Biaggi Abogados handles a wide range of contentious work, counting medical malpractice, real estate, competition and insolvency among its areas of expertise. The team also stands out for its experience in cases involving fraud and economic crimes. Its client base includes individuals, domestic companies and multinational corporations, drawn from a broad spectrum of sectors. Real estate litigation expert Gustavo Biaggi jointly heads the practice with Wanda Perdomo, who is highly regarded for her expertise in arbitration. Also noted are associates Heidy Guerrero and Nelys Rivas. Edward Veras-Vargas left the firm in July 2019.
Dispute resolution in Dominican Republic
Club Atletico Licey, Inc.
Soventix Caribbean S.R.L.
Puerto Plata de Electricidad S. A.
Verde Eco Reciclaje Industrial (VERI)
JMMB Fondo de Inversión Cerrado Inmobiliario
Global Skin Dominicana S.R.L.
Bretagne Holding Limited
State Sugar Council
- Acting for Puerto Plata de Electricidad in a dispute with the Dominican General Tax Agency regarding the collection of alleged unpaid income tax.
- Representing the Dominican State Sugar Council in parallel litigation to recover two properties currently held in the names of alleged non-authorised third parties.
- Successfully defended Drexmore Industries in a shareholders dispute.
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández balances a large litigation caseload, and also stands out for its experience in cases before the Supreme Court. The team is noted for its strong capabilities in labour and banking litigation, although the group is also adept at assisting clients with a broad range of contentious mandates. Francisco Alvarez, who has an excellent reputation for his litigation expertise, is representing the Dominican General Tax Agency in long-running criminal proceedings against the Tremols Group regarding a multimillion-dollar tax fraud. Alvarez heads the team in conjunction with labour litigation expert Tomás Hernández. Julio Camejo is a key contact for white-collar criminal and environmental law cases; Jaime Senior and Manuel Madera are noted for their expertise in commercial litigation.
The Central Bank of the Dominican Republic
Grupo Punta Cana
- Defending a multinational biotechnology company against a $9m damages claim concerning alleged breach of contract.
- Acts for the Dominican General Tax Agency in criminal proceedings against the Tremols Group regarding a multimillion-dollar tax fraud.
Highly regarded arbitrator Fabiola Medina heads Medina Garrigó Abogados' department in conjunction with administrative law expert Jesús Francos. Key areas of instruction for the 'professional' team include antitrust, corporate, tax and constitutional litigation and arbitration. Insurance, energy, telecoms and sports have been particularly busy sectors for the team, which is also equipped to handle high-profile white-collar criminal law cases. Associate Melissa Silié Ruiz has significant experience in antitrust matters.
Mapfre Bhd Seguros S.A.
Claro Dominicana S.A.
Pimentel Piña & Asociados S.A.
Corporación Minera Dominicana, S.A.
Seguros Reservas S.A.
Soluciones en gas Natural, S.A. (SGN)
- Defending the Dominican Football Federation against two claims brought against the client by former members of the association.
- Representing HES Group in diverse claims regarding the acquisition of the Silver Sun Gallery.
- Defending insurance company Seguros Reservas in a $3.2m damages claim.
- Represented construction company Pimentel Piña & Asociados in a $3.5m claim against electricity company EDEESTE concerning the termination of a procurement agreement.
Counting aviation and sports litigation as traditional areas of strength, Pellerano & Herrera's team of 'excellent lawyers' is equally adept at handling labour, tax, customs, criminal, consumer and real estate disputes; energy, tourism, technology and healthcare have been particularly busy sectors. Cybercrime is a niche strength for the team. Vitelio Mejía Ortiz, with almost four decades of experience in litigation, heads the team in conjunction with Félix Fernández and Lucy Objío, who counts arbitration and labour litigation as key areas of expertise. The trio are representing retired Red Sox baseball player David Ortiz, who was shot in the back in a case of reported mistaken identity, in criminal proceedings against the suspects.
‘The team is highly qualified and experienced in the Dominican market‘.
Jet Blue Airways Corporation
Banco Popular Dominicano
- Representing retired Red Sox baseball player David Ortiz as a victim in criminal proceedings.
- Acts as counsel to the defendant, a Dominican company wholly owned by a private client, in a $110m dispute regarding ownership of a large plot of land in Punta Cana, La Altagracia province.
- Represents Japanese company Sanrio in anti-counterfeiting matters.
Pereyra & Asociados has a solid track record in handling a range of disputes; commercial, administrative, labour, criminal, real estate and constitutional litigation are core pillars of the practice. Arbitration is also prominent in the team's caseload; Luis Miguel Pereyra is highly regarded for his expertise in this area, notably in international arbitration. Pereyra and litigator Gregorio García jointly lead the department, which has recently expanded its client base with several new clients in the food and beverage, pharmaceutical and financial services sectors.
- Acting for a prominent oil and gas company in a $74m arbitration.
- Defending Eaton Corporation against a claim concerning an alleged breach of contract.
Castillo y Castillo
Castillo y Castillo's 'excellent' practice houses a 'proactive and dynamic' team, which has attracted praise for its 'professionalism, dedication, and knowledge' and its 'efficiency in litigation'. Key areas of instruction for the group include shareholder disputes, civil and commercial litigation, hospitality and leisure-related litigation, arbitration, and white-collar criminal cases. Highly regarded senior associate José Manuel Batlle leads the department, and is supported by partner Práxedes Castillo Báez, who acts for financial institutions and domestic and international entities in contentious matters. Associate Camilo Caraballo is also recommended.
‘The dispute resolution team at Castillo & Castillo show great attention to the detail‘.
‘A proactive and dynamic team‘.
‘Excellent communication skills‘.
‘The professionalism, dedication, and knowledge of the litigation team at Castillo & Castillo make them a great choice for any company‘.
‘Efficiency in litigation‘.
‘The team have great analytical abilities‘.
‘José Manuel Batlle is an excellent lawyer who goes above and beyond in his cases‘.
‘Camilo Caraballo provides an excellent service to clients‘.
Banco Popular Dominicano
Popular Bank Limited
Gulfstream Petroleum Dominicana
Grupo San Juan
- Defending Grupo Excellence in a $3m dispute regarding land ownership.
- Representing Grupo San Juan in two long-running, related shareholder disputes.
- Acting for Grupo Iberostar in a Supreme Court appeal against a damages claim.
Managing partner and well-regarded litigator Fabio Guzmán Ariza heads Guzmán Ariza's dispute resolution department, which is active in real estate, commercial and civil litigation, and is also strong in white-collar criminal cases. Insolvency litigation is another key area of instruction for the 'always available and well prepared' team. Rhadaisis Espinal has an excellent reputation for her expertise in litigious work; Alberto Reyes is noted for his strength in administrative and commercial litigation and arbitration. Special counsel Melissa Sosa and senior counsel Marianne Olivares, who is based in the Punta Cana office, are also noted.
‘Always available and well prepared‘.
‘Marianne Olivares is excellent‘.
JJH Capital Inversiones Extranjeras
Wells Fargo Bank
Sunwing Travel Group
Meliá Hotels International
Edesur Dominicana, SA
Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Consorcio de Construcciones Planificadas
Dominican Government (Bahía de las Aguilas)
- Acting for Wells Fargo in a long-running claim regarding the collection of a $4m mortgage debt.
- Defending Meliá Hotels International in a number of civil, commercial and real estate claims.
- Representing Colombian construction company Trevi Galante in long-running litigation against Opret regarding construction work for the Santo Domingo Metro.
Jiménez Peña's contentious practice is jointly led by well-regarded litigation and arbitration expert Marcos Peña Rodríguez and Rosa Díaz, who counts labour litigation as a core strength. The department reports an uptick in arbitration mandates, and is also recognised for its capabilities in commercial litigation, labour litigation and contentious insurance cases; instructions from construction and real estate clients have been prominent in the team's recent workload. Senior associate Laura Medina is another key contact. In March 2020 José Cruz Campillo moved to Ulises Cabrera Abogados.
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Envirogold (Las Lagunas) Limited
JJ Roca & Asociados
JJ Roca & Asociados' litigation department provides 'a dedicated and effective service', and counts banking and commercial litigation as core areas of strength. Civil litigation and tax disputes are other areas of expertise for the team; the client base includes telecoms, real estate and financial services entities, among others. Jaime Roca and Felicia Santana, who is highly regarded for her litigation expertise, jointly head the practice; the duo attract praise for their 'high level of professionalism and ability to work as a team'.
‘They are dedicated to their work‘.
‘Jaime Roca and Felicia Santana stand out for their high level of professionalism and ability to work as a team, as well as their in-depth understanding of the laws‘.
‘A dedicated and effective service‘.
Banco Multiple Caribe Internacional
- Defended Banco Múltiple Caribe Internacional in complex financial litigation.
- Representing Las Américas International Airport in contractual litigation.
OMG handles a broad range of contentious matters for clients drawn from a wide spectrum of sectors; instructions from banking, energy, telecoms, construction, media, real estate and tourism companies have been especially prominent in the group's recent caseload. Natachú Domínguez, who is strong in civil and labour litigation, jointly leads the practice with Tristán Carbuccia, who counts international and domestic arbitration as key strengths. Founding partner Leonel Melo is a key name in this space.
Banco Dominicano del Progreso
Green Conversion Systems
Corporación Zona Franca Industrial de Santiago
- Acting for Biogen in a shareholders dispute.
- Defending healthcare company Baxter International against a claim brought against the client by a distributor regarding alleged breach of contract.
- Acting for Canadian construction company SNC-Lavalin in a labour litigation case.
Squire Patton Boggs
The 'balanced' team at Squire Patton Boggs is jointly led by Pedro Gamundi and Carolina Soto Hernández, who is well regarded for her expertise in cross-border arbitration and litigation. The group is singled out for its strong capabilities in commercial litigation, although the department is also adept at handling civil, labour and administrative litigation. Associate Sarah Roa is 'focused, persistent, and analytical'. Associate Francisco Batlle is also active in this sector.
‘They are persistent, persuasive, responsible and enthusiastic‘.
‘Their strengths are in commercial litigation‘.
‘A balanced team, which works together well‘.
‘Sarah Roa is focused, persistent, and analytical‘.
Diageo Dominicana, S. R. L.
Banesco Banco Multiple
Caterpillar Crédito S.A. de C.V.
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, Ltd.
Trojan Battery Company
Earthbound Holdings I, LLC.
Republic of Costa Rica
Empresa Pública de Hidrocarburos del Ecuador – EP Petroecuador
- Acting for Diageo Dominicana in international commercial litigation against its former re-seller.
- Representing Owens-Illinois in cross-border, multi-party commercial litigation.
Andrés Emilio Bobadilla Fernández leads the practice at Bobadilla Abogados, which counts administrative, constitutional and commercial litigation as core areas of instruction. Arbitration is also a key strength for the team. Also noted are María Del Mar Rodríguez, senior associate Ernesto Bournigal and associate Andrés Lopez.
DMK Abogados is noted for its capabilities in commercial litigation and international and domestic arbitration; recent mandates include contentious real estate, competition and tax cases. Practice head Nelson Jáquez has extensive experience in labour, civil and commercial litigation. Senior associate Samir Mateo Coradín is a key contact.
Los Corales Development
Senator Hotels & Resorts
Urbanizaciones e Inversiones
Jethro 59, LTD
Diesel Expert Quebec
Mercantil Farmacéutica, S.A.
- Defending Nokia against the tax authority regarding an alleged tax debt derived from transfer pricing.
- Representing Mercantil Farmacéutica in antitrust litigation.
Edward Salcedo leads the practice at ECIJA DVMS, which has a solid track record in sports litigation and arbitration, particularly cases involving baseball teams. The department is also recognised for its strength in acting for clients in the hospitality, real estate and construction sectors. Salcedo has notable expertise in private international law. Associates Arístides Victoria and Erika Gomez are noted; associate Aided Ceballo left the firm in 2019.
‘The team provides personalised attention‘.
‘Deep and extensive analysis‘.
St. Louis Cardinals
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Helidosa Aviation Group
Colport Development, Inc.
Oben Holding Group
San Diego Padres
Grupo Lácteo del Caribe Gruplac, S.A.S.
New York Mets
Oros Patrimonial Fund
- Defending the Houston Astros against a $5m damages claim brought against the client by a former player.
- Defending the St. Louis Cardinals against a damages and collection claim.
Guzmán & Molina, Abogados' 'responsible' team is led by 'experienced litigator' Lucas Guzmán López; he is acting for industrial company Polyplas Dominicana in long-running litigation following an explosion in its offices. Real estate, tourism, energy, pharmaceutical, sports, telecoms and banking have been particularly busy sectors for the practice. The firm also benefits from its membership of professional services network IR Global, which it joined in 2019.
‘A responsible team‘.
‘Lucas Guzmán López is very professional‘.
‘Lucas Guzmán López is an experienced litigator‘.
‘The partners give you confidence that they are making their best efforts to look after your interests‘.
Diesco Industries, Ltd.
Empresa Generadora de Electricidad Haina, S.A.
Cap Cana, S.A.
Centro de Otorrinolaringología y Especialidades, S.R.L.
Presentaciones & Eventos DG, S.R.L.
Latin Equipment Norte, S.A.
Capital DBG, S.R.L.
Grupo Dos, S.R.L.
Agapanthos Project Limited
Inversiones Zahena, S.A.
Condominio Plaza Castilla
- Representing a Venezuelan businessman in a $1.5m shareholders dispute.
- Representing Centro de Otorrinolaringología y Especialidades in a number of civil and labour claims brought against the client concerning alleged medical malpractice.
Praised for its 'dedication and commitment to clients', Martínez, Peña & Fernández's department provides an 'excellent service'. Banking litigation is a core strength of the team, which counts a number of significant financial institutions among its clients. Contractual disputes are another busy area of instruction. Abraham Fernández Arbaje and Richard Martínez Amparo, who has extensive expertise in banking disputes, lead the practice together with Luis Peña Jiménez, who counts administrative and constitutional litigation as key capabilities.
‘The team at Martínez, Peña & Fernández is characterised by its level of dedication and commitment to clients‘.
‘Excellent service, availability and efficiency‘.
‘Richard Martínez Amparo has care and agility‘.
‘Luis Peña Jiménez is very responsible‘.
‘They are very detailed oriented and have an in-depth knowledge of criminal and civil law‘.
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos (APAP), S.A.
Banco Múltiple BANESCO, S.A.
Banco Múltiple BHD-LEON, S.A.
Banco de Ahorro y Crédito Unión, S.A.
Grupo Ramos, S.A.
ESPN Sur/ DISNEY (LATAM)
FELTRIN SEMENTES, LTDA
Liquid Digital Agency, SRL
Industria CORE, S.A.
Consorcio Energético Punta Cana-Macao, S.A. (CEPM)
- Defended ESPN/Disney Latin America in a $1m contractual dispute against a local TV broadcast company.
- Acted for Grupo Ramos in a contractual dispute with a transport company.
Mazara Abogados stands out for its work in economic and financial criminal cases, with a notable track record in cases involving financial and tax fraud. The practice is jointly led by expert litigator Yurosky Mazara and department manager Lissette Tamárez, and is also adept at handling contentious mandates involving hydrocarbons, real estate and tourism companies. Arbitration is another area of instruction for the group. Senior associate Lesly Robles and associate Noé Abreu are also noted.
Brugal, S. A.
Cap Cana, S. A.
Seguros Sura, S. A.
La Colonial de Seguros, S. A.
Cámara de Comercio y Producción de Santo Domingo, Inc.
Asociación Nacional de Distribuidores de Gas, Inc.
Inversiones Relo, S. R. L.
Stella Oil and Trading Solutions, S. R. L.
Alba Gas, S. R. L.
Rojo Gas, S. R. L.
Corporación Eléctrica de Yuma, S. A.
Federación de Cámaras de Comercio
Amipharma Dominicana, S. R. L.
Offitek, S. R. L.
- Representing Banco Agrícola de la República Dominicana in a $250m dispute with Grupo Cisneros regarding a real estate project.
- Acting for plastic surgery company Cigmed in a number of criminal, fraud and civil claims.
Established in November 2018, Pellerano Nadal's dispute resolution team is adept in tax, customs, real estate and commercial litigation. Arbitration is another key strength for the department, which assists clients from the aviation, mining, retail and energy industries. Practice head Gustavo Mena is well regarded for his established capabilities in litigation, and is noted for advising on the environmental aspects of arbitration cases. Managing partner Luis Rafael Pellerano is well known for his strength in financing and M&A work; senior counsel Urania Paulino and senior associate Belkys Génesis Rodríguez are also key contacts.
Goldquest Mining Corporation
JetBlue Airways Corporation
Stoncor Group Inc.
Ferrari North America
Bank of America
Continental Negocios, S.A.
Procter & Gamble
Mitsubishi Electric US
Deloitte & Touche S.A.
- Representing the Unicomer Group in litigation against the Dominican Republic’s tax and customs authorities.
- Represented a prominent steel company in a dispute with the government of the Dominican Republic concerning a blockade placed on its exports into Haiti.
Counting contractual and tax disputes among its key areas of expertise, Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti's litigation practice is equipped to represent clients in the engineering, food, pharmaceutical, real estate and energy sectors in a broad range of contentious matters. Practice head Georges Santoni Recio is defending Bayer in an ongoing contractual dispute against agricultural company AgroAvance. Senior associate Manuel Conde Cabrera is the litigation department co-ordinator. José Maldonado Stark handles administrative and commercial litigation, while Luis Heredia Valenzuela stands out for his strength in insurance litigation. Associate Sekira Hernández Díaz is also noted.
Robert Bosch GmbH
Mead Johnson Nutrition, S.A.
Dominicana de Petróleo
Gulf Trading, LLC
- Acting for engineering company Bosch in a distribution claim dispute (under Law 173).
- Acting for Gulf Trading in a claim to recover a $1.45m debt.