Doulah & Doulah’s tax team, which sits within the firm's finance group, advises multinational clients on the tax structuring aspects of corporate and finance transactions, as well as tax management and compliance matters. Practice head Amina Khatoon is supported by Ariful Islam on corporate tax matters.
Tax in Bangladesh
Other key lawyers:
A.B.M. Nasirud Doulah; Ariful Islam
- Advising PepsiCo on the tax exposure and transfer pricing aspects of an asset acquisition deal.
- Advising Walmart on the tax structuring and transfer pricing aspects of an asset transfer transaction.
- Assisted Ayesa with structuring the tax aspects of an international rail track contract executed by the offshore JVs which is financed by an offshore bank.
TANJIB ALAM & ASSOCIATES has a strong capability in tax controversies and acts for clients in appeals, audits and litigation. In addition, its team also advises on tax planning, structuring investments and VAT issues. Tanjib-ul Alam is the main contact.
Coats Bangladesh Limited
Robi Axiata limited
Butterfly Marketing Limited
Sanofi Aventis Banlgadesh limited
Bayer Cropscience Limited
YKK Bangladesh Pte Limited
Proctor and Gambles Bangladesh Pvt. Limited
Paxar Bangladesh Limited (Avery Dennison Bangladesh)
BBC Bangladesh Limited
Abul Khair Group
- Acted for Robi Axiata Ltd in judicial review petition involving interpretation of VAT act.
- Advised Coats Bangladesh Ltd on challenging the decision by Taxes Appellate Tribunal to uphold the disallowance of expenses made by Deputy Commissioner of Taxes while assessing income tax return.
- Assisted Procter and Gamble with filing an income tax reference application in the High Court Division of the Supreme Court challenging decision by Tax Appellate Tribunal disallowing advertising expense reimbursed to the advertising agency.
The Law Counsel, which is highlighted for its strengths in tax litigation, is prominent in tax proceedings before the High Court Division. The team has expertise in customs, VAT and income tax issues. It attracts a steady stream of referral work from international law firms. Abdur Razzaq, Ehsan Abdullah Siddiq and Imran Siddiq are the main contacts.
Abdur Razzaq; Ehsan Abdullah Siddiq; Imran Siddiq
Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd.
Cisco Systems, USA
SBC Garments Ltd.
M/s N.N. International
National Tobacco Company Ltd.
Sunshine Navigation International Ltd.
- Advising Cisco Inc. on its annual and monthly tax reporting obligations under the Income Tax Ordinance, 1984 and the Income Tax Rules, 1984 in respect of its employee share purchase plan drawn up for local employees.
- Advised Sunshine Navigation International Limited on partnership with a chartered accountancy firm regarding tax compliance issues arising out of a loan facility granted by a local bank worth $14m.
- Advised National Tobacco Company Ltd on challenging the legality of a claim made by the VAT authorities regarding allegedly unpaid VAT under the newly enacted VAT and Supplementary Duty Act 2016.
Junayed Ahmed Chowdhury leads the tax practice at Vertex Chambers, which advises foreign clients on VAT compliance, audits and corporate restructurings. The firm acts for clients in sectors such as telecoms, energy and infrastructure and finance.
Other key lawyers:
Junayed Ahmed Chowdhury, Tanvir Quader
Unilever Bangladesh Limited
Bay Developments Limited
World Bank Group
International Finance Corporation
Jan De Nul NV
British American Tobacco Bangladesh
British-American Tobacco Marketing (Singapore) Private Limited
Teach For Bangladesh
The City Bank Limited
GE Medical Systems Bangladesh Limited
Refinitiv Limited (a Reuters concern)
Standard Chartered Bank Bangladesh
Standard Chartered Bank UAE
Accord Shipping Limited
PRAN Foods Limited
Southeast Bank Capital Services Limited
Edge Research and Consulting Limited
Institute of Architects Bangladesh
Jumo Bangladesh Ltd
Legal Action Worldwide
Migrant Offshore Aid Station
Norwegian Refugee Council
Mutual Trust Bank Limited
Inpace Management Services Ltd.
BSRM Steels Ltd
Feni Lanka Power Limited
KRD Ventures Ltd
Excelerate Energy Bangladesh Limited
Teach For Bangladesh
- Advising a private container terminal on the tax and VAT aspects of a foreign investment from Singapore.
- Advised a client on the most tax efficient manner in which he could transfer his immovable property in Bangladesh to a trust created in the United States of America.
- Advised a client on the best way to wind up its business in Bangladesh without attracting tax liability.