Baker McKenzie Chile's mining department has an impressive reputation in the market for its advice to both large and medium-sized mining companies on their transactional, regulatory and operational requirements; the mining team is also well known for its assistance to new junior exploration companies. Clients with operations across the region (and beyond) additionally benefit from the firm's enviable Latin America -and global- coverage. With over 25 years' experience in natural resources and large-scale projects in Chile, managing partner Antonio Ortúzar Jr (all phases of mining projects, from greenfield to brownfield), heads the Santiago mining practice; a very active figure, mining and foreign investment specialist Mirco Hilgers also has longstanding experience in natural resource projects. At associate level, other key names are Santiago Vial, who advises on the maintenance of metallic and non-metallic mining property; Rosario Preuss who handles mining and corporate law; and real estate and mining expert Francisco Nualart.
Mining in Chile
Baker McKenzie Chile
Antonio Ortuzar Jr; Mirco Hilgers
Sierra Gorda SCM
Fortescue Metals Group
Guanaco Compañía Minera
Kinross Minera Chile
Kinross Gold Corporation
Park Mine Equipment
Haldeman Mining Company
- Provides ongoing advice to KGHM International, in relation to its two large-scale mining operations in Chile (Franke and Sierra Gorda).
- Provides ongoing advice to Sierra Gorda SCM, which was granted environmental approval for a $2bn expansion and upgrade of its flagship Sierra Gorda mine in northern Chile.
- Assisting Fortescue Metals Group with the potential operation of a large-scale mining site.
'The pre-eminent firm in Chile', full-service market mainstay Carey fields an 'excellent' seven-strong department that is widely respected for its constant participation in significant Chilean mining projects, whether in relation to development, financings or transactions. Representative work includes assisting domestic and international mining companies with metallic and non-metallic minerals, as well as exploration, exploitation and processing matters. Clients also benefit from the team's experience in mining-related litigation and environmental issues. With expertise in mining, natural resources, energy and environment law, counsel Francisco Corona is director of the firm's mining practice. Corona is supported at partner level by the co-heads of the firm’s natural resources and environment group: the 'extremely experienced' Rafael Vergara; and Alberto Cardemil, who focuses on natural-resource transactions, litigation, agribusiness, and corporate and commercial law. Key support at associate level comes from seniors Esteban Fresno and Maximiliano Urrutia.
Rafael Vergara; Alberto Cardemil; Francisco Corona
‘Carey is the pre-eminent firm in Chile; the lawyers not only bring great expertise and experience when assisting us, but do so in a practical and efficient way. They are also very enjoyable to deal with on a personal level.‘
‘Rafael Vergara is extremely experienced, not only in Chilean matters but also in understanding the needs of Canadian underwriters; his team is also excellent.‘
Barrick Gold Corporation
Minera Valle Central
Minera Andes del Sur
Sichuan Tianqui Lithium Industries
- Advised Nueva Unión, a subsidiary of Teck Resources and Newmont Goldcorp, on the implementation of a large-value copper project.
- Assisted Aftermath with the negotiation of agreements with Halo Labs and SSR Mining, in relation to the purchase of all the stock of Chilean holding company, Minera Cachinal (the owner of the Cachinal silver-gold project).
- Advised Codelco on negotiations with Compañía Portuaria Mejillones and Terminal Graneles del Norte (as contractors), and on the drafting of a contract for the provision of comprehensive port services for the transfer of copper concentrates.
With longstanding mining sector expertise, Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos' seven-member department fields a 'highly skilled and experienced team for all mining-related legal issues'; the practice assists a vast array of international and local clients with mining companies' M&A deals, worksite closures, and the exploration, development, financing and operation of mining projects. Recent highlights include advising Bergbau Wagen on a lease agreement executed with Sierra Atacama, which concerned 64 exploitation mining concessions for the Sierra Miranda Project in Mejillones. The team's principal practitioner is the 'excellent' Carlos Pérez-Cotapos, who consistently leads work teams on foreign mining investment projects, mining-related M&A and related financings. His fellow partner, Gonzalo Grez, has particular contracts expertise, including mining hi-tech agreements and other sub-sectors involving the mining chain, communities, land access and cross-border transactions. Senior associates Cristóbal Herrera and Manuela Noguera, along with associates Patricio Turner and María Belén Fuenzalida, all handle mining and natural resources law work.
Carlos Pérez-Cotapos; Gonzalo Grez
‘Highly skilled and experienced team for all mining-related legal issues.‘
‘Well connected, and with a sense of the needs of both local and international clients.‘
‘Great for availability and superior advice.‘
‘Good team with practical experience for mining transactions.‘
‘We feel supported every step of the way. Apart from the “to-be-expected” skills of a legal adviser, the practice’s availability and negotiation skills make Carlos Pérez-Cotapos and his team a valuable asset for our company.‘
‘Carlos Pérez-Cotapos has been an excellent legal adviser over the years.‘
‘Carlos Pérez-Cotapos and senior associate Cristóbal Herrera are both excellent.‘
Minera Ricardo Resources
Planta Recuperadora de Metales
- Advised Bergbau Wagen on a lease agreement executed with Sierra Atacama, in relation to 64 exploitation mining concessions for the Sierra Miranda Project in Mejillones (Antofagasta).
- Advised Cordillera on obtaining four legal mining easements over an area of approximately 100 hectares of land.
- Advised Sandvik on the acquisition of DSI Underground Cordillera, which included due diligence on the target’s Chilean assets.
With 'solid mining sector knowledge', the 'proactive' 11-strong department at Guerrero Olivos is consistently sought out by international and local mining companies, mining developers, private investment funds and financial companies. Key areas of work include high-value project acquisitions, financings, joint ventures and M&A. The firm also has robust mining-related regulatory, dispute resolution and environmental law practices. Practice head Pedro Lyon recently advised Anglo American Marketing, GAM Kimura and Citicorp on the international project financing and restructuring of mining project Minera Tres Valles. Benjamín Pérez, who was elevated to the partnership in January 2020, focuses on mining-related regulatory and environmental issues, mineral exploration, project development, mining agreements, due diligence, sale structures, and mining M&A; while Marco Zavala’s role in the department covers transactional matters and mining regulatory issues, along with project development and project finance.
Pedro Lyon; Marco Zavala; Benjamín Pérez
‘The team is proactive and good at communicating.‘
‘This group has solid mining sector knowledge, and its business sense is excellent; its honesty is also evident.‘
‘Ability to accompany us as a business.‘
‘We appreciate their honesty, client support, new ideas and sense of the mining business.‘
‘All the individuals, including Pedro Lyon and Benjamín Pérez were happy to go out of their way to deliver a great service, even when this required many late nights due to time zone differences and very tight deadlines.‘
- Ongoing advice to the mining arm of Antofagasta, including its strategic plan to manage the regulatory measures imposed by the Chilean Ministry of Public Health to tackle the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised Anglo American Marketing, GAM Kimura Master Fund and Citicorp International (as lenders) on an international financing for the Minera Tres Valles mining project.
- Advised Canada’s Rio2 on the acquisition of local mining company, Compañía Minera Paso San Francisco.
The nine-strong mining department at full-service law firm Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría is able to rely upon the enviable support of the firm's market-leading environmental, water and energy practices. In recent highlights, the team advised Fondo de Inversión Privado Lantánidos on the sale of the mining and private equity Rare Earth Project (Proyecto Biolantánidos) to Hochschild. With longstanding experience in natural resources and corporate law, Juan Paulo Bambach, who led on the foregoing deal, consistently negotiates and closes complex mining-related transactions. The practice can also call on highly regarded senior counsel Juan Irarrázabal, whose practice covers corporate and commercial law, energy, mining, environmental law and non-profit institutions; senior associate Cristina Olavarría, Bambach's "right hand" and key support during transactions and related contractual matters; and principal associate María Paz Pulgar, co-ordinator of the firm's natural resources department. May 2021 saw the firm shake up the market when it merged with local firm Carcelén, Desmadryl, Guzmán & Tapia, which combined mining law experience with water, environmental, public law, and disputes expertise; the tie-up adding 32 lawyers to the firm’s overall bench, including partners Jerónimo Carcelén, a mining law expert, water law specialist Matías Desmadryl, and fishing and aquaculture law expert Mario Tapia.
Juan Paulo Bambach; Juan Irarrázabal
Kinross Gold Corporation
Fondo De Inversión Privado Biolantánidos
Minera Salar Blanco
Resource Capital Funds
Anglo American Chile
Batteryone Royalty Corp
Sumitomo Metal Mining Chile
Minera Gold Fields Salares Norte
Latin Minerals Chile
- Advised Compañía Minera Mantos de Oro (a Kinross subsidiary) on reopening the La Coipa Project (Phase 7).
- Advised Fondo de Inversión Privado Lantánidos on the sale of the Rare Earth Project (named Proyecto Biolantánidos) to Hochschild.
- Advised Energía Valhalla on negotiations with the Green Climate Fund and MUFG Bank (and drafting of relevant agreements) concerning the financing of the Espejo de Tarapaca energy project.
The five-member mining department at ‘responsive, knowledgeable and practical‘ law firm Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana is well-known at the regional level for its advice on major transactions for large sector players, such as Antofagasta Minerals; it is also sought out by mid-sized and junior companies, along with privately-held companies and domestic mining entities. The practice has been active, recently, on projects involving transactions, financing, licensing, development, production, regulatory and compliance issues, along with engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract reviews. Founding partner Pablo Mir leads the firm’s mining, natural resources and energy practices; his broad workload includes obtaining permits, as well as special mining contracts for property options, explorations and joint ventures. Intermediate assocaite Alonso Calderón is noted. However, the practice group has endured a series of departures, recently, with former co-department head, Rony Zimerman moving to Lembeye Abogados, and the exit of senior associates Teresita González (to an in-house position), Joaquín Perez (to a local NGO), and most recently, Felipe Allende, who moved to Barros & Errázuriz in October 2021.
‘Smaller than international firms but sophisticated enough and responsive.‘
‘Responsive, knowledgeable and practical.‘
‘A team of lawyers with a strong knowledge in all legal and technical aspects of the mining area – they are remarkable.‘
‘Personalised treatment of clients, accompanied by intelligent decisions and attention, sometimes outside office hours – a plus for us and we appreciate it.‘
West Pacific Ventures
Compañía Contractual Minera Candelaria
Compañía Minera Cielo Azul
Minera Zaldivar (Antofagasta Minerals)
DMC Mining Services
- Ongoing advice to Freehill Mining, an Australian mining company with investments in Chile.
- Advised Grupo Rassmuss on negotiations with Rio Tinto involving a Chilean mining option agreement, which concerned mining concessions owned by Grupo Rassmuss’ subsidiary, UpGrade Mining.
- Advising Revelo Resources on a transaction, whereby it will sell eight copper-focused projects to West Pacific Ventures Corp (in exchange for shares in West Pac and certain cash considerations.
With approximately 20 years' experience in advising mining companies on the creation and acquisition of mining properties, CMS Carey & Allende's compact, three-member mining practice also undertakes electricity supply contracts, permits, concessions, dispute resolution, and the operation and maintenance of mining projects; clients are additionally assisted with obtaining mining easements, while banks look to the team for advice on mineral exploitation projects. Further areas of relevant expertise include environmental regulations, water rights and other public law issues. Consistently advising on major mining projects throughout the last 25 years, Jorge Allende Z heads the mining group, while associate Manuel Ponce focuses on mining and water rights. Former senior associate Aldo Poblete left to establish APF Abogados in July 2020.
Jorge Allende Z
Compañía Minera Sierra Norte
Sociedad Contractual Minera Vilacollo
María Elena Solar
Compañía Minera Paso San Francisco
- Advised Inversiones Alxar on the development of a business strategy to be executed by its subsidiaries, which included the negotiation and conclusion of various agreements, including leasing water rights and easements.
- Advised María Elena Solar on protecting, controlling and constituting mining concessions.
- Advised Compañía Minera Paso San Francisco on the sale of its shares.
The four-member mining department at Grasty Quintana Majlis & Cia. is led by highly regarded natural resources and energy partner Hugo Prieto, who is actively supported by associates José Francisco Osman, José Fernández and Sebastián Acevedo. The scope of the practice's advice covers mining title reviews, due diligence of mining concessions, option and royalty agreements, and financing and project development; other areas of expertise range from land use and easements to environmental, permitting and regulatory matters, as well as mining-related M&A, construction and dispute resolution. Clients also benefit from Prieto's leadership of Tecnomin, the firm's wholly owned subsidiary, which provides mining property services to national and foreign clients.
‘Professionalism, mining knowledge and confidence.‘
‘Knowledge of the law, experience, and ability to provide alternative solutions.‘
Minera Tres Valles
Sumitomo Metal Mining Chile
Vale Exploraciones Chile
Inversiones SMG Chile
Sociedad Minera La Frontera
Sociedad Minera El Águila
Gold Valley Iron Ore Pty
Bridgestone Mining Solutions Latin-America
- Provides ongoing counsel to Tecnomín, in relation to mining concessions all over Chile.
- Assisted Inversiones SMG Chile with the due diligence processes of two mining projects.
- Assists Sumitomo Metal Mining Chile with day-to-day corporate, mining and labour law matters.
Larrain y Asociados Abogados' eight-strong practice has a strong name in the market for its advice to significant mining companies and mining projects at the survey and exploration, development, construction and operational stages. The scope of its expertise also covers the acquisition and sale of mining companies, real estate and mining assets, along with project financing, option agreements, the commercialisation of ores, mining-related technology agreements, and proceedings to create mining properties and rights of way. A regular counsel to large mining companies, Jorge Granic leads the practice group alongside Cristóbal Morandé, whose practice includes energy and natural resources, project finance, commercial/corporate law and M&A. Further support is drawn from experienced of counsel Ricardo Peña, and associates Javiera Méndez, Joaquín Larrain and Francisco Cerda.
Jorge Granic; Cristóbal Morandé
‘Experience in mining issues with the support of lawyers who are specialised in other areas.‘
‘Their experience and clarity when defining strategies to face different cases are highly appreciated.‘
Flux Solar Energías Renovables
Ferrovial Airports International
- Advises South African mining company, Gold Fields, on the construction and development of Chile’s Salares Norte mining project.
- Advised Pucobre on the El Espino Mining Project, which is a greenfield deposit located approximately 30km north of Illapel (Coquimbo Region).
- Advised Pucobre on a joint venture with Codelco for the exploration and development of a copper mining project in Antofagasta.
The seven-member mining team at full-service practice Prieto Abogados leverages off the firm's expertise in the energy, infrastructure and real estate sectors, as well as its close relationships with major investment funds. It advises leading Chilean mining players on a broad range of matters, from their energy and natural resources requirements, to financing, taxation, project development and mining easements, along with mining-related disputes. The principal figures are M&A head Juan Tagle, who advises on mining and desalination construction projects, along with mining-related joint ventures and bidding processes; founding partner Alberto González E, who provides substantial, additional support; and Agustín Martorell, who was appointed associate practice director in January 2021 and is noted for mining option agreements and administrative-sanctioning procedures. However, associate Camila Kutz left for Cuatrecasas in June 2021.
Juan Tagle; Alberto Gonzalez E
Mantos Copper Holding
Compañía Minera Doña Inés de Collahuasi
Los Andes Copper
Corporación Nacional del Cobre de Chile
DP World Chile
Engie Energía Chile
Viña Santa Carolina
- Advised the lender banks on Mantoverde’s copper exploitation project.
- Advised Compañía Minera Doña Inés de Collahuasi on the bidding process and negotiations surrounding the construction and operation and maintenance agreements for a water desalination plant.
- Advised Canada’s Los Andes Cooper (controller of the Vizcachitas mining project in Putaendo) on the tax aspects surrounding a net smelter returns transaction, as well as a reorganisation procedure.
Urenda, Rencoret, Orrego y Dörr's six-member department advises both domestic and foreign clients on mining projects from the very earliest stages, including mining title reviews, purchase options, financing, and joint venture and exploration agreements; other areas of note are royalty, streaming and easement agreements, along with water-rights' titles, permits, reclamation actions and social permits. Heading the firm's mining practice, Sergio Orrego focuses on mining, energy and natural resources, projects, and corporate and M&A work; he recently advised Royal Gold on the purchase of a mining project's royalty rights. Fellow name partner Gonzalo Rencoret has broad mining practice expertise; and associate Verónica Roa's experience includes advising on numerous mining projects.
Aveng Construcciones Chile
- Advised Royal Gold on the purchase of royalty rights in a mining project.
- Advised Next Minerals on various legal issues, which related to a mining concessions lease and purchase option agreement.
- Advised Yamana Gold on the assignment of a royalty right that was executed abroad.
Barros & Errázuriz‘s mining practice advises on areas ranging from mining concessions, financing and mining project acquisitions to regulatory matters, leasing agreements and judicial defences. It is also expert in allied-areas that are integral to mining operations, such as desalination plants, ports, transmission lines, mining roads, water rights, community issues, and environmental matters. Experienced partners: Fernando Garrido (energy industry specialist); Vicente Cordero, whose international experience includes several years in New York; and senior associate Lucas Marinovic, who has an extensive corporate law practice, are the principal advisors. Moreover, since research concuded, the team has been strengthened with the significant hire of senior associate Felipe Allende, formerly at Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana, in October 2021.
Fernando Garrido; Vicente Cordero
Compañía Portuaria Mejillones
Exploration Drill Master Chile
- Advised Compañía Portuaria Mejillones and Terminal Graneles del Norte on the preparation and submission of a tender bid.
- Advised Asset AGF on the structuring of a private bidding process for the sale of its stake in Las Petacas, and the subsequent negotiation and closing of the transaction.
- Adviseing drilling project development, administration and execution company, Pro Drilling, on corporate, regulatory and labour matters.
The natural resources department at prestigious full-service law firm, Claro & Cia. regularly advises on the development of mining projects, including assisting developers with financing, partnership and regulatory needs. The practice recently assisted Anglo American Sur (the third largest copper producer in Chile) with structuring, negotiating and drafting an ambitious reciprocal easement agreement between mining competitors. Heading the firm's natural resources group, Nicolás Eyzaguirre specialises in natural resources and environmental law, energy, M&A and litigation; and key support is provided by associate Joaquín Rodríguez, whose practice is transactions focused.
Anglo American Sur
Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile
Sociedad Contractual Minera El Abra
Toesca (Administradora General de Fondos)
Stone Canyon Industries Holdings
- Advised Anglo American Sur on an ambitious reciprocal easement agreement between mining competitors.
- Assisted Anglo American Sur with a planning co-ordination and mining operation governance agreement entered into with Codelco (Andean division).
- Assisted Anglo American Sur with defending the legality of its mining-related authorisations.
Dentons Larrain Rencoret
Dentons Larrain Rencoret houses a six-strong team with vast experience in high-end mining projects at all stages, including exploration, development, construction, operation, and closure issues; it also has expertise in mining concession and easement constitution procedures, and handles related litigation. Clients additionally benefit from Dentons' broad geographic coverage in Latin America and the Caribbean. Mining law department head Gonzalo Nieto focuses on mining matters and litigation, with further partner-level support provided by Jose Ignacio Moran, Latin American and Caribbean regional leader of the firm's global environment and natural resources group.
‘The legal contribution they provide is complete, with a dedication that makes a difference; and their comprehensive knowledge of different issues means the service provided is very fast.‘
‘Great for the availability of the partners and lawyers, and their market knowledge and specialisms mean that the service delivered is a quality one.‘
‘Adapted to the pandemic.‘
Tewoo Group Co
Compañía Minera Salitrales
Agrícola Forestal Ganadera Pullaly
National Astronomical Observatory of China
- Advises Tewoo Group Co on its mining, environmental and water issues.
- Advises Regulus Resources on mining-related corporate and tax matters.
- Advised Aldebaran Resources (mining company) on several mining-related corporate and labour issues.
In April 2020, Lembeye Abogados ('very responsive and knowledgeable about mining and resources') hired Rony Zimerman ('goes above and beyond') from Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana (where he was a partner for 15 years) to lead its six-strong natural resources and mining practice. Dual-qualified (Canada/Chile), Zimerman advises multinationals on their investments in natural resources, along with assisting Canadian mining companies with their operations in Chile. Most recently, his extensive experience includes advising Canada-listed Angold Resources on its acquisition of the Dorado concessions from Chilean entity, Compañía Minera Cerro el Diablo.
‘Very responsive and knowledgeable about mining and resources.‘
‘Provided very good legal advice and work; they also helped us with practical matters in Chile, such as finding local geologists, connecting us to other industry players, and helping co-ordinate permits required for travel during Covid. Essentially they helped provide eyes and ears on the ground.‘
‘Their knowledge of the North American regulatory/legal environment helps them understand exactly what we need at the local level.‘
‘Up to speed with all the latest developments and always available whenever needed.‘
‘Rony Zimerman is legally qualified locally (as well as in Canada), and has worked in Canada and understands the global mining sector and multi-jurisdictional issues.‘
‘Rony Zimerman is very responsive and easy to communicate with, and assists us with a multitude of issues we run into (not being locally based). He goes above and beyond to make sure we have a local presence, and to help us solve problems (no matter how large or small).‘
Apollo Gold Corp
- Advised Angold Resources on its acquisition of the Dorado concessions from Chilean entity Compañía Minera Cerro el Diablo, a subsidiary of Cerro Mining (formerly Capella Resources).
- Assisted Apollo Gold Corp with a number of matters, including the legal review of the Apollo and San Carron concessions located in the El Indio gold belt in Northern Chile.
- Advises Equus Mining/Southern Gold on its mining projects in Chile.
Morales & Besa's mining sector coverage ranges from mining law to corporate matters, finance, M&A and project development, along with construction, regulatory and environmental law matters. Leading the firm's mining client relationships, Eugenio Besa assists with establishing foreign mining companies in Chile, and advises on shareholder agreements, option contracts, royalties, and tax and corporate matters. At non-partner level, director Paloma Infante is a dedicated mining law specialist; while Katannya Jablonsk (also mining-sector focused) and James Channing (a construction and infrastructure project expert) are the key seniors; associate Giancarlo Camillieri is also noted. Former practice director Lorena Barrientos moved in house at Algramo in February 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Responsive and very knowledgeable.‘
‘Eugenio Besa is incredibly knowledgeable and understands the commercial drivers of deals.‘
‘Senior associate James Channing is highly responsive and proactive.‘
Arena Minerals / Arena Minerals Chile
Fiore Exploration / Fiore Andes
Anglo Pacific Group
Mitsubishi Materials Corporation
- Advising Arena Minerals Chile, a subsidiary of Arena Minerals, on its participation as 80% owner of two mining companies, which were incorporated with SQM (as 20% owner).
- Advised Fiore Atacama (a subsidiary of Fiore Exploration) on corporate matters, as well as the termination and release of an option to purchase mining concessions (owned by SQM).
- Advised Mitsubishi Materials Corporation, as local counsel, on the acquisition of a 30% interest in the Mantoverde copper mine (Atacama Region).
Núñez Muñoz Abogados
Boutique firm Núñez Muñoz Abogados has longstanding, recognised mining sector experience, its expertise ranging from mining agreements and transactions, to project development, mining property, financing and judicial proceeding-related legal opinions; the team also has notable experience in mining sector-related M&A. Patricia Nuñez has a stand out name in the market for mining law work, her practice also encompassing foreign investment, finance, public works concessions and infrastructure; she is also a member of the Chilean-Colombian Commercial Chamber and -since May 2021- a director of Codelco. Fellow name partner Rodrigo Muñoz is an expert in environmental law and community matters. However, former senior counsel Andres Verdugo and associate Gonzalo Villazón moved to LAWGIC Abogados and FerradaNehme, respectively, in 2020.
Ossa Alessandri Abogados
The five-member mining law practice at Ossa Alessandri Abogados advises domestic and international clients on major projects, the protection and maintenance of mining properties, negotiation of option agreements, and defence of energy projects from previously solicited mining rights; the team also assists with project finance, mining title review and complex mining-related litigation. Francisco Ossa heads the firm's mining and projects practices; Ossa's substantial expertise includes civil and commercial litigation and contract negotiations, as well as the execution and development of large-scale mining, energy, construction and infrastructure projects.
Los Andes Copper
Mainstream Renewable Power
Los Andes Copper
- Advised Bastion Minerals (Australian mining company) on its Australian Stock Exchange IPO.
- Advised Herencia Resources on an easement trial in northern Chile.
- Advised Compañía Minera Vizcachitas on a mining rights protection case.
Schenke Brancoli Abogados
Founded in 2019, boutique firm Schenke Brancoli Abogados' five-member mining law practice focuses on the constitution of mining concessions and their protection, along with easements, mining law contracts, and the due diligence of mining companies and projects. Hipólito Zañartu, a former consultant and mining-and-water group head at Jara Del Favero & Ried Fabres (JDFRF), leads the firm's natural resources, mining and water practices. Notable support is provided by founding partner Ricardo Brancoli (also previously at JDFRF), who assists with environmental, mining, water and natural resources litigation.
Pan Pacific Copper Exploration Chile
SCM Minera Lumina Copper Chile
Minera Los Pelambres
Del Monte Fresh Produce (Chile)
Compañía Mantos De La Luna
Compañía De Inversiones Adriático
Compañía Minera De Tocopilla
Ferrocarril De Antofagasta A Bolivia
Empresas De Servicios Sanitarios Del Sur
Agrícola La Puntilla
- Assisting Minera Centinela on an ongoing basis, including advising on the constitution of easements.
- Advised Minera Antucoya on the constitution and modification of mining easements.
- Advised Pan Pacific Copper Exploration Chile on option contracts for mining concessions, as well as defending the constitution of mining rights.
Valdivieso, Gutierrez & Manríquez Abogados
'Excellent' 2014-founded boutique firm Valdivieso, Gutierrez & Manríquez Abogados specialises in natural resources and conflict resolution. The four-strong department's mining work covers project development, as well as related issues such as water rights, environmental permits, and administrative defence before the Environment Superintendence; the team also acts in civil and environmental litigation, along with arbitration. Mining industry specialist Francisco Valdivieso T; and fellow name partner, Juan Francisco Gutiérrez, a natural resources and litigation expert are the principal advisors. Fellow name partner Mario Manríquez provides strong advisory and litigious support on environmental matters, particularly in relation to project development. However, associate Andrés Valenzuela moved in house at Scotiabank in May 2021.
Francisco Valdivieso T; Juan Francisco Gutierrez
‘An excellent team of lawyers that covered all my legal needs.‘
‘Great for personalised treatment – they do what is promised within the deadline and their fees are very reasonable.‘
‘We appreciate its agility, experience, technical capabilities, communication skills and empathy towards the client.‘
Nueva Union (Joint venture between Teck and Gold Corp)
Sociedad Minera Candelaria
Minera West Wall
Minera Chañar Blanco
Confederación para la Producción y Comercio
José Fernando Álvarez
Compañía Minera Zaldivar
Minera Los Pelambres
- Advised Mario Hernández and José Fernando Álvarez on the sale of an operational mining project.
- Advised Miguel Pérez and Francisco Aguirre on the sale of mining concession royalties.
- Advised Glencore on the sale of different greenfield projects.