The corporate finance team at A.S & Associates handles a wide range of transactional and corporate advisory work, with a specialism in cross-border mergers and acquisitions for national banks and multinational corporations, as well as structured lending and security documents. This key points of contact for this work are A.S.A Bari, Ferdausur Rahman and Farhana Khan. In addition to the work generated by local contacts, the firm also receives frequent mandates from international law firms like Dentons.
Corporate and M&A in Bangladesh
A.S & Associates
A.S.A Bari; Ferdausur Rahman; Farhana Khan
Other key lawyers:
‘I have been working with AS Associates for close to 3 years. I find them responsive and they have indepth knowledge of the local regulatory landscape.’
‘Ferdaus Rahman – is the engagement Partner. Ferdaus’ insight into client needs and perspective, give him the unique edge of being able to synch up the law with business needs. He is calm yet firm in negotiations and this trait helps in getting what is needed for the client.’
‘Incredibly friendly support, they know our organization well and there’s definitely human beings behind the emails, and not just robots or cold faces.’
‘All of the 3 lawyers we deal with are great, but Ferdaus in particular is a gem. Spectacular support, super funny (in a professional, appropriate way), and goes out of his way to support us however we need.’
‘The Firm is dynamic and responsive to our day-to-day needs which include advising and assisting us with a flip transaction to incorporate a holding company in Singapore and other assisting in commercial vendor transactions. The approach of the Firm is detail-oriented advice and risk categorisation which has allowed us to stay focused on the key legal issues. The Firm has substantive knowledge and expertise in all legal areas and has advised us on the acquisition, merger, demerger, and commercial contracts including tech contracts, secretarial advisory, taxation, and regulatory services.’
‘The litigation wing of the Firm has advised us to deal with several claims of fraud and cybercrime committed by individuals on our platform and supported us to put forward our case during the investigation stage.’
‘Mr A.S.A Bari is the go-to person for transactional advice, he is very responsive and detailed in his approach. Mr Bari is aware of the key legal and commercial issues in a deal, be it any issues of demerger, commercial agreements, corporate secretarial, or taxation. His hindsight and commercial awareness make him unique and valuable. Our Board always resort to his advice on any critical legal and commercial issues that also help in the development of the business.’
‘Ms Farhana Khan is another name to point out. Ms Khan is well-versed with issues pertaining to technology law, telecom products, payment system regulations and data protection including advising on the critical corporate restructuring of the company to open a holding company in Singapore and conduct a flip transaction of existing shareholders in Bangladesh. Ms Farhana is a instrumental in advising on key legal issues on the restructuring process.’
Amzi & Associates
APM Global Logistics Bangladesh Limited
Banco Securities Limited
Beijing Deheng Law Firm
Beijing Kangda Law Firm
Bangladesh Clinical Trials Limited
Bangladesh Freight Forwarders Association
Bangladesh Power Development Board, BPDB
Bird & Bird LLP
Capital Alliance Limited
Classic FoodLab Limited
China Exim Bank Limited
China Railway Engineering
City Bank Capital Resources Limited
Clyde & Co. Clasis Singapore
Clyde & Co. UK
Codes & Labels Limited
Dahua Technology Bangladesh Pvt. Limited
Danish Condensed Milk Limited
Danske Bank A/S
Deutsche Bank AG
Devotech Technology Park Limited
Dhaka Bye-pass Expressway Limited
Doctime Bangladesh Limited
Doreen Power House and Technologies Limited
Doreen Power Limited
Drew & Napier
Energis Power Corporation Limited
Envoy Textiles Limited
EPV Thakurgaon Limited
- Advised Grand Bengal Hotel Limited on its acquisition of a five-star hotel project in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and advised on the establishment of a legal relationship with Hyatte Palace through a Hotel Management Agreement to operate the hotel.
- Advised one of the leading holding companies from Sri Lanka on its acquisition of 100% share of the leading super market chain company in Bangladesh.
- Advised SSSL, a modern virtual service outsourcing company, in a series of commercial transactions forming part of a multi-country supply and distribution agreement valuing $84 Million.
Doulah & Doulah
Doulah & Doulah possesses a leading corporate practice that is known for acting on major high value transactions both domestically and internationally. The team acts on a number of major acquisition and M&A matters relating to major infrastructure projects in Bangladesh, and the firm’s fintech practice continues to grow as well. The main points of contact at the firm are project finance and development experts A.B.M. Nasirud Doulah and Amina Khatoon.
A.B.M. Nasirud Doulah; Amina Khatoon
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Hero Future Energies
Associated British Foods
China Energy Engineering Group
- Advised Amazon on structuring and implementing Amazon’s start-ups in Bangladesh with considerable equity investment with a large business plan over the years.
- Successfully advised Sri Lankan conglomerate Capital Alliance Limited in acquiring a merchant bank.
- Acted for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in divesting a sizeable stake in bKash, a non-banking financial institution, to Softbank to facilitate USD250 million investment.
Mahbub & Company
The growing corporate and M&A team at Mahbub & Company is an industry leader in the field of corporate advisory work and transactions, with a particular expertise in employment advice and cross border M&A transactions. The firm has a strong track-record in foreign investment and entity structuring for a number of major international corporates. Saqeb Mahbub leads the team ins handling significant cross border work in the technology sector and beyond, with a strong collection of associates such as Rifat Rahman and Tasmiah Zaman.
Other key lawyers:
Rifat Rahman; Tasmiah Zaman
Cross-border Education Technologies Pte Ltd. (Shikho)
DEKKO ISHO Ventures
Live Green BD Limited
Omicon Tech Ventures
Multi Sourcing (Pvt.) Ltd.
DAI Global LLC
The City Bank Limited
Handyman 24-7 Co. Ltd
Muslim Aid UK
Mutual Trust Bank
Monsoon Holdings Limited
Roots Edu Tech
Jubilant Foodworks (Domino’s)
Sena Kalyan Sangstha
10 Minute School
Fourth Partner Energy
- Advised Jubilant Foodworks Limited, master franchisee of Domino’s Pizza in South Asia on its acquisition of a 49pc stake from its JV partner in Bangladesh.
- Advised ed-tech startup 10 Minute School on its funding round led by Bangladesh government-backed venture capital firm, Startup Bangladesh.
- Advised Shikho Technologies on its acquisition of online learning platform Bohubrihi.
Sattar&Co.‘s corporate team is frequently engaged on high profile corporate transactions in Bangladesh, with particular experience in advising domestic and multinational corporations within the aviation, employment, energy, pharmaceutical and media sectors. The team is also advises on joint ventures, corporate restructurings and foreign direct investments. The main of point of contact for the team is Sameer Sattar, the head of the firm who’s known for his strong practice in M&A and labour law.
Other key lawyers:
Khademul Islam Choyon; Mahbub Hasan
‘Understood issues quickly.’
‘From the very first day of reaching out to Sattar&Co, their management team and staff have communicated, planned and delivered with a very high client focused quality. Sattar&Co has proven to be a stand out legal firm in the industry in terms of professionalism and very strong business ethics. They have advised us, guided us and enabled us to not only resolve our energy requirements at our factories, but also that the energy providing firm provides us a trouble free and highly satisfactory service.’
‘Unlike most other competing firms, Barrister Sameer Sattar, Founding Partner at Sattar&Co, is incredibly generous with his time and expertise. He is one of the most reputed legal minds in this country and has an incredibly personable character. Beyond that, I have to say that his humor and good nature makes long nights and tough deadlines much easier on his partners and associates.’
‘They have a good set of lawyers that comes from different background. And collaborates well with different resources to ensure right required input is in place for the case.’
‘Sameer Sattar the leader of the legal practice is a true leader with strong values, ethics n practice.’
‘The attorneys at Sattar & Co. are distinguished not only by their superior legal skill but also by their highest level of integrity and complete dedication to client service. They follow proper SOP(Standard Operating Procedure). They handle every small legal issue seriously and collaborate with us on every single pros and cons.’
‘Sattar & Co. have many qualifications which makes them quite different from the other existing legal farms. 1. They give us prompt support. 2. They are very concern about our company reputation. 3. They are reliable and professionally ethical.’
Connell Bros. Co. Bangladesh (Pvt.) Ltd.
Esquire Accessories Ltd.
Fly Dhaka Airlines Ltd.
Rahimafrooz Renewable Energy Ltd. (RREL)
ASCENA Global Sourcing Hong Kong Limited
Denim Asia Ltd.
Sirajganj Economic Zone Limited
Shah Cement Industries Ltd.
Acorn Infrastructure Services Unit-3 Ltd.
Bangla Trac Power Unit-2 Ltd.
- Advised Connell Bros. Co. Bangladesh (Pvt.) and its Singaporean counterpart on a share acquisition, which forms part of a global acquisition.
- Advises Tencent on various legal issues including laws, inter alia, relating to Content Delivery Network (CDN) services, and data centre laws in relation to data retention and localisation within the jurisdiction of Bangladesh.
- Assisted Fly Dhaka Airlines Ltd., a local private airline operator in incorporating the same in Bangladesh and also advising on leasing aircrafts from abroad.
TANJIB ALAM & ASSOCIATES
The corporate and M&A department at TANJIB ALAM & ASSOCIATES has acted as counsel for a number of high profile cross border mergers, acquisitions and takeovers, including the advising Robi Axia on its merger with Airtel Bangladesh. Corporate law experts Tanjib-ul Alam and Kazi Ershadul Alam are the key contacts on the team, supported by Nazmun Binte Islam.
Tanjib-ul Alam; Kazi Ershadul Alam
Other key lawyers:
Nazmun Binte Islam
City Bank Limited
Marico Bangladesh Limited
STS Holding Limited
Hapag Lloyd AG, Germany
Robi Axiata Limited
- Advised bKash Limited in SoftBank Group’s investment through acquisition of shares.
- Advised Bangladesh Steel Re-rolling Mills Limited (BSRM) in a merger with its subsidiary through exchange of shares.
- Advised Dutch Development Bank- FMO and others in subscription of shares in ACI Motors.
The Law Counsel
The Law Counsel includes a strong corporate and TMT department, which services clients in Bangladesh and beyond. The team acts on a wide variety of corporate mandates, including market entry, compliance and commercial contracts in addition to its strong intellectual property practice. Important names on the team are the firm's founder Abdur Razzaq, telecoms expert Imran Siddiq and Ehsan Abdullah Siddiq, who has a strong employment law practice.
Abdur Razzaq; Ehsan Siddiq; Imran Siddiq
‘The Team of Law Counsel is renowned for its services with integrity. It has the capacity to tailoring services in accordance with the needs of the time and the industry as well as the needs of its clients.’
‘The key leaders of Law Counsel i.e. Mr. Abdur Razzaq, Ehsan A. Siddiq, Imran A. Siddiq all have both national and international legal education, training, and experience which makes them stand out amongst other similar law chambers.’
Badische Anilin & Soda-Fabric AG (BASF), China
Reliance HMO, Nigeria
Naga Markets Europe Ltd., Cyprus
Haider Building Materials Company Ltd., HongKong
BIGO Live Technologies Ltd.
A.P. Moller-Maersk, Netherlands
Samsung Electronics, Korea
Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd.
Caterpillar Power Generation Systems (Bangladesh) Ltd.
Cable News Network (CNN), USA
Saudi Arabian Airlines Ltd.
Cisco Systems Ltd., USA
Uber Inc, USA
Reliance Insurance Ltd.
Alpha Credit Rating Ltd.
- Advised Badische Anilin & Soda-Fabric AG (BASF), China regarding the data protection and privacy laws of Bangladesh.
- Advised Reliance HMO (Nigeria), a start-up tech company, regarding the legal and regulatory restrictions on setting up a business in Bangladesh.
- Advised NAGA Markets Europe Ltd., a regulated financial services firm in Cyprus regarding the legal and regulatory restrictions on offering financial services in Bangladesh through cross-border arrangements.
DFDL Bangladesh has a strong track record in the handling of high profile projects, mergers and acquisitions and foreign direct investments, including the largest foreign direct investment in the history of Bangladesh. The team is particularly strong within the energy, infrastructure, manufacturing and telecoms sectors. Shahwar Jamal Nizam leads the team, supported by associates Mahboob Aziz and Tarannum Tasnim.
Other key lawyers:
Mahboob Aziz; Tarannum Tasnim
‘Very knowledgeable and proactive team. DFDL has vast experience in working with international clients and foreign law firms. The firm has a very positive and solution-oriented approach. DFDL has been helpful both in the legal due diligence, ethics and compliance review and deal negotiations. Good domestic and international network. Clearly the up and coming go-to firm in Dhaka for foreign investors.’
‘Senior partner Shahwar Nizam. Very quick to respond. Solid pragmatic legal advise. Takes personal involvement and pride in deals. Pleasant person to work with. Has good network of stakeholders which has been useful for the country entry into Bangladesh.’
JICA – Japan International Cooperation Agency
Japan Tobacco International
Janata Jute Mills
United Dhaka Tobacco Company Ltd.
- Advised r-pac International, a leading global provider of branded packaging, trims, sensor technologies, and supply chain solutions for retailers, mass merchandisers, and brands, in obtaining investment from American Securities LLC, a leading U.S. private equity firm.
- Advising Nebras in acquiring from Unique Group a 24% equity interest in Unique Meghnanghat Power Limited which is developing a 584 MW Combined Cycle Power Plant in Narayanganj, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Advising Actis GP LLP in acquiring Nutan Bidyut Bangladesh Limited from Global Energy Ventures and Shapoorji Pallonji Infrastructure Capital Company Private Limited (SPICCPL), on the development of a 220 MW combined cycle gas turbine project at Bhola.