Projects and energy: PRC firms in China
The construction and engineering team at Global Law Office is active at every stage of projects in China and abroad, advising investors, developers and contractors in projects involving power generation, mining, oil and gas and infrastructure. Energy and mining projects are a particular area of expertise, and lawyers have experience in transactions globally. The group is co-headed by Zhongcheng Wang (a disputes lawyer with a specialism in construction and energy cases), corporate generalist Miller Wang, hospitality industry expert Jason Wang and energy and mining-focused Shifang Guo. Minghao Xu is noted for real estate acquisitions.
Other key lawyers:
China Merchants Expressway Network & Technology Holdings , China Merchants Union (BVI)
SK Hynix System Ic
City Development & Investment of China Xiong’an Group
Zhongrong International Trust
New Beijing Airport Construction Command
Chuan Wang, Fanqin Meng, Yi Zhang, Yingbo He
Beijing Shouchuang Thermal Power
Beijing BII Traffic Development
Beijing Maglev Transportation Development
Xinjiang Wujing Tiejian Rail Transportation
Beijing Infrastructure Investment
Beijing BII City Utility Tunnel Investment
Jiangxi Copper Company
Beijing Capital Heat
Huaxia Financial Leasing
Tianxin International Leasing
State Development & Investment
- Advised Jianxi Copper Company on its acquisition of Canadian-listed Company First Quantum Minerals
- Advised a consortium including Xhina Merchants Expressway Network & Technology on the acquisition of the Istanbul Third Bosphorus Bridge and the Northern Marmara Motorway in Turkey.
- Advised City Development & Investment of China Xiong’an Group on its bidding and procurement processes, as well as handling construction disputes.
JunHe LLP's team excels in infrastructure construction and finance, with an active presence in overseas projects arising from the Belt and Road Initiative, as well as across China. The group is active across the board, with experience in transport infrastructure, water and energy installations. The group is jointly led by energy and natural resources specialist Jianan Yuan and domestic projects focused Fang YI. Yi has particular experience advising SOEs, multinational corporations and investors. Bill Qin is a senior member of the team who assists major foreign investors and Chinese companies in energy, infrastructure and industrial projects in China and abroad. Elvis Zhou, who also acts as an arbitrator, is noted for expertise in Belt and Road Initiative projects, from both a contentious and non-contentious perspective.
- Advised EDF China on the first foreign investment into a Chinese offshore wind farm project.
- Advised CITIC Construction on the construction of a deep-water port project in Myanmar.
- Advised a consortium of banks, including the Bank of China, on finance for a power plant in Bangladesh.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons' energy, resources and infrastructure group handles projects throughout their life-cycles, around the world, particularly in relation to the Belt and Road Initiative. The group has extensive experience in energy projects, up- mid- and downstream, advising on corporate issues, financing and construction, utilising the firm's global network of offices. The department is led by outward direct investment specialist Wenjing Tian and includes Yinghao Lv, who is an expert in project finance. Jin Xiong's practice consists of cross-border M&A transactions and project investment, with a strong tilt towards outbound work. Zhizhi Liu is a more junior partner with a growing reputation for international construction projects, with a focus on Thailand, Russia, Ukraine, Pakistan and Ethiopia.
‘The advantage lies in the overall strength of KWM, which allows it to independently support complex transactions involving multiple fields.’
China Minsheng Banking Corporation Limited Shijiazhuang Branch
Fujian Gulei Petrochemical
State Grid China Electric Electricity Equipment and Technology
Tianjin Zhonghuan Semiconductor
Engie China Investment Company
China Baowu Steel Group Corporation
Zhefu Holding Group
SPIC Dongfang New Energy Corporation (SPIC Dongfang Energy), SPIC Capital Holding
CITIC Pacific Special Steel Group
- Advised China Minsheng Banking Corporation as the lender of $200m in finance for a iron and steel plant in Indonesia.
- Advised State Grid China Electric Electricity Equipment and Technology on the construction of an onshore windfarm project in Ukraine
- Advised Tianjin Zhonghuan Semiconductor on its investment into Maxeon Solar Technologies
Zhong Lun Law Firm's environment, energy and natural resources department advises multinational corporations, Chinese government agencies and SOEs on the spectrum of utilities and infrastructure projects, both in China and overseas. The group is well-versed in environmental law, handling environmental public interest and administrative litigation in China. Jointly heading the team are Fei Wang, Jihong Wang, Yueping Zhou and Jiong Zhang, all of whom take the lead on domestic and international projects. Li Hao is known for his energy sector expertise, with particular experience in renewables. Ping Gu focuses on patent litigation for manufacturing and energy sector clients.
‘Dedicated and professional.’
‘Jun Cheng and his team have professional control capabilities for energy construction and investment projects, rich business experience, and can actively cooperate with clients.’
‘It has comprehensive and profound professional research on various types of photovoltaic projects and related laws and regulations in all regions of the country.’
‘Zhong Lun Law Firm’s lawyers are highly dedicated, with efficient communication anytime and anywhere, even affecting all parties in the transaction.’
Sinomine Resource Group
China-LAC Industrial Cooperation Investment Fund
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
Shanghai SUS Environment
TBEA Shenyang Transformer Group
Organic Waste Systems (OWS)
China General Nuclear YangJiang Offshore Wind Power
Central Southern China Electric Power Design Institute
Huaneng Tiancheng Financial Leasing
Zhejiang Energy Equity Investment Fund Management
Zhejiang Zhejiang Energy Green Energy Equity Investment Fund Partnership (LLP)
State Power Investment Group Zhejiang New Energy
China Resources Power Holdings
Jiangsu Huadian Energy
Ecology and Environment Department of Jiangsu Province
China Huadian Beijing Fuel Logistics
Ecology and Environment Bureau of Zhenjiang City
China National Uranium Corporation (CNUC)
China Nuclear Industry 22nd Construction
China Harbor Engineering Company
China Zhongyuan Engineering Corporation (CZEC)
China National Nuclear Corporation
State Grid Corporation of China
China Nuclear Energy Industrial Corporation
- Advised the China National Uranium Corporation on its acquisition of Rio Tinto Group’s stake in Rössing Uranium
- Advised Sinomine Resource Group on its acquisition of several subsidiaries of Cabot Corporation
- Advised China Harbor Engineering Company on its acquisition of a hydroelectric project in Nepal.
Broad & Bright's team focuses on energy and construction projects, with a major domestic slant, although it is also active in Belt and Road Initiative projects overseas. The group advises domestic and international clients on M&A and green-field investments, as well as the construction aspects of energy and infrastructure projects. The group is situated in the corporate and capital markets practice, co-led by Hongchuan Liu, Philips Ding and Lei Shi.
Other key lawyers:
Dongguan Development Holdings
China Virtue (Beijing) International Engineering Technology
Foshan Legislation Bureau
Beijing Fortune Consulting
China International Engineering Consulting Corporation
Leaders Office for Guangzhou Central City Transportation Project
Hunan Sunwalk Construction Group
Changsha Department of Finance
- advised Dongguan Development on the Dongguan D Rail Transition Line 1 PPP project.
- Advised the Shantou Environmental Health Administration on a BOT project for the construction of a waste disposal service.
- Advised Shenzhen Zhuanji Public Consulting on a regeneration project in a number of Shenzhen districts.
Guantao Law Firm
Guantao Law Firm has wide-ranging expertise in infrastructure and projects, including in relation to investment projects, planning permission, public-private-partnership (PPP) projects, as well as tax issues arising from projects and disputes. Sector expertise is particularly strong for petrochemical and energy matters. The infrastructure projects team is led by Wei Jiang, who has vast experience advising SOEs. Ling Xu heads the group focusing on energy, with a practice that consists of transactional and contentious issues. Hongming Xiao is an expert in energy and mining sector M&A and foreign direct investment.
China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation
Shaanxi Yanchang Petroleum (Group)
Aluminum Corporation of China
China National Nuclear Power
China Energy Reserve and Chemicals Group Company
China Aluminum International Engineering Corporation
SDIC Power Holdings
Shaanxi Coal and Chemical Industry Group
State Grid Corporation of China (SGCC)
Petrochemical Industries Company
- Advised China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation on providing overseas investment insurance to China Datang Overseas Investment for its 2*200MW coal fired steam power plant in Meulaboh, Indonesia.
- Advised Shaanxi Yanchang Petroleum (Group) on its public issuance of RMB10bn renewable corporate bonds in 2019.
- Advised Zhejiang Communication Investment Group on the acquisition of three road construction companies.
Jincheng Tongda & Neal
Jincheng Tongda & Neal's projects and energy department advised SOEs, PRC funds and multinationals on a range of natural resource extraction and production projects, as well as cross-border transactions of projects abroad. Jun Peng is the overall practice head, while Xiaodong Zheng leads on M&A. Wu Annie is a key name for energy and natural resources-related transactions.
China Energy Investment Corporation
China Shenhua Overseas Development & Investment
Ministry of Natural Resources of the People’s Republic of China
China Iron and Steel Industry Association
China Nonferrous Metal Industry’s Foreign Engineering and Construction
China Communications Construction Company
China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation
Zijin Mining Group Company
- Advised China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation on its successful bid for the design, construction, maintenance and operation of the Bogata City Regio Tram project in Colombia.
- Advised Shanghai ShangPower Xinda Renewable Energy Technology Company on the developement of the Fengxian offshore wind power station.
- Advised Shagang Group on its acquisition of Global Switch Holdings
Tian Yuan Law Firm's energy and natural resources team has expertise in greenfield developments, M&A, PPP projects and project financing, as well as project disputes. The group has a strong practice advising Chinese companies on their Belt and Road investments abroad. Jie Chai heads the team, with extensive experience in cross-border transactions. Xiong Yin specialises in foreign direct investment, and overseas investment. Xiaodong Zhu is noted for project finance.
China Aerospace Construction Group
China Jiangsu International Economic and Technical Cooperation Group
China Nuclear Industry 23 Construction
China Yangtze Power
Export-Import Bank of China
Huainan Mining Group
Hydro Global Investment
Ming Yang Smart Energy Grou
Metallurgical Corporation of China
Shanghai Green Pulse New Energy Development
- Advised China Yangtze Power on its $3.59 bn acquisition of 83.6% of shares in Peruvian company Luz Del Sur
- Advised Sinohydro Corporation on the EPC Project of the 730 MW Combined Cycle Power Plant in Rumailah (financed by a syndication of four banks in China with the support of the first sovereign guarantee for private-sector project issued by the Ministry of Finance of Iraq)
- Advised on Huanqiu Hydropower Peru SanGabán III Hydropower Project on an equity investment by China-LAC Cooperation Fund
Jingtian & Gongcheng's energy and natural resources team is deeply involved in projects arising from the Belt and Road initiative, across west Africa and south and central Asia; advising Chinese companies on their investments overseas. The group is led by corporate lawyer Xiang Gao and includes Guanchun Dai, Xiaofeng Cheng and Guangzhou-based Linming Jin who recently joined from Broad & Bright.
China Harbour Engineering
Jiayou International Logistics
China Merchants Shekou Industrial Zone Holdings
Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt
Hongkong Excellen Mining Investment
Union of Mining Companies with Chinese Capital (USMCC) in DRC
Chambishi Copper Smelter
Nanjing Hanrui Cobalt
Lualaba Copper Smelter
China Huaneng Group
Shanghai Hongda Mining
- Advised China Harbour Engineering Company on financing, construction and sub-consession arrangement issues arising from its involvement in the Lekki Port project in Nigeria.
- Advised China Nonferrous Metal Mining Group on its cooperation with Democratic Republic of Congo SOE Gécamines on the Kambove mining project
- Advised Jiayou International Logistics on its PPP project for the modernisation of the Kasumbalesa-Sankana road in the Democratic Republic of Congo.