With similar broad corporate expertise to its firm’s domestic branches, Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP's international offices act for clients looking for Canadian law expertise. Its international presence is run out of its offices in New York and London. The team in New York, led by Geoffrey Belsher, provides a key link to US clients looking for support with cross-border M&A, Investment Canada Act issues, and other regulatory needs including competition and regulation. The London office, led by Ross Bentley who splits time in Calgary, offers similar links to European clients, with a greater emphasis on mining and resource industries. Jamie Koumanakos, also based in New York, co-leads the firm’s private equity group, and leads relationships with many key private equity groups. London-based Jennifer Maxwell and Michael Kariya, who have broad corporate practices, are also key names.
International expertise in Canada
Geoffrey Belsher; Ross Bentley
Other key lawyers:
Jennifer Maxwell; Jamie Koumanakos; Michael Kariya
With offices in New York and London, McCarthy Tétrault‘s international network is well positioned to act for a number of its key corporate clients. The firm offers a truly global scope with its international practice, with particular emphases on West Africa, focusing on the mining and energy sectors, Latin America, Australia and the Middle East. Shea Small, based out of London and Toronto, co-heads the international practice alongside Middle Eastern specialist Karl Tabbakh. Robert Brant serves as the managing partner for the London office, while Matthew Cumming serves as managing partner in New York, with both providing M&A expertise. Other key names include London-based projects group head Christopher Langdon and Joyce Lee, who has experience connecting Canadian and Chinese clients.
- Advised Endeavour Mining on its $2.44bn combination with Teranga Gold Corporation and C$1bn all-stock acquisition of TSX-listed SEMAFO Inc.
- Advised Centrica plc and Direct Energy on the sale of Direct Energy to US-based NRG Energy Inc. for $3.625bn.
- Advised China Molybdenum Co., Ltd. on its $550m gold and silver streaming transaction with Triple Flag Precious Metals.
Bennett Jones LLP offers strong US links to its clients, with two US offices in New York and Washington DC, and lawyers who have been called to the bar in China, the UK, Doha, Australia and Japan. The team offers key expertise in mining, international trade, competition regulation, infrastructure and private equity. It also has a notable government relations practice, particularly operating out of its DC office. Melanie Aitken serves as the practice head in Washington, with her competition and foreign investment experience including serving as competition commissioner. Gordon Cameron leads the New York office, providing expertise in cross-border M&A deals.
Alberta Forest Products Association/Alberta Softwood Lumber Trade Council
Apollo Global Management LLC
ATCO Group, including subsidiaries
Avenue Capital Group
BMO Financial Group
Brookfield Properties Corp.
Bureau Veritas Consumer Products Services Inc.
Cenovus Energy Inc.
Chorus Aviation Inc.
Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. (CNRL)
Columbia Pipeline Group
Denham Capital Management LP
EFG Bank (Switzerland)
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited
G&K Services, Inc.
Government of Canada
Grant Thornton BVI
Guccio Gucci SpA
Hyundai Electric & Energy Systems Ltd.
Katanga Mining Ltd.
Kohlberg, Kravis, Roberts & Co.
Novatex Limited / M/s Gatron Industries Limited (Gatranova) / M/s G-Pac Corporation
Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd.
Oxford Properties Group
Quality Cheese Inc.
Rio Tinto Alcan
Riverstone Investment Group LLC
Steve Madden Canada
Total Energy Services Inc.
TriWest Capital Partners
TRW Automotive Holdings Corp.
Volkswagen AG, Volkswagen Group of America Inc., Volkswagen Group Canada Inc., Audi AG, Audi Canada Inc.
Walton Group of Companies
Wells Fargo Capital Finance Corporation Canada and Wells Fargo Bank NA
Woodfibre LNG Ltd.
World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Served as Canadian counsel to Stone Canyon Industries Holdings LLC and Kissner Group Holdings in their agreement to acquire K+S Aktiengesellschaft’s North and South American salt business.
- Acted for Cenovus Energy on the $23.6bn acquisition of Husky Energy.
- Acted for CMG Partners on its transaction with Subversive Capital and Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter to form TPCO Holdings Corp.
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP
With a strong track record handling complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP offers both domestic lawyers with international experience and links to well-regarded overseas counsel. Much like its corporate team, the firm offers experience in "bet the farm” style transactions, with notable expertise in the mining, energy, healthcare and telecoms sectors. It also has expertise using the US' multi-jurisdictional disclosure system for capital markets and M&A deals. Key names include Jeffrey Nadler, an M&A partner based out of New York, and Toronto-based Melanie Shishler and Vincent Mercier, both of whom have been involved in large-scale cross border matters.
Other key lawyers:
Jeffrey Nadler; Melanie Shishler; Vincent Mercier
Alexion Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Barrick Gold Corporation
The Blackstone Group
Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ)
Česká zbrojovka Group,
The Federal Republic of Nigeria
Kansas City Southern (KCS)
Rogers Communications Inc.
The Tax and Customs Agency of the Kingdom of Denmark (Skatteforvaltningen)
The Pallinghurst Group
Vale Canada Limited
WeCommerce Holdings Ltd.
WESCO International, Inc.
- Acting as Canadian counsel to Kansas City Southern on its transformative $33.6bn merger with Canadian National Railway.
- Acted for The Pallinghurst Group, a UK-based private investor in the global natural resources sector, on its joint 50-50 acquisition with Investissement Québec (IQ) of Québec-based Nemaska Lithium Inc.
- Acted for Alstom S.A. on its acquisition of Bombardier Transportation, for which the proceeds were established at €4.4bn through a combination of cash and newly issued Alstom shares.
With broad industry sector experience, Torys is a popular choice for international companies seeking to do business in Canada. The firm has notable strength acting or clients in the mining, energy and infrastructure industries, and is able to provide strong cross-border corporate and capital markets service out of its New York office. David Chaikof serves as the managing partner in the New York office. Tara Mackay, who specialises in cross-border PPP matters, and Jared Fontaine, who has experience advising private equity firms, are also based in New York. Key domestic lawyers include mining sector expert Michael Amm and M&A lawyer John Emanoilidis, both in Toronto.
David Chaikoff; Michael Amm; Karrin Powys-Lybbe; John Emanoilidis; Krista Hill; Janan Paskaran; Jared Fontaine; Mile Kurta; Don Bell
Canadian National Railway Company
Canaccord Genuity Corp.
Brookfield Asset Management
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
NRG Energy Inc.
Sagard Credit Partners
The Bank of Nova Scotia
BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc.
Riot Games, Inc.
Pollard Banknote Limited
Triple Flag Mining Finance Bermuda Ltd.
Mitsubishi Materials Corporation
Dowa Mining and Metals Co., Ltd.
Tag Oil Limited
OMERS Infrastructure Management Inc.
Prince George’s County Education and Community Partners
River Valley Alliance
- Advised CN Rail on its proposed $33.6bn acquisition of Kansas City Southern.
- Advised Scotiabank on its 15-year, four-country multibillion-dollar partnership with BNP Paribas and the sale of its Chilean insurance manufacturing and underwriting business.
- Advised Triple Flag on a $550 million gold and silver streaming transaction with certain subsidiaries of China Molybdenum Co.