Accura Advokatpartnerselskab is regularly instructed on high-end real estate and M&A transactions involving complex tax dimensions, for which it collaborates closely with the firm’s relevant departments. Jointly led by Poul Erik Lytken and Heidi Flint, the team is singled out for its expertise in complex corporate structures, with additional experience in indirect tax issues including VAT and management incentive plans. In 2020, Christopher Erik Oldenburg joined the team as a director from Kromann Reumert.
Tax in Denmark
Poul Erik Lytken; Heidi Flint
Other key lawyers:
Christopher Erik Oldenburg
‘Very creative in solving problems and handle complicated cases and situations. But always observe a high ethical standard.’
‘Poul Erik Lytken is always helpful, accessible and good at solving problems. You feel in safe hands when you involve Poul Erik Lytken.’
‘The team is very experienced and theoretically strong in M&A tax.’
‘I know Poul Erik Lytken to be a particularly strong, pragmatic and commercially minded tax partner.’
‘Poul Erik Lytken and his team is outstanding and market leaders within tax. The team have been involved in a number of high-end transactions over the years and the team serves market-leading private equity clients with (often) very complex corporate structures which require high-end expertise on the tax side.’
‘Poul Erik Lytken has great industry knowledge and is without doubt a rising star in the market of corporate tax. He is heading Accura’s tax team with great expertise and is key to the success of Accura’s corporate practice.’
‘Provides value-adding advice in M&A and real estate transactions and able to challenge the approach and advice provided by the Big 4 audit firms. ’
Nordic Real Estate Partners (NREP)
Spar Nord Bank A/S
H+H International A/S
- Advised Picture Head on its acquisition of Ghost A/S, a market leader within design and production of visual effects for films and series.
- Advised a consortium of two US investment banks and a hedge fund in connection with its bid to acquire a large Danish loan portfolio from a German bank.
- Assisted two Norwegian real estate investors, Hathon Eiendom AS and Havfonn AS, with the sale of a property located at Weidekampsgade 12-16, Copenhagen, to the pension fund KL.
The team at Bech-Bruun, which is led by Thomas Frøbert, covers the full spectrum of contentious and non-contentious tax matters. The group has recently seen an uptick in succession planning work, an area in which Michael Serup ‘is known as one of the best in Denmark’; this includes tax valuation analyses, private succession work and estate planning issues. Frøbert regularly advises clients on indirect taxes, including VAT, customs tax, energy duties and vehicle registration duties. The department also handles the tax aspects of M&A transactions and contentious proceedings including transfer pricing litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Serup; Jakob Krogsøe
‘Michael Serup is known as one of the best in Denmark when it comes to handling generational change/succession planning. The cases are handled extremely professionally and competently.’
‘Jakob Krogsøe is very pleasant and skilled regarding the Danish Lønsumsafgift, which is a Danish tax related to the company’s payroll expenses.’
‘The ability to communicate something highly complex in an understandable way and secure that the plan is executed to the satisfaction of the client is a well-known fact about Bech-Bruun/Michael Serup.’
A.P. Møller Mærsk
Total E&P Danmark A/S
Modern Times Group
Danish Family Business Network “Vækst i Generationer”
Danish Agriculture & Food Council
- Advising Danish family-owned business network Vækst i Generationer on Danish Government legislation regarding reduced taxation of the succession of Danish family-owned businesses, including protection of legal rights in connection with the valuation of such businesses.
- Advising the Danish Agriculture & Food Council on the detailing of the principles of future tax assessment of real estate with respect to succession taxation.
- Represented KPC in a pilot VAT case before the ECJ which defined what is necessary to constitute a ‘building’ and thus be VAT exempt.
Experienced in litigation and transactional issues, the ‘very strong tax team’ at Kromann Reumert has ‘strong knowledge of corporate law matters’, most notably the tax dimensions of M&A, capital markets transactions and restructurings. VAT issues, transfer pricing work, tax strategy mandates and litigation proceedings related to direct and indirect tax are other key pillars of the practice. Department head Arne Møllin Ottosen has extensive experience before the Danish Tax Tribunal and the Danish Supreme Court, while Michael Nørremark is praised for his corporate taxation capabilities.
Arne Møllin Ottosen
Other key lawyers:
‘Arne is that kind of lawyer you would like to have at your side when getting into rough seas.’
‘Very strong tax team with strong knowledge of corporate law matters. They manage to convey matters of high complexity in an understandable and down-to-earth method.’
Danske Bank A/S
- Advised Ørsted on the sale of its power distribution business.
- Advised Nets A/S on the sale of its account-to-account payment business to Mastercard.
- Acted for Adecco A/S before the Supreme Court in a principal transfer pricing matter.
The team at Lundgrens represents clients in tax litigation and also provides the full spectrum of tax advisory services. In particular, the group ‘is extremely well versed‘ in the full range of direct and indirect tax issues, including the restructuring of companies, transaction structures and international tax planning issues. Anders Oreby Hansen focuses on transfer pricing matters. Jakob Schilder-Knudsen joined DLA Piper Denmark in mid-2021.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Amstrup; Anders Oreby Hansen
‘On-time response. Great at listening and understanding the issue from the client perspective. Great at breaking down complex info into easily understandable facts.’
‘Fast response, solid advice, proactive on new developments and timely on standards.’
‘Great people, substantial business knowledge and experienced specialists.’
‘The firm covers a wide range of experiences and knowledge, in areas that are essential for us. So far they have covered all the legal matters that we have had.’
‘Anders Oreby-Hansen is our go-to for most legal matters. He is our trusted adviser and has been so for years. He combines excellent business understanding with an equally excellent level of legal expertise. A true pleasure to work with.’
‘The Lundgrens team is extremely well versed in the subject matters they have addressed for us. Highly professional and knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Exceptionally professional and personable, clearly makes them stand out above their peers.’
The Bank of Nova Scotia
H+H International A/S
Patrizia Multi Managers A/S
Codan Forsikring A/S
Norwegian Energy Company ASA (Noreco)
Savara Inc. US
- Assisted Waterland, Founders and more than 90 managers in seven jurisdictions with the sale of Dutch headquartered multinational digital marketing group Dept Digital Agency to Carlyle.
- Assisted Angelo Gordon Realty Acquisitions with a complete tax and VAT due diligence during its acquisition of the property Hauser Plads 20, in inner-central Copenhagen.
- Assisted Ekistics Property Advisors with its first investment in Denmark, the €60m acquisition of a multi-let office and data centre located in Ballerup.
Jointly led by Hans Severin Hansen and Lasse Esbjerg Christensen, Plesner possesses an ‘extremely strong and experienced’ tax litigation practice, with a notable track record in high-value direct tax and transfer pricing cases. The group's expertise also encompasses the tax aspects of cross-border M&A, restructurings, incentive schemes, estate planning issues and capital market transactions. Tom Kári Kristjánsson focuses on EU and Danish cases concerning VAT, customs duties and excise duties, while ‘excellent professional’ Søren Lehmann Nielsen specialises in transfer pricing work. Jef Nymand Hounsgaard is also highly regarded.
Lasse Esbjerg Christensen; Hans Severin Hansen
Other key lawyers:
Tom Kári Kristjánsson; Søren Lehmann Nielsen; Jef Nymand Hounsgaard
‘Only seldomly, advisers are so well versed in our company that they can manage matters in their entirety. We work with Søren Lehmann on such a matter, and throughout this process, he’s been great and really driving it.’
‘Søren is extremely smart, has a very steady hand (doesn’t just lay out the options but articulates clear advice as well) and, despite the fact that this case has been going on for years, has never lost his energy and drive. A truly excellent professional.’
‘They really work as a team from partners to associates – partner attention is extremely high.’
‘Lasse Esbjerg Christensen is an outstanding lawyer that has been able to process a significant amount of complex case material into a winning case in the High Court.’
‘Very strong within tax litigation and in dialogues with tax authorities.’
‘Lasse Esbjerg Christensen is best in class and has a very strong team together with Hans Severin Hansen in tax litigation. Very strong competencies within transfer pricing. Very professional approach.’
‘Extremely strong and experienced litigation team.’
‘Jef Hounsgaard is very skilled, bright and a pleasant individual to work with.’
‘Jef Nymand Hounsgaard is extremely “available” and pleasant to work with. Jef has superior tax technical knowledge and is able to combine multiple variables in a very complex tax environment.’
Novo Nordisk Group
A.P. Moller – Maersk Group
ECCO Sko A/S
Codan Forsikring A/S
British American Tobacco
Johnson Controls Group
Nordea Bank Group
- Represented a number of clients including NetApp and Takeda Pharmaceuticals in the so-called beneficial owner tax cases concerning withholding tax on dividends and interest
- Advised The Danish Central Bank, Danske Bank, Nykredit, Nordea, Jyske Bank, Jyske Realkredit, and LR Realkredit on the sale of 70% of the shares in VP Securities (the Danish Central Securities Depositary), as well as a procedure of pre-emption.
- Representing DGL in the Supreme Court in a case concerning a waste disposal fee.
The tax group at DLA Piper Denmark is headed up by Artur Bugsgang, who has considerable expertise in advising on taxes relating to foundations and trusts, double taxation issues, income taxes and vehicle registration taxes. The group is particularly active in indirect tax mandates involving customs duties and VAT, most significantly in tax litigation and arbitration proceedings before the tax authorities and the European Court of Justice. Former practice head Line Kjær left the department in mid-2020 to join KPMG Law in Denmark, while Jakob Schilder-Knudsen and director Mario Fernandez joined from Lundgrens in mid-2021.
Other key lawyers:
Claus Holberg; Jakob Schilder-Knudsen; Mario Fernandez
‘I found the level of communication (in a language I could understand) and pro-activeness very reassuring.’
‘Knowledgeable, creative and yet fully in conformity with the law. ’
FF Skagen A/S
Danish Car Importers Association
Foreningen Kræv licensmoms tilbage
Danish Ministry of Taxation
- Advising the Danish Car Importers Association on a continuous basis, including preparing replies to public consultations on government bills.
- Acting for Æbleplantagen ApS in a dispute before the National Tax Tribunal on questions of principle regarding VAT deductibility on immovable property and regarding the right to opt for voluntary VAT registration of rental of immovable property.
- Representing members of Foreningen Kræv licensmoms tilbage in a class action against the Danish Tax Ministry regarding VAT charged on broadcasting license fees charged by the Danish Public Radio and TV broadcaster.
The team at Gorrissen Federspiel, which is jointly headed up by Jakob Skaadstrup Andersen and Jan Steen Hansen, handles an array of transactional issues, disputes and regulatory work, with particular expertise in VAT and customs duties. Andersen focuses on tax disputes, transfer pricing issues and the tax aspects of M&A transactions, while Hansen is noted for his vast experience in VAT disputes. Corporate tax structuring, incentives programmes and tax litigation concerning withheld taxes are other main areas of focus.
Jakob Skaadstrup Andersen; Jan Steen Hansen
‘Jakob Skaadstrup Andersen has demonstrated a deep knowledge within his area of expertise and he has a profound understanding for and ability to meet the client’s needs for pragmatic solutions without ever compromising any legal or ethical quality. Further, he is easy to reach and very pleasant to work with on a personal level.’
A.P. Møller Maersk
The Coca-Cola Company
Axa Investments Funds
- Representing Apcoa before the Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice in a matter concerning VAT on parking tickets.
- Representing Fidelity Funds before the Supreme Court in a case concerning Danish dividend withholding tax.
- Acting for EAC Invest in a transfer pricing matter concerning deemed interest on inter group receivables.
The taxes and duties department at Horten is instructed by domestic and international clients on a range of VAT and tax issues relating to M&A, corporate reorganisations and employee share schemes. Group head Henrik Stig Lauritsen also advises on the taxation of principal shareholders, the relocation of employees and litigation concerning taxes and duties, while Thomas Booker has expertise in real estate tax issues, including VAT and registration duties for property investors.
Henrik Stig Lauritsen
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Booker; Anne Becker-Christensen
Telco Industries A/S
Catacap Management A/S
Bain & Company
The Danish Cancer Society
- Acting for G4S Plc with respect to its investigation into the possibility that it could separate its cash solution business from the rest of the group.
- Advising Bain & Company on its intention to integrate with the Nordic consulting firm, Qvartz.
- Acting for Spirit Energy as tax adviser regarding the Danish activities in the North Sea owned by the company.
Vistisen Falk Winther
Boutique tax firm Vistisen Falk Winther specialises in tax litigation, particularly acting for taxpayers; it regularly acts for clients in EU tax regulation cases. Jointly led by Christian Falk Hansen and Eduardo Vistisen, it is experienced in vehicle taxes, employment-related taxes, financial taxes and taxes relating to the establishment of subsidiaries.
Christian Falk Hansen; Eduardo Vistisen
Jointly headed up by Christian Bachmann and Diana Mønniche, BACHMANN PARTNERS handles a variety of regulatory tax compliance, VAT, estate and succession planning, EU law, and customs and excises matters. Mønniche also frequently advises on vehicle registration tax mandates, while Backmann has acted for clients in dispute resolution before the Danish National Tax Tribunal, the Danish courts and the Supreme Court.
Christian Bachmann; Diana Mønniche
‘In-depth expertise on Danish tax-related matters.’
‘Very strong in tax issues. Working very efficient and fast. Reply very quickly.’
‘They are very analytical on cases. They are innovative and they keep searching for good solutions.’
Spearheaded by Nikolaj Bjørnholm and Bodil Tolstrup, tax litigation boutique Bjørnholm Law acts for an assortment of domestic and international corporations, venture funds, trade unions and individuals in direct and indirect tax cases. Coupled with the firm’s Supreme Court experience, the department regularly appears before the Danish Tax Tribunal. The team has also recently seen an uptick in complex transfer pricing cases.
Nikolaj Bjørnholm; Bodil Tolstrup
- Representing a member of HK Danmark in an appeal before the Supreme Court relating to a High Court decision as to whether a supplemental compensation for an unlawful termination by an employer of an apprentice should be taxed as salary or as a tax-free compensation for the defamation caused for the apprentice.
Bruun & Hjejle’s practice encompasses complex transactional tax advice and tax-related disputes. Contentious-wise, the department acts for clients in cases concerning corporate tax issues, transfer pricing work, VAT and other duties. From a non-contentious viewpoint, it frequently handles tax issues relating to M&A, private equity transactions and venture fund formations, and the structuring of alternative investments.
‘I know that I will get an answer to my questions. The theoretical knowledge is at a very high level.’
‘The team is very easy to work with and likeable. They are there for you when needed. ’
‘High experience and skills. Good at the communication of complex tax-rules and practice.’
‘You get high-level partner attention, always available, the partner knows your case in details and can answer your questions right way. Further, they find the problems and the solutions that are operationally optimal – most others just present the problems and not the solutions.’
Vækstfonden / The Danish Growth Fund
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
African Infrastructure Partners / A.P. Møller Holding
Alm. Brand A/S
Saga Private Equity
William Demant Holding A/S
AXA Real Estate Investment Managers
Nordic Investment Opportunities
- Provided tax advice to CIP in relation to the structuring of Copenhagen Infrastructure New Markets Fund I K/S (CI NMF I) as well as on the establishment of the fund CI IV.
- Advising AXA Investment Management on the purchase of a large residential property portfolio from Ares.
- Advised private equity house Five Arrows and investment company LGT Capital Partners on the acquisition of VIA equity fund III from the major Danish pension funds PFA and ATP.
KPMG Law in Denmark's tax practice is jointly led by Stine Andersen and Line Kjær, who both joined in 2020 from Kromann Reumert and DLA Piper Denmark respectively. Andersen has expertise in EU and international tax law issues, including transfer pricing cases, valuation matters and alternative tax disputes. Clients praise indirect tax expert Kjær as 'an outstanding customs lawyer' with additional experience in VAT and excise duty work.
Stine Andersen; Line Kjær
‘The team has experts within areas of relevance to our company – relating to import and export of goods.’
‘Line Kjaer is an outstanding customs lawyer. She is one of the best customs lawyers in Europe.’
‘Highly recommend Stine Andersen, who has depth and experience in navigating complex legal and tax issues through all phases of audit and litigation. Incredible professionalism and creative, thorough legal analysis and advocacy skills.’
Danish Ministry of Taxation
Poul Schmith exclusively handles tax matters for the Danish State and its tax authorities. Recent work includes the drafting and implementation of new tax regulations, advice on excise law issues and assistance with contentious matters. Practice head Steffen Sværke advises on both direct and indirect taxation issues.
Noted for its VAT knowledge in particular, NJORD Law Firm primarily handles contentious and non-contentious matters concerning indirect taxes. The group is headed up by Robert Mikelsons, who has a notable track record in negotiating and litigating VAT cases before the Supreme Court and the EU Court of Justice. In addition, the practice assists clients with the tax implications of M&A, corporate structures and restructurings, inbound investment structures and incentive programmes.
Other key lawyers:
René Lykke Wethelund; Niels Gade-Jacobson
‘Very broad practice areas and strength in depth. High calibre lawyers who are dedicated to achieving an exceptional outcome for their client.’
‘Robert Mikelsons and Niels Gade-Jacobson are both highly knowledgeable and effective.’
ABN Amro Group
Ress Life Investments
Parken Sport and Entertainment
- Advising Liechtenstein Foundation on a restructuring in relation to changes in the tax residence of council members and beneficiaries.
- Assisting a major investment fund with the examination of the structures and legal framework of a number of infrastructure funds.
- Advising 45 individuals on their participation in a VAT-exempt cross-border scheme for yachts.