Accura Advokatpartnerselskab‘s tax department works closely with the firm's M&A and real estate teams to advise on high-value transactions. Newly promoted partner Poul Erik Lytken leads the direct and indirect tax group and Heidi Flint heads up the real estate tax team. The group is regularly instructed by private equity and venture capital clients and is considered to be ‘a market leader within the field of property taxes’; the team also handles contentious tax mandates.
Firms in the Spotlight Tax
Tax in Denmark
Poul Erik Lytken; Heidi Flint
Other key lawyers:
Christopher Erik Oldenburg
‘The Team understands business and has its core competencies with M&A and real estate transactions. The Team is a market leader within the field of property taxes where they are simply second to none.’
‘Heidi Flint is “Ms property tax of Denmark” and rightly so.’
‘The team has increased over the latest year and added additional resources and capabilities. Somehow they manage always to be available and meet any strict deadlines.’
‘Poul Erik Lytken is no longer just a big talent. He is now among the top three tax practitioners from my perspective. He is creative and fast thinking and at the same time very likable and easy to work together with. Due to the significant number of M&A deals running through Accura, Poul Erik has seen a much different structure and is both excellent from a theoretical and practical perspective.’
‘They are moving from up and coming to a more established presence in the market.’
‘Accura’s tax team are outstanding when it comes to transactional tax.’
‘Poul Erik Lytken is a rising star in the Danish tax market.’
‘Knowledgeable, service minded, accessible and overall great to work with.’
Alm. Brand A/S
ATP Ejendomme A/S
Nordic Real Estate Partners (NREP)
- Advised Vestjysk Bank A/S throughout the merger with Den Jyske Sparekasse A/S, including on all tax and structuring aspects.
- Advised Alm. Brand on the tax and VAT aspects of the sale of its banking activities to Sydbank A/S and the post-transaction cooperation between Alm. Brand and Sydbank.
- Advised CataCap in connection with the sale of the turnkey contractor CASA A/S to the German property fund Activum SG.
Bech-Bruun‘s tax department handles the full spectrum of contentious and non-contentious matters. Traditionally focused on tax planning work, the group also has a strong focus on tax controversy matters, VAT mandates, transfer pricing litigation and domestic tax issues. In the area of succession planning, Michael Serup is the key practitioner, handling family business succession work, private client succession issues and estate planning matters. Practice head Thomas Frøbert has a strong international practice, advising clients on VAT and tax duty issues.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Serup; Jakob Krogsøe
‘The team is very good, efficient and responsive.’
‘Thomas Frøbert is uniquely qualified to advise on company tax issues in Denmark. He’s very efficient and professional and has a unique ability to understand our needs.’
A.P. Møller Mærsk
Total E&P Danmark A/S
Modern Times Group
Danish Family Business Network “Vækst i Generationer”
Danish Agriculture & Food Council
Udviklingsselskabet By & Havn I/S
Falck Danmark A/S
Aarhus Kommune, Herning Kommune, Kalundborg Kommune
- Advised Danish network “Vækst i Generationer” consisting of a range of leading Danish family-owned companies in relation to Danish Government legislation regarding reduced taxation of succession of Danish family-owned businesses, including protection of legal rights in connection with the valuation of such businesses, also aiming to remove cross-border discrimination of successors to Danish family-owned businesses.
- Represented Udviklingsselskabet By & Havn I/S in a case of principle matter concerning a question of property registration tax against the Ministry of Taxation before the Supreme Court.
- Assisted alternative asset manager Conquest with all tax advisory services (tax due diligence, tax modelling and tax structuring) in connection with its first Nordic acquisition, a large Danish solar park.
Kromann Reumert is ‘clearly one of the strongest tax law firms in Denmark‘, according to clients. The team advises on domestic and cross-border taxation, including VAT, transfer pricing and incentive schemes. It also has extensive litigation experience, acting in several contentious tax matters before the Danish Tax Tribunal and the European Court of Justice. Practice head Arne Møllin Ottosen is ‘one of the best individuals, if not the best individual’ within tax. Michael Nørremark is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘I regard Kromann Reumert as clearly one of the strongest tax law firms overall in Denmark since at a very high quality level they cover general tax advisory and transactions as well as tax controversy/litigation.’
‘Kromann’s service level, dedication and interpersonal skills are impeccable – they are simply great to work with and they are unique in combining deep tax law expertise with a very practical, down-to-earth, business-oriented approach to clients and matters.’
‘Kromann Reumert is the clear Tier 1 tax law firm in Denmark and their practice leader Arne Møllin Ottosen is broadly recognized as one of the best individuals if not the best individual within the tax world of Denmark. He is available 24/7 and his focus is entirely on the client and on making the client succeed and look good.’
‘In-depth understanding of what is required to act in a very complex set of tax rules.’
‘Michael Nørremark combines his knowledge about tax laws and corporate matters in a way that makes it very useful and impactful as a client.’
‘The Team has a deep knowledge of tax and the capability to translate theoretical issues to practical understanding. They are forthcoming and service-minded.’
‘Arne Møllin Ottosen is a force to be reckoned with within tax – he has a great understanding of tax and the translating of the rules into how they affect your business. At the same time, he is very pleasant to work with.’
Danske Bank A/S
- Advised FLSmidth on its acquisition of thyssenkrupp AG’s mining business.
- Representing Ørsted in the largest Danish transfer pricing matter regarding Ørsted’s offshore wind farms.
- Assisted Blackfin Capital Partners, a French private equity fund, with Danish tax advice regarding its investment in Fokus Asset Management.
The ‘very strong’ tax team at Plesner advises blue-chip Danish and international clients on the full spectrum of tax controversy and advisory work, including transfer pricing, estate planning and incentives schemes. It is particularly prominent within tax litigation; this is reflected in the experience of Hans Severin Hansen, practice head Lasse Esbjerg Christensen, who acts in high-profile and complex beneficial owner and transfer pricing cases; Tom Kári Kristjánsson, who has extensive experience before the European Court of Justice; and Jef Nymand Hounsgaard .
Lasse Esbjerg Christensen
Other key lawyers:
Hans Severin Hansen; Tom Kári Kristjánsson; Søren Lehmann Nielsen; Jef Nymand Hounsgaard
‘Very strong tax team, and in particular within tax litigation.’
‘Søren Lehmann is a super person – you can rely on the knowledge that the case will be solved in the best possible way.’
‘They are truly outstanding, and have the rare ability to completely handle a case and offer very clear strategic advice.’
‘They have a team that works like clockwork, which supports the overall output of the work product being absolutely best in class and outstanding.’
‘Jef Hounstrup as the up and upcoming partner significantly contributed with his high cognitive skills and great business insight.’
‘Impressed by the way the partners work together in teams on large litigation cases. No other Danish law firm can offer such experienced teams to litigate complex tax cases.’
‘They draw on their superior litigation experience to identify solutions that will withstand governmental as well as public scrutiny, and – when relevant – utilise their vast network within the tax authorities for solution-oriented informal discussions.’
‘Lasse Esbjerg Christensen – is unique in the way he balances business support in a technical and yet crisp and clear way. Lasse is highly praised for his litigation skills and is involved in some of the biggest tax litigation cases in Denmark.’
A.P. Moller – Maersk Group
British American Tobacco
Codan Forsikring A/S
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
ECCO Sko A/S
Group 4 Securicor
Johnson Controls Group
Nordea Bank Group
Nordic Investment Opportunities
Saga Private Equity
- Representing taxpayers before the Danish high courts concerning withholding taxes on dividends and interest following the beneficial ownership CJEU judgments.
- Assisting GF Forsikring A/S and GF IT A/S with the ground-breaking question of whether the tax authorities can set aside a legally established VAT group due to alleged abuse of the rules.
- Assisted Tryg A/S on its acquisition (together with Canadian Intact) of the multinational RSA group which included integrations between the very complex initial cross-border tax and legal structure analyses during the planning of the transaction.
Led by the ‘outstanding’ Jakob Schilder-Knudsen, DLA Piper Denmark handles the full gamut of tax law issues, including the structuring and tax optimisation of national and international alternative investment projects. The group has an indirect tax sub-team that includes Merete Andersen and Mario Fernandez, who is considered to be ‘one of the leading VAT and indirect tax lawyers in Denmark’, with a strong track record in advising on the indirect tax elements of M&A transactions. For corporate tax and vehicle registration tax issues, Artur Bugsgang is recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Artur Bugsgang; Claus Holberg; Mario Fernandez; Merete Andersen
‘Jakob Schilder-Knudsen and Mario Fernandez are both outstanding tax and VAT advisers. They have expertise that is second to none in the Danish market.’
‘Deep market knowledge and always available.’
‘Mario Fernandez is one of the leading VAT and indirect tax lawyers in Denmark.’
‘Jakob Schilder-Knudsen is in my opinion the best tax lawyer in Denmark. He has in-depth knowledge of transaction-related taxes and has a pragmatic and solution-oriented approach.’
‘Jakob Knudsen is without a doubt one of the most competent lawyers I have ever come across.’
Patrizia Multi Managers A/S
Savara Inc. US
The Bank of Nova Scotia
BlackFin Capital Partners
- Assisted Trinseo with its €1.1bn acquisition of Arkema’s polymethyl methacrylates and activated methyl methacrylates businesses.
- Assisted Mdundo.com with its successful IPO to the Nasdaq First North stock exchange in Copenhagen as well as its pre -IPO restructuring of the group.
- Assisted the real estate fund Angelo Gordon with its acquisition of a Danish property Bådehavnsgade 36 and 38 and the tax and VAT structuring of a 50,000 sqm building and subsequent renting project.
Representing major multinationals in tax controversies, Gorrissen Federspiel is prominent in tax litigation as well as the tax elements of M&A and real estate transactions. Led by Jakob Skaadstrup Andersen, the group is well-regarded for its work on international tax and cross-border mandates, particularly in reorganisations and fund establishments in the Nordic region, the UK and the US. The growing team has seen a number of new arrivals, including former co-head of international tax and transaction services at Ernst & Young, Niclas Holst Sonne and Jesper Anker Howes, who joined from an in-house role at Maersk Tankers, where he was global head of tax. Jan Steen Hansen is another key practitioner.
Jakob Skaadstrup Andersen
Other key lawyers:
Jan Steen Hansen; Niclas Holst Sonne; Jesper Anker Howes
‘Good pragmatic approach to litigation.’
‘Availability and insight to the shipping industry and specific tax issues in that relation.’
‘High focus on people and diversity (skills).’
‘Very experienced and knowledgeable team.’
‘Jakob Skaadstrup Andersen – highly professional, deep knowledge within his area of expertise and with a profound understanding for and ability to meet the client’s needs for pragmatic solutions without ever compromising any legal or ethical quality. Further, he is easy to reach, timely and very pleasant to work with on a personal level.’
Vestas Wind Systems
A.P. Møller – Maersk
C Worldwide Asset Management
- Representing Apcoa before the Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice in a landmark matter concerning VAT on parking tickets.
- Acting for EAC Invest in a transfer pricing matter concerning deemed interest on inter-group receivables.
- Advising property developer Heimstaden on tax aspects of the largest real estate transaction in Denmark.
Horten is known for its expertise in various tax law issues, with particular strength in the modelling and implementation of employee share schemes, cross-border taxation issues, M&A tax and tax disputes. Practice head Henrik Stig Lauritsen specialises in incentive programmes, the relocation of employees and general corporate tax, while Thomas Booker leads on real estate tax matters.
Henrik Stig Lauritsen
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Booker; Anne Becker-Christensen
‘Network and interconnectedness in the Danish and Nordic M&A market and industry.’
‘Competence and responsiveness – Henrik Sig Lauritsen.’
‘Thomas Booker – expert-knowledge in the field of property tax. Understanding for the customer, availability and engagement of the partners.’
Telco Industries A/S
Bain & Company
Rudersdal Municipality/Copenhagen Municipality
- Acting as adviser to G4S Plc in respect to its investigation into the possibility that it could separate its cash solution business from the rest of the group and in particular also in connection with its de-listing from Nasdaq OMX Copenhagen.
- Provided tax advice to Barclays with respect to its equity financing business.
- Assisted the sellers in connection with the disposal of Humio Ltd.
KPMG Law in Denmark‘s tax team has a strong focus on dispute prevention and resolution work. It also provides comprehensive tax advice, with indirect tax expert Line Kjær advising on customs, VAT and excise duties as well as issues related to international trade in goods. Kjær jointly leads the practice with EU and international tax law specialist Stine Andersen. The arrival of Casper Guldhammer Jensen from Deloitte Denmark in May 2021 has further strengthened the group’s tax controversy expertise.
Stine Andersen; Line Kjær
Other key lawyers:
Casper Guldhammer Jensen
‘Our collaboration with KPMG Law Advokatfirma has been very satisfactory in every way and we will grant them our greatest recommendation.’
‘The collaboration with Stine Andersen and Line Kjær is completely unique. Stine Andersen and Line Kjær assist with great commitment and understanding of our business, where great emphasis is placed on business arguments and company-specific matters rather than just legal analyses.’
‘Their high professionalism, knowledge and know-how within the duty area.’
‘We are working with Line Kjær and she is very professional. She has huge knowledge and know-how within the duty area and is really adding value. She is a very pleasant person to work with and is really delivering both when it comes to the task and time.’
Spar Nord Bank A/S
Blue Water Shipping
The Danish Ministry of Taxation
Lundgrens has a broad tax practice, advising on both direct and indirect tax issues, including the restructuring of companies and international tax planning work, as well as litigation proceedings. Practice head Nicolai B. Sørensen specialises in tax litigation and criminal tax law, while Michael Amstrup handles cases relating to professional liability for accountants and lawyers in tax-related matters. Anders Oreby Hansen left in June 2021 to join an accounting office.
Nicolai B. Sørensen
Other key lawyers:
Michael Amstrup; Malene Overgaard
‘Malene Overgaard is my go-to Danish tax lawyer – great with clients, very responsive and technically excellent – equally capable on domestic or cross-border matters.’
‘Good coordination within the team in case of absences, very responsive and quick.’
‘Accessibility, solution orientated, problem-solving.’
‘Goal-oriented, good in problem solving, clever, knowledgeable, precise.’
‘Substantial knowledge in international/cross-border tax matters, especially for individuals. Answers promptly with innovative and substantial suggestions. Extremely good collaboration.’
M.J Eriksson Aktieselskab
Stensdal Group A/S
AVN Gruppen A/S
Turkish Airlines Inc.
BRITA Nordic A/S and BRITA GmbH
International Leman Group
HDI Global Specialty SE (part of Talanx Group)
- Advised Stensdal Ejendomme A/S and Constructio A/S on a principal tax case regarding the issue of hired-out labour.
- Advised several US and UK law firms on Danish tax law for high-profile lawsuits in the US and the UK.
- Represented 400 plaintiffs in a principal tax case before the Danish Supreme Court on the existence of debt and non-recourse terms for the plaintiffs.
BACHMANN PARTNERS is known for its expertise in tax issues regarding utility companies as well as motor vehicles. Christian Bachmann and Diana Mønniche jointly lead the practice; Bachmann is an experienced litigator, handling cases before the Danish National Tax Tribunal and the Danish courts, while Mønniche has extensive experience in VAT, customs and excises mandates.
Christian Bachmann; Diana Mønniche
‘Very specialized, efficient, perfect diversity and fair pricing.’
‘They work very dedicatedly. They reply back extremely fast if you have a question.’
‘We benefit a lot from Diana Mønniche’s great knowledge in tax and especially car taxes. Her knowledge is unique and she is extremely good at passing on her knowledge.’
Focusing on tax controversy work, Bjørnholm Law advises on high-end mandates for listed corporate clients. The group is also well-equipped at handling contentious matters, with experienced litigators Nikolaj Bjørnholm and Bodil Tolstrup jointly heading up the practice.
Nikolaj Bjørnholm; Bodil Tolstrup
‘The team really stand out as very knowledgeable and easy to work with. They have the ability to challenge and see matters from different angles adding value for the client. They are very well connected to key stakeholders both within the industry and the authorities ensuring that the latest practice is a key capability.’
‘Nikolaj and Bodil are both superb.’
‘Bjørnholm Law is a boutique law firm with Nikolaj Bjørnholm and Bodil Tolstrup being the partners. Nikolaj has extensive experience within tax law and is very pleasant to work with, listens to what you say and is clear in his recommendations how to progress a case. Bodil also has extensive experience within tax law and is excellent in how she prepares a case. The two of them are an exceptional team you would like to work with!’
‘Nikolaj is a 360 thinker, asks the right questions, is thorough and sharp – he can write, he can talk and is excellent at both. He keeps deadlines and I completely trust the process and the content of the work.’
NJORD Law Firm provides tax and VAT advice on cross-border transactions and international trade issues in the Nordics. The group is led by Robert Mikelsons , who has extensive experience in international tax and VAT claims before Danish courts, including the Supreme Court, and the European Court of Justice. The team is also adept at advising on corporate structures, restructurings and incentive programmes.
Other key lawyers:
René Lykke Wethelund; Niels Gade-Jacobson
ABN Amro Group
Ress Life Investments
Parken Sport and Entertainment
- Providing Liechtenstein Foundations with ongoing advice and negotiations with the Danish Tax Agency in order to be tax compliant in Denmark.
- Advising Dansk Shell A/S on ongoing tax and VAT cases (valued at €16.8m) in the Danish Tax Courts.
- Representing Danish Property Investment Funds in ongoing tax cases (valued at €15 m) in the Danish tax courts.