Cavelier houses a comprehensive life sciences offering, which encompasses patent, regulatory, and compliance matters. Significantly, the core legal team is supported by a strong band of non-lawyer professionals with specialist expertise across various life sciences fields, including chemistry, chemical engineering and biotechnology. Key contact Andrés Rincón is highly regarded for his focus on patents, plant breeding rights and regulatory affairs. The group also draws on the experience of Jorge Chávarro, who heads the international department, and senior associate Carolina Vargas, who holds an MA in both chemistry and IP law. In July 2022, former regulatory affairs and healthcare compliance head Adriana Durán left to establish her own firm in mid-2022.
Life sciences in Colombia
Jorge Chavarro; Andrés Rincón
‘A study of excellence in both life sciences and intellectual property’, Lloreda Camacho & Co. scores highly with sources for its ‘fast lawyers who are knowledgeable about the life sciences environment and industry’. The firm acts for many of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies, including Gilead, Eli Lilly, and Sanofi, for which it provides interdisciplinary advice on patents, regulatory matters, competition and data privacy, among other issues. Go-to sector specialist Ana María Castro possesses ‘deep knowledge of the pharmaceutical and biotechnology area’ and co-heads the practice together with regulatory-focused partners Enrique Álvarez (who also heads the competition, labour, and data protection teams) and Daniel Cardona.
Ana María Castro; Enrique Álvarez; Daniel Cardona
‘The team is a study of excellence in both life sciences and intellectual property. Its strengths lie in having fast lawyers who are knowledgeable about the life sciences environment and industry, having internal technicians and former Invima officials who give precision and experience to their answers.’
‘Its life sciences lawyers, in particular, are quick to respond and have extensive experience in various aspects related to the industry that come not only from their deep knowledge of regulatory standards but also from being able to complete their vision with previous experience and high strategic vision.’
‘Ana María Castro, Daniel Cardona and Enrique Álvarez stand out. Specifically, Ana María Castro stands out for her deep knowledge of the pharmaceutical and biotechnology area where she is a recognised expert at the national and Latin American level.’
‘The team is of an excellent level; it is highly prepared and led by one of the most knowledgeable patent lawyers in South America, Ana María Castro. A great team.’
‘Ana María Castro is by far the option to consider in Colombia. An excellent professional and very prepared.’
F Hoffman La Roche
Eli Lilly Interamerica
- Advising Gilead Sciences–Gilead Pharmasset on the management of over 1350 patent applications in the Central America, Caribbean and Latin America region (managing its patent portfolio concerning HIV, HBV, HCV, oncological, gastrointestinal and cardiovascular products).
- Advising Incyte Corp on the management of its patent portfolio in Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Panama and Guatemala (involving more than 180 patent applications).
- Advising F Hoffmann-La Roche on the granting of 13 patents of invention related to biotechnology.
OlarteMoure’s premier intellectual property offering supplies the firm with a steady stream of complex life sciences-related engagements. Most notably the group provides ongoing advice to global pharmaceutical corporations such as Pfizer, Novartis and Merck & Co on patent portfolio management throughout Latin America. The team’s signature patent offering is supplemented by strong regulatory and technical expertise, where it can lean on a multidisciplinary team of professionals experienced in chemistry, biology and pharmaceutical chemistry, among other specialisms. High-profile patent specialist Carlos Olarte has a strong record in the pharma and life sciences fields. Other key contacts include patent partner Alexander Agudelo, who holds an MA in pharmaceutical sciences.
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.’ global platform is reflected in its life sciences client roster, which includes multinational names in the medicines, medical devices, diagnosis tests and dietary supplements sectors, among others. The group is particularly active in transactional support matters, while it also handles IP, and regulatory and sanitary issues. IP specialist Juan Pablo Concha Delgado fronts the team and is experienced in commercialisation and advertising regulation, as well as sanctioning processes before relevant regulatory bodies. Intermediate associate Andrés Hidalgo demonstrates ‘extensive experience in regulatory matters’. IP-focused associates Maria Ximena Guavita and Sara Merizalde are also noted.
Juan Pablo Concha
‘Baker Mckenzie’s team is extremely helpful and efficient in responding to complex issues that are affecting the current market. The lawyers in the area, mainly associate Andrés Hidalgo, are knowledgeable in the operation of local authorities in regulatory matters and anticipate the critical issues.’
‘Specifically, the team has supported our company in the transition to nutrition-labelling labels. They also provide a newsflash of information that allows to keep on top of the legal news.’
‘Andrés Hidalgo is a lawyer with extensive experience in regulatory matters, he is extremely knowledgeable in the area and responds to queries in a complete and extensive manner to mitigate risks.’
British America Tobbaco
Super de Alimentos
Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)’s regulatory affairs practice stands out for its ‘relationships with regulatory entities’, which sources say, ‘speeds up the necessary processes’. The group routinely represents domestic and multinational life-sciences' clients on a wide range of industry-specific matters, including regulatory filings, health legislation, drug pricing strategy, and patent applications, among other issues. Experienced senior associate Andrea Pieschacón specialises in healthcare and IP law and co-heads the department alongside Mauricio Jaramillo, who advises on a mix of IP, competition, and data protection.
Mauricio Jaramillo; Andrea Pieschacón
‘According to our experience, the team is differentiated by its customer service and quick attention to our needs.’
‘We recommend the team for its knowledge of the regulations and also for its relationships with regulatory entities, which speeds up the necessary processes.’
Procesadora Nacional De Cereales (Pronalce)
Drypers Andina (Softys)
Beijing Hanmi Pharmaceutical / YP Lee, Mock & Partners
Seipel Group / Partners Law Group
María Fernanda Escobar Vidarte MD and Juan Pedro Kusanovic Pivcevic MD
Fundación Valle Del Lili
Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Colombia
Usana Health Sciences
- Advised Pricesmart Colombia on matters related to its portfolio of cosmetic sanitary registrations in Colombia, among other issues.
- Advised Universidad Católica de Manizales on patent drafting and prosecution matters.
- Advised Pricesmart Colombia on regulatory matters concerning its MuscleMelt product.
The life sciences team at Posse Herrera Ruiz acts for clients across a broad range of industries, with strong recent showings in the medical devices and food and beverage spheres. It also records growing activity in work related to the emerging cannabis sector. The group is co-led by IP specialist Helena Camargo, whose practice focuses on patents, trade marks, copyrights and health registrations and permits. Fellow co-head and senior associate Mónica Bonnett handles a range of IP and health registration issues, with notable expertise in the developing cannabis field. Since research concluded, Bonnett has left the firm - effective as of September 2023.
Wagenknecht IP Law Group PC
Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott
Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott
Bozicevic, Field & Francis LLP
Panamericana de Patentes y Marcas SC
Laboratorios La Santé
- Advised Alliance Vascular Deviles, through Wagenknecht IP Law Group, on the patent prosecution of a medical infusion device.
- Advised Alpina on regulatory matters, including sanitary registrations for food products in Colombia and other LatAm jurisdictions.
- Advised Next Progeny, through Diaz Werchers, on obtaining protection for its blueberry breed.
Aristizabal Abogados Consultores
Aristizabal Abogados Consultores’ focus on the life sciences, regulatory and patent fields is reflected in its impressive client roster, which is dominated by major multinational food and beverage companies, including Mars, Unilever Andina Colombia and Campbell Soup Company. The boutique firm, which also acts for companies in the pharmaceutical, healthcare and technology sectors, advises on the full range of IP, compliance, and regulatory matters. Founding partner Ricardo Aristizabal is the key contact and brings to bear broad experience in IP, regulatory issues and life sciences registrations. Associate Julieth Gutierrez specialises in regulatory and health law.
Master Foods Brazil
Diana Pet Food (Symrise Group)
Campbell Soup Company
ANDI (Asociación Nacional de Empresarios de Colombia)
Unilever Andina Colombia
Green World Colombia
- Advising Mars on the implementation of Resolution 2492, which concerns nutritional front-of-pack labelling.
- Advising Diana Pet Food Colombia on the export protocol for hydrolysed products destined for Chile, before the Chilean and Colombian health authorities.
- Advising Ocean Spray on the implementation of Resolution 2492.
IP specialist Brigard Castro fields a robust life sciences practice that acts for a mix of pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, and food and beverage companies, among others. The team is equipped to advise on the full life cycle of matters, from R&D-related issues, through to regulatory compliance, IP and administrative litigation; while it also stands out for its ability to team up with its sister firm, Brigard Urrutia, on transactional support work. Managing partner Juan Pablo Cadena co-heads the practice alongside trade mark specialist Martín Torres. IP and healthcare senior Laura Ángel Jaramillo is the key contact at associate level. Former group co-head María Fernanda Castellanos left the firm in May 2022.
Juan Pablo Cadena; Martin Torres
Henkel La luz
Philipp Morris International
Ferrero Latin America
- Advised Henkel on documentation review, dossier building and submissions to the health authorities in Colombia and Bolivia; achieving approvals in the timelines required for commercial purposes.
- Advised Ferrero LADM on the management of its portfolio of food products in Colombia
- Advised Teleflex on the management of its portfolio of medical devices products for Colombia, where a total of 53 modifications and 18 new permits were approved, among others.
Buriticá Abogados SAS.
Buriticá Abogados SAS.’ firm-wide focus on health law pays dividends in a strong client list, which is primarily comprised of entities operating in the pharma, medical devices and cannabis spheres. Combining extensive experience in IP and consumer law matters, the team specialises in advising life sciences companies — particularly pharmaceutical laboratories — on regulatory and compliance issues. Department head Raúl Buriticá is a regulatory specialist, with a solid record in advising international life sciences clients on local matters.
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero’s life sciences team ‘provides legal decisions with a high degree of business sense’, according to sources. The group’s emphasis on regulatory work ensures that it is well versed across a range of intellectual property and consumer law, including marketing approval processes, as well as labelling and advertising matters. Life sciences and healthcare head Karl Mutter combines strength in regulatory and IP issues. The practice also draws on associate director Luz Helena Vargas, who is ‘attentive to queries’. In November 2022, associate María Ximena Castellanos left to join Consultoría Regulatoria.
‘The team led by Karl Mutter is highly qualified and specialised and provides legal decisions with a high degree of business sense. The team is familiar with complex regulation issues and has supported us on matters ranging from food regulation, to trade secrets and other intellectual property matters.’
‘Customer service is fast and efficient, and always with a high sense of availability. The cost/quality ratio is undoubtedly an element that makes CMS a key player in the life sciences legal services market.’
‘The team is very dynamic and adapts to the needs of our organisation.’
‘Collaboration is important to us and CMS does its job very well.’
‘Communication is clear and fluid. We have constant contact with Luz Helena Vargas, who is attentive to queries. Due to the time difference, the fact that the team is quick to respond makes internal processes easier for us.’
Super de Alimentos
Les Laboratoires Servier
Luis Felipe Edwards Winery
Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
The Kellogg Company
- Advised Alianza Team on evaluating the impact on labelling and advertisements of new regulations issued by the Ministry of Health establishing frontal label warnings concerning contents of sugar, sodium and fats.
- Advised AB InBev on the implementation of a new manufacturing, market approval and product registration and labelling module, as part of the firm’s evolving software regulatory compliance tool.
- Advised Coltene on various regulatory issues, including import matters.
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas’ interdisciplinary life sciences group sits within the firm’s wider regulatory law practice and focuses on IP, sanitary registrations, health permits,and other regulatory matters. Distinguished by its ability to plug into its extensive international network, the team is a popular choice to advise multinational clients, including companies in the pharmaceutical, cosmetics, and food and beverage sectors. The department is led jointly by Luz Helena Adarve — who also heads the intellectual property, and privacy and cybersecurity practices — and Juanita Acosta, who specialises in IP, privacy, and consumer protection. Since research concluded, the practice has been strengthened with the September 2023 hire of former Posse Herrera Ruiz senior associate Mónica Bonnett as a partner
Juanita Acosta; Luz Helena Adarve
Actavis Group – Islandia
Medion Grifols Diagnostic
Bavaria & Cia
JSS Medical Research Latam
Teva Pharmaceuticals Colombia
- Advised Instituto Grifols on the pharmacological evaluation and renewal of one of its products before the Specialised Chamber of Medicines and Biological Products of INVIMA.
- Advised Medion Grifols Diagnostics on the technical and legal review of documents for application and obtaining the renewal of health registrations before the Sanitary Authority (INVIMA).
- Represented Inmunotek on its request for the renewal of the product ALXOID DUO ÁCAROS before INVIMA.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría advises its life sciences industry clients on a range of IP and regulatory matters, including IP portfolio management, sanitary matters and consumer protection law. Practice co-head Mauricio Patiño is an IP specialist with complementary expertise in competition, TMT and dispute resolution. Fellow co-head Gerardo Flórez, who was elevated to the partnership in January 2023, is noted for his experience in regulatory and advertising law issues. Camilo Suárez, who was promoted to director in January 2023, provides IP-focused support.
Mauricio Patiño; Gerado Flórez
McDermott Will & Emery / Google
Inversiones Glu Vape
- Advised Amgen on various regulatory matters, including on the import of medical devices.
- Advised Compañía Colombiana De Cerámica on the judicial defence of 25 industrial designs.
- Advised Brinsa on the management of its portfolio for foodstuffs and cleaning products, including modifications, renewals, and new applications.