Haslinger/Nagele & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH is the first port of call when it comes to administrative as well as constitutional law and specifically environmental issues. Wilhelm Bergthaler is noted.
Administrative law and public sector in Austria
Haslinger/Nagele & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH
Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte) provides a diverse range of public law services ranging from energy and transport to technology and gaming. A key focus lies on environment and climate change matters, for instance in the shape of planning and permitting, nature protection law and waste management. Bernd Rajal acts as firm-wide department head, with Christian Schmelz in charge of the subgroup planning and environment. Rajal advises both public and private entities on trade and foreign investment law, whereas Schmelz excels at construction and energy law. Associate Benjamin Schlatter handles both the regulatory aspects of environmental law and administrative proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Christian Schmelz; Benjamin Schlatter
‘Mr. Schmelz is an outstanding expert and delivers excellent results.’
‘Extraordinarily well-educated lawyers, with their local and international expertise and language skills.’
‘Outstanding social skills, accuracy and professionalism of how cases are handled. Internationality and future-oriented thinking.’
‘The Administrative law practice of Schoenherr is outstanding in terms of professionalism and experience. The lawyers there are excellent, and they are the ones to call when it comes to extraordinary complex cases in the public sector. There are many other law firms around but Schoenherr plays in a different league. Extremely solution-oriented approach and responsive.’
‘They are always on the top of things when there are new regulatory developments. For example, they immediately reacted to the pandemic and established a COVID-19 corner on their website providing information services to their clients. Excellent client care. This makes them unique. ’
‘Bernd Rajal is an excellent administrative law lawyer who is able to assist in handling complex matters. I work with him for years and I can strongly recommend him. If I have something important I go to him.’
‘Bernd Rajal is strong in energy and public transport related matters. I also work with other lawyers, but Bernd Rajal is absolutely the best in the field of public law.’
Austrian Chamber of Commerce
Zellstoff Pöls AG
EXAA Abwicklungsstelle für Energieprodukte AG
UniCredit Bank Austria AG
Association of Austrian Pharmacies
Autobahnen- und Schnellstraßen-Finanzierungs-AG (ASFINAG)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
European Commission (DG Energy)
State of Vorarlberg
BRAMAC Dachsysteme International GmbH
- Advising Uber on all regulatory legal aspects regarding its market entry in Austria
- Advising Asfinag on a broad range of environmental and permitting issues, especially in relation to the construction of several major motorways
- Advising FlixBus on the legal aspects of the continued expansion of its business operations in Austria
Although focused on litigation before administrative courts, the service portfolio at bpv Hügel ranges from advice to public healthcare entities and municipalities to environmental law such as planning, zoning and waste management law. Christian Schneider, whose experience in this area also includes litigation, jointly leads the team with Christian Macho.
Christian Schneider; Christian Macho
Mayer & Co GmbH
British American Tobacco
Austrian Chamber of Pharmacists
Marktgemeinde Maria Enzersdorf
St. Pölten (State Capital)
City of Vienna
Mobility fund of the City of Vienna
- Representing Steirische Landesforste in administrative court proceedings regarding the lock of forest land in a national park to prevent game animals from roaming.
- Advising British American Tobacco on all tobacco-related matters.
In January 2020, Cerha Hempel founded a dedicated regulatory, IP/IT and white-collar crime department, which includes the firm's administrative and public law offering, to underline the growing importance of these areas. When it comes to administrative law and public sector work, the group focuses on regulated industries, environmental law, higher education law and hospital law. Hans Kristoferitsch is in charge of the newly established department and also jointly leads the administrative and public practice with Stefan Huber. The former is an EU law expert with litigation experience and the latter shines in environmental and constitutional matters. Associate Armin Schwabl is of note for his life sciences and pharmaceutical expertise.
Hans Kristoferitsch; Stefan Huber
Other key lawyers:
‘Unique experience in several sectors of public and administrative law compared with fundamental expertise in corporate and criminal law.’
‘Stefan Huber is an excellent young partner in administrative, procurement and criminal law, very uncomplicated to work with.’
Hans Kristoferitsch has outstanding expertise in state aid matters, easy to work with.’
‘The work product and commitment of Armin Schwabl is outstanding. He always provides excellent and clear advice. It is a pleasure to work with him.’
‘Exceptional knowledge of the university sector and broad knowledge of the public sector.’
‘Swift service of the highest quality.’
‘Both, Dr. Kristoferitsch as well as Dr. Huber have outstanding knowledge and a highly professional approach in combination with a hands-on mentality.’
Republic of Austria (Ministry of Finance)
Austrian Power Grid AG (“APG”)
Graz University of Arts
Philip Morris Austria
Ingenium Education GmbH
SES Spar European Shopping Centers
Spar Österreichische Warenhandels-AG
German Alpine Association (Deutscher Alpenverein)
Vienna International Airport
KMU Akademie AG
Austrian Chamber of Pharmacists
Austrian Students’ Union
Edith Saurer Fonds
- Advised Austrian state holding ÖBAG with regard to the granting of EUR 150 million state aid, to Austrian Airlines to compensate Covid 19 related losses.
- Advising the Republic of Austria in the so-called Hinkley Point case, a challenge of the commission decision authorising EUR 30 billion state aid by the UK to the Hinkley Point nuclear plant.
- Represented the Graz University of Arts in a case brought by a candidate to become rector challenging the choice by the University.
In administrative and public law, Fellner Wratzfeld & Partners stands out for its know-how of environmental law matters including environmental due diligence, licence applications for industrial facilities and environmental impact assessments. The aforementioned topics are also key areas of department head Michael Hecht's practice. Environmental specialists Josef Peer and Severin Plattner were both promoted to contract partner in November and December 2019, respectively. The group's expertise also includes constitutional and administrative matters including planning and zoning.
Other key lawyers:
Josef Peer; Severin Plattner
UIV Urban Innovation Vienna GmbH
Donauturm Aussichtsturm- und Restaurantbetriebsgesellschaft m.b.H
ÖBB Infrastruktur AG
BUWOG – Bauen und Wohnen Gesellschaft mbH
Province of Vorarlberg
Province of Lower Austria
- Advising ÖBB Infrastruktur AG on the upgrade of the Lower Inn Valley railway (Unterinntalbahn) in Tyrol.
- Acting for WKOÖ in appeals related to the repeal of the regulation on membership fees.
- Advising a wide range of property and project developer consortia on structuring and concluding urban development contracts with the City of Vienna.
Niederhuber & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH
Environmental and planning law are the two main strong suits of public law boutique Niederhuber & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH. As such, the team is able to cover a wide array of matters such as air pollution control, water and forestry law and emissions trading. Founding partner Martin Niederhuber, who is regularly involved in plant law issues, jointly heads the practice with nature conservation law specialist Paul Reichel. May 2020 saw the promotion of David Suchanek, who also represents clients before authorities and administrative courts, to equity partner.
Martin Niederhuber; Paul Reichel
Other key lawyers:
VERBUND Wind Power Austria GmbH; VERBUND Green Power GmbH; VERBUND Energy4Business
Austrian Power Grid AG
Salzburg AG für Energie, Verkehr, Telekommunikation
Vereinigung der Österreichischen Zementindustrie
Web Windenergie AG
VERBUND Hydro Power GmbH
ASFINAG Autobahnen- und Schnellstraßen-Finanzierungs-AG
Loacker Recycling GmbH
- Advising Verbund on all legal issues relating to the development of renewable energy projects
- Representation of the Association of the Austrian Cement Industry and its members in all legal and strategic issues of environmental, antitrust, and public law
- Representation of Schmittenhöhebahn AG in an environmental impact assessment approval procedure for a connection of a new valley area to an existing ski area in the federal state of Salzburg
When it comes to administrative and constitutional law, Wolf Theiss Rechtsanwalte GmbH & CoKG puts a key emphasis on regulated industries. Although its niche expertise includes insurance supervisory and gaming, the team is also proficient in environmental and planning law. Regulatory specialist Kurt Retter is in charge of the practice and has experience advising on the spin-offs of state-run activities into corporate entities owned or controlled by the state.
Other key lawyers:
Dominik Engel; Georg Knafl
‘Outstanding regulatory expertise, in particular in the healthcare sector. ’
‘I regularly work with Dr. Kurt Retter who is known for his outstanding regulatory expertise, timely replies and accurate work products. ’
‘Orientated into solving the problem; hands on deck mentality in a very complex field of the law.’
‘The full-package service combined with high professionalism, timely manner and orientation on the needs of the client.’
‘Kurt Retter is a great professional, always getting to the point of clients.’
‘Kurt Retter is one of the best lawyers in Austria. He has a great team and always knows the best strategy to come to reach the goals!’
Merck, Sharp & Dohme Corp.
DORDA Rechtsanwälte GmbH operates an increasingly strong public law practice aimed at life sciences, healthcare and consumer goods clients, with a particular strength in food law. The team's skill set also includes trade law, waste law, town planning and utilities as well as environmental impact assessments. Bernhard Müller, who has additional knowledge of foreign trade and environmental law, leads the team.
‘Close collaboration; all relevant topics for our industry sector are covered; even with new topics like Covid-19, the support was excellent; very practical approach with good advice for implementation.’
‘Great network within the firm; one contact person and rapid forwarding to competent position for special enquiries within the firm; professional response always guaranteed.’
‘Bernhard Müller shows outstanding expertise in public law and procurement law.’
Al Fakher Tobacco
N Green Mobility – AUTONOmous driving project
ÖBB Holding, ÖBB-Postbus GmbH, ÖBB Personenverkehr
Too Good to Go
3M Precision Grinding
- Advised Airbnb on an amendment to the building regulations for Vienna, according to which the short-term rental of apartments in Vienna is to be prohibited in certain parts of the city.
- Representing Mjam in trade law and other public law related matters.
- Assisted ÖBB with different measures which were taken to manage the pandemic and affected the various business units of the company in different ways.
At E+H Eisenberger + Herzog, environmental and energy law are at the forefront of the public commercial law practice. In autumn 2020, Tatjana Katalan-Dworak and Ulrike Sehrschön assumed joint leadership of the department. Katalan-Dworak specializes in infrastructure and industrial plant operation, whereas Sehrschön shines in tender procedures and regulatory law. Georg Eisenberger left the firm.
Tatjana Katalan-Dworak; Ulrike Sehrschön
‘Personal contact, perfect availability.’
‘The teams always reacts very quickly and in a competent manner. As there are many people in the team, there is also a lot of know-how.’
‘Very friendly, reacting fast and at almost any time a day.’
‘Dr. Tatjana Katalan-Dworak is the best of the top.’
Windpark Stanglalm GmbH
Wasserverband Grazerfeld Südost
Allianz Capital Partner
- Supervising the EIA approval for the Stanglalm wind farm in Styria; defending the client in Federal Administrative Court (BVwG) against the environmental organisation “Alliance for nature”.
- Advising Regionalwärme Gruppe on all legal matters; currently advising on pipeline routes and network expansion.
- Advising Wasserverband Grazerfeld Südost on the construction of new wells to ensure the drinking water supply.
Herbst Kinsky Rechtsanwalte GmbH fields a wide variety of administrative law expertise ranging from state aid and regulatory matters to public banking, trade law, energy and waster matters. Christoph Herbst, who is an expert in financing transactions for public entities, is the key name; he leads the team in addition to his role as a judge at the Austrian Constitutional Court.
Other key lawyers:
Niederösterreichische Landeskliniken Holding und Land Niederösterreich
GIS Gebühren Info Service GmbH
Bundesanstalt Statistik Österreich
- Advising Magenta (former T-Mobile) on telecoms law.
- Advising the Lower Austrian Provincial Clinics Holding on several public law issues in connection with hospitals in St. Pölten and Wr. Neustadt.
- Advising Illwerke AG on energy law-related matters (Elektrizitätswirtschafts- und –organisationsgesetz – ElWOG, green electricity and water law).
ONZ, ONZ, KRAEMMER, HÜTTLER Rechtsanwälte GmbH
Binder Grösswang handles environmental, constitutional and administrative law as part of its regulatory services offering. Johannes Barbist, who is in charge of the group, represents clients in administrative proceedings and advises on the public law aspects of a wide variety of matters. The team has also guided several clients through Covid-19 related aid measures and regulations.
Other key lawyers:
‘Down to earth personnel, who consider the needs of each individual client and strategic purpose of the mandate.’
‘Very responsive, very pragmatic.’
‘The Team has great insight and knowledge of the Energy Sector. ’
‘Johannes Barbist is always accessible, incredibly reliable and the results are always of impeccable quality. Simply a great lawyer.’
‘Regina Kröll is very responsive, pragmatic, and commercial.’
‘Binder Grösswang Rechtsanwälte GmbH is a top player in Austria and has very good diversified teams, which include the relevant and necessary legal scope of a company. All partners and associates have very good technical and vocational skills.
- Advised ÖBB on various M&A transactions and projects (e.g. sale of rolling stock) in regard to competition law, public procurement law, state aid law and public administrative law.
- Advised AWS on public law and state aid law in connection with its new role for Covid-19 related aid measures.
Trade law, state aid and public construction law are among the focal points of the public law practice at CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH. Bernt Elsner is active in both state aid matters and administrative proceedings and Robert Keisler advises on the regulatory aspects of healthcare, logistics and tourism.
Bernt Elsner; Robert Keisler
‘High expertise in general administrative law and different special fields, excellent experience in public procedural law and administrative criminal proceedings as wall as public procurement law.’
Unser Ö-Bonus Club GmbH
Medical University of Vienna (Medizinische Universität Wien)
Österreichische Post AG
nöGIG and Breitbandholding
- Representing the Medical University of Vienna before administrative courts in respect of animal testing.
- Advising Feibra GmbH in Austria on the public law aspects of advertising distribution.
- Advising Unser Ö-Bonus Club on its card-supported loyalty programme (jö Bonus Card), including its partner network and extending the functionalities of the jö Bonus Card.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
The public and regulatory team at PwC Legal Austria-oehner & partner advises on environmental and planning law as well as public and administrative matters. Stefanie Werinos-Sydow and Sandra Kasper left the firm in 2021.
‘The team at PwC Legal Austria demonstrated great capabilities and an enormous commitment. Within a short time, specific legal issues were examined thoroughly and discussed with us as clients.’
‘Committed team, responsive, able to deliver solutions quickly, going the extra mile.’
‘Dr. Werinos-Sydow is very committed, has a good understanding of clients needs, brings good solutions, has a good network of experts, high client focus.’
Verbund Hydro Power GmbH
The practice at Saxinger, Chalupsky & Partners (SCWP Schindhelm) unites Hanno Liebmann and his Vienna-based public law team with Markus Nussbaumer's environmental group in Linz to provide a diverse array of legal services. Liebmann has additional knowledge of public law related to railways and tram lines, whereas Nussbaumer regularly advises on the environmental aspects of public projects.
Hanno Liebmann; Markus Nussbaumer
‘Specialist in national and European railway law, which is very rare.’
‘Very good cooperation. Conversation at eye level. Very friendly, courteous, helpful and professional.’
Federal State of Upper Austria
Schiene OÖ GmbH
Vienna Insurance Group
Wiener Städtische Versicherung
- Advising the Federal State of Upper Austria and Schiene OÖ GmbH on the planning, development, construction and operation of railway lines for regional transport in Upper Austria.
- Advising Federal State of Upper Austria and Schiene OÖ GmbH on the procurement of new rolling stock for future use in the region’s rail network.
- Advising the Federal State of Upper Austria on the development, and related environmental aspects, of a major road in Upper Austria.