Mining in Canada
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
Leveraging a strong presence across Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary, Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP's full service mining practice provides clients with comprehensive legal support in the mining sector, though the team perhaps stands out in particular for its activity in the corporate finance space. Securities specialists Jay Goldman and Paul Stein are frequently retained on transactions with significant financing components, often with an international element in North, Central and South America, Africa, Australia, Europe and Asia. The department is also well versed in the areas of Indigenous law, project developments and exploration. Jennifer Traub and Jen Hansen jointly chair the firm's mining group, with the former routinely representing issuers and investment dealers in public and private securities offerings, M&A and other financing transactions. Hansen specializes in the representation of public mining companies involved in complex transactions, including business combination transactions, take-over bids, domestic and cross-border public offerings.
With an on-the-ground presence in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Quebec City, Fasken has a strong presence in the Canadian mining market. In addition, the firm is well placed to handle international work in several key jurisdictions, working alongside colleagues in the firm's London and Johannesburg offices. The practice group advises on the full range of transactions, corporate governance matters, disputes and project developments. It has also been active in international arbitration and corporate social responsibility; two areas of growth in the wider mining industry. Key figures in the team include corporate finance specialist and global mining head John Turner and Andrew Gabrielson, that latter of whom advises on commercial agreements relating to exploration, project development, acquisition and divestiture of mining and energy projects and commercial operations. Michael Bourassa and Brian Graves are also leading names in the market, while Johanna Fipke and Krisztián Tóth are names to note on the more junior end of the partnership.
‘Proactive, commercial, client and deal focused. Pleasure to work with. Value adding advice and support.‘
AuRico Metals Inc.
De Beers Canada Inc.
Detour Gold Corporation
First Quantum Minerals Ltd.
K92 Mining Inc.
Leagold Mining Corporation
Orion Mine Finance
Sibanye Gold Ltd.
Teck Resources Limited
- Advised Teck Resources on the sale of indirect interest to Sumitomo Metal Mining for $1.2bn and contingent payments.
- Advised Katanga Mining Limited, which operates a large-scale copper-cobalt project in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), on completing an offering of rights exchangeable into common shares to raise approximately C$7.6bn.
- Acted for Leagold Mining Corporation and its lenders, jointly led by Société Générale, Investec Bank and ING Capital, in relation to a credit agreement which established credit facilities in an aggregate amount of $400m.
Bennett Jones LLP
Bennett Jones LLP advises a range of Canadian and international clients including mining companies, investment banks and investors. Its corporate and securities offering is widely recognised and is supported by an equally strong regulatory practice, with further expertise in exploration and development. Practice head Sander Grieve focuses on global mining exploration, development and extraction having also advises on several mergers, acquisitions and the public market finance elements of transactions. Grieve is supported by corporate and securities specialists Michael Melanson and Abbas Ali Khan, among others.
Adventus Zinc Corporation
AEX Gold Inc.
Argonaut Gold Inc.
Canada Nickel Company
Cantor Fitzgerald Canada Corporation
Cardinal Resource Limited
Caro Mining Corp
Conuma Coal Resources Limited
Doré Copper Mining Corp.
First Majestic Silver Corp.
First Mining Gold
Katanga Mining Limited
Klondex Mines Ltd.
McEwen Mining Inc.
Mining Association of British Columbia
Mountain Province Diamonds Inc.
New Pacific Metals
Noront Resources Limited
O3 Mining Inc.
Osisko Metals Inc.
Osisko Mining / Osisko Gold Royalties
Palladium One Mining Inc.
Perenti Group Limited
Premier Gold Mines Ltd.
Rockcliff Metals Inc.
Royal Nickel Corp.
Seabridge Gold Inc.
Sentient Equity Partners
Sentient Equity Partners LP
Victoria Gold Corp.
- Acting for Katanga Mining Limited in connection with an Ontario Securities Commission investigation.
- Represented Osisko Mining Inc.—and later O3 Mining Inc.—in the design and implementation of the spin out and roll up transactions executed by O3 Mining Corp.
- Advised BMO Nesbitt Burns as lead underwriter and a syndicate of underwriters including CIBC World Markets Inc. and HSBC Securities (Canada) Inc. on the C$60m financing transaction completed by Mandalay Resources Corporation.
Acting for financial institutions, intermediate and junior listed-mining companies, Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP has developed a strong reputation in large-scale transactional work. Reflecting growth in the industry, the practice has also developed capabilities in emerging technologies and alternative mine financing arrangements. Toronto-based department head John Wilkin focuses on domestic and cross-border M&A and corporate finance transactions, while Bob Wooder and Peter O’Callaghan also come recommended for large, complex transactions. The team also benefits from domestic offices in Montréal and Calgary, as well as from international platforms in London, New York, Beijing and Manama.
Alio Gold, Inc.
Americas Gold and Silver Corporation
Ascot Resources Ltd.
Aura Minerals Inc.
Capstone Mining Corp.
Equinox Gold Corp.
Ero Copper Corp.
First Quantum Minerals Limited
Kinross Gold Corporation
MAG Silver Corp.
Nevsun Resources Ltd.
NovaGold Resources Inc.
Pretium Resources Inc.
Rio Tinto Alcan
Seabridge Gold Inc.
Triple Flag Precious Metals Corp.
- Advised Equinox Gold Corp. on its $578m all-stock acquisition of Leagold Mining Corporation, creating one of the world’s top gold producing companies operating entirely in the Americas.
- Advised Kinross Gold Corporation on the sale of its royalty portfolio to Maverix Metals Inc. for total consideration of $74m.
- Advising Aura Minerals Inc. on its proposed $100m-150m equity financing involving the IPO of Brazilian Deposit Receipts and concurrent listing on the Brazilian Stock Exchange.
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
Borden Ladner Gervais LLP advises domestic and international mining companies on a full range of mining work. Toronto regional leader for mining Mark Wheeler is an expert in all aspects of securities and corporate finance. Vancouver-based Fred Pletcher advises public companies on corporate finance and M&A, corporate governance and general commercial matters; he is also instructed by underwriters in financing deals.
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP
At Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP, clients can be sure they are 'getting the best advice regardless of the person on the file'. Headed by Melanie Shishler in Toronto, the mining group is known for its involvement in transformational corporate transactions, having recently advised Barrick on its joint venture with Newmont Goldcorp, creating the world's largest gold complex. Indeed, the firm's longstanding relationship with Barrick generates a significant amount of work for the team, another example of which was the its counsel to Barrick on the $18.3bn merger with Randgold Resources. The mining team is recognized for its 'industry knowledge' and 'deep bench strength'. Clients also benefit from the wider firm's reputation in securities, tax, banking, environmental and aboriginal law. Another key figure in the team is Richard Fridman, a corporate and securities lawyer with notable experience handling cross-border M&A and financing deals in the mining sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘Deep bench strength, no B team and good industry knowledge.‘
‘Very capable team with a strong bench of practitioners. With Davies you know you are getting the best advice regardless of the person on the file. They never miss a beat.‘
Barrick Gold Corporation
Agnico Eagle Mines Limited
New Gold Inc.
The Blackstone Group
Lundin Mining Corporation
Titan Mining Corporation
Royal Bafokeng Platinum
Copper Mountain Mining
MAG Silver Corp
The Pallinghurst Group
Leagold Mining Corporation
Chaarat Gold Holdings Limited
Cornerstone Capital Resources Inc.
Orefinders Resources Inc.
Mistango River Resources Inc.
- Acted for Barrick in the establishment of its historic joint venture with Newmont Corporation, which combined its respective mining properties in Nevada to create the world’s largest gold complex.
- Acting as counsel to SEMAFO Inc. in its $2.1bn business combination with Endeavour Mining Corporation by way of plan of arrangement.
- Acting for New Gold Inc. in its sale of the Blackwater Project in British Columbia to Artemis Gold Inc. for C$190m in cash, C$20m in Artemis Gold shares and an 8% gold stream.
Lawson Lundell LLP has advised junior mining companies and large international clients on high-value investment transactions and M&A, as well as on early-stage exploration and other mining projects. The practice group has an on-the-ground presence in Vancouver, Calgary and Yellowknife. Contacts in the Vancouver office include Khaled Abdel-Barr, Karen MacMillan and senior counsel Chris Baldwin.
McCarthy Tétrault provides comprehensive legal support to clients in the mining sector, bringing expertise in matters ranging from high-value project financing to ongoing operations. The team is recognized in particular for its involvement in cross-border M&A and financing deals, leveraging the firm's market-leading financial services and corporate practices. In particular, the team has had recent highlights with multi-jurisdictional components in, Africa, the Middle East and Asia, Latin America, and of course, North America. To support its international work, the practice group is able to call upon colleagues from across the firm's international network in London and New York. Mining transaction specialist Roger Taplin jointly leads the group from Vancouver alongside Toronto-based Shea Small and Eva Bellissimo. Christopher Langdon co-heads the projects group in Toronto and London.
Other key lawyers:
‘McCarthy’s mining team is simply the best under high pressure environment.‘
‘Roger Taplin is an extraordinary lawyer. He combines intelligence, work ethic with a passion for client service. Roger’s analytical skills and ability to solve complex problems are second to none.‘
Mubadala Investment Company
Stelco Holdings Inc.
Zijin Mining Group Co.
- Acted for SSR Mining in its C$2.4bn share exchange acquisition of TSX and ASX-listed Alacer Gold to form a merged company worth approximately C$5.6bn.
- Acted for Newcrest Mining in its $460m acquisition of Fruta del Norte gold prepay and silver stream facilities and off-take from Orion and Blackstone, and in its $804m acquisition of a 70% joint venture interest in the Red Chris copper and gold mine in British Columbia from Imperial Metals.
- Acted for Endeavour Mining in its C$1bn all-stock agreement to acquire TSX-listed SEMAFO which operates the Boungou and Mana gold mines in Burkina Faso.
Leveraging a strong international office network, Norton Rose Fulbright acts for numerous international banks and mining companies in every stage of the development and operation cycle, from initial financing and development to operation, production, distribution and M&A. Also of note, the team has experience acting for clients in every segment of the mining and materials sectors, with recent financing and development highlights involving iron ore, copper, gold and other assets, both throughout Canada and internationally, primarily in Latin American jurisdictions. Corporate finance specialist Robert Mason leads the department from Toronto, while Ottawa-based Geoffrey Gilbert is a name to note for high-value project finance work.
Marathon Gold Corporation
PolyMet Mining Corporation
RK Mine Finance
Gold Reserve Inc.
Arcelormittal Mining Canada G.P.
Arianne Phosphate Inc.
Stornoway Diamonds (Canada) Inc.
- Advised Marathon Gold Corporation on the amended terms of its previously announced bought deal offering of units of the company.
- Advised the lenders, led by Société Générale and Bank of Nova Scotia, on Champion Iron’s guaranteed $200m credit facility to Quebec Iron Ore Inc.
- Advising the export credit agency supported commercial bank multi-source financing of the Mantoverde copper mining project in Chile.
Stikeman Elliott LLP
Stikeman Elliott LLP advises junior, intermediate and global mining companies on all manner of transactions, from early stage financings through to IPOs and M&A. The practice group also has experience of a variety of financing structures, and benefits as well from the strength of its insolvency and restructuring practice. Toronto-based Jay Kellerman leads the group and is sought out for transactional assistance, as well as to advice on strategic growth. Moreover, the group is well-placed to handle cross-border work, calling upon colleagues throughout the firm's office network in New York, London and Sydney.
The team at Dentons focuses on cross-border mining mandates involving assets in jurisdictions throughout Africa and Latin America. Experienced in the full range of regulatory, transactional and contentious work, the department's client list is made up of investors and mining companies, as well as industry service providers. Of recent note, the arrival in January 2019 of Kevin Rooney, Ora Wexler and Alex Farcas from Baker McKenzie to the firm's securities and M&A group has significantly bolstered the practice's transactional capabilities. Edmonton-based Leanne Krawchuk co-chairs the firm's global mining practice. Brian Abraham QC in Vancouver is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Gran Colombia Gold Corp.
Sprott Capital Partners LP
Regulus Resources Inc
Jervois Mining Limited
Margaux Resources Ltd.
Knight Piesold Ltd.
- Advised Gran Colombia Gold Corp. on the acquisition of a 19.89% equity interest in Western Atlas Resources Inc.
- Advising Livent Corporation on the establishment of a joint development corporation with E3 Metals Corp.
- Acted for Regulus Resources Inc. and Aldebaran Resources Inc. in the spin-out of Regulus’ Argentine mineral exploration assets to Aldebaran to form a newly listed TSXV mining company.
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP advises domestic and international mining companies on the full spectrum of issues, from initial exploration to the establishment of large-scale operations. Mining sector clients have benefited from the firm's full-service strengths in environmental law, M&A and corporate finance. Alan Hutchison and James Brown jointly lead the practice group from Vancouver and Toronto, respectively.
The 'practical and commercial' team at Torys has continued to increase its activity in mining M&A, a recent example of which was its advice to Pala Investments on the C$511m acquisition of Cobalt 27. The department continues to undertake a significant amount of capital markets work, and also has a thriving royalty and streaming finance practice. It also has experience structuring and negotiating sophisticated joint ventures and and representing clients in international arbitration claims regarding mining rights and international investments. Michael Amm and Michael Pickersgill ('efficient, calm and collected') jointly lead the group from Toronto.
‘Practical, measured and commercial approach. Creative problem solvers. Broad industry and subject matter expertise.‘
‘Mike Pickersgill – efficient, calm and collected‘
‘Top tier in the sector for commercial capability, knowledge and sound legal advice on transactions and litigation. One of the top two we work with regularly in the mining sector.‘
‘Great legal advice married with sound commercial judgement and problem solving. Most firms can give you sound legal advice. The best can help you creatively come up with excellent solutions to structure the best deals.‘
Orion Resource Partners
Pala Investments Limited
Triple Flag Precious Metals
Nevada Copper Corp.
BMO Capital Markets
Americas Gold & Silver Corporation
Alamos Gold Inc.
BaseCore Metals LP
Stelco Holdings Inc.
Dowa Metals & Mining Co.
- Acted as counsel to Pala Investments Limited in its C$511m acquisition of TSX-V listed Cobalt 27 Capital Corp., by way of a plan of arrangement under the Business Corporations Act (British Columbia), and in the related spin-out of Conic Metals Corp.
- Acted as counsel to Triple Flag Precious Metals Corp. in its attempted initial public offering and listing on the TSX.
- Acted as Canadian and U.S. counsel to Franco-Nevada Corporation in relation to its $200m at-the market equity program.
Goodmans LLP represents public and private held companies in the negotiation and structuring of joint ventures, mineral prospecting and exploration agreements, asset acquisitions and debt and equity financing transactions. Kari MacKay leads the mining and natural resource group from Toronto, specializing in corporate and securities law. Also recommended is Michael Partridge, who focuses on M&A, and private equity and venture capital transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team, led by Kari MacKay, is extraordinarily knowledgeable and practical. Their understanding of mining and the mining industry is deep and nuanced. They provide workable solutions both in a regulatory and transactional context.‘
Newmont Goldcorp Corporation
Hudbay Minerals Inc.
Gramercy Funds Management
Trinity Capital Partners Corporation
Coeur Mining, Inc.
Jilin Jien Nickel Industry Co.
Shandong Gold Mining Co Ltd.
- Advised senior creditor and stream holder on novation of traditional debt facilities and stream obligations, as well as on the restructuring of the intercreditor arrangements in connection with the sale of the project in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Advised Newmont Goldcorp on the creation of the world’s largest gold joint venture.
- Advised Coeur Mining on three-way transaction that resulted in the buy-back of a portion of the royalty on its Wharf mine and a concurrent secondary offering of common shares of Metalla it had been holding.
Gowling WLG is best known for its M&A and corporate finance work, where it has experience acting for clients in the mineral exploration and development sectors. The firm's international coverage attracts a variety of multinational clients in particular. The wider natural resources group is led by Calgary-based Stuart Olley, who is recognized for his financing and securities work. France Tenaille in Toronto leads the firm's Latin America and Cuba teams. Denis Silva left for DLA Piper (Canada) LLP in June 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Adventus Mining Corporation
BatteryOne Royalty Corp.
K92 Mining Inc.
Karmin Exploration Inc.
Largo Resources Ltd.
Metalla Royalty & Streaming Ltd.
Minera Alamos Inc.
Nicaragua Milling Company Limited
North Peak Resources Ltd. (formerly Interbit Ltd.)
Sabina Gold & Silver Corporation
Tempus Resources Limited
- Counsel to Karmin on its $70m acquisition by Nexa Resources S.A. by way of a plan of arrangement.
- Lead counsel to K92 Mining Inc., in connection with approximately $36m in financing in 2019.
- Counsel to Adventus in connection with approximately C$27m in financing in 2019.
McMillan LLP has broad expertise advising junior and mid-tier clients on corporate and financing transactions and project development mandates. The team regularly supports and works in conjunction with the firm's various other practice groups, including banking, corporate and securities, government relations, tax and litigation. The department is jointly chaired by Vancouver-based partners Bernhard Zinkhofer and Cory Kent.