The dedicated technology team at Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP spans across its Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary offices. Clients from all industries entrust the team to handle the full scope of technology law matters, including M&A, commercial transactions and regulatory work. Industry expertise includes defence, transportation, pharmaceutical, financial services, energy, medical devices and telecommunications. The team is also supported by specialists in IP, tax, data privacy, dispute resolution and antitrust. The practice is led by Montreal based expert, Sunny Handa whose vast expertise encompasses outsourcing, e-commerce, data protection, open-source software and licensing. The team was bolstered by the arrival of Robert Tremblay in August 2021.
Technology in Canada
Cboe Global Markets, Inc.
Jam City, Inc.
Multi-Health Systems Inc. (“MHS”)
Norwest Venture Partners
Pet Valu Canada Inc.
- Advised Cboe Global Markets, Inc. in its share purchase of Aequitas Innovations, Inc., further expanding its Canadian operations.
- Advised TD Bank on its strategic alliance with Canada Post to expand access to financial services for Canadians, beginning with a new personal loan product.
- Advised PayIt, a cloud-based government payments platform, on its precedent-setting three-year contract with the City of Toronto.
McCarthy Tétrault is well-regarded for its handling of major technology procurements and outsourcing, in addition to related M&A transactions. Clients also benefit from the team’s vast industry expertise, encompassing those in insurance, energy, banking, retail and government. The practice is also known for its TechLex blog, which covers technology law trends such as cybersecurity, e-commerce and fintech. Toronto-based Christine Ing leads the team and often oversees technology issues that arise in corporate transactions. Charles Morgan is a key contact for AI related matters, while Barry Sookman is highly regarded for his IT and IP expertise. Michael Scherman is noted for his expertise in cloud services and licensing. Lori Stein joined the team from Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP.
Other key lawyers:
WSP Global Inc.
- Advised SecureKey Technologies Inc. in connection with a strategic transaction to assign exclusive rights to offer its digital ID services in Canadaacquired toby Interac Corp.
- Advised WSP Global Inc. in the negotiation of its implementation of a global enterprise resource planning and Application Management Services MSA with Infosys.
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP‘s team provides end-to-end advice on a vast array of technology matters. The team advises a vast array of clients, including emerging companies and household names, on matters such as payment modernization, payment systems, loyalty card programs, supply chain management and sales data collection. In addition, the group also has a breadth of knowledge in blockchain, AI, robotics and data science matters. The practice is led by Toronto-based, Wendy Gross whose specialisms include e-commerce, cloud computing, social media and anti-spam. Michael Fekete is a key contact for technology and privacy law matters, while Ted Liu often advises financial institutions, insurance companies and mid-size technology companies.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Fekete; Ted Liu
Goodmans LLP‘s team advise a range of clients from start-ups to late-stage companies, such as internet service providers, lenders, government agencies, entrepreneurs and telecommunication and media companies. Its breadth of knowledge covers the full spectrum of technology law issues including technology acquisitions, regulatory issues, privacy and data security, risk management and social media issues. The sizeable team is collectively led by Richard Corley, Allan Goodman and Peter Ruby. Corley’s focus lies within complex outsourcing transactions, while Goodman often advises issuers and underwriters. Ruby has extensive expertise in dispute resolution concerning cloud services and IP.
‘Business-oriented team that understands and cares about their client’s business. They look for ways to help their client’s achieve their goals – not put up roadblocks.’
‘Great understanding of the technology space, how to conduct the proper level of due diligence, and handle complex situations, such as cross-border, etc.
‘Very practical team that’s issuer friendly and resolves issues collaboratively.’
‘They are collaborative and share ideas, creative, and know the actors in the Canadian tech community well which helps establish credibility.’
SAP Canada Inc. and SAP America Inc.
Canaccord Genuity Group
Ceridian HCM Holding Inc.
Ontario Lottery & Gaming Corporation
Canadian Institute for Exponential Growth (Singularity University Canada)
Round 13 Capital
Lending Loop Financial
National Bank Financial Inc.
Warren Equity Partners
Dye & Durham
The practice at Torys is entrusted by an array of clients ranging across many industries such as energy, pensions, sports, entertainment, real estate and healthcare. The team’s expertise range from the development, licensing and acquisition of technology to matters of IP and the commercialization of IT. Adam Armstrong and Joel Ramsey co-lead the team from Toronto. Armstrong’s practice focus concerns outsourcing transactions and software, in addition to blockchain technology. Ramsey is well regarded for his extensive knowledge in technology development and procurement, data distribution and fintech. Ebad Rahman and Jessica Lumiere are other key contacts, while Julie Himo joined the team from Norton Rose Fulbright.
‘Torys’ ability to provide savvy technology law advice in the context of the broader needs and priorities was unparalleled.’
‘Ebad Rahman was exceptional to work with. What stands out in particular is his combination of expertise and practicality. Ebad’s documents were legally sound and protected our interests, but also were built to be usable and practical for our business and technology executives to rely on in future years.’
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
Moneris Solutions Corporation
Medical Pharmacies Group Limited
Canadian Football League
Prairie Centrals and Prairie Payments Joint Venture
- Acted for CIBC in its acquisition of the existing Canadian Costco credit card portfolio from CapitalOne.
- Advised Moneris in its acquisition of UEAT Technologies.
- Acted for Laurentian Bank in its strategic partnership with Brim Financial, one of the fastest-growing fintech companies in Canada and a licensed credit card issuer, to fuel its digital transformation and enhance its end-to-end customer journey for its suite of VISA products.
Bennett Jones LLP integrates its technology team with its commercial group to seamlessly advise clients on all related matters. The team has a breadth of experience in licensing matters concerning IT procurement and contracting and often advises clients within telecommunication, retail, financial, utilities and energy industries. Stephen Burns leads the practice, boasting expertise in technology transfers, data privacy and cybersecurity. Sébastien Gittens oversees IP negotiations in M&A matters
Other key lawyers:
The team at Gowling WLG handles a wide scope of technology matters such as outsourcing, e-commerce, cybersecurity, IP and systems integration. The practice is often sought by clients in emerging technologies such as AI, digital transformation, fintech and blockchain. Viona Duncan heads the team and often advises Canadian and international clients on technology issues arising from commercial transactions. Megan Cornell and Mohammed Muraj joined the team in late 2021.
Amazon and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
McRock Fund II LP
Altus Assessments Inc.
- Counsel to McRock Capital, which led a $57m Series A financing round for Landing AI.
- Advised Feenics Cloud Access Control Inc, with respect to its significant acquisition by ACRE, a global leader of state-of-the-art security systems.
- Advised Amazon providing a broad range of ongoing legal services, government related and strategic advice including the opening of its data services and fulfilment centres in Canada.
The nationwide practice at Norton Rose Fulbright has offices in Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Toronto, Quebec City and Ottawa; its national presence and multidisciplinary approach enables the team to oversee technology issues arising in M&A, litigation and tax matters across Canada. Cybersecurity expert Imran Ahmad heads the practice, splitting his time between the Montreal and Toronto office. Nikita Stepin, Véronique Barry, Brian Chau and Brigitte LeBlanc-Lapointe were all promoted to partner in January 2022.
‘Strong domain knowledge and very focused on being responsive and timely.’
‘They adapted to our working style and specific needs and delivered in the required time and in the appropriate format.’
‘A great balance of legal and business acumen.’
‘Strong team that provides prudent advice in a timely manner; everyone is not only knowledgeable about law, but also provides perspectives of market practice and how it should apply to my organization.’
‘Really appreciate the fact we have people with varied backgrounds, both at global law firms and in-house experience. The latter experience provides much more on-point advice and pragmatic approaches to how the law should be applied inside a tech company.’
Coveo Solutions Inc.
Amcomri Entertainment Inc.
Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec
- Advised Coveo Solutions Inc. on its $215m initial public offering of subordinate voting shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol “CVO”.
- Advised Benevity, Inc. on the acquisition of Alaya, an employee engagement “software as a service” platform.
- Advised VerticalScope Holdings Inc. in connection with its initial public offering and TSX listing of its subordinate voting shares, and related reorganization matters.
Baker McKenzie‘s practice advises clients on IT licensing agreements, broadcasting and media requirements, AI solutions and data governance standards. Theo Ling heads the team from Toronto and is often sought by clients to handle digital transformation and data governance projects. The team was joined by Conrad Flaczyk in October 2021.
‘Deep experience advising large enterprises undergoing an Information Governance transition.’
‘Expertise and friendly, supportive manner building trust in clients.’
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP‘s multidisciplinary team advises clients on product life cycles and regulatory issues, as well as the creation, acquisition, adoption and use of technology services and products.
Zain Rizvi; Brian Kujavsky
Generac Holding Inc.
The Kesson Group
WeCommerce Holdings Ltd
Leaseweb Global B.V.
Epic Games, Inc.
Triage Technologies Inc.
- Advising Triage Technologies Inc., a Toronto-based and AI-powered digital health company, with its business structure, commercial agreements and equity raise.
- Acted for Leaseweb Global B.V., a leading hosting and cloud services company, in its acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding shares of iWeb Technologies Inc., a subsidiary of Internap Holding LLC and one of Canada’s foremost providers of cloud services and server hosting.
- Acted for Smile CDR Inc. in a Series A financing round, raising US$20 million to further develop Smile CDR’s health data storage and integration platform.
The team at Dentons has particular expertise in cryptocurrency, fintech, blockchain, AI and virtual reality. The sizeable group is led by both David Little and Tom Sides who are based in Ottawa and Edmonton respectively. Little focuses on venture capital financings and buy-outs while Sides is best known for his IP and privacy expertise. Chris Wolfenberg joined the team from Fasken.
Lightship Security, Inc.
eScribe Software Ltd.
Vistara Technology Growth Fund
Information Venture Partners Fund III LP & Illuminate Financial Management
BDC Capital Inc.
Auvik Networks Inc.
Healthy Web Inc. dba Fullscript
BDC Capital Inc.
Portag3 Ventures II Investments LP, BDC Capital Inc. and Kensington Capital Partners
Drive Capital Fund III, LP
Index Ventures X (Jersey) LP
1245341 B.C. Ltd. (d/b/a CarScanner)
Cloud DX, Inc.
White Star Capital
Clear Risk Inc.
Dignity Health Global Education
Teledyne Technologies Incorporated
Exchange Solutions Inc.
- Represented Fullscript in its $300m equity financing from HGGC and Snapdragon Capital Partners.
- Advised Auvik Networks Inc. and certain equity holders in connection with a $250m investment by Great Hill Partners, a U.S.-based private equity firm.
- Advised BDC Capital Inc. on Series D funding round for KOHO Financial Inc., a fintech company based in Toronto offering innovative banking services with the goal to democratize access to wealth creation in Canada.
DLA Piper (Canada) LLP
The team at DLA Piper (Canada) LLP is well-known for its technology expertise in commercial law matters. Ryan Black, Michael Reid and Morgan McDonald co-lead the team from Vancouver. Black’s expertise includes e-commerce and consumer-facing internet servicing matters, while Reid advises on commercial matters that involve IP, licensing and franchise issues. McDonald’s focus lies within advising founders and start-ups within the technology industry. Deepak Gill joined the team from Gowling WLG.
‘Ryan Black is an excellent lawyer technically and delivers exceptional client service.’
Autopro Automation Consultants Ltd.
Beanfield Technologies Inc.
British Columbia Automobile Association
CDW Canada Corp.
Difference Capital Financial Inc.
eWebinar Labs Inc.
FTS Forest Technology Systems Ltd.
Globalme Localization Inc.
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment
Relic Entertainment / SEGA Europe
Tantalus Labs Inc.
Wenco International Mining Systems
- Advised FansUnite Entertainment Inc. on the acquisition of the businesses and brands of American Affiliate LLC for $58m.
- Advised Draganfly Inc., a drone manufacturer and systems developer, on its Nasdaq listing and a $20m public offering with common shares.
- Advised Delta Electronics, a global leader in power and thermal management solutions, on the acquisition of global video surveillance provider, March Networks.
Stikeman Elliott LLP
Stikeman Elliott LLP‘s team advises both domestic technology companies on M&A transactions, and international technology clients investing and entering the Canadian market. Wesley Ng heads the team from Toronto and enjoys extensive experience in e-commerce and biotechnology transactions, as well as privacy issues related to CASL compliance.