Dispute resolution in Cayman Islands
Attracting praise for its expertise in complex multi-jurisdictional matters, the ‘skilled and responsive’ team at Maples Group has a ‘deserved reputation for quality outcomes’ in Cayman litigation. Singled out as ‘probably the most experienced offshore litigator’ in Cayman, Aristos Galatopoulos sits as global head of the dispute resolution and insolvency practice, which handles a broad range of international commercial disputes. Key areas of strength include insolvency and restructuring issues, fund disputes, finance-related claims, shareholder litigation, fraud and asset tracing issues, and maritime disputes. In a recent stand-out matter, consultant Mac Imrie represented Nord Anglia Education in the Cayman's largest fair value proceedings to date valued at $1.2bn concerning shares owned by dissenting shareholders. Elsewhere, James Eldridge specialises in insolvency-related issues, particularly distressed funds, and Caroline Moran is noted for her expertise in restructuring mandates. Luke Stockdale, of counsel Nick Herrod and associate Adam Huckle are further names to note in the team. Colin McKie QC retired in late 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent team. Top restructuring and litigation group locally. Practical. Technically very strong.’
‘Maples were chosen by us due to their prior experience in the Cayman Islands with complex multi-jurisdictional personal insolvency matters, which are a rarity on the island, as well as their deserved reputation for quality outcomes.’
‘Very strong corporate practice and real depth in litigation services.’
‘Mac Imrie – very experienced litigator, good judgment, good advocate. Caroline Moran – thorough, easy to work with. Malachi Sweetman – very hard working, experienced. Lukas Schroeter – brimming with ideas.’
‘Probably the largest offshore firm. Their litigation team has a depth and experience that makes them the go to for very large cases.’
‘James Eldridge – excellent knowledge of structures / funds, highly experienced and widely respected.’
‘Aristos Galatopoulos – probably the most experienced offshore litigator, has led the group for a long time and in our experience given excellent advice / support.’
‘The team is superb with a deep bench including Luke Stockdale and Paul Smith. Thoroughly knowledgeable in the law, great strategic and tactical thinkers, and practical in their approach. Maples clearly stands out.’
‘Maples are best in class in Cayman. Excellent partners and associates, accessible, responsive and most importantly transparent and accurate billing.’
Nord Anglia Education (NAE)
eHi Car Services Limited
Xiaodu Life Technology Limited
Pacer Construction Holdings Corp
Diamond Offshore International Limited (DOIL)
Premium Point funds
China Shanshui Cement Group Limited
Ascot Fund Limited (In Official Liquidation)
Waypoint Leasing Holdings Ltd
Ting Chuan (Cayman Islands) Holding Corp and China CVS (Cayman Islands) Holding Corp
- Represented Nord Anglia Education in the largest s.238 proceedings to date with a value of $1.2bn.
- Acting for China Shanshui and its shareholders in various disputes including a winding-up petition.
- Acting for Pacer Construction Holdings Corp, a wholly-owned subsidiary of MasTec Inc, the successful petitioner for the bankruptcy of Richard Pelletier, with Grant Thornton as the trustee.
Led by Hector Robinson QC, who is ‘highly regarded as a strategic, brilliant and calculated thinker and decision-maker’, the team at Mourant ‘draws on international resources’ to handle large, long-running Cayman disputes. Regularly instructed in some of the region’s most high-profile cases, Peter Hayden acts for Kalo Advisors, the liquidators of Primeo Fund, in multiple litigation matters against Herald; in January 2020, the team won a hearing in the Privy Council, having previously won in the Cayman Islands Court of Appeal. Alongside the group's restructuring and insolvency expertise, the department also has an enviable track record in banking, finance and securities litigation, fund and trust claims, and fraud and asset tracing mandates. Other names to note include the experienced Simon Dickson, restructuring expert Christopher Harlowe, Nicholas Fox and counsel Christopher Levers.
Other key lawyers:
‘Superb client care, top legal capabilities. Exceptionally thorough and top of their game in the private equity and finance litigation field. And fantastic to work with.’
‘Simon Dickson: sees every point often before it has evolved. A very sensitive and nuanced lawyer, as well as an excellent leader. Bags of experience, locally and internationally, and a really lovely team-player too.’
‘Chris Harlowe: very clear thinking and an excellent sense of strategy.’
‘Jessica Vickers: brilliant and immensely hardworking junior team member; a rising star. Hugely thorough and a delight to work with.’
‘Harry Rasmussen: up and coming star. Hard-working and often terrier-like. Great attention to detail.’
‘The practice has a wide array of practitioners that enables them to draw on diverse experience to best meet their clients.’
‘My main contact is the firm’s Partner, Hector Robinson QC. He is renowned and highly regarded as a strategic, brilliant and calculated thinker and decision-maker. He knows when to up the ante and when to temper expectations. He is always focused on serving in the client’s interest and achieving the best result for the client.’
Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi & Brothers Company (AHAB)
Libya Investment Authority / Upper Brook companies
T Rowe Price, Burford Capital, Stockbridge Investors and DE Shaw
Millinium Asset Services
Nickel Resources International Holdings Company Limited
General Electric Company
- Acting for Kalo Advisors, the Liquidators of Primeo Fund (as stakeholder in Herald Fund SPC) in multiple ongoing litigation matters with Herald, in which Primeo is the largest stakeholder.
- Representing multiple parties which invested a total of approximately $400m in Nord Anglia Education and sought a fair value appraisal for their shares pursuant to s.238 of the Companies Law.
- Acting for AHAB in a fraud claim against Maan Al Sanea and the Saad Group of companies to recover over $4bn.
Walkers has ‘an outstanding team of commercially minded lawyers who have in-depth experience across all aspects of dispute resolution’. The department handles contentious insolvencies, asset recovery issues and hedge fund disputes, fraud disputes, commercial litigation and trusts claims. Spearheaded by Neil Lupton, who possesses a robust restructuring and insolvency practice, the department acted for Latam Airlines Group and Pueco Finance Limited, which successfully applied for the appointment of Provisional Liquidators in conjunction with a US Chapter 11 filing. Shelley White and Colette Wilkins are singled out as ‘highly intellectual, highly practical and highly commercial’ practitioners. Further names to note are contentious insolvency specialist Matthew Goucke, investment funds disputes expert Rupert Bell, and Nick Dunne, who primarily deals with fraud and asset recovery work. Senior counsels Fiona MacAdam and Peter Kendall are other noteworthy advisers.
Other key lawyers:
‘An outstanding team of commercially minded lawyers who have in-depth experience across all aspects of dispute resolution. The Walkers team is always very solution focused and have some of the best legal minds and strategic thinkers in the Offshore market.’
‘Peter Kendall is a critical thinker who has excellent attention to detail on every aspect of a case.’
‘Quite simply this is the number 1 team in the Cayman Islands. Individually their partners are some of the best in the business but they collaborate and work as a team which means you get access to all of the knowledge and experience. In terms of dispute resolution, insolvency and restructuring they have done it all and are the go to team.’
‘Barnaby Gowrie. One of the brightest minds in Cayman Islands’ law. Barnaby is generally the smartest person in the room but is very approachable and a first choice for liquidators in Cayman.’
‘Rupert Bell. Legally and commercially astute and one of the most strategic minds around.’
‘Chris Keefe. Chris is one of the leading associates in the Cayman Islands. He is an excellent advocate but in recent years he has focused on his advice and strategic thinking, and it is paying dividends. Chris is someone you want to have on your team.’
‘Niall Hanna. Another of the leading associates in the Cayman Islands. Niall has a fantastic ability to cut through the noise and distraction in complex and contentious matters and provides accurate and sensible advice under pressure. He is strategic and commercial and will be a leading name in Cayman in the years to come.’
‘Top RS and litigation firm locally. Uniformly excellent lawyers. User friendly. Practical. Technically excellent.’
‘Great deal of knowledge, advice is practical as well as technical, great availability.’
‘The Walkers approach is very much of the “can do” variety, and they take on challenges from clients with enthusiasm. This practice is brimming with work, but as a client, I never feel that I am anything other than a priority.’
‘The stand out partners are Shelley White and Colette Wilkins, with whom I have toiled in the trenches for ten years on one enormous multi-faceted manner. They are both highly intellectual, highly practical and highly commercial, which is a winning, but rare, combination. The commitment to client objectives is unwavering and the level of partner involvement is excellent (and necessary on complex and high value disputes).’
Maso Capital Investments Limited
EY Cayman Ltd.
CW Group Holdings Limited
Phoenix Group Holdings
BTU Power Company
Asia Private Credit Fund
Deloitte & Touche
- Acted for Latam Financing Limited and Pueco Finance Limited, which successfully applied for the appointment of Provisional Liquidators in conjunction with a US Chapter 11 filing.
- Acted for Mass Global Energy in respect of its application for the appointment of provisional liquidators pursuant to section 104(3) of the Companies Law (as amended).
- Instructed by Grant Thornton and successfully represented nine of the 16 defendants in litigation, including the principal defendant, SICL.
At Appleby, the Cayman team, led by Peter McMaster QC, is particularly active in merger disputes, funds matters, appraisal claims, dissenting shareholder issues and arbitral award enforcement work. Carlos de Serpa Pimentel, who is a trust litigator and international private client expert, specialises in trust disputes, appearing in many of Cayman’s major multijurisdictional trust cases. David Lee has particular experience in cross-border disputes involving complex financial products, including disputes arising out of fund insolvencies. Further names to note are Sebastian Said and Tony Heaver-Wren.
‘Sebastian Said is both very responsive / user-friendly, and an extremely thoughtful and considered lawyer. He thinks carefully about how arguments should be presented. He is an effective advocate who can hold his own against the London silks who appear in Cayman.’
‘Appleby is one of the top white-collar specialists in the Caymans.’
‘David Lee is smart and strategic and knows the Cayman courts as well as anyone.’
‘The Appleby team is hard-working and diligent and takes a very helpful commercial view in handling disputes in the Cayman Islands. Tony Heaver-Wren is a very experienced and able member of the team. He is diligent and has a commercial orientation in managing disputes.’
BlackRock Private Opportunities Fund
The Lincoln National Life Insurance Company
ENKA Insaat ve Sanayi A.S. and Capital City Investment BV
Export Import Bank of China
Scully Royalty Ltd
Nordic Trustee AS
Pure Air Limited
Outcorp Capital Ltd
Ennismore Fund Management Limited
Cayman National Trust Co
- Acting for ENKA in enforcing foreign arbitral awards exceeding $50m against a Cayman Islands company, Mass Global Energy (Duhok) Ltd (MGE).
- Acted for Nordic Trustee AS in a case involving the recovery of over $200m of debt from bonds issued in connection with an oil and gas business.
- Acting for the Trustee of the Poulton Family Trust in respect of hostile proceedings brought in the Grand Court by the adult children of the settlor and beneficiaries who were excluded from the Trust by the Settlor and Protector of the Trust in 2016.
Under the leadership of Guy Manning, Campbells' team is praised for its involvement in some of Cayman’s largest insolvency and restructuring cases. Most prominently, the group acted as lead counsel to the liquidators of ABRAAJ Investment Management Ltd. In addition to high-end insolvency and restructuring work, the group deals with the full gamut of commercial litigation for international and domestic clients. While the firm has considerable experience acting in investment fund litigation and shareholder disputes, 'outstanding litigator' Andrew Pullinger is noted for his arbitration and fraud expertise, while the highly regarded Mark Goodman handles high-profile multijurisdictional asset tracing and trust cases. Liam Faulkner and senior associate Hamid Khanbhai, who is particularly active in appraisal rights litigation, are other names to note.
‘Campbells’ dispute resolution team in Cayman has grown to be one of the leading players in the Cayman market. They have a good breath of character and experience among the partners and that is really helpful when dealing with large cases and multiple clients. They have a non-nonsense approach and are focused on getting the job done efficiently and effectively.’
‘Mark Goodman is an exceptional lawyer and has become one of the go to lawyers in insolvency, restructuring and dispute resolution.’
‘Liam Falkner is a very smart and strategic lawyer. As with all of the Campbells’ team, he is great to work with and forms part of the team when involved on larger matters.’
‘Extremely responsive, very commercial outlook and tireless in the face of any difficulty.’
‘Andrew Pullinger – very creative thinker, great eye for detail, very user friendly. A pleasure to work with.’
‘Campbells litigation team provides far greater intellectual input into the analysis of litigation issues than any other team on the island. That shows itself in the results they achieve.’
‘Andrew Pullinger (a partner in Campbells) is an outstanding litigator. Clear, decisive and engaged in the detail of issues in a way that few other partners on Cayman would be. A huge intellect and destined to be the stand-out litigator on Cayman.’
‘Shaun Tracey (a senior associate with Campbells) has vast experience of fund litigation which he utilises to find advantages solutions for clients in difficult situations.’
‘Hamid Khanbhai is a brilliant lawyer for any serious litigation. Clever, quick, creative, dedicated, versatile and imaginative. I would always want him on my side.’
‘Campbells have the best all round Cayman litigation practice, capable of dealing with the largest, most complicated cases. They are all very easy to deal with, work hard, and are very knowledgeable of the law, but also of the Cayman courts.’
‘Campbells has a unique strength in depth in its litigation team that is unmatched in Cayman. As a result, it is capable of taking on the largest disputes and resource them appropriately and to handle multiple disputes at the same time.’
‘Andrew Pullinger is a star litigator. Calm, assured and with a brilliant legal mind he is also a keen strategist. He is approachable and user-friendly. Shaun Tracey is a thinking litigator who leaves no stone unturned in his analysis and approach.’
Joint Official Liquidators of ABRAAJ Investment Management Limited (Deloitte)
LOPAG Trust Reg. and Admintrust Verwaltungsanstalt as trustees of the Lake Cauma Trust (a Liechtenstein family trust)
Maso Capital Investment Limited
Joint Official Liquidators of China Medical Technologies, Inc (Borrelli Walsh)
Official Liquidator of Lancelot Investors Fund Ltd (Duff & Phelps)
Official Liquidator of Soundview Elite Ltd (RH Restructuring)
Valley Health System
- Advised Deloitte (the JOLs) of ABRAAJ Investment Management Limited (AIML) on all aspects of the liquidation.
- Represented HSBC entities in claims brought against them in the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands by Primeo Fund (In Official Liquidation), which placed all of its assets with Bernie Madoff.
- Acted for the JOLs of CMED, a Cayman company in official liquidation; CMED had raised approximately $630m from banks and investment funds through a note issue, but the proceeds of that issue appear to have been misappropriated by former management.
Leveraging the firm's ‘effortless international coordination’, Carey Olsen’s team has a particular restructuring and insolvency focus; the department is also instructed in shareholder disputes, and other general commercial litigation. Leading the dispute resolution team in Cayman, Jan Golaszewski also acts in multi-jurisdictional arbitration proceedings and regulatory matters. Sam Dawson, who has a particular focus on the financial services sector, attracts praise for being ‘very affable, contactable and practicable in his solutions-based approach’. Peter Sherwood and contentious trusts specialist Bernadette Carey are also highly regarded.
‘Sam Dawson is an excellent strategist and litigator.’
‘Effortless international capabilities/coordination and timeous in their response given their presence in multiple jurisdictions.’
‘Sam Dawson is one of the best. Sam is very affable, contactable and practicable in his solutions-approach, making him easy to work with whilst having a sense of true partnership in navigating solutions.’
‘Carey Olsen has a great team with some of the strongest advocates in the Cayman Islands in their respective fields. They have excellent strength in commercial litigation, trusts disputes and insolvency. An excellent top drawer firm.’
‘Bernadette Carey is one of my favourite private client lawyers anywhere. She is charming and immensely knowledgeable. She gives lay clients and instructing foreign lawyers confidence that she is able to deal with even the most complicated and cutting edge trust disputes. An unassuming but powerful star of the Cayman legal profession.’
‘Sam Dawson is street smart and canny with great presence in the court room. He has been around forever and knows the Cayman courts better than anyone. His tremendous skill as a lawyer is perhaps owing to his considerable charm and personal nature been underestimated but he is a formidable lawyer both within and without the court room. He is a formidable opponent and an excellent ally.’
‘Very commercial approach, with restructuring / insolvency focus, the team has grown substantially in the past few years and I would rate as one of the best offshore.’
‘Peter Sherwood – very experienced and practical operator.’
‘Carey Olsen has a very strong Cayman commercial resolution practice. Very commercially focused but also with great technical know how. They are very good at delivering on the client’s commercial goals.’
‘Jan Golaszewski – very commercial and experience operator. Great at dealing with clients.’
‘Peter Sherwood – very strong technical know how and expertise.’
Liongate Multi-Strategy Fund
Royal Bank of Scotland
Rawlinson & Hunter
Genesis Trust & Corporate Services Ltd
Ritchie Capital Management LLC
Daiwa Capital Markets Europe Limited
Investors in Capital World Markets
Founders of Weride Inc.
- Acted for Abraaj Holdings in its successful application to appoint provisional liquidators.
- Acting for an ad hoc group of bondholders in Luckin Coffee Inc. in relation to a claim against the company for misrepresentation on a bond offering in January 2020 regarding the widely reported falsification of its sale numbers and an accompanying freezing injunction.
- Acting for Global Cord Blood Corporation in a valuation dispute with one of its minority shareholders.
Following the relocation of former practice head Paul Smith to the firm's Bermuda office, Alex Potts QC joined Conyers from Kennedys' Bermuda group to head up the local litigation and restructuring practice and is considered ‘a tremendous addition’ to the firm. The team handles a variety of commercial and regulatory disputes, including cross-border insolvency and restructuring proceedings, fund disputes, trust claims and insurance matters. The team counts among its key lawyers insolvency specialist Ben Hobden, who regularly appears before the Grand Court and the Court of Appeal, as well as Jonathon Milne, who joined in 2019 from Mourant. Promoted to partner in 2020, ‘outstanding lawyer’ Erik Bodden receives a steady flow of section 238 dissenting shareholder appraisal cases. Robert Lindley, who leads the private client and trust group in Cayman, handles contentious trust matters.
‘Conyers’ Cayman Dispute Resolution team offers an all round first rate service. They cover all of the bases with no weaknesses.’
‘Alex Potts QC is a tremendous addition to the Conyers Cayman team.’
‘Erik Bodden is an outstanding lawyer. He combines technical excellence with commercial understanding and fantastic judgement. He is also delightful to work with, very engaging and great with clients.’
‘Ben Hobden is a first rate litigator, with very good sense who fights hard for his clients. A great person to have on your side and very easy to work with.’
‘Jordan McErlean is a rising start who will go far.’
Torchlight GP Limited
PAG Quantitative Strategies Trading Limited, PAG Asia Alpha LP, PAG-P Asia Fund LP
Failed subscribers and investors in TCA Global Credit Fund.
Arnage Holdings Ltd. et al
LL Finance LLC
Luckin Coffee Inc
Great Simplicity Investment Corporation
- Representing Luckin Coffee Inc, a Cayman Islands holding company, and the parent company of China’s second largest coffee chain, which has been publicly listed on NASDAQ, in the aftermath of allegations that some of its former management had incorrectly accounted for the group’s revenue.
- Previously acted for Torchlight Fund LP in the successful defence of a just and equitable winding-up petition brought against it and currentlt acting for Torchlight GP Limited in claims for damages against certain individuals alleged to be involved in bringing the petition.
- Acting as lead Cayman counsel to the assignee of various causes of action of Tangerine Investment Management against its former directors.
‘Bringing to bear deep local knowledge’, the Cayman dispute resolution team at Harneys specialises in distressed hedge fund litigation and share valuation cases, with notable experience in litigation with an Asian element. Headed up by Nick Hoffman, who is singled out as ‘one of the best advocates on the island’, the department also deals with fraud, asset tracing, restructuring and insolvency matters. Jayson Wood was promoted in 2019 to head of restructuring, while the highly regarded Gráinne King was promoted to counsel. Additional names to note include Jessica Williams, Paul Smith, the ‘strategically astute’ Paul Madden and Katie Pearson, all of whom have extensive experience across insolvency and commercial disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent law firm. Commercial, approachable and user/team-friendly. Legally and tactically astute and responsive.’
‘Excellent team. Very strong in China. Practical and user friendly.’
‘Strategic thinkers operating seamlessly across numerous geographies on a 24/7 basis.’
‘Jessica Williams – clear-sighted and knowledgeable, determined to achieve the very best for her clients.’
‘Paul Madden: Paul is very strategically astute and is quick to grasp the key issues in any matter. He has a eye for spotting trouble and developing strategies to avoid it. Paul is still relatively new to Cayman but is quickly becoming one of the leading lawyers in the insolvency, restructuring and dispute resolution field on Island.’
‘Nick Hoffman: Nick is one of the best advocates on the island. Incredibly calm under pressure, as an advocate he always retains his composure. He is also an excellent lawyer and advises on complex and contentious matters.’
‘The crème de la crème of the offshore legal community whether working with or even against Harneys one is always struck by their utter professionalism, tremendous skillset but most importantly a firm with the highest standards of integrity and a pleasure to know, work and deal with.’
‘The Harney’s team is excellent, bringing to bear deep local knowledge and experience, combined with the professionalism and enthusiasm of a City firm.’
‘Paul Smith has been a terrific addition to the team. He is meticulous, considered and completely unflappable.’
‘Jessica Williams is an excellent litigator.’
Joint Official Liquidators of the Saad Investments Finance Company (SIFCO 5)
General Electric Company
SkyBridge Multi Adviser Hedge Fund Portfolios LLC
Adamas Health Care Fund
ArcelorMittal USA LLC
His Royal Highness Prince Faisal Bin Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud
Shengqu Games Limited (formerly Shanda Games Limited)
Maroon Asia Capital Limited
Official Liquidators of Vantage Drilling Company
China Agrotech Holdings Limited
Youyuan International Holdings Limited
Liquidators of TCA Global Credit Fund Ltd
Fortunate Drift Limited
RSM Hong Kong
China Life Trustees Limited
A Brazilian trustee in bankruptcy of the insolvent estates of SAM Indústrias SA, Boulder Participaҫões Ltd.
- Acted for the Joint Official Liquidators of the Saad Investments Finance Company (SIFCO 5) in a high-profile $9.2bn claim involving allegations of fraud arising from one of the largest corporate collapses of the financial crisis.
- Acted for General Electric in defending claims made by Richie Capital Management (and related entities) (RCM) arising out of investments made and lost through the Thomas Petters fraud through Lancelot Investors Fund, Ltd (In Official Liquidation).
- Acting for ArcelorMittal USA in its continuing legal battle against another well-known Indian conglomerate, the Essar Group. AMUSA is seeking to enforce a $1.5bn ICC arbitration award, following Essar’s failure to perform an iron ore pellet supply contract in Minnesota.
Jointly led by trusts disputes head Rachael Reynolds and restructuring and insolvency group leader Marc Kish, the team at Ogier handles a variety of disputes and claims in Cayman. Kish specialises in international insolvency, restructuring and financial services disputes, including large-scale fraud and asset tracing claims, while Reynolds is renowned for handling high-value international trust and estate disputes. The group is also seeing an increase in fair-value disputes as well as insolvent trusts work. Jennifer Fox is also a key name to note in the team, which has seen notable expansion as well as a spate of promotions: trusts expert Deborah Barker-Roye was promoted to counsel, Gemma Lardner was promoted to managing associate, and William Jones was promoted to partner. In the firm's London office, Cayman specialists Jeremy Snead and counsel Anna Snead joined from Appleby in mid-2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘Marc Kish and Will Jones – both first rate litigators.’
‘Rachael Reynolds is a powerhouse in the Cayman litigation world. I want her on my side! She leads a very competent team.’
‘Excellent reputation in the Cayman Islands. First choice for litigation in the region.’
‘Rachael Reynolds – fantastic reputation, hugely knowledgeable, very approachable, good tactician.’
‘From our perspective, it is the ‘go to’ team for trust disputes in Cayman – having sufficient bench-strength to manage high value, complex matters, but first-rate personable client service.’
‘Rachael Reynolds possesses in abundance the qualities required by a truly stand-out litigator: intellect, charm and grit.’
‘Jennifer Fox is also making a name for herself as someone to be relied upon for the sophisticated handling of complex disputes.’
‘Ogier’s dispute resolution team is headed up by sophisticated, able and committed senior lawyers, the team has strength in depth at all levels and they are involved in most of the important cases taking place in the Cayman jurisdiction.’
‘I would like to call out Marc Kish. He is at the top of his game. He brings a sense of calm assurance to the team, he is completely committed to finding the best result for the client, is an excellent team leader and he has excellent judgment. He is also a delight to work with.’
The conflict director, litigation committee and Investors Committee of Neoma Private Equity Fund IV (Abraaaj)
Tianrui (International) Holding Company Limited (China Shanshui)
The Kuwait Ports Authority (Port Fund)
Raiffeisen Bank International
Essar Global Fund Limited and Essar Capital Limited
G3 Exploration Limited
Bitmain Technologies Holding Company
Family Mart Co. Ltd (FMCH)
St Johns Trust Company
Dissenting creditor group of Ehi Car Services
OL Group (Assured Fund)
Gol Linhas Aereas S.A.
- Acting in one of the most significant and substantive aspects of the Abraaj Group investor litigation, following the collapse of the largest ever private equity structure in the Middle East.
- Acting for Tianrui as the largest shareholder in China Shanshui Cement Group, one of the largest cement companies in the PRC, in relation to its petition to wind up CSCG on the just and equitable ground.
- Acting for Essar Global Fund Limited and Essar Capital Limited in defending proceedings brought by Arcelormittal seeking Norwich Pharmacal relief and freezing orders relating to the enforcement of a $1.5bn arbitral award obtained in the US against a subsidiary of EGFL.
Laura Hatfield heads up Bedell Cristin’s litigation and corporate insolvency and restructuring practice in Cayman, which also includes Kai McGriele. Noted for its bankruptcy and restructuring expertise, it also handles investor rights, corporate governance and professional negligence matters. Recent areas of growth include regulatory enforcement matters dealing primarily with data protection and anti-money laundering regulations, trust-related mandates, and liquidations resulting from the COVID-19 crisis. Another key practitioner operating within the team is managing associate Richard Parry.
Citco Global Custody N.V
Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB
Ernst & Young
KPMG Cayman Islands
Duff & Phelps
Kalo Advisors (and predecessor entities)
Scotiabank and Trust (Cayman) Ltd.
FirstCaribbean International Bank
JG Gallagher/ Artex Risk Solutions Inc.
Chris Johnson Associates Ltd.
Cayman Islands Institute of Professional Accountants
- Acted as Cayman Counsel to a law firm defending against claims of professional negligence by SEC Receivers of Founding Partners Global Funds, which included Cayman Islands-based Funds involved in fraud.
Since its establishment in Cayman in 2015, Collas Crill has ‘gone from strength to strength in the dispute resolution world’ and is particularly well versed in complex international insolvency and restructuring matters. The ‘solution-oriented’ Stephen Leontsinis leads the practice, which also handles funds disputes, fraud and asset tracing claims, complex shareholder and partnership disputes, as well as enforcement matters related to international arbitration decisions. Rocco Cecere was promoted to partner in late 2019 after joining the firm earlier in the year, while Matthew Dors is singled out as an ‘incredibly meticulous and intelligent lawyer’ by clients.
‘Since starting up in Cayman, Collas Crill has gone from strength to strength in the dispute resolution world. They have built a really solid team of lawyers who have an excellent grasp of the law but who also understand the commercial realities and constraints that liquidators and other Court officers often face. They are rapidly becoming a force in Cayman and undoubtedly taking work from some of the larger, more established players.’
‘Matthew Dors is an incredibly meticulous and intelligent lawyer. His advice is always fully thought out and strategically on point. In my experience he is thinking two or three steps ahead of everyone else.’
‘I have found the Collas Crill team to be very capable, efficient and easy to work with. They are approachable and always available on the phone even when juggling multiple engagements. They have great technical expertise; they are pragmatic and commercially sensible, and encourage a collaborative approach to addressing matters.’
‘Matthew Dors strives for excellence in all matters he handles. He is continuously developing and driving his team to ensure quality deliverables. He has a great ability to understand client’s concerns and get to the heart of the issues.’
‘Over the last few years the team has expanded and there is a lot of depth in the department. They are a motivated and dynamic group of people who thrive on complex matters. The team are highly responsive and very user friendly.’
‘I have primarily worked with Stephen Leontsinis. I enjoy working with Stephen, who is highly collaborative. He has solid technical skills and never loses sight of the commercial objectives of the client. He is very solution orientated.’
‘Quick and sharp response. Create good competition for traditional offshore firm. Price is very competitive.’
AAN Digital Services Co KSCP
FTI Consulting (Cayman) Ltd
EY (Cayman) Ltd
Joint Official Liquidators (“JOLs”) of Platinum
Partners Value Arbitrage Fund, L.P.
SEC appointed Receiver to the TCA Global Credit Fund.
Joint official liquidators of Direct Lending Income Feeder Fund, Ltd. (In Official Liquidation)
FourWorld Capital Management; Athos Capital Limited
- Acting for the JOLs in relation to the liquidation of PPVA, a hedge fund purporting to have $1.1bn in assets under management, on a myriad of domestic and cross-border issues.
- Representing the JOLs of Caledonian Bank Limited (in official liquidation) in relation to actions of fraudulent trading not previously brought in the Cayman Islands.
- Acting for a group of private equity funds in a dispute with eHi Car Services Limited.
Kobre & Kim
Kobre & Kim is regularly instructed in disputes across a range of sectors, primarily involving cross-border fraud and misconduct issues. Bolstered by the arrival of Ulrich Payne from Ogier in late 2019, the firm’s dispute resolution offering, which takes a cross-departmental approach, acts for trustees, mutual and private equity funds, hospitality corporations and financial services clients in contentious matters. Peter Tyers-Smith is a key contact for complex commercial and insolvency-related litigation, and Jalil Asif QC, who divides his time between Cayman and London, is a further name to note.
‘Ulrich Payne is diligent and committed to the client’s cause. I value his desire to think beyond the obvious and to assist in developing strategy alongside the onshore team.’
‘Ulrich Payne is a “go-to” practitioner in Cayman. He is committed and always available.’
Vantage Drilling International
BitMain Technologies Holding Company Ltd.
Shanghai Lan Cai Asset Management
- Representing current and former executives from leading coffee chain Luckin Coffee following an internal investigation into alleged fabricated transactions totalling over $300m.
- Advising Fund Fiduciary Partners as court appointed receivers and independent directors of various entities within a global alternative investments firm subject to multi-party litigation in multiple jurisdictions involving serious allegations of unlawful means conspiracy and misappropriation of hundreds of millions of dollar.
- Represented Vantage Drilling International in relation to a claim for $100m, which was made by the liquidators of Vantage Drilling Company over intercompany debts they alleged were owed between VDI and VDC and the respective subsidiaries.
The corporate and commercial team at Forbes Hare, which is led by Christopher Young, handles an array of local and international disputes and is most notably instructed on large, complex insolvency cases. Key mandates include handling the insolvencies of regulated entities including investment funds and insurance companies. Alistair Abbott is another key litigator in the team, which also acts for clients in commercial injunctive work, shareholder disputes and trust litigation.
‘Excellent knowledge, sound advice to the client on merits of the case, and prospect of success, always available.’
‘Fleur O’Driscoll and Christopher Young – excellent communication skills, client friendly. Accommodating.’
Liquidators to the Fairfield Funds
Aspial Investment Limited and Bumper East Limited
SC Global Vision Fund SPC
XiO GP Limited
- Acting for XiO GP Limited in a number of proceedings before the Grand Court, including an application for urgent injunctive relief and the recognition of a foreign interim receivership order, and a dispute over the beneficial ownership of the shares in XiO GP Limited and the status of certain former officers of XiO GP Limited.
- Acting for SC Global Vision Fund SPC, the purchaser of the entire share capital of a Cayman Islands company, in seeking to have the share register of the company rectified to reflect the transfer of ownership from the seller.
- Acted for ICICI Bank and a syndicate of lenders, in relation to security, priority and enforcement issues affecting a substantial debt (approximately $1bn) owed by Essar Global Fund Limited, a substantial Cayman fund with assets and liabilities in numerous jurisdictions.
HSM acts for a variety of stakeholders in cross-border restructuring and insolvency matters, with particular expertise in representing investment funds and banking and financial services clients. Ian Lambert, who is the litigation, restructuring and insolvency practice head, specialises in bankruptcy litigation and also asset recovery claims and commercial litigation, including contract disputes. Senior associate Adam Crane is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ian Lambert: Ian is a first class insolvency and restructuring lawyer. He is regularly involved in high profile and contentious engagements and he constantly delivers. He is a strong advocate.’
Cayman National Bank
JN Cayman (Bank)
Kalo (Cayman) Limited
Chris Johnson Associates Ltd.
Caribbean Utility Company (“CUC”)
Cayman Islands Health Services Authority
- Defended the joint official liquidators of six Cayman-registered funds against high-value fraud claims brought by Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi and Brothers.
- Acted for Borrelli Walsh, as joint official liquidators of two feeder funds to Platinum Partners Value Arbitrage Group, in the liquidations and related proceedings.
As a 'niche firm with particular expertise in Cayman company and insolvency law issues', Priestleys' litigation team fields experienced English barristers who possess a 'high level of ability at drafting court documents and have a lot of real-time court experience'. In late 2019, David Lewis-Hall joined the team, which is headed by Guy Dilliway-Parry, who is described by one client as 'incredibly hardworking and tactically astute'. He also specialises in multi-jurisdictional shareholder disputes, many of which originate from Hong Kong and China.
Other key lawyers:
‘This is a niche firm with particular expertise in Cayman company and insolvency law issues. Its lawyers include barristers who practiced for several years at the English Bar before moving to live in Cayman, and as a result have a high level of ability at drafting court documents and have a lot of real-time court experience. It is also reasonably priced.’
‘Guy Dilliway-Parry is very experienced and measured, with a particularly good manner with clients. David Lewis-Hall is very bright, knowledgeable in a number of areas of law, a team player and enjoyable to work with.’
‘The team is at the forefront of taking human rights challenges to Court. It has significant experience in this field.’
‘Guy Dilliway-Parry is incredibly hardworking and tactically astute.’
Bronzelink Holdings Limited
PDP Corporation and PDP Holdings
Estate of Frank Fleiger
Caribbean Loss Adjusters
Mayer Holdings Limited
Royal Cayman Islands Police Association
BIIL (In Liquidation)
Multiple High net worth Ancillary Relief Clients
3rd Home Limited
Sol Petroleum (Cayman).
Cayman Enterprise City
Mayer Holdings Limited
- Acted for Bronzelink Holdings Inc in contested proceedings involving an application for the substitution of a petitioning creditor and for the appointment of Provisional Liquidators.
- Represent OP, PDP Corporation and PDP Holdings in respect of preference/avoidance claims brought against clients by the Trustee in Bankruptcy in the associated case and further in respect of an associated worldwide freezing injunction.
- Acting for Royal Cayman Islands Police Association and multiple defendants in respect of an application for declarations of incompatibility of the Police Law and discrimination on the grounds of age contrary to the Constitution of the Cayman Islands.
The litigation and dispute resolution department at boutique firm Ritch & Conolly is headed up by Cherry Bridges, who is a ‘seasoned lawyer with significant experience in cross-border insolvency and dispute resolution matters’. Aside from the group's insolvency expertise, the team also acts for a variety of clients in fund disputes, shareholder claims, trusts litigation, contractual issues, asset-tracing mandates, and handles the enforcement of foreign and domestic judgments. Senior associate David Collier is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘David Collier is a very astute and canny individual who combines legal nous with financial acumen.’
‘Small boutique practice with highly experienced lawyers who have worked and litigated in the Cayman for over 20+years. They have acted for many clients on high profile, complex engagement to achieve successful results. Very capable firm for handling medium and large complex matters for commercial rates.’
‘Cherry Bridges is a seasoned lawyer with significant experience in cross border insolvency and dispute resolution matters. She is tough minded, aggressive and goes the extra mile for her clients. She is lovely to work with and brings to bear sound judgement and practical advice.’
‘Ritch & Conolly have a first class dispute resolution practise with a deep understanding of government processes and requirements.’
‘David Collier is the stand out senior associate who is trusted by clients for his pragmatic and commercial approach.’
‘A boutique firm covering a range of specialities but well able to compete with the lead players in the Cayman Islands.’
‘Cherry Bridges is utterly relentless, never giving up on a point and carrying arguments by sheer force of will.’
‘Cherry Bridges is friendly caring and diligent. She work hard to deal with all issues and has extremely high standards.’
‘Since 2009, Ritch & Conolly has been the only firm on which I will call in the Cayman Islands. They are exceptionally clever and remarkable in court. Furthermore, their ability to carefully explain legal concepts unique to the Cayman Islands to clients from around the world, as well as to foreign lawyers, must be noted.’
‘Cherry Bridges has been my go-to lawyer in the Cayman Islands. She is clever and she is kind, proving one can be a standout lawyer and do it with class.’
Cayman Islands Airports Authority
The Port Authority of the Cayman Islands
IGCF Fund and the Conflict Director of the IGCF Fund (Abraaj liquidation)
Oriental Knowledge Tank Ltd.
First Caribbean International Bank Ltd.
Cayman National Bank
Cayman Islands Civil Service Association Credit Union
- Acting for the IGCF Fund and the Conflict Director of IGCF Fund in the Abraaj liquidation.
- Representing the Port Authority of the Cayman Islands in numerous disputes, including landlord and tenant, regulatory and compliance matters, RFP’s, employment, contract disputes, lease and purchase, Freedom of Information and personal injury issues.
- Acting for the Cayman Islands Airport Authority in numerous legal disputes, including landlord and tenant, regulatory and compliance matters, employment, contract disputes, lease and purchase, Freedom of Information and personal injury issues.
Stuarts Walker Hersant Humphries' practice handles the full gamut of commercial, insurance and insolvency-related disputes, with noted expertise in director duties issues, scheme of arrangement claims and voluntary liquidation matters. Richard Annette leads the team, which primarily represents US and Latin American clients in disputes before the Cayman courts. Another name to note is associate Dunzelle Daker.
Other key lawyers:
British Caymanian Insurance Company Limited
Island Heritage Insurance Company Ltd
Frontera Resources Corporation
Arnage Holdings Ltd./Brooklands Holdings Ltd.
Industrial Staffing Limited /Kensington Management Ltd.
- Acted for Arnage Holdings Limited, Brooklands Holdings Limited and East Farthing Holdings Limited in high-value proceedings against a leading Cayman Islands law firm, in the leading Cayman Islands case on attorneys’ duties and successfully obtained judgment as to liability.
- Acting for Frontera in taking over Cayman Proceedings from other attorneys who previously acted for Frontera in claims relating to directors’ duties.