The 'solid' four-member group at Barros & Errázuriz has over 27 years' experience in advising both domestic and foreign companies on major TMT work; it is widely respected for its expertise in radio and satellite licences, digital television permits, cloud computing and telecoms infrastructure regulation. Other key areas include mobile and landline services, internet service providers, optic fibre operators, IP phone services, over-the-top content (OTT), and technology agreements and transfers; and in 2020, the firm remained active in its provision of regulatory advice to multinational satellite companies offering telecoms services in Chile. Practice head José Ignacio Ovalle has longstanding TMT experience, ranging from the commencement and subsequent development in Chile of mobile and satellite television to internet, IT and data privacy-related issues; the senior associate to note is 'incredibly knowledgeable' telecoms, IT and data privacy expert Andrés Rodríguez.
TMT in Chile
José Ignacio Ovalle
‘The team is very attentive and available, and always responds to communication promptly and without delay – they also have a very international mindset.‘
‘The depth of knowledge is very deep; we feel 100% supported by the firm and they operate in a very friendly and open way.‘
‘A solid team with clear and concise answers, which help carry projects forward.‘
‘Very professional lawyers with good response times and good results – a reliable office.‘
‘There are few law firms with telecoms practices as strong, solid and detailed.‘
‘An excellent willingness of the partners to participate in advising the company, particularly José Ignacio Ovalle.‘
‘Senior associate Andrés Rodríguez is the primary reason we want to continue working with the firm – incredibly knowledgeable about our industry, and he has the ability to put himself in our shoes and advise accordingly.‘
‘Senior associate Andrés Rodríguez shows initiative and forethought regarding our business activities. His communications are prompt, clear, honest and professional – I can trust his advice and recommendations.‘
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Mega (TV Station)
Bado Market (Sugart)
- Advised OneWeb on obtaining the necessary authorisations, permits and licences to operate satellite telecoms services in Chile.
- Advised Horizon Wireless on the 5G public tender carried out by the Government, which will define the future of Chile’s communications industry in the coming years.
- Advised Lycamobile on obtaining the necessary authorisations to operate as a mobile virtual network operator in Chile.
Full-service market major Carey houses a 12-strong group that has specialised expertise in telecoms, media, technology contracting, internet and net neutrality, the Internet of Things (IoT), machine-to-machine (M2M), and over-the-top (OTT) and online platforms. Other areas of focus include cloud technologies, robotics, blockchain, smart contracts, cryptocurrencies, algorithms, artificial intelligence (AI), data protection and cybersecurity. The practice's experience further extends to regulatory matters, such as obtaining, amending and cancelling licences for telecoms services. The practice is co-led by regulatory and transactions specialist Alfonso Silva; IP specialist Guillermo Carey, who advises high-impact Chilean technology companies on technology transfer and internationalisation issues; and counsel Eduardo Martin (regulatory, licences, permits and M&A). The associate to note is Raúl Mazzarella (blockchain/cryptocurrency, corporate law/foreign investment/M&A, international trade and direct selling). Former counsel Paulina Silva and associates Javier Undurraga and Javiera Sepúlveda recently left the firm.
Alfonso Silva; Guillermo Carey; Eduardo Martin
VTR Global Com
Dentsu Aegis Network
Instituto para la Resiliencia ante Desastres – Itrend
- Assists WOM with the corporate, regulatory, financing and antitrust aspects of its mobile telephone and data transmission operations in Chile, including the Chilean regulator’s 5G spectrum public bidding process.
- Assisted VTR Global Com with its negotiations with Canal del Fútbol (a Turner affiliate) surrounding a new agreement for the transmission (through several platforms) of football games.
- Advises Motorola Mobility on the corporate, financial, regulatory and litigation issues surrounding the provision of its business and services in Chile.
Baker McKenzie Chile
Leveraging its globally respected international network, Baker McKenzie Chile's four-member department advises a diverse portfolio of clients in the TMT sphere, including leading internet-based services and e-commerce giants. Representative experience includes assisting with projects involving digital tools, network infrastructure companies and media platforms. The practice's expertise also extends to data security, international data flow, data centres, telecoms infrastructure and IoT matters. In addition to his significant specialist expertise in corporate law, clients benefit from Diego Ferrada's longstanding experience in advising major telecoms and technology companies on regulatory issues and transactions; and at associate level, Jorge Álvarez's broad practice covers technology transformations, and digital and social media platforms.
‘The strengths are their knowledge of our industry and ability to guide our organisation as a client.‘
‘Very open to alternative points of view and they provide timely responses.‘
- Advised SES (one of the world’s leading satellite owners and operators) on a number of matters, including advising on the installation of satellite ground stations and incorporating a local subsidiary.
- Advised on the negotiation of a 12-year agreement with Century Link, which involved the purchase of rights over an international maritime fibre-optic cable connecting Brazil and Argentina.
- Provides ongoing regulatory advice to Space X in relation to telecoms licences for its satellite operations in Chile.
Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana has vast TMT sector experience, including the design and application of regulations, contracts, TMT-related litigation and legal reports. The ‘very accessible’ six-member group’s experience extends to government procedures, as well as TMT projects involving the public authorities. Founding partner Octavio Bofill is knowledgeale and experienced as regards telecom matters. Key associate support is provided by seniors Pablo Nogueira (publilc law and regulated markets) and Daniela Severin (competition law), with assistance from associate Jaime Ayala. However, key practice figure Guillermo de la Jara -a former legal adviser to the Undersecretary of Telecommunications- left the firm in June 2021.
‘What makes this practice unique is its complete knowledge of regulatory frameworks.‘
‘The written advice is not just technically very good, but also includes strategic visions in the event of a conflict with the regulatory authority.‘
‘They are a very accessible team that is always ready to support us, and always friendly, professional and knowledgeable about the law.‘
‘What makes them different is not only their impeccable command of the law, but also their professionalism and client service.‘
‘They have an excellent way of explaining legal issues in a way that is understood and does not seem complicated, which is very difficult to find – you feel like you are in the best possible hands.‘
Televisión Nacional de Chile
- Assisted TVI with its opposition before the Antitrust Court (TDLC) to VTR’s suit, which demanded the lifting of merger conditions (approved in 2004 by the TDLC).
- Advised Canal 13, one of the most important television channels in Chile, on the analogue-to-digital conversion of television concessions.
- Advised Globalsat (known in Latin America for telecoms technologies) on the preparation of a report on the regulatory aspects surrounding the introduction of a new satellite service.
Known for its strong technology background, Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos' 14-member group consistently assists major IT, telecoms, media and internet companies with their investments, joint ventures, transactional IP and litigation; it also has a robust regulatory practice in relation to IT and media projects, and is well known for its expertise in data processing, and large infrastructure projects involving technology components and corporate issues. Rodrigo Lavados (who also works on IP matters) leads the technology, privacy and media group alongside Francisco Illanes, who also heads the financial, banking and capital markets department. Additionally integral to the group are litigation and arbitration specialist Raimundo Moreno and banking and finance expert Juan Antonio Parodi. The department houses several associates, including Felipe Fernández, Gabriel Pensa and Cristóbal Morales.
Rodrigo Lavados; Francisco Illanes; Raimundo Moreno; Juan Antonio Parodi
Polla Chilena de Beneficencia
Chilevision (Television Broadcasting Company)
- Assisted with reaching an agreement with ATN, which acts for directors and scriptwriters in relation to IP rights.
- Successfully advised Banco Santander on its implementation of electronic and digital contracting.
- Advised HBO on the regulatory legal framework that is applicable to streaming and OTT services.
The experience of CMS Carey & Allende's seven-strong group ranges from hardware and software contract negotiations to IT service solutions, TMT-related M&A, financing and capital markets. The practice also fields experts in telecoms and IT service operators' strategic alliances, as well as telecoms-related regulatory compliance. The principal figures are corporate/M&A group co-head Ramón Valdivieso, who has substantial technology, media and communications sector knowledge; and IT specialist Diego Rodríguez, who assists with outsourcing agreements and software as a service (SaaS) contracts. The second line of advisers comprises highly regarded partner Ignacio Errazquin, who advises on telecoms-related merger control procedures; experienced senior associate Alejandro Celedón; and associate Ricardo Celedón, who rejoined in June 2020 from Berkeley University (after his LLM).
Ramón Valdivieso; Diego Rodríguez
‘They stay very involved with their clients and information flows easily.‘
‘Ramón Valdivieso is a great lawyer, who is attentive and ingenious.‘
- Advised Sonda on a licensing agreement.
FerradaNehme's six-member group consistently advises on telecoms and media regulation, e-commerce, information security, privacy, cross-border transactions involving technological services, and technological transformations; its expertise further extends to compliance, IT, tariff-setting, and related administrative procedures and litigation. Recently restructured, the TMT team now comprises two sub-areas: telecoms and media (regulation, litigation and complex negotiations), which is led by Nicole Nehme; and technology, data and cybersecurity, led by Jessica Matus, who joined in April 2020 as counsel from Marco Legal and was promoted to director eight months later. Also integral to the group are partner Stella Muñoz, who assists TMT clients with consumer protection advice, and director Sebastián Dufeu (competition law, telecoms and media law/regulation), along with senior associate Sebastián Morales and associate Nicolás Morales.
‘Expert lawyers who give personalised attention.‘
‘Great for its mix of know-how, professionalism, human qualities and detail.‘
‘Rated for their availability, professionalism, empathy and for working as clients’ partners.‘
Liberty Latin America
Asociación de Telefonía Móvil
- Advised Liberty Latin America on several transactions that involved in-depth analyses of Chilean telecoms regulations.
- Advised VTR Comunicaciones, one of the main Chilean telecoms companies, on three non-contentious procedures before the Competition Court that will determine the future of Chile’s 5G network.
- Assisted Asociación de Telefonía Móvil, a trade association comprising most of Chile’s main telecoms companies, with the assessment of the legality of a Technical Norm dictated by the Telecommunications Agency.
Fielding a nine-member team, Guerrero Olivos focuses on the legal, corporate and regulatory aspects of the TMT, data privacy and cybersecurity sectors; typical work includes technology-related IP issues, software and hardware matters, and drafting agreements. In addition, the practice regularly acts before the local regulator in both contentious and non-contentious matters. With over 20 years' TMT sector experience, Juan Enrique Allard's practice covers data privacy, IT, cybersecurity and new technological platforms; regulatory expert Eduardo Cordero assists telecoms companies with tariff-setting processes and in their relations with the telecoms regulator; and José Gabriel Undurraga advises on TMT-related public law matters. Senior associate and IP head Diego Morandé is another key member of the technology group.
Juan Enrique Allard; José Gabriel Undurraga; Eduardo Cordero
‘These lawyers have been with us from day one: they know us completely.‘
‘The best advice is that which is permanent and reliable – that is what this firm gives us.‘
‘They produce very favourable results for our company.‘
Stanley Black & Decker
United Parcel Service
Amazon Web Services
Western Union International
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Chilean Mobile Telephone Trade Association
National Assets Ministry
- Advised Whatsapp on data centre regulatory issues.
- Advised Banco Santander-Chile on the incorporation of a fintech subsidiary.
- Assisted Globalstar (American satellite communications company that operates a low Earth orbit satellite constellation for satellite phone and low-speed data communications) with applying to obtain a concession to operate phone satellite services.
Magliona Abogados' nine-strong TMT practice combines expertise in technology and IP with public policy and government relations experience. Typical work includes assisting with regulations and corporate structures for operational start-ups, as well as matters involving IP protection and labour relations. 'Standing out among the market's best lawyers', Claudio Magliona's extensive practice takes in corporate law and finance, technology, telecoms, intellectual and industrial property, and entertainment matters; with particular expertise in public policies and government relations, Nicolás Yuraszeck is experienced in new technologies, IP and telecoms law; and Giovanni Donati is a TMT-related corporate law specialist. At director level, Carlos Araya is an intellectual and industrial property expert, while Karla Cid, Bárbara Reyes and Ramon Rojas are also key attorneys.
Claudio Magliona; Nicolas Yuraszeck; Giovanni Donati; Carlos Araya
‘There is no other firm that has the knowledge, expertise, willingness and availability to serve its clients like Magliona Abogados.‘
‘The partners are available 24×7 to resolve and attend to clients’ requirements.‘
‘These lawyers have years of professional experience, and have solid industry knowledge and business acumen.‘
‘Claudio Magliona has extensive expertise, which makes him stand out among the market’s best lawyers; he is a professional with high ethical standards and expert in negotiating. He also has a capacity for speed and quality of response that cannot be found in other legal practices.‘
‘Nicolas Yuraszeck has a solid background in this area.‘
Ascenty Data Center
Google Data Center
Coordinador Electrico Nacional
Cementos Bio Bio
Correos de Chile National Post office
- Advises Google, on an ongoing basis, in relation to public policy, data centre permits, copyright law and data protection, among others.
- Advises Airbnb, on an ongoing basis, in relation to public policy, liability of intermediaries, sharing economy issues and taxation of digital services.
- Assists Netflix with digital service taxation issues, data protection and general regulatory advice.
Contreras Velozo's seven-member group advises on the full spectrum of TMT services, including regulatory, antitrust, corporate and dispute resolution issues. The practice is particularly active in the electronic payments industry, and additionally noted for its advice to companies that provide television content, streaming and digital magazines. A competition law expert, 'excellent lawyer' Javier Velozo is particularly focused on the telecoms sector through his ongoing assistance to Chile's main telecoms operator, Telefonica (Movistar); providing further support are criminal litigation dispute resolution head Francisco Velozo and dispute settlement lawyer Pablo Pardo.
Javier Velozo; Francisco Velozo
‘Always attentive to the immediate needs of the company.‘
‘Javier Velozo is an excellent lawyer who helped to solve the company’s issues efficiently; and he is always available to answer questions and meet the established deadlines.‘
‘Javier Velozo has been of exceptional legal support to our company – not only does he handle the issues very well, but he is always up to date and delivers good strategies to resolve conflicts.‘
‘Javier Velozo is meticulous, clear, well connected and an expert in the required topics, with additional knowledge and expertise in foreign legislation.‘
Up the Trade
Alianza contra la Piraterìa
- Assisted Telefónica Group with a dispute involving 5G deployment.
- Assisted Telefónica Group in relation to SUBTEL’s request of the Competition Court to set the conditions for new spectrum caps for mobile telecoms operators.
- Represented Telefónica Group in telecoms sector-related damages litigation.
ECIJA Otero is the result of the September 2019 merger of local firm Estudio Jurídico Otero with Spain-headquartered multinational practice ECIJA. The four-member practice's recent activity focused predominantly on media and entertainment production matters, tax on digital services and public bidding surrounding cloud computing services. The group's co-heads are former managing partner Gerardo Otero, a TMT expert (including new technologies); Spain-qualified finance specialist Alfredo Moreno; and Dolores Echeverría (partner as of December 2020), whose practice includes telecoms and IT matters. At associate level, Javier Sabido focuses on IP, IT, and media and entertainment.
Gerardo Otero; Dolores Echeverría; Alfredo Moreno
‘They have shown good knowledge in all areas of technology, media and communications, and we are very satisfied with their performance.‘
‘Their commitment to our company is evident; in every situation that has arisen, they have always acted quickly and efficiently.‘
The Boston Consulting Group
Boomerang TV (Lagardere Group, France)
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Al Tiro Films
The Valley Digital
- Advised Boomerang TV on the Chilean side’s structuring and contracting of an entire co-production project.
- Assisted Altiro Films with the development, pre-production, production and post-production of a film (to be directed by internationally acclaimed Spanish director Isabel Coixet).
- Assisted Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile with drafting healthcare-related service provision contracts.
Gutiérrez & Arrieta
The technology and electronic commerce group at boutique law firm Gutiérrez & Arrieta advises clients throughout the entire production cycle. The team specialises in software contracts, electronic signatures and security, digital identity, regulatory issues and licence agreements. Additional areas of expertise include technology projects, new technologies and applications, blockchain and AI matters. Name partners Raúl Arrieta Cortés and Rodrigo Gutierréz Morán are both regulatory law and technology specialists, as are Javier Pérez Vera and Diego Cordoba Yukic.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría fields an 11-member group that includes TMT and corporate lawyers, as well as banking, competition law and data privacy experts. The regional TMT practice heads are Eduardo Escalona, a specialist in the economic regulation of public services, who focuses on TMT matters (as well as energy), and Ignacio Larraín, the current head of the firm's Chile competition law team. Escalona and Larraín are also in charge of the firm’s recently established digital desk initiative. Álvaro Espinosa, a senior associate within the Chilean competition and economic regulation team, is also part of the TMT practice.
Ignacio Larraín; Eduardo Escalona
The Walt Disney Company
Iberoamericana Radio Chile
Bío Bío Comunicaciones
Compañía Chilena de Comunicaciones
Red Televisiva Megavisión
Iberoamericana Radio Chile
Ministry of Energy
- Assisted The Walt Disney Company in relation to a Disney+ premier in Chile, which involved consumer law and IP matters, as well as advertising, data protection and telecoms regulation issues.
- Advised Spotify AB on several matters, ranging from consumer law, IP and data protection regulation to telecoms regulatory issues and taxation.
- Advising Bío Bío Comunicaciones, Compañía Chilena de Comunicaciones, Copesa, Canal 13, Red Televisiva Megavisión and Iberoamericana Radio Chile on a programmatic advertising-related joint venture between Chilean mass media companies.
Known as a full-service law firm, Prieto Abogados' eight-strong telecoms and technology department ('capacity to solve all issues with great speed and efficiency') advises on TMT matters encompassing corporate, M&A, financing and tax issues, as well as regulatory, dispute resolution and public law aspects. Team head Mario Gorziglia has vast telecoms experience, including bids before the Chilean Telecommunications Department (SUBTEL), and lead compliance partner José Andrés Pascual advises on delivery online services and technology and fintech projects. Former partner Gerardo Cruzat left the firm in 2020.
Mario Gorziglia; José Andrés Pascual
‘This firm knows the business extensively and is very expeditious in providing answers to various issues.‘
‘Both the partners and the associates of the firm are 100% available, even more so in times of emergency.‘
‘The difference with the competitors is that they offer a truly full service, and have the capacity to solve all issues with great speed and efficiency.‘
Iconectiv (Telcordia Technologies Chile)
WeDo Consulting – Sistemas de Informação
- Advises Huawei (Chile) on TMT and general corporate matters.
- Advised Telcordia Technologies Chile (Chilean subsidiary of US company Iconective) on a bid before SUBTEL, which concerned the appointment of an administrator for the number portability system (2020-2025).
- Advises, on an ongoing basis, Mediapro Chile, a Chilean subsidiary of Spain’s Mediapro Internacional (a multinational that is dedicated to the production of cinematic and television content, and management of sports rights and audio-visual services).