Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández's corporate team is best known for providing a comprehensive service that covers all types of transactional work. Its broad experience in both local and international markets is of benefit for its multinational clients, which operate in a range of sectors including healthcare, air traffic, consumer products and e-commerce, among others. Sales of receivables and asset acquisitions have been very active areas in the past year, while the group also saw an increase in projects relating to the supply and regulation of health products. Commercial agreements, tax matters, financing, corporate reorganisations as well as tourism and industrial free zones investments feature prominently in Jaime Senior's workload. Sarah De León's specialisms include real estate projects, distribution, joint ventures and foreign investments. Roberto Rizik divides his practice between banking and corporate projects; in the latter field he specialises in M&A, insurance law and the execution of contracts that involve public or private entities. The trio jointly lead the practice. Other key contacts include Eileen Jiménez, Mary Fernández and Fernando Marranzini.
Corporate and M&A in Dominican Republic
Roberto Rizik; Sarah De León Perelló; Jaime Senior
‘Personalised service, quality of the opinions provided, knowledge of the market.’
‘All members of the team are excellent with an outstanding attention to detail and commitment to the client and come with the highest level of recommendation.’
‘Mary Fernandez makes herself available, has great knowledge and connections. Mary is a true leader who is extremely professional, compassionate and strategic.’
‘They have the required technical knowledge, they understand the client’s need, so their advice is adjusted to what is required in practice, and they respond extremely fast.’
‘They make the client feel as if their issues are the most relevant, and they care about going that extra mile and providing a service that really serves to solve the situations presented. In addition, they are extremely reasonable in terms of billing.’
La Cava Holdings
JP Morgan Securities
Johnson & Johnson
New York Yankees
Tabacalera de García
CMFG Life Insurance
De La Rue
- Advised multinational tobacco company Imperial Brands on the sale of certain Dominican Republic assets as part of a global transaction worth $1.1bn regarding the sale of its premium cigar division.
- Advised DiDi Chuxing, which provides app-based transportation services including ride-sharing, taxi hailing and on-demand delivery services, in connection with the launch of its services in the Dominican Republic.
- Represented McKinsey & Company in connection with the expansion of its services in Latin America, assisting the consulting services firm with the establishment of its offices in the Dominican Republic.
Highly regarded firm OMG is best known for assisting corporate clients on legal planning, project management and fiscal matters. In particular, the department’s strengths lie in the fields of M&A, asset management, foreign investments and free trade zones as well as production, transportation, distribution and sales contracts. Esperanza Cabral is sought out for her experience in restructuring processes, and Johanna Soto additionally covers contractual engineering, inheritance law and estate planning, while Leonel Melo is often seen advising on complex M&A and real estate projects, especially in the tourism and food and beverage sectors. Associate Laura Piantini is another key member of the team. In another development, the firm launched its Cuenta con Nosotros pro bono initiative, which provides legal advice to personnel working in the healthcare sector. Since publication, Piantini has been raised to the partnership (effective December 2021), as has Luis Eduardo Aquino in the IP sector.
Esperanza Cabral; Johanna Soto; Leonel Melo
‘OMG’s team is very capable and among the best to work with in the Dominican Republic. They compare very favourably with other counsels in the region.’
‘Esperanza Cabral, Aida Dominguez, and Johanna Soto are stars. They are prompt and very effectively help the client deal with challenges as they arise.’
Putney Capital Management
The Bank of Nova Scotia
San Pedro Bio Energy
Meliá Hotels International
- Assisted Alere Advisors in the negotiation and closing of an amendment of the framework and share purchase agreements for the sale (in exercise of its put option right) of part of Loganville’s shares in dairy company Pasteurizadora Rica.
- Acted as local counsel to Inveravante in matters related to Dominican law, including contractual issues such as guarantees, and representations for a $50m energy project sale.
- Assisted Delivery Hero with the acquisition of Glovo’s operations in the Dominican Republic, as part of Delivery Hero’s acquisition of Glovo’s operations in Latin America.
Pellerano & Herrera has a solid reputation in the Dominican Republic corporate market as well as internationally, as shown by its high number of prominent multinational clients and projects. Its expertise in corporate, commercial, labour and tax law enables the team to provide full-service advice in different sectors, with a particular emphasis on telecoms, banking and technology. Key lawyers include managing partner Ricardo Pellerano, who acts in transactions primarily involving the banking, real estate and tourism industries; Mariángela Pellerano, who is an expert in trusts, mining and energy projects; Carolina Léon, who heads up the energy team and co-heads the telecoms, media and entertainment industry groups; and Alessandra Di Carlo, whose activity is characterised by a strong involvement in joint ventures, project finance and the entry of global companies into the Dominican market. The firm also stands out for its digital and fintech practice and for having a dedicated China desk focused on Chinese investors. Additionally - as of August 2021 - it has signed a collaboration agreement with services firm Andersen Global.
Ricardo Pellerano; Mariángela Pellerano; Carolina Léon; Alessandra Di Carlo
International Finance Corporation
- Acted as local counsel to the underwriters in the €2.8bn bond offering of Altice Financing.
- Acting as local counsel to International Finance Corporation in the financing of a $60m loan to Banco Múltiple BHD León.
- Providing legal advice to Facebook on the anti-money laundering regulations in the Dominican Republic regarding the new digital wallet called Novi.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs in Santo Domingo is best known for assisting corporate entities and banking institutions with large mergers and private placement bond issuances. The firm is also recognised for its work as general counsel for foreign entities entering the Dominican and Latin American markets; for these types of projects, the main point of contact is Alejandro Peña-Prieto, who leads the firm’s Latin America practice group and is noted for advising foreign investors especially in the energy, banking, real estate and hospitality sectors. Pedro Gamundi's expertise includes private lending, project financing and private offerings, while also covering disputes, reorganisations and insolvency. Rhina Martinez Brea is also noted. Also of relevance is the firm's adoption of technology and AI solutions, which allow it to reduce costs in a number of fields, including litigation discovery, case management, document review, contract generation and due diligence, to name a few.
Alejandro Peña-Prieto; Pedro Gamundi
Parque Industrial y Zona Franca Santo Domingo
Antillean Portfolio Investments
Banco Popular Dominicano
Caterpillar Financial Services
Implementos y Maquinarias
Diageo Latin America
Martí Petroleum Group
Gol Transportes Aéreos
Aerodom Lending Group
Rivia Business Corporation
- Assisted Nigua Free Zone, first by conducting a comprehensive vendor due diligence for purposes of a potential corporate acquisition, and later in the negotiations conducive to the sale of a controlling stake in the free zone park.
- Assisted Antillean Portfolio Investment, a special purpose acquisition company, in the purchase of a controlling equity interest in Indomaca.
- Acting as legal advisors on New York law for Banco Popular Dominicano Banco Multiple in connection with the second and the third amendment to the Aerodom credit agreement.
Guzmán Ariza‘s corporate team is noted for having ‘a lot of knowledge in the legal area and well-defined processes to achieve the objectives and work requested by the client‘. The firm is active in a significant number of bankruptcy cases in the country, and is the first port of call for restructurings involving trusts, as well as in the recognition in the Dominican Republic of foreign insolvency proceedings. Project finance transactions are another key specialism, in which co-chair Fabio Guzmán Saladín excels, especially in relation to construction, real estate, tourism, natural resources and infrastructure projects. Other key lawyers include co-chair Alfredo Guzmán Saladín, who is recognised for his experience in private public partnerships (PPPs), tax structuring and corporate restructurings in the hotels sector, and Alberto Reyes Báez, who serves as legal advisor to many international infrastructure and construction companies.
Fabio Guzmán Saladín; Alfredo Guzmán Saladín
‘The team is well organised and teamwork is indisputable, they have a lot of knowledge in the legal area and well-defined processes to achieve the objectives and work requested by the client.’
‘Knowledge, professionalism, speed, follow-up and resolution.’
‘Fabio Guzmán Saladín stands out for his solid knowledge and prompt response rate.’
‘You can count on any of their lawyers to be able to advise you on all the issues you handle with them. Their strengths include teamwork, their quick response to requests made by the client, their ability to put themselves in the client’s shoes and empathise with them, their good reputation, and the seriousness with which they handle cases. In short, a firm that supports and sustains the client at all times.’
‘Julio Brea stands out, who combines the qualities of a great manager, such as deep professional knowledge of the areas he handles, with unique personal values.’
Pan Am World Airways Dominicana
POSCO Engineering and Construction
SH Cacao CO Partners
Digital Works Company
UBS Group Investment Bank
General Cocoa Company
Distinct Investment Holdings
- Advised 12Tree Finance Investment in the development of greenfield and brownfield investments in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised Emerald Solar Energy, a subsidiary of Canadian group Potentia Renewables, in a $37m financing through the Free Closed Investment Fund for the Development of Dominican Infrastructure, managed by Administradora de Fondos de Inversión Universal.
- Providing legal advice to Arendal in connection to the consortium negotiations with Barrick Gold, which operates an open pit gold mine in the Dominican Republic, and which hired Arendal for the extension of the Pueblo Viejo Gold Mine.
Jiménez Peña stands out for assisting companies and foreign private equity firms on all their legal and business matters. Its track record includes M&A and corporate reorganisations, incorporations and product commercialisation, and it also provides ongoing commercial and corporate governance advice to its clients. Vilma Veras is particularly known for covering shareholders agreements, joint ventures, and cross-border M&A, founding partner Luis Julio Jimenez is an expert in administrative law, economic regulation and government relations, and Katherine Rosa has in-depth knowledge of the energy and infrastructure sectors. Together, the three co-lead the department. The firm's pro bono work is also notable; it is involved in initiatives for underprivileged communities and has worked with a number of local and international charities.
Luis Julio Jimenez; Vilma Veras; Katherine Rosa
‘One of the best firms in Santo Domingo. The quality of their work is very good.’
‘Luis Julio Jimenez and Vilma Veras are both highly capable and prepared and are always available to respond to clients’ needs.’
Banco BHD Leon
Banco Centroamericano de Integración Económica
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Interamerican Development Bank
International Finance Corporation
Advanced Asset Management
Portland Private Equity
Corporación Interamericana para el Financiamiento de Infraestructura
- Advised Grupo Ramos on the acquisition of e-commerce start-up alsuper.com.
- Advised V Energy on the acquisition of a majority stake in Plater Investment.
- Advised Adevinta Group on the disposal of an equity interest in the Dominican subsidiary owner and operator of www.corotos.com.do.
Noted for its 'agile and fast responses', the 'highly professional' corporate and commercial team at Medina Garrigó Abogados is jointly led by Marielle Garrigó and Fabiola Medina Garnes. The department's main areas of focus include multi-jurisdictional M&A deals, corporate restructurings and incorporations of local subsidiaries. Recently, the group has particularly stood out in matters posing complex regulatory challenges, including sales and bond issuances. In addition to the electricity sector, the firm assists companies especially in the tourism and technology industries. Senior associates Patricia Álvarez and Melissa Silié are other key members of the team. In 2020, the team welcomed a senior associate and a junior lawyer to its ranks, and saw the departure of Laura Bobea, who left to join a financial institution in July 2020.
Marielle Garrigó; Fabiola Medina Garnes
‘A highly professional team with very good response levels and they offer, whenever possible, more than one alternative to queries and needs.’
‘Agile and fast responses.’
‘Patricia Alvarez and Marielle Garrigó are excellent legal professionals with knowledge and attention to detail.’
‘Marielle Garrigo provides top-notch service in an efficient and straightforward manner. Dealing with her is like dealing with the best lawyer at the best law firm in the US, which is something that US clients are looking for.’
Boulevard Turístico del Atlántico
Autopista del Nordeste
Compañía de Electricidad de Puerto Plata
Agua Clara Inkia Energy
Baeza Machinery Company
Cervecería Nacional Dominicana
- Acted as legal counsel to Compañía de Electricidad de Puerto Plata in the sale of more than 2,000,000 shares of one of its shareholders.
- Acted as local counsel to Boulevard Turístico del Atlántico in the acquisition of 32 credits held by the owners whose land was expropriated for the construction of the toll road Boulevard Turístico del Atlántico.
- Acting as counsel to Cervecería Nacional Dominicana in the structuring and development of a new and creative electronic platform for the sale and distribution of its products.
Pellerano Nadal is a full-service firm with a corporate team focused on representing multinational and local clients in cross-border transactions. The team's key areas of activity include acquisitions, joint ventures, project finance, capital market transactions and tax planning. Founding and managing partner Luis Rafael Pellerano stood out for leading on a number of significant international transactions which were carried out against the background of the pandemic. Gustavo Mena is appreciated for his cross-practice expertise, covering environmental law, government relations and corporate matters. The firm committed to protecting the environment through the creation of a green office, which focuses on reducing waste and unnecessary consumption.
Luis Rafael Pellerano
‘Luis Rafael Pellerano is managing the clients’ cases at all times with absolute control over the particularities of the projects. Similarly, Génesis Rodriguez demonstrates an excellent ability to carry out different processes in parallel, always guaranteeing results and attention to detail.’
‘The personal and professional attention is really unique. I’d highlight Luis Pellerano’s experience in corporate and especially mining and energy.’
‘Their knowledge and strive to present the very best legal advice and opinions is well appreciated by us. They always follow up with the assigned tasks and complete them in a very timely manner.’
Dentons United Kingdom
Barrick Gold Corporation
Bank of America
JetBlue Airways Corporation
DRE Repair Services
- Advising JetBlue in connection to the management of the Covid-19 crisis which severely impacted the aviation industry.
- Acted as local counsel for Barrick Gold Corporation in its investment in Precipitate Gold, in which both companies and certain affiliates entered into an earn-in agreement.
- Assisted Dentons United Kingdom and Allied Cigar Corporation in a transaction and devised the real estate strategy to be implemented in order to ensure the most efficient transfer of title of rent agreements involved.
Household name companies turn to the corporate team at Pereyra & Asociados, which maintains a strong focus on M&A, as well as providing advice on all related matters, including tax, labour, contractual and regulatory issues. Banks are among the firm’s main clients; Scotiabank’s acquisition of Banco Dominicano del Progreso represents a relevant highlight of 2021. The transaction was led by founding partner and practice head Luis Miguel Pereyra, and Emma Mejía Batlle was also a key member of the team. Pereyra is highly skilled in corporate financings, joint ventures and cross-border transactions especially, and Mejía’s focus is on joint ventures, incorporations, residential real estate and licensing in the hospitality, banking, manufacturing and telecoms sectors, among others.
Luis Miguel Pereyra; Emma Mejía Batlle
‘Capacity and knowledge in the area, professionalism.’
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Caribbean Property Group (CF Hotels)
Mondelēz International (Cadbury-Kraft)
Bed Bath and Beyond
VP Corporation (Timberland)
Archer Daniels Midland Company
Haina International Terminals – HIT
- Assisted The Bank of Nova Scotia in the acquisition of 97.3% equity of Banco del Progreso.
- Represented Caribbean Property Group/CF Hotels in all legal matters pertaining to the purchase of CF Hotels by a group of Greek investors.
- Providing legal assistance to the McDonald’s Corporation in a transaction involving the transfer of all current and new franchise agreements to a new developed business model of a single unit franchise.
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti has a longstanding track record in corporate, contractual and financial matters. The team focuses in particular on multi-jurisdictional transactions, but also covers a broader spectrum of matters; in addition to M&A, project finance and day-to-day corporate matters, the group is particularly active in cases regarding competition, consumer, data protection, fintech and anti-money laundering law. Managing partner Georges Santoni Recio is an expert in distributorship law, foreign investment and also labour and employment matters. José Maldonado Stark's workload features energy and government procurement projects, among other areas, and Luis Heredia Valenzuela's expertise spans the aviation, mining, telecoms and tourism sectors. In the Puerto Plata office, Román Medina Diplan is noted for his contractual and tax incentives practice.
Georges Santoni Recio; Luis Heredia Valenzuela; Jose Maldonado Stark; Román Medina Diplán
‘They serve the client well, taking the time to listen to its needs and from there they collaborate in the best way.’
‘Laura Cruza and Laura Fernandez are both very good professionals.’
White Oak Global Advisors
Encina Business Credit
Canada Life Reinsurance Company
BAS Projects Corporation
JP Morgan Chase
International Executive Services Corp
- Assisted Edwards Lifesciences throughout the process of selling and transferring mobile property from Edwards to another free zone company located in the same free zone park.
- Assisting Marriott International in the dissolution and liquidation of its branch in the Dominican Republic Westin Hotels Management.
- Assisted White Oak Global Advisors in relation to the extension of the maturity date of a $260m loan to PCS Wireless, a large US provider of repair and re-manufacturing services of phones, tablets, accessories and other wireless equipment.
Biaggi Abogados has recently been busy advising on labour responsibilities, restructurings, reviews of leases and agreements, and tax and benefits. Since October 2020, the corporate team has been returning to its usual full-service approach and a more project-driven workload. A significant example involved energy generator Puerto Plata Electricidad, which was assisted by practice heads Gustavo Biaggi and Edward Piña on its re-classification as an energy distributor. In addition, Wanda Perdomo stood out for her contribution to the Covid-19-related renegotiation of SICPA's government contract relating to the provision of security marks for highly taxed tobacco and alcohol products. Rosa María Mena is noted for her corporate restructuring, M&A, tax and commercial transactions expertise.
Gustavo Biaggi; Edward Piña
‘This firm is very professional and with great competence, from its main partner to its associates, we have received excellent and efficient treatment, demonstrating a great commitment in solving the issues raised.’
‘They have a specialty in the matter. They are very warm and close. They follow up with clients.’
‘Professionalism and integrity. Boutique firm led by Gustavo Biaggi, who commands respect when he enters the room. He has gravitas. Knowledge and experience blended with a disarming charm.’
‘Edward Piña is recommended.’
‘It is a professional and complete team where several lawyers cover various areas. They are always aware and updated on the issues.‘
European Investment Bank
Puerto Plata De Electricidad
DSV Air & Sea Dominicana
- Advised the European Investment Bank on the legal due diligence corresponding to the signing with the Dominican Government a $70m post-disaster and climate change resilience and adaptation programme.
- Advised a client on setting up the corporate governance and its land lease agreements, tax structure and regulatory permits for two photovoltaic generation plants capable of producing 100MW.
- Assisting Ferreteria Americana with its restructuring and debt renegotiation under Insolvency Law 141-15.
Castillo y Castillo
Castillo y Castillo has an outstanding reputation in the banking sector, and the corporate lawyers who work alongside the banking team are also highly regarded. They notably include practice heads Práxedes Castillo Báez, who focuses on M&A, project financing, securitisation and capital markets, and Sebastián Jiménez, who advises clients across a range of sectors, including retail, aviation and tourism. Luis Pimentel is also active in this area, and associate Jacqueline Fernández, who has experience co-leading on matters for the firm's flagship client Banco Popular Dominicano, plays a role on many projects, while focusing in particular on commercial contracts and real estate.
Praxedes Castillo Baez; Sebastian Jimenez
Banco Popular Dominicano
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Banco Multiple Ademi
Banco Caribe Internacional
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana
Central American Bank for Economic Integration
Agence Française de Développement
Vishay Hirel Systems
- Acted as legal counsel for Banco Popular Dominicano in a credit facility to be granted to Zona Franca Multimodal Caucedo to finance the further development of Caucedo Logistic Centre, which will be composed of 32 industrial warehouses.
- Assisted Altice International with the amendment and restatement of an agreement relating to a revolving facility agreement originally dated 9 December 2014 made between, among others, Altice Financing, Citibank Europe and Citibank London.
De Camps, Vásquez & Valera is recognised for its involvement with clients operating or investing in the Dominican Republic, especially in regulated sectors such as mining, energy, renewable energy, oil and gas, finance, banking, aviation and telecoms. Founding partner Amauris Vásquez Disla and his team focus on structuring and implementing foreign investments in the country, project finance transactions, M&A as well as PPPs and joint ventures. The firm also stands out for its 'great sense of social responsibility' and diversity, with one client highlighting its 'balance between female and male lawyers'. Nathalie Abreu Mejía, Amaury Reyes Torres and Laura Correa are also noted.
Amauris Vasquez Disla
‘Excellent professionals with extensive knowledge in commercial and criminal legal matters.’
‘Nathalie Abreu is an excellent professional. Very assertive, always looking for the best for the client. Diligent and practical, which gives the client a lot of security in making decisions. Amaury Reyes has excellent knowledge of litigation and procedure.’
‘The firm has a great sense of social responsibility and that makes a notable difference in relation to other law firms in the country, in addition to having comprehensive professionals. Great accessibility and management of processes.’
‘Laura Correa is an excellent collaborator, her warmth and professionalism makes the difference.’
‘Technical capacity, local knowledge of key stakeholders, strategic thinking. Collaboration, confidentiality, proactive approach to subjects and topics. De Camps Vasquez y Valera is unique for its personalized attention, its professionalism and ethical level in its practice. They practice diversity, due to the balance between female and male lawyers.’
Potentia Renewable Energy
San Pedro Bio Energy
Powergreen Azua Project
Powergreen Nisibon Project
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana
Sergeant Marine Petroleum
Grupo Punta Cana
Iglesia Comunidad de Cristo
Kentucky Foods Group
- Advised Potentia Renewable on the development of the Canoa Solar Park, Emerald Solar Energy, a joint company established to work on a 25MW PV project in the southern region of Barahona.
- Advised San Pedro BioEnergy on the development of the San Pedro Bio Energy Project, the first utility scale biomass power plant in the Dominican Republic, property of Vicini Holding Group.
- Advised Puma Energy, an international trader of crude oil and natural gas products, with the dissolution of one of its companies in the country.
DMK Abogados‘ corporate team has a notable track record in assisting clients in financial transactions and complex acquisitions. A recent cross-border highlight was its advice on the acquisition of Tiffany by LVMH, worth $15.8bn. Other matters keeping the team busy have included due diligence work and project financing, among other areas. The firm is also strong in providing day-to-day advice. Practice head Patricia Read is the key name for restructurings, taxation and shareholder agreements, and real estate and tourism are key sectors for managing partner Enrique de Marchena. Andrés Ceara, who co-leads the corporate, free trade zones, tourism and energy departments, stands out in the corporate area for his focus on protecting the economic interests of local and foreign investors. The team was further strengthened in September 2021 with the arrival of Patricia Núñez Jáquez from Estrella y Tupete, Abogados, as a junior partner; in addition to her corporate practice she also handles real estate and arbitral matters.
‘The DMK team is extremely available during operations. They work with the utmost rigour and under great pressure.’
‘Andrés Ceara has great knowledge of the Dominican legal system. The involvement of the partner at all times is undoubtedly one of the keys to DMK’s success.’
Senator Hotels & Resorts
- Acted as local advisor in connection with the $15.8bn acquisition of Tiffany by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton; assisted Tiffany in corporate and tax matters related to the transaction.
- Providing legal assistance to Marriott International in the process of legally validating new hotel franchises in the Dominican Republic by executing the local due diligences for corporate, regulatory, tax and real estate property matters.
- Acting as local counsel to an international company in the energy sector acting as a buyer in a €120M acquisition.
ECIJA DVMS's corporate team has distinguished itself in recent years through its work on a series of successful corporate and M&A projects. Highlights included international acquisition projects worth up to $8.1bn and the team's assistance on the implementation of first-of-their-kind IPOs, securities offerings, as well as tourism and sports-related matters. The group is co-led by Polibio Valenzuela, who is especially known in the hospitality and consumer products industries, and Gabriel Dejarden, who has an extensive transactional practice and focuses on the hospitality, financial services and sports sectors. The firm also operates ECIJA Tech, which aims to help clients in the digitalisation process through the implementation of legal tech and cybersecurity solutions. In the same area, it also carries out pro bono work under the campaign #Digital4All.
Polibio Valenzuela; Gabriel Dejarden
‘A multidisciplinary team, with a high capacity to organise its projects, and that manages with efficiency, seriousness, and great capacity for resource management.’
‘It is a firm of highly trained people, who combine professionalism, experience, quality of service, at reasonable prices.’
Stewart Title Latin America
Asset Wealth Management
CCI Puesto de Bolsa
Pfizer Central America & Caribbean
Apple Leisure Group
St. Louis Cardinals
Inter-American Investment Bank
Grupo Lácteo del Caribe
Oikocredit Ecumenical Development Cooperative Society
- Assisting Stewart Title Latin America in the design and implementation of the strategy required to undertake the foreclosure of 442 real estate properties and to collect a $364m debt.
- Assist Mullen Real Estate Holding in the negotiation of an agreement for the sale and purchase of membership interests in Aqua Caribe Cooperatief, and its transaction documents, as the ultimate holding company of the Zoetry Aqua Hotel in Punta Cana.
- Assisting Lopeyano in the negotiation of a joint venture with Empresa Cigari, for the development of a water bottling plant to serve the local and regional markets.
The corporate team at Cáceres Torres assists companies in relation to commercial agreements, with a particular focus on the construction, real estate and restaurant sectors. Franchise, distribution and leasing agreements as well as supply contracts, financial operational investments, project financing and joint ventures are all among the firm's areas of specialism. The team is particularly appreciated for its negotiation capabilities and its experience in cross-practice and cross-border projects. Founding partner Rafael Cáceres stands out for his niche knowledge of the mining sector. Corporate practice head and managing partner Juan Manuel Cáceres focuses on M&A, reorganisations, consolidations and liquidations.
Juan Manuel Cáceres
‘Knowledge, speed of service and flexible fees.’
‘Leyka Perez is very quick in responses.’
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Zenith Crop Science
Corporación Multi Inversiones
Molinos del Ozama
Grupo Industrial Alimenticio
Universal Music Colombia
- Assisted an important Dominican group in a real estate patrimonial reorganisation plan, which involved the constitution of the corporate structure and the establishment of a trusteeship agreement.
- Advised a Dominican company on the corporate and real estate due diligence for the negotiation of a joint venture agreement.
- Advising Universal Music on Dominican Republic regulations for the implementation of international TV show The Voice.
Acting throughout the region, EY Law Central America has a complete team in the Dominican Republic, with key specialisations in M&A, both local and transnational, and tax. Despite the halt caused by the pandemic, during 2020 and 2021 the firm was able to act on a number of transactions, notably in the cement, telecoms, power and electricity, and consumer goods sectors. In particular, practice head Thania Gómez assisted the Linda Group in a highlight transaction in the energy sector, in connection to the management of the country's electricity generation. Restructuring also played an important role for the team, which notably includes associate Julio César Muñoz.
Consorcio Minero Dominicano
Etermar Engenharia e Construçao
Inclam Group Water Engineering
J. Fortuna Constructions
- Lead the process and negotiated, on behalf of Ingeniería Estrella, a credit agreement for the reorganisation of the client’s debt structure in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised, lead and negotiated, on behalf of the Linda Group, as buyer, in the process of the acquisition of ITABO, the electricity generating company AES Dominicana Group.
- Advised Acero Estrella on the issuance of private bonds in the Dominican Republic capital markets for an amount up to $50m.
JJ Roca & Asociados
JJ Roca & Asociados' key differentiator is the breadth of its corporate practice. The team is made up of transactional attorneys, who assist clients in a significant number of areas, including the financial, real estate, health and media sectors, among others. M&A, reorganisations, corporate structures and distribution agreements are covered in the group's offering. Jaime Roca and Sharin Pablo de Roca co-head the practice, both focusing on foreign investment, debt renegotiations and contracts.
Jaime Roca; Sharin Pablo de Roca
‘Very personalised and timely treatment. Very friendly but at the same time with a lot of professionalism.’
‘They give personalised follow-up to the cases.’
‘Jaime Roca is characterized by being an inquisitive person in terms of the level of detail that he puts in each subject that he handles, at the same time he makes the relationship full of trust and even friendship.’
‘Sharin Pablo, Jaime Roca and Ashley Gomera are very professional and work closely with the client.’
Communicate to Connect
Kaeser Compresores de la República Dominicana
One Child Matters
Joni & Friends
- Advising Futurad in the preparation of a legal strategy for its entrance into the Dominican market.
- Designing Earthport’s exit strategy, advising on all aspects of the same and dissolving its local corporate entity.
- Advising Communicate to Connect in agreements with national and international third-party service providers.
Raful Sicard Polanco & Fernández
Raful Sicard Polanco & Fernández is especially recognised for its prowess in the aviation industry, and it is also engaged in significant projects in the telecoms, shipping and maritime, and real estate sectors. Hilda Polanco specialises in telecoms regulation, securities law and project finance, and Sara Sicard stands out for acting in cargo and environmental claims on behalf of maritime claims adjusters, as well as in real estate transactions. Labour expert Ernesto Raful often advises industrial free zone companies, while María Esther Fernández specialises in particular in the transportation and aviation sectors.
Ernesto Raful; Sara Sicard; Hilda Polanco; María Esther Fernández
‘The members of the corporate team offer the entire spectrum of representation that a corporation may need, as they offer complete representation in contractual and corporate matters in all operations carried out by the group, as well as specialising in other areas that allow expansion of the scope of the advice provided’.
‘Specialisation, quick responses, availability of its staff and effectiveness in the work it performs. It is a team that provides meticulous, effective work, with high competence in corporate and commercial matters.’
‘Sara Sicard is effective, fast, thorough and specialised in the maritime area.’
‘Laura Méndez is an associate lawyer who stands out in the commercial and corporate area for her proactivity and her quick and effective responses.’
Zona Franca Industrial Las Américas
Centro de Medicina Avanzada Dr. Abel González
Phillip Morris Dominicana
Bolsa y Mercado de Valores de la República Dominicana
Asociación de Empresas Couriers de la Republica Dominicana
Amazon Web Services
Asociacion de Lineas Aereas
Grupo Boluda Fos Corporation
Beaumont & Son
Allianz Global Insurance Company
- Assisted the executive branch of the American Chamber of Commerce in the Dominican Republic with the evaluation of the economic measures that would be necessary to implement for the reactivation of the economy of the country, including tax measures and trade facilitation.
- Assisted Visa International in the acquisition of Yellow Pepper, a fintech pioneer operating in several markets in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Assisted the Airline Association ALA in monitoring the situation of the pandemic along with the governmental institutions of the Dominican Republic related to air transport activity.
Ulises Cabrera Abogados‘ corporate team, which has seen significant growth in recent years, now includes a number of experts with skills to cover all the main areas of corporate law, including M&A, project development and acquisition finance but also tax, public procurement and distribution. Key professionals include Ulises Cabrera, whose longstanding experience is particularly appreciated in the corporate, real estate, family law and litigation fields; José Cruz Campillo, who acts as managing partner and also takes on a workload in connection to contract law and foreign investments; and ‘excellent lawyer‘ Monica Villafaña, who is a key advisor to multinational companies in corporate reorganisation processes, free trade zone matters and joint ventures.
Ulises Cabrera López; José Cruz Campillo; Monica Villafaña
‘Totally committed to the client, and the consultations are in accordance with global guidelines.’
‘They are committed to the client and with a high sense of responsibility. They have extensive knowledge in corporate and regulatory matters.’
‘Mónica Villafana is an excellent lawyer who is always available to answer a question. Response time is very fast.’
Asociación Popular de Ahorros y Préstamos
Auto Europa – Porsche Center Santo Domingo
Corporación de Servicios Financieros y Alianzas
Envirogold Las Lagunas Limited
Fresenius Medical Care
Holsum de República Dominicana
Inversiones y Negocios
Zona Franca Industrial Las Americas
- Representing Dufry in a merger process.
- Advising Siemens Energy in closing a carve-out process before the Dominican Tax Department and completing all steps to locally launch the new name Siemens Energy.
- Assisted Zona Franca Industrial Las Américas with the drafting and negotiations of an engineering procurement and construction agreement for the second stage of an industrial building within the free zone park.
The corporate team at Alburquerque Abogados – Consultores is particularly active in the tourism, hospitality and retail industries. Clients from these sectors receive a comprehensive service that includes advice on tax and real estate matters, among other specialisation. More generally, managing partner José Alburquerque Prieto is noted for his experience in mergers, strategic alliances and company restructurings; the highly-regarded Gina Hernández Vólquez co-leads the department, which additionally assists with the implementation of commercial strategies, the formation of new entities and company liquidations.
José Alburquerque Prieto; Gina Hernández Vólquez
‘This is a multidisciplinary team that covers the legal areas necessary for any company. It is a young team with great customer orientation and very accessible. Response times are optimal as well as access to the necessary professional. Good communication with clients, advice on laws and legal processes.’
‘The partners are personally involved in each case, they meet with the clients, they are always available by phone or in person to clarify any doubts about the case they are handling.’
‘The teams are very professional and resolve the mandates entrusted to them with an always positive attitude.’
‘Gina Hernández is super attentive and available.’
‘Laura Polanco is a very good litigator, expert in procedural law. José Manuel Alburquerque has a lot of experience and contacts.’
Banco De Sabadell
Aqualandia Punta Cana
Imagine Punta Cana
New Line 2000
Pernod Ricard Dominicana
Inversiones Azul del Este Dominicana
World 2 Fly
- Advising international hotel chain Inversiones Azul del Este Dominicana on several corporate matters including advice regarding the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Represented Calzados Paris regarding the dissolution of a corporate group, including exchange of stocks and real estate properties of the company as part of the business group separation process.
- Provided legal assistance with the process of dissolution and liquidation of Turística Yara-Ri Dominicana.