Noted for its 'excellent analytical capacity' and 'first-rate services', Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández balances an active and broad dispute resolution practice, with expertise across a wide variety of cases, including civil, commercial, labour, administrative, constitutional, consumer, intellectual property, criminal and real estate disputes. The firm is known for defending clients before judicial, arbitral, administrative and constitutional courts including at the highest levels. Founding partner Francisco Álvarez is particularly active in cases involving banking and tax issues, where he is highly regarded. Julio Camejo, who also acts as arbitrator, is active in the energy, manufacturing and banking sectors, and Tomás Hernández is an expert in labour and employment litigation.
Dispute resolution in Dominican Republic
Francisco Alvarez; Julio Camejo
‘Quality of service and security that the issues will be addressed in depth. Highly committed to the client. You feel confident having Headrick as attorneys.’
‘Team with excellent analytical capacity, with knowledge of the norms, doctrine and jurisprudence in the matter that allows them to analyse and evaluate the cases that are presented to them, establishing the best strategy, in time.’
‘Mary Fernandez and Juan José Alvarez convey confidence given the expertise they possess. Their capacity for deep analysis of situations allows them to define a clear strategy and identify any unforeseen events.’
‘Accessibility of each of its members at all times. Effective response. Accurate and quality deliverables.’
‘The team has a high degree of specialisation and provides first-rate services at all times. Their attention is warm and responds effectively to customer needs. Their high knowledge of the matter in which they provide services and experience with large transnational companies in the region.’
‘They are undoubtedly a great ally for a business and add a lot of value to local operations. The team’s ability to adapt to new ways of working derived from the Covid-19 health contingency was excellent.’
Dominican Tax Agency
Grupo Punta Cana
Central Bank of Dominican Republic
Isla Dominicana De Petroleo Corporation
- Representing the Dominican Republic Tax Agency in a large tax fraud case filed against several companies of the Tremols Group, manufacturers of rum and other spirits in the Dominican Republic, for approx. $241m.
- Represented Isla Dominicana de Petróleo Corporation in arbitration concerning an alleged breach of contract and damages.
- Representing Banco Múltiple BHD León in several claims related to the failed acquisition and financing of the Silver Sun Gallery Hotel and Mall in Santo Domingo.
Medina Garrigó Abogados
Highly reputed boutique firm Medina Garrigó Abogados receives praise for its 'excellent quality services'. Founding partner and practice head Fabiola Medina is an experienced tax, administrative and civil litigator, and she is also active in arbitration proceedings. Her department additionally focuses on the areas of commercial litigation, competition law, public procurement, labour, constitutional and white-collar criminal law. On the pro bono side, the firm takes up cases and defends victims of harassment and other types of violence in the workplace. Administrative cases, regulation, antitrust and consumer protection matters are among associate Melissa Silié Ruiz's specialisms. Jesús Francos is also noted.
‘Teamwork and follow-up on cases. Excellent quality services with unbeatable value for money (they charge by the case, not by the hour). This firm is better than many others in the Dominican Republic, the attorneys are always available to clients. If they can’t take a call, they call you back as soon as possible.’
Compañía Dominicana de Teléfonos
Comisión Liquidadora Administrativa del Banco Intercontinental
García Tejera y Asociados
Banco Agrícola de la República Dominicana
- Represented MAPFRE-BHD in collecting a significant sum of money related to a recent catastrophe caused by one of the largest explosions that occurred in the country during recent years.
- Assisting Compañía Dominicana de Telefonos with a claim before the administrative courts to declare the nullity of the Telecommunications Institute of the Dominican Republic’s resolution, mandating a new organisation of the 3.5Mhz radio spectrum.
- Represented HES Group in diverse claims related to the acquisition of a shopping centre and the hotel Silver Sun Gallery.
The highly regarded disputes team at Pellerano & Herrera represents both plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving labour and shareholder disputes, product liability and consumer rights, as well as real estate, tax, IP, competition and white-collar criminal litigation. Vitelio Mejía Ortiz, who has longstanding experience in the aviation and sports sectors, and Lucy Objío, who stands out for assisting clients in the maritime industry and with commercial arbitration, co-head the practice. Foreign investors and multinational companies are the group's most frequent clients, and the firm also distinguishes itself through its regular involvement in pro bono matters, where it has experience acting for high-profile individuals. Felix Fernandez is now with DMK Abogados. Yolemny Cruz is also noted.
Vitelio Mejía Ortiz; Lucy Objío
‘The Pellerano & Herrera team is very technical and focused on customer needs. They present specific and objective legal solutions. Furthermore, the availability and involvement of the team is incomparable and unique.’
‘Yolemny Cruz is very attentive to the client’s needs and her proactivity stands out. Furthermore, the legal solutions presented by her are innovative and connected with the general interests of the client.’
‘The jurisdiction of the Dominican Republic is not simple, however the support received by Pellerano & Herrera, in addition to being very exact and based on knowledge of the matter, is fast and always to the benefit of the client.’
‘Lucy Objío promptly addresses the issues and issues the appropriate recommendations. Her level of contact, communication and follow-up with the client is high and she always keeps the client informed.’
Bayer Costa Rica
Amhsa Marina Hotels & Resorts
Jet Blue Airways Corporation
- Providing pro bono advice to David Ortiz as victim in a criminal claim process, with considerable media coverage locally and internationally.
- Providing legal advice to Japanese company Sanrio which designs, licenses and produces products focusing on the kawaii (cute) segment of Japanese popular culture, in actions to combat the importation of counterfeit goods to the Dominican Republic.
- Representing the defendant Seguros Universal in a 10-year lawsuit concerning an insurance policy claim by Industrias Zanzibar, a glass producer, as a result of an accident in the plant.
Pereyra & Asociados' comprehensive dispute resolution offering particularly stands out in cases involving breaches of contract, damages, liability and tort, as well as criminal, family, labour, commercial, administrative and constitutional litigation. The team also showcases particular expertise in matters regarding the alleged violation of real estate ownership rights, a specialism held by both key figures Luis Miguel Pereyra, who heads up the practice, and Gregorio García. Both lawyers are highly appreciated as civil and commercial litigators, as well as arbitrators.
Luis Miguel Pereyra
‘Great capacity and expertise. Capacity and professionalism.’
Aeropuerto Internacional de Bavaro
Esso Standard Oil
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Ecolab – Microtek
Haina International Terminals
Consorcio Energético Punta Cana Macao
Playa Grande Holdings
Napco Securities Group
Sanofi – Aventis
Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Providing legal advice to Bavaro International Airport Corporation concerning the development of an international airport in the area of Bavaro/Punta Cana, in which the Eastern Airport Corporation has filed an opposition to the authorisation.
- Representing the Superintendency of Banks of the Dominican Republic in a case against private persons involving alleged violations of monetary and financial law, fraudulent bankruptcy, falsification of public documents and other matters.
- Defending Eaton Corporation in a breach of contract lawsuit.
'Efficient, attentive and knowledgeable', Biaggi Abogados is highly specialised in labour disputes, which increased for the firm between 2020 and 2021, corruption and white-collar criminal law matters, and real estate litigation. An increasing number of private clients are also represented by the team. Medical malpractice litigation is another area of interest for the firm, especially for co-head Wanda Perdomo, whose core area of practice is arbitration. Co-head Gustavo Biaggi is also highly regarded; he is predominantly active in white-collar criminal, civil and tax disputes, as well as administrative disputes and alternative dispute resolution. Heidy Guerrero and Nelys Rivas are additional names to note.
Gustavo Biaggi; Wanda Perdomo
‘This firm is very professional and with great competence, from its main partner to its associates, who demonstrate great commitment in solving the issues raised.’
‘The conflict resolution team is efficient, attentive and knowledgeable about processes. It has always been their custom to keep the client updated regarding the events that occurred in case. Biaggi has shown superior attention. At Biaggi they are attentive and knowledgeable about the matter in question. In terms of billing, Biaggi is fair in terms of price.’
‘Biaggi is trustworthy, professional and very hands on. Their expertise is respected and highly regarded. Gustavo Biaggi and Wanda Perdomo deliver results. Both Gustavo and Wanda as well as the rest of their team have been stand-out lawyers in every way.’
‘A professional and complete team where several lawyers cover various areas. They are always aware and updated on the issues. They are very diverse and practically handle all needs, from consultations to lawsuits and litigation.’
‘Professionalism and integrity. Gustavo Biaggi commands respect when he enters the room. He has gravitas. Knowledge, and experience blended with a disarming charm.’
‘Edward Piña is outstanding. Very focused and thorough.’
JMMB Fondo de Inversión Cerrado Inmobiliario
Puerto Plata de Electricidad
Club Atlético Licey
Bretagne Holding Limited
Little Caesars Pizza
- Representing JMMB Fondo de Inversión Cerrado Inmobiliario in real estate and civil matters regarding a nullity of a sales contract and a lease termination.
- Representing Puerto Plata de Electricidad in an administrative dispute with the regulator concerning its acquired rights as concessionaire, and also representing the client in an administrative dispute regarding its tax exemption status.
- Representing real estate company Bretagne Holding Limited in complex real estate litigation affecting a large extension of land in a touristic area of the country.
Castillo y Castillo
Senior associate José Manuel Batlle acts as Castillo y Castillo's head of litigation, alternative dispute resolution and labour departments. He and his team mainly represent local and international companies in civil, commercial, labour and foreclosure cases, while also acting in domestic and international arbitration proceedings. Senior associate Flavia Báez is specialised in real estate and finance-related litigation, with an emphasis on recovery actions and foreclosures in relation to mortgage defaults. Senior associate Juan Acosta and associate Camilo Caraballo are also standout members of the team.
José Manuel Batlle
Banco Popular Dominicano
Seadom and Seabord Marine
Gulfstream Petroleum Dominicana
Grupo San Juan
- Representing several companies and executives from Grupo Piñero in the defence of an appeal filed by the relatives of six tourists who died in a plane accident during an excursion.
- Representing the defendants, including a trust company, in an appeal filed by individuals against a decision that acknowledged the lack of jurisdiction of the Dominican Courts to decide a lawsuit seeking the annulment of company.
- Represented Banco Popular Dominicano in multiple seizures and foreclosures on properties around the country for unpaid loans.
DMK Abogados represents international and local clients operating across various sectors, including tourism, pharmaceuticals, energy and real estate. Recently, the firm expanded its litigation focus significantly through the hire of Felix Fernandez, who joined in June 2021 from Pellerano & Herrera and has a niche specialism in cybercrime litigation, and Iván García Elsevyf, who re-joined the firm and has over 15 years of experience focusing on civil, commercial, labour and real estate litigation. Nelson Jáquez, who leads the department alongside García, stood out in 2020 for acting in a public-private conflict in the airports sector in connection to the construction project of the Bavaro International Airport and a series of alleged irregularities and defects in the approval and compliance processes. Labour and administrative litigation is another strength for the firm.
Nelson Jáquez; Iván García Elsevyf
Corporación Aeroportuaria del Este
Los Corales Development
Senator Hotels & Resorts
Urbanizaciones e Inversiones
Diesel Expert Quebec
- Representing Corporacion Aeroportuaria del Este in an administrative appeal against the construction of the Bavaro International Airport, alleging a series of irregularities and defects in the approval process and non-compliance with legal requirements.
- Successfully represented a multinational pharmaceutical company whose operations were blocked in 2016 by the Ministry of Public Health, preventing it from continuing to sell its products under the High-Cost Medications and Medical Assistance Programme.
- Represented a multinational corporation before the Dominican courts in a criminal case initiated for robbery at its plant in the Dominican Republic.
Guzmán Ariza has a well-established litigation and arbitration practice. The department is under the leadership of the highly regarded Fabio Guzmán Ariza, who focuses his practice on civil procedure, labour, medical malpractice litigation and arbitration, while his team is particularly noted for handling numerous bankruptcy and restructuring procedures involving trusts, and for its expertise in white-collar criminal law. Rhadaisis Espinal is an expert in civil and commercial litigation, and Julio Brea Guzmán additionally covers administrative, real estate and condominium-related litigation. Alberto Reyes Báez acts for both corporate and individual clients in a broad range of business disputes.
Fabio Guzmán Ariza
‘Guzman Ariza has offices in the most important cities, tourist destinations and real estate development geographical areas in the Dominican Republic managed by partners. As a result, their expertise is not only national but local, giving Guzman Ariza the competitive advantage of local knowledge as well as the ability to learn and quickly react to events and information important to its client’s cases. This capability is especially critical in Dominican Republic as it pertains to legal and corporate matters related to real estate transactions and tourism.’
‘Fabio Guzman Ariza has years of experience, respectability and professionalism and is straightforward. He is very personable and approachable and an outstanding human being.’
‘Rhadaisis Espinal: her legal knowledge and expertise, and experience places her at the top in her area of legal practice.’
‘Fabio Guzman Salazar has legal knowledge and expertise, business acumen, integrity, honesty and approachability.’
‘You can count on the fact that any of their lawyers are capable of advising you on all the issues you handle with them. Their strengths include teamwork, their quick response to requests made by the client, their ability to put themselves in the client’s shoes and empathise with them, their good reputation, the seriousness with which they handle cases. In short, a firm that supports and sustains the customer at all times.’
‘Julio Brea stands out. He combines the qualities of a great manager, such as his deep professional knowledge of the areas he handles, and his personable character, which makes him a unique advisor in his area.’
‘Elvis Roque has vast experience and knowledge in the litigation area and brings a unique and highly valued approach.’
JJH Capital Inversiones Extranjeras
Wells Fargo Bank
Sunwing Travel Group
Meliá Hotels International
Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Consorcio de Construcciones Planificadas
Dominican Government (Bahía de las Aguilas)
- Assisting Pawa Dominicana in its bankruptcy.
- Successfully defended the hotel Club Méditerranée against a $6m lawsuit filed by a cigar producing company for an alleged illegal eviction from premises in the resort.
- Representing JJH Capital Inversiones Extranjeras in a land use lawsuit.
Jiménez Peña's dispute resolution team is well known for its international arbitration practice, which is a notable strength for the firm. A particularly outstanding area is investment treaty arbitration, especially relating to the energy, infrastructure, mining and hospitality sectors, among others. The team, which represents both foreign investors and the Dominican Republic, also has a strong track record in obtaining recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral awards in the Dominican courts. Litigation is carried out both in commercial and civil disputes, as well as before specialised administrative, labour, real estate, criminal, appellate and constitutional courts. Rosa Díaz and Marcos Peña jointly lead the department.
Marcos Peña; Rosa Díaz
‘Knowledge of the subject.’
‘Marcos Peña stands out for his excellent connections.’
ADM Latin America
AIC International Investments Limited
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Washington Nationals Baseball Club
- Represented AIC International Investments in multiple foreclosure procedures for approximately 126 properties, pursuing the collection of over $64m against over 40 defendants.
- Defended Alstom Group in the courts against a claim and allegations of breach of contract – successfully arguing the lack of application of Law 173 and the applicability of an arbitration clause.
- Representing Celuisma and challenged an award before the Court of Appeals following two conflicting arbitral awards.
JJ Roca & Asociados
Highlighted for its 'effective solutions' and 'mastery of the areas', JJ Roca & Asociados fields a recognised team of litigators, which particularly stands out in cases involving bank fraud, commercial litigation amongst shareholders and corporate directors, torts and international IP (acting especially on the side of trade mark owners), as well as real estate, asset recovery and enforcement procedures. Practice heads Jaime Roca and Felicia Santana often jointly lead on matters, and both have extensive experience in commercial, criminal, banking and labour law. Santana also stands out for her expertise in the restructuring and liquidation of companies.
Jaime Roca; Felicia Santana
‘Spectacular treatment; they are so integrated with the client and with the situation that they become undisputed allies.’
‘Fully-fledged professionals. They show mastery of the areas, their applied experience provides innumerable direct and indirect solutions.’
‘Effective dedication – a product of professionalism, commitment, the empathy they have with their clients.’
‘Extremely satisfactory service from Jaime Roca as well as Felicia Santana. They lead a very professional team that guarantees to solve clients’ situations.’
‘What makes this firm unique is the familiarity and closeness with which they provide their service. The treatment given by their lawyers is so warm that they foster friendly relationships over time, over and above the commercial relationship.’
‘Felicia Santana is an experienced lawyer with a delicate treatment of clients. Felicia is a great litigator.’
‘True professionals, dedicated, committed, who dominate their areas and, as a consequence, they are a firm that provides effective solutions.’
‘Jaime Roca, as a leader, takes great care of the quality of the service and keeps abreast of our needs during the service process. His point of view is always enriching and provides a very complete vision that encompasses all aspects of the problem. He always offers accurate and cost-effective solutions.’
Scotiabank Republica Dominicana, Banco Múltiple
Ascendancy Caribbean I
Kaeser Compresores República Dominicana
Aeropuerto Internacional José Francisco Peña Gómez
Banco Múltiple Caribe Internacional
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana
Red Dot Tech
Communicate To Connect
- Defended Banco Scotiabank Dominican Republic against a major labour lawsuit.
- Represented the interests of the Investco Partner company in a transaction that ended litigation ongoing for more than 10 years.
- Filed legal actions in favour of Cartones del Caribe, a pioneer company in corrugated cardboard, to avoid cutting off the electricity service to keep its operations up and running, due to non-payment.
At OMG, associates Tristán Carbuccia and Natachú Domínguez are in charge of the firm's conflict management department. Carbuccia specialises in foreclosure and collection proceedings, alternative dispute resolution, criminal, administrative and constitutional law, and Domínguez focuses on labour and civil litigation. Both lawyers are also active as arbitrators and are members of the list of arbitrators of the Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution of the Chamber of Commerce of Santo Domingo. Corporate law expert Esperanza Cabral also leads on many significant cases.
Tristán Carbuccia; Natachú Domínguez
‘The litigation team is very well-prepared and has vast experience in different areas of law. They constantly follow up on cases and keep the client updated on the development of the process, at all times.’
‘The litigation team is one of the best in the country. The lawyers have an excellent command of the assigned subjects. They are responsible, they strive to obtain a positive result for the client, even in the most adverse cases. Among the most outstanding lawyers we mention Natachú Dominguez and Luis Eduardo Aquino.’
Banco Dominicano del Progreso
Green Conversion Systems
Corporación Zona Franca Industrial de Santiago
- Representing Biogen in a dispute between major shareholders who are debating over control.
- Represented 4finance in several legal actions against the National Institute for the Protection of Consumer Rights to annul the imposition of a fine, and recently obtained a favourable decision.
- Representing the Bank of Novia Scotia in multiple contractual conflicts with third parties, and in claims initiated by customers and third parties that argue wrongful publication of its credit information.
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti has a broad litigation practice, and acts for clients in contractual disputes, notably those involving distribution issues in the Dominican Republic, fraud, tax, IP, labour and family law matters, among other areas. Life sciences, aviation, energy, real estate and telecoms are sectors in which the team is particularly active. Department head Georges Santoni Recio's practice focuses on civil and commercial litigation and insurance disputes, and he is also active in alternative dispute resolution and arbitration. The firm is a member of Meritas, a global alliance of independent business law firms. Rosa Campillo Celado and Luis Heredia Valenzuela are other key contacts.
Georges Santoni Recio
‘I would highlight the seriousness, experience, security, knowledge of the market and its players.’
Mead Johnson Nutrition
Dominicana de Petróleo
Recio & Co.
New High Glass
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
Arthur Jones & Compartes
- Acting for Robert Bosch in defending a claim for a termination of agreement and damages.
- Representing Bayer in relation to proceedings filed by Agroavance alleging that Bayer’s termination of a non-exclusive distribution agreement has caused damage to Agroavance.
- Defending Mead Johnson Nutrition in a case concerning the alleged unauthorised use of an image.
Squire Patton Boggs
The Dominican Republic office of Squire Patton Boggs has a strategic advantage in the management of international disputes thanks to its access to a large internal network of lawyers, who are admitted in major jurisdictions around the world. Accordingly, the Santo Domingo group is especially dedicated to international arbitration and investment disputes, and often assists foreign corporations obtaining the recognition of foreign judgments and arbitral awards before Dominican courts. Carolina Soto Hernández focuses on international private law, conflicts of jurisdiction and applicable law, and Pedro Gamundi assists clients in cross-border labour, reorganisation and insolvency matters. Associates Sarah Roa and Francisco Batlle are also noted.
Carolina Soto Hernández; Pedro Gamundi
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
Republic Bank (Trinidad & Tobago)
Earthbound Holdings I
Republic of Costa Rica
Empresa Pública de Hidrocarburos del Ecuador
Republic of Ecuador
- Represented Owens-Illinois in ongoing complex litigation related to joint venture, share purchase and technical assistance agreements related to glass manufacturing, and in the enforcement of a $90m insurance policy claim.
- Represented Diageo Dominicana in a complex commercial international claim filed by its former local re-seller, filed against Diageo Dominicana and its current re-seller, in Miami, Florida and the Dominican Republic.
- Representing the Republic of Ecuador in an investment arbitration claim brought by a US entity, WorleyParsons International, under the Ecuador-United States Bilateral Investment Treaty.
ECIJA DVMS has a particularly good recognition in the sports and baseball industries, areas in which practice head Edward Salcedo excels. He is well known for acting as main litigation counsel for several Major League Baseball clubs, and is also often involved in cases regarding foreclosure proceedings, liquidations, arbitration and private international law matters. Associate litigators Erika Gomez and Arístides Victoria stand out for representing clients in matters involving employment, real estate, public policy, data protection and intellectual property matters.
‘Intelligent, dynamic and diligent team.’
‘Edward Salcedo is always available to provide practical, efficient and realistic solutions.’
St. Louis Cardinals
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Helidosa Aviation Group
Oben Holding Group
San Diego Padres
Grupo Lácteo del Caribe Gruplac
New York Mets
K & B Family Office
Midland Trust Company
- Assisting Houston Astros with a $5m sports arbitration filed by a former player before the Centre for the Resolution of Disputes of Santo Domingo.
- Acting for the restructuring court as judicial liquidator on the first judicial liquidation case before the new specialised court for restructuring and liquidation proceedings under recently enacted restructuring legislation.
- Represented a private client in a $10m damages claim.
Guzmán & Molina, Abogados
In addition to corporate law, litigation is a core area of focus at Guzmán & Molina, Abogados. Its service offering includes conflict management and dispute resolution both in private and public law, the main areas of activity including commercial and corporate conflicts, tort claims, foreclosures and bankruptcy. In addition, the team is equipped to assist in tax, administrative, criminal, labour and real estate matters. Firm co-founder and disputes practice head Lucas Guzmán is an arbitration expert, and his group is a partner in the firm network IR Global in connection to commercial arbitration.
‘A multidisciplinary team that can address highly complex issues without requiring extensive feedback or incurring additional costs in going to other advisers.’
‘A highly prepared team that cares about knowing the client’s needs in detail and explaining the points of the process, in addition to how this could affect in the long term. It provides personalised treatment to each of its clients and involves them in every stage of the process. The plus that makes the firm’s lawyers stand out is the close relationship they maintain with their clients without compromising professional treatment.’
‘Lucas Guzmán excels in his ability to quickly and accurately analyse situations where the client requires a legal opinion against the clock.’
‘Paola Molina excels in her extensive coverage and management of various legal branches and in-depth knowledge of the legal framework of companies in the Dominican Republic.’
‘Customer service is exceptional, the follow-up of the cases, the communication is excellent!’
‘A young firm but with a lot of experience in cases and high-profile clients. Its main strength is its attention to detail. Despite its youth, this firm has nothing to envy any traditional law firm.’
‘Lucas Guzmán is a phenomenon of Dominican law. He combines his intense professional practice with extensive academic experience as a teacher, speaker, writer and investigator. Carlos Camejo is a fledgling star. In the not too distant future he will be on the front pages of the main litigation matters in the country.’
‘What distinguishes this office from others is the follow-up and timely communication regarding the status of the files.’
Empresa Generadora de Electricidad Haina
Centro de Otorrinolaringología y Especialidades
Condominio Plaza Castilla
Sociedad de Empresas de Combustibles y Derivados
Solaya Hotels & Resorts
- Represented Cap Cana in the judicial phase of a $3m dispute to annul an arbitration award, as well as in a bankruptcy intent submitted by a creditor, among other matters.
- Represented Solaya Hotels & Resorts in litigation against Scotiabank concerning the termination of an American Express credit card services contract.
- Represented Polyplas Dominicana to obtain dismissal of four tort claims for an explosion that occurred in December 2018.
With litigation as its main focus, Martínez, Peña & Fernández is well known for representing clients in tort, banking, contract, constitutional and administrative cases, and is praised for its 'global vision'. The group advises several banks and international corporations, as well as government and local state clients. The team is co-led by Richard Martínez Amparo, whose main areas include civil, tort, banking and contract law litigation; Abraham Fernández Arbaje, who stands out for his corporate, regulatory, real state and criminal law practice; and Luis Peña Jiménez, who covers administrative, political and constitutional law disputes.
Richard Martínez Amparo; Abraham Fernández Arbaje; Luis Peña Jiménez
‘They are capable, intelligent, competent, agile, efficient and committed.’
‘A group of professionals with a global vision. They have the advantage of translating the political and legal dynamics of the Dominican Republic into understandable language.’
‘Abraham Fernandez: high availability at any day and time; focus on finding the best customer solution; quality of the analysis and reports.’
‘Luis Peña is spectacular when handling matters of public contracting, also beyond the national legislation. Abraham Fernández is a dedicated professional, with immediate responses and direct, high-quality service.’
‘Richard Martínez has an extraordinary capacity for negotiation, intelligent and ability in civil, commercial and administrative procedures.’
‘Abraham Fernández is very intelligent with a remarkable capacity and ability in civil, land, commercial and administrative procedures.’
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Banco Múltiple Banesco
Banco de Ahorro y Crédito Unión
Banco Múltiple BHD-Leon
Liquid Digital Agency
Grupo Constructora Pérez Domínguez
Grupo Empresarial Max
Consorcio Energético Punta Cana-Macao
Germaine de Capuccini
Gold Coast IT Solutions
- Represented ESPN/Disney/Fox Latin America in a collection and breach of contract procedure against a local TV broadcast company.
- Represented Brazil-based company Feltrin Sementes on a multi-case collection and contract termination procedure against a former exclusive and authorised distributor.
- Represented Grupo Ramos in several criminal cases ranging from unlawful embargo, forgery of documents to fraud filed against suppliers and creditors.
Pellerano Nadal has extensive dispute resolution expertise, and 'maintains highly agile and easy-to-use communication channels'. The department is led jointly by Gustavo Mena and Luis Pellerano and provides a full-service offering, including civil, commercial and criminal litigation as well as assistance with debt recovery and bankruptcy matters. Pellerano is known for covering tax disputes, terminations of agreements, and labour matters, among others. Mena focuses on securities, IP and commercial litigation, and is also an expert environmental law specialist and arbitrator. Belkys Génesis Rodríguez and Urania Paulino are also noted.
Gustavo Mena; Luis Pellerano
‘They always prioritise the best interests of the client in the face of litigation and disputes, seeking at all times to minimise costs and seek high-impact solutions in reasonable times.’
‘The deep experience of Luis Rafael Pellerano, Gustavo Mena and Génesis Rodriguez in handling disputes allows for the most effective ways to resolve disputes, always avoiding entering into long-term processes and high costs.’
‘The Pellerano Nadal firm maintains highly agile and easy-to-use communication channels, specially adapted to face the reality required by the pandemic situation.’
Goldquest Mining Corporation
JetBlue Airways Corporation
DRE Repair Services
Procter & Gamble
Compañía de Energía de San Pedro de Macorís
- Advising JetBlue for more than ten years since the beginning of its operations in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisted Unicomer Group in relation to a dispute with the Tax Administration and the National Directorate of Customs claiming the improper seizure for an alleged tax debt.
- Represented Kinnox in the process of negotiating with the government to lift a blockade of its exports into Haiti.
De Camps, Vásquez & Valera
De Camps, Vásquez & Valera stands out for its considerable experience in real estate-related litigation, and is also well versed in cases involving public procurement, tax, labour and constitutional law. Diana De Camps Contreras can regularly be found taking a lead role in the firm's key cases; she leads the department alongside Amauris Vásquez Disla, who specialises in the financial services, energy and infrastructure sectors.
Diana De Camps Contreras; Amauris Vásquez Disla
‘I’d highlight the personalised service from the team; analysis of the pros and cons of proceeding or not; risk analysis; understanding what is important to the client.‘
‘Diana De Camps Contreras is very proactive.’
Inversiones La Querencia
Potentia Renewable Energy
Mones Packaging Solutions
Sargeant Marine Patroleum
Partido Revolucionario Social Demócrata (PRSD)
Ciriaco Valera Objío
Asociación de Bancos Comerciales
Consejo Nacional de la Magistratura
- Acted for Inversiones La Querencia in numerous real estate-related disputes.
- Represented Partido Revolucionario Social Demócrata (PRSD) in an administrative complaint seeking the annulment of a constitutional independent agency action before the Administrative Superior Court.
- Acted for Bradeira Holdings in a tax dispute before the Supreme Court.
Mazara Abogados specialises in economic and financial crimes, especially in the fields of corruption, tax and financial fraud. Administrative litigation is another key area, with a particular emphasis placed on energy matters, often in relation to hydrocarbons. Team head and managing partner Yurosky Mazara is known for representing clients in the insurance and gas markets.
Yurosky Mazara; Lissette Tamarez Bruno
‘This firm exhibits a level of involvement and preparation that leaves nothing to chance and therefore the results of the cases are always successful.’
‘Preparation, qualification, professionalism, tireless work and closeness.’
‘It is a technically very competent and responsible team. They are entirely reliable in meeting deadlines and service commitments. I respect very much the integrity with which they defend cases, always very interested in developing the most convenient strategies for the client.’
‘I have worked mainly with Yurosky Mazara and with Chery Zacarías. They are excellent lawyers. Yurosky is one of the most skilled young litigators I know. He is studious, a good speaker of his oral and written allegations, organised and responsible. Chery is an excellent investigator, extremely trustworthy. When she is given a task she does not stop until it is completed.‘
Seguros La Colonial
Asociación Nacional de Distribuidores de Gas
Brugal & Co
Cámara de Comercio y Producción de Santo Domingo
- Represented an individual and the companies of Group Metro in one of the most emblematic cases of alleged tax fraud in the country.
- Represented Sinercon and its shareholders in lawsuit for an alleged violation of Law 396-19.
- Successfully represented New Asia Novelty in a fraud case.
Ulises Cabrera Abogados' dispute resolution department often acts in cases involving forced evictions, licensing contracts and contractual civil liability, as well as in judicial processes deriving from the application of sanctions resulting from financial crimes and traffic accidents. The team, which includes Ulises Cabrera and José Cruz Campillo, who joined from Jiménez Peña in March 2020, also has experience in representing domestic shipping companies and foreign insurers in civil liability and damages claims arising from maritime transport activities. Senior associate Iónides De Moya heads the department.
Iónides De Moya
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Asociación Dominicana de Rehabilitación
Premier Destination Service
- Assisted Comercial San Esteban in a case before the Supreme Court in connection to a dispute over a fuel transportation agreement with Esso Standard Oil.
- Representing Texquim in filing a lawsuit against Textiles Astur.
- Representing Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos in a complaint against an individual for falsifying documents to the detriment of APAP’s clients.