Real estate and construction: PRC firms in China
Fangda Partners has a strong presence for on-and offshore real estate transactions. The team is regularly instructed on real estate investment, acquisitions and disposals, commercial leasing and build-to-suit projects. It also has significant experience in asset management, advising on major PRC and foreign hotel and office portfolios. The department is led by seasoned real estate and construction practitioner Yingying Wang, whose clients are an impressive mix of international funds and high-profile domestic corporates. Stephen Lin is an expert in overseas real estate investments, as well as M&A in the domestic sector. Frank Fan is the name to note for hotel management and operation, as well as leasing and build-to-lease matters.
‘All lawyers in the team understand our industry very well, therefore their advice are normally more reality and workable for client to understand and adapt.’
‘Willing to pay attention to every single detail and dig out most reasonable suggestion to the client.’
‘Fangda is able to display both international and local knowledge and expertise in my observation from the HK-China cross border work they did for our company.’
‘What impressed me the most are the professional work discipline, quality controls and remarkable results they deliver mostly within expectation and across the teams that we had the chances to work together with.’
‘Fangda can always provide us with accurate, helpful and prompt legal advice while other law firms may not be able to do in such an efficient manner.’
‘Stephen Lin is the core partner that we are working with. He can always provide prompt and accurate legal advice which is key to a start-up like us. In addition, he is very considerate. When we provide him with a situation needing his advice, he can always think further rather than other lawyers which can only solve problems we are confronting.’
Bain Capital Credit (BCC)
Li & Fung Group
Gopher Asset Management
City Developments Limited (CDL)
Hong Kong Construction
E-Shang Redwood Group
Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects
UTC / OTIS
Shanghai Land Group
- Advised Bain Capital Credit on its subscription of $300m convertible notes issued by real estate asset company D&J China.
- Advised Haitong Securities on its acquisition of three office buildings and several hundred underground parking spaces from Greenland.
- Advised Brookfield on its acquisition of three office buildings and a retail mall in a large mixed-use project under construction in Shanghai.
King & Wood Mallesons
The real estate team at King & Wood Mallesons works closely with the firm's banking team, to provide clients with real estate financing advice. The group's offering includes real estate M&A, asset acquisitions, tax issues, upstream fund establishment and dispute resolution. In addition to a strong PRC focus, the group is also instructed on outbound transactions, able to draw on an international network with offices in New York and London. Harry Du is the overall department head based in Beijing, while the Yangtze River Delta team is led by William Jiang and Zhangqi Tao leads the south China group.
Macquarie Asia Infrastructure Fund II
EC World REIT
Shun Tak Group
MEGCIF Asset Holdings III
Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Company
Yuexiu REIT Asset Management
Ningbo Zhoushan Port Company
Li & Fung Limited
Chow Tai Fook Enterprise Limited (CTF)
China General Nuclear Energy Development
- Advised Macquarie Asia Infrastructure Fund II on its acquisition of Daesung Industrial Gases from MBK Partners, a matter involving projects in the PRC.
- Advised EC World REIT on the acquisition of Fuzhou e-Commerce, which owns a warehouse and two 14-storey buildings.
- Advised HSBC on the purchase of a building for its international training centre in Guangzhou.
Zhong Lun Law Firm's real estate and construction team provides a full service to clients including government agencies, investors, developers, construction companies, financial institutions and funds. The group has transactional expertise, in terms of M&A and real estate sales, but it also handles issues such as corporate governance for companies operating in the sector. On the construction side, the group is well-versed in public-private partnership (PPP) projects, as well as the design and construction of a wide range of private sector projects. Jointly heading the group are infrastructure expert Jihong Wang, real estate all-rounder Fei Wang, disputes expert Chao Ji and real estate investment and financing specialist Furong Deng.
China Resources Land
China Oversea Land & Investment
Longfor Group Holdings
China Jinmao Holdings Group
Shenzhen Cimc Industry & City Development Group
COFCO PROPERTY (GROUP)
China Energy Engineering Group Guangdong Electric Power Design Institute
China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation
Sumitomo Mitsui Finance and Leasing (China)
POLY Property Development
Guangdong Provincial Railway Construction Investment Group
Huasen Architectural & Engineering Designing Consultants
Beijing Capital Land
Beijing Guohua Property
China Resources Land
Macquarie Corporate Holdings
Shanghai Construction Engineering First Construction Group
Phoenix Publishing & Media Group
Nanjing Tang Quan Construction Group
Jiangsu SOHO Holdings Group
Nanjing Jinling holdings
Jiangsu Zhonglu Transportation Development
Jiangsu Provincial Construction Group
- Advised the Shenzhen offices of China Resources on a city reovation unit programme in Luohu District
- Advised Beijing Capital Land on setting up a real estate fund with IDG Capital, for investment in Beijing and Shanghai
- Advised CITICPE on the acquisition of ZTE Building, which focuses on elderly care facilities in major cities.
City Development Law Firm
City Development Law Firm plays an important role in Shanghai's real estate and construction sector, with vast experience in construction and real estate development, including in relation to major infrastructure and engineering projects. The team is led by veteran construction lawyer Shuying Zhu, whose experience includes contentious and non-contentious issues. Wanquan Shao is another name to note, with particular expertise in urban renewal and infrastructure projects. Shan Cao is recommended for construction and real estate disputes, with experience as a sitting arbitrator in Nanjing and Wuhan. Zhongchun Song is a specialist in asset-backed securities.
Shanghai Stock Exchange、China Financial Futures Exchange Stock Company Limited、China Securities Depository and Clearing Corporation Limited (CSDC)
Shanghai Tunnel Engineering
The Shanghai Social Insurance Business Management Center
Huaxia Cultural Tourism Group
China Shipbuilding Real Estate
Shanghai Stock Exchange Data Service
The 14th Metallurgical Construction of China Nonferrous Metal Industry
Shanghai Construction No.4 (Group)
SCEGC Installation Group Company
Gansu Construction Investment (Holdings) Group Corporation
Gartner curtain wall (Shanghai)
- Advised the Shanghai Storck Exchange on the construction of the Shanghai Financial Exchange Square project.
- Advised Shanghai Tunnel Engineering on the construction of the Taizhou section of the Hangzhou-Shaoxing-Taizhou PPP project.
- Advised the Shanghai Social Insurance Business Management Center on real asset management issues in relation to the operation and monetisation of 107 properties in Shanghai.
The real estate and construction team at Global Law Office provides a full service to domestic and international clients. The group is instructed on the design, financing, bidding and tendering of construction projects, as well as real estate M&A, estate management and dispute resolution. Minghao Xu is noted for real estate acquisitions and developments. Other key figures on the team are transactional lawyers Huawei Lin and Jason Wang, investment and financing expert Kevin Wang, infrastructure specialist Miller Wang.
China Resource Land
SK Hynix System
Zhongrong International Trust
City Development & Investment Co., Ltd of China Xiong’an Group
China Merchants Expressway Network & Technology Holdings
Xinjiang Wujing Tiejian Rail Transportation
Beijing Maglev Transportation Development
Beijing BII Traffic Development
Beijing BII City Utility Tube Investment
Beijing Infrastructure Investment
Qingdao West Coast Development (Group)
China Properties Group
Fujian Yango Group
Beijing Jiangong Guotong Construction Engineering
- Advised logistics warehousing real estate operator ESR on its Hong Kong IPO.
- Advised Blackstone on its investment in two commercial properties in Zhngzhou and Xi’an, both of which are the largest shopping malls in their respective cities.
- Advised Sammaebong on project fundraising from CITIC Construction for JW Marriott’s hotel development project in Korea.
JunHe's real estate and construction team has extensive experience in M&A and real estate investment, including in relation to development, financing and leasing projects, as well as the sale of real properties. The department is led by real estate specialist Xueping Yu, who regularly handles development and construction projects, as well as the related project equity transactions. Nancy Zhang is a core member of the team specialising in advising offshore clients on M&A and PRC real estate investment. Qualified to practice in Hong Kong and the PRC, Catherine Miao has developed a solid practice involving in- and outbound real estate investment.
- Advised China Merchants Shekou Industrial Zone Holdings on the implementation of the Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong Modern Service Industry Cooperation Zone.
- Advised Guangzhou Yuexiu Enterprise Group on its RMB10bn debt-to-preferred-share swap.
- Advised Aoyuan Group (Guangdong on its involvement in the Jiangmen Gudou Hot Spring Resort project.
At AllBright Law Offices, the team has a wide focus, that spans equity and asset acquisitions, project financing, real estate-related M&A and corporate reform, asset restructuring, urban renewal projects, property management and public-private-partnerships. The department is led by Pengfei Li, who has experience in theme park construction projects, alongside more traditional construction matters. Zhibin Huang specialises in engineering projects, real estate development and contentious issues. Roy Luo is registered as an overseas lawyer in Hong Kong, often handling foreign investment and financing issues involving the PRC.
Hangzhou Fuyang Yefeng Leduo Real Estate Development
Suzhou Institute of Building Science Group
The subsidiary of Shanghai Vanke
China Southern Airlines
Global International Freight Forwarders (China)
China Construction Eighth Engineering Bureau
Shanghai Baoye Group
Shanghai Zhongliang Real Estate Group
- Advised Shanghai Vanke on litigation and non-litigation services relating to real estate financing and construction contracts.
- Advised Suzhou Institute of Building Science Group on its acquisition of Zhnaghai Zhongcehang Engineering and Consulting through a share deal.
- Advised Shanghai Land on operational reforms.
Dentons China is noted for its presence in small and large cities across China, allowing lawyers to provide a hyper-local service to clients in the real estate and construction space. The group handles contentious and non-contentious construction matters, as well as real estate transactions and estate management issues. In Beijing, the key practitioners are Huazhi Yuan, Liyuan Du, Guisheng Yang, Jingpu Zhao, Hongji Qian, Rongqing Jiang, Zhisong Deng and Qin Zhao; in Shanghai, the figures of note are Qingnan Sun, Chenyao Wu, Wei Chen (whose team is 'very responsive and efficient') and Ye Wei.
‘The team lead by Wei Chen is very responsive and efficient‘.
Tongliao West Urban and Rural Real Estate
China Railway First Bureau Group Municipal Environmental Protection Engineering
Sino-Ocean Decor Engineering
Beijing WanXing Building Group Co.Ltd.
Ministry of Justice of the People’s Republic of China
National Association of lawyers
Suzhou Kelida Decoration
China Construction First Building Group
China Xinxing Construction and Development
Tianjin Mingyu Real Estate Investment
Shanghai Lefu Real Estate
Mori Building (Shanghai)
Taikang Community (Beijing) Investment
Longfor Group Holdings
COFCO Property (Group)
FL PROPCO 2 (HK)
Nantong Electromechanical Equipment
Shanghai Industrial Zone Development
Changzhou Ruiwei Real Estate
Shanghai Magnesium Enterprise Development
Shenzhen Airport Aerotropolis Operation Management
Zhuhai Gree Island Investment
Guangzhou Broadcasting Network
Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport
Wenzhou Airport Group
CITIC Urban Development & Operation
Shanghai Eagletop Electronic Technology
Actis GP LLP
China Kweichow Moutai Distillery (Group)
CLSA Capital Partners (HK) Limited
Gaw Capital Partners
Global Logistic Properties Investment (Shanghai)
- Defended Tongliao West Urban and Rural Real Estate against a suit brought by Long Yuan Construction Group at the High People’s Court of Innter Mondolia, in a construction dispute over delays in the project.
- Advised Nanning China Life Shenrun Investment Development Fund Partnership on its agreement with China Resources and Shanghai Land Group to establish the China Life Shenrun Urban Development Fund.
- Advised Shenzhen Airport Aerotropolis Operation Maagement on the estate management of commercial hotel projects.
Guantao Law Firm has a well-established real estate and construction department that is known for handling a variety of transactions across China. The group is led by Lei Meng, who as well as handling project development, asset transfers and financing, has experience in disputes. Yonghong Zhan is an expert in construction projects and real estate M&A. Head of the Chengdu office Qiu Guangli is another name to note, with expertise in environmental regulation, which she applies to real estate and construction projects.
Beijing Financial Street Holding
Beijing Huarong Infrastructure Investment
Expo Shanghai Group
Zhejiang Future Science & Technology
Shandong Fantasia Investment Group
Million Hope Industries
Shanghai Eastern Airlines Investment
Hands Form Holdings
Shanghai Pudong Development Bank
- Advised China Railway Construction Investment Group on its work with Evergrande Group on an urban redevelopment project in Shenzhen.
- Advised GDS (Shanghai) Investment on the acquisition of land and property from Inventec (Pudong) Corporation
- Advised Hands Form Holdings listing on the main board of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong
Jincheng Tongda & Neal
Jincheng Tongda & Neal's real estate, infrastructure and construction department assists developers, funds, investment trusts and financial institutions with an impressive range of transactions across China. The team has particular experience in real estate sector M&A projects, as well as project financing and securities offerings. Real estate investment trusts (REITs) are another component of the practice. The team is led by Zhicheng Ma, who acts as permanent legal counsel to the real estate registration centre of the ministry of land and resources. In 2020, the group was joined by transactional real estate heavyweight David Chen from Zhong Lun Law Firm.
Shui On Land
Guotai Yuanxin Asset Management
Yaxin Electronic Technology (Shanghai)
Jinhua Jindian Real Estate Investment
Poly Huaihai Real Estate Development
Sunac Real Estate Group
Shenzhen Huaqiang Holdings
Zhenjiang Huajian Property
Shanghai Haochuan Real Estate
- Advised Shui On Land on its acquisition and redevelopment of land in Qingpu District, Shanghai.
- Represented Guotai Yuanxin Asset Management in a dispute over a loan contract with China Merchants Bank and Bright Oceans Corporation.
- Advised Jinhua Jindian Real Estate Investment on the all aspects of its construction and development project in Shanghai
Jingtian & Gongcheng has a strong transactional real estate practice, advising on asset-backed securities, real estate M&A, as well as capital markets deals involving real estate companies. The group handles all aspects of transactions, including finance and development issues. Fusheng Fu heads the team, which includes cross-border and domestic real estate transactional expert Tony Shu.
The First One Capital
Beijing Capital Land Ltd.
CapitaLand Investment Management
China Pacific Insurance Corporation
CBRE Global Investors
Poly Property Development
Country Garden Services Holdings Company
China Overseas Property Holdings
China Overseas Land & Investment
China Overseas Grand Oceans Group
China State Construction International
Shirble Department Store Holdings (China)
Datang Group Holdings
Jiayuan International Group
DaFa Properties Group
Shinsun Holdings (Group)
Watts International Maritime Engineering
Shinsun Holdings (Group)
Asia Pulp & Paper (China) Investment
Shanghai Haitong Securities Asset Management
China Railway Construction Corporation Group
- Advised Zhuhai Hengqin Chuangyuan Dadu Asset Management on an urban renewal project in Beijing.
- Advised Asia Pulp & Paper (China) Investment onthe issuance of commercial mortgage backed securities in relation to its properties in Shanghai.
- Acted as PRC counsel to CapitaLand Investment Management on its equity investment into Innov Centre in Shanghai.
Llinks Law Offices has experience in high-profile domestic and cross-border real estate transactions, often in conjunction with the firm's Hong Kong offices. The group advises financial institutions, funds and investors, as well as real estate and construction companies on the spectrum of real estate and construction issues. Real estate funds expert Nicholas Lou heads the team. Other recommended transactional lawyers include David Yu and Bernie Liu.
Beijing Meige Hotel Management
Shou Feng (Tianjin) Investment Management
Hengqin Ping An Real Estate Equity Investment Management
China Pacific Insurance (Group)
North Bund Keppel
Beijing Yuanxu Equity Investment Fund Management
Pingan Real Estate
Shanghai Zhangjiang Vanke Real Estate Development and
Shanghai Dijie Real Estate
Invesco Rui De Asia Pacific Private Equity Fund Management (Shenzhen)
- Advised Ping An Real Estate on its establishment in the JinYu No. 7 real estate investment fund, which plans to invest several real estate projects in the greater bay area and is expected to raise RMB2bn
- Advised Shou Feng Investment Management, a subsidiary of Keppel Captial, on its registration as a private equity fund manager.
- Advised Beijing Meige Hotel Management on the transfer of its equity in Shouzhou Hotels and Management to Hanting.
At Tian Yuan Law Firm, lawyers are known for real estate acquisitions, asset restructuring, real estate listed company M&A, as well as private equity investments, land development and cross-border investment. The group is led by Yanling Ren, who also heads the corporate and M&A department, and has vast experience in real estate transactions. For construction projects and related dispute resolution, Peng Xie is the name to note. Managing partner Xiaohui Zhu also has an impressive transactional real estate track-record.
China Resources Land
JY Grandmark Holdings
Binjiang Services Group
Wenye Group Holdings
Phoenix Tree Holdings
Otis Electric (China)
Beijing Shen’an Investment Group and Guizhou Shen’an Pannan Investment
Zhongtian Construction Group
China Jiangsu International Economic and Technical Cooperation Group
Longyuan Construction Group
Sinoclean Construction Engineering (Xi’an)
- Advised on China Resources Land’s investment in Dong’an Lake Sports Centre and acquisition of the approximately 300 mu commodity residence land around the centre
- Advised China Fortune on selling Beijing Lize Financial Business District to Ping An Life for 5.8 bn. (The first attempt of China Fortune to open up a new field of commercial office real estate by adopting the light asset model for asset management output on the basis of the traditional heavy asset model.)
- Advised on China Resources Land’s development and operation of Beijing Guanghua New Town Commercial Project
At Shanghai JianLingChengDa, lawyers have developed a strong overseas construction practice, alongside their stable of construction, real estate and PPP work. The group provides a full suite of services spanning advisory, litigation and arbitration. Regional state-owned enterprises make up a significant part of the client base, which also includes listed construction and real estate companies. The department is led by Jigao Zhou, who handles advisory and contentious matters in the sector. Min Wang is another key individual who also serves as an arbitrator in SIETAC.
China MCC5 Group
Shanghai Baoye Group
China MCC20 Group
China Nuclear Industry Fifth Construction
Red Star Macalline Group
China First Metallurgical Group
Shanghai Greenland Construction Group
Shanghai Jinhui Construction Group
Lixil Building Materials Manufacturing (Suzhou) Corporation
- Assisted Zhejiang Construction Investment Group with its construction projects in Rwanda.
- Acted for a state-owned construction company on a national highway PPP project.
- Represented a private construction company in a contractual dispute.
The team at Beijing Cyan Law Firm assists domestic and internationally-owned clients on their construction projects in China. The group is led by Wanhe Ye, who has vast experience in construction, particularly in relation to public-private partnership projects, tendering and bidding, litigation and arbitration. Associate Wei Shi fort contentious construction issues.
Other key lawyers:
China Eastern Airlines
Samsung Engineering Construction (Shanghai)
- Advising China Eastern Airlines on its base at Beijing Daxing International Airport.
- Advising Samsung Engineering Construction on its transactions in China.
Boss & Young, Attorneys At Law
Real estate is a core area for Boss & Young, Attorneys At Law, which is regularly called upon for the sale and acquisition of property. Commercial property is a notable area of expertise, including in relation to leasing disputes. The group also specialises in advising industrial sector clients on construction projects. The department is jointly led by Guofei Lu, who has experience in real estate development and operation and Yongjian Sun, who has knowledge in foreign direct investment and commercial leasing.
Other key lawyers:
China Construction Eighth Engineering Division
China Aneng Construction Group Second Engineering Bureau
China Railway Shanghai Design Institute Group
China Eastern Airlines
China Aviation Oil Group Logistics
Shanghai Construction Group
Arcplus Group PLC
Shanghai Electric Group Company
A subsidiary of Evergrande
A subsidiary of China Jinmao
A subsidiary of Yango Group
Shanghai Construction Engineering Group
Shanghai Realway Asset Management
A subsidiary of Vanke Group
A subsidiary of Country Garden Group
A subsidiary of CR Land
A subsidiary of China Jinmao
A subsidiary of Zoina Land
CIFI Holdings (Group)
A subsidiary of Powerlong Real Estate Holdings
Shanghai Aijia Group
A subsidiary of China Gezhouba Group
A subsidiary of Finance Street Holdings
A subsidiary of Guangdong Pearl River Investment
A subsidiary of CK Asset Holdings Limited
A subsidiary of Hang Lung Properties
A subsidiary of Hong Kong Parkview Construction Group
A subsidiary of Hong Kong Land
A subsidiary of Chong Bang Group
A subsidiary of New World China
Shanghai World Expo Land Holding
Shanghai Zhongxing Group
Shanghai Gubei Group
Shanghai Zendai Real Estate
Shanghai Cred Real Estate Stock
Shanghai Municipal Engineering Design Institute
Peddle Architectural Design Consulting (Shanghai)
- Advised china Resources Land on its involvement in the government’s rural revitalisation strategy in relation to a project in Shanghai.
- Advised Shanghai Lingang Economic Development Asset Management on its acquisition of a commercial, office and rental housing project.
- Represented Hopson Development Holdings in a dispute with an engineering contractor, arising from the defendent’s failure to meet contractual obligations.
Wintell & Co Law Firm
The Shanghai-based team at Wintell & Co Law Firm is deeply involved in the local real estate sector. The group, led by Tony Wang, has expertise in development, project financing, real estate sales and acquisitions, and estate management, which it handles for a number of Shanghai shopping centres and office buildings.
Shanghai Wanda Plaza Commercial Management
Shanghai Science and Technology Museum
Shanghai Construction Engineering Equity Investment Fund Management
Bank of Communications International Trust
Shanghai Weilaidao Investment Real Estate
Shanghai Construction Group
China Construction Second Engineering Bureau
China Construction Eighth Engineering Division
Evergrande Group East China Branch
Shanghai Futurity High Technology Industrial Park
- Advised Shanghai Wanda Plaza Commercial Management on day-to-day legal issues relating to its commercial real estate.
- Advises Shanghai Science and Technology Museum on its daily legal affairs and the construction of its new subsidiary (Shanghai Planetarium)
- Advised Shanghai Weilaidao Investment Real Estate on its RMB11m acquisition of an industrial park company