Administrative law and public sector in Austria
Haslinger/Nagele & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH
The team at Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte) has a core focus on regulatory matters and advises on the full spectrum of public law ranging from constitutional, administrative and environmental law to energy, data protection and public private partnerships. The team has notable expertise in the life sciences, gaming, export, health services and telecoms sectors. Practice head Christian Schmelz focuses on environmental and construction law, frequently assisting with water, forestry and mining law. Bernd Rajal leads the projects and energy team and regularly advises on the implementation of the EU Third Energy Package. Counsel Günther Leissler has expertise in telecoms, data protection and data security; he leads the tech regulation group.
‘Schoenherr has an exemplary public law group and remains the most prominent name in the Austrian market. Over many years they have developed both strength and breadth in their services.’
‘Schoenherr’s public law group continues to impress us with their high quality of work and leading expertise in the whole range of public law including the fields of environment, infrastructure and industrial projects, energy, technology regulation (including data protection and telecommunications).’
‘Led by Christian Schmelz, they have stayed leaps and bounds ahead of their competition.’
‘Christian Schmelz is an outstanding lawyer and the leading expert in his field. He is at the forefront of new developments.’
Austrian Chamber of Commerce (Wirtschaftskammer Österreich)
Heizen mit Öl (“HmÖ”, an association of Austria’s oil industry)
Wiener Linien Gesellschaft m.b.H. & Co. KG
BRAMAC Dachsysteme International GmbH
Erste Bank der oesterreichischen Sparkassen AG
UniCredit Bank Austria AG
Association of Austrian Pharmacies (Apothekerkammer/Apothekerverband)
Autobahnen- und Schnellstraßen-Finanzierungs-AG (ASFINAG)
- Advised Erste Bank der Oesterreichischen Sparkassen AG (“Erste Bank”) on public law aspects relating to the introduction of a new telebanking and service-brokering platform.
- Representing Wiener Linien against the green electricity clearing and settlement agency in relation to green electricity tax payments.
- Advised UniCredit Bank Austria AG on public law aspects concerning the establishment of UniCredit Group’s Social Impact Banking in Austria.
bpv Hügel's public law practice has evolved from a focus on municipality advice and energy undertakings to include telecoms, state aid and environmental law. Practice heads Christian Schneider and Christian Macho have particular strength in environmental impact assessments, planning, zoning and waste management law. Schneider also represents clients in administrative procedures and assists them with planning and environment matters including waste management. Macho has an additional focus on real estate, construction and regional planning.
Christian Schneider; Christian Macho
‘Excellent level of service, very short response times, ability to rapidly grasp the relevant issues.’
‘Christian Schneider supports in complicated high value (administrative) court cases, but also gives very quick and reliable hands-on advice in the daily business.’
Mayer & Co GmbH
British American Tobacco
Austrian Chamber of Pharmacists
Marktgemeinde Maria Enzersdorf
St. Pölten (State Capital)
City of Vienna
Mobility fund of the City of Vienna
- Advised Mayer & Co GmbH on all aspects of environmental law with a particular focus on waste management law.
- Acting for British American Tobacco on all regulatory issues, with a particular focus on tobacco regulation (in particular packaging, approval of novel tobacco products, advertising).
- Assisting the city of St. Pölten with public law matters, including recently advising on the drafting of funding guidelines for investments by new enterprises.
Jointly headed by Hans Kristoferitsch and Stefan Huber, the team at Cerha Hempel covers all fields of public law, specifically regulated industries, environmental law, medical law, higher education law and consumer product regulation. Kristoferitsch is an expert in EU law who also undertakes EU litigation, while Huber assists with environmental and constitutional law issues. In the energy sector, the team advises on matters involving smart meters, wind farm operation and pricing zones. Associate Armin Schwabl has a particular focus on life sciences, pharmaceutical matters, data protection and trade law.
Hans Kristoferitsch; Stefan Huber
‘Armin Schwabl delivers a work product of excellent quality and always in time. He is also very flexible in adapting to the needs of the client.’
‘Stefan Huber is very cooperative and responded accurately to our demands.’
Republic of Austria (Ministry of Finance)
Austrian Power Grid AG (“APG”)
Graz University of Arts
Philip Morris Austria
Ingenium Education GmbH
SES Spar European Shopping Centers
Spar Österreichische Warenhandels-AG
German Alpine Association (Deutscher Alpenverein)
Vienna International Airport
KMU Akademie AG
Austrian Chamber of Pharmacists
- Representing the Republic of Austria in several state aid cases before the European Commission and the European Court.
- Representing the Austrian Power Grid AG (APG) in proceedings before the Energy Agency ACER and advising on network reserve.
- Advising the Austrian operator of all waterways, Via donau, on the implementation of a pan-European communication and logistics system.
Fellner Wratzfeld & Partners deals primarily with environmental law, for example with applications for industrial and business facility licences and the preparation of legal opinions and studies on alternative possibilities. The team also assists public sector clients with the implementation of environmentally relevant EU directives. Michael Hecht is the head of the public, environmental and planning practice. His personal work revolves around environmental due diligence, environmental impact assessments and PPPs. Clemens Gabriel provides key support, especially in real estate and state aid law matters.
UIV Urban Innovation Vienna GmbH
Donauturm Aussichtsturm- und Restaurantbetriebsgesellschaft m.b.H
Austro Control GmbH
BUWOG – Bauen und Wohnen Gesellschaft mbH
Wide range of property and project developer consortia
Province of Vorarlberg
Province of Lower Austria
- Advised UIV Urban Innovation Vienna GmbH on finding a location for a new multifunctional arena for staging concerts and sports events.
- Acted for the Province of Lower Austria on environmental impact assessment law matters regarding the construction of a connection road for the industrial area of Lower Austria Central.
- Advising Viadonau and the water boards represented by Viadonau on the environmental law aspects of the construction of flood protection structures along the Danube, March and Thaya rivers.
ONZ, ONZ, KRAEMMER, HÜTTLER Rechtsanwälte GmbH
Wolf Theiss Rechtsanwalte GmbH & CoKG advises on Austrian administrative and constitutional matters as well as EU law issues relating to life sciences, regulated industries and insurance supervisory matters, among others. Practice head Kurt Retter has additional experience of regulatory law in relation to medical devices, medicinal products and nutrition, also advising on gambling law, data protection, aviation and infrastructure projects. Senior associate Stefan Lampert is an expert in renewable energy and particularly wind energy, with his practice also involving nature conservation issues and environmental impact assessments.
‘Kurt Retter and Florian Kusznier are strong partners and accepted advisors in the pharma and medical device industry.’
DLH Real Estate Management
- Advising VGH Insurance on enforcing subordinated debt.
- Advising T-Mobile and Deutsche Telekom on the completion of the $2.2bn acquisition of UPC from Liberty Global.
In addition to covering traditional areas of public law, DORDA Rechtsanwaelte GmbH also assists with matters of trade and food law, product labelling and telecoms law. Department head Bernhard Müller has in-depth knowledge of life sciences, healthcare and the oil and gas sectors. The team is also active in planning and advises real estate developers on urban development projects.
‘Profound theoretical and practical knowledge and understanding of industry requirements.’
‘Practical and strategical thinking and approach.’
‘Excellent drafting skills with regard to structure and understanding of wording.’
‘Bernhard Müller and his team do great work combining good understanding of an international business.’
‘Bernhard Müller is a business minded, pragmatic expert in administrative proceedings and issues.’
N Green Mobility
EMMA Capital Ltd
CAME Holding GmbH
AZKA Group a.s
- Acted for Mjam on trade law and other public law-related matters including food labelling; the application of the Payment Services Act; debt collection and other trade law issues.
- Advised TK Maxx on trade licences and operating plant permits for the opening of new stores, product and food labelling, other food law issues, and the ban on plastic bags in Austria.
- Advised N Green Mobility on a pilot project to test an autonomous bus for passenger transport.
Eisenberger & Herzog
Eisenberger & Herzog has a core focus on regulated industries, including infrastructure, energy and banking and finance, advising clients on all aspects of public and administrative law. Practice head Georg Eisenberger handles a variety of projects relating to zoning, water protection and world heritage sites, among others. Klagenfurt-based Tatjana Katalan-Dworak advises on road and rail infrastructure, spatial planning and industrial plant operation.
Gemeinde Sölden/Wasserkraft Sölden
Vorarlberger Landes- und Hypothekenbank AG
Almdorf Bauträger GmbH
planquadr.at PRP GmbH
- Advising the City of Graz on the 52 hectare city development project “Reininghausgründe”.
- Assisting Gemeinde Sölden/Wasserkraft Sölden with hydroelectric power plants.
- Advising Vorarlberger Landes- und Hypothekenbank AG on legal remedies against contributions to the Single Resolution Fund (SRF).
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Herbst Kinsky Rechtsanwalte GmbH
Herbst Kinsky Rechtsanwalte GmbH primarily handles state aid, regulatory, energy and waste matters and has a 'profound knowledge in public law'. Practice head Christoph Herbst is a key name for public takeovers, energy law and financing for public entities. Stephan Lenzhofer advises on matters of general public law and more specifically, the financing of political parties.
‘Excellent law firm with excellent Partners.’
‘The firm has many years of experience and provides its clients with individual solutions.’
‘The team consists of extraordinarily committed lawyers with great experience in public law and European law.’
‘Stephan Lenzhofer is extremely competent, he is also very diligent and he has a very friendly and accessible manner.’
‘Christoph Wildmoser and Christoph Herbst both are true representatives of the firm’s culture. They are tough in negotiations but clearly not risking a deal for non-material issues.’
GIS – Gebühren Info Service GmbH
Leonardo Hotels – Fattal Group
Santhera Pharmaceuticals Holding
Kreditschutzverband von 1870
- Acting for GIS, a 100% affiliate of ORF (Austrian Broadcasting Corporation), in various proceedings related to VAT charges on ORF TV fees
- Advising Niederösterreichische Landesklinikenholding on several public law-related issues concerning hospitals in St. Pölten, Mistelbach and Neunkirchen.
- Assisted Leonardo Hotels with compliance matters relating to public laws, including construction law, trade law, anti-money laundering and registrations with public registers.
Niederhuber & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH
Niederhuber & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH's team is led by waste management law specialist Martin Niederhuber, project-related environmental law expert Peter Sander and Paul Reichel, who is well versed in nature conservation law. The team focuses on licensing and the ongoing management of industrial and operating facilities as well as energy and infrastructure projects. Associate David Suchanek is also active in waste management law, where he assists with representing energy and waste project applicants before courts and authorities.
Martin Niederhuber; Peter Sander; Paul Reichel
‘Outstanding knowledge of Austrian industrial and environmental law.’
‘Their comprehensive expertise and specialised knowledge in environmental law, public administrative law and zoning law, with particular knowledge of water resource law, conservation law and waste legislation, distinguishes the team at NHP from other firms.’
‘Martin Niederhuber, Peter Sander and Paul Reichelt are experienced and excellent lawyers specialised in public administrative law, zoning law and environmental law.’
VERBUND Hydro Power GmbH
Vereinigung der Österreichischen Zementwerke
Salzburger Flughafen GmbH
Loacker Recycling GmbH
ASFINAG Autobahnen- und Schnellstraßen-Finanzierungs-AG
WEB Windenergie AG
- Advising Verbund Hydro Power GmbH, one of the leading electricity companies in Austria, on the relevance of noise pollution in water law regarding a pump-storage power plant in Carinthia.
- Acting for the Association of the Austrian Cement Industry and its members (nine Austrian cement plants; Vereinigung der Österreichischen Zementindustrie) on all legal and strategic issues relating to environmental, antitrust, corporate and contract law.
- Advising the Salzburger Gebietskrankenkasse on matters relating to social security contributions for workers posted to other EU Member States.
PwC Legal Austria-oehner & partner launched a public and regulatory department in April 2019 following its merger with Werinos-Sydow & Nehajova Rechtsanwälte OG. Team head Stefanie Werinos-Sydow is supported by associate Theresa Karall, as well as senior associate Sandra Kasper, who was a new arrival from Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte) in July 2019. Werinos-Sydow advises on a variety of work including planning and permitting procedures for infrastructure projects and water usage and energy projects.
‘Stefanie Werinos-Sydow and her team have a deep understanding of our business needs in combination with great overall knowledge. Not only their professional skills are impressive but also their knowledge of our industry and the fast response times are extraordinary.’
‘For us Stefanie Werinos-Sydow is more than a lawyer. She acts and counsels as if she is a part of the company and we trust her ability to think outside the box.’
‘Stefanie Werinos-Sydow has always exceeded our expectations. Regardless of the complexity and scale she handles all cases with the same determination and legal perfection. She has a highly analytical mind and has the ability to explain every matter in a comprehensible manner.’
Binder Grösswang applies a multi-disciplinary approach to its administrative and public law practice, frequently collaborating with partners from corporate, banking and finance, real estate and litigation teams. The team is led by Johannes Barbist, an expert in energy and state aid law. The firm's service portfolio includes environmental law, trade licences and other authorisations to secure market access for companies and their products.
‘Very competent and experienced team. Always responsive which makes it easy to integrate their expertise in international transactions.’
‘Johannes Barbist and his team are extremely supportive and competent.’
Sandoz / Novartis
Österreichs E-Wirtschaft Service GmbH
Bristol Meyers Squibb
- Conducted a public law due diligence exercise for the Daikin Group relating to its acquisition of the AHT Group.
- Conducted a public law due diligence exercise for the Mayr-Melnhof Group relating to its acquisition of Tann Group.
- Advising Renault Austria on an ongoing basis.
CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH's public law practice is jointly led by Bernt Elsner and Robert Keisler. The former regularly represents clients in administrative and constitutional court proceedings and the latter acts for clients in the healthcare, construction, logistics and tourism industries. Areas of expertise include trade law, state aid, construction and commercial law, industrial plant construction and data protection.
Bernt Elsner; Robert Keisler
‘Very competent and effective in all fields of law.’
Unser Ö-Bonus Club GmbH
Österreichische Post AG
Medizinische Universität Wien
Hel-Wacht Holding GmbH
- Advising Bird Rides on the launch of electric scooter rental service in Vienna.
- Acted for Unser Ö-Bonus Club GmbH on all aspects regarding the setting up of a loyalty scheme including regulatory issues (e.g. trade law, financial market issues, money laundering, data protection).
- Representing the Österreichische Post AG in the Federal Administrative Court and the Administrative Court of Justice in a dispute with the postal market surveillance authority regarding universal postal services.
Saxinger, Chalupsky & Partners (SCWP Schindhelm) advises on a range of industrial projects, including on raw material extractions and waste treatment facilities. Department head Hanno Liebmann has core expertise in transport related public law, particularly railway as well as tram line infrastructure. Markus Nussbaumer is in charge of the integrated environmental law practice, specialising in environmental audits and change of land use procedures.
‘They understand how to present complex legal matters in a client-friendly way.’
‘Hanno Liebmann always provides top legal services. He is always there when you need him and is always ready to work out solutions. He stands out within the team, on both a personal and a professional level, but is also an excellent team player when he works with clients and other experts.’
ASFiNAG Autobahnen- und Schnellstraßen-Finanzierungs-AG
Soravia Group and Soravia Equity GmbH
Kepler Universitätsklinikum GmbH
State of Upper Austria and Upper Austrian Traffic Association
Schiene OÖ GmbH and Upper Austrian Traffic Association
ABBAG – Abbaumanagementgesellschaft des Bundes
Salzburg AG für Energie, Verkehr und Telekommunikation
Knorr-Bremse Group and Dr. tech. Josef Zelisko GmbH
Vienna Insurance Group and Wiener Städtische Versicherung AG
I.K. Hofmann GmbH
Stern & Hafferl VerkehrsgmbH and Linzer Lokalbahn AG
Viega GmbH & Co KG
Asamer Kies- und Betonwerke GmbH
AMAG service GmbH
ABW Abbruch, Boden- und WasserreinigungsgmbH und Altlastensanierung und Abraumdeponie Langes Feld GmbH
NEC Deutschland GmbH
Helmut Uhrig Straßen- und Tiefbau GmbH
Energie AG Oberösterreich
- Advising Asfinag AG on controversial procurement issues arising from the redevelopment of the longest road tunnel in Austria.
- Acting for Soravia Group and Soravia Equity GmbH on its successful bid for a public tender regarding the new HQ for Austria’s air traffic control agency.
- Assisting the province of Upper Austria and the transport association with the redevelopment of regional railway lines.