Banking, finance and capital markets in British Virgin Islands
Conyers is consistently involved in large and complex banking, finance and capital market transactions in the BVI. Robert Briant heads the corporate department and advises on a broad range of financing work, and Anton Goldstein regularly handles high-profile deals; Goldstein recently led advice to Gold Fields on several high-value bond issuances. Also key to the group is counsel Audrey Robertson, who assists with public offerings and multi-jurisdictional financing transactions, and has particular expertise in commercial and private aircraft financings. Rachael Pape and Marcus Hallan are experienced associates.
LVMH Moët Hennessy – Louis Vuitton
Intercontinental Hotels Group
Establishment Labs Holdings
Jefferies Financial Group
- Acted for Establishment Labs Holdings on the closing of its IPO.
- Advised Wilmington Savings Fund Society on lending provided in a distressed situation.
- Assisted Bank of Ireland with a loan to BOD Vehicle Support Services.
Harneys is singled out for its advice on complex finance deals including syndicated lending, asset and real estate financing, restructuring and structured finance work. Tanya Cassie-Parker is transactional co-head, Michelle Frett-Mathavious' expertise ranges from property finance matters to asset and project financings, and Peter Tarn works with major global financial institutions. Banking, finance and debt capital markets specialist Ellie Crespi relocated to the BVI from the firm's Hong Kong office; she recently advised Greenland Global Investment on the establishment of its $5bn medium term note programme. Former global banking and finance head Colin Riegels, who advises on credit and security issues, is now a consultant.
Greenland Global Investment
Shandong Gold Financial Holdings Group (HongKong)
- Advised Shandong Gold Financial Holdings Group (HongKong) on a captioned bonds issuance.
- Advised Lv’an Chuangxing as issuer on its recent offering of $200m bonds.
Maples Group's team is 'very professional and responsive'; it handles a variety of complex matters including asset, real estate and project financings, general banking and secured lending work, and equity and debt capital markets mandates. In a recent highlight, the practice acted for Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holding Company in a series A financing. Regularly advising issuers and banks, Richard May's practice is focused on North America and Europe, and Christopher Newton has particular expertise in banking, finance and restructuring transactions. Ruairi Bourke is also highly rated and Guy Williamson was promoted to of counsel.
‘Excellent and experienced partners leading the team‘.
‘Christopher Newton stands out – he has significant experience, exceptional knowledge and client handling skills‘.
‘Ruairi Bourke responds very professionally and quickly to all queries‘.
- Advised a group of lenders on a $750m loan to finance a bauxite mining project in the Republic of Guinea.
Ogier attracts praise for its expertise in banking and finance matters and is also recognised for its equity capital markets (ECM) work and assistance with complex financial reorganisations and reconstructions. Ray Wearmouth handles complex and high-profile transactions, and Michael Killourhy is particularly noted for ECM work. At managing associate level, Rebecca Clark regularly advises on fund, property and asset financings, and Christian Burns-Di Lauro, who divides his time between the BVI and Jersey, assists a wide range of financial institutions and companies with banking and finance deals.
Ray Wearmouth; Michael Killourhy
Colliers International Group
Constellation Oil Services Holding
Greenland Acquisition Corporation
Longevity Acquisition Corporation
Seven Energy International
Toys R Us
Barclays Bank (New York)
- Advised Colliers International Group as borrower on a restated facility involving multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised Tenzing Acquisition Corporation, a BVI company, on its IPO and simultaneous private placement of shares and warrants.
- Advised Russian shipping and logistics company, FESCO, on the restructuring of its $875m note programme.
Following former BVI managing partner David Collins' relocation to the firm's Cayman Islands office, Patrick Ormond is now managing partner at Walkers BVI, where he heads up the BVI finance, corporate and funds group. Ormond's finance experience includes advising lenders and borrowers on real estate, construction, project, structured and acquisition finance matters alongside general corporate financing expertise. At senior counsel level, Omonike Robinson-Pickering is experienced in asset finance deals, debt and equity finance work, and investment fund financings; and Lisa Penn-Lettsome leads the BVI office's regulatory department. Matthew Cowman rejoined the firm in 2019 from Australian Unity.
‘Highly attuned to clients’ needs, to the extent that the lawyers will raise issues for clients to address before they have thought of them‘.
‘Patrick Ormond is excellent – he is knowledgeable and calm under pressure‘.
China Minsheng Banking Corporation
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Lai Fung Holdings
- Advised Hong Kong-based Alberton Acquisition on its IPO.
- Advised Taghleef Industries on the financing of its acquisition of Biofilm.
Appleby fields specialists in secured syndicated facilities, asset and project finance (including shipping and aircraft financing), and derivatives work. BVI managing partner Jeffrey Kirk is also the corporate department head and handles capital markets and banking and finance issues, and Andrew Jowett is particularly focused on clients in the energy and natural resources, mining, and oil and gas sectors. Robert Varley, former funds head at Guernsey firm Babbé LLP, joined the BVI office, while David Clark relocated to the firm's Bermuda office.
- Advised a global bank on a high-value refinancing.
- Acted for a multinational investment bank on the restructuring of a loan facility agreement.
- Advised a mining and metals company on a corporate bank facility that was provided by three banks.
Mourant' areas of specialisation encompass real estate finance, acquisition finance, asset finance, structured finance, leveraged finance and regulatory advisory matters. BVI managing partner Rachael McDonald heads up the BVI finance and corporate department, while Saraid Taylor is a key senior associate.
Other key lawyers:
Credit Suisse (London Branch)
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (London Branch)
Lloyds Banking Group
RBC Real Estate Capital Partners
- Advised RBC Real Estate Capital Partners on the financing of Get Living Group’s acquisition and development of Middlewood Locks in Manchester, UK.
Carey Olsen's BVI office is notably focused on real estate finance transactions, particularly relating to the UK market. The team is also recognised for its work advising BVI-registered clients listed on the London Stock Exchange and other exchanges. Clinton Hempel, who divides his time between South Africa and the BVI, is the managing partner of the BVI practice group. Elizabeth Killeen and Sharon Mungall are highly regarded counsels.
Collas Crill launched its BVI office in 2017, following a merger with local firm Farara Kerins. In 2018, the firm appointed Ian Montgomery, who was previously located in its Jersey office, as head of corporate, finance and funds in the BVI; Montgomery's areas of expertise include debt and equity financing and public listings. Further growth saw senior associate Richard Doyle and associate Christian Hidalgo join from Byrne Wallace and Carey Olsen's Jersey office, respectively.
‘Working with Collas Crill puts our mind at ease. They are always available to answer questions and are extremely accommodating and flexible in reaching consensus with our various counterparties.‘
‘Ian Montgomery and Richard Doyle are both always available and go above and beyond to help us meet deadlines.‘
Drew and Napier
M1 Real Estate
The Northern Trust Company
- Advised Extell Development Company on a $530m loan package to facilitate the purchase of Brooklyn Point in New York.
- Acted for Trans Atlantic Shipmanagement, SMT Galaxy Investment and Cymbidium Shipping on a high-value vessel finance agreement with a Canadian bank.
- Acted for Zodiac Finance on the refinancing obtained by three BVI entities.