Dispute resolution in Bulgaria
Boyanov & Co.’s dispute resolution practice specialises in commercial and civil litigation, with expertise in proceedings arising from insolvencies, employment law, energy, and IP infringements. Kina Chuturkova, who heads the practice, is a former judge of 21 years’ experience and is a qualified arbitrator, with a permanent seat at the Arbitration Court of the Bulgarian Industrial Association. Former partner Boyko Voynov now occupies a consulting role within the practice, continuing to advise clients in the banking sector on long-running and ongoing disputes. Partner Radoslav Alexandrov is experienced in employment and tax litigation, while Dr Nikolay Kolev advises on energy disputes. The firm counts Wizz Air, UBS, Philip Morris and Bayer among its clients.
‘The team handling our case was able capable to rapidly learn the intricacies of a pretty unusual business process and drafted a successful statement of claims on our behalf.’
‘The team were highly capable of understanding our business, paid attention to detail, and gave insightful advice.’
Eurobank Bulgaria AD
Ideal Standard – Vidima AD
Solvay Sodi AD
Behr-Hella Thermoconsult EOOD
International Investment Bank
The Coca-Cola Company
UniCredit Bulbank AD
- Representing the Bulgarian subsidiaries of the Italian GI Group in eight interrelated court cases between the company and its former manager.
- Representing Eurobank Bulgaria AD in a commercial case initiated by the insolvency trustee of Chavdar (in insolvency) a company which formerly produced buses.
- Representing International Investment Bank and its local subsidiary Old Tower 7 in a several civil legal actions and in bankruptcy proceedings.
Dimitrov, Petrov & Co’s ‘highly experienced, skillful and creative’ disputes resolution practice has a key strength in complex proceedings related to regulations, acting for major clients in the telecommunications and media, energy, banking and pharmaceutical sectors against administrative and regulatory bodies. It acts for individuals and private-sector clients in commercial disputes related to breaches of contract, non-payment of receivables, intellectual property matters, and shareholders disputes. Other core strengths of the firm are litigations related to public procurement proceedings and competition law cases, on behalf of both claimants and defendants. The ‘impeccable’ Metodi Baykushev leads the team, with the ‘exceptional’ Pencho Stanchev also valued by clients.
‘The DPC dispute resolution team is very dedicated and well prepared to meet the client’s needs. The lawyers are extremely diligent and possess in-depth knowledge in the field.’
‘We have been collaborating with Dimitrov, Petrov & Co for ten years and they never have disappointed us.’
‘A team that stands out with seamless service tending to perfection.’
‘We have been working with DPC for more than 10 years and through this whole time we have never been let down.’
RSSS Joint Venture (RIZZANI DE ECCHER S.p.A, SELI OVERSEAS S.p.A., SALCEF S.p.A, SALCEF GROUP S.p.A.)
Fox Networks Group Bulgaria
Boyana Project 1
- Representing RSSS joint venture, a large Italian construction firm, in appealing its disqualification from a public procurement procedure before the Bulgarian CPC.
- Successfully acted for Fox Networks in a series of five lawsuits alleging copyright infringement due to the use of musical works in television programmes.
- Appealing a €100,000 sanction imposed by the Bulgarian CPC on Tradenet Varna (a petrol station operator) before the Supreme Administrative Court.
Energy and environmental disputes are a core focus of the team at Dinova Rusev & Partners, having represented renewable energy producers, fossil fuel suppliers and clients in the extractive industries in actions against the state’s administrative bodies and nationalised power companies. Public procurement litigation is another area of expertise, with the firm having been chosen to act for Terna S.A. in its appeal of a contract worth €370m being awarded to another bidder. The team also litigates on behalf of individuals in employment disputes, for companies in commercial disputes, and in matters related to insolvencies and liquidations. Konstantin Stambolov leads the team, with Iliya Grozdanov (who heads the firm’s energy practice) playing a vital role in energy-related litigation.
‘The team is very customer-oriented and committed.’
‘The team is highly professional, bold, and competent.’
‘Iliya Grozdanov is very capable in negotiations skills and commercial law.’
AP Retail I EOOD (a Hystead Group company)
Kaliakra Wind Power (KWP)
3M Bulgaria EOOD
Bulgarian Development Fund
- Advising Terna S.A. on contesting the award of two tenders for refurbishing railway lines worth €284m and €87m to a competitor.
- Representing Kaliakra Wind Power in a €7m dispute regarding balancing charges against the National Electricity Company (NEK).
- Acting for the Bulgarian Development fund in litigation to recover allegedly stolen real estate, with the total value of the matter, including damages, worth €20m.
Djingov, Gouginski, Kyutchukov & Velichkov has one of the largest dispute resolution teams in the Bulgarian market, composed of a core of specialist litigators. The firm handles mandates in many types of commercial litigation, including local and international arbitration proceedings, and those arising from insolvency, intellectual property, tax, and industry-specific disputes. In 2019, the firm acted for clients in the financial services, retail, aviation and energy sectors, including acting for Gazprom in a €110m cross-border dispute against the Bulgarian Overgas group of companies. Angel Ganev, practice head, also regularly acts as an arbitrator in the ICC Court of Arbitration and is highly rated by clients.
‘DGKV has established an excellent standard in this field; they are responsive and provide superb legal advice.’
‘The quality of the lawyers in the team is reliably good.’
‘Strong team. Easy to work with and responsive.’
Huawei Technologies Bulgaria
Financial Supervision Commission
Swiss Latam AG
TD Bank Group
Trade Center Sliven
ABB Bulgaria EOOD
ACIBADEM CITY CLINIC EAD
AES-3C MARITZA EAST I EOOD
Andres Schneider Rechtsanwaelte
Aresgas AD (former Rila Gaz EAD)
Cargill Bulgaria EOOD
CEZ Elektro Bulgaria AD
CEZ Razpredelenie Bulgaria AD
ContourGlobal Maritsa East AD
DHOLLANDIA Bulgaria EOOD
Domain Menada Distribution ЕООD
ECCIP Holding B.V.
Eurobank Cyprus Ltd (former Eurobank EFG Cyprus Ltd.)
Fabrika za mlechni produkti AD
FAMILY HOME CONCEPT SRL
Flying Carpet Ltd.
Froneri Bulgaria EOOD
GHELARDI & ASSOCIATI
Global Resource Ltd
Glorient Investment Bulgaria
Golden Leaf Tobacco Company Inc.
Haos Invest EAD
HETA Luftfahrzeuge Leasing GmbH
Ital Food Industry
Karanovic & Nikolic
Kenneth Dante Murena
MAN Diesel & Turbo
Marie Brizard Wine & Spirits Distribution Bulgaria EOOD
Mechel Carbon AG
Mechel International Holdings GmbH
Menada Vineyards EOOD
Metro Cash and Carry Bulgaria
Nantong Yimian Textile Co. Ltd
NEPI Investment Management SRL
Oman Investment Fund
Philipex Trading Ltd
PUNTO FA, S.L. (MANGO)
Queensland Nickel Pty Ltd
Red Bull GmbH
Rheinland Elektro Maschinen Group d.o.o.
Sakar Vineyards EOOD
Sandvik Mining and Construction Materials Handling GmbH & Co KG
SC DEUTEK SA
SEEDS OIL GRAIN Ltd
Shanghai Chaori International Trading Co. Ltd
State General Reserve Fund of Oman
Sirio G and V OOD
Sumitomo Electric Bordnetze GmbH
Tengelmann Warenhandelsgesellschaft KG
Toto Costruzioni Generali S.p.a.
TRANE CR spol.sr.o
V2 Investment S.à r.l.
V i K Steneto EOOD
VIP Security Solutions EOOD
Viridian Offices OOD
Visteon Electronics Bulgaria EOOD
Vodosnabdyavane i kanalizatsiya Dobrich AD
- Defending V2 Investment S.à.r.l. in proceedings arising from a €125m claim made against it by the bankruptcy trustees of the defunct Corporate Commercial Bank.
- Advises BMW with regard to insolvency proceedings against a major Bulgarian supplier.
- Acting for Mundus Services AD in a dispute following its acquisition of A.S.S Bulgaria, concerning a breach of contract and payment arrangements.
Georgiev, Todorov & Co, described as ‘one of the best law firms in Bulgaria for dispute resolution’ acts for clients in high-value and complex disputes, with particular expertise in real estate and energy matters. Arno Mamasyan, who jointly leads the practice, has extensive arbitration experience, having acted for clients in several arbitration courts and sitting on the Arbitration Court for the Confederation of Employers and Industrialists. The firm acts for both state and private entities, and has experience in proceedings at the administrative, national and supreme courts in Bulgaria. Ivan Todorov, managing partner, jointly heads the practice. The ‘highly efficient’ Miglena Peneva specialises in real estate matters, and ‘detail-oriented’ Mariya Derelieva has expertise in energy disputes. Tsvetelina Dimitrova is another name to note.
Ivan Todorov; Arno Mamasyan
‘The firm has an exceptional depth of legal knowledge and familiarity with international arbitration and the requirements of transnational litigation.’
‘Every single member of the team holds exceptional knowledge and skills that provide high quality legal assistance.’
Ministry of Agriculture and Foods
Acibadem City Clinic Tokuda Hospital
City Clinic – Sveti Georgi Hospital Montana
City Clinic Cardiac Surgery Hospital Burgas
City Clinic University Hospital
Piraeus Bank Bulgaria
Bulgarian Telecommunication Company
BMF Port Burgas
MBAL Hospital Evropa
Balkam Group Ltd.
- Representing 47 owners of hydroelectric power stations on complex cases initiated under the State and Municipality Responsibility for Damages Act.
- Providing legal representation to Sliven Municipality in relation to eight cases brought against it by the State and third parties.
- Provided legal defence to BLD 33 in court proceedings related to a building permit issued in its favour for construction of a residential complex of buildings.
Kambourov & Partners is experienced in domestic and international arbitration proceedings, as well as multi-jurisdictional litigation, securitisation of claims and exequatur procedures. The firm acts for clients in contentious post-merger proceedings, litigation relating to public procurement proceedings, and high-profile white collar criminal defence. The team, led by Emil Emanuilov, offers alternative forms of dispute resolution and enforcement, such as debt restructuring, debt-equity swaps, and acquisitions. Kambourov & Partners acts in contentious matters for major clients including First Investment Bank, the Bulgarian Football Union, Strabag, and Wizz Air.
Cosmote Mobile Telecommunications S.A.
First Investment Bank
Bulgarian Football Union
Bulgarian Telecommunications Company
NURTS Digital/NURTS Bulgaria
Tabacos de Wilson
Federal State Unitary Enterprise of the Business Administration of the President of the Russian Federation (FSUE Goszagransobstvennost)
Wacoal Europe Sarl
V2 Investmeпt S.a.r.l
Bulgarian Development Bank
Wizz Air 3
Bulgarian Export Insurance Agency (BAEZ)
- Representing First investment Bank in two contentious proceedings – the first concerning alleged damages brought by an individual against the bank’s management, the second concerning multi-party litigation in the Southern District of New York with a potential value of $200m.
- Acting for the Bulgarian Football Union in a €5m contractual dispute with Investbank.
- Defending, alongside Kinstellar, the winning bidders for the Sofia Airport concession against litigation initiated by the losing bidders.
Tomov & Tomov
Tomov & Tomov is a boutique, partner-led firm specialising in high-value dispute resolution. Senior partner and practice head Lazar Tomov, known for his ‘excellent strategic judgement and powerful advocacy’, is a member of the ICSID Panels of Arbitrators and Conciliators and is a listed arbitrator with the Arbitration Court of the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce, having been appointed as a co-arbitrator and a presiding arbitrator in more than 125 cases. The firm acts primarily on behalf of the state and its national ministries, with a particular focus on energy disputes. The firm has achieved successful outcomes representing the Republic of Bulgaria in ICSID arbitrations with EVN Energy, Energo-Pro a.s., and ČEZ Group. Sylvia Steeva is another name to note.
‘Tomov &Tomov can be relied on to provide a sound legal advice on complex legal issues because they have deep knowledge and broad experience in Bulgarian and international law matters. They are a compact and well-organized team that is capable of dealing with huge records and complicated matters. In short, Tomov&Tomov is an outstanding law firm.’
Republic of Bulgaria through its Ministry of Finance
White & Case LLP
Arnold & Porter LLP
- Representing the Republic of Bulgaria in the ICSID arbitration case Energo-Pro a.s. v. Bulgaria.
- Acting for the Republic of Bulgaria in the ICSID arbitration case CEZ v. Bulgaria.
- Successfully represented the Republic of Bulgaria in the ICSID arbitration case State General Reserve Fund of Oman v. Bulgaria.
Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria’s disputes resolution team has experience acting for clients in matters relating to competition, public procurements, and regulatory and administrative disputes. The firm acts for private entities against regulatory agencies, as well as on behalf of municipal and governmental bodies. Another key strength of the firm is arbitration, with practice head Andrey Delchev also serving as an arbitrator in the International Court of Arbitration at the International Chamber of Commerce, Paris, and the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Severina Liubenova, known for her ‘outstanding litigating skills’, chiefly advises on competition and abuse of dominance proceedings. The firm has acted for Allianz, the American University in Bulgaria, and Lukoil Bulgaria JSC.
‘The Law firm delivers timely, exhaustive and competent legal advice discussed from different perspectives and observing the highest standards in the area which makes this practice unique.’
‘The firm has skilfully and diligently represented us in numerous court proceedings relating to a wide range of corporate and regulatory matters.’
‘All partners and associates we have relied upon have excelled at both consulting and litigating.’
‘Andrey Delchev’s long-term strategic thinking, genuine engagement with our goals and unmatched leadership skills set him apart from any other lawyer we have ever encountered.’
Allianz insurance group
American University in Bulgaria
Lukoil Bulgaria JSC
Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works
Road Infrastructure Agency
Sirma Solutions JSC
Trace Hold Group
- Representing Sirma Solutions, a software company, in a dispute with a licensee relating to the licensing agreement for proprietary software.
- Acting for Metropolitan JSC in disputes arising from alleged misuse of European funds in the construction of a metro railway.
- Representing Treger, which manages a large hotel in Sofia, in abuse of dominance proceedings brought against the local water and sanitation services suppler.
Atanassov & Ivanov Law Firm
Atanassov & Ivanov Law Firm acts for clients in the energy, food production, banking, and media sectors. Particular strengths include dealing with proceedings arising from insolvencies and disputes over intellectual property – an area in which joint practice head Stoyan Atanassov has considerable experience. The firm has a successful track record in acting for clients against the regulatory authorities and nationalised companies. Iliyan Atanassov, who jointly leads the practice, is active in energy disputes, while Maria Dimitrova, Mihaela Staynova, Nelly Zhikova, and Penka Blagova are all highly experienced litigators.
Iliyan Ivanov; Stoyan Atanassov
‘The law firm provides highly diversified litigation services. Experienced litigators who have more than 20 years of litigation experience on various types of litigation cases. They have the ability to quickly identify the priorities of the case, understand, foresee the proceedings and efficiently organize case strategies.’
Park Place Energy Corp.
Bulgarian maritime entertainment business
Bulgarian Bread Producer
- Successfully represented Park Place Energy Corporation in a high-value dispute with Overgas Inc., regarding an exploration licence.
- Acting for UniCredit Bulbank and UniCredit Leasing in proceedings to recover €10m of debt.
BWSP Ilieva Voutcheva & Co Law Firm
BWSP Ilieva Voutcheva & Co Law Firm's focuses are debt collection and tax. The disputes resolution team has experience in acting on behalf of creditors, domestic and international, to secure overdue receivables, claiming damages for late payment, enforcing insolvency and liquidation procedures, and negotiating financial settlements. Tamara Kovacheva, joint practice head, specialises in tax matters and is experienced in appealing tax audit decisions, owed VAT estimations, and tax credit deductions. Diliana Ilieva and Rossitsa Voutcheva, who also jointly lead the practice, focus on commercial litigation.
Rossitsa Voutcheva; Diliana Ilieva; Tamara Kovacheva
Uni Project Ltd.
EIN SHEMER RUBBER INDUSTRIES AGRICULTURAL COOPERATIVE SOCIETY LTD
Mood Construction Ltd.
- Acted for Amci Habitat, as creditor, concerning €22m of recievables in an insolvency dispute.
- Represented Uni Project in a dispute with the tax authorities concerning an incorrect €260,000 penalty.
- Advised Technotest, a car testing firm, in its claim for $600,000 from a debtor.
CMS acts for creditors in insolvency and liquidation procedures, cross-border commercial disputes, general debt recovery, and public procurement award litigation. Assen Georgiev, who jointly leads the practice alongside Antonia Kehayova, is a certified mediator with extensive experience in employment disputes, while Antonia Kehayova has expertise in IP litigation, civil, and commercial litigation. Senior associates Maria Lazarova and Nevena Radlova are key contacts - they represent clients in employment and insurance disputes, respectively. The firm acts for major clients, including Skoda, Burger King, and UniCredit Bulbank.
Assen Georgiev; Antonia Kehayova
‘Amazingly responsive, concise and targeted legal advice which is clear, unambiguous and of tremendous value.’
‘Assen Georgiev is very experienced and commercially-oriented. Proactive and pragmatic, he builds trust with clients and longstanding relationship. I would strongly recommend him for litigation.’
Hagleitner Hygiene International GmbH/ Hans Georg Hagleitner, Austria
MASON HAYES & CURRAN
ZAKARAS HOLDING, UAB
Burger King Europe GmbH
- Represented Skoda Transportation in a public procurement appeal before the CPC regarding the tender process to deliver a €25m tramway infrastructure project in Sofia.
- Acted for Syngenta in a multimillion-euro claim against a supplier.
- Advised UniCredit Bulbank in proceedings to recover €3.9m of recievables from an Italian company in liquidation.
The dispute resolution practice at Jordanov, Ignatov, Ivanov Law Firm has a particular speciality in energy disputes, having litigated on behalf the government through the Ministry of Energy and the state-owned Bulgarian Energy Holding company and the National Electricity Company. As well as advising the government in its €1.2bn ICC arbitration with Atomstroyexport, practice co-head Dimitar Ivanov led the team in defending the national energy companies in abuse of dominance and state aid cases before the European Competition Commission. In other work, the team is advising the Consumer’s Legal Aid association in a class-action suit, unusual for the Bulgarian market, against a large car dealership. Dimitar Ivanov and senior associate Svilen Babachev are active in labor disputes. Ivan Jordanov co-heads the practice.
Dimitar Ivanov; Ivan Jordanov
Ministry of Energy
National Electricity Company
Bulgarian Petroleum Company
Lindner Holding Bulgaria
Consumers Legal Aid Association (NGO)
Bulgarian Property Developments (part of Tavistock Group)
Pleven Retail Centre
National Palace of Culture
- Negotiated Final Settlement Agreement based on award rendered in the Belene Nuclear Power Plant ICC arbitration. Achieved substantial reduction in damages payable by the National Electricity Company.
- Representing one of the biggest suppliers of leather interior trim components to the luxury automotive sector who filed for insolvency.
- Represented the Bulgarian Petroleum Company in proceedings related to personal liability of a former manager.
Kinkin & Partners frequently acts on insolvency proceedings on behalf of both the creditor and the debtor; it continues to represent former depositors harmed by the collapse of the Corporate Commercial Bank in 2014, and has defended a client in insolvency proceedings brought by a partner due to alleged non-payment of receivables. Energy disputes (a specialism of Adriana Nacheva) are another strength of the practice, which has represented hydroelectric power producers against the regulatory authorities regarding the withdrawal of water-use permissions. The firm also advise on intellectual property, and unfair competition mandates. Vladimir Kinkin leads the team, while Silviya Spasova and Nikolay Radev are key contacts.
‘All individuals in the Kirkin & Partners Law Firm have an excellent knowledge of Bulgarian and European Law.’
‘They were very fast in responding to my questions and to my complicated demands and they were sending me continuous and detailed written briefings.’
Association of the Depositors Harmed by the Corporate Commercial Bank
Injectosond Bulgaria Ltd.
KALIAKRIA PROPERTY MANAGEMENT Ltd.
RGK Group LP
RVB Bulgaria Ltd.
The Bakers JSC
Tombou Bulgaria Ltd.
- Represented Kaliakra Property Management in €18m insolvency proceedings.
- Acted for RVB Bulgaria in proceedings arising from non-performance of a contract.
- Advised Belvi, a hydroelectric power producer, in appealing the revocation of a water-use permit.
Kinstellar handles high-value disputes in infrastructure and public procurement, energy, pharmaceuticals, and finance. Having supported MERIDIAM in its winning bid to operate Sofia Airport, the firm has since been defending the award in litigation proceedings brought by competitors. The Sofia team is jointly led by Antonia Mavrova and Mladen Minev, while Kiev-based Kostiantyn Likarchuk is the firm-wide head of the litigation practice.
Kostiantyn Likarchu; Antonia Mavrova; Mladen Minev
‘The lawyers in this practice impressed me with a depth of experience and ability to present a clear set of expectations regarding the outcome. They are able to hand a really complex disputes in a successful way due to their precisely selected and perfectly prepared and presented arguments.’
Garitage Invesment Management
CSL Behring GmbH
Dubovo Energy EOOD
Budeshte Agro EAD
P&S East Growth Luxembourg Sicar S.C.A.
- Representing CSL Behring GmbH in administrative litigation proceedings regarding penal provisions issed by the National Council on Prices and Reimbursement of Medicinal Products.
- Advising Garitage Investment Management in a dispute regarding €13.4m of recievables.
- Acting for Budeshte Agro and Dubovo Energy in proceedings against the Energy and Water Regulatory Commission regarding renewable electricity premiums.
The ‘goal-oriented’ disputes resolution team at Wolf Theiss is experienced in the enforcement of claims won through arbitration and litigation, especially in the energy and banking sectors. The team is particularly active acting for renewable energy producers against the state. Anna Rizova, who focuses on cross-border matters and Radoslav Mikov, an energy specialist, jointly lead the practice. Senior associate Oleg Temnikov is another name to note.
Anna Rizova; Radoslav Mikov
IMS Health Technology
Peek and Cloppenburg
Bulstrad Vienna Insurance Group
- Represented energy trader AXPO Bulgaria EAD in enforcement, and subsequently, in insolvency proceedings against Teheko Energy AD.
- Representing Rietumu Banka in proceedings for recognition and enforcement of an international arbitral award in Bulgaria.
- Advising and representing Generale Industrielle Electrique SARL, a leading Tunisian electrical equipment manufacturer, as claimant in proceedings in Bulgaria against one of its major Bulgarian suppliers.
The dispute resolution practice at Deloitte Legal Law Firm, led by Reneta Petkova and Zvezdelina Filova, is experienced in infrastructure and construction-related disputes, having acted on behalf of both municipalities and private contractors. The firm also advises banks in mortgage claim disputes and acts for clients in the aviation industry. Managing associate Miglena Micheva focuses on administrative and labour issues, while associate Nikolay Panayatov is experienced in the implementation of judgements made by foreign courts in Bulgaria.
Reneta Petkova, Zvezdelina Filova
Dyulgerova & Penkova Law Firm
Dyulgerova & Penkova Law Firm's dispute resolution practice is experienced in both litigation and arbitration. The 'extremely talented' practice head Victoria Penkova represents clients in civil, arbitral and administrative cases, with particular expertise in FIDIC contracts in construction matters. Diana Milkova focuses on tax issues and employment disputes, having acted for ExlService Bulgaria in proceedings concerning allegations of unfair dismissal, and for Heta Asset Resolution in appealing a substantial tax bill.
‘Dyulgerova & Penkova Law Firm have provided a supportive, structured process of settling our disputes.’
‘I am more than pleased with the law team; they were part of an international team who managed to win a complex arbitration case before the International Chamber of Commerce so as our claims were found reasonable.’
FCC Construccion S.A., Spain
Heta Asset Resolution Auto Bulgaria EOOD
ExlService Bulgaria EAD
Isolfin Bulgaria EAD
Berg Montana Fittings EAD
GK Bulgaria EAD, GK
Construction Bulgaria EAD
Koza World of Sports EAD
- Represented FCC Construccion S.A. in arbitration proceedings concerning an outstanding €14m payment.
Gugushev & Partners Law Office
The dispute resolution team at Gugushev & Partners Law Office is jointly headed up by Dafinka Stoycheva and Petko Angelov. Stoycheva is a registered arbiter, with experience in insurance and insolvency disputes. She also represents clients in disputes arising from alleged breaches of contract and non-payment of receivables. Angelov is an expert on tax and intellectual property rights; he notably acted for Konservinvest, a food manufacturer, in proceedings before the European Court regarding the geographical Indication status of a well-known Bulgarian dip. The firm has also represented state and municipal authorities in high-value disputes and has experience in public procurement litigation.
Dafinka Stoycheva, Petko Angelov
Remix Global JSC
Aksigorta Anonim Sirketi A.S.
General Agrohimikali Ltd.
Odrin 8 Ltd.
Agro Santino Ltd.
- Representing Konservinvest, a food producer, in a dispute before the EU Competition Commission regarding geographical Indication status of lyutenitsa, a type of dip.
- Acted for Korelana, a property developer, in parallel court proceedings to recover €4m of money owed.
- Acted for Remix Global in a dispute over a €4.5m insurance claim.
Murgova & Partners Attorneys at Law act in disputes arising from non-payment for goods and services, breaches of contract, tax disputes, and municipal zoning and land use permissions. The firm’s client base chiefly consists of small and medium sized businesses in disputes with contractors and business partners. Joint practice head Petya Murgova is the Chairperson of the Balkan Association for Dispute Resolution and an experienced mediator, while Alexander Moskov jointly leads the practice and project manages the firm’s litigation procedures. Silvana Dzharkova-Aleksandrova is a name to note.
‘With each passing year the team proves that we have made the right decision by choosing them as our most entrusted advisor in the field of Dispute resolution.’
‘Their theoretical skills are nicely combined with a business-oriented approach to every single aspect of the assigned work.’
Palms Mercure Casino
22 Vek ltd
- Represented 22 VEK, an industrial manufacturer, concerning an unpaid bill of €150,000.
- Acted for ET Gena Gospodinova, in a dispute with a construction company who failed to pay a €50,000 bill.
Penkov, Markov & Partners is active in representing clients from a range of sectors in high-value disputes with the Bulgarian administrative and regulatory authorities. The firm is particularly active in the energy sector, having acted for ČEZ in an appeal against the CPC for a blocked merger, and for numerous renewable energy producers in cases against the state regarding changes to energy tariffs. Real estate and construction is another of the firm’s strengths; the firm has represented a major property developer and cement manufacturer in appeals against administrative acts. Vladimir Penkov and Atanas Valov jointly head the practice. Yura Mincheva and Ralitsa Tihova are key contacts.
Vladimir Penkov; Atanas Valov
‘The firm has a very professional, customer-focused, result-orientated and pragmatic approach.’
‘The team is well organised, with extensive legal knowledge both of civil and administrative disputes procedure law, but also on arbitration rules of the big arbitration institutions in Bulgaria.’
‘My impression of the team is that they are strict, efficient and proactive, applying innovative approaches to leading litigation cases in area where there is no explicit legislation that could be directly applied.’
Arteks EngIneering AD
Red River Bulgaria EOOD
Red River Van Eck B.V.
PRO AGRO 2000
DNV GL SE (former Germanischer Lloyd SE)
Gravel and Sand Pits Bulgaria EAD
Arteks Zlaten Vek OOD
BA Glass Bulgaria AD
Zagorka AD, part of Heineken Group
ČEZ, a.s. and CEZ Bulgarian Investment B.V.
Coca Cola Hellenic Bottling Company Bulgaria AD (CCHBCBG)
Balkan Star Retail
Nedvizhimi Imoti Sofia SIPJV
Obzor Development Ltd
- Representing Haskovo Municipality in disputes with a construction company claiming €450,000 in extra costs, following renovation of schools and kindergartens.
- Representing EMCO in proceedings before the CPC, following a €46m capital increase.
- Acting for Arteks Zlaten Vek in a dispute with the National Construction Supevision Directorate in Sofia, regarding withdrawn planning permission for a skyscraper project in progress.
Popov & Partners
Popov & Partners’ dispute resolution practice, jointly headed by Sibina Eftenova, Eleonora Sergieva, and Desislava Tsvetkova, acts for clients in the media and telecommunications, real estate, food production and importation, and banking sectors. As well as private clients, the firm has a strong track record in acting on behalf of municipalities and regulatory authorities – the team represents utility operators in enforcement proceedings against debtors, and in proceedings related to claimed damages for a failure to supply. Key clients include UniCredit Bulbank, bTV media group, and the Bulgarian Council of Ministers.
Sibina Eftenova; Eleonora Sergieva; Desislava Tsvetkova
‘The office is extremely careful in detail and uses every detail to help resolve any conflict in our favor.’
Council of Ministers of Bulgaria
Aiko, part of XXLGroup
Lycos Trnava Malt House
BTV Media Group
Executive Agency Maritime Administration
- Acting for A1 Bulgaria on an ongoing basis to assist with the collection of overdue recievables amounting to €15m.
- Representing the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria in a €7m dispute with Microsoft.
Stankov, Todorov, Hinkov & Spasov is a boutique firm which acts in disputes across a wide range of sectors. Joint practice head Mihail Stankov has experience in commercial, insurance, tax, and transport matters, while Hristo Hinkov, who also leads the practice, is a registered mediator and is active in commercial litigation. The firm has a successful track record in representing clients in disputes with Bulgarian and EU regulatory and administrative bodies, as well as achieving positive outcomes in inter-company disputes regarding breach of contract. Clients include Besta Med, the Slovenian Embassy, and PAN Chemicals.
Mihail Stankov; Hristo Hinkov
Bester Generacion Bulgaria Ltd.
Cipy Corporation Ltd.
Besta Med Ltd.
Baka 357 Ltd.
Fish Invest Ltd.
Max Covering Ltd.
The Slovenian Embassy in Sofia
MD Build Ltd.
PAN Chemicals Ltd.
Medis Pharma Bulgaria Ltd.
- Acted for Snow Holiday in a dispute with the state over restitution of real estate.
- Acted for Intertek International in international arbitration proceedings concerning the breach of a construction contract.
- Represented Fish Invest, a major fish farming company, in proceedings against the Executive Agency of Fisheries and Aquaculture, who applied an allegedly incorrect financial correction on the firm.
Tocheva & Mandazhieva Law Office
The disputes resolution team at Tocheva & Mandazhieva Law Office has experience in the real estate and energy sectors, with a key focus on representing renewable energy producers against administrative and regulatory authorities. The firm also handles appeals regarding zoning plan decisions on behalf of property developers. A core focus of the firm is mediation and negotiating settlements; four lawyers are also qualified mediators. Tanya Tocheva and Encho Dinev lead the team, which notably advised on a €35m cryptocurrency dispute.
Tanya Tocheva; Encho Dinev
Samsung C&T Corporation
Lufthansa Technik Sofia OOD
Hrabrovo Wind 2 OOD
Razlog Solar EOOD
Razlog Solar 2 EOOD
PG Holding EOOD
- Represented SPV’s of Samsung in a €400,000 claim against ČEZ concerning reimbursement of grid access prices.
- Acted for Erol Ahmed, a private citizen, in proceeding concerning the rights to sell cryptocurrencies worth €35m.
- Acted for PG Holding in appealing the Detailed Zoning Plan for an expensive area of Sofia, in which PG Holding owns property at risk of devaluation due to the plan.
Tsvetkova Bebov Komarevski’s dispute resolution practice handles disputes between companies relating to insurance, insolvencies, intellectual property, pricing issues and damages arising from breaches of contract. Ilya Komarevski has experience in arbitration as well as litigation and heads the practice, while senior associate Victoria Tzonkova specialises in insolvency proceedings. The team is highly experienced in disputes relating to the pharmaceutical industry, counting Takeda, Promedica 24 Care, and AstraZeneca among its clients. The firm also represents clients such as Lidl, ČEZ, and Société Générale.
‘TBK is one of our most reliable partners. Unlike a number of other law firms, including some of the biggest ones in Bulgaria, TBK is really a client oriented firm whose team always aims to provide practical and tailored advice.’
‘The level of professionalism is always remarkable.’
Express Life Insurances
Telerik / Progress Software
DB Cargo Bulgaria
Société Générale, Paris
- Representing Express Life Insurances (formerly SoGeLife) in a complex €50,000 life insurance dispute.
- Acting for an Italian jewellery producer in proceedings against the state regarding the customs seizure of €600,000 of goods.
- Representing Société Générale in ongoing complex insolvency proceedings as a creditor to the now-defunct Corporate Commercial Bank.