TMT: PRC firms in China
Fangda Partners' group, spread across Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, and working closely with the firm's Hong Kong offices, advises technology companies and financial institutions on transactional and operational issues. The group draws on the significant expertise in M&A and capital markets to advise on a variety of TMT-sector deals. It also utilises expertise in personal information, data protection, cross-border data transmission and network security compliance, as well as intellectual property, to provide a full service to clients. Doris Tang excels in matters involving direct foreign investment, as well as capital markets transactions. Jeffrey Ding focuses on cross-border M&A. Co-founding partner Michael Qi has an active corporate financing practice. The department is led by Amanda Zhou.
Alibaba Group Holding
China International Capital Corporation
China Mobile Capital Holding
CMC Capital and Primavera Capital
- Acted as PRC counsel and provided legal services to Cainiao in respect of a transaction structure, information disclosure obligations of listed companies and other PRC legal matters relevant to this deal.
- Advised Alibaba and YF Capital on its minority equity investment into NetEase Cloud Music
- Advised Alibaba Group Holding in connection with its global offering and listing of its ordinary shares on the Main Board of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong
The team at Global Law Office has significant experience in the TMT space, representing clients in contentious IP issues, and advising on transactional and operational issues, including private equity investments, debt financing, IP licensing and transfer. The group is also well-versed in cybersecurity and data protection compliance. In Beijing, the practice heads are Jinrong Liu and Meph Jia Gui. In Shanghai, the group is led by private equity and venture capital expert Steven Yu and Vincent Wang, who specialises in issues related to technology manufacturing, telecoms and e-commerce. Maggie Meng has significant TMT expertise, particularly concerning regulatory matters, data protection and privacy; she has also built a strong fintech practice.
Loyal Valley Capital
Southchip Semiconductor Technology (Shanghai)
China Resources Microelectronics
Tianjin Jingwei Huikai Optoelectronic
QC House Technology
- Advised Primavera as lead investor on Lufax’s series C financing.
- Advised hina Resources Microelectronics on its IPO on the Shanghai STAR board.
- Advised QC House Technology on a technology and development agreement, as well as IP issues.
Han Kun Law Offices has an impressive TMT sector clientbase that includes Chinese technology giants Tencent, Baidu and JD.com, as well as multinationals including Ericsson. The group is often called upon to advise on corporate transactions (including high-value private equity deals), compliance and litigation matters. Jointly leading the team are Charles Li, Yijun Chao, David Li and Kevin Gao.
- Represented Chinese Classifieds Site 58.com in its US$8.7 billion Take-Private Deal
- Represented the joint sponsors in connection with the HKD 29.8 billion Secondary Listing of JD.com, Inc. on the Main Board of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited
- Represented Guazi.com in its series D financing transaction
At Zhong Lun Law Firm, practitioners are deeply involved in the technology, telecoms and internet sectors, advising on transactional issues, as well as telecoms infrastructure, data security compliance, e-commerce and fintech issues. The team provides a day-to-day operational advice to a number of international technology companies including Microsoft. Contacts of note are corporate transactional experts Anthony Zhao and Victor Yu. Jihong Chen, who co-heads the IP department, is the go-to name for contentious IP, licensing and privacy protection issues. Yang Zhou has expertise in in telecoms licensing, cybersecurity and data compliance. Mei Han is known for venture capital and private equity investments in the TMT space.
Amazon (China) Investment
Daimler Greater China
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC)
Beijing Sogou Technology Development
Netgear (Beijing) Net Technology
Saudi Basic Industries Corporation
Dongguan Jingbo Photoelectric
Zhejiang Jolly Group
- Advised JD.com on its public offering of $1bn registered notes on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited, where BofA and UBS acted as the underwriters.
- Advised Cisco on its network products entering into China
- Advises Microsoft on issues including cryptography law, app privacy, data compliance and license agreements.
The group at AnJie Law Firm benefits significantly from the presence of practice co-head Samuel Yang who is a respected expert in telecoms regulation and advises major domestic and international players in the industry. On the transactional front, Hang Cai takes the lead, specialising in private equity and venture capital investment. Dalun Chen often supports Cai, with considerable experience in TMT sector M&A transactions.
Other key lawyers:
AT & T
Long Hill Capital
Morningside Venture Capital
- Advised AT&T on legal matters in relation to PRC telecom regulations, data protection and cybersecurity.
- Advised British Telecom on commercial legal and regulatory matters in China.
- Advised AiHuiShou on its series E round of financing and its acquisition of “PaiPai (拍拍)” business from JD Group
Technology and telecoms are core areas for DaHui Lawyers. The team is able to advise on the PRC regulatory environment, as well as on cross-border acquisitions, structuring, financing and dispute resolution. The group has recent experience in transactions involving AI, big data, fintech and autonomous vehicles. Founding and managing partner Richard Ma chairs the practice and is highly knowledgeable in IT and telecoms. Brendon Wu regularly advises on private equity investments in the TMT sector, while Julia Dai focuses on financing transactions and M&A. Michael Dardzinski is noted for representing TMT sector clients in crisis situations concerning government investigations, IP theft and licensing disputes. Cloud Li is developing a solid transactional and regulatory compliance practice.
Cirium (Flight Global)
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
LexisNexis Legal Professional & Risk Solutions
Messe München Group
Princeton University Press
Reed Business Information (RBI)
Research Square (AJE)
- Advised on the post-spin off onshore and offshore structuring of Evernote’s China JV.
- Advised Comcast on a tailored strategy to dissolve certain PRC entities and implement complex capital refunding and employment/labour plans.
- Advised CBS on the establishment of new entities and strategic partnerships in China.
Haiwen & Partners' team is traditionally strong for capital markets and M&A transactions, which it brings to bear in TMT sector transactions. An area of particular expertise for the group is the entertainment industry; and Yu Cao is regularly instructed by international film studios on major productions involving China. Hao Bian is a leading light in the capital markets practice, with experience advising Chinese technology companies. Ning Du is another name to note for TMT sector M&A transactions.
Minglamp Technology (Leading Smart Holdings
CITIC Capital Holdings
V FUND Investment
Beijing IQIYI Technology
- Advised Pony AI on fundraising $500m
- Advised Minglamp Technology on its $300m series E financing project, involving Temasek and Tencent.
- Advised Baidu on its investment in HAND Enterprise Solutions via a share deal..
Jingtian & Gongcheng has an impressive roster of PRC technology companies, which it advises on private equity, M&A, and capital markets transactions, as well as their operations, on matters including cybersecurity and regulatory issues. Zhengzheng Hu, who is managing partner of the Nanjing office, has a strong transactional practice. Jinjin Chen has developed significant knowledge in the TMT regulatory environment. The department is jointly led by Zhenhua Xiang and Yongqing Huang.
Shanghai Sunmi Technology Group
Beijing Yinxiang Biji Technology
Goldman Sachs (Asia)
CLSA Capital Markets
- Advised Maoyan Entertainment on matters relating to its payment and settlement systems and internet video services, as well as its relationship with the company’s controlling shareholder.
- Advised Meitu on its acquisition of a 57% stake in Hong Kong-isted Daijie.
- Advised Shanghai Sunmi Technology Group on its series D+ financing.
King & Wood Mallesons
The technology group at King & Wood Mallesons has significant experience in capital markets transactions, including listings on the Shanghai Stock Exchange's STAR market. The group also has knowledge in outsourcing projects, in relation to which it is instructed by providers and software developers, as well as government agencies and international companies on the demand side. Jointly leading to team in Shanghai are capital markets expert Xiaohong Zhao and private equity specialist Richard Nie; in Beijing, Rocky Lee and Ji Sun; and in Shenzhen, Rui Zhou. Cecilia Lou is noted for her IP and outsourcing expertise.
- Advised Pinduoduo on its issuance of $1bn in convertible notes.
TransAsia Lawyers is a technology and media boutique that regularly advises multinationals and major Chinese companies on their operations and transactions in the PRC. In terms of transactions, the group has experience in financing, M&A and private equity deals. The group's impressive media and entertainment practice includes advising on film financing, co-productions and IP deals, as well as production and distribution issues. Founding and managing partner Philip Qu heads the group and is known for transactional matters. Kevin Guo is a regulatory expert with a strong track record in advising foreign technology companies. Justina Zhang leads on intellectual property protection and litigation matters.
‘Philip Qu is knowledgeable with both robust professional legal skills and in-depth understanding of the industry. Super sharp and can always give more than what I asked for / thought I was looking for!‘
Motion Picture Association
China Film Group
- Advised Airbnb ontime-critical and rapidly-evolving product and policy adjustments.
- Advised Weibo in the reverse merger of its portfolio company,Beijing InMyShow Technology
- Advised China Film Group on its investment in, production of and post-production business matters relating to China’ssci-fi blockbuster The Wandering Earth.
Anli Partners is focused on assisting clients in the culture, entertainment sectors, advising on television and film investment and financing, as well as intellectual property issues. In addition, the group has a strong dispute resolution practice, representing a variety of entertainment industry clients. Shuguang Yang co-heads the team and is regularly instructed in litigation involving celebrities and media companies. Xinrui Wang takes the lead on transactional and regulatory issues.
Beijing Zhidemai Technology
New Oriental Education Technology Group
Beijing Lingyue Information Technology
China United Network Communications Group
China Development Bank
Shenzhen Huayidai small-sum loan
Beijing Shouyouzhijia Technology
Beijing Wise World Technology
Prince Gong Mansion Museum, Ministry of Culture and Tourism
Beijing Zhongming Century Technology
Beijing Qingqi Technology
The first Historical Archives of China
Chongqing Gaotong Electronic System
Shanghai Tao Ticket Film and Television Culture
Shenzhen Yutong Technology
Beijing Qiuxiang Yabo Culture and Art
Dreamer Film (Beijing)
Qingdao Lianwan Copyright Service Center
Shanghai Shanda Network Development
- Advised Tencent on compliance issues relating to Tencent Cloud, Smart Industry Group and Tencent Advertising Group, relating to contract drafting and platform rule design.
- Advised Beijing Zhidemai Technology on the IPO of A shares on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange.
- Advised BabyTree on a range of issues, including network platform operations, IP, data compliance and unfair competition.
At Hylands Law Firm, lawyers have particular expertise in the media and entertainment, and internet sectors. The group is well-versed in intellectual property, as well as media production issues. Jointly leading the team are IP expert Rong Yu and entertainment industry specialist Shan Tao, who regularly advises on productions from start to finish.
HuaYi Brothers Media Group
- Advised Zhejiang Dongyang Meila Media, Huayi Brothers Film and Feng Xiaogang on the intellectual property dispute arising from film “Fanghua”.
- Advised Beijing Wanbo Tongyu Film and Television Culture Media on its equity investment.
The team at JunHe LLP has a strong transactional focus, advising Chinese technology companies on M&A, foreign direct investment and capital markets transactions. The group has increasing experience in listing companies on the Shanghai Stock Exchange's science and innovation board. Key figures on the team are Marissa Dong (who has developed a practice advising foreign companies on their entry into the PRC), capital markets expert Chenliang LI and corporate generalist Fang Zhou.
- Advised Amlogic on its series A share issuance
- Advised Beijing Kingsoft Office Software on its issuance of shares on the STAR board of the Shanghai Stock Exchange.
- Advised Appotronics Corporation on its listing on the Shanghai Stock Exchange’s STAR market.
The team at Llinks Law Offices is most noted for TMT sector finance and investment. It has experience across the industry, including in relation to e-commerce, media and entertainment, as well as manufacturing. The department is co-led by Grant Chen and Nicholas Lou and includes corporate generalist David Yu.
‘The team has a good understanding of operations of e-commerce platforms and are able to provide one-stop services to spot all compliance issues, from licensing requirements, data protections, to invoicing and taxations, associated with e-commerce business.‘
The team members have a dynamic synergy. Whilst the practice heads provide a high-level guidance based on his legal knowledge and experience, their team members implement the guidance prudently.’
SB China Capital
Suzhou Boyan Jiaming Venture Capital Center
Ningbo Hongqi Haochun Venture Capital Center
Shenzhen SenseTime Technology
Wm Smart Mobility (Shanghai)
Red Pepper Limited
Baxter (China) Investment
Boke Telecommunication Technology Corporation
Rui Bai Law Firm
Rui Bai Law Firm is part of the PwC network, giving it access to an international TMT sector offering, often working close with the firm's Hong Kong Offices. The group Has expertise in technology outsourcing, regulatory issues, as well as TMT M&A. The group was given a significant boost by the arrival of Barbara Li from Norton Rose Fulbright in June 2020, adding a TMT veteran with a specialism in regulatory issues.
Zhao Sheng Law Firm
A joint operation with Linklaters, Zhao Sheng Law Firm is well-placed to handle cross-border transactions in the TMT sector, drawing on an accomplished international office network. In additional to transactional experience, the group has expertise in regulatory, employment, competition, procurement and outsourcing issues, as well as data privacy and cybersecurity. Richard Gu heads the department, which includes managing partner Eric Liu who has particular experience in the e-banking sector.
Sofina Asia Private
Sichuan Shuangma Cement
- Advised MGI Tech, a PRC headquartered life science and biotech equipment manufacturer, on its Series A round equity financing offshore.
- Advised Sofina Asia Private in connection with its investment in Qingzhu as a co-lead Series B preferred investor.
- Advised Suning.com on the acquisition of 80% shares in Carrefour China.