Al Tamimi & Company has an extensive corporate offering spanning M&A, investment funds, corporate restructurings and private equity transactions, with the practice being led by managing partner Foutoun Hajjar. It generates work from a mix of both domestic and international clients. The ‘excellent’ Rad El Treki works on all of the firm's corporate and M&A deals. He also has notable expertise in the corporate aspects of project finance transactions, particularly in the oil and gas sector.
Firms in the Spotlight Commercial, corporate and M&A
ASAR - Al Ruwayeh & Partners
ASAR ‒ Al Ruwayeh and Partners is an award-winning law firm operating in the State of Kuwait since 1977, and in the Kingdom of Bahrain since 2006. The firm is considered a leading tier one corporate law firm and the largest full service corporate and commercial law firm in Kuwait. ASAR is one of the …View Profile...
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Bahrain
Foutoun Hajjar; Rad El Treki
‘Their large team in the region makes differentiates them and places them well as a single point of contact for us for all our commercial and corporate needs. The team in Bahrain is able to call on subject matter specialists as and when needed from other offices in the region, which has worked well for us.’
‘Very commercial and responsive.’
‘Al Tamimi bring with them regional expertise and high quality advice. They are generally reliable and responsive.’
Bahrain Financing Company (BFC)
Standard Chartered Bank
Hydro Extruded Solutions
Al-Ghalia Holding B.S.C. (C) (Bahrain)
GFH Financial Group B.S.C.
Guardian Glass / Koch Group
Eagle Hills Diyar Company W.L.L.
Baker & McKenzie Limited
Having been based in Bahrain since 1998, Baker & McKenzie Limited's team is a leading adviser to major domestic, regional and international clients on their most complex and strategically significant matters. The group's varied workload covers the gamut of public and private M&A, joint ventures and restructurings, among other matters. Ian Siddell, who leads the practice, is the main point of contact in the Gulf region. He works with the 'excellent' Fatima Alhasan, who handles private equity deals, corporate reorganisations and commercial contracts. Real estate and construction remain core areas of strength.
Other key lawyers:
‘Partner Fatima Alhasan is an excellent practitioner with great attention to detail when handling complex multijurisdictional transactions.’
‘Speed – the team at Baker McKenzie have really impressed me with how quickly they turn around their work. This combined with easy to digest, pragmatic advice means top marks for being user friendly.’
‘Baker McKenzie has a strong commercial, corporate and M&A practice in Bahrain.’
Arabian Centres Company
Samba Capital & Investment Management Company
The Mediterranean and Gulf Cooperative Insurance and Reinsurance Company (MedGulf)
Saudi Fransi Capital
The Saudi Investment Bank (SAIB)
Citigroup Global Markets Limited
Al Rajhi Banking and Investment Corporation
Olayan Financing Company (OFC)
Ahli United Bank
- Representing the MOICT (acting for and on behalf of itself and other key Government authorities and Government owned entities) in all stages of the CVD component of the US International Trade Commission and the US Department of Commerce anti-dumping (AD) and countervailing duty (CVD) investigations relating to Gulf Aluminium Rolling Mill Company.
- Representing GARMCO in all stages of the US International Trade Commission and the US Department of Commerce anti-dumping (AD) and countervailing duty (CVD) investigations relating to Gulf Aluminium Rolling Mill Company.
- Acting for Arab Bank plc in relation to release and settlement of facilities provided to a corporate obligor with its headquarters in Dubai.
At Charles Russell Speechlys LLP, the corporate and commercial team excels in undertaking work connected with the telecoms, media and entertainment sectors, including M&A and commercial contracts. The practice is jointly led by Dubai-based practitioners Mark Hill (who also manages the firms IP and TMT practice in the Middle East) and William Reichert . In the Manama office, Jonathan Fisher advises on reorganisations, management buyouts and shareholders agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very responsive with a good understanding of the commercial drivers. Good practice advice.’
Arab Shipbuilding and Repair Yard Company (ASRY)
Ahlan Technologies SPC
Saudi Arabian Baytur Construction Co
DANAT – Bahrain Institute for Pearls & Gemstones
Nadeen School W.L.L.
- Assisted Arab Shipbuilding and Repair Yard Company (ASRY) with preparing a joint venture shareholders’ agreement and various other documentation in connection with a large-scale joint venture entity which will operate in the oil and gas sector in the GCC.
- Assisted Ahlan Technologies SPC with preparing a suite of commercial, IP and data protection documentation in connection with the roll-out of an e-commerce solution for food ordering and deliveries from restaurant outlets throughout Bahrain.
- Assisted DXC Technology with drafting a share transfer agreement, as well as various board resolutions and other ancillary documentation that needed to be filed with MOICT to reflect the transfer of shares.
At Trowers & Hamlins LLP, the corporate practice is led by Brian Howard in Manama. Its work encompasses nvestments, capital markets transactions, real estate mixed-use developments and regulatory matters. The group has a long-established market presence in the Kingdom and is also active across the Gulf region. Howard's team includes Dominic O’Neil, who is a co-head of the global private equity practice.
Other key lawyers:
Newton Legal has a well-established corporate and commercial team, which is jointly led by managing partner Aamal Al Abbasi (who is the first port of call for government entities) and Joseph Huse. It advises on joint ventures, commercial contracts and restructurings, among other matters. In one notable mandate, the department has been acting for the Ministry of Health on negotiations with multiple suppliers over the supply of Covid-19 vaccines. Ahmed Alfardan, who made partner, is another key individual.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have dealt with Newton Legal team and I have found the great team with best legal quality and communication skills and great knowledge in different sector of the law.’
‘The team is very responsive to queries and meet our legal services needs. Aamal is a very good lawyer.’
‘Good local knowledge. Aamal and Ahmed recommended.’
The Oil and Gas Holding Company
Office of the Prime Minister HRH the Crown Prince
The Bahrain Petroleum Company (Bapco)
Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company
Bahrain Aviation Fueling Company (BAFCO)
BAC Jet Fuel Company
Ahli United Bank
Enoc Marketing LLC
Bahrain Flour Mills Company
- Acted as counsel to the Government of Bahrain on its negotiation with the multiple suppliers of Covid-19 vaccines.
- Advised a leading national company on the negotiation with its vendors and suppliers in an effort to reduce the company’s costs following the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advising on the acquisition of shares in a joint venture company in the oil and gas sector.
Zeenat Al Mansoori & Associates handles a steady stream of domestic and cross-border work for clients in sectors such as oil and gas, real estate, construction and hospitality. Amel Al Aseeri has expertise in matters such as joint ventures and M&A. She works with Zeenat Al Mansoori, who has over three decades of experience, counts state-owned enterprises and investment funds as key clients.
‘Extremely professional and wealth of experience in corporate law.’
‘Helpful, professional and knowledgeable in corporate law.’
Four Seasons Hotel Bahrain Bay
Bahrain Middle East Bank B.S.C
CPIC Abahsain Fiberglass W.L.L
Bahrain Atomisers International B.S.C
Tatweer Petroleum- Bahrain Field Development Company
Foulath Holding BSC
YBA Kanoo Group
Bahrain World Trade Center
- Advising a leading Bahraini public company on the sale of its shares and sale of securities to another public company.
- Acting for a client on a joint venture between two companies for a real estate development project.
Zu’bi & Partners, Attorneys & Legal Consultants, which acts for clients in Bahrain and elsewhere in the Middle East, is sought after for advice on a myriad of commercial agreements, as well as M&A, private equity investments and privatisations. One of the names to note at the firm is Naveen Thakur, who is a 'top lawyer'. He works with Dareen Abdul Rahim, who advises on large-scale capital markets transactions, including IPOs. The firm remains the local counsel of choice for large international law firms. Qays H. Zu’bi manages the group.
Investcorp Holdings BSC.
Bahrain Development Bank BSC
Technip Italy S.p.A.
United Cement Company BSC
Rolls-Royce & Partners Finance Limited
Majid Al Futtaim Retail
The Coca Cola Export Corporation
ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd
- Local adviser to Amable IX Cruz Aguiluz and Amable V Delos Reyes Aguiluz on the sale of AMA International University and Athena Private School for Special Education.
- Acted as the Bahraini legal counsel to (i) TRU Simulation + Training Canada Inc. and (ii) Textron Financial Corporation in respect of the sale of an A320 full flight simulator to Gulf Aviation Academy BSC(c).
- Local adviser to ABB in the pre-transaction corporate restructuring and subsequent sale of ABB’s Power Grids business worth up to $7.8bn to Hitachi.