Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández's experience in both domestic and cross-border transactions is reflected in an impressive client roster of large local and multinational companies. The team is skilled in M&A, corporate reorganisations, foreign investments and the creation of joint ventures, as well as advising on day-to-day corporate issues and regulatory and compliance matters, with a recent focus on e-commerce and data protection. At the head of the sizeable team, Jaime Senior is highly regarded for his expertise in transactions in the energy sector, and Sarah De León has a broad practice spanning M&A, contracts and distribution agreements, joint ventures and foreign investments. Eileen Jiménez, who stands out for her advice on M&A and distributorship agreements, Mary Fernández and newly promoted partners Fernando Marranzini and Carolina Silié are also key contacts.
Corporate and M&A in Dominican Republic
Sarah De León; Jaime Senior
‘They stand out both for their knowledge of the business environment and the clients’ needs. This allows them to respond by going the extra mile and exceeding client expectations. The quality of HRAF is at an international level – I work with firms on several continents and HRAF is at the level of the very best.’
‘The best thing about the firm is the service and attention to what the client needs. There will always be risks but the team are always looking for alternatives to mitigate them, and naturally the experience they have gives us peace of mind that they will think of solutions. Fernando Marranzini and Jaime Senior are the partners in charge of our account and they are absolutely wonderful.’
‘It is a firm that provides a high level of service and specialised technical knowledge. What makes the team special is that it combines technical knowledge of the law with knowledge of the policies, values and processes of our company, and deals with matters in a practical and urgent manner.’
‘The plus that makes the firm stand out, in my opinion, is undoubtedly its diversity and the new generation of highly qualified lawyers, who have been guided by the experience and knowledge of the firm’s experienced members. Both complement each other: some provide a new vision and approach supported by the use of technology and others the wisdom and knowledge that is undoubtedly obtained through experience. Among the partners, it is worth highlighting the work of Mary Fernández.’
‘HRAF is a multidisciplinary firm that always successfully assists us when required. I would like to highlight the team’s promptness, availability and 24/7 client service; they have the flexibility to support us with the speed we require. The team demonstrates a personal touch from contact calls to billing. I feel that the costs are appropriate, not excessive, and correspond to a business relationship of mutual support. I am always satisfied with their services.’
‘Jaime Senior, Eileen Jiménez and their team are excellent lawyers who are professional, focused and always support me to come up with the best strategy to protect the company.’
‘The team builds close relationships with clients and provides excellent quality deliverables. They follow up on issues with their clients, which I think is a strong point. Additionally, when required, the partner responsible for the account has always been directly available. The firm has a very good international reputation.’
‘Mary Fernández and Carolina Silié stand out for their immediate availability, close relationships with clients and follow-up on important matters.’
Advanced Asset Management
Tabacalera de García
Isla Dominicana de Petroleo
- Advised Advanced Asset Management, as manager of investment fund Fondo Cerrado de Desarrollo de Sociedades Advanced Oportunidades de Inversión, in the execution of its roll-up strategy with respect to companies in the industrial bakery and bread manufacturing market of the Dominican Republic.
- Advised Isla Dominicana de Petróleo Corporation in connection with its partnership with Sol Investments, a subsidiary of Parkland Corporation, in order to create the Dominican Republic’s largest network of gas stations.
- Advised STOA on the minority acquisition of Los Guzmancito wind farm on the north coast of the Dominican Republic.
OMG advises a wide range of domestic and international clients on M&A, the structuring of foreign direct investments and the establishment of free trade zones, as well as commercial and regulatory matters including distribution and sales agreements and import and export issues. The firm also draws on a number of international affiliations, as part of the Legus network and the Eversheds Sutherland Latin America Alliance, to provide multi-jurisdictional services. The practice is led by firm president Leonel Melo, legal strategy co-ordinator Esperanza Cabral, who stands out for her expertise in M&A and restructurings, Johanna Soto, who advises on M&A, restructurings, foreign investments and estate planning, commercial department head Laura Piantini and senior director Gloria Gassó, who focuses on cross-border corporate transactions, including M&A and joint ventures. The practice was bolstered in August 2021 with the addition of senior consultant Melissa Valdez from Squire Patton Boggs.
Leonel Melo; Esperanza Cabral; Johanna Soto; Laura Piantini; Gloria Gassó
‘The team’s capability, experience and command of corporate and M&A matters is outstanding. When working with OMG you always have confidence that you’re in the best of hands. OMG’s team is made up of very skilled and talented individuals – they are forward-thinkers, business oriented and strategically focused.’
‘Laura Piantini is extremely competent, sharp and dependable. Her vast experience makes her a great asset.’
‘Melissa Valdez is a very knowledgeable, diligent and detail-oriented lawyer.’
‘Leonel Melo is a brilliant strategist and a superb adviser when dealing with complex matters.’
‘Esperanza Cabral is a top-notch attorney and a veteran in the field. I especially value her calm approach.’
San Pedro Bio-Energy
Bolsa de Valores de la República Dominicana
CAF Asset Management
Meliá Hotels International
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
- Advised Finerty Properties on the transfer of 70% of its shares of common stock within the paid-in capital of V Energy to Total Dominicana.
- Advised the IFC on the exercise of its put option right to a portion of existing IFC shares in Centro Financiero BHD León in favour of Grupo Financiero León.
- Advised Ascend Fund on the restructuring of Lagarde, a local distributor of meat and other foods.
Pellerano & Herrera stands out for its strength in advising international clients, acting for a wide-ranging roster of multinational companies from the technology, pharmaceuticals, telecoms and fashion sectors, among others. The team has particular expertise in assisting multinational companies with entering the Dominican market, as well as advising on foreign investments, local and cross-border M&A, and corporate restructurings. In addition, the firm entered a collaboration agreement with global firm Andersen Legal in August 2021, expanding its international reach. The practice is led by managing partner Ricardo Pellerano, who is experienced in high-profile transactions in the banking, real estate and tourism sectors in particular, and Alessandra Di Carlo, who is noted for her expertise in cross-border deals. Carolina Leon is also recommended for her advice to international clients on M&A and foreign investments.
Ricardo Pellerano; Alessandra Di Carlo
‘Alessandra Di Carlo makes time for the client and makes provision for fee negotiations.’
Smurfit Kappa Republica Dominicana
Avance Capital Dominicana
Dolce & Gabbana
Davis & Geck
Procter & Gamble International Operations
- Advised French technology group Gfi on the cross-border acquisition of 100% of the shares of El Corte Ingles’s IT subsidiary, IECISA.
- Acted as lead counsel to Avance Capital Dominicana (a subsidiary of Grupo Popular) on its expansion into Colombia, Panama and Guatemala.
- Assisted Dolce & Gabbana with the formal establishment of its operations in the Dominican Republic, including the opening of a store in a high-end shopping mall in Santo Domingo.
Squire Patton Boggs
Thanks to its extensive international presence, Squire Patton Boggs is highly experienced in advising local and multinational clients on cross-border transactions. The broad corporate practice ranges from joint ventures and foreign investments to M&A and corporate finance, and the team also assists with commercial and regulatory issues including agency and distribution contracts and data privacy. The experienced trio of office managing partner Alejandro Peña-Prieto, Awilda Alcántara-Bourdier and Pedro Gamundi lead the practice. Pena-Prieto heads the firm’s Latin America practice group and focuses on advising foreign investors with business interests in the Dominican Republic. Alcántara-Bourdier handles M&A and investments in the electric, financial services, manufacturing and construction sectors in particular, and Gamundi has significant expertise in cross-border transactions. Rhina Martínez Brea is also noted for her advice on joint ventures, shareholders’ agreements and stock purchases.
Alejandro Peña-Prieto; Awilda Alcántara-Bourdier; Pedro Gamundi
‘They stand out for their in-depth knowledge of all issues, excellent attention to detail, and great diligence in dealing with and solving problems.’
‘The lawyers with whom I had contact always showed an excellent command of all aspects of the matter, great empathy and a genuine interest in helping us as clients. They were always very transparent and direct in their communication, which allowed for a clearer understanding of the issues on our part.’
Goldman Sachs Specialty Lending Group
Vivial Media Holding/Vivial Dominicana
Diageo Latin America/Diageo Dominicana
Medtronic/Medtronic (Dominican Republic)
Caterpillar Financial Services, Caterpillar Crédito
- Advised Martí on the negotiation and execution of a strategic alliance between two current market leaders in the energy and fossil fuel distribution sectors of the Dominican Republic.
- Advised AraJet (previously Dominican Wings) on the restructuring of capital investments and the incorporation of a corporate vehicle in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised Vivial Media Holding on the review of documents relating to its merger agreement with Thrive (a global tech company) due to the implications of the merger with respect to Vivial’s local subsidiary.
Guzmán Ariza advises on corporate transactions across a wide range of sectors, including real estate and tourism (drawing on firm-wide expertise in these fields), construction, media and entertainment, and food and beverages. The team handles foreign investments and M&A, and has particular strength in assisting clients with cross-border restructurings. Fabio Guzmán Saladín, who has longstanding experience in M&A, restructurings and day-to-day corporate matters in the aviation, banking, construction, energy, real estate and tourism sectors, among others, co-chairs the practice with Alfredo Guzmán Saladín, who takes the lead on corporate and commercial matters from the Punta Cana and La Romana offices. Alberto Reyes is also a key contact, particularly for advising film production companies on corporate matters.
Fabio Guzmán Saladín; Alfredo Guzmán Saladín; Alberto Reyes; Fabio Guzmán Ariza
The Walt Disney Company
Highgate – Hospitality Investment and Management Company/Hallifax Holdings
JTI – Japan Tobacco International
PAWA Dominicana (Pan Am World Airways Dominicana)
SH Cacao CO Partners (19 degrees services)
Digital Works Company
UBS Group Investment Bank
General Cocoa Company – Coffee America
Distinct Investment Holdings – Renova Expert
Gold Star Tobacco
POSCO Engineering and Construction
Potentia Renewables (Emerald Solar Energy)
Embajada de Israel
TRADULCA (Transporte Duluc)
James Waite Law
- Advised Tyson Foods on two reorganisations.
- Advised Schrader Camargo on the incorporation of Consortium Catalina 15 to provide services to the $2bn Punta Catalina thermoelectric power plant project in the Dominican Republic.
- Acted as local counsel to the Walt Disney Company on the production of a television series in the Dominican Republic.
Jiménez Peña has significant experience advising multinational corporations, major local companies and foreign private equity groups on their operations in the Dominican Republic, including assisting with inbound investments, M&A and corporate reorganisations. In addition, the team advises international clients on incorporations and the commercialisation of their products in the Dominican market. Among the team’s areas of expertise are the energy, agribusiness, e-commerce, banking and consumer goods sectors. At the helm of the practice, founding partner Luis Julio Jimenez handles major corporate and commercial matters for domestic and international clients, Marcos Peña Rodríguez stands out for his expertise in the energy sector, Vilma Veras is particularly active in the retail and hospitality sectors, and Katherine Rosa focuses on energy-related M&A.
Luis Julio Jimenez; Marcos Peña; Vilma Veras; Katherine Rosa
Banco BHD Leon
Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Interamerican Development Bank (IDB)
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Advanced Asset Management
Portland Private Equity
Corporación Interamericana para el Financiamiento de Infraestructura (CIFI)
- Advising TotalEnergies on its strategic alliance with Grupo Marti, a Dominican business consortium, to bring together the TotalEnergies, Sunix and TropiGas Natural brands.
- Advising Acciona on the acquisition of 100% of the shares in the special purpose vehicle for Proyecto Calabaza, a photovoltaic power plant in Azua province, and of shares in the SPV for Proyecto Electro Solar, a PV plant in Peravia province.
- Advising Grupo Punta Cana in connection with setting up an export free zone around the Punta Cana International Airport for the operation of a logistic hub.
Medina Garnes Abogados‘ strengths lie in multi-jurisdictional M&A and corporate reorganisations, as well as the incorporation of local subsidiaries of international companies. The team’s broad client base spans the banking, energy, mining, infrastructure, telecoms and hospitality sectors, among others. Alexandra Sánchez, who handles M&A and corporate structuring, leads the team with founding partner Fabiola Medina Garnes, while Marielle Garrigó, whose experience includes cross-border M&A, private equity and venture capital deals, is on temporary leave to advise the Superintendence of Banks of the Dominican Republic. Melissa Silié, who was promoted to partner in June 2022 and is experienced in M&A and restructuring, and senior associate Patricia Álvarez, a corporate finance and governance expert, are also key names to note. Since publication, Garrigó has left the firm - effective February 2023.
Fabiola Medina Garnes; Alexandra Sánchez
‘Melissa Silié is always involved in the operation which speeds up the negotiations. This was particularly important to us. Patricia Álvarez has significant knowledge of regulatory procedures.’
‘The Medina Garrigó team was extremely efficient in its response times. With its support, we managed to close one of our most important transactions in the Caribbean on time.’
Inversiones MomentumAmsha Marina
Boulevard Turístico del Atlántico (BTA)/Autopista del Nordeste (ADN)
Banco Sabadell Miami Branch
Agilisa Technologies/Dynamic Payments
Constructora del Pais (CODELPA)
- Assisted UFP Technologies with the acquisition of DAS Medical International, a free trade zone company located in La Romana.
- Advised Grupo Macapi, a family company dedicated to the commercialisation and export of agricultural products, on the restructuring and organisation of all the group’s assets.
- Advised Inversiones Momentum and Amsha Marina on the sale of Hotel Grand Paradise Playa Dorada in Puerto Plata to Hodelpa for $17m.
Pellerano Nadal is highly regarded for its advice to major local and multinational clients on high-profile domestic and cross-border transactions, including M&A, joint ventures and foreign direct investments, as well as day-to-day corporate matters. Notable areas of strength include the energy, mining and aviation sectors. Practice head Luis Rafael Pellerano is highly experienced in M&A and other international transactions, with an emphasis on the energy and natural resources sectors. Senior counsel Urania Paulino frequently advises on foreign investment, M&A and international trade, as well as distribution and commercial issues, and senior associate B Génesis Rodríguez has expertise in regulatory and compliance matters. Since publication, Paulino has been raised to the partnership, and -in a notable February 2023 hire- the firm has incorporated Marielle Garrigó – formerly of Medina Garnes Abogados – who arrives from a role as special counsel at the Superintendencia de Bancos de la República Dominicana
Luis Rafael Pellerano
‘The team stands out for its professional service and efficient client management. In my opinion, it is the best firm in the country for mining, energy and corporate financing matters.’
‘The courtesy and personalised treatment they provide to clients is far above the standard of other firms with which my group of companies deals. Luis Rafael Pellerano is simply the master of these aspects.’
‘The firm provides a comprehensive service, covering all the necessary aspects of corporate and M&A procedures and fulfilling the strategic objectives of the company.’
‘The lawyers have extensive experience and relationships in the economic and industrial sector that help achieve the company’s objectives. Luis Rafael Pellerano and Genesis Rodriguez are outstanding.’
Jetblue Airways Corporation
Barrick Gold Corporation
Compañía de Electricidad San Pedro de Macorís – ENERGAS
- Acting for Grupo Nutresa following the public acquisition offer made by Grupo Gilinsky for up to 62.625% of its shares.
- Providing Jetblue Airways Corporation with ongoing assistance in all corporate, regulatory, transactional and other issues specific to the tourism and aviation sector.
- Assisting Barrick Gold with corporate matters relating to the operation and expansion of the Pueblo Viejo mine.
Pereyra & Asociados frequently assists both domestic and international clients with multi-jurisdictional transactions, including M&A and corporate restructurings. In addition, the team advises on the launch and winding-down of companies in the Dominican Republic, free trade zone matters, commercial contracts and franchise agreements, and regulatory and compliance issues. Its broad client base spans the energy, financial services, food and beverages, manufacturing and aviation sectors, among others. Luis Miguel Pereyra, who is experienced in M&A and foreign investments, with expertise in the energy, aviation, telecoms and mining sectors, leads the team with Emma Mejía Batlle, who is particularly noted for her advice on commercial matters.
Luis Miguel Pereyra; Emma Mejía Batlle
‘The corporate team are well prepared and always have good availability.’
‘The lawyers have a high level of knowledge, understand the client’s requirements, and provide assertive and comprehensive advice.’
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Caribbean Property Group (CF Hotels)
Mondelez International (Cadbury-Kraft)
Bed Bath and Beyond
VP Corporation (Timberland/RFC)
Archer Daniels Midland Company
Haina International Terminals
- Advised the Bank of Nova Scotia on the acquisition of 97.3% of the equity of Banco del Progreso.
- Advised Caribbean Property Group/CF Hotels (Courtyard Marriott Santo Domingo) on its acquisition by a group of Greek investors.
- Advising McDonald’s on the transfer of all current franchise agreements to a new business model involving a single unit franchise.
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti
With experience of advising multinationals across a range of sectors, including energy, mechanical engineering, financial services, pharmaceuticals, and food and beverages, Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti handles both domestic and cross-border corporate transactions. Areas of strength include M&A and foreign investments, corporate restructurings, contractual matters (particularly agency and distribution agreements), and regulatory and compliance issues. Managing partner Georges Santori Recio, who is noted for his advice to foreign clients on corporate finance, M&A and commercial matters in the Dominican Republic, leads the sizeable team alongside José Maldonado Stark, an expert in advising investors in the trade, real estate, infrastructure and financial services sectors, Luis Heredia Valenzuela, whose expertise spans M&A, foreign investments and joint ventures, and Román Medina Diplán. Ariel Jaquez Nuñez is also a name to note. Angelica Noboa Pagan joined the team from Baker McKenzie Abogados, S.C. in 2021 bringing with her significant expertise in regulatory, competition and international trade matters.
Georges Santoni Recio; Luis Heredia Valenzuela; Jose Maldonado Stark; Roman Medina Diplan
‘Very professional, great lawyers, and very knowledgeable about doing business in the Dominican Republic.’
‘A well-established firm, with lawyers who have been in the business for a long time, building an excellent service. Very professional and very well-respected.’
‘The team is highly trained and leaves clients feeling reassured that their legal matters are in good hands.’
Advising clients from highly regulated sectors, including renewable energy, insurance, finance, telecoms and free trade zones, is a key area of expertise for Biaggi Abogados. The team handles the full life cycle of corporate projects from due diligence, M&A and corporate reorganisations to corporate governance and regulatory compliance issues. Firm founder Gustavo Biaggi and Edward Pina, whose practice spans the energy, financial, aviation, hydrocarbons, tourism and pharmaceutical industries, lead the team. Wanda Perdomo and Rosa María Mena are also notable contacts. Since publication, Mena has left the practice for an in-house role.
Gustavo Biaggi Pumarol; Edward Pina
‘Wanda Perdomo is always accessible and available.’
‘It has been a great relief for me to find a team that I can trust with my eyes closed. They have really taken care to make us feel at home, accommodating our needs and foreseeing all possible scenarios.’
‘Edward Piña manages our corporate affairs to our complete satisfaction. Not only does he thoroughly study each case and define the best plan of action, but he also takes the time to educate us along the way, explaining, as many times as necessary, the possibilities, risks and best practices in each situation. His support has been key to reaching many of the achievements that make us proud today. His openness, warmth and meticulousness make the service he provides unmatched.’
Griffin Global Asset Management
LCPZ Dominican Republic (Little Caesars)
Bupa Global Latin America
Aruze Gaming International
Muñoz Rosado Family Trust
Consorcio Energético Punta Cana Macao
- Advising Griffin Global Asset Management on all regulatory and commercial matters regarding the acquisition, registration and lease of five Boeing 737-8 aircraft to a new national airline, Arajet.
- Advised Bain Capital on the due Diligence of local airline Arajet and the acquisition of a majority equity investment.
- Advised Grupo Read on a corporate reorganisation which involved creating various holding companies focused on health, real estate, intellectual property and other investments.
Castillo y Castillo
Castillo y Castillo is experienced in M&A across a range of sectors, including banking, logistics and consumer goods. In addition, the team advises on company formations and registrations, corporate restructurings, and commercial issues including franchising, licensing and technology agreements. Práxedes Castillo, who has particular strength in the banking, retail, energy, telecoms and tourism sectors, leads the team with Sebastián Jiménez. At associate level, Amalia Pérez is a key contact for commercial contracts and company incorporations and reorganisations and Jacqueline Fernández is experienced in the real estate and tourism sectors.
Práxedes Castillo Baez; Sebastián Jiménez
Banco Popular Dominicano
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
GB Group (Texaco)
Banco Multiple Ademi
Banco Caribe Internacional
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana
Central American Bank for Economic Integration
Agence Française de Développement
Vishay Hirel Systems
The broad corporate practice at De Camps, Vásquez & Valera spans M&A, corporate restructurings, and private equity and venture capital transactions, including cross-border matters. The team’s client base includes both domestic and international companies and financial institutions; among its sectors of expertise are hospitality and tourism, aviation, banking, energy, healthcare, manufacturing, technology and telecoms. Founding partner Amauris Vásquez Disla, who stands out for his experience in foreign direct investments (particularly in highly regulated sectors), M&A and joint ventures, co-chairs the practice group with energy and mining expert Nathalie Abreu Mejía.
Amauris Vásquez Disla; Nathalie Abreu Mejía
‘The firm has been able to provide us with quality and timely advice, thanks to the different professionals that make up the team, who are trained in various subjects.’
‘One of the main strengths of this law firm is its constant availability whenever we have needed its professional services. I have had the privilege of working with Amauris Vásquez, who is a highly qualified professional.’
Potentia Renewable Energy
San Pedro Bio Energy
Powergreen Azua Project
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana, Banco de Servicios Múltiples
Sergeant Marine Petroleum
Grupo Punta Cana
David Jiménez Pérez
Tom Moss & Sawyer Sawyer
Kentucky Foods Group
Magnetar Global Partners
Consorcio Energético Punta Cana Macao
Compañía de Electricidad Bayahíbe
SK E&S Dominicana
Investco Global Group
- Advised Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana, Banco de Servicios Múltiples on its expansion to the US, Spain and Panama.
- Advised Circon Energy on the due diligence process for the acquisition of Green Wheels Dominica, which has the concession to operate a waste-to-energy power plant.
- Advised InterEnergy Group on the due diligence process for the acquisition of Agua Clara, which has a concession to operate a wind turbine electrical generation facility.
With a wide-ranging client base, which includes multinational companies from the healthcare, luxury goods, hospitality and telecoms sectors, among others, DMK Abogados frequently advises on M&A, franchising projects, joint ventures and the establishment of free trade zone companies in the Dominican Republic. The team also assists with day-to-day corporate matters, including due diligence, contract design, corporate governance and compliance. Managing partner Enrique De Marchena, who frequently advises on foreign investment, leads the team with Patricia Read, who has expertise in company incorporations and restructurings.
Enrique De Marchena Kaluche; Patricia Read
I have had a good experience with DMK; I received the level of attention I expect to receive and a very professional approach.
Enrique de Marchena, Ivan Garcia and Patricia Nuñes are very good (if not excellent) and professional.
Senator Hotels & Resorts
- Advising Marriot International on the expansion of its operations in the Dominican Republic, including the negotiation and drafting of franchise agreements.
- Advising Spanish chain Senator Hotels & Resorts on its expansion to the Dominican Republic by acquiring three hotels from RIU Hotels in Puerto Plata.
- Advising a number of international clients on day-to-day corporate matters and compliance.
International firm ECIJA DVMS frequently acts as Dominican counsel to major multinationals on high-profile M&A, with a client base that spans the pharmaceuticals, financial services, tourism, sports and consumer products sectors. The team is also well versed in foreign investments, private equity transactions, restructurings and regulatory matters. At the head of the practice, Polibio Valenzuela is noted for his experience in M&A and Gabriel Dejarden focuses on advising international clients on corporate governance, reorganisations and cross-border M&A.
Polibio Valenzuela Scheker; Gabriel Dejarden
‘The lawyers in this practice area are complete professionals. They are efficient and absolutely capable of meeting the needs of their clients in a concrete and effective manner.’
‘The team stands out for its time management, customer service and attention to detail, as well as the ability to respond quickly.’
Lopeyano (Ly Company)
CCI Puesto de Bolsa
Pfizer Central America & Caribbean
Apple Leisure Group
St Louis Cardinals
Grupo Lácteo del Caribe (Cooperativa de Productores de Leche Dos Pinos)
- Assisted Massy Group with the acquisition of a 20% stake in Curbo, the owner of a platform which enables customers to sell cars through a mobile app.
- Assisting Pfizer with all legal matters concerning the supply of the COVID-19 vaccine to the government of the Dominican Republic.
- Assisted a client with the due diligence of a company and its real estate development prior to the acquisition of a stake in the company by an investment fund manager on behalf of one of its publicly traded funds.
Raful Sicard Polanco & Fernández
Raful Sicard Polanco & Fernández is highly regarded for its specialist expertise in the aviation sector, counting a number of major local and international airlines among its clients, as well as its expertise in telecoms, maritime and real estate matters. The practice advises on foreign investment, M&A, reorganisations, free trade zone matters, and agency and distribution contracts, as well as regulatory and compliance issues. The sizeable team is led by Sara Sicard, Hilda Polanco, María Esther Fernández and Ernesto Raful.
Ernesto Raful; Sara Sicard; Hilda Patricia Polanco Morales; María Esther Fernández
Zona Franca Industrial Las Américas
Centro de Medicina Avanzada Dr. Abel González
Phillip Morris Dominicana
Bolsa y Mercado de Valores de la República Dominicana/RDVAL Proveedora de Precios
Asociación de Empresas Couriers de la Republica Dominicana
Amazon Web Services
Asociacion de Lineas Aereas
Grupo Boluda Fos Corporation
Beaumont & Son
Allianz Global Insurance Company
- Advised Poseidon Energia Renovable, the owner of Los Guzmancitos wind energy project in Puerto Plata, on the sale of 30% of the share capital.
- Advised a group of foreign investors on the launch of a local airline with operations in the Dominican Republic.
- Advising on the establishment of Volando Air, a new national airline.
Ulises Cabrera has longstanding experience of advising local and international clients on corporate matters, including M&A, foreign investments, corporate finance, regulatory issues, and agency and distribution contracts. Notable areas of expertise include the financial, technology, healthcare and manufacturing sectors. Founding partner Ulises Cabrera leads the team alongside managing partner José Cruz Campillo, whose practice covers foreign investments, free trade zone matters and agency and distribution law, and Mónica Villafaña, who advises on a wide range of commercial contracts and corporate transactions, as well as competition law.
Monica Villafaña; Jose Cruz Campillo; Ulises Cabrera
‘Ulises Cabrera has been able to put together a team of very talented young lawyers and some experienced practitioners. They keep their clients up to date on their specific cases. I think that collaboration and strategic thinking are the major traits of the firm.’
‘The lawyers at Ulises Cabrera work as a well-synchronised team and stay up to date on clients’ cases.’
‘Ulises Cabrera has a good team of professionals who are ethical and committed to the well-being of their clients. They project an image of prestige and we understand that their services are highly valued in the Dominican market.’
‘The relationship with clients is highly personalised and the analysis they carry out of the legal situations that arise gives us a lot of confidence, as well as providing absolute peace of mind with their opinions. I feel absolutely confident in the work carried out by Ulises Cabrera.’
‘Mónica Villafaña stands out for her absolute commitment, capacity to handle complex cases and quick responses. Monica is up to date with the socioeconomic and political situation of the country, so her legal analysis includes these aspects as well.’
‘The UC team is solid and knowledgeable about the subject area. They are not limited to the letter of our requests – they always go further and add value to the final result.’
‘A very professional team, with vast experience and knowledge of corporate and commercial matters. Their follow-up on our cases is worthy of praise, as well as the kindness and good disposition of the team members.’
‘Ulises Cabrera’s great experience and seniority, as well as his affable approach and good sense of humour, have been key factors in our relationship of more than 40 years. Monica Villafaña is an excellent professional and an expert in the business and corporate arena. Her incorporation into the firm has been essential to complement the offering of world-class legal services.’
Amiko Capital Humano BPO
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos (APAP)
Caribbean Liquid Sugar RJH
Continental de Negocios (Grupo Familia)
Fresenius Medical Care Dominicana
Fresenius Medical Care Panamá
GlaxoSmithKline República Dominicana
Holsum de República Dominicana
Zona Franca Las Américas
- Advised Ebanx on its establishment in the Dominican market.
- Advising Inversiones y Negocios on negotiating and drafting contracts for the distribution of international brands Jergens, Palmer’s, Ban, Bioré and Curel in the Dominican Republic and Panama.
- Advising Inaru Valley on the corporate structuring and establishment of its operations in the Dominican Republic, including obtaining its classification as an export free zone company.
Part of the Terralex international network, Alburquerque Abogados – Consultores is experienced in advising global companies, particularly in the tourism, retail, real estate, energy and financial services sectors, on their commercial activities. The team also handles cross-border M&A, the establishment of new companies in the Dominican Republic and corporate due diligence. Managing partner José Manuel Alburquerque Prieto advises on M&A and restructurings; he leads the team with Gina Hernández Vólquez, who stands out for her expertise in the tourism sector.
José Manuel Alburquerque Prieto; Gina Alexandra Hernández Vólquez
Caliente Club & Resorts
Catalonia Hotels and Resorts
Pernod Ricard Dominicana
Laurus Master Fund
Caribbean Venture LQV
- Advising Inversiones F&G on its investments in the tourist area of Las Terrenas.
- Advised Calzados Paris and Alcentro on the separation of the corporate group.
- Advised Laurus Master Fund on the due diligence related to the purchase of land and the Punta Alta tourism project in Puerto Plata.
Bobadilla Abogados advises both domestic and international clients on a range of corporate and commercial matters, including M&A and corporate finance (an area where it has been increasingly active). Andrés Emilio Bobadilla Fernández is the key name to note.
Zona Franca Multimodal Caucedo
Latin American Free Zone Investment Dominicana (Parque Industrial Itabo – PIISA)
Compañía Dominicana de Teléfonos (CLARO-CODETEL)
LG H&H USA
Centro Cuesta Nacional
Consorcio Energético Punta Cana – Macao
- Advised Empresas Najri on the acquisition of Autobritanica in excess of $13m.
- Advised LG Household & Healthcare on the establishment of a local free trade zone branch and the acquisition of the outgoing operator.
Cáceres Torres advises on a wide range of corporate, contractual, regulatory and foreign investment matters, including company incorporations, M&A, spin-offs and reorganisations, joint ventures, and franchise, agency and distribution contracts. Its client base of major domestic and international companies spans the financial services, mining, agro-industrial and manufacturing sectors. Founding partner Rafael Cáceres, an expert in the mining industry, leads the practice with managing partner Juan Manuel Cáceres, who is experienced in M&A, reorganisations, consolidations and liquidations, and Gelda María Cáceres.
Rafael Cáceres Rodríguez; Juan Manuel Cáceres Torres; Gelda María Cáceres Torres
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Zenith Crop Science
Corporación Multi Inversiones
Molinos del Ozama
Inversiones Pez Azul
Calidra de Oriente
- Advising Corporación Multi Inversiones on corporate structuring and governance matters.
- Assisted a major company with its corporate structuring and the sale of properties in significant tourist areas.
- Advising Universal Music on the Dominican regulations for the international TV show “The Voice”.
With a wide international network, EY Law is able to advise clients on their corporate operations in jurisdictions across Latin America and Europe. The team has recently been particularly active in M&A in the energy, real estate and consumer products sectors; other areas of expertise include joint ventures, corporate reorganisations, foreign investments and commercial contracts. Thania Gomez, who is experienced in advising international clients on M&A and energy-related matters, leads the team.
‘EY has shown excellent know-how, both in following what was our original plan and in pivoting to respond to new situations in a way that will lead to success.’
‘From the most junior lawyer to the most senior, they demonstrate a higher-than-average level of preparation, which has given me a sense of security when hiring their services, as I know that I am in good hands. Even in very uncomfortable situations with counterparties, they have shown exceptional patience and have handled the situation even better than me.’
The Linda Group
Homs Health and Wellness Center
Perez & Cia
J Fortuna Constructions
Ingenieria de Sistemas de Transporte y Cables
- Advised Inversiones Radiante (part of Grupo Linda) on the acquisition of shares in Empresa Generadora de Electricidad Itabo valued at around $100m.
- Advised Ingeniería Estrella on the negotiation of a $32m loan granted to the company.
- Advised Homs Health and Wellness Center on obtaining a $45m loan to finance the construction of a health and wellness centre, and on the negotiation of a franchise agreement with an international hotel chain.
JJ Roca & Asociados
The corporate practice at JJ Roca & Asociados ranges from advising on commercial contracts and franchising and distribution agreements to handling M&A, corporate reorganisations and the structuring of foreign investments. In addition, the team has expertise in telecoms, transportation, energy and real estate law. Managing partner Jaime Roca, who is experienced in M&A, restructurings and foreign investment, co-heads the practice alongside Sharin Pablo, who brings complementary strengths in competition law and corporate governance issues to the team.
Jaime Roca; Sharin Pablo de Roca
‘The team is attentive and responds quickly and appropriately to our enquiries and requests. It offers a personalised service thanks to its very professional staff who are confident and diligent.’
‘Above all, the team stands out for its integrity. It has a prestigious reputation earned through professionalism and seriousness.’
‘I believe that one aspect that differentiates JJ Roca from other firms is the personalised treatment of clients and the willingness of the JJ Roca team to get involved in the details related to each issue we deal with.’
Asociación Cibao de Ahorros y Prestamos
Fundación Dominicana de Desarrollo
Asociación Latinoamericana para el Control de Infecciones
Agujetas Solidarias en Acción
- Advised Scotiabank on data privacy issues.
- Advised GetMe on the contractual structure to regulate its operations.
- Advised Buckner Dominicana on contracts with service providers and other corporate issues.