Tax in Czech Republic
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy's tax team stands out in the market due to its strength in handling the tax aspects of high-value financial transactions and corporate structuring mandates. Jointly led by Michal Dušek and Radek Novotný, the team has experience in domestic and regional matters and draws on the firm's expertise in capital markets, banking and insolvencies. Prokop Verner lends his corporate expertise to the group.
Michal Dušek; Radek Novotný
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (Europe) Limited
Home Credit Group
Tesco Stores CR a.s.
CME Media Services
Kaupthing ehf. (formerly Kaupthing Bank hf.)
- Advised Aegon on the tax aspects of the divestment of its insurance businesses in the Czech Republic and Slovakia for €155m to NN Group.
- Advised the management of Zentiva, the European generics drugs arm of Sanofi, on the structuring of management participation in the post-acquisition period following its divestment to Advent International.
- Advised longstanding client Glencore in relation to the tax aspects of the merger of its Czech operating companies, as well as on the tax aspects of Glencore’s other Czech operations.
Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is well regarded for its expertise in contentious tax matters and international tax planning. Led by Pavel Fekar, the team regularly advises multinational corporations on the tax aspects of domestic and cross-border acquisitions. Eliška Komínková is a senior member of the team and advises on local and European taxation regulations for foreign clients.
‘The tax team has a unique combination of individuals focused on various tax fields with expertise in tax disputes that make them the best choice for solving complicated tax issues.’
‘Pavel Fekar is an experienced tax adviser and lawyer. We appreciate his ability to capture the essence of the problem and come up with a possible solution with an emphasis on the client’s needs.‘
Cogent Communications Czech Republic s.r.o.
Illinois Tool Works
Laird Technologies Inc.
Tesla International B.V.
- Assisted Cogent Communications Czech Republic with corporate income tax compliance issues in the Czech Republic.
- Advising Sony Europe on the transfer of its main headquarters from the UK to the Netherlands as a result of Brexit.
- Advised Tesla on tax matters resulting from setting up an entity in the Czech Republic.
Kocián Šolc Balaštík is praised as being 'very reputable, professional and dedicated' and is experienced in handling heavyweight tax instructions for a multitude of banking clients. Led by the highly-rated Helena Navrátilová and Jan Černohouz, the practice is noted for its experience in international tax planning and restructuring.
Helena Navrátilová; Jan Černohouz
‘Helena Navratilova stands out for her profound expertise in the tax area and extremely dedicated client handling.‘
‘Martin Solc is a heavyweight. He brings authority to the table and is focused on getting results.‘
Rockaway Capital SE a.s.
Český rozhlas (Czech Radio)
Ball Aerosol Packaging CZ
Česká televize (Czech television)
IHI Towers s.r.o.
YIT Stavo s.r.o.
Karlovarské minerální vody, a.s.
O2 Czech Republic, a.s.
Quanta Human Resources CZ s.r.o.
Rockaway e-commerce, a.s.
- Acted for Czech Radio (Český rozhlas) in court proceedings concerning entitlement to a VAT refund.
- Advised Česká spořitelna on the tax implications of a potential real estate-related sale.
- Advice Škoda Auto on the tax aspects of an electric vehicles charging system.
Alfery is noted for advising on high-value and contentious tax matters, particularly with a cross-border element. Led by a trio of partners which includes the highly regarded Jana Alfery, Libuše Šoljaková and Josef Mašek, the full service practice covers international tax planning, the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and disputes. Associates Roman Pecháček and Jana Kotíková have corporate tax experience.
Jana Alfery; Libuše Šoljaková; Josef Mašek
The 'excellent' tax practice at Clifford Chance is skilled at handling large cross-border matters led by corporate partner David Koláček and advises on all tax-related aspects of corporate transactions. Petr Šebesta is noted for his experience in tax litigation and the tax aspects of M&A and restructuring matters. Other key members of the multi-disciplinary team are managing partner Alex Cook, banking and finance expert Miloš Felgr and Emil Holub, who focuses on real estate.
‘Petr Sebesta is very knowledgeable, responsive and able to provide tailor-made solutions during our projects. We value his experience when structuring our M&A projects and financing.‘
Sev.en Energy Group
Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited
CPI Property Group
Goldman Sachs International
J & T Real Estate
Citigroup Global Markets Limited
KPMG Ceska Republika
- Advising Sev.en Energy group on the tax structuring of its cross-border expansion.
- Advising a German subsidiary with ties to its South Korean headquarters in a damages claim based on an apparent tax avoidance scheme of its Czech business partner.
- Advising CTP, a major industrial developer in the CEE, on €1.9bn financing arranged and underwritten by a consortium of six leading banks.
The tax practice at Deloitte Legal s.r.o., advokátní kancelář is particularly skilled in handling of both contentious and non-contentious tax matters. Jointly led by Jan Spáčil and Tomáš Babáček, the team also includes Jiřina Procházková, who is highlighted as the 'best tax lawyer' for her expertise in tax litigation in particular.
Jan Spáčil; Tomáš Babáček
‘The team’s biggest advantage is their effort, flexibility, quick response and knowledge.‘
Praised as 'one of the best choices in a crowded market', the specialist tax team at KempHoogstad provides a full service but retains a focus on the tax aspects of transactions and compliance matters. Jointly led by 'standout partners' Bohdana Pražská and Filip Dostál, the team has a wide roster of international and local clients - some in the legal sector - and advises on the tax issues involved in acquisitions and restructurings.
Bohdana Pražská; Filip Dostál
‘Bohdana Prazska and Filip Dostal are the main points of contact for tax-related work – both are excellent tax advisers, quick to understand the problems at hand and find practical solutions.’
‘The KempHoogstad team consists of several high-profile senior tax advisers, all with a great deal of professional experience and expertise. They are the most experienced tax lawyers and tax specialists on the market. Their capabilities are at the same level as the tax teams at the Big Four accounting firms.‘
‘Filip Dostal is able to provide clear and simple advice in English and has a good knowledge of the UK tax system, which really takes away a lot of the pain of dealing with complex, cross-border tax issues.’
Kinstellar and Linklaters, Europe
Squire Patton Boggs
SAS Autosystemtechnik, s.r.o.
Time Air, s.r.o.
Air Hadida, s.r.o.
Air JFA, s.r.o.
Moore Stephens, s.r.o.
Kovohutě Příbram Nástupnická, a.s.
HSTN Holding s.r.o.
Logex Solution Center s.r.o
ITR Service Limited
Nesemann & Grambeck
JŠK law firm
Y & T Luxury Property Prague Czech Republic
UNIC DSI executive s.r.o. 5 No
European Musical Imports
Svěřenské fondy a trusty, s.r.o.
ZSE Energia a.s.
PRK Partners' team is 'personable, methodical and smart' and advises on the tax aspects of transactions, often cross border matters. Martin Švalbach and Jan Bürger co-head the practice, which regularly acts alongside Bratislava-based Miriam Galandová, who is a key name for multi-jurisdictional tax matters. Martin Kříž is also recommended.
Jan Bürger; Martin Švalbach
‘We are very satisfied working with PRK Partners. They always provide quick, reliable and well-thought-out advice that corresponds to our business needs.’
‘Martin Švalbach always goes out of his way to provide the best service possible.‘
RSJ Investments SICAV a.s.
Engie Services a.s.
Faraday Grid Czech s.r.o.
Mr. Milan Millner
TCP Cloud a.s. (now Mirantis Czech a.s.)
- Advising Lexington on the tax aspects of the disposal of real estate in relation to the commencement of a development project.
- Assisted Engie Services with the acquisition of a facility management company.
- Assisting Akcenta Group with corporate tax compliance issues, including drafting corporate income tax returns for selected Czech group companies and its foreign permanent establishments.
EY member firm Weinhold Legal provides a 'high-quality service', drawing on the expertise of its wider network. Led by Daniel Weinhold, the team is experienced in advising on the tax aspects of transactions, with support from the wider EY network, and handling tax litigation, where Martin Lukáš and Anna Bartůňková are the key names.
‘The level of service is excellent. Everything is always on time; advice is provided with sufficient business understanding and high-level knowledge. We also appreciate the reasonable price of the services.’
‘Martin Lukáš and Anna Bartůňková are highlighted for their hard work, innovative procedures and professional approach.’
White & Case (Europe) LLP's tax team is led by the experienced Jan Pařík and advises on the tax aspects of transactions, particularly cross-border matters, with a focus on M&A and restructuring. Milan Horák is also recommended.
BMO Real Estate
RCS & RDS Romania
- Advising RCS & RDS (formerly Romanian Cable System & Romanian Data System) on the Czech tax issues of its former Czech subsidiaries.
- Advised BMO Real Estate Partners on the tax aspects of the acquisition of the Diamant business and office centre on Wenceslas Square in Prague.
- Advised Uber on the tax aspects of streamlining the Uber Eats food delivery project in the Czech Republic.
bnt attorneys-at-law handles mid-sized level tax transactions and is singled out for its 'high-level of credibility'. Led by Markéta Pravdová, the team is experienced in audit matters and representing clients before the authorities. Lenka Zachardová is recommended for her advisory services with a focus on corporate tax.
‘Markéta Pravdová is an experienced partner, absolute professional and competent in all legal as well as in tax matters which is still rare.’
‘Lenka Zachardova – her strength is the excellent ability to find optimal tax solution for any client particular issue.‘
German pension fund represented by Zeitgeist Asset Management
Česká EuV Commercial
LKY Logistics CZ
Protipožární Bezpečnostní Systémy
Sinit Kunststoffwerk Louny
Scholz Recycling GmbH
- Ongoing pro bono legal and tax advice to support Cesta domů (The Journey Home) in the field of palliative care in the Czech Republic.
- Regular tax advice and employee training on tax aspects of real estate business in the Czech Republic.
- Ongoing tax advisory, financial and payroll accounting services to Czech subsidiaries of Swiss client; HABA.
Bríza & Trubac is recommended for its vast experience in handling tax disputes. Led by Ondřej Trubač, the practice has represented clients in mid-to-high value matters before the tax authorities. Tomas Hokr is the name for arbitration matters and advisory work for international clients.
Dentons practice is experienced in handling high-value tax disputes for a variety of clients, especially in the energy and banking sector. Led by Petr Kotáb, the team has a mix of contentious and non-contentious work matters with Petr Zákoucký they key name for energy mandates.
Sev.en Energy group (Sev.en EC)
Veolia Group (Veolia Energie ČR, a.s. and Veolia Energie Kolín, a.s.)
- Dentons has successfully represented in a tax dispute over reimbursement of the illegally imposed gift tax onto emission allowances.
- Dentons successfully represented Veolia Energie ČR, a.s. in relation to the payment of interest in relation to the illegally imposed gift tax onto emissions allowances.
KPMG in Czech Republic
KPMG Legal Czech Republic is experienced in handling mid-to-high-value tax litigation for a variety of sector clients. Overseen by Radek Halíček, the practice also handles cross-border compliance matters. Petr Toman is noted for his tax litigation expertise and tax planning.
‘It is the professionalism of individuals that makes the team exceptional.‘
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive Czech s.r.o.
TSR Czech Republic s.r.o.
Komerční banka, a.s.
Global Tungsten & Powders spol. s r.o.
ADM Trading Prague s.r.o.
EP Energy Trading, a.s., EP Commodities, a.s.
Bemett nemovitostní uzavřený investiční fond, a.s.
Československá obchodní banka, a.s.
Generali CEE Holding B.V., organizační složka
Wüstenrot – stavební spořitelna, a.s.
Foxconn CZ s.r.o.
Aufeer Design, s.r.o.
Metrostav Development a.s.
CTP Group a.s
ROWAN LEGAL is experienced in comprehensive advisory work on post-acquisition and restructuring matters for a variety of clients, primarily in the banking and energy sectors. Led by corporate expert Ondřej Křížek, Martin Šubrt is the key name in the practice for post-M&A related tax matters, leading high-value advisory work with support from associate Simona Mlýnek Štursová who provides her corporate tax law expertise.
Central Europe Industry Partners
AVE CZ odpadové hospodářství, s.r.o.
Severočeská vodárenská společnost
Škoda Auto DigiLab s.r.o.
EP Industries, a.s.
EDUA Group, s.r.o.
Dastit management, spol.s.r.o
Roka Industry, spol. s r.o.
BMH spol. s r.o.
Energetický a průmyslový holding, a.s.
AURES Holdings a.s.
Hotel „Paříž“ Praha a.s.
- Advised Central Europe Industry Partners on the tax aspects of the €7.8m acquisition of BMH.
- Assisted EDUA Group with the tax aspects of the €3m acquisition of James Cook Languages by the client.