Sitting within the firm’s corporate affairs department, A.S & Associates‘ tax team offers regular tax compliance and management support such as overseeing operational transactions and liaising with auditing firms. Farhana Khan is supported by Dewan Faisal on a range of corporate tax matters.
Tax in Bangladesh
A.S & Associates
A.S.A Bari; Farhana Khan
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is good to work with. They offer very good incentive care to their tax client and be able to offer long term tax planning, which is very helpful and it makes the difference between the Firm with other Firm.’
‘Dewan Faisal is very good to work with. He has very good knowledge about tax. His analyzing skills are excellent. He is different of a kind, as he is able to offer corporate advice in light of tax advice, which cannot be found in the local market. He is exceptional. I highly recommend him for his contribution.’
‘Dewan Faisal from the team was extremely thorough and helpful in answering all the questions we had, and in providing a detailed, practical writeup on the answers to the tax questions we had.’
Altech Biotechnology Pvt. Ltd.
Beijing Urban Construction Group Ltd
China Exim Bank Limited
Codes & Labels Limited
DocTime UK Limited
Evonik Bangladesh Limited
Grand Bengal Hotel Limited
Hoda Vasi Chowdhury & Co.
Hoque Bhattacharjee Das & Co
MAS Intimates Bangladesh (Pvt) Ltd
Maslin Capital Limited
Nishimura and Asahi
Norinco Intl. Power Limited
O.P. Khaitan & Co.
RPCL-Norinco International Power Limited
responsAbility Investments AG
Sarens India Heavy Lifting Pvt Limited
Snehasish Mahmood & Co
Subra Systems Limited
The Himalaya Drug Company Ltd
Trust Axiata Limited
Zhong Lun Law Firm, Beijing
- Advised a Chinese company and its Singaporean subsidiary on the launch of their operation in Bangladesh and to restructure their business model in the most tax-efficient manner to secure optimum profit from Bangladesh.
- Advising a subsidiary of a Sri-Lankan company to reorganise its capital structure, while ensuring savings in gain tax, to secure maximization of take home with the support of a double taxation treaty.
- Advised a foreign law firm and ride sharing company, domiciled in Hong Kong, in assessing tax obligations that may arise from the business model of the ride sharing company as Permanent Establishment in Bangladesh.
Doulah & Doulah
Sitting within the firm’s finance group, Doulah & Doulah‘s tax team advises multinational clients on the tax structuring aspects of corporate and finance transactions. Additionally, the team works on tax due diligence and exemption matters, as well as alternative dispute resolution. Amina Khatoon leads the team, supported by Ariful Islam.
Other key lawyers:
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Successfully resolved a large Tax claim for Maxim Garments Accessories Ltd by way of alternative dispute resolution .
- Successfully obtained an exemption of capital gain tax for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation under double taxation avoidance agreement.
- Completed tax due diligence for an EPC contract being executed by POSCO with respect to a thermal plant under construction.
TANJIB ALAM & ASSOCIATES
TANJIB ALAM & ASSOCIATES‘s tax team features strong capabilities in its handling of tax controversy resolution, including appeals, audits and litigation. The team also has a national reputation for income tax reference before the High Court Division, tax planning and structuring to avoid tax exposure. Tanjib-ul Alam is the main contact.
Tanjib-ul Alam; Kazi Ershadul Alam
Other key lawyers:
Nazmun Binte Islam
City Bank Limited
Marico Bangladesh Limited
STS Holding Limited
Hapag Lloyd AG, Germany
Robi Axiata Limited
Ocean Network Express Bangladesh Limited
Dhaka Stock Exchange Limited
Chittagong Stock Exchange Limited
Prime Bank Limited
Eastern Bank Limited
Bangladesh Steel Re-rolling Mills Limited (BSRM)
- Advised and acted as counsel for Proctor & Gamble in respect of a VAT claim
The Law Counsel
The ‘professional, sincere, competent and diligent’ VAT and tax department at The Law Counsel has considerable experience in handling matters relating to income tax in front of the High Court. In addition, the firm is regularly instructed by international companies on income tax implications and tax withholding requirements in Bangladesh. The main contacts for this work are Abdur Razzaq, Ehsan Abdullah Siddiq and Imran Siddiq.
Abdur Razzaq; Ehsan Siddiq; Imran Siddiq
‘The Law Counsel provides a wide range of tax services. Its practice areas include Corporate Tax Solutions, VAT Solutions, Individual Tax Solutions, Tax Litigation which includes Appeal before Tax Appellate Tribunals, VAT Appellate Tribunals, Tax Reference before the Hon’ble Supreme Court of Bangladesh and Appeal from the same in the Appellate Division of Hon’ble Supreme Court of Bangladesh.’
‘This firm is one of the most experienced law firms in Bangladesh which has experience of dealing with national tax authorities and has successfully provided tax services to both national and international corporations for more than three decades. They are professional, sincere, competent and diligent in their client dealings. I have had the wonderful experience of working with Mr. Abdur Razzaq, Ehsan A. Siddiq, Imran A. Siddiq, all Barristers and Advocates of Bangladesh Supreme Court.’
Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd.
Cisco Systems Inc, USA
Amazon Inc., USA
Deloitte Customs Korea LLC
Bigo Technology (Pte) Limited
Summit Alliance Port Limited
Arbella Fashions Ltd.
- Advised Deloitte-Korea in regard to how ready-made garments exported from Bangladesh to Korea would have the requisite Regional Value Content (RVC) in order to benefit from the reduced customs duties in Korea available for LDCs.
- Advised Samsung on the tax and duties regime applicable to the import of Completely Knocked Down (CKD) and Semi Knocked Down (SKD) smart phones.
- Advised Bigo Technology (Pte) Limited with regard to the legal and regulatory compliance in making the Bigo Live App available in Bangladesh and also with regard to the Advance Income Tax regime in setting up their businesses in Bangladesh.