In spite of its successful growth in to other areas of law, IP work remains the cornerstone of Vukmir & Associates‘ offering to clients and covers the waterfront of contentious and non-contentious matters relating to trade marks, copyright and patents. The ‘exceptional‘ Mladen Vukmir and Carla Biancotti spearhead the team and are ‘recognised as among the best in Croatia‘, with the latter also in charge of the IP filing department and heading up the Italian desk at the firm. At a partner level, Mirjana Jurišić is also a core member of the team, particularly as a result of her experience advising on copyright protection and complicated patent litigation. Other recommended practitioners include ‘exceptionally knowledgeable‘ associate Lidija Gepert, whose broad practice includes advice on internet-related matters (including domain name disputes) and of counsel Aleksandar Bijelic, who has particular expertise in relation to trade marks and design rights.
Intellectual property in Croatia
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm provides a comprehensive range of services in intellectual property protection processes. The services they provided to us were very complex because they initially consisted of developing a trademark protection strategy, then initiating the registration procedures and finally conducting procedures to prove the acquired distinctiveness for trademarks that the Intellectual Property Office considered not to possess a sufficient level of distinction in relation to the products and services for which protection was sought. In all these processes, they showed a high level of knowledge, professionalism and dedication.’
‘The entire team we worked with showed a high level of professionalism and dedication. We would especially emphasise their flexibility and quick response to all our needs throughout the entire cooperation.’
‘They really have a strong IP team, including the leaders the firm, Mr Mladen Vukmir and Ms Carla Biancotti. They are among the best IP specialists in Croatia, and are both very active also in ECTA (European Trademark Association) – Mladen as second vice president of the organisation, and Carla as vice chair of one of the committees. Their IP knowledge and dedication are greatly appreciated by ECTA.’
‘As already mentioned the Vukmir team has two exceptional IP practitioners – Mladen Vukmir and Carla Biancotti. They are really experienced and dedicated IP experts, among the best in Croatia.’
‘We worked with Lidija Gepert, who led the case. She informed us regularly about the relevant facts and led the case on her own initiative. Her knowledge of copyright and Croatian specifics, where local authorities, despite the law, have a poor knowledge of copyright, makes her the right person for this work.’
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
Pliva Hrvatska d.o.o.
Republic of Croatia, Ministry of Agriculture, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
HUZIP – Croatian Performers’ Rights Collecting Society
Jamnica plus d.o.o
OMOLAB KOMUNIKACIJE d.o.o.
The North Face Apparel Corp.
Johnson & Johnson
Nike Innovate C.V.
Reebok International ltd
TOP SPORT EVENTS d.o.o.
INETEC – Institute for Nuclear Technology
MicroBlink / Photomath
PAO Gazprom neft.
Metamorfoza d.o.o. (Museum of Illusions)
Carpmales & Ransford
- Succesfully represented Metamorfoza challenging a decision by the Board of Appeal of the European Union Intellectual Property Office at the General Court of the European Union.
- Advising a private client in relation to legal aspects of establishment and legal regulation of the largest single collection of works of art of one of Croatia’s most renown authors consisting of over 12,000 pieces of art.
- Advising CEFTA on trade related aspects of intellectual property and related rights forterritories of all CEFTA member states.
Divjak Topic Bahtijarevic & Krka provides ‘appropriate advice‘ across a range of IP-related matters for many of the firm’s core roster of large multinational clients, including Google and Heineken. The team also regularly provides related due diligence on M&A matters handled by the firm involving IP rich entities. Team head Olena Manuilenko is at the forefront of the most significant IP-related work handled by the firm across both traditional and digital businesses.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team provides appropriate advice at all times.’
Ultra Enterprises Inc
The Walt Disney Company Bulgaria
Rochester Institute Of Technology (RIT)
Japan Tobacco International (JTI)
- Advising and representing Google in connection with privacy, media, and technology aspects of their business.
- Advising Nomad Foods in the acquisition of 100% shares in frozen foods business owned by Fortenova (the largest Croatian and one of the largest regional food companies, previously Agrokor).
- Regularly advise The Walt Disney Company Bulgaria in the field of IP & TMT, e.g. on legal and regulatory framework for the provision of their services in Croatia, including such issues as non-linear audio-visual services, collective rights management, advertising, protection of minors, GDPR, etc.
Led out of Croatia by Ivan Kos and aided by a pervasive presence throughout Eastern Europe, boutique firm PETOŠEVIĆ is well-placed to advise domestic and international clients on their domestic and regional IP needs. Kos is particularly well regarded in relation to the clearance, prosecution and enforcement of trade marks.
Other key lawyers:
Law firm Vukina & Partners Ltd.
Law firm Vukina & Partners Ltd. provides ‘very commercial and business-oriented’ advice to clients across a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, advising on brand development, as well as brand management, protection, and enforcement. Recognised by one client as ‘one of the best IP lawyers in Croatia’, founder and managing partner Sanja Vukina‘s work includes a significant amount of trade mark matters, including in the context of applications/registration and disputes.
‘They are incredibly responsive and they guide the client through cases with professional and practical advice.’
‘The team is very commercial and business-oriented, always quick with responses and reactions, persistent and resourceful in finding the best solutions.’
‘They display exceptional professionalism and a cordial approach, a high level of competence, speed of response and reaction, very high quality advice.’
‘We always appreciate their support, knowledge of Croatian and EU trade mark law and excellent understanding of international trade mark rules and principles.’
‘Sanja Vukina is definitely one of the best IP lawyers in Croatia.’
‘Sanja Vukina is a pleasure to work with. She is very experienced and extremely professional.’
Atlantic Grupa d.d.
KONZUM plus d.o.o.
CROATIA osiguranje d.d.
Chips Way d.o.o.
Vulin & Ileković d.o.o.
Bruketa & Žinić & Grey d.o.o.
Zvijezda plus d.o.o
- Regularly advising Atlantic Grupa d.d. and its related entities (such as ATLANTIC CEDEVITA d.o.o.) in various intellectual property matters.
- Assisting Konzum, the largest Croatian food retailer, with the handling of their trade mark portfolio.
- Advising CROATIA osiguranje d.d. on two cases of infringement, which at preliminary stage included sending of cease & desist letters and investigation of the available information on infringers (including through correspondence with domain name registrants).
Led by Natalija Perić, Mamic Peric Reberski Rimac Law Firm LLC provides ‘responsive and insightful advice’ to domestic and international clients across the spectrum of contentious and non-contentious matters relating to trade marks, patents and copyright law.
‘The team provides responsive and insightful advice.’
‘The firm has great expertise and provides a quality service.’
Oktal Pharma d.o.o.
Zagreb Stock Exchange, Inc.
LIBURNIJA RIVIERA HOTELI d.d.
Orbico Beauty d.o.o.
Adria Media Zagreb
- Advising Oktal Pharma d.o.o. in several matters regarding intellectual property, including patent investigation and patent protection (including representation of OKTAL PHARMA d.o.o. in the patent protection procedure for a medical drug.
- Advising Styria, one of the leading Media Groups in this part of Europe, with several brands, in various intellectual property matters related to software protection, software solutions and IP rights transfer; and others.
- Advising Zagreb Stock Exchange in intellectual property matters related to copyright, IP rights transfer and data protection law in respect to project of filming a documentary called “30 godina Zagrebačke burze“, as well as providing the client with full legal assistance regarding respective and connected matters with regard to the project.
Matekovic Law Firm
At Matekovic Law Firm, managing partner Krešimir Matekovic has a strong reputation within the pharmaceutical sector and is consequently regularly involved in IP-related matters. In addition, he continues to represent Croatian Radiotelevision in a copyright dispute with Croatian Telecom.
Adriatic Luxury Development Ltd.
ASURA MULTISERVIS d.o.o.
B 4 B d.o.o.
China Dynamics (Holdings) Limited
DTX Handels GmbH
EVEREST SOLUTIONS d.o.o.
Hrvatska radiotelevizija (Croatian radiotelevision)
GEOTHERMAL SOLUTIONS d.o.o.
Luxottica South Eastern Europe Ltd.
Luxottica Group S.P.A.
MAMUT FORTIS d.o.o.
MODULOR d.o.o. BEOGRAD
NOVO NORDISK Hrvatska d.o.o.
PROARH tri d.o.o.
Quada – projekt k.d.
Raiffeisen Leasing d.o.o.
Renesola Zagreb d.o.o.
RL – ETA d.o.o.
RL GAMMA d.o.o.
RL BETA d.o.o.
RL Jankomir d.o.o.
Sanofi Aventis Groupe
SANOFI – AVENTIS CROATIA d.o.o.
SUPER IGRA d.o.o.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals L.t.d.
- Continuing to represent Croatian radiotelevision in a copyright infringement action brought against Croatian Telecom.
- Provided legal support to NOVO NORDISK Hrvatska Ltd. by providing legal advice and opinion regarding copyrights agreements by which the healthcare professionals provide the lecture to the healthcare organisations and patient association and NOVO NORDISK Hrvatska uses these lectures for its own purposes.
Led by Hrvoje Vidan, Vidan Law Office provides ‘highly practical advice’ to clients seeking to protect and exploit their IPR. Ivona Stričak is ‘very reliable‘ and regularly provides IP-related advice.
‘The team provides highly practical advice.’
‘I know Hrvoje Vidan personally as he has done many assignments for my clients. There is not a procedure under the trade mark law that he has not tackled.’
‘The responsive Ivona Stricak is very reliable.’
At Wolf Theiss – Zagreb branch, senior associate Luka Čolić is the main contact for IP work and regularly advises clients on the commercialisation of IPR (including on licensing matters), trade mark clearance and data privacy matters. The office also has venture capital expertise on both the investor and investee side.
Other key lawyers:
Antares Vision SpA
Booster Fuels, Inc.
Ex Works Capital Fund I, LP
Grand Circle, LLC
International Skating Union
Jane Street Europe Limited
Maezawa Fund, Inc.
Menlo Ventures Corporation
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Limited
The 4D Factory LLC
TVS Motor Company
- Advised Menlo Ventures Corporation on its investment into a Croatian start-up Photomath (a fast-growing EdTech company whose mobile app is the #1 app in the world to learn math).
- Advising Booster Fuels, a promising US start-up, on reshaping its commercial relationship with a key supplier of software development services based in Croatia.
- Advised the International Skating Union, the head international federation for ice skating sports, in relation to a preliminary refusal to register their trade mark by the Croatian State Agency Intellectual Property.
Šavorić & Partners is well-versed in advising on standalone IP matters, including trade mark and copyright-related issues, as well as in the context of due diligence on M&A in IP rich industries. Headed by Boris Šavorić, the team also includes senior associate Boris Babić, who has considerable experience handling IP litigation.
Invera Equity Partners
- Advised IKEA on a number of IP-related matters regarding copyright and design rights.
- Advised DECATHLON on a number of IP matters including in regards of copyright and usage of the copyrighted works.
- Advised domestic private equity firm, Invera Equity Partners, on the IP issues associated with its investment in Metamorfoza, a company owning the franchise of the Museum of Illusions worldwide.
Živko Mijatovic & Partners
Acting on its own, as well as frequently as part of a cohesive offering with other practitoners throughout the firm’s SEE-based network of offices, Živko Mijatovic & Partners provides ‘a client-focussed approach to brand protection enforcement and investigation’. Managing attorney Ivana Knezevic has a strong reputation, particuarly in relation to Croatian trade mark prosecution matters.
‘It is a well-organised and efficient firm with a broad range of skills and competencies.’
‘The team has a client-focussed approach to brand protection enforcement and investigation.’
‘The team provides clear, concise and helpful advice.’