Led by insurance expert Brad Adderley, Appleby employs deep bench strength to advise a roster of blue-chip international banks and financial services corporations on a wide range of banking and finance matters. Clive Langley, a seasoned international finance lawyer, serves as the key relationship partner for some of the firm’s most high-profile asset manager clients. Tammy Richardson-Augustus focuses on the energy, shipping and natural resources sectors, while dual-qualified (Bermuda and BVI) David Clark specialises in project finance and cross-border financing structures. Jerome Wilson brings expertise in digital assets and ship financing – an area in which counsel Tiffany Boys is also well-versed. Fellow counsel Andrew Kuzma assists with capital markets, public offerings and private placements. The highly experienced Canadian commercial lawyer Duncan Card joined the practice from Bennett Jones LLP in April 2022.
Banking, finance and capital markets in Bermuda
Other key lawyers:
Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P.
- Advised Wejo Group Limited, Wejo Bermuda Limited and Wejo Limited on matters of Bermuda law in its $1.1bn business combination and merger with Virtuoso Acquisition Corp.
- Acted as Bermuda counsel to Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P. on concurrent cross-border equity offerings, the aggregate gross proceeds of which totalled $1.09bn.
Praised for its ‘strategic, responsive, and very knowledgeable‘ approach, Conyers‘ large team assists major banks, insurers and asset managers on capital markets transactions, shipping and aviation financing matters. Charles Collis leads the practice, while director Victor Richards drives the firm’s shipping and aircraft focus, advising clients on high-value registrations, take-privates and bond issues. Fellow director Marcello Ausenda specialises in securities and financing work, with recent highlights including major transactions in the energy sector, while Jason Piney focuses on public companies, securities and financing work. Counsel Angela Atherden is also recommended, along with associate Alexis Haynes, whose broad focus includes the establishment and regulation of investment funds, fintech and key regulatory concerns.
Other key lawyers:
‘Delightful to deal with, strategic, responsive and very knowledgeable.’
‘Very affable and professional in their conduct. They are always willing to bridge any divide in understanding the legal perspective on matters.’
JPMorgan Chase Bank
- Advised Carnival Corporation on its private offering of $1bn aggregated principal amount of 10.5% senior unsecured notes due 2030.
- Advised Gaslog on its take private transaction with BlackRock.
- Advised Textainer Group Holdings Limited on a renewal of a $1.5bn warehouse facility of Textainer Marine Containers II Limited (“TMCL II”).
Carey Olsen Bermuda Limited
Carey Olsen‘s multidisciplinary team advises major financial institutions on a diverse spectrum of high-profile matters, including leveraged debt financing, securities enforcements and digital asset transactions. The practice is jointly led by securities expert Mary Ward and corporate finance specialist Gavin Woods, whose recent work includes multi-billion dollar, cross-border deals in the insurance sector. TMT specialist Steven Rees Davies provides expertise in fintech and digital assets, while counsel Kent Smith's focus encompasses insurance, private equity and structured finance deals. Derivatives expert Matthew Grigg joined the practice from Clifford Chance LLP in June 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘A credible and, often superior, challenger to the traditional Bermudian firms, Carey Olsen brings a City quality service with a focus on value.’
‘Carey Olsen have a great team. One of the most entrepreneurial and vibrant firms on the island. Their ability to harness young talent and nurture it is stand out.’
Blackstone Alternative Credit Advisors
Blockchain.com Group Holdings
Coöperatieve Rabobank UA
The Joint Provisional Liquidators for World on Wireless Limited
- Advised Avianca Holdings on all the key Bermuda aspects of its $1.7bn restructuring.
- Advised Blackstone Alternative Credit Advisors on the provision of financing to BC Partners in connection with BC Partners’ acquisition of the Davies group.
- Acted as Joint Provisional Liquidators in the sale of the business and certain assets of World on Wireless Limited (WoW) to TeleBermuda International Limited (TBi).
MJM Limited‘s corporate and finance team brings strength to shipping finance work, advising major Nordic shipping and offshore drilling companies domiciled in Bermuda. The group also provides expertise across a diverse range of financing transactions, acting for major players in the tourism, infrastructure and aviation areas. Practice chair and seasoned advisor Jeremy Leese handles multi-jurisdictional corporate finance deals. Counsel Brian Holdipp focuses his expertise on cross-border financings and economic substance regulations. Senior associate Mark Adams manages files involving structured, asset and project finance.
Other key lawyers:
Brian Holdipp; Mark Adams
‘To the point, providing very good legal advice based on good commercial understanding of the situation. Very available and understanding of our needs for turnaround when really needed.’
‘Extremely responsive and commercial.’
Avance Gas Holding Ltd.
Biohaven Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Borr Drilling Ltd.
Clarien Bank Limited
Cool Company Ltd.
Flex LNG Ltd.
Golar LNG Limited
Golden Ocean Group Limited
Hemen Holding Ltd.
Himalaya Shipping Ltd.
Hygo Energy Transition Ltd.
North Atlantic Drilling Ltd.
Northern Drilling Ltd.
Northern Ocean Ltd.
SFL Corporation Ltd. (previously Ship Finance International Limited)
2020 Bulkers Ltd
- Advising Frontline Ltd. on its proposed $4bn merger with Euronav NV.
- Advised Himalaya Shipping Ltd. from incorporation to listing on the Euronext NOTC and ultimately the Euronext Growth Oslo.
- Acting as Bermuda counsel to Biohaven Pharmaceuticals Holding Company Limited on its proposed $11.6bn acquisition by Pfizer Inc. and subsequent restructuring.
Walkers‘ cross-practice corporate, finance and funds team continues to dominate in the local CLO market, advising a wide range of blue-chip banks on big-ticket deals. Helmed by M&A specialist Jonathan Betts, the group brings expertise to credit facility agreements, public offerings and security arrangements. Adam Bathgate anchors the team’s CLO offering, advising blue-chip managers and investors on major undertakings, including cross-jurisdictional migrations. Senior counsel Nathalie West advises on high-value leveraged and acquisition financings. Natalie Neto is praised for her ‘practical and highly detailed‘ advice in private equity investments, and debt and equity capital markets transactions.
‘They have a deep knowledge of how our company environment works and fully understand our needs.’
‘Solutions provided by Natalie Neto are practical and highly detailed, and she also is open to listen to our opinions and implement our suggestions.’
Apollo Global Management
JP Morgan Chase
Norwegian Cruise Lines
Vantage Risk Ltd
- Advised Norwegian Cruise Lines in relation to the offer and issue by NCL Corporation Ltd. of $1bn aggregate principal amount of 5.875% senior secured notes due 2027.
- Provided Bermuda law advice to Parkland in connection with guarantees provided by a Bermuda subsidiary of the issuer for the issuance of $800m aggregate principal amount of 4.625% Senior Notes due 2030.
- Advised Thoma Bravo LLC in a $2bn take-private acquisition.
Wakefield Quin advises clients on the financing aspects of domestic commercial real estate projects and electronic communication sector transactions. Other recent highlights for the team include aviation sector senior note offerings and cross-border refinancings for international energy players. The practice is headed up by director Erik Gotfredsen, whose broad practice encompasses restructurings and fintech matters. Fellow legal director Ian Stone specialises in initial public offerings, capital markets deals and project financing.
Erik Gotfredsen; Ian Stone
Altamont Capital Partners
ATN International, Inc.
Bermuda Broadcasting Company Limited
Carlyle Aviation Partners
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
National General Insurance Group
Nordic Trustee ASA
- Advised Fly Leasing Limited in its offering of 7.000% senior notes due 2024, listed on the Bermuda Stock Exchange.
- Advised the initial purchasers in connection with SierraCol Energy Andina, LLC’s debut bond offering of $600m of 6.000% senior notes due 2028.
- Advised Diesco Industries in relation to restatement of a $125m loan and $125m equity investment by Goldman Sachs.