Regularly instructed by the world’s leading financial institutions, Conyers has extensive experience across a range of complex banking, finance and capital market transactions in the BVI. The highly regarded Anton Goldstein handles major capital markets and financing transactions, including some of the region’s preeminent IPO deals and high-value bond issuances. Another key member of the team is Audrey Robertson, who, alongside her capital markets and public offering workload, is regularly instructed on refinancing and asset financing matters relating to commercial and private aircraft. Corporate practice head Robert Briant assists with a variety of financing issues, including debt restructuring mandates. At the associate level, Rachael Pape and Marcus Hallan are key names to note.
Banking, finance and capital markets in British Virgin Islands
Weatherfold International Ltd.
Jinpan International Limited
AquaVenture Holdings Limited
Establishment Lab Holdings
Digital Landscape Group
- Advised Weatherford International on its reduction of $6.2bn of outstanding funded debt and securing $2.6bn in exit financing facilities.
- Acted as special BVI counsel to Jinpan in connection with the listing of the shares of Hainan Jinpan Smart Technology Co. Ltd, a corporation organised under the laws of the People’s Republic of China, on the Shenzhen Stock Market.
- Advised J.P. Morgan on the issuance of $500m senior secured notes by Del Monte Foods, Inc., a leading producer, distributor and marketer of premium quality branded, plant-based food products.
Harneys attracts praise for its 'excellent technical knowledge and exceptional attitude to clients', and assists with a wide variety of complex finance deals in the banking, finance and capital markets space, including syndicated lending, margin financing, asset and real estate financing deals, and structured finance work. A key name to note is BVI managing partner Tanya Cassie-Parker, who regularly advises leading financial institutions as well as high-profile international property and fashion conglomerates Michelle Frett-Mathavious has particular expertise in capital markets work, while Peter Tarn advises major global financial institutions and sits on the board of BVI Finance. Philip Graham leads the BVI transactional team and the firm's global investment funds and regulatory groups. Ellie Crespi left the firm in early 2021.
‘Very strong team of professionals with excellent technical knowledge and exceptional attitude to clients. Providing highest level of service, exceptionally well at working under pressure, always meeting their deadlines and never letting clients down. Always consistent in terms of approaches within the firm. Using very good quality document templates.’
‘Tanya Cassie-Parker (Managing Partner) is our primary point of contact. She is very responsive and has always demonstrated the highest level of expertise. Very accommodative and always has her clients’ best interests at heart.’
White & Case
Allen & Overy
Greenland Global Investment Limited
- Advised Constellation and the majority bondholders on the BVI issues in relation to the $1.7bn global debt restructuring of its Brazilian oil and gas services group.
- Acted as BVI counsel to Greenland Global Investment Limited in connection with the establishment of its $8bn medium-term note programme.
- Acting as BVI counsel to the issuer, CP Foods Capital Limited, a newly incorporated BVI subsidiary of Charoen Pokphand Foods Public Company Limited, on the issuance of exchangeable bonds.
Acting on the borrower and lender side of transactions, the team at Maples Group handles a variety of complex matters relating to asset and project finance work, general banking issues, equity and debt capital markets work, and private equity mandates. The group is especially active in financing transactions involving corporate and funds clients, secured financing issues, real estate finance work, and debt restructurings and reorganisations. Restructuring specialist Christopher Newton recently advised the senior lenders to the Constellation Group - HSBC and Citibank - on the financing and restructuring aspects of loan facilities worth over $1.5bn. The local team in the BVI is led by Richard May, who has a particular focus on the natural resources sector. Other names to note include Ruairi Bourke and of counsel Guy Williamson.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Advised HSBC and Citibank as senior lenders to the Constellation Group on corporate, finance and restructuring aspects of loan facilities of over $1.5bn, including supporting the landmark decision in the BVI of the first successful appointment of provisional liquidators.
- Advised a group of lenders led by Citibank on the BVI aspects of a $1.75bn debtor-in-possession financing.
- Advised Gerdau Trade Inc and GTL Trade Finance Inc on an $800m loan facility.
Highly regarded for its capital markets capabilities, the 'extremely efficient' team at Ogier is also instructed on a variety of complex financial reorganisations and reconstructions. Led by Ray Wearmouth, the team advised Constellation Overseas on its $1.5bn financial reorganisation and court-approved creditor scheme of arrangement. Wearmouth also acts as a senior strategic adviser to the Government of the British Virgin Islands on financial services issues. Michael Killourhy specialises in equity capital markets matters, while managing associate Rebecca Clark focuses on restructuring matters. Christian Burns-Di Lauro, who divides his time between the BVI and Jersey, assists a wide range of financial institutions and companies with banking and finance deals, and senior associate David Mathews has particular expertise in fintech and digital asset mandates.
‘I experienced the Ogier Team as extremely efficient with a superb knowledge base and acts as a great partner in difficult situations.’
‘Very responsive group and always well-coordinated among the practice and the firm, including across the various jurisdictions in which they work.’
Constellation Oil Services Holding
DNB Bank ASA
International Natural Resources Group
East Stone Acquisition Corp.
HSBC Bank plc
- Advised Constellation Overseas on its $1.5bn financial reorganisation and court-approved creditor scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Norwegian Bank DNB Bank on the provision of a new $450m facility to rig operator Borr Drilling.
- Advised East Stone Acquisition on its upsized $138m Initial Public Offering on NASDAQ.
Following Patrick Ormond’s relocation to the firm's London office, Matthew Cowman is now managing partner at Walkers BVI, where he heads up the finance, corporate and funds group. Senior counsel Omonike Robinson-Pickering advises clients on complex investment fund financings and refinancings, asset finance deals, and debt and equity finance work. Frequently acting on the lender side of banking transactions, the team also has experience acting on subordinated and syndicated lending mandates, leverage and acquisition financings, and project and real estate finance work, and also handles derivatives and structured products.
Other key lawyers:
‘An outstanding team with a broad knowledge on relevant transactions; timely, pragmatic, reliable, efficient and if necessary innovative advice also for complex situations. The entire team is very accommodating and service oriented. They are very reliable and stick to the agreed budget. I consider Walkers BVI as being more service oriented than competitors. In particular, they are willing to accommodate to specific needs and are very responsive.’
‘We enjoy working with the entire team. In particular, Omonike Robinson-Pickering is a pleasure to work with and always willing to go the extra mile.’
‘Walkers are now my go-to firm in the BVI. They cover practically every aspect of banking and finance law. And are extremely responsive.’
China Minsheng Banking Corp
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
NCL Corporation Ltd
Lai Fung Holdings Limited
- Advised Uber on the $3.1bn acquisition of Careem.
- Provided BVI legal advice to longstanding client TELUS in relation to the increase of its secured revolving credit facility provided by leading financial institutions including the Bank of Nova Scotia.
- Acted as BVI counsel to NCLC, a subsidiary of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd, as it closed its private offering of $675m aggregate principal amount of senior secured notes.
At Appleby, the corporate practice group, which is led by BVI managing partner Jeffrey Kirk, has a strong track record in advising clients in the aviation and shipping sectors on international asset finance transactions. The group also has expertise in secured syndicated facilities, debt restructurings, capital markets mandates and project finance work. Andrew Jowett focuses on financing transactions in the mining, oil and gas, energy and natural resources sectors, while David Clark specialises in derivatives work. Another name to note is senior associate Rebecca Jack, who regularly assists with complex debt capital markets matters and is also adept at advising fintech clients on novel fundraisers.
Nissan Motor Co Ltd.
Cathexis Holdings LP
First Quantum Minerals Ltd.
Del Monte Group
Terraco Gold Corp.
Elemental Royalties Limited
Goldman Sachs Specialty Lending Group, L.P.
HSBC Bank Egypt
Credence Rock (BVI) Limited
Brookfield Asset Management Inc.
- Acting as BVI counsel to AB InBev, on preparing its Asian business for listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, including offer documents and a pre-listing internal restructuring.
- Acted as BVI counsel to First Quantum Minerals Ltd.(FQM) in connection with its Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of senior notes.
- Acted as BVI counsel for Deutsche Bank and Wells Fargo and their affiliates in relation to a $555m senior secured asset-based revolving credit facility granted in favour of Weatherford International Ltd.
Promoted to managing partner of the BVI office in 2020, Ian Montgomery heads up Collas Crill’s corporate, finance and funds group, which advises financial institutions, listed companies, individuals and funds on an assortment of finance matters. While Montgomery specialises in debt and equity financings, public listings and security arrangements, the firm has also seen an increase in real estate financing transactions. Christian Hidalgo, who regularly works alongside Montgomery, was promoted to senior associate in 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Aleman, Cordero, Galindo & Lee
ATU General Trust
Baker & McKenzie
Bank of America
BC Business Centrum
Dajani & Associates
Deep Green Metal Inc
Drew and Napier LLC
Eversheds Sutherland (Dubai and Amman)
Extell Capital Partners LLC
Grant Hermann Shwartz & Klinger LLP
Hauteville Trust (BVI) Limited
Investec Group Limited
Katsky Korins LLP
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
Lightstone Enterprises Limited
M1 Real Estate
Mishcon de Reya LLP
Morgan & Morgan (Panama)
Norton Rose LLP
Paicolex Trust Management AG
Sandspring Resources Ltd
Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton
Smythe & Greenwood
The Mauritius Commercial Bank
The Northern Trust Company
Trowers & Hamlins LLP
Wenger & Vieli AG
White and Case (New York)
Withers LLP (&Withers Bergman LLP)
Zhong Lun Law Firm
- Advised Extell Limited on a circa $500m financing in connection with “One Manhattan Square”, New York.
- Advised TSX and ASX listed RTG Mining Inc on a private placement.
- Advised Gold X Mining Corp and GoldHeart Investment Holdings Ltd (a BVI entity) on a convertible secured debenture transaction involving Wheaton Precious Metals International Ltd, Gran Colombia Gold Corp. and MLD Core Fund.
Led by BVI managing partner Clinton Hempel, who divides his time between South Africa and the BVI, Carey Olsen has considerable expertise in real estate finance transactions. Leveraging expertise from the firm’s Jersey and Guernsey offices, the group is particularly active in transactions with UK origins. The practice is also notably active in refinancing mandates. Other key practitioners in the team include counsel Sharon Mungall, who handles start-up financing matters in emerging markets, and fellow counsel Elizabeth Killeen.
‘Practical, responsive and considered.’
‘Elizabeth Killeen – leading thinker but very pragmatic and helpful. Very organised.’
‘Elizabeth Killeen is highly proactive and reacts quickly to client deadlines. She looks ahead to see potential issues and steers around them.’
‘Liz Killeen is very dynamic and commercial. She is incredibly responsive and thinks outside the box to help resolve any issues.’
‘The practice has dedicated team members who understand the client and their specific process. The quality of their work stands out, including the extensive knowledge and integrity.’
‘The team members show astounding dedication to provide the client with quality feedback, with attention to details, integrity, quality, no bias, and even sometimes going beyond the scope to provide useful feedback by highlighting noteworthy items.’
‘I have worked with Sharon Mungall (Counsel) who has assisted in various banking matters. She is responsive, knowledgeable and delivers great service.’
Utilising its strong relationships with leading US and UK firms, Mourant advises on a broad range of finance-related matters, including acquisition and leveraged financings, asset finance work, derivatives issues, structured products, and insolvencies. The team has recently been particularly active in real estate transactions involving high-value residential properties in the UK. The key name to note is Rachael McDonald, who is practice head and BVI office managing partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘I think the uniqueness is simply in the fact that it brings the well established professional London standard level of services in this jurisdiction. It is exactly what any in-house peer would be looking for.’
‘Obviously, Rachael McDonald is excellent. We have also had an excellent experience with Saraid Taylor – always to the point, practical and a shrewd business person.’
Banco Latinoamericano de Comercio Exterior, S.A
- Advising Banco Latinoamericano de Comercio Exterior, S.A on its provision of a syndicated loan facility to the Favorita group.