Global Law Office advises on the development and construction of a wide range of projects, both in China and overseas. The team has a particular focus on the mining and energy sectors, and also advises on transport and industrial projects. Key partners in the practice include Shifang Guo, who is experienced in acquisitions and investments involving projects, as well as project financing, with Zhongcheng Wang and Miller Wang also active in this area.
Projects and energy: PRC firms in China
Zhongcheng Wang; Miller Wang; Yue Wang; Xin Zhang; Shifang Guo; Xiaofeng Tang
Other key lawyers:
Qianhui Tang; Yi Peng
‘Xiaofeng Tang’s team is mainly involved in the energy sector, particularly the natural gas sector. The team’s greatest strength is its professional expertise in the energy sector.’
‘Xiaofeng Tang not only has a wealth of experience of legal services for the natural gas industry, but also has a very agile and logical mind with very strong knowledge of the fundamentals of law. He is an excellent lawyer. The team’s quality of service is very high. Qianhui Tang provides rapid everyday contract review services with very high quality, and she is very professional and meticulous in her legal consultations. When the company experienced an emergency, Yi Peng provided dispute resolution services. He is very responsive and was able to quickly help the company control the situation.’
‘Miller Wang (Minglang Wang) has a high level of professional expertise. He is able to make effective use of his knowledge and legal skills, and he is very familiar with the renewable energy industry and wind power in particular. He is able to comprehensively answer client questions and solve problems, as well as offering his experience as a reference. He is very responsive, professional and focuses.’
Jiaxin International Resources Investment Ltd.
Huaxia Financial Leasing Co., Ltd.
Beijing Capital Heat Co., Ltd
Beijing Shouchuang Thermal Power Co., Ltd
Chengdu Gas Group Corporation Ltd.
China Resources Gas Investment (China) Co., Ltd
Chengdu Huarun Gas Engineering Co. Ltd
Sichuan Konggang Gas Co. Ltd
Sichuan Gas Association
Yibin China Resources Gas Co., Ltd.
Dazhou China Resources Gas Co., Ltd.
Luzhou China Resources Xinglu Gas Co., Ltd
Suining Xinyuan Oil & Gas Development Co., Ltd
China Merchants Expressway Network & Technology Holdings Co., Ltd., China Merchants Union (BVI) Limited, Zhejiang Expressway Co., Ltd., Jiangsu Expressway Company Limited, Sichuan Expressway Company Limited, Anhui Expressway Company Limited
- Advised Jiaxin International Resources Investment Ltd on the development of a tungsten mine in Kazakhstan.
- Advised Huaxia Financial Leasing Co., Ltd. on financial leasing transactions for photovoltaic and wind power assets.
- Advised Xinjiang Wujing Tiejian Rail Transportation Co., Ltd.on the construction of the Urumqi Metro Line 2.
JunHe LLP’s projects and energy practice advises on the financing and development of projects in a broad range of sectors, including oil and gas, offshore wind, transportation, and data centres. The practice is also highly active in handling corporate transactions in the energy space, such as M&A transactions, financings, and investments involving energy companies. Jianan Yuan leads the practice and is noted for his specialism in water, nuclear power, and waste treatment projects. Other key figures in the practice include Fang Yi and Bill Qin.
Other key lawyers:
Fang Yi; Bill Qin; George Zhu; Jianan Yuan; Xianfeng Zhou; Yipeng Zhang
‘An increasingly mature and specialist mainland team with real PRC outbound experience of both projects and international disputes. The team is probably unique in being a mainland PRC legal team with genuine ability and maturity to handle major intentional energy work. The lawyers are often recruited from science or engineering backgrounds, encouraged to think legally, and have good English skills. It also works well with international counsel. They are very good with PRC clients.’
‘Xianfeng Zhou is one of the strongest and most creative legal and strategic problem solvers, great with clients, and excellent at recruiting young, talented lawyers. He is a delight to work with, and understands how to work with international counsel.’
‘As one of China’s top law firms, JunHe has partners and specialist lawyers with unbeatable expertise in the engineering project and energy sectors. They have a wealth of experience of providing services for all kinds of engineering project and investment businesses, both in China and abroad.’
‘Xianfeng Zhou has a background in both engineering and law, as well as a wealth of experience in engineering and construction fields including large public buildings, industrial production lines, energy and infrastructure. Yipeng Zhang has an academic background in both law and finance, as well as many years’ experience of working in top international law firms.’
‘The team is exceptional because of their industry knowledge and commercial/ business-like approach to legal issues.’
‘Bill Qin and Xianfeng Zhou are stand out partners. Bill Qin is intellectually brilliant and a highly knowledgeable lawyer. Xianfeng Zhou is a very good lawyer with an engineering background which makes him excellent as a specialist construction lawyer’
‘Bill Qin has a wealth of experience and is able to come up with solutions from the client’s perspective.’
China National Nuclear Corporation
China National Petroleum Corporation
China Electric Power Technology and Equipement Co (CET)
China Power Internatinal Development Co
Gezhouba International Engineering Co
PowerChina International Engineering Co
China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation (SINOSURE)
PetroChina Huanqiu Engineering Co
China Datang Corporation Renewable Power Co., Limited
China Resources (Holdings) Co., Ltd.
China Huadian Corporation LTD. (CHD)
Westinghouse Electric Company LLC
- Advised EDF EN/EDF China on its investments in the Jiangsu Dongtai offshore wind power project.
- Advised Dayue Consulting Co., Ltd. as consultant firm engaged by Changsha government on PPP project of Changsha Metro Line 6, an east-west backbone line in Changsha rail transit network.
- Advised PowerChina Guizhou Engineering Co., Ltd. on the project of Qatar 800MW PV power station.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons draws on its expertise in corporate transactions to advise on deals involving energy assets and companies, such as restructurings, M&A transactions, and investments. The team is also active in project financing, with Yinghao Lv acting for banks and borrowers in the financing of energy assets both in China and abroad. Practice head Wenjing Tian acts for project sponsors and contractors on the development of oil and gas, coal, and renewable energy projects around the world. Elsewhere, Jin Xiong is another key contact in the practice and focuses on M&A transactions, and Zhizhi Liu handles outbound investments in energy projects in Asia, Europe, and Africa.
Other key lawyers:
Jin Xiong; Zhizhi Liu
Shenzhen Yantian Port Group Co., Ltd
Tianjin Zhonghuan Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
Shandong Gold Group
China Three Gorges Corporation (“CTG”)
Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited
- Advised Shenzhen Yantian Port Group Co., Ltd on its investment into Brightoil Petroleum Group Limited through the combination of equity investment (subscription for new shares to be issued by the Target) and debt assignment, for a total consideration over RMB 3 billion.
- Assisted Tianjin Zhonghuan Semiconductor Co., Ltd. with its investment into Maxeon Solar Technologies Ltd.
- Advised Basell International Holdings B.V. on its acquistion of 50% of equity holdings of Liaoning Bora Petrochemical Co., Ltd. from Liaoning Bora Enterprise Group Co., Ltd., which Liaoning Bora Petrochemical Co., Ltd. was subsequently transformed into a Sino-foreign joint venture company to construct and operate one of the largest petrochemical plants in China.
Zhong Lun Law Firm has a proven track record of advising on the complex, high-profile matters in the projects and energy space. The practice’s work covers M&A transactions involving energy companies as well as the financing and construction of a broad range of projects. In addition to handling oil, gas, and coal projects, the team is instructed on high-profile developments in the renewable energy space. The practice has a broad geographic reach, advising on projects across Asia as well as in Africa and Europe. The team is also adept at handling contentious matters, such as construction disputes; environmental litigation is another specialism. Jihong Wang, Jun Cheng, Li Hao, and Zhenhua Wang jointly lead the team.
Jihong Wang; Jun Cheng; Li Hao; Zhenhua Wang
Other key lawyers:
Wenjing Zhang; Sun Fanglong; Yu Luping
‘The team has a deep understanding of industry practice and is able to call upon his understanding of the industry to provide expert legal services.’
‘Wenjing Zhang has a wealth of industry experience and very solid and professional knowledge of the law, as well as practical experience. He is able to deal with complex, wide-ranging commercial issues in a highly efficient manner, and we were particularly impressed with how he was able to effectively integrate legal solutions into Chinese project practices and locally implement them in a workable way.’
‘Zhong Lun lawyers include Sun Fanglong and Yu Luping. Judging from our experience cooperating with them, these two lawyers have rich legal and industry knowledge in the field of real estate and infrastructure construction. With good communication skills, both lawyers have extensive experience in court trials. From the two lawyers representing our unit’s litigation cases, they performed well in case communication and produced good results.’
Sinosteel Equipment & Engineering Co., Ltd
Chifeng Jilong Gold Mining Co., Ltd
Shandong Gold Mining Co., Ltd.
Hunan International Cooperation Fund Management Co., Ltd.
Zijin Mining Group Co., Ltd
Sinomine Resource Group Co., Ltd
Huaneng Nuclear Power Development Co. Ltd.
Northwest Electric Power Design Institute Co., Ltd. of China Power Engineering Consulting Group
China Machinery Engineering Corporation (CMEC)
TBEA Xinjiang Sunoasis Co., Ltd
Tebian Electric Apparatus Stock Co. Ltd.
China Petroleum Pipeline Engineering Co., Ltd.
Sino Great Wall International Engineering Co., Ltd.
Minmetals Land Limited
SouthGobi Resources, a company listed on HK and Toronto stock exchanges
Synertec Corporation Limited, a multi-disciplined engineering consulting firm in Australia, which is listed on ASX
State Grid Overseas Investment Co. Ltd.
Guangzhou City Construction Investment Ltd.
Jinko Solar Co., Ltd.
Organic Waste System
China Biodiversity Conservation and Green Development Foundation
People’s Government of Huanghekou Town, Kenli District, Dongying City
Zhongnan Holding Group Co., Ltd.
Qingdao Zhongnan Century City Real Estate Investment Co., Ltd.
- Advised the strategic investor National Energy Investment Group Co., Ltd. in the bankruptcy restructuring of a hydropower project, and successfully assisted National Energy Investment Group Co., Ltd with becoming the new shareholder and investor of the project.
- Advised Sinosteel Equipment & Engineering Co., Ltd on its 2 X 350 MW Coal Fired Power Plant EPC Project in Koh Kong Province, Kingdom of Cambodia.
- Advised Chifeng Jilong Gold Mining Co., Ltd on its acquisition of Ghana Bibiani mine from Australian listed company Resolute Mining Limited.
Guantao Law Firm
Guantao Law Firm advises on transactions involving assets and companies in the electricity, oil and gas, and renewables sectors. The practice handles the acquisition of portfolios of energy assets as well as the companies themselves, including advising on cross-border transactions. Project financing and the structuring of EPC contracts are also areas of focus for the team, which is led by Ling Xu. Xu focuses on M&A and capital markets matters. Wei Jiang is another key contact in the team and has long-standing relationships with a number of SOEs in this sector.
Grace Pengpeng Yan; Ling Xu
Other key lawyers:
PetroChina Company Limited
China Insurance Investment Co., Ltd.
Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, Bureau of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises
SDIC Power Holdings Co., Ltd
Hebei Jinxi Iron and Steel Group Company Limited
China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation
Binhai Investment Company Limited
Tianjin TEDA Investment Holding Co., Ltd.
State Grid Corporation of China (SGCC)
China National Nuclear Power Co., Ltd
- Advised PetroChina on the sale of its major oil and gas pipelines, certain gas storage facilities and other related assets (including all the equity interests in certain target entities hold by PetroChina) to PipeChina, in exchange for PipeChina’s equity interest and cash consideration, representing 29.9% of the equity interest of PipeChina upon completion of the deal.
- Advised China Insurance Investment Co., Ltd. on an investment project in which the client subscribed to a stake in Pipe China.
- Advised Ministry of Industry and Information Technology and the Bureau of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises on the establishment of the China SME Development Fund Co., Ltd.
Sunshine Law Firm
Sunshine Law Firm is a boutique firm focusing on the projects, energy, and infrastructure sectors. The practice has experience handling renewable, LNG, and oil and gas projects. The team acts both for sponsors, assisting them with procurement and EPC contract drafting, and for contractors, advising on bidding for tenders. In addition to advising on domestic developments, the practice acts for Chinese clients in overseas projects, with Hongwen Zhu focusing on this area. Song Shen leads the team’s oil and gas work and has significant experience in this sector, including previously working in-house in the industry. Jianlai Zhang in Guangzhou and Anwei Dai in Hangzhou are also names to note.
Lizhong Lu; Hongwen Zhu; Song Shen
Other key lawyers:
Jianlai Zhang; Anwei Dai
China Energy Construction Group Guangdong Electric Power Design and Research Institute Co., Ltd
Guangdong (Panyu) Petrochemical Storage & Transportation Co.,Ltd
Qinshan Nuclear Power Co., Ltd
- Advised CEEC Guangdong Institute on the Jinwan Offshore Wind Power EPC Project.
- Provided EPC legal support for Guangzhou LNG Emergency Peak Regulating Gas Source Station Project.
- Provided advice tp Qinshan Nuclear Power Cp., Ltd on the operation of the nuclear power plant and comprehensive utilization of nuclear energy (nuclear heating, nuclear medical, etc.), including providing compliance legal services for nuclear power plant operation.
Tian Yuan Law Firm acts for state-owned enterprises in the financing and construction of projects, handling developments within China as well as those overseas in Belt and Road Initiative countries. The practice has experience in advising on projects in the solar, hydropower, and coal energy sectors; it is also highly active in handling mining projects. Practice head Jie Chai handles M&A transactions involving project assets as well as outbound investment in developments; co-head Xiaodong Zhu focuses on EPC contract drafting and project financing.
Jie Chai; Xiaodong Zhu
‘The team led by Jie Chai provided very professional and meticulous work. Jie Chai has rich experience in overseas investment and mergers and acquisitions, anti-monopoly, corporate governance and other fields. He is highly professional, independent and objective, and seeks truth from facts. He is especially able to actively consider the interests of clients and remind risks. As a senior partner, he still does everything personally and deeply participates in the project throughout the whole process. This is something that many lawyers cannot do.’
‘Xiaodong Zhu impressed us the most. He not only has a solid legal professionalism, but also has the ability to perceive the needs of the other party. More importantly, he has the ability to quickly grasp the key points in the complex information and the skills to express opinions clearly and concisely. Professionalism, enthusiasm, flexibility and courage are our overall impression of Xiaodong Zhu.’
‘The team provides customized legal solutions for companies on overseas engineering contracting projects, and cooperates with overseas lawyers to help companies straighten out the legal structure of transactions.’
SINOHYDRO Corporation Limited
Yangtze Andes Holding Co., Limited
China Huanqiu Contracting & Engineering Co., Ltd.
Tianjin Tianbao Energy Co., Ltd.
China Yangtze Power International (Hongkong) Co.,Limited
China Metallurgical Group
China Aerospace Construction Group Co., Ltd.
China Railway Construction Investment Group Co., Ltd.
China Three Gorges Corporation
China Yangtze Power Co., Ltd.
- Advised Yangtze Andes on receiving the investment by Cyan, Magenta Investment and Llamas (BVI) Investment by way of subscription of shares and acquisition of existing shareholder loan.
- Advised POWERCHINA International on Zaporizhia windfarm project in Ukraine.
- Advised Sinohydro on the extension of the general contract and financing project of Rumaila 730MW Combined Cycle Power Station in Iraq.
Broad & Bright Law Firm
Broad & Bright Law Firm’s work in the projects and energy space includes advising Chinese clients on overseas joint ventures as a part of the Belt & Road Initiative. The team also advises on the development of domestic projects as well as investments and transactions involving project assets and companies. The practice is led by Lei Shi and Hongchuan Liu in Beijing and Philips Ding in Shanghai. Shi is noted for her work on oil and gas projects while Liu and Ding frequently act for investors in this space.
Lei Shi; Hongchuan Liu; Philips Ding
China Salt Industry Group Co., Ltd.
Dentons draws on its M&A expertise to advise on acquisitions of companies and assets in the energy sector. The practice also handles investments in energy projects, including assisting Chinese clients with outbound investment in projects related to the Belt and Road Initiative. Nancy Sun leads the practice and focuses on corporate transactions; elsewhere, Ting Lu handles investments and also advises contractors on bidding for projects as well as the drafting of contracts. Jenny Si is another key figure in the team, with a broad practice encompassing investments, compliance, and tendering for construction contracts.
Huazhi Yuan; Guisheng Yang; Nancy Sun
Other key lawyers:
Ting Lu; Jenny Si
Shell Energy (China) Limited
Power China Guizhou Engineering Co., Ltd
China Energy Engineering Group Guangzhou Electric Power Design Institute Co., Ltd
Shenergy New Energy (Inner Mongolia) Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Lingang Offshore Wind Power Co., Ltd.
Jiangsu Daqin New Energy Technology Co., Ltd.
Shenergy New Energy (Qinghai) Co., Ltd
China Energy Construction Group Jiangsu Electric Power Design Institute Co., Ltd.
China Energy Construction Group Jiangsu Power No.1 Engineering Company
Shuangdeng Group Co., Ltd.
Jiangsu Rituo Photovoltaic Technology Co., Ltd.
Jiangsu Keneng Electronic Engineering Consulting Co., Ltd
Suzhou Jinfu Technology Co., Ltd.
Xuzhou Zhenxin Venture Capital Co., Ltd. Yes Hartalega Sdn. Bhd.
SOCIEDADE DE DISTRIBUIÇÃO DE BEBIDAS DE ANGOLA, LDA.
Jiangsu Daji Investment Management Co., Ltd.
- Advised BASF SE on its acquisition of 51% of the equity interest in Hunan Shanshan Energy Technology Co., Ltd.
- Assisted Shell Energy (China) Limited to evaluate and minimize the legal risks for the purchase of carbon emission units from a Verified Carbon Standard project located in Tongcheng, Anhui Province in China, as known as the Adjusted Water Management In Rice Cultivation Project.
- Acted for Shenergy New Energy (Inner Mongolia) Co., Ltd in over 30 transactions with a total installed capacity over 2GW.
In addition to handling M&A transactions involving energy and commodities assets, Jingtian & Gongcheng advises on the developments of projects globally. The team is particularly active in the mining sector, and has a focus on developments in Africa. Xiang Gao serves as practice head, with Linming Jin another name to note in the team.
Other key lawyers:
China Merchants Shekou Holdings
China Merchants Properties Development Limited
CCECC Sierra Leone Limited
Shandong Gold Mining Co. Ltd.
Haidilao International Holding Ltd.
China Harbour Engineering Co., Ltd.
Beijing Construction Engineering Group
China Gezhouba Group Co., Ltd.
HBIS Group Co., Ltd (河钢集团有限公司)
HBIS Resources Co., Ltd （河钢资源股份有限公司）
HBIS Group Beijing International Trading Co., Ltd （河钢集团北京国际贸易有限公司）
JLMAG Rare-Earth Co., Ltd （江西金力永磁科技股份有限公司）
Shandong Jingu Holding Group Co., Ltd（山东金谷控股集团有限公司）
Zibo Jinfu Mining Co., Ltd（淄博金富矿业有限公司）
Yuanping Steel Co., Ltd (原平钢铁有限公司)
Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt Co., Ltd.
Xinjiang Joinworld Co., Ltd.
China Nonferrous Metal Mining (Group) Co., Ltd.
Hongkong Excellen Mining Investment Co., Ltd.
Excellen Mining Holding (Hong Kong) Co., Ltd.
Deziwa Mining S.A.S
Kambove Mining S.A.S
CNMC Huachin Mabende Mining S.A.
Chambishi Copper Smelter Limited
Lualaba Cooper Smelter S.A.
Shaanxi Zinc Industry Co., Ltd.
- Advised China Huaneng Group on its acquisition and delisting of HK-Listed Huaneng Renewable Corporation and relevant financing.
- Advised Shandong Gold Mining Co. Ltd. on its acquisition of the TMAC Resources Inc., a transaction involving the issue of maintaining the flow of royalties, fees and taxes to Inuit and Territorial governments in Canada.
- Advised China Merchants Port Holdings Company Limited and China Merchants Shekou Industrial Zone Holdings Co., Ltd. on a project in Djibouti, cooperating with a state-owned investment company Great Horn Investment Holdings SAS to expand a century-old port.