in terms of the client-lawyer relationship, which is of the utmost importance so that the client has the confidence to adhere to the process.’
‘The team stands out for its professionalism in dealing with queries and other documentation, as well as its availability to attend to our requirements, the high level of knowledge, practical solutions and diligence in the matters required by us as clients.’
‘What differentiates the team is its knowledge of the subject, management and use of technology to solve cases, prompt responses to clients and excellent legal strategies.’
‘Julio Brea is highly motivated to provide the best client service, and has the ability to respond immediately to the client’s requirements, provides an excellent service and identifies with the company’s values.’
‘The Guzman Ariza team have good reasoning that allow them to analyse situations comprehensively, with a business-oriented vision. The collaboration between team members in their different areas of specialisation is notable.’
‘The team’s best qualities are their willingness and sense of urgency to attend calls and meetings and answer questions.’
JJH Capital Inversiones Extranjeras
Wells Fargo Bank
Sunwing Travel Group
Meliá Hotels International
Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Consorcio de Construcciones Planificadas
Dominican Government (Bahía de las Aguilas)
Tierra Del Sol
Dream City Country Club and Resort
Playa Encuentro Beach Resort
- Acting for PAWA Dominicana in its bankruptcy proceedings, the largest and most complex so far in the Dominican Republic.
- Successfully defended Club Med against a $6m lawsuit filed by a cigar producing company for an allegedly illegal eviction from its supposedly rented premises in the resort.
- Acting for Wells Fargo in the collection of mortgage debt originally recorded in the name of Wachovia Bank, which merged with Wells Fargo in 2010, on a property in Case de Campo.
Jiménez Peña particularly stands out for its strength in international arbitration, including representing both foreign investors and the Dominican state in investment treaty arbitration. The firm also has a broad litigation practice, which handles commercial, civil, administrative, real estate and constitutional disputes, and has a long track record in labour litigation and debt collection actions. Founding partner Marcos Peña Rodríguez leads the arbitration team jointly with newly promoted partner Laura Medina Acosta, while Rosa (Lisa) Díaz, who also specialises in labour disputes, heads the litigation practice.
Marcos Peña; Rosa (Lisa) Díaz; Laura Medina Acosta
ADM Latin America
AIC International Investments
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Washington Nationals Baseball Club
- Represented AIC International Investments in multiple foreclosure procedures for approximately 126 properties, pursuing the collection of over $64m against over 40 defendants.
- Defended Alstom Group in the courts against allegations of breach of contract, successfully arguing the lack of application of Law 173 and the applicability of an arbitration clause.
- Acted for Celuisma in challenging an award before the Court of Appeal following two conflicting arbitral awards.
JJ Roca & Asociados
JJ Roca & Asociados‘ wide-ranging litigation practice spans bank fraud and cybercrime cases, commercial litigation, criminal cases, asset recovery and enforcement actions, and real estate disputes. The firm has also seen an increase in intellectual property litigation, including representing international trade mark holders in cross-border cases. Jaime Roca, who has long experience of acting for banks, financial institutions and major companies in a range of disputes, co-heads the team with Felicia Santana, an expert in financial, labour, administrative, real estate and restructuring litigation.
Jaime Roca; Felicia Santana
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana
Red Dot Tech
Communicate To Connect (C2C)
Scotiabank Republica Dominicana, Banco Múltiple
Ascendancy Caribbean I
Kaeser Compresores República Dominicana,
Aeropuerto Internacional José Francisco Peña Gómez
- Defending Cartones del Caribe against a claim for subrogation of rights and claim for the validity of a lien filed by a commercial company that claims to have acquired the rights of COYDISA, a company contracted by La Distribuidora de Electricidad de Este (EDESTE) for the rehabilitation of the electricity networks of its property.
- Defended Scotiabank in a labour lawsuit seeking the nullity of the unilateral termination of an employment contract because allegedly the worker had tested positive for HIV.
- Acting for Ainda Invest, as administrator of Los Altos I Condominium, in filing actions against the owners of two properties in the Casa de Campo tourist complex for failing to pay maintenance fees.
OMG‘s dispute resolution team counts major domestic and multinational companies from a range of sectors, including healthcare, financial services, aviation, telecoms and tourism, among its clients. Notable recent areas of activity include commercial, administrative, insurance and real estate-related litigation. Director Tristán Carbuccia leads the practice and has experience in foreclosure and collection proceedings, domestic and international arbitration, and criminal, administrative and constitutional law. Corporate partners Leonel Melo and Esperanza Cabral are also key contacts for related disputes.
‘It is a very responsible team, which is prepared and has a lot of experience in the issues they handle.’
‘They always provide you with a 360-degree view of the issues, and they suggest very innovative alternatives that go beyond merely legal advice.’
Agua Planeta Azul
Warren & Warren Productions
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Consorcio Azucarero de Empresas Industriales (CAEI)
Sociedad Española de Montajes Industriales
- Acted for InterCaribbean Airways to achieve the revocation of the cancellation of routes in violation of the international agreement between the United Kingdom and the Dominican Republic concerning civil aviation.
- Successfully defended Agua Planeta Azul and its current majority shareholder Loganville in several ongoing lawsuits regarding several deviations from the representations and guarantees given by the former shareholders of the company in relation to its EBITDA for the year 2019 and its financial statements.
- Defending Infinity Vacations Dominicana in a dispute with the Dominican Internal Revenue Agency, which in 2021 initiated a collection process against the client despite having a tax exemption granted in its favour by the Tourism Development Council.
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti‘s ‘very capable‘ team is experienced in a wide range of commercial, civil, criminal and constitutional litigation, including complex multi-jurisdictional cases. Notable areas of expertise include contractual disputes, particularly those involving distribution agents in the Dominican Republic, and fraud, insurance, tax and family law cases. Managing partner Georges Santoni Recio leads the team alongside senior associate Joan Batista Molina, who has expertise in criminal, real estate and administrative law. José Maldonado Stark and Luis Heredia Valenzuela are also names to note.
Georges Santoni Recio; Joan Batista Molina
‘We have felt particularly supported by the firm’s development of a highly effective defence strategy. We have felt that they give us added value, not only in our defence in litigation, but also in coming up with proactive and highly technical and strategic proposals that have led us to excellent results.’
‘It is a multidisciplinary team and they always advise us correctly in the various areas of law they cover. The team are all very capable.’
‘They are always available and are informed in a timely manner of what is happening in the country.’
‘They provide support for clients’ specific requirements.’
‘The lawyers have fast and detailed communication with clients.’
Impregilo (Webuild)/Consorcio Impregilo-Yarull
Antillean Marine Shipping Corporation
Mead Johnson Nutrition Dominicana
World Fuel Services
- Representing an international shipping company in a lawsuit filed by national insurance companies claiming reimbursement for alleged payments made abroad because of a stranded vessel.
- Leading the legal strategy for the recovery of equipment that was illegally retained by a free trade zone park and successfully obtained several judgments allowing the client access to the equipment and their seizure.
- Representing a client in a claim brought by the parents of a child whose image has been used on the cover of the packaging of the client’s main milk formula products.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs stands out for its experience in international disputes, benefitting from its global network of offices. Among its areas of strength are international arbitration (including investment disputes) and civil, commercial, real estate, tax, labour and administrative litigation involving private international law matters. Pedro Gamundi leads the team with Carolina Soto Hernández, an expert in local and international commercial, civil and labour disputes. Senior associate Francisco Batlle, who focuses on international arbitration, and associate Sarah Roa are also noted.
Pedro Gamundi; Carolina Soto Hernández
Owens-Illinois and subsidiaries OI Puerto Rico STS and Owens-Brockway Glass Container
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
Republic Bank (Trinidad & Tobago) Republic (DR)
Earthbound Holdings I
Republic of Costa Rica
Empresa Pública de Hidrocarburos del Ecuador – EP Petroecuador (Petroecuador)
Republic of Ecuador
- Representing Owens-Illinois in ongoing complex and protracted litigation related to a joint venture, share purchase and technical assistance agreements related to glass manufacturing, and the enforcement of a $90m insurance policy claim.
- Representing Inversiones Gómez Camargo in filing an administrative appeal before the Ministry of Finance and the Administrative Court relating to the cancellation of the client’s gambling machine manufacturing licence.
- Acting for MK in an administrative appeal against the client’s disqualification from the bidding contest conducted by the Dominican government for the concession of Manzanillo Port.
De Camps, Vásquez & Valera
De Camps, Vásquez & Valera handles civil, criminal and administrative litigation at both trial and appellate level, and also has experience of arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution. At the head of the practice, Diana De Camps Contreras has wide-ranging expertise in commercial, real estate and public procurement disputes, including multi-jurisdictional cases, and Amaury Reyes Torres represents clients in civil, commercial, electoral, administrative and constitutional litigation.
Diana De Camps Contreras; Amaury Reyes Torres
‘What makes this practice unique is the attention to detail.’
‘The plus that makes the firm’s lawyers stand out is their professionalism.’
‘It is a young team that is well trained and very practical in its recommendations. Its advice on all issues is very thorough. It offers the client real options and clearly defines the risks.’
‘Diana De Camps is an excellent professional, with the ability not only to analyse the problem from a legal point of view, but also from a business point of view. She is efficient, follows up with clients properly and cares.’
‘What stands out about the team is the close relationships with clients, personal and direct treatment, rational and timely use of new technologies, empathy with the client, friendliness, confidence, periodic updates and fair billing.’
Angela Martinez (Tom Moss)
Mones Packaging Solutions (MOPACK)
Sargeant Marine Petroleum
Partido Revolucionario Social Demócrata (PRSD)
Steway Corporation STCO
Marítima Dominicana (MARDOM)
Carlos José Noboa
- Acting for Grupo Cisneros in a dispute over the land for an eco-tourism project in Miches, which is located in a protected zone.
- Acting for Sergeant Marine Petroleum in a dispute over damage caused by the Asphalt Lion barge to a berth in the Haina Occidental Port.
- Acted for Steway Corporation in an opposition action filed against government electric company CDEEE over the termination of a contract.
DMK Abogados represents major domestic and multinational clients from the pharmaceutical, tourism, manufacturing, energy and construction sectors, among others, in a wide range of litigation. The team’s key areas of strength include civil, commercial, real estate and administrative disputes, and it also has an excellent track record in labour litigation. Iván García Elsevyf leads the team, which was bolstered by the arrival of Patricia Núñez from Estrella & Tupete in August 2021.
Ivan Garcia Elsevyf
‘Very good advice and understanding of the situation.’
‘Ivan Garcia and Patricia Nuñes are very professional.’
Corporación Aeroportuaria del Este
Senator Hotels & Resorts
Diesel Expert Quebec
Civil Del Caribe
- Representing Corporacion Aeroportuaria del Este (CAE) in an administrative appeal against the construction of the Bavaro International Airport, alleging a series of irregularities and defects in the approval process and non-compliance with legal requirements.
- Represented a multinational pharmaceutical company whose operations were irregularly blocked in 2016 by the Ministry of Public Health, preventing it from continuing to sell its products under the High-Cost Medications and Medical Assistance Program.
- Defending Nokia against the wrongful seizure of assets by the Dominican tax authorities.
ECIJA DVMS particularly stands out for its expertise in litigation and arbitration in the sports sector, but its practice spans foreclosure, civil, commercial, administrative, labour and land-related disputes. In particular, the team has seen an increase in arbitration, competition law cases and challenges to foreign judgments. Practice head Edward Salcedo is highly active in representing Major League Baseball clubs in high-profile litigation. Associates Arístides Victoria and Erika Gomez are also noted.
St Louis Cardinals
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana (RCD Hotels – Inversiones Zahena)
Helidosa Aviation Group
Oben Holding Group
San Diego Padres
Grupo Lácteo del Caribe Gruplac (Dos Pinos)
New York Mets
K & B Family Office
Midland Trust Company
Texas Rangers Baseball
Alvaro Skupin and Nancy Alvarez
TEVA & Asociados (Credicefi)
- Represented Mercantil Farmacéutica, a distributor of pharmaceutical products for GlaxoSmithKline, in seeking to suspend and revert a decision by the Competition Authority of the Dominican Republic which was unfavourable for the client and other distributors, in the first collusion case in the country under the Competition Law of the Dominican Republic.
- Acted for Texas Rangers in a $250m breach of contract and damages claim filed by a prospect, who claims to have been discriminated against and has widely publicised a documentary relating to alleged abuses in the baseball industry in the Dominican Republic.
- Acting for Dr Alvaro Skupin and his wife Nancy Alvarez in a defamation and libel criminal claim filed by journalist Nuria Piera over investigative reports broadcast in the Dominican Republic and the US relating to stem cells.
Guzmán & Molina, Abogados
Guzmán & Molina, Abogados is highly active in civil and commercial litigation, particularly contractual and corporate disputes, tort claims, and foreclosure and bankruptcy cases. Other areas of strength include tax, administrative, labour and real estate litigation, while the team also has notable experience in local and international arbitration. Firm co-founder Lucas Guzmán leads the practice, with support from corporate partner Paola Molina.
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Eden Roc at Cap Cana
Montes & Merino
Sociedad de Empresas de Combustibles y Derivados (SEC)
Fertilizantes Santo Domingo (FERSÁN)
Alfredo Wiese Imbert
Centro Médico Otorrino
Juan Tomás Peña Soriano
Aeropuerto Internacional de Bávaro (AIB)
- Successfully represented Sociedad de Empresas de Combustibles y Derivados (SEC), the main representatives of fuel and derivatives companies, in a complaint before the Constitutional Court in which a sensitive part of a recently enacted law to eradicate illicit trade, smuggling and counterfeiting of regulated products was declared as constitutional.
- Successfully represented Volare Group in the appeal against an arbitration award made against the client in an international arbitration relating to a distribution agreement and in preventing the enforcement of the award.
- Successfully represented luxury boutique hotel Eden Roc at Cap Cana in an administrative claim before the Superintendency of Banks, seeking the temporary replacement of American Express credit card services (which were unexpectedly terminated by Scotiabank) and damages.
Martínez, Peña & Fernández
With litigation as its core focus, Martínez, Peña & Fernández is well versed in representing major banks and international corporations in criminal, debt collection and breach of contract cases. Other key areas of expertise include acting for government entities in administrative and constitutional litigation and handling arbitration cases. Luis Ernesto Peña Jiménez, an expert in energy, public procurement and constitutional disputes, leads the practice with Abraham Fernández Arbaje and Richard Martínez Amparo, who manages the banking litigation department.
Richard Martínez; Abraham Fernández; Luis Ernesto Peña
‘They have an excellent professionalism and dedication to service. They are always available and up to date with legal developments.’
‘The firm’s work ethic, strict adherence to the rules and honesty and clarity when issuing legal opinions and judgements. Luis Ernesto Peña Jimenez is completely dedicated to offering a quality legal service and adhering to the law.’
‘The team is distinguished by its personalised attention to clients, care over the details and constant progress updates.’
‘They are specialists in their subject area, including Luis Ernesto Peña Jimenez.’
‘The team at Martínez, Peña and Fernández is characterised by its personalised, affable, always available and extremely human treatment of clients. Together with its technical expertise, we believe that this is the exceptional added value of the firm.’
‘The team stands out for its great sense of responsibility and its availability, along with the technical quality of its services.’
‘They are committed, loyal and diligent.’
‘Both Abraham Fernández and Luis Ernesto Peña are outstanding.’
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos (APAP)
Banco Múltiple Banesco
Banco de Ahorro y Crédito Unión
Banco Múltiple BHD-Leon
ESPN Sur/Disney (Latam)
Grupo Constructora Pérez Domínguez
Grupo Empresarial MAX
Consorcio Energético Punta Cana-Macao (CEPM)
Germaine de Capuccini
- Representing COBINCA in a breach of contract lawsuit against the National Copyright Agency.
- Represented Omar Marrero Rizek in several cases over the embargo of his shares and benefits in a stock market management fund.
- Represented Grupo Ramos in several criminal cases ranging from unlawful embargo and forgery of documents to fraud filed against suppliers and creditors, jointly with the District Attorney’s office.
Pellerano Nadal‘s broad dispute resolution practice spans litigation, local and international arbitration, and mediation. The team handles civil, criminal, commercial, labour and tax disputes, as well as constitutional and administrative litigation, and has notable strength in environmental and mining cases, where Gustavo Mena has particular expertise. Mena, who is also active in commercial and labour litigation, co-heads the practice with managing partner Luis Rafael Pellerano. Associate B Génesis Rodríguez provides key support.
Gustavo Mena; Luis Rafael Pellerano
‘The firm works closely with the client to meet the client’s requirements and always prioritises the cost/benefit ratio when analysing any dispute situation.’
‘The lawyers have a very close identification with the values and principles of the client, acting as true members of the team. Luis Rafael Pellerano and Genesis Rodriguez deserve a special mention.’
Belfond Enterprises (Pederson and Partners)
Jetblue Airways Corporation
Dominicana de Cales
Inversiones Gómez Camargo
MK Inc of the Palm Beaches
- Representing Belfond Enterprises in a variety of disputes, including an environmental injunction and a termination of contract and damages claim.
- Representing Jetblue Airways in various disputes, including civil, commercial and labour claims.
- Representing Dominicana de Cales (DOCALSA) in an environmental dispute over the contamination of La Toma, brought by the special prosecutor for the defence of the environment and natural resources of San Cristóbal Province.
Specialising in economic and financial crime litigation, Mazara Abogados is particularly active in corruption-related cases. In addition, the firm is highlighted for its expertise in administrative litigation, with a focus on disputes in the energy sector. Managing partner Yurosky Mazara, who has extensive experience in high-profile litigation, leads the practice with manager Lissette Tamárez.
Yurosky Mazara; Lissette Tamarez Bruno
‘This office has excellent technical quality, especially in criminal matters.’
‘The attorney with whom we have had the closest relationship is Yurosky Mazara, who is an excellent attorney – intelligent, studious, responsible and agile in response.’
‘The client service of this practice is excellent, and the treatment of clients and the level of response is extraordinary. Regarding billing, fluidity in services has always been very good. The staff of this law firm are highly trained, the rates are very competitive and the legal strategies used have always been successful in the various cases that we have worked on together.’
‘The availability of staff is the plus that makes this law firm stand out from the rest, as well as its responsiveness and efficient service.’
Seguros La Colonial
Brugal & Co
- Represented Luis José Asilis Elmúdesi and several companies from the Metro Group in a tax fraud case against him for more than 170 million pesos.
- Represented New Asia Novelty Co, which had plans to acquire the Micro Savings and Credit Bank for $2m and were deceived by the main members of the Board of Directors of the Peravia Group.
- Represented Sofia Lugo, Marcia Piantini and Adolfo del Prado in a fraud case against Francisco Vicens for over $3m involving false shares of Seguros Universal.
Ulises Cabrera‘s diverse areas of expertise include disputes relating to forced evictions, licensing contracts, tax collection, public contracting, financial and technology-related crime, and damages claims in the maritime sector. In addition, the team is active in the settlement of disputes involving high-profile families in the Dominican Republic. Founding partner Ulises Cabrera, who is noted for his mediation experience, leads the practice with managing partner José Cruz Campillo and senior associate Ramón Lantigua Arias.
Ulises Cabrera; José Cruz Campillo; Ramón Lantigua
‘The firm stands out for its indisputable experience in dispute resolution in the different branches of civil, commercial and real estate law. Ulises Cabrera has a dynamic dispute resolution team, where the experience and joviality of the professionals that make it up converge. They come up with capable and innovative strategies.’
‘The team has professional capacity, commitment, excellent service, and resolute, innovative, friendly and close relationships with its clients. In this team I would like to highlight Ulises Cabrera.’
‘There is an old expression that indicates that the best lawsuit is the one that is not made. With the mediation of the lawyers at Ulises Cabrera, my conflict could be resolved in a fair and harmonious manner for both parties, thus avoiding an endless litigation that it would end up wearing down both sides. In my opinion, this firm deserves its prestige in this sensitive area by taking care of the interests of its clients.’
‘Thanks to their experience, they better understand the subtleties of the cases and they have a different procedure, and this is the additional qualification that I see for Ulises Cabrera.’
Antonio P Haché & Co
Asociación Dominicana de Rehabilitación
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos (APAP)
Baterías Dominicanas (BateriDom)
EnviroGold (Las Lagunas)
Premier Destination Service
- Successfully represented EnviroGold (Las Lagunas) in a dispute with the Dominican Tax Authority in challenging a general tax exemption granted under a special concession agreement with the Dominican state for a gold mining project.
- Acting for Baterías Dominicanas (BateriDom) in the constitutional review of a judgment handed down by the Supreme Court of Justice in connection with a lawsuit on the wrongful unilateral termination of a distribution agreement.
- Acting for Comercial San Esteban (Cosanca) in long-running litigation over the unilateral termination of a fuel transportation agreement with Esso.