With 'excellent service and availability combined with solid technical knowledge', the labour and employment department at Rossi, Maffini, Milman & Grando Advogados is popular with large companies operating in the construction, healthcare and sports sectors, among others. The firm demonstrates particular strength in contentious labour law issues, and also provides a broad range of advisory services, covering remuneration policies, complex employment contracts and due diligence in the context of acquisitions, incorporations and demergers. Practice head Benoni Canellas Rossi and Mônica Canellas Rossi both specialise in labour law and have decades of combined experience in this field.
Labour in Brazil
Benoni Canellas Rossi
‘Specialty in the labour area, high technical knowledge and personalised service that is continuously available.’
‘Attentive, innovative with theses and assertive and effective search for results, they demonstrate determination in the search and defence of the company. Firm composed of extremely prepared professionals acting in a combative and very ethical manner.’
‘Element that distinguishes it: quick feedback on issues. Mônica Canellas Rossi stands out for her technical skills and commitment.’
‘Excellent service and availability combined with solid technical knowledge.’
‘RRMG stands out for its diversity and high integration between its various areas in order to provide comprehensive advice on labour law. I would like to highlight the assistance provided by the partner Benoni Rossi, a skilled negotiator, with extensive experience in the Regional Labour Court of the 4th Region, and a specialist in collective labour law.’
Banco Regional de Desevolvimento do Extremo Sul (BRDE)
Lear do Brasil Indústria e Comércio de Interiores Automotivo
Saint Gobain do Brasil Prod Inds e Para Construção
Xerox Comércio e Indústria
Grêmio Football Porto Alegrense
Lifemed Industrial de Equipamentos e Artigos Medicos e Hospitalares
Associação Dos Juízes Do Rio Grande Do Sul (Ajuris)
Spe Holding Beira Rio – Brio
Arauco Indústria De Painéis
Hospital Nossa Senhora da Conceição
Cristália Produtos Químicos Farmacêuticos
Lamb Construções e Engenharia
- Represented BRDE in an action in which the claimant claimed to be dismissed from his activities as he wanted to exercise his functions in a labour union.
- Acting for Hospital Nossa Senhora da Conceição in a class action filed by the Health Service Establishment Employees’ Union of Rio Grande do Sul in relation to the dismissal of fifty doctors.
- Represented Amvian Indústria e Comércio De Peças Automotivas in a lawsuit filed by a former employee who claimed unfair dismissal.
With comprehensive knowledge of labour law, Souto Correa Advogados undertakes advisory and contentious matters on behalf of domestic and multinational clients from a variety of sectors. The team has a strong track record in preventing high-stakes lawsuits, and regularly acts in collective negotiations and agreements with trade unions. The labour group is overseen by Porto Alegre-based Paulo Roberto Souto, whose areas of focus include mass dismissals and administrative investigations, and Patricia Alves and Joel Gallo, who are based in São Paulo. Eduardo Mascarenhas is a key contact in Porto Alegre for companies in the technology, healthcare, agribusiness and transport sectors; he excels in labour disputes.
Paulo Souto; Joel Gallo; Patrícia Alves
Honeywell do Brasil
Semeato Indústria e Comércio
Santo Antonio Energia
Abbott Laboratórios do Brasil
Santos Brasil Participações
Vogel Soluções em Telecomunicações e Informática
WMB Supermercados do Brasil
MAN Energy Solutions Brasil Equipamentos e Serviços
Airbnb Serviços Digitais
Launch Pad Tecnologia e Serviços
Grupo CCRR – Colacril
Aeromot – Aeronaves e Motores
Associação Escola Panamericana de Porto Alegre
CITIC Construções do Brasil
- Assisting Dell for over eight years in strategic labour claims, acting in the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements with unions.
- Acted for China Construction Bank – Banco Multiplo in a labour claim filed by a high-level employee claiming for overtime, profit share differences, wages differences and break time payment.
- Hired by Honeywell do Brasil to assist with the closure of a unit in the state of Rio Grande do Sul, preparing all the necessary evidence for the possible labour claims that could arise.
CMT – Carvalho, Machado e Timm Advogados
With a strong track record in both individual and collective claims, the labour law team at CMT – Carvalho, Machado e Timm Advogados is typically retained by clients active in the agribusiness, construction, pharmaceutical, banking, technology and steel industries. Recent mandates for the group included advising on collective bargaining agreements, transfer of employees, negotiations with trade unions and litigation. Natalia Schnaider Serro Mies, who is experienced in class actions, hiring and dismissal processes as well as business restructuring, leads the Porto Alegre-based department. Non-contentious labour matters and litigation are some of Michele Bertoletti's key areas of practice.
Natalia Schnaider Serro Mies
John Deere Brasil
PPG Industrial do Brasil
Parker Hannifin Indústria e Comércio
Indigo – Administradora Geral de Estacionamentos
CMPC – Celulose Riograndense
- Performed an extensive study on behalf of Dimed on national and international legislation concerning personal protection equipment for essential workers.
- Defended Mundial in a lawsuit brought by a former senior employee claiming compensation for moral damages.
- Assisted PPG in devising a plan that would allow it to preserve jobs during the pandemic, through the reduction of work hours and salaries.
Scalzilli Althaus Advogados
Standing out for its in-depth knowledge of the real estate sector, the labour and human resources management team at Scalzilli Althaus Advogados assists clients with the defence of individual and collective claims and is well equipped to handle negotiations with trade unions. Department head Marcelo Nedel Scalzilli acts for clients in the real estate, agribusiness, and food and beverage sectors in relation to advisory and contentious matters. Other names to note in the team include Kerlen Costa, who is seasoned in the international transfer of workers and collective bargaining, and social security law specialist Greice Feier.
Marcelo Nedel Scalzilli
Goldsztein Cyrela Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Tlantic Sistemas de Informação
Pronto Ducatio Consultoria de Imóveis
LPS Sul Consultoria de Imóveis
Brasil Broker Participações
- Defended Goldsztein Cyrela Empreendimentos Imobiliários in a labour claim filed by a real estate broker who worked for 10 years in the company.
- Acted for Tlantic Sistemas de Informação in a labour claim in which the plaintiff claimed recognition of an employment bond.
- Represented LPS Sul Consultoria de Imóveis in a claim filed by a real estate broker against a large real estate and construction company demanding recognition of an employment bond.
Silveiro Advogados' labour team has extensive experience in both non-contentious and contentious matters, where it acts for a broad range of clients operating across the retail, food and beverage, engineering, steel and telecoms sectors, among others. Collective claims and trade union negotiations are key areas of strength for the department, which is overseen by Guilherme Guimarães. Larissa Salgado is also active in the practice and focuses on individual and collective labour claims.
E Bebidas Fruki
Lins Ferrão Artigos do Vestuário
Metasa Indústria Metalúrgica
CMPC – Celulose Riograndense
IMDEPA Rolamentos Importação e Comércio
HT Micron Semicondutores
- Acting for Gerdau in a class action filed by the Metalworkers Union of the city of São Jerônimo, seeking payment for an extra 30% raise for work done after 5am.
- Represents TMSA in a legal action filed by SENGE (the Union of Engineers of the State of Rio Grande do Sul).
- Acting for Fortbrás Auto Peças in a public civil action filed by the General Attorney’s Office Labour Department (MPT- Ministério Público do Trabalho) against the company, claiming non-compliance with regulations for breaks.
Jointly led by Roberto Pierri Bersch and Maurício de Carvalho Góes, TozziniFreire Advogados’ labour team in Porto Alegre is engaged by companies from a range of sectors, such as retail, energy, steel and pharmaceutical. Recent work has involved assisting clients with labour issues arising from the Covid-19 pandemic, and the team also continues to advise on the termination of contracts, compensation policies, compliance investigations and unions negotiations. Both practice heads possess a wealth of experience in labour litigation.
Roberto Pierri Bersch; Maurício de Carvalho Góes
‘The entire team is very attentive and very prepared to meet all the demands and opinions requested.’
‘Our experience with the partner who works with us in Porto Alegre, Roberto Bersch, is extremely positive. He is technically excellent, a great negotiator, and incredibly charismatic. He has been supporting the company on a difficult journey and is always present. He is dedicated, engaged, present and very polite.’
‘The practice has extensive knowledge of legal issues at the national level, helping clients to also act in the preventive sphere of labour issues. We have a very good relationship with the team that assists us, especially Roberto Bersh. He is always available to assist us, even in administrative matters.’
‘Personalised service from partners who offer highly efficient solutions for strategic cases.’
‘Roberto Pierri Bersch is a distinguished professional. He has a broad and deep knowledge of all matters.’
Foxter Cia Imobiliária
Prometeon Tyre Group
Radio e TV Bandeirantes
The labour and immigration team at Veirano Advogados has extensive experience in non-contentious employment matters, as well as judicial and administrative litigation. Clients from a multitude of industries regularly turn to the team for advice on compensation plans, dismissals, collective claims and negotiations with trade unions. Luiz Antonio dos Santos Jr and Luiz Afrânio Araujo jointly lead the department, which is also equipped to advise on the labour aspects of corporate restructurings and M&A transactions.
Luiz Antonio dos Santos Jr; Luiz Afrânio Araújo
‘The Veirano Advogados office is distinguished by its high technical capacity and deep legal knowledge. The personalised service for each type of specific case is, without a doubt, what sets it apart.’
‘Veirano’s labour practice in Porto Alegre is one of the most capable and sophisticated in the country. The team is well positioned to provide effective and commercially viable legal advice and representation in all kinds of labour matters, from ordinary day-to-day issues to high-exposure disputes. The team blends a wealth of technical expertise with a wide experience in the field across a variety of industries.’
‘Luiz Afrânio Araujo is a star in the field and stands out in the market for his hands-on approach, diverse and inclusive mindset, business savvy, technical expertise, and international outlook. He pairs a solid international dual legal education in Brazil and the U.S. with a pragmatic and solution-driven approach. He is always very responsive and remarkably dedicated to client service. His genuine interest in understand clients’ business needs and how each legal matter affects their bottom line positions him way beyond the ordinary role of outside counsel. He is a true business partner and commercial counsel for his clients.’
‘Luiz Afrânio and Manoela Correa are two members of the team who deserve to be highlighted for their high level of customer service.’