TMT in Chile
Barros & Errázuriz fields a four-member TMT department that is experienced in digital television permits, cloud computing, radio and satellite licenses, telecoms infrastructure regulation, and mobile and landline services. Other areas of strength include acting in relation to internet service providers, optic fibre operators, IP phone services, online content transmission, and technology agreements and transfers. With over 25 years' experience in TMT matters, José Ignacio Ovalle, recently advised OneWeb, a multinational satellite company that is developing a global network of 600 satellites, on obtaining the necessary authorisations, permits and licenses to operate satellite telecoms services in Chile. At senior associate level, Andrés Rodríguez focuses on telecoms, IT and data privacy. However, experienced associate Carolina Cabrera left in September 2019 to return to Accenture.
‘The team works in a very integrated and very practical way. I have found a prompt answer every time I needed it.‘
‘A team of professionals who not only know about the TMT sector, but also how to apply such knowledge with logic and honesty.‘
‘José Ignacio Ovalle and senior associate Andrés Rodríguez have proven to be professionals with solid knowledge and a degree of practicality, which are very useful when advising us on our affairs.‘
Andean Telecom Partners
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Advises DirecTv (the largest satellite television company in Chile), on an ongoing basis, regarding the regulatory issues surrounding the operation of satellite television services in Chile.
- Advised Torres Unidas, and its subsidiaries, on the regulatory issues surrounding the operation and development of telecoms infrastructure in Chile.
- Assisted Lycamobile, the world’s largest mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), with obtaining the necessary authorisations to operate as an MVNO in Chile.
- Advised Horizon Wireless, which delivers custom-built and designed networks, on the 5G public tender carried out by the Chilean Government.
The 14-strong team at full-service major, Carey, has broad experience in TMT sector-related regulatory, corporate, financial and contractual matters. The practice houses lawyers with specialised expertise in telecoms, media, technology contracting, internet and net neutrality, the Internet of Things (IoT), and over-the-top (OTT) and online platforms. Other areas of strength include cloud technologies, robotics, blockchain, smart contracts, cryptocurrencies, algorithms, artificial intelligence (AI), data protection and cybersecurity. Alfonso Silva and regulatory counsel Eduardo Martin are both renowned TMT lawyers in Chile; while IP-head Guillermo Carey's specialisms include life sciences, licensing, distribution and franchise agreements, technology law, electronic commerce, and technology transfer. Also key to the group is counsel Paulina Silva, currently vice-chair of the IBA technology law committee's internet business sub-committee. Key associate-level support is provided by Javier Undurraga, Javiera Sepúlveda and Raúl Mazzarella. Since publication, Silva and Sepúlveda have left the firm to establish specialist data privacy boutique, Bitlaw, which opened it's doors in January 2021.
Asociación de Marketing Directo y Digital de Chile
Hewlett Packard Financial Services
Dentsu Aegis Network
- Advises WOM on all the corporate, regulatory, financing and antitrust aspects of its mobile telephone and data transmission operations in Chile.
- Assisted Inria Chile, a centre of excellence dedicated to technology research and development, with the design and drafting of a contractual framework for agile software development projects.
- Advised Asociación de Marketing Directo y Digital de Chile on the implementation of its online portal for the receipt of complaints.
- Advised Amazon on regulatory matters, which concerned the provision of satellite services in Chile.
- Advises Motorola Mobility on corporate, financial, regulatory and litigation issues, in relation to the provision of its business and services in Chile.
Baker McKenzie Chile
Baker McKenzie Chile leverages off its international network to assist its TMT sector clients, whose operations require co-ordinated global assistance. The practice's scope of advice covers internet-based services, digital tool projects, network infrastructure companies and media platforms; it is also specialised in advising on sophisticated telecoms infrastructure. In addition, the group has advised several prominent satellite operators on their regulatory and telecoms developments. Diego Ferrada has longstanding experience in working with telecoms and technology companies on regulatory issues and transactions; and Jorge Álvarez is the associate to note.
Sony Music Chile
- Assisted Sensus USA with obtaining experimental telecoms licenses from the Subsecretaría de Telecomunicaciones de Chile – SUBTEL.
- Advised Iridium Communications on the installation of a satellite teleport for Iridum Constellation.
- Acted for Discovery Education (DE) in its partnership with Chile’s Ministry of Education, which involved a programme that uses DE’s digital educational content and platform in classrooms.
Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana fields a seven-strong team that has broad TMT sector experience. Representative areas of expertise include the design and application of regulations, contract negotiations, TMT-related litigation, and TMT projects involving Chile's public authorities. Former legal adviser to the Undersecretary of Telecommunications, Guillermo de la Jara is widely respected for his expertise in regulatory matters that involve the telecoms and media sectors. Founding partner Octavio Bofill is also experienced in technology, media and telecoms matters.
Televisión Nacional de Chile
Fiscalía Nacional Económica
- Acted for Grupo Copesa, a major media and communications holding companies in Chile, on obtaining approval from the National Antitrust Prosecutor for a restructuring that involved its broadcasting assets.
- Advised state broadcaster Televisión Nacional de Chile on obtaining permits to operate satellite transmission data public services.
- Advised the FNE on the development of a legal report which analysed the application of article 38 of the Press Law in relation to transactions involving free-to-access television channels or broadcasting stations.
Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos' 11-strong TMT group is best known for assisting international and local IT, telecoms, media and internet companies with their investments in local companies, joint ventures, transactional IP and litigation. It also advises on the regulatory aspects of IT and media projects, as well as data processing, large infrastructure projects with technological components, and related corporate matters. Rodrigo Lavados and Francisco J Illanes head the technology, privacy and media group, while Raimundo Moreno specialises in contentious matters. Key support is provided by senior associate Felipe Fernández, who moved over from the firm's IP wing, Sargent & Krahn in January 2019.
Polla Chilena de Beneficencia
- Successfully represented Google in over 20 constitutional actions at Supreme Court level (filed during 2018 and 2019), which were based on alleged violations of honour, privacy and the right to emotional well-being.
- Advised Turner International Latin America on the acquisition of CDF, a pay-TV sports channel.
- Advised Peruvian financial group, Credicorp, on its purchase of the digital business unit of Chilean online payment portal, Multicaja.
FerradaNehme's seven-strong group, which includes three experienced partners -Nicole Nehme, Stella Muñoz and Benjamín Mordoj- is widely respected in the Chilean legal market for its advice on the national and international regulation of media and content, data protection and privacy, technology and infrastructure, and telecoms. Clients also benefit from the TMT practice's frequent interaction with the firm's reputed antitrust and economic regulation, consumer law, public law and litigation practices. Key support is provided by director Sebastián Dufeu, senior associate Sebastián Morales and associate Nicolás Morales.
- Advised HP on the certification of equipment in accordance with technical regulations.
- Assisted Falabella with the development of its e-commerce platform.
- Advised VTR on various topics, which involved the radioelectric spectrum and future 5G network development in Chile.
Guerrero Olivos' nine-member department is highly experienced in TMT-related public law and regulatory issues. Leading the TMT group, Juan Enrique Allard has over 20 years' TMT sector expertise, including day-to-day matters as well as complex work, such as personal data regulations and new technological platforms. Eduardo Cordero, who leads the public law and regulated markets group, and José Gabriel Undurraga (whose practice includes telecoms and technology), along with senior associate and IP head, Diego Morandé, are also key contacts.
‘They are a customer-oriented firm. Their team members have the capability of understanding perfectly what we, as clients, want, so when executing a project our view gets reflected in the legal structure of a commercial negotiation.‘
‘Their commitment to get the job done is something I would like to highlight the most.‘
National Assets Ministry
- Assists Amazon with its TMT matters in Chile.
- Advises DXC Technology, an American multinational corporation that provides B2B IT services, on its TMT matters in Chile.
- Acts for Facebook on several TMT matters that involve its data centre regulations.
The nine-strong department at Magliona Abogados is highly experienced in IP-related TMT issues. Other areas of notable strength include technology contracts, software licensing, data processing platforms, electronic contracts, data protection and privacy policies, and security and IT crime. Managing partner Claudio Magliona is enormously experienced across the TMT sector and its associated corporate requirements; Nicolás Yuraszeck focuses on new technologies, telecoms law and IP, with particular expertise in public policy and government relations; and Giovanni Donati is a TMT, corporate, M&A and IP specialist. Additional attorney support is provided by practice director Carlos Araya.
‘The team knows the way the company works, making it easy to co-ordinate the efforts of our in-house attorneys with their attorneys. It compares favourably for the speed of the service provided and the depth of its work.‘
‘They differ positively because they are lawyers who are specialised in technology, media and telecoms. They know the main IT service providers, they know how to negotiate at the highest level, and they accompany in-house lawyers all the way.‘
Orange France Telecom
Correos de Chile National Post office
Cementos Bio Bio
Asociación Internacional de Internet
- Advises Google, on an ongoing basis, on public policy issues and its government relations, including data centre permits.
- Advises Airbnb on an ongoing basis.
- Assists Autodesk with software license compliance issues.
CMS Carey & Allende enjoys a longstanding relationship with Sonda, the largest Latin American-owned IT company. The firm also has a significant telecoms practice that provides advisory services on regulatory compliance and the development of local telecom infrastructure projects. The practice fields eight lawyers, including two partners: telecoms and IT expert Ramón Valdivieso; and Diego Rodríguez, who assists with new business in the IT and fin-tech sectors. Notable support is provided by both senior associate Alejandro Celedón and associate Ricardo Celedón.
‘I find it a very good team – very proactive and committed. They are fast, creative and also good negotiators. They understand our business and technology companies in general.‘
‘Diego Rodríguez understands technology companies. It is important to understand this particular industry well in order to give good legal advice.‘
Charles Taylor Adjusting
- Advised Ignacio Canals on the sale of over 70% of its shares in Lemontech, a ‘software-as-a-service’ (SaaS) company that specialises in developing software for lawyers, to Silicon Valley investment company, Accel-KKR.
Contreras Velozo's seven-strong department advises major Chilean entities on the full spectrum of TMT services, including regulatory, antitrust, corporate and litigation issues. It regularly acts for Telefónica Chile, the main Chilean telecoms operator, and is also active in the electronic payments industry. The practice group also advises companies that produce television content, streaming and digital magazines. Javier Velozo is recommended for TMT-related competition and regulatory issues; and criminal litigation dispute resolution head Francisco Velozo is also a key contact.
Alianza contra la Piraterìa
- Assisted Telefónica Group with the Chilean Telecoms Regulator (Subtel)’s request that the Competition Court establish conditions for defining a new spectrum cap for mobile telecoms operators.
The result of the September-2019 merger of longstanding local firm Estudio Jurídico Otero with Madrid-headquartered multinational operation ECIJA, ECIJA Otero is undoubtedly best known in the technology-telecoms-IT segment, where both firms enjoyed long pedigrees. The firm fields a four strong practice group in the area, which brings together managing partner Gerardo Otero L (new technologies, TMT and IT), Spain-qualified finance specialist Alfredo Moreno Giersiepen, and senior associates Dolores Echeverría and Javier Sabido, who co-direct the practice. Echeverría's broad practice includes telecoms experience as well as IT matters, while Sabido's practice centres on IP, IT and media and entertainment. The practice group's recent activity has centred primarily on media and entertainment production matters, issues related to tax on digital services, and public bidding in relation to cloud computing services. Since publication, Echeverría has been appointed partner, effective as of January 2021.
Boston Consulting Group
Boomerang TV (
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Al Tiro Films
The Valley Digital
- Advised Boomerang TV on all legal aspects of the “Inés del Alma Mía” TV series, the largest Chilean-Spanish audiovisual co-production of recent years.
- Advising Micromundo Producciones on all legal aspects of Chilean feature film production, “The Mole Agent”.
- Advisory regarding challenges, contract amendments and business-model proposals considering the implementation of VAT taxation on digital services provision.
- Advisory regarding proposed new public bidding procedures for cloud computing services.
Estudio Jurídico Otero
In 2019, Estudio Jurídico Otero merged with Spanish law firm ECIJA, becoming Ecija Otero under the leadership of original founding partner Gerardo Otero. However, not all has run smoothly and early 2020 saw the reincorporation of Estudio Jurídico Otero under the leadership of Miguel Otero. Crucially, in terms of TMT work, key practitioner Macarena López -head of the firm's TMT, privacy, cybersecurity and IP practice for over 15 years- has returned to the newly reconstituted office. The highly-experienced and 'hands on' López undertakes a broad range of matters including software development agreements, licensing, computer crime, technology contracts and platforms, and data protection and privacy policies, among other matters.
Gutiérrez & Arrieta
Gutiérrez & Arrieta is a seven-strong regulatory and technology law boutique that covers TMT and electronic commerce; data protection; public law, regulation and government relations; along with associated compliance, corporate and contentious matters. Founding partner Raúl Arrieta Cortés heads the regulatory and technology practice underpinned with broad expertise in both public and private law. Key support comes from Javier Pérez Vera, who handles civil litigation as well as technology-related mandates.
The 11-strong, multi-disciplinary TMT group at full-service firm Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría includes lawyers with expertise in banking, competition, corporate, data privacy and regulatory issues, among others. Eduardo Escalona leads the multijurisdictional firm's regional TMT practice and, together with Ignacio Larraín, is one of the partners in charge of the firm’s recently established digital desk initiative. Alberto Pulido A heads up the firm's regional technology committee.
‘They have a lot of knowledge in this area and contribute to solving problems in a simple way (unlike other firms that make issues more complex), with a very high level of communication with the client.‘
‘They work quickly and in accordance with clients’ requirements.‘
‘Excellent level of communication with clients.‘
‘They are facilitators of agreements and search for solutions with dedication, knowledge and speed.‘
The Walt Disney Company
Twenty-first Century Fox
Metro / Metropago
Didi Mobility Information Technology
Iberoamericana Radio Chile
Bío Bío Comunicaciones
Compañía Chilena de Comunicaciones
Red Televisiva Megavisión
Iberoamericana Radio Chile
UC Christus Servicios Clínicos
Red Eléctrica del Norte and Transmisora Eléctrica del Norte
Instituto Internacional de Artes Culinarias y Servicios
- Advised The Walt Disney Company on Chilean telecoms and network regulatory matters.
Prieto Abogados' eight-member team demonstrates expertise in the telecoms sector but is also active in matters involving the delivery of online services and the audiovisual sector, as well as in TMT-related joint venture and M&A transactions. Other areas of focus include cloud computing/storage and big data services, and the development of other next-generation information and communication technology. Mario Gorziglia is the principal adviser, with corporate finance partner Gerardo Cruzat also active on contractual matters in the media segment. However, former partner Cristóbal Villarino and senior associate Juan Andres Ilharreborde left to found Villarino e Ilharreborde in January 2020.
‘Great strength in TMT-related corporate matters, including a lot of experience in M&A and JVs.‘
‘They bring a lot of clarity to the table, including both commercial and tax aspects.‘
Amazon Web Services
Empresas Red Salud
- Advises Huawei (Chile), on a daily basis, on its TMT and general corporate matters.