Corporate and commercial in Cayman Islands
With a team of ‘quality, seasoned lawyers’, Maples Group has ‘unparalleled depth of expertise’ in Cayman corporate matters including domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, formations and constitution work, corporate restructurings, corporate governance practices and other general corporate and commercial advisory matters. The department focuses on assisting financial services, pharmaceuticals, media and energy clients and fields a dedicated Latin America group. Kieran Walsh, who co-heads the Latin America group, advised XP Inc. on the Cayman aspects of its $2.3bn IPO including handling the significantly complex shareholder arrangement negotiations. Managing partner Matthew Gardner leads the local corporate group, which includes M&A expert, Michael Johns, public company specialists Suzanne Correy and Daniel Lee, Simon Firth and regulatory practice head Christopher Capewell. Other names to note are Shari Seymour and Finn O’Hegarty.
Other key lawyers:
‘Client service from Kieran Walsh and team is just perfect. Plus, it is a great hands on team. very good on the technical side.’
‘Kieran Walsh – the best partner in Cayman by far…’
‘Unparalleled depth of expertise in this field; quality seasoned lawyers with commercial mindsets driven by client objectives and not their own.’
‘Matthew Gardner remains the go to person for all Cayman corporate matters; his knowledge and application of the law supplemented by relevant client experience means that his advice is not just simply legal advice but relevant commercial business advice. He remains accessible to clients and ensures a level of prompt responsiveness not normally seen in someone so senior. He’s also developed a quality team in his own image; thorough, knowledgeable and presentable.’
CSN Islands XI Corp
LCM Asset Management
New Frontier Group
Platinum Equity Partners
SK Capital Partners
Social Capital Hedosophia
TPG Pace Holdings Corp
Union Acquisition Corp. ll
- Advised XP Inc. on the Cayman Islands aspects of its $2.3bn IPO – the largest IPO in Brazil and the fourth largest in the US in 2019.
- Advised Platinum Equity on its acquisition of NYSE-listed Cision Ltd for $2.7bn.
- Advised New Frontier on its acquisition of United Family Healthcare from TPG and Fosun Pharma.
With global financial institutions, corporations and private fund sponsors on its client roster, Mourant’s corporate team is ‘always very responsive on short notice, turns around documents quickly, and manages processes and requirements very tightly’. Led by managing partner Hayden Isbister, the department provides advice to clients on major M&A transactions, corporate restructurings, equity capital matters, joint ventures and regulatory issues. Neal Lomax has extensive experience advising on corporate transactions involving Cayman structures, while Alex Last specialises in work for private equity fund sponsors; he recently acted as Cayman counsel for CBRE Global Investment Partners on its acquisition of 25% of the interests in Cityhold Office Partnership from TIAA-CREF. Alexandra Woodcock and Ramesh Maharaj joined the team from Walkers in mid-2019. Catherine Pham and counsel Nathaniel Luker are further names to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very knowledgeable team of professionals. They are really commercially oriented, practical and great negotiators.’
‘I have really enjoyed working with Neal Lomax and Nathaniel Luker on an M&A deal in Cayman. I have really appreciated their commercially oriented mindset and their advice coming from previous experience on similar deals. They would timely provide comments and always go the extra mile to help us achieve our goal.’
‘Ramesh Maharaj is highly responsive and thoughtful.’
‘Mourant is always very responsive on short notice, turns around documents quickly, and manages processes and requirements very tightly. Their advice is always in our best/fiduciary interests, and we have no doubts on the recommendations and positions taken at their advice. Further they have an extensive network of high quality firms for niche expertise or subject matters is required.’
‘All of the individuals are extremely high quality. They are quick to understand asks and apply the correct team member to the task.’
‘Personable approach based on a long term relationship. Responsiveness to inquiries and proactive approach to identify issues in real time, or even before they emerge.’
‘Definitely the personable approach to a relationship, the care that is put into knowing me as their client beyond just the work arena, which creates a high degree of trust that facilitates a sense that we are working together to create success for both Mourant and the client.’
CBRE Global Investment Partners
L Catterton Partners
CVC Capital Partners
Bruckman, Rosser, Sherrill & Co, LLC
The Simpson Group Inc.
Pamplona Capital Management LLP
- Providing advice to The Simpson Group following the 2019 business combination between Parkland Fuel Corporation and the client’s subsidiary, SOL Investments Limited.
- Advised leading private equity firm L Catterton on the Cayman law aspects of a significant PIPE investment related to Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Limited.
- Provided Cayman Islands law advice to leading private equity firm, CBRE Global Investment Partners, in connection with its acquisition of 25% of the interests in Cityhold Office Partnership from TIAA-CREF.
At Walkers, the team advises major public and private companies across a wide range of sectors on the full spectrum of corporate and commercial law. M&A, restructuring work, joint ventures, shareholder arrangements and corporate restructurings are among the department’s key areas of strengths. In addition to Rob Jackson’s prominence in the corporate space, the team also includes David Collins, who has extensive experience advising financial institutions, hedge funds, private equity funds, corporations, issuers and institutional investors on corporate transactions. The firm has also seen continued growth in the CLO space; the practice is a key name for established managers as well as new entrants to the area. James Burch, Philip Paschalides, Paige Gaston-Thiery and senior counsel Justin Hart are the other names to note.
Bank of America
Oak Hill Capital Management
The Carlyle Group
- Acted as Cayman counsel to Apollo as the manager of four legacy CLOs – ALM V, VI, VIII, and XII – and rolled those assets into one transaction.
- Acted as Cayman counsel to Thunderbolt III Aircraft Lease Limited as debt issuer and Thunderbolt III Limited as equity certificate issuer on an aircraft-backed securitisation with a portfolio of 19 jet aircraft.
- Acting as Cayman counsel to the issuer – Airborne Capital Limited and Elliot Associates – in relation to a 17 aircraft asset-backed securitisation.
Appleby’s corporate work spans international M&A, corporate restructurings, joint ventures and corporate issues for investment funds. In a recent notable highlight, corporate finance specialist Jacob MacAdam advised on the Cayman elements of the $30bn all-stock acquisition of Willis North America by Aon - if approved, the transaction would create the world’s largest insurance broker. Regularly instructed by an assortment of FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 companies, the department comprises a large number of experienced lawyers. Simon Raftopoulos leads the local corporate practice group following the retirement of Bryan Hunter, Caroline Barton is Cayman banking and asset finance practice head, and David Bulley leads the Cayman corporate restructuring, distressed debt and special situations team. Other names to note include structured finance specialist Benjamin Woolf and counsel Peter Colegate, who is global co-head of the technology and innovation group, which also includes newly promoted senior associate Dean Bennett.
Other key lawyers:
J.P. Morgan Securities plc
Banco Bradesco S.A
Sable International Finance Limited
Palatine Private Equity LLP
North Star Holdco Limited
Citigroup Global Markets Limited
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. (“MUFG”)
China Automation Group (“CAG”)
Alussa Energy Acquisition Corp.
CDGRP SF Cayman (SPC) Ltd
- Advised Willis North America Inc. and Aon plc on the acquisition by Aon, by way of a two-step merger, of Willis, which is the ultimate beneficial owner of Willis Towers Watson Management Ltd., a regulated Insurance Broker and Insurance Manager in the Cayman Islands.
- Advising Palatine Private Equity LLP on the Cayman aspects of its controlling investment in SMP Partners, including due diligence reviews, acquisition financing and related security packages, and assisting with regulatory approval applications and ongoing regulatory advice.
- Acted as Cayman counsel to North Star Holdco Limited as buyer on its acquisition of Seacor Capital’s North Sea standby safety business.
Alongside its insurance and reinsurance practice, Conyers has a notable reputation for offshore M&A transactions, regularly advising on cross-border matters involving the technology, mining, insurance, telecoms, financial, pharmaceuticals and oil and gas sectors. Following the retirement of Richard Fear, Matthew Stocker is now head of the corporate team while Kevin Butler remains as Cayman office head. Stocker's practice also encompasses corporate restructurings, preference share deals, aircraft and vessel registrations, and providing corporate advice to investment funds. Counsel Cora Miller is another name to note in the firm’s corporate practice.
Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)
Aquiline Capital Partners
Y-Bridge Insurance SPC
- Acted as Cayman legal counsel to IFM Global Infrastructure Fund on its $10.3bn acquisition of Buckeye Partners, LP.
- Advised Royal Bank of Canada on the establishment of a new Class D licensed reinsurer in the Cayman Islands, RBC Insurance Company (Cayman) Limited.
- Advised Aquiline Capital Partners on the Cayman legal and regulatory aspects of the acquisition of an independent insurance brokerage, Relation Insurance Services, from private equity firms, Parthenon and Century Equity Partners.
Notably strong in the digital, blockchain and fintech industries, the multi-disciplinary corporate team at Ogier also acts for clients in the financial services, natural resources, energy, infrastructure, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing sectors. Handling an array of transactional and regulatory matters, the department is led by Bradley Kruger, who has a significant downstream M&A practice, handling private equity and cross-border public company transactions. Previously the firm’s global corporate and commercial head, Angus Davison is active in restructurings, mergers and reverse takeovers, while global funds finance practice head James Heinicke specialises in corporate reorganisations. Also active are Mark Santangeli and managing associate James Lydeard.
‘Efficient, responsive and with excellent legal knowledge.’
Centerbridge Partners LP
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
EMR Capital Advisors Pty Ltd
Borr Drilling Limited
Dream Global Real Estate Investment Trust
Starz Mortgage Capital Ltd
ARYA Sciences Acquisition Corp.
- Advised Dream Global Real Estate Investment Trust’s subsidiaries on the Cayman law aspects of the $6.2bn sale of all assets acquired by affiliates of leading global investment firm Blackstone Group Inc.
- Advised Borr Drilling Limited and its Cayman subsidiaries on the Cayman law aspects of its $50m listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Advised on the Cayman law aspects of the business combination between ARYA Sciences Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition vehicle, and Immatics Biotechnologies GmbH in a deal valued at up to $252m at closing.
At Campbells, the corporate team has a notable track record in complex corporate reorganisations and international M&A transactions. Regularly instructed by multinational corporations and financial services providers, the group provides advice that is 'nuanced and commercial'. Managing partner John Wolf has extensive experience in the financial services sector, while corporate practice head Alan Craig receives instructions on a broad range of transactions. Richard Spencer regularly advises start-ups and established technology companies with corporate structuring and fundraising matters. Joint ventures and mining and natural resource transactions are further areas of focus for the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘The quality of Campbells’ advice is excellent, in my experience, and so one has complete confidence in what they are telling you. Their advice is nuanced and commercial. They are very responsive.’
‘My main contact is John Wolf. He involves his partners and other members of the team as he feels appropriate. I have known John for many years and I feel I can rely on him. He is a pleasure to deal with.’
Barrick Gold Corporation
- Acted as Cayman counsel to Nu Holdings and its US and Brazilian counsel in respect of the $400m Series F round of fundraising.
- Acted for Creditas in connection with its offer and sale of Series D Preference Shares.
- Acted for Benchmark Capital on all aspects of Cayman law in connection with its investment and purchase of preferred shares of TFG, Ltd. the holding company of Wildlife Studios.
Carey Olsen has ‘assembled a team of experienced practitioners who seek direct engagement with their clients’, which includes many London Stock Exchange-listed corporations. Jointly led by managing partners Jarrod Farley and the ‘tremendously knowledgeable and approachable’ Nick Bullmore, the corporate department focuses on public and private M&A transactions, corporate restructurings, private equity transactions and specialist shareholder advice. Finance specialists Alistair Russell and Richard Munden are other names to note.
‘Carey Olsen has assembled a team of experienced practitioners who seek direct engagement with their clients and really work hard to understand their needs. They are approachable and adaptable and routinely provide cost efficient advice and solutions.’
‘Nick Bullmore – tremendously knowledgeable and approachable; his approach puts the client first and he’s keen to find the best solution.’
‘Richard Munden – technically excellent and very hard working.’
Frontier Smart Technologies
London Stock Exchange
- Advising the London Stock Exchange on the proposed acquisition of financial data provider Refinitiv as it relates to the Cayman companies in Refinitiv’s holding structure.
- Providing Cayman legal advice to Evonik on the merger agreement and merger process for the purchase of PeroxyChem, a manufacturer of specialty chemicals, from One Equity Partners.
- Advising Konfio Limited on its $100m capital raising round lead by the SoftBank Vision Fund and Goldman Sachs.
Instructed both by local corporations and international group subsidiaries based in Cayman, Bedell Cristin’s workload encompasses acquisitions, disposals, reorganisations, mergers and joint ventures across a range of sectors. Joss Morris, who recently joined from Collas Crill, is the corporate transactional lawyer to note in the jurisdiction.
Other key lawyers:
Working in close conjunction with the firm’s Jersey and Guernsey offices, Collas Crill in Cayman advises stock exchange-listed companies on M&A and fields an additional technology and start-up practice, which has fintech, blockchain and cryptocurrency capabilities. Cayman managing partner Alan Desaram heads up the corporate, finance and funds department, which also has experience with corporate governance issues and includes senior associate Natalie Bell.
Other key lawyers:
The corporate team at Stuarts Walker Hersant Humphries is particularly adept at handling company and investment fund incorporations, and also has experience in private equity matters, start-ups and disposals, joint ventures and group reorganisations. Managing director Chris Humphries, who also heads up the firm’s investments funds and digital, blockchain and fintech groups, acts for a range of financial institutions, investment managers and insurance companies. Senior associate Megan Wright is another name to note.
Jetstream Aviation Capital Citibank
CTMH Holding Ltd
WM Partners LP
Kensington Management Group
IndusInd Bank Limited
AFA Silk Road
Deutsche Bank Trust Company Americas
International Infrastructure Finance Company
Cerberus Business Finance, LLC.
Karm Legal Consultants
- Advised Jetstream Aviation Capital on the Cayman aspects of its private equity fund formation; other recent work has also included advising the client on the acquisition of a Cayman Islands SPV which owned an aircraft.
- Advised Guggenheim Investments on all aspects of investment and trading vehicles in the Cayman Islands.
- Acting for CTMH Holding Ltd. and its group entities in connection with the operations of the CTMH Doctors Hospital and associated businesses; general corporate advice included its recent $20m re-financing, maintenance work and various other matters.