Fangda Partners stands out for its domestic and international arbitration offerings. The group is often instructed to assist Chinese companies with parallel proceedings in various jurisdictions, working closely with the offices in Hong Kong. The group also acts for multinationals; for example, Beijing-based co-head Helen Shi recently representing Apple at the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) in a FRAND case against a Chinese licensor. Heading the team in Shanghai are Nuo Ji, Benjamin Miao and Daniel Huang. In Beijing, Shi leads the team alongside Ming Kang. Yanhua Lin has made a name for herself in relation to emergency reliefs and injunctions during arbitration proceedings, while Yang Liu is building a strong practice in international arbitrations, with experience before arbitration centres in Hong Kong and Singapore. Yang Weiguo has joined as a partner from Guantao Zhongmao.
Dispute resolution: Arbitration: PRC firms in China
Guangdong Dongfang Precision Science & Technology
Jixiang Information Technology (Shanghai)
- Representing Apple (licensee) in a dispute involving the determination of a Fair Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory (“FRAND”) rate for patents essential to a Chinese mandatory technological standard.
- Acted for Shenzhen Fuyu Holdings as respondent in an arbitration at the Shanghai Arbitration Commission against a Shenzhen-listed company in relation to a financial dispute over asset restructuring transactions.
- Representing Jixiang Information Technology (Shanghai in arbitration proceedings and assisting Jixiang and Hang Tai Yue in organizing a comprehensive defence both at the procedural and substantive levels.
The team at Global Law Office consists of experienced arbitration counsel and arbitration panellists, who act for domestic and foreign entities in international arbitration forums including CIETAX HKIAC, BIAC and SIAC. The group is most noted for representing financial institutions, including commercial banks and asset management groups. Co-leading the group are international arbitration specialist Yifeng Gao and Xiusong Xing, who serves as vice chairman of the arbitration and alternative dispute resolution committee of the ICC in China. Jingye Jiang is the name to note for maritime and shipping arbitration. Based in Shenzhen, Jack Law is building a solid practice representing SOEs in arbitrations involving foreign-related contracts. Of counsel Heng Wang is increasingly strong for international arbitrations concerning equity financing and international sales of goods.
- Represented the PRC subsidiary of a multinational company in an arbitration before CIETAC against a Chiense civil construction company for costs incurred for overseas logistics services.
- Defended a PRC limited partnership in an arbitration before CIETAC regarding alleged breach of a shareholder agreement.
- Represented a PRC luxury car dealer before the CIETAX against a wholly-owned foreign enterprise arising from dealer agreements.
King & Wood Mallesons
With a global office network, King & Wood Mallesons is well-placed to handle international arbitrations, in addition to PRC-based proceedings. The team has experience in arbitration forums in the PRC, Hong Kong, Australia, the US and UK, working closely with the firm's offices in those jurisdictions. The group was boosted in 2019 with the arrival of Jessica Fei to the Shandong office from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP, adding significant international arbitration expertise. Leading the department is Tao Huang, who specialises in commercial and maritime cases. Ye Ariel is a highly experienced international arbitration lawyer, representing Chinese companies abroad. Mengdan Lv is an up and coming practitioner, and is instructed by domestic and foreign clients in PRC and international arbitrations.
China General Nuclear Energy Development (CGN) and its subsidiaries
Chow Tai Fook Enterprise Limited (CTF) and its affiliates
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Guangzhou Liuhua branch
China Agri-Products Exchange, Wuhan Baisazhou Agricultural By-Product Grand Market Company
Hebei Jinxi Iron & Steel Group
Redsolar New Energy Technology (Redsolar) and Mingyang Smart Energy Group
Zhong Lun Law Firm's arbitration group has experience before a variety of domestic and international arbitration forums, such as CIETAC, HKIAC, SIAC and the Beijing and Shanghai arbitration commissions. The group predominantly represents major Chinese corporates, including SOEs. The main contact is experienced arbitration panellist Lijun Cao, whose clients are an impressive mix of multinationals, foreign-invested companies, funds and SOEs. Dual-PRC and -New York qualified Wei Sun is another panel arbitrator on the team, with extensive expertise in international arbitrations. At the more junior end, Zoe Zhang is increasingly known for international arbitration.
Shenzhen Jiu Jiu Yi Tian Xing Investment Fund Enterprise
International Group Management (Shanghai) Limited
DEG – Deutsche Investitions–und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
Archer Daniels Midland Singapore
Beijing Carrefour Commercial
Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt
Beijing Urban Construction Group
China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation (Sinosure)
Ministry of Commerce of the People’s Republic of China (MOFCOM)
China United Coalbed Methane Corporation (CUCBM), a subsidiary of China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC)
Beijing Lufthansa Center
China National Oil and Gas Pipeline Corporation
China Electronic Technology Group
China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation
China Clean Development Mechanism Fund Management Center (China Public Private Partnerships Center)
China Cinda Asset Management
Inner Mongolia Mengniu Dairy (Group)
China Energy Engineering Group Guangdong Electronic Power Design Institute
China Railway Sixth Group
China Railways Shanhaiguan Bridge Company
Beijing Shougang International Engineering and Technology Co. Ltd.
Xinyuan (China) Real Estate Hangzhou Huiyuan Investment Management Partnership
Zhejiang Haining Jiahui Investment Limited Partnership
Tibet Zhongsheng Xinrui Venture Capital Center (limited partnership)
Umbro (Beijing) Sports Goods
Jinggong Steel International, Jinggong Steel Trading & Contracting
BGP Congo SARLU (Filiale)
Büro 3 Marketing
North China Petroleum Administration
Xinxing Cathay International Group
- Representing Deutsche Investitions–und Entwicklungsgesellschaft, a wholly-owned subsidiary of KfW Group as applicant in an action before to the Shenzhen Intermediate People’s Court of Guangzhou Province apply for recognition and enforcement of an arbitral award rendered by ICC in Hong Kong (on-going).
- Representing a subsidiary of COFCO, a central SOE as claimant in an arbitration case before HKIAC against three affiliates of JDB group, and the tribunal granted almost all of the clients’ claims; meanwhile, representing the client as respondent in a second arbitration case initiated by an affiliate of JDB group, and the arbitration proceedings is now in suspension.
- Represented ZT Company and FH Company in an arbitral case amounting to RMB1.6bn in China International Economic and Trade Arbitration.
AnJie Law Firm's team is led by Arthur Dong, who regularly acts as a commercial arbitrator, as well as representing clients before abitral tribunals in the ICC, SIAC, HKIAC, CIETAC and the Beijing and Shanghai arbitration commissions. In addition to representing domestic clients, the group also has experience acting for foreign clients before domestic tribunals. Vicky Zhao is another name to note for international arbitration.
Beijing Zhongtian Hongye Real Estate Consulting
China Everbright Bank
SAIF Partners China
Everbright Assets Management
Dongfang Electric International Corporation
NetQin (Beijing) Technology
NORINCO International Cooperation
At East & Concord Partners, the group specialises in foreign-related arbitration, particularly arising from the energy, automotive and mechanical engineering sectors. Managing partner Qi Zhou plays a prominent role in the department and also act as a senior arbitrator at CIETAC. The team is jointly led by Chaoyi Ji and Huanran Qiao,
Other key lawyers:
The Coca-Cola Company
State Development and Investment Corporation
- Represented Coca-Cola Beverage (Shanghai) Company in an international arbitration in SHIAC against a world leading food equipment manufacturer. This arbitration case concerned hidden design defects of a production line provided by the manufacturer. This case caused widespread attention in food industry.
- Represented dGav Capital in an arbitration before SHIAC against the controller of an animal vaccine company. This arbitration case concerned the applicability of value adjustment mechanism. The team broke through the general trial practice and achieved excellent results creatively.
- Represented celebrity Zhang Lan, as well as Grand Lan Holdings Group (BVI), Qiao Jang Lan Development in a judicial review of an arbitration, the first of its kind in the supreme court’s international commercial division.
Guantao Law Firm's team stands out for its domestic arbitration expertise, demonstrated by Shouzhi An recent advice to the General Administration of Sport on its judicial review mechanism for international sports arbitral awards. Lawyers are also regularly instructed by PRC companies on international arbitrations. Leiming Sheng and Shaosong Sun jointly lead the group.
China Energy Reserve and Chemicals Group
LG Electronics (China)
China Pacific Insurance (Group)
Ping An Trust
Xinhua Winshare Publishing and Media
Shanghai Chengtou Group Cooperation
Shanghai Guosheng Group
Shanghai Environment Group
Shanghai Shangshi Venture Investment
- Advised the General Administration of Sport of China on the Research on the judicial review mechanism for international sports arbitration awards
- Represented a Hebei-based construction company before the Beijing Arbitration Commission in a dispute against a railway construction company concerning an equipment leasing contract.
Jingtian & Gongcheng's team handles domestic and international arbitrations, predominantly concerning trade investment, private equity transactions, real estate, banking and intellectual property. The department is jointly led by Lei Wu and CIETAC and Beijing arbitration commission arbitrator Chungang Dong. Sanqiao Xu is another arbitration panellist with a substantial practice representing Chinese companies.
United Nations Global Compact
Standard & Poor’s
Earnest & Young
Dun & Bradstreet
Zhongzhi Enterprise Group
Beijing Federation of Supply and Marketing Cooperatives
Zhejiang Tak Television
Guangdong Puxiang Automotive Board
Beijing Phoenix United Hospital Management Consulting
Guangxi Golden Throat Food Limited
a state-owned trust company
Yicheng New Material Technology (Shanghai)
Mercuria Energy Trading
Junefield (Building Material)
China Resources (Holdings) and its subsidiaries.
China P&T Appliances and its subsidiaries.
China CITIC Bank
- Represented the subsidiary of a French Fortune 500 company at a CIETAC arbitration and a parallel arbitration filed by the respondent regarding the performance of a contract.
- Represented the Guangdong Puxiang Automotive Board in an investment agreement arbitration in the Shenzhen Court of Arbitration.
- Represented a Chinese company in an arbitration initiated by an Australian company in HKIAC.
The arbitration group at Beijing Cyan Law Firm has experience in domestic proceedings before the Beijing arbitration commission, as well as internationally before CIETAC and in Singapore. The group is led by Wang Jun, who often acts as an international arbitrator. Senior associate Ziwei Zhang has knowledge in civil and common law, which he puts to good use in international arbitrations.
Other key lawyers:
DaHui Lawyers have experience before PRC and international arbitration forums, predominantly focusing on foreign-related cross-border disputes. The team is jointly led by Arthur Ma, who represents SOEs and domestic corporates, Xing Wan, experienced in intellectual property and real estate and construction cases, and financial disputes expert Owen Yang. Lin Bai is another name to note for international arbitration.
Air Products and Chemicals (China) Investment
Branson Ultrasonics (Shanghai)
CBS Studio International
China Construction International
China Credit Trust
China Film Media Asia Audio Video Distribution
China Huadian Group Cleaning Energy
China Private Science and Technology Entrepreneurs Association
HT Cathy Investment Management
MIS Quality Management
Petro-Cyberworks Information Technology
Philips (China) Investment
Qi An Xin Group
Reed Business Information
Reed Exhibitions (China)
Rongjun (Zhuhai) Investment Management Partnership
The Boeing Company
Trammo (Shanghai) Trading
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in six arbitration proceedings to recover over RMB2bn in misappropriated funds.
- Represented Xinxing Pipes in a CIETAC arbitration over cross-border convertible bonds in an amount exceeding RMB400m
DeHeng Law Offices has a distinct arbitration and mediation department focusing on disputes arising from the Belt and Road Initiative. The team has experience before CIETAC, the China Maritime Arbitration Commission and domestic arbitration forums. Lijin Xie draws on vast experience in commercial arbitration to lead the team, which includes maritime and international trade expert Philip Peng.
China Communications Import & Export Corporation
- Represented China Communications Import & Export Corporation in an AIAC arbitration against a ship builder in parallel proceedings in China and Malaysia.
- Representing a Chinese agricultural product company in an ICC arbitration against a US buyer in a sale of goods and farming contractual dispute.
- Represented a investment company in a CIETAC arbitration in a valuation adjustment mechanism dispute.
The group at Huamao & Guigu Law Firm has particular experience in commercial arbitration relating to the banking and insurance industries, although lawyers are also instructed on cases relating to real estate and construction. The team is well-versed in international arbitrations and often represents foreign clients in China. The department is led by co-founding partner Lixia Zhang, who is a veteran of domestic and international commercial arbitration. Head of the corporate department Ling Li also brings her expertise to bear in arbitrations.
Other key lawyers:
At JunHe LLP, lawyers are well-versed in domestic and foreign-related arbitration proceedings before PRC arbitration commissions, as well as international arbitrations held in China and overseas. The group also has experience in enforcing overseas arbitral awards in China. Co-heading the practice are Beijing's Weining Zou, Qing Li and George Wang in Shanghai.
- Represented Jin Hua Sub-branch of China Pacific Insurance (Group) as the respondent in a CIETAC arbitration concerning credit insurance contracts, against Chejiang Hansheng Xiechuang.
The group at Llinks Law Offices has extensive experience in domestic arbitration proceedings, before commissions in Shanghai and Shenzhen; and is often instructed on international arbitrations at CIETAC and in Hong Kong and Singapore. The overall dispute resolution department is led by Charles Qin, who is a seasoned arbitration counsel. David Wu is another veteran of arbitration, and recently advised the China Basketball Association on the establishment of its disciplinary and dispute resolution mechanism.
Shen Zhen Rongtong Capital Management
Shanghai Egoo Networks
DSM Food Specialties China Enterprise
China Pacific Insurance (Group)
BOC International (China)
- Represented Jianye Football Club before the FIFA Dispute Resolution Comittee concerning a buy-out clause in an employment contract.
- AdvisedCBA League Sports on the establishment of its disciplinary and dispute resolution committee.
Tian Yuan Law Firm's broader specialisms include equity investment, non-performing asserts, capital management, intellectual property and real estate; and the firm's disputes lawyers regularly draw on this expertise in domestic and international commercial arbitrations. The group is led by managing and co-founding partner Lihua Wang. Xiaodong Zhu, focusing on international commercial affairs, is the name for international arbitration, while Yan Zhou has deep experience in domestic arbitration, particularly in relation to the Beijing arbitration commission.
CGN Juner New Materials
CNBM General Technology
Hong Kong CDIB Fund
Hong Kong Development Tutu Fund
An investment fund
An energy manufacturing enterprise
A subsidiary of a central enterprise
A sewage treatment enterprise in Singapore
A US company
One of China’s largest supply chain companies
- Represented Hong Kong CDIB Fund in a case on the valuation adjustment mechanism (VAM), brought against the founding shareholders of Xiamen Tutwo.
- Represented CNBM General Technology in the arbitration concerning equity debt disputes with Tianlong Materials
- Represented one of China’s largest supply chain companies in the handling of international energy futures trading contract disputes arbitrated in Singapore under the International Chamber of Commerce’s International Court of Arbitration Rule
TianTong Law Firm
Lawyers at TianTong Law Firm have bast experience in domestic and international arbitration, and many on the team have acted as panellists for arbitration forums internationally and in China. Heading the arbitration and foreign-related disputes department, Mary Zhu acts for a range of SOEs and financial institutions. David Gu specialises in international commercial arbitration has is qualified to practice law in China and New York.