Corporate and M&A in Australia
The team at Allens attracts many of the largest and most complex mandates emanating from the gamut of sectors and industries. Guy Alexander and Tom Story are the team heads who offer extensive expertise on public M&A and have led the advice on deals worth tens of billions in areas as diverse as power and natural resources to media and retail sectors. This is one of the largest teams in Australia with some 28 partners including the highly experienced Richard Kriedemann. Kylie Brown's expertise includes transactions in the media and infrastructure areas; she counts Twenty-First Century Fox among her clients and Vijay Cujati's M&A expertise is combined with his experience dealing with regulators.
Guy Alexander; Tom Story
Cheung Kong Infrastructure
First State Super
Uber BV and affiliates
- Advised Rio Tinto on the series of divestments of its coal assets in Queensland for a combined consideration of A$4.15bn.
- Advising Brambles on the sale of its IFCO business to a consortium of Triton and the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority following a dual track separation process which consisted of running a competitive trade sale, while in parallel, preparing the IFCO business for a demerger by way of scheme of arrangement with subsequent listing on the LSE and ASX. The matter was valued at A$3.52bn.
- Advised Investa Office Fund on its response to competing takeover proposals from the Oxford Properties Group and Blackstone Real Estate. IOF was ultimately acquired by Oxford by a trust scheme acquisition for A$3.4bn.
- Advised APN Outdoor Group on its acquisition by global advertising giant JCDecaux for A$1.1 bn.
- Advised BAE Systems on its involvement in the Commonwealth’s A$35bn Hunter class frigate shipbuilding programme for the Royal Australian Navy, the second-largest defence procurement in Australian history.
Gilbert + Tobin
Gilbert + Tobin is considered to have a 'standout' corporate practice. It is headed by Costas Condoleon and Neil Pathak who have led on some of the market-leading transactions and Pathak is also a member of the Takeovers Panel. Of the 29 partners, Peter Cook is recognised as one of Australia's pre-eminent corporate lawyers, who is equally in demand for his private equity and capital markets experience. Rachael Bassil, Craig Semple and John Williamson-Noble are also some of the most experienced partners who handle transactions with a blend of mergers or acquisitions, ASX listings, IPOs and capital raisings. The group is also known for its experience of private equity/private M&A transactions.
Costas Condoleon; Neil Pathak
‘Craig Semple is commercial, pragmatic and available – I would absolutely recommend highly.’
CHAMP Private Equity
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Investa Commercial Property Fund
Quadrant Private Equity
- Advising the Dulux Group on Nippon Paint’s $4.2bn proposal to acquire it by scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Graincorp on the approach by Long-Term Asset Partners to acquire all of the shares on issue in GrainCorp by way of a scheme of arrangement. The deal had an enterprise value of $3.3bn.
- Advising a consortium led by BGH Capital on its proposed $2.3bn acquisition of global education group Navitas by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Continuing to advised KKR on its $2bn acquisition of MYOB by scheme of arrangement.
- Advising Jacobs Engineering Group Inc on the Australian aspects of its sale of its energy, chemicals and resources division to WorleyParsons Limited for A$4.6bn.
Herbert Smith Freehills
The outstanding Herbert Smith Freehills team is lauded not only for having the capability to deal with complicated, cross-border deals but also for the level of co-ordination it can provide. The group is entrusted with many transformative deals including three of the largest financial services demergers in the market. A talented team includes Tony Damian in Sydney and Baden Furphy in Melbourne, the latter was a lead adviser to Westfarmers on the demerger of a number of the Coles businesses. Also in Melbourne, Rodd Levy is an acknowledged leader in areas such as takeovers and schemes of arrangement and has been a long serving member of the Takeovers Panel. Rebecca Maslen-Stannage has handled a number of high-profile deals including leading a team on the proposed TPG merger with Vodafone Hutchison Australia. Robert Nicholson has a focus on the energy, resources and infrastructure areas and Philippa Stone is well known for her breadth of talent; public company M&A, privatisations, equity and hybrid raisings and corporate reconstructions. Senior associate Kam Jamshidi is highlighted for his abilities in handling cross-border transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good strategic thinking, very responsive and excellent understanding of the relevant laws. Able to deal with complex cross-border issues and coordinate advice covering multiple jurisdictions.’
‘Rodd Levy has an excellent strategic approach to problem solving. Always focused on client objectives and is very responsive and has a strong ability to deal with complex issues and find a solution.’
‘Senior associate Kam Jamshidi is an excellent lawyer who has a good commercial understanding of client objectives. He can manage complex cross jurisdictional matters and delivers excellent and timely advice. Always on top of the detail and can provide succinct high quality legal work.’
BHP Group Ltd (formerly BHP Billiton Ltd) (BHP)
TPG Telecom Limited
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
New South Treasury
National Australia Bank
Suncorp Group Limited
Allianz Worldwide Partners Australia
Australia and New Zealand Banking Group
National Bank of Australia / National Australia Bank
Virgin Australia Airlines Pty Ltd
- Advised Wesfarmers on the demerger of Coles’ supermarkets, retail liquor and convenience store businesses from Wesfarmers. The demerger involved a complex corporate restructure, a scheme of arrangement and listing of Coles on the ASX. The matter has a value of A$19bn.
- Acting for Amcor in relation to a scheme of arrangement between Amcor and its shareholders to create a new holding company, Amcor plc, in order to effect the combination of Amcor and Bemis Company Inc. The combined group will have a primary listing on NYSE and a foreign exempt listing on the ASX.
- Advised BHP on the sale of its entire portfolio of onshore US oil and gas assets to a wholly owned subsidiary of BP plc, for a cash consideration totalling US$10.8bn.
- Advising Australia’s largest bank, CBA, on the A$4.13bn sale of its global asset management business, Colonial First State Global Asset Management, to Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation.
- Advising TPG on its high-profile merger with Vodafone Hutchison Australia. If completed, the deal would establishing Australia’s leading challenger full-service telecommunications provider.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons is a go-to firm for large-scale Australian and wider Asian deals with the added attraction of having a PRC practice. Its work includes billion-dollar transactions in the transport, retail and energy sectors in addition to a flow of mid-market deals. The team leaders are; head of public M&A, David Friedlander; Evie Bruce who is a managing partner and an M&A and finance specialist; fellow managing partner Renae Lattey and Mark McNamara, the well-known head of private equity. Jason Watts has led teams on some of the most high-profile transactions including those involving Westfield, Healius and PAG Asia. Senior associate Jennifer Cheung is highly regarded for her corporate and listings expertise.
David Friedlander; Evie Bruce; Renae Lattey
‘The KWM team are always ready to help at short notice. Typically they are willing to give a quick answer over the phone followed by a more in-depth e-mail advice as needed. The responsiveness is what makes the difference, particularly in a listed environment.’
‘Jason Watts stands out as a partner who has been keen to develop and deepen his understanding of our business, and the way it has changed, over a number of years. Jason has shown flexibility and adaptability in the way he has responded to operational and cultural changes.’
‘Jennifer Cheung is an excellent senior associate who has repeatedly delivered good quality advice to our business on short turnaround times. Her work in assisting us to comply with complex listing rules applications and annual report (and remuneration report) requirements has been first class.’
‘Jason Watts is super responsive and very aware of the particular sensitivities of our business, the sector and the big picture.’
Brookfield Business Partners
Lion Pty Ltd
BHP / South32
National Australia Bank
National Australia Bank
- Advised Fairfax on its merger by way of scheme of arrangement, with Nine Entertainment.
- Advised leading Australian infrastructure entity, APA Group, on all aspects of the acquisition proposal received from the CKI consortium valued at A$12.98bn.
- A multi-disciplinary team advised Brookfield Business Partners on its on its A$5.71bn takeover offer (structured as a dual track scheme of arrangement and conditional takeover offer) to acquire Healthscope.
- Advising the Australian healthcare group Healius on its response to a $2bn takeover offer from the Chinese conglomerate Jangho, who holds a 16% shareholding in Healius.
- Advised Macquarie on the sale of its interest in Property Exchange Australia to a consortium comprising Link Group, CBA and Morgan Stanley. The matter was valued at A$1.6bn.
Ashurst's 'collegiate' team offers international reach in combination with its national breadth of offering. In addition to its reputation acting on large-scale infrastructure projects, it also attracts mandates in diverse areas including financial services, real estate and technology together with work instigated by private equity houses. Elspeth Arnold, who has long-standing expertise in equity raisings as well as M&A and corporate governance, heads the group; Mark Stanbridge counts the likes of Bain Capital, Deutsche Bank and the Downer Group among his clients and senior associate Samantha Robson is experienced in transactions in the energy and infrastructure spaces. Phil Breden's expertise spans public M&A and capital markets work - his clients include European- and US-based corporates. Other well-regarded team members include Bruce Macdonald and the 'fantastic' Anton Harris. The group has been enhanced with the addition of Greg Golding who has a track record advising on contested public company takeovers, reconstructions and capital raisings and Rob Hanley who brings many years of corporate expertise from Seyfarth Shaw LLP in London.
Other key lawyers:
‘We find that Ashurst will accurately resource our matters with one partner pretty much being the face of the firm rather than bringing a team of lawyers to meetings and phone calls.’
‘Bruce Macdonald and Jonathan Gordon provide focused contextual targeted advice with accessibility and timeliness.’
‘One of their key strengths is their ability to conduct crucial aspects of transactions in a streamlined and targeted fashion which requires a strong understanding of our commercial intentions and key legal concerns. What makes Ashurst unique is they have the capability to understand commercial drivers, pressures and strategic objectives without over-complicating their advice.’
‘Bruce Macdonald, Samantha Robson, Molly Woods and a broader team are all good operators and were very helpful during our various projects and could be relied upon to provide practical legal advice that led to the success of the deal.’
‘Ashurst have a collegial team, I can see that they regularly speak and genuinely interact with each other.’
Resolution Life Group
Bank of China Limited
Lend Lease Corporation
NBN Co Limited
- Advising KKR, Värde and Deutsche as consortium owners of Latitude Financial Services (the former GE Money business) in relation to its proposed IPO (with an acquisition enterprise value of A$8.2bn).
- Advising AIA Group on its acquisition of the Commonwealth Bank’s life insurance businesses in Australia and New Zealand for A$3.8bn.
- Advising Oxford Properties Group in relation to the acquisition of 100% of the units in Investa Office Fund by trust scheme. This had a A$3.45bn deal value.
- Advising Navitas Limited in relation to the revised non-binding and conditional proposal received from the BGH consortium to acquire 100% of the outstanding shares in Navitas by way of a scheme of arrangement for A$2.1bn.
- Advising the Victorian Government on the sale of its 29% share in Snowy Hydro Limited to the Commonwealth Government for A$2.077bn.
Clayton Utz's impressive client roster ranges from major Australian corporates to foreign investors and global private equity houses. Rory Moriarty heads the corporate, M&A and capital markets practice group and was appointed to the Takeovers Panel in 2018. This hugely experienced team includes Jonathan Algar in Sydney, Andrew Hay in Brisbane, and Andrew Walker in Melbourne, who is leading on a number of high-profile transactions. Newly-made-up partners Samy Mansour and Liz Humphry, together with the seasoned Rod Halstead, handle complex transactions in conjunction with banking and finance, tax, competition and other specialists.
Origin Energy Limited
NSW – Department of Transport
New Hope Corporation Limited
Woolworths Group Limited
Blackstone Real Estate Australia Limited
Charter Hall Holdings Pty Limited
EMR Capital GP1 Limited as general part
MYOB Group Limited
NSW – Ministry of Health
Pacific Equity Partners Pty Limited
Emergent Cold LLC
Liberty OneSteel Pte Ltd
Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu
Simplot Australia Pty Limited
Senex Energy Limited
Alcoa of Australia Ltd
My FootDr (Aust) Pty Ltd
- Advised a consortium of sellers led by Brookfield and Macquarie on the $2.15bn sale of Quadrant Energy to Santos Limited.
- Advised a major private equity house on its all cash proposal to acquire Investa Office Fund, an ASX listed company that is part of the Investa Property Group. The deal had a value of A$3.4bn.
- Advised MYOB on its highly anticipated take private by KKR which involved a market first “go shop” provision and the first activist hedge fund role in an Australian takeover/scheme.
- Advised the Woolworths Group on the sale of its fuel business and 540 fuel convenience sites to EG Group for A$1.72bn following a competitive sale process.
- Advised the newly formed fund management entity, Long Term Asset Partners on its initial A$2.4bn takeover bid to acquire and privatise GrainCorp.
An 'extremely strong' corporate team at Minter Ellison acts for an impressive range of ASX-listed clients. It handles takeovers, schemes of arrangement and joint ventures and private M&A matters – hostile and unsolicited bids and corporate governance. This is combined with expertise in areas such as regulatory and tax and provides its domestic and international clients with a full-service offering. The 'highly commercial and pragmatic' Jeremy Blackshaw co-heads the practice with Constantine Boulougouris who counts the likes of oOh!media and CIMIC among his clients. John Steven is a seasoned corporate and securities expert, while the well-known Bart Oude-Vrielink acts for a range of domestic and international clients including financial institutions, and Ben Liu is also noted for both public and private M&A.
Jeremy Blackshaw; Constantine Boulougouris
‘The Corporate M&A team is extremely strong – supported by great specialists, particularly the competition team, and are very easy to deal with.’
‘Jeremy Blackshaw is not only one of the best corporate M&A lawyers in Australia, he does it with humility and is highly effective in both negotiations and before corporate boards. Jeremy is very much the trusted adviser in this space.’
‘The team has a depth of talent, all of whom provide commercial, pragmatic and expedient advice. There are a number of members of the team to whom I could put in a call and receive advice.’
‘Jeremy Blackshaw is a highly experienced practitioner who has built a strong and capable team around him. He takes a highly commercial and pragmatic approach.’
‘Stephen Clarke and Steven Wang are tireless workers, both with an exceptional eye for detail and ability to manage a number of streams of work effortlessly.’
CIMIC Group Limited
Sigma Healthcare Limited
Viva Energy Australia Pty Ltd
GreenLit Brands (formerly Steinhoff Asia Pacific)
- Advised CDH Investments and China Grand Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Holdings Limited on their A$1.90bn joint takeover of ASX listed Sirtex Medical Limited.
- Advised oOh!media on its acquisition of Adshel for a total consideration of A$570m.
- Advised Airlie Funds Management Pty Limited on the complex negotiation of the sale of Airlie Funds Management to Magellan Financial Group and associated retention of key personal of Airlie in the subsequent employ of Magellan.
- Advising Jangho Group Co Ltd in relation to all aspects of its proposed A$2bn takeover of Healius.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP advises a broad range of Australian and overseas clients on acquisitions and investments into Australia. In addition to its key APAC position, a strong Perth team handles an impressive stream of energy/resources-related transactions. Aaron Kenavan heads the team from Sydney and Geoff Simpson spearheads the work in Perth. Michael Parshall is a key advisor; Michael Reede focuses on TMT-related work and Jamie Palmer handles private equity mandates.
China Resources Group
Fortescue Metals Group
China Pioneer Pharma Holdings Ltd
- Advised PEXA, as principal legal adviser on its successful A$1.6bn dual track IPO/trade sale process.
- Advised EG Group Limited on its A$1.725bn acquisition of the Woolworths petrol business from Woolworths Group Limited, which signed and was announced to ASX on 9 November 2018.
- Advised Asia Pacific Healthcare Investments (a joint venture between China Resources and Macquarie Capital) on the sale of a stake in Genesis Care (an Australian healthcare company) to KKR.
- Advised the Thai national oil company PTTEP on the sale of its 100% interest and operatorship in the producing Montara oil project offshore Australia.
- Advising Ardian’s buyout fund on its acquisition of a majority stake in Study Group from Providence Equity Partners.
Based in Melbourne and Sydney respectively, Richard Lustig heads the M&A group and Ben McLaughlin leads the corporate markets function at Baker McKenzie. McLaughlin is also the global head of the firm's healthcare offering and Steven Glanz works with the team on all aspects of corporate finance. The team is known for its skilled handling of multi-jurisdictional work; acting on public and private mergers and acquisitions involving the Asia Pacific market and beyond.
Richard Lustig; Ben McLaughlin
Other key lawyers:
‘BM Australia’s corporate and M&A practice is superb. The advice is always succinct and to the point and delivered the services smoothly and seamlessly.’
‘Ben McLaughlin has always been in the centre of the deals. He is an excellent practitioner and the experienced negotiator at the same time; whenever there was a critical point of the deal, he was the one who jumped in and tried to solve the problem fairly. What’s more, he is the person who cares. I greatly appreciate his efforts as well as his talents.’
Mitsubishi UFJ Trust Banking Corporation
Australian Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
Pact Group Holdings Limited
Candent Singapore Pte Ltd
Bookings Holdings Inc
Daiwa House Industry Co Ltd
Bunka Shutter Co Ltd
Mantra Group Limited
- Advised Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation on its A4.13bn acquisition of the global asset management division (Colonial First State Global Asset Management) from the Commonwealth Bank of Australi.
- Advised Australian Pharmaceutical Industries Limited on its $127.4m million staged acquisition of the Clearskincare clinics and products business from founder, Dr Philippa McCaffery, business partner Alarna Longes and multiple minority vendors.
- Advised Pact Group Holdings Limited on the A152m (including earn-out payments of up to $30m) acquisition of TIC Group Pty Ltd’s garment hanger and tag manufacturing business from its shareholders. The matter involved operations in Asian and UK jurisdictions.
- Acted for the target company, Candent Singapore Pte. Ltd (a former portfolio company of CHAMP Private Equity), and its shareholders in the divestment of the Container chain portfolio companies toWiseTech Global.
- Advised Booking Holdings Inc (through SPV KAYAK Software Australia Pty Ltd) on the acquisition of Hotels Combined Pty Ltd from the founder vendors.
Sandy Mak, who heads the Corrs Chambers Westgarth group, has long-standing experience advising on corporate transactions for domestic and global clients including private equity investments. Other core team members including Andrew Lumsden, who also co-chairs the China business group, and Justin Fox, who has some 25 years of experience with particular expertise in the media and digital sectors. Adam Foreman, who joined from Clayton Utz in 2018, has a background acting for clients in the media and finance sectors, while 'great problem solver' Robert Clarke focuses on acting for financial sponsors. Fadi Khoury brings an outstanding reputation when acting on any matters involving funds.
‘Exceptional technical lawyers that are also very commercially astute. They know what is important and what is not at all times along the journey of a transaction and are very diplomatic.’
‘The team, led by Fadi managed an extremely challenging transaction for us with very a difficult counterparty. The team cohesiveness, work ethic, attention to detail and ability to generate consensus to achieve the desired outcomes was outstanding. We look forward to working with Fadi and his team as we grow continue to grow our business.’
‘Justin Fox and Robert Clarke of the Melbourne office essentially smoothed the path for us. They understood our circumstances and articulated them well. They are also prepared to offer a reasonable fee quote with clear scope of work.’
‘Robert Clarke is particularly good. he has a great ability to put himself in the client shoes and not over-lawyer. Very personable, highly intelligent and articulate. Great problem solver. Commercially savvy. Great level of client service.’
Macquarie Corporate Holdings
Certis CISCO Security
Bullseye Mining Limited
AJ Lucas Group
Apollo Global Management
Adelaide Brighton Limited
- Acted for the US private equity fund Warburg Pincus and its portfolio company ESR on the acquisition of a significant 18.06% stake in ASX-listed REIT Propertylink Group through an overnight market raid. A matter valued at A$723m.
- Advised Wesfarmers on the sale of its Kmart Tyre and Auto Service business to Continental AG for A$350m.
- Advised Macquarie Capital on its acquisition from Investa Commercial Property Fund of a 50% stake in Investa Office Management Holdings Pty Limited, the holding company of the A$11bn Investa office property management platform, operated by Investa Office Management Pty Limited.
- Advising French private equity fund Unigestion SA in its cornerstone role in a consortium managed by Liverpool Partners, a Sydney-based investment manager and including Adamantem Capital to acquire ASX-listed home care and allied healthcare provider Zenitas Healthcare Limited in a take-private transaction.
With offices across Australia and a partner-centric approach, Johnson Winter & Slattery provides domestic and overseas clients with the full range of M&A, corporate and restructuring services. The practice is headed by Jeremy Davis; Damian Reichel has extensive experience of large-scale transactions including those involving sovereign wealth funds; James Rozsa undertakes M&A and private equity matters. The notable Perth-based Paul Vinci and Justin Harris have acted on a number of key deals in the resources sector.
‘Justin Harris and Paul Vinci are both excellent lawyers . Very responsive and give great attention to detail.’
- Acted for mining services company Ausdrill on the complex acquisition of the Australian underground hard rock contractor Barminco. The deal value was equivalent to an enterprise value of A$697m.
- Advised Gazal Corporation on its proposed scheme of arrangement with PVH Corp. Under the arrangement, a wholly owned subsidiary of PVH proposes to acquire certainn shares in Gazal. The matter had a total enterprise value of Total enterprise value of over A$38m.
- Advised long standing client, Total, on all aspects of a transaction in which Total signed an agreement to divest 4% of its participating interests in the Ichthy project to operating partner INPEX, for an overall consideration of $1.6bn.
- Acted on behalf Archer Capital and the Aerocare management team on the sale of the Aerocare business to Swissport, a global cargo and aircraft ground handling provider.
- Acted for the Dalian Wanda Group in the A$1.13 million sale of Wanda Australia Commercial Properties Pty Ltd, the ultimate owner of Wanda Dalian Group’s Australian real estate/hotel projects, to AWH Investment Group Pty Ltd, part of the Yuhu Group. The matter had an overall value of over A$1bn.
Norton Rose Fulbright is known for its global capabilities; in addition to acting of Australia-based companies, it advises incoming investors and private equity houses. It is especially active in the resources and energy markets in addition to a focus on the telecoms, life sciences and financial services sectors. It has experienced a turnover of personnel and this year has recruited a number of new lawyers, especially in the Perth office. Richard Lewis and Alison Deitz head the group from Sydney and the highly experienced John Elliott, also based in Sydney, has led on a number of high-value transactions. Shaun Clyne also offers many years of experience on public M&A and Adam Edelman heads the Perth office. Effective July 2020, Deitz will become the Australia managing partner.
Richard Lewis; Alison Deitz
Other key lawyers:
John Ellliott; Shaun Clyne
‘The team is dedicated and has great expertise, are timely in responding to emails and queries and complete work to a high standard. Very dependable and proactive in their approach to work. Personable and professional lawyers go the extra mile in the way that they approach work.’
Vodafone Hutchison Australia Pty Ltd
Cliffs Asia Iron Ore Pty Ltd
Tiger Resources Ltd
Downer EDI Works Pty Ltd
The Hammon Family
Nature’s Care/ Wu Family
Longmoat Pty Ltd
Golden Energy and Resources
- Advising Vodafone Hutchison Australia on its $15bn merger with TPG. This was a proposed scheme of arrangement acquisition.
- Acted for the vendor, Ferrier Hodgson on the acquisition of its Australian business by KPMG.
- Advised the founders of Nature’s Care and other shareholders on the sale of a majority interest in Nature’s Care to a consortium of Chinese buyers. The deal completed following the receipt of a number of regulatory approvals.
- Advised Australian-founded Avoka, a leader in digital customer acquisition and on boarding on its A$339m acquisition by Swiss Exchange listed banking software company Temenos AG.
- A cross-border team led by the Australian office advised POSCO on its $280m acquisition of a package of Argentinean lithium tenements from Australian lithium miner Galaxy Resources Ltd.
Arnold Bloch Leibler
With deep roots in Melbourne, the 'unique' Arnold Bloch Leibler practice is led by Jonathan Wenig and Jeremy Leibler. Its client roster is made up of listed and private companies and high-net-worth entrepreneurs, many of whom have relied on the practice for some decades. It is known for its skills on complex or novel corporate and finance transactions which do not necessarily carry a big price tag. Jeremy Lanzer and Christine Fleer are also recommended for their breadth of expertise.
Jonathan Wenig; Jeremy Leibler
‘ABL have the resources and ability to be a one stop shop, their corporate, tax and litigation teams are superb.’
‘The team at ABL go above and beyond.’
‘The Corporate Finance-M&A team at ABL is unique – certainly in comparison to international peers. Their knowledge of capital markets, international listing rules beyond Australia and common sense provides a special blend. The team seems to find and train capable associates willing to put in the hours.’
‘Jeremy Leibler is a thoughtful and calculated professional, frequently willing to seek solutions befitting unique situations. He does not shy away to put in the additional hours required. Highly recommended.’
Medical Properties Trust
Rudy Koh, Managing Director and major shareholder, Phileo Australia Limited
Specialty Fashion Group
Punthill Apartment Hotels
Apotex International Inc
Icon Co Pty Ltd
Merlon Capital Partners
- Acted for Medical Properties Trust on the acquisition of $1.25-$2.5bn of hospitals from Australian private hospital operator Healthscope.
- Advised Nufarm Limited on its agreement to acquire a portfolio of European crop protection products from Adama Agricultural Solutions and Syngenta Crop Protection for US$490m.
- Advising privately owned group Dial-a-Dump Industries in relation to the sale of the group to ASX-listed Bingo Industries for $577.5m.
- Acted as a strategic adviser for Premier Investments in relation to a proxy campaign against Myer to issue a ‘second strike’ at its AGM (which was successful) after having run a similar campaign at the previous year’s AGM.
From its Sydney and Perth offices, Clifford Chance's Australian lawyers are often involved in complex multi-jurisdictional energy, natural resources and other global transactions. It also assists foreign investors including with FIRB issues. The team is headed by Andrew Crook and Lance Sacks who offer expertise in complex mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, private treaty transactions and a range of fund raisings. Nadia Kalic is noted for her broad experience in the natural resources and energy sectors.
Andrew Crook; Lance Sacks
Other key lawyers:
Royal Dutch Shell
Order-In Global Infrastructure
Partners led consortium
- Advised global fashion business, PVH Corp on its proposed acquisition of 100% of Gazal Corporation Limited by scheme of arrangement. Gazal is PVH’s joint venture partner in Australia, New Zealand and other parts of Oceania.
- Advised ProTen on its 100% acquisition by FSS Agriculture 2 Pty Ltd (owned by First State Superannuation via a scheme of arrangement to be implemented under a binding scheme implementation deed.
- Advised the Carlyle Group on its acquisition of 100% of the Accolade Wines Group.
- Advised China Jianyin Investment Limited, JIC Huawen Investment Limited and Tamar Alliance Capital (the Consortium) on the acquisition of a majority stake in Australia’s leading vitamins and supplements business, Nature’s Care. A deal valued at A$800m.
- Advised Royal Dutch Shell on the sale of its shares in Woodside, a deal valued at A$3.5bn.
DLA Piper serves a broad range of domestic and international clients on public and private M&A deals and works with its US-, Middle East- and Asia-based colleagues when assisting global clients. It has attracted high-value work in the technology sector acting for fintech companies in addition to attracting mandates in areas such as insurance and natural resources. Grant Koch, David Ryan and Lyndon Masters are the leading partners and the team has grown substantially with the recruitment of five corporate lawyers from Norton Rose Fulbright.
‘A strong team which has been a consistent performer for our business. Great with corporate transactions and those involving a tech/start-up element. DLA’s corporate team are a go-to for our organisation for these kinds of transactions and offer a service which exceeds those of its peers.’
‘Lyndon Masters is a stand-out performer. A diligent, calm and focused professional, he is an asset to the DLA team.’
PEXA (Consortium comprising Link Group,
Commonwealth Bank of Australia and
Morgan Stanley Infrastructure)
BEWG International (Beijing Enterprise
Water Group International)
Morrison & Co
Global Payments Inc.
Atlas Iron Limited
Alliance Mineral Assets Limited
Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Company Limited
Suncorp Group Limited
Gazal Corporation Limited
Massive Interactive Inc
Australian Football League
Riversdale Resources Limited
Pacific Equity Partners
- Advised a consortium comprising Link Group, ommonwealth Bank of Australia and Morgan Stanley Infrastructure on its A$1.6bn acquisition of digital property conveyancing company, Property Exchange Australia Limited.
- Advised Australian online travel business Webjet Limited on its A$240m purchase of UAE- based Destinations of the World and related fully underwritten entitlement offer.
- Advised BEWG International, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Beijing Enterprises Water Group, on its 100% acquisition of water utility service provider TRILITY by way of a competitive bid process.
- Advising Laureate Education the largest global network of higher education institutions, on the sale of private higher education group MSA.
- Advised Morrison & Co on the competitive bid process and the formal transition of its appointment as manager of Utilities Trust of Australia, a matter valued at A$6bn.
Based in Brisbane, the McCullough Robertson practice is the leading practice in Queensland. It is headed by Damien Clarke and Reece Walker and offers a full service to clients in areas including energy, food and agribusiness, financial services. It has been increasingly engaged in the natural resources and mining sectors for clients such as New Hope Corporation, Whitehaven Coal and Sojitz Corporation. Ben Mortimer is based in Sydney and focuses on the banking and finance areas; John Kettle has huge experience advising both Australian and overseas clients on complex transactions.
Damien Clarke; Reece Walker
‘They are dedicated and cool under pressure. Solid legal advice but with a good commercial understanding of our business and drivers.’
‘Peter Williams lead our deal and helped to get through what became quite complex issues with difficult aspects to navigate in a tight time frame.’
Australian Maritime Systems Group Limited
Elliott Advisors Group
New Hope Corporation
Macadamia Processing Co Ltd
Over the Wire Holdings
River City Labs
Rural Funds Management Limited
- Advised New Hope Corporation on acquisitions related to the Bengalla Coal Mine in New South Wales, at a value of just under A$1 billion.
- Advised Viralytics Limited on its acquisition by Merck & Co (Merck Sharp & Dohme outside of North America) with a deal value of A$502m.
- Advised DoseMe and its Australian shareholders on the negotiation and sale of shares to Tabula Rasa Health Care.
- Advised Sojitz on its acquisition of the Gregory Crinum Coal Mine from the BHP Mitsubishi Alliance, including negotiating the transaction and complex funding documents.
- Advised Rural Funds Management Limited on the acquisition of 100% of the issued capital in J&F Australia Pty Ltd, a matter valued at A$25.0m
Headed by Jeremy Smith in Melbourne and Lionel Hogg in Brisbane, Gadens Lawyers handles a range of mid-market transactions including private equity-driven deals involving listed and private companies and advises on related foreign inbound investments and regulatory matters. Jol Rogers in Melbourne and Edward Nixey in Sydney are other senior partners who advise international and domestic clients on a range of corporate and capital markets matters.
Jeremy Smith; Lionel Hogg
‘They provide access to subject matter experts across many aspects of the law.’
‘The individuals we work with have a solution mindset and provide practical and realist advice to achieve the best out come for our business.’
Group Pty Ltd 1
Kathmandu Holding Limited
Made Aust Group Pty Ltd
Marand Precision Engineering
OCJ Investment (Australia) Pty Ltd
The Citadel Group
Tipple Group Holdings Pty Ltd
TRT Pastoral Group
- Acted for Tim Roberts of Thomson’s TRT Pastoral Group in the sale of Juanbung and Boyong stations in western New South Wales to The Nature Conservatory, valued at A$60m.
- Advised OCJ Investment (Australia) Pty Ltd on its successful application to the Takeovers Panel for a declaration of “unacceptable circumstances” in relation to the affairs of Flinders Mines Ltd of which the client was a 22% shareholder.
- Advised Made Aust Pty Ltd (Made Group) and its shareholders on a combined acquisition by Coca-Cola Amatil and The Coca-Cola Company of 45% of the Made Group.
- Advised Tipple Group Holdings Pty Ltd on the sale of 51% of its shares to 7-Eleven.
- Advised the Board of Energy Technologies Ltd on a complex recapitalisation (A$17.5m market capitalisation) proposal and relocation of the company’s manufacturing facility from Sydney to the Latrobe Valley, Victoria.
HWL Ebsworth has one of the largest domestic offerings covering all States, in part due to the majority of the partners at TressCox joining in early 2018 and other lateral hires. Based in Adelaide, Jamie Restas is the national head of the commercial group and is considered 'second to none' for commercial work. Robert Gibson in Sydney co-ordinates the M&A/ECM group and Brendan Earle is also notable; he has advised Coles on two of its strategic reoganisations.
Jamie Restas; Robert Gibson
Other key lawyers:
Brendan Earle; James Lonie
‘Excellent skills and experience in the corporate and M&A area. Good value for money.’
‘Jamie Restas provides timely, solutions-oriented and commercial advice. Jamie is always focused on achieving the commercial outcome, his expertise and experience in corporate and commercial law is second-to-none.’
‘They recently improved the depth of talent with lateral hire of Brendan Earle, giving top tier partner quality service at mid-tier rates.’
‘Brendan Earle has gone out of his way to understand our business, from many different angles. He is also generous with his time, and introduces us to others at the firm that may be able to work with us. But most importantly, he has invested time and effort in working with us closely and understands our needs, ways of working and commercial drivers. He is meticulous in his approach and a strategic thinker.’
Solium Nominees (Australia) Pty Ltd
Centuria Capital Group and Metropolitan REIT
Intellectus Management (Hong Kong) Limited
Limited, Mason Group
Holdings Limited and
WeDoctor Holdings Limited
Shareholders of MSP
Investment Holdings Pty Ltd
Eureka Operations Pty Ltd
Overland Sun Farming
Paragon Care Limited
Zenitas Healthcare Limited
Coventry Group Limited
Magellan Travel Group Pty
TP Real Estate Holdings Pte Ltd
Viridian Financial Group Ltd
Williams Lea Tag
- Acted for Solium Nominees in relation to the sale of Quadrant Energy to Santos.
- Advised Centuria on equity capital market and property matters for two underwritten accelerated non-renounceable entitlement offers to raise equity to fund the acquisition of four office properties.
- Represented the bidder, Intellectus Management (Hong Kong) Limited and others, in its acquisition of shares in Genea Limited by a partial (89.5%) scheme of arrangement including top up due diligence, negotiation of the SIA, Court representation and the FIRB application.
- Advised Coles Express on negotiating and drafting a series of agreements to restructure the terms of its fuel and convenience alliance with Viva Energy Limited.
- Acted for Overland Sun Farming on the sale of the 349MW Limondale Sun Farm Project by way of share sale in Limondale Sun Farm Pty Ltd to German Renewables company Innogy.
Jones Day's fast growing teams in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth provide cross-border M&A and private equity capabilities. 'Consumate professional' Mark Crean who heads the group, has deep expertise across M&A, restructurings and private equity in numerous industry sectors, particularly financial services, media, telecommunications, and real estate. Other highly experience partners include Isaac West, Shannon Finch, Brett Heading, Matthew Latham and Michael Lishman who collectively offers huge experience in all aspects of corporate transactions. Associate Tom Stack draws praise for his handling of corporate matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘What stands out about the Jones Day Corporate and M&A team is that the entire team is focused on being the best advocate for your business. I haven’t come across any rivalries within the firm or practice – just everyone working hard to do what is best to help the client get the best solution. They have a well rounded team with large deal experience, but with a practice, personal touch that you don’t always find at other firms. They are willing to go the extra mile.‘
‘Mark Crean is a consummate professional. He is super-responsive, very practical and brings a calming influence to any stressful situation. He is someone I know will have a good perspective and a creative mind to help solve issues.’
‘Tom Stack is top notch. In addition to being an outstanding technical lawyer, Tom goes above and beyond and takes a personal interest in the client and the business of the client. He works around the clock, if necessary, to help drive the best result and help achieve our objectives.’
Bank of Queensland
Coronado Coal LLC
AAM Investment Group
WiseTech Global Limited
Terry White Group Limited
Ansarada Pty Limited
- Advised NYSE-listed USG Corporation regarding all aspects of its acquisition by Gebr. Knauf KG. The resulting company is a global building materials industry leader.
- Acted for KPMG in its merger with Ferrier Hodgson, a leading independent restructuring, turnaround and insolvency firm in Australia.
- Advised Centuria Industrial REIT in the attempted A723m unsolicited indicative and non-binding proposal from Propertylink Group to acquire all of the units in Centuria Industrial REIT by way of an agreed off-market takeover offer. A matter valued at A$723m.
- Advised Coronado in the A$700m acquisition of the Curragh coal mine in central Queensland from Wesfarmers Limited.
- Acted for Wisetech Global Limited in its acquisition of Pierbridge, a leading parcel shipping transportation management solution provider to medium and large shippers in the United States. The matter was valued at A$59.4m (including possible earnout).
K&L Gates' Australia-based team works in concert with the firm's US and other global offices and has a focus on the technology sector, in addition to areas such as agribusiness and manufacturing. It acts for clients ranging from global corporations to start-ups, fintech and venture capital clients and many of its deals are in the A$100m to A$500m range. Chris Nikou's expertise includes asset and share sale agreements, joint ventures and contract negotiations and Nick Ramage handles cross-border investment work. Cameron Abbott heads the group.
Sydney Fish Market
Greentown Service Group Co Ltd
Golfers Pty Ltd and Gary David Purcell
OSI Systems Inc
CSIRO Financial Services Pty Ltd (t/as Main Sequence Ventures)
Taggle Systems Pty Ltd
Sellers of Hotels Combined Pty Ltd
- aAvised Continental AG on the A$350m acquisition of Kmart Tyre and Auto Service which was owned by Wesfarmers Ltd in Australia.
- Assisted Mmodal’s US counsel on the separation and restructure of Mmodal’s technology and services businesses in Australia immediately prior to the sale of Mmodal’s technology business to 3M Corporation.
- Acted for Greentown Service Group Co Ltd on its acquisition of a majority interest in Montessori Academy the Sydney-headquartered Australian long day childcare centre operator.
- Represented the shareholders of Billi Australia Pty Ltd and its UK counterpart GLGB Limited on the sale of a 100% interest in the Billi Group’s global operations to an Australian-based subsidiary of Waterlogic,
- Advised 4 Golfers Pty Ltd and Gary Purcell on the share sale of Ventair Pty Ltd to Woomera Ventilation Pty Ltd (a member of the Volution Ventilation Group, based in the United Kingdom).
Lander & Rogers
Lander & Rogers is an independent firm offering especial experience on mid-market deals in the insurance, financial services, real estate, retail and energy and resources spheres. In addition to domestic companies, it assists overseas multi-national clients on their investments into Australia; Deanna Constable leads the Japan client group and Alex Ding leads the China client group. Jackie Solakovski, who heads the group focuses on transactions for clients in the insurance and financial services sector as well as foreign-based multinationals with interests in Australia.
ARA Asset Management
dnata Catering Services (subsidiary of Emirates)
Moonee Valley Racing Club
Number One Fertility Clinic
- Advised ARA Asset Management Limited on the purchase of an A$405m stake in Cromwell Property Group, a listed Australian REIT.
- Advised NYSE-listed Gallagher, through its Australian subsidiary, Gallagher Benefit Services Pty Ltd on each of its separate acquisitions of Super Advice, Finergy Solutions and Avantek.
- Advised Aniplex on all Australian aspects of their further acquisition of the remaining 70% interest in the Madman Anime Group, an Australian entertainment company.
- Advised Medibank on the acquisition of Home Support Services, one of Australia’s leading national providers of in-home care.
- Assisted IOOF with its ongoing pre-completion internal restructuring in preparation for completion, and prepared and negotiated the transaction documents. The transaction, required variations and new financial services licences, and a restructure of the business
Maddocks is a popular choice for small to medium listed companies and large private companies on mid-market transactions in areas as diverse as healthcare and education (on which it has a focus) and natural resources. It also has a track record acting for company founders seeking to sell all or part of their stake – often to private equity houses. Ron Smooker has more than two decades of experience advising on areas including joint ventures and other commercial and financing matters. Damien Wurzel and Duncan Hall in Melbourne and Sydney respectively are the team leaders who offer a wealth of expertise across corporate and commercial matters. Catherine Merity advises on cross-border transactions including assisting foreign clients on listings and acquisitions in Australia.
Damien Wurzel; Duncan Hall
‘The Maddocks Corporate and M&A practice is a market leading team which produces outstanding work. They are pragmatic, responsive, dedicated and provide outstanding value for money. They are the very definition of a trusted advisor.’
‘The team is led by Ron Smooker whose experience and measured approach consistently shines through. Ron brings unparalleled judgement and expertise to the table and is a pleasure to deal with.’
Zenitas Healthcare Limited
Janison Education Group Limited
Bouygues Construction Australia
Realm Resources Limited
The Dutton Group
- Advised Sushi Sushi Group on the strategic investment by Odyssey Private Equity.
- Acting for the founder of Australia’s largest private pilot training school, Soar Aviation on the group’s 50 percent sale to Australian private equity investor The Growth Fund.
- Advising global duty free company Lotte Duty Free Singapore Pte Ltd, on the acquisition of Australian duty free company JR Duty Free.
- Advised global toy company Moose Toys on its acquisition of UK toy company Worlds Apart with business in the UK, France and other parts of Europe.
- Advising one of Australia’s leading independent specialist trustee companies, Equity Trustees, on its acquisition of Zurich Australian Superannuation Pty Ltd.
David Zwi and Dan Kramer in Sydney, Eugene Fung in Brisbane and Adam Brooks in Melbourne are the team leaders at Thomson Geer. The team's expertise encompasses takeovers, divestments, joint ventures, schemes of arrangement, private equity transactions and capital raisings. It acts for clients in the manufacturing, retail and various other sectors on transactions that average A$50m.
David Zwi; Dan Kramer; Eugene Fung; Adam Brooks
- Advised Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Limited on its entry into the Danish market through its €2.5m acquisition of Domino’s Pizza Scandinavia.
- Acted on an A$40m transaction where Village Roadshow sold its Wet’n’Wild water park to Spanish leisure park operator Parques Reunidos.
- Advised Yifan Pharmaceutical Co (bidder) and Scigen Ltd (target) on the structuring of the transaction and all Australian takeover aspectsfrom both bidder and target perspective (particularly in relation to required disclosures on the part of the target). The transaction was valued at A$30m.
- Acted for Pro-Pac Packaging Limited on its acquisition of shares and units in Perfection Packaging Pty Ltd and the Perfection Packaging Unit Trust.
- Advised Australia’s leading seafood producer Tassal Group Limited on its aquaculture expansion, with the acquisition of three prawn farming operations from Fortune Group.
Dentons combines multi-jurisdictional capabilities, including its strong China presence, with its offering to domestic companies from its east coast and Perth offices. Life sciences, technology and natural resources are some of its sector strengths. Nicholas Stretch in Melbourne and Geoff Cairns in Sydney head the practice. Other notable lawyers include Kym Livesley, who is known for his focus on the energy and resources sectors, and the 'excellent' Hamish Walton. The team offers extensive experience in all areas of M&A together with restructuring and financing and its continued expansion includes the hire of John Mollard from Baker McKenzie.
NicholasStretch; Geoff Cairns
‘The quality of work and responsiveness was excellent. The team had a broad range of knowledge.’
‘Hamish Walton led the team, and they were very responsible and had excellent sector knowledge.’
‘Hamish Walton is excellent – he provides commercial advice.‘
Spence Doors Group
Jiangxi Ganfeng Lithium Co. Ltd
Bayer Australia Limited
The Nature Conservancy
Jervois Mining Limited
- Advised KKR on all the Australian aspects of its $8.1 bn acquisition of Unilever’s spreads business.
- Acting for Groupe Lactalis in the acquisition of Aspen Pharmacare’s global nutritionals business.
- Advised Jiangxi Ganfeng Lithium Co Ltd on the acquisition of a further 6.9% interest (valued at $51.9 million) investment in Reed Industrial Minerals, bringing its ownership to 50% in a lithium mine.
- Successfully advised global environment charity, The Nature Conservancy on two acquisitions in the Murray-Darling Basin which was achieved in partnership with Aboriginal and scientific groups.
- Advised ASX listed Jervois Mining on its announced mergers with two Canadian listed companies.
Hall & Wilcox handles public and private M&A transactions - it has a strong flow of mid-market deals combined with some large-scale work for bigger corporates. It advises on areas such as divestments or acquisitions, often on the Australian leg of large global transactions and offers a number of European and Asian foreign desks. Its national practice is led by Ed Paton and Oliver Jankowsky in Melbourne and Chris Brown in Sydney and Jacqui Barrett is another notable partner.
Ed Paton; Oliver Jankowsky; Chris Brown
Other key lawyers:
‘They are responsive and understand our business model. They charge fair fees and are technically strong and thoughtful.‘
‘They speak plain English and are a personable team that maintains long-term relationships.’
AON Risk Services
APN Property Group
Arena REIT Management Limited
Australian Unity Funds Management
Carlton and United Breweries
Insurance Australia Group
Note Printing Australia
Outsourcing Oceania Holdings
- Acted for Landmark White Limited in its 100% acquisition of leading residential property valuation firm Taylor Byrne, valued at A$10.3m.
- Advising on the recapitalisation of APR, a registered managed investment scheme listed on the NSX.
- Acting for AUB Group Limited in the A$21.7m acquisition of an additional 44% of the shares in Adroit Holdings that it did not already own, taking AUB’s total effective ownership to 94%.
- Acting for Outsourcing Oceania Holdings (a subsidiary of Tokyo stock exchange-listed staffing solutions business, Outsourcing Inc) in its $40.6m acquisition of Sydney based consulting company, PM-Partners.
- Acting for Focus Financial Partners (the NASDAQ-listed wealth management company and investor) in its acquisition of Melbourne headquartered ultra-high-net-worth financial adviser, Escala Partners.
Hogan Lovells' practice is headed by Matthew Johnson in Perth. The team attracts work in a variety of industries including resources, manufacturing and life sciences, applying the full range of corporate, regulatory and capital raising skills and handles the Australian leg of global transactions. This compact team has been enlarged with the hire of David Holland and Charles Bogle in Sydney who joined the practice in early 2019 from Baker McKenzie and Gilbert + Tobin respectively.
Allied Gold Corporation
Grange Resources Limited
Peninsula Energy Limited
Simble Solutions Limited
Wolf Minerals Limited
Xenith IP Group Limited
- Acting for Xenith IP Group Limited on its proposed acquisition by QANTM Intellectual Property Limited. The acquisition is by scheme of arrangement and with a value of A$200m.
- Acted for the Morrison Growth Infrastructure Fund in the acquisition of Sundrop Farms Pty Ltd. This is the first investment of the new fund, which is managed by infrastructure manager, H.R.L Morrison.
- Advised Luxaviation Group on the Australian components of the sale of its global aircraft maintenance and repair business to Dassault Aviation.
- Advised Convergint Technologies in relation to its acquisition of Integrators Australia Pty Ltd, an Australian-based security software company that designs and installs network-based security systems.
With teams based across Australia, Mills Oakley handles mid-range, complex transactions for listed and unlisted companies. Its transactional expertise spans takeovers, private treaty M&A, private equity transactions, schemes of arrangements and capital raisings, including IPOs. Daniel Livingston, Warren Scott, Gavin Douglas and Tim Cox, who is noted for assembling 'a very deep bench of lawyers', are the team heads; new partner, Andrew Crean is based in Perth. 'Trusted advisor' Malcolm McBratney and Tony Lalor are both highlighted by clients.
Daniel Livingston; Warren Scott; Gavin Douglas; Tim Cox
‘The team, led by Malcolm McBratney, provided timely advice on a complex series of matters involving a divestment. The team provided us with considered advice, options, and strategies that allowed informed decisions to be made.’
‘Malcolm McBratney led the team with such patience and care. He was a trusted adviser to us throughout the process. Also a special mention to Teneille Meyer for her tireless efforts and professional approach.’
‘Tim Cox is quick, responsive and a good thinker and has assembled a very deep bench of other lawyers.’
‘Mills Oakley is the most responsive and creative thinking team with a very deep bench strength of lawyers and advisors.’
‘They provide close personal attention to detail and a high level of service on all aspects of commercial and property law.’
‘Tony Lalor; very good availability and quick responses, very knowledgeable in strategic M&A matters and practical in working with all stakeholders.’
Link Administration Holdings Limited
Qantas Airways Limited
Oil Search Limited
Bank of Queensland
Princess Polly Group Pty Ltd
Babcock International Group PLC
Brisbane Airport Corporation
Universal Coal plc
ELMO Software Limited
- Advised Link Group on its successful A$1.6bn consortium bid for Property Exchange Australia Limited. The consortium comprised Commonwealth Bank of Australia and Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners.
- Acted as ASX-listed Appen’s Australian legal counsel with respect to its A$425m acquisition of San Francisco-based Figure Eight Technologies Inc.
- Advised Universal Coal on a proposed change of control transaction to be implemented by way of a scheme of arrangement and advising Universal on a subsequently received competing bid. A matter valued at $188m.
- Acted for Princess Polly Group Pty Ltd, an online fast fashion business, and its shareholders in respect of the $82m sale of a controlling interest to a US-based private equity group, following a highly competitive sale process with multiple bids.
- Acted for Intermin Resources in relation to its acquisition of all of the shares in ASX listed MacPhersons Resources by means of a scheme of arrangement to create a significant new gold explorer and producer.
Piper Alderman's clients are made up of public and private companies in sectors including energy, resources, technology, health and agribusiness. Its expertise extends to all areas of M&A, private equity and capital raisings. James Dickson in Adelaide has a significant corporate transactional experience together with corporate governance, ASIC requirements and ASX Listing Rules. James Macdonald in Melbourne also has broad, international experience. Mark Williamson handles corporate, securities and funds matters with a track record in Australian and cross-border securities transactions.
James Dickson; James Macdonald
Other key lawyers:
‘What made it unique to us was the level of caring support and understanding that this was a new area for us and they guided us through the process with very gentle handling of all areas and kept the wheels moving and also let us be a partner in the process with them. They settled a lot of jittery nerves.’
‘Andrew was a very steadying person, calm and collected at all stages. We felt very safe in his hands.’
‘Hugh Scales is excellent. He’s fastidious on detail but also highly commercial. Plus he has a lot of experience with PE deals and PE fund structuring.’
‘Piper Alderman is a nice middle-sized practice. It is small enough that we feel valued but large and diverse enough to handle most issues that we come across.‘
‘We have a very personalised service from James Macdonald. He has taken the time to understand our business. He can predict likely legal areas for us to address before they become issues. He is very pragmatic and logical – and doesn’t propose legal projects for their own sake. We appreciate that he takes a balanced view of the cost benefit of different approaches to delivering advice.’
Accolade Wines Australia Limited
Almondco Australia Limited
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited
Blackmagic Design Pty Ltd
Broadspectrum (Australia) Pty Ltd
Cobalt27 Capital Corp
Coopers Brewery Limited
Core Lithium Ltd
ElectraNet Pty Ltd
Havilah Resources Ltd
Huntley Management Limited
Jolimont Global Mining Systems Pty Ltd
Lucas Total Contract Solutions
McColl’s Group Holdings Pty Ltd
Pacific Current Group Limited
Redarc Electronics Pty Ltd
Red River Resources Limited
SA Power Networks
The Food Revolution Group Ltd
Warrego Energy Limited
- Advised Toronto-based battery minerals company, Cobalt 27 Capital Corp on the takeover by scheme of arrangement of Highlands Pacific Limited and its financing. A deal valued at A$130m.
- Advising Havilah Resources Limited on its funding transaction with OneSteel Manufacturing Pty Ltd, valued at A$100m.
- Advised Friesian McColls on the acquisition of the McColl’s transport group, a matter valued at A$52.5m.
- Acting for Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited on its strategic partnership with Bridges Financial Services Group Pty Ltd, a subsidiary of IOOF Holdings Limited.
- Advised the founders and shareholders of Mexia Holdings Pty Ltd on their joining with Deloitte Australia to lead Deloitte’s Microsoft Integration and cloud team.
Squire Patton Boggs attracts cross-border transactions from clients ranging from the global to startups and venture capital firms. Across the gamut of corporate and commercial work, it has a focus on the energy and resources sectors in addition to its broader retail, manufacturing and tech clients. Simon Rear in Perth and Campbell Davidson in Sydney head the practice and Tony Chong is the Perth managing partner and also heads the Asia Desk for the firm.
Simon Rear; Campbell Davidson
Other key lawyers:
Complete Power Solutions Pty Ltd
Government of the Republic of Fiji
Live Nation Entertainment Inc
Lincoln Electric Holdings Inc
GB Group Plc
Holdings (UK) Limited
- Acted for a consortium of the shareholders of Complete Power Solutions Pty Ltd in relation to the acquisition of 100% of the shares of the CPS by a subsidiary of AmpControl Pty Ltd.
- Advised the Belron Group’s Australasian entities (O’Brien Glass Holdings Pty Ltd and Carglass (NZ) Limited) on the cross-border acquisition of the Laser Group franchise in Australia and New Zealand.
- Advised GB Group PLC, a global identity data intelligence specialist, on the acquisition of all of the shares of Vix Verify Global Pty Ltd, an Australian provider of identity verification and location intelligence software.
- Advised Halewood International Holdings (UK) Limited, a world-wide drinks manufacturer and distributor, on its expansion into Australia and in relation to its acquisition of a majority interest in Ironbark Distillery Pty Ltd.
- Acting for the Government of the Republic of Fiji (Ministry of Public Enterprises) in respect of Energy Fiji Limited (EFL). The advice concerns the reform of the regulatory framework for the generation and supply of electricity in the Republic of Fiji through the preparation of revised legislation; the public offer of 5% of the Government’s equity interest to a broad base of eligible Fijians, and the sale of a substantial minority interest in EFL and listing EFL on the South Pacific Stock Exchange.