Assisting national and international clients across a range of areas, as well as serving sovereign governments in issues related to trade and trade policy, the broad IT&C practice at Beccar Varela 'knows everything there is to know about trade and customs in Argentina'. The practice covers the spectrum of the import, transit and export of goods, including advice on international distribution agreements, international sale of goods, dispute settlements, trade remedies, anti-dumping investigations, import licenses and market access. This diverse expertise is combined with contentious experience before the customs authorities, the National Tax Court, the Federal Administrative Courts and the Supreme Court of Justice. 'Simply fantastic' Augusto Vechio handles matters related to international trade, export control, unfair competition and consumer law. He co-leads the team with Guido Krolovetzky, who focuses on customs law and regulations regarding the sale of goods. An additional key name is that of 'responsive' and 'fast' senior associate, Camila Corvalán.
International trade and customs in Argentina
Augusto Vechio; Guido Krolovetzky
‘The team knows everything there is to know about trade and customs in Argentina. Very impressive. Well-connected as well.‘
‘Augusto Vecchio is simply fantastic. Incredibly responsive, fast, sharp, yet gentle and soft-spoken, never hectic, focused on the goal of providing quality advice. He knows trade and customs in Argentina backwards. Very collaborative as well. Camila Corvalan is also very good. Equally very responsive, fast, a good lawyer.‘
Arcos Dorados USA
- Assisting and representing Omani client Octal in an antidumping investigation gainst the imports of “PET resin” from the Sultanate of Oman.
- Advising international food corporaion Mc Cain on the framework of a procedure aimed at obtaining tariff benefits for an investment project under Mercosur trade and investment rules.
- Assisting and representing Chinese company Huihong in an antidumping investigation into the importation of “safety gloves” from China, Malaysia, India and Bangladesh.
Experienced in contentious and non-contentious trade matters, Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi’s recent activity has focused on the oil and gas, agricultural products, mining and energy sectors. In the field of foreign trade, the firm provides consulting services in import and export matters, including tariff classification, customs valuation, regulations regarding origin, trade agreements and restrictions, as well as regulations on imports and exports. Advising national and foreign investors on export promotion programs and strategic planning of foreign trade operations are particular specialisms of the practice. Eduardo Mallea leads the nine-strong team and handles litigation, dumping and issues related to the foreign exchange regulations applicable to foreign trade. Fellow partner María Laura Bacigalupo also undertakes a full range of international trade advisory, particularly the foreign trade operations of companies in the agro-export, mining and hydrocarbon industries. Key associate support comes from senior Andrea Carolina Callegari, who specialises in litigation on customs matters and also has a tax background.
Nabors International Argentina
Fideicomiso Central Vuelta de Obligado
Vista Oil & Gas
Molinos Río de la Plata
Minera Andina del Sol (a Barrick Group company)
Barrick Exploraciones Argentina
Fideicomiso Central Termoeléctrica Guillermo Brown
- Defending Molinos Río de la Plata in a major legal controversyinvolving the exportation of agricultural products.
- Defending NewSan in a controversy with the Argentine Customs Service and regarding the alleged misclassification of an exported feedstuff.
- Representing Bunge Argentina in two administrative claims against the Argentine Government challenging the constitutionality of Decrees 793/2018 and 332/2019 and seeking their abrogation and that their application to the company cease.
Marval O’Farrell Mairal demonstrates strength in trade remedies, customs law, tariff code interpretation, quantitative restrictions and WTO dispute-resolution proceedings, and the practice is widely recognised as a dominant force in trade remedies, where it is a leader in terms of market share. The team’s ability to draw on its financial services and administrative law departments is also a valuable asset for clients looking for advice on foreign exchange controls. A 'safe port of call for trade remedies', practice head Pablo Gayol has an impressive track record in antidumping investigations, a focus he shares with experienced practitioner Patricia López Aufranc, while on the customs front, the team can count on specialists Horacio García Prieto and Juan Pablo Rothschild. Key associate support comes from Jazmine Daruich.
‘They are well structured and always available’.
‘The technical work is impecable’.
‘Pablo Gayol is a safe port of call for trade remedies in Argentina, he is very clever, always thinks ahead’.
‘Jazmine Daruich works very hard and reponds fast’.
Specialising in customs valuations and transfer pricing, the small but effective practice at Baker McKenzie also covers preferential trade arrangements, duty relief programs and contentious matters. Customs compliance is also a particular niche speciality. With 25 years' experience as a partner, practice head Esteban Rópolo has deep expertise in international trade and customs law - clients note both his 'technical knowledge' and 'tremendous business sense'. The team was boosted by the July-2020 arrival of associate Barbara Magali Barroso from Marval O’Farrell Mairal; she undertakes both advisory on customs regulations and representation before the Customs authorities in contentious matters. Barroso replaces Gonzalo Chiapello who moved in house at JP Morgan in June 2020.
‘I have worked with this team for some years now and they go the extra mile not only to technically deliver their service but also to adapt to our company’s way of doing things’.
‘They understand timings, formalities, and which alternatives work best for our business’.
‘During the pandemic, our company has strengthened its communications policies and we were only allowed to have videoconferences through one system, which was not the one used by the law firm. They have adapted and they use that system with us’.
‘Esteban Ropolo stands out not only for his technical knowledge but he has a tremendous business sense. He understands which topics are critical for us and I know we can only count on him and his team’.
Colgate Palmolive Argentina
Procter & Gamble Argentina
Amazon Web Services Argentina
Under Armour Argentina
Yamaha Motor Argentina
NCS Multistage Argentina
Goldman Sachs (Argentine branch)
Groupe Seb Argentina
- Assisting Yamaha Motor Argentina in an anti-dumping investigation affecting the import of crowns and pinions from China.
- Advising AbbVie Argentina on the implementation of a customs value reduction of certain products sold by a related company as a result of both market conditions and the company’s transfer-pricing strategy.
- Advising Groupe Seb Argentina on a complex Customs classification issue involving the import of pieces and parts of different household appliances for subsequent assembly in Argentina.
BRSV Abogados – Barreira, Rodriguez Larreta
Customs and foreign trade boutique BRSV Abogados – Barreira, Rodriguez Larreta is highly regarded for its experience in high-level trade matters. The firm’s specialist focus ensures that it is equipped to handle all the main areas of international trade, with expertise in trade remedies, import and export controls, customs matters and investment treaty matters. The firm also houses a standalone white-collar crime practice primarily focused on proceedings related to customs offences. Practice heads Enrique Carlos Barreira (who is a prominent name for complex disputes), and Jorge Rodríguez Larreta (whose practice combines trade and white-collar crime), are the key contacts.
Enrique Carlos Barreira; Jorge Rodríguez Larreta
Estudio Carena & Asociados Abogados
Estudio Carena & Asociados Abogados focuses exclusively on international trade, with customs law, currency exchange restrictions and import/export controls standing out as mainstays of the practice. The firm acts for an array of local and foreign companies from all industry sectors on both advisory and contentious matters, including representing clients in criminal law proceedings. Former customs officer Julio Carlos Lascano is widely recognised as an authority on customs matters. Fellow partners Patricia Feliciano, María Laura Fernández and Adrián Míguez are also recommended for their considerable customs expertise.
Carlos Carena; Julio Carlos Lascano
Brons & Salas
Specialising in customs regulations and import/export restrictions, the small team at Brons & Salas is recommended for its comprehensive and attentive approach, notably how the practice ‘looks and worries all the time about the activity of the company and how regulatory updates can affect the particular business of its client’. Key specialisms of the team include licenses and certification, customs valuations, dumping and free zone activities. On the contentious side, the practice defends clients in administrative and court proceedings and before the Argentine Central Bank. An expert in customs law and foreign trade Lorena Bartomioli leads the team with close support from key associate, senior Daniela Todeschi .
‘They look at and worry all the time in the activity of the company and how the regulatory update can affect the particular business of their client companies, since in fact many times we have received e-mails from the firm’s lawyers to warn us about certain regulations that affected our business and that makes them unique’.
‘Lorena Bartomioli and Daniela Todeschi are excellent professionals in the Customs area. Both get into the core of the company, study the mechanics and the smallest detail of the company to then be able to understand the general panorama and be able to give the best solution or alternatives’.
MWM Motores Argentina
Sun Chemical Ink
- Daily advice to Rayovac Argentina on customs matters (particularly the intervention of various agencies that must approve an import), representation before the Secretariat of Industry in relation to the non-automatic license system and advice on foreign exchange regulations related to the company’s import and export operations.
- Daily advice to Tupperware Brands Argentina on customs matters, especially adjustments to the transaction value according to the Agreement on Implementation of Article VII of the GATT temporary import system, as well as representation before the Secretariat of Industy and advice on foreign exchange matters related to its ex-im activities.
- Legal representation of Sun Chemical in the appeals provided for in the Customs Code, along with daily advice on customs matters (criteria to establish origin within the framework of the Economic Complementation Agreements of the ALADI, temporary import system and system of import of second-hand goods, among others).
Krause Abogados is well regarded for expertise in bilateral or multilateral international trade treaties, as well as import and export regulations, antidumping investigations and customs law. Founding partner Maximiliano Krause is the key name in the practice.
The broad experience in international trade and customs issues at O'Farrell (formerly Estudio O'Farrell) includes advice to national and international companies on import and export regimes, tariff classification, customs valuation, free trade zones, the international transit of goods and staggered shipping. On the contentious side, the team also defends clients on charges of customs or exchange violations, as well as advising on the refund or appeal of taxes. Associate practice director Gustavo Enrique Müller has been counselling on IT&C matters for almost 40 years; hugely experienced, he handles all aspects of international trade and customs law, antidumping and international trade regulation, particularly regarding the automotive, energy, chemicals and food / food retail sectors.
Gustavo Enrique Müller
‘The firm has an an interdisciplinary team with a lot of experience in different legal issues, especially the Customs and Foreign Trade Department led by Dr Gustavo Muller. We value his experience in trade matters greatly.‘
‘We receive from the all kinds of notifications and news from the firm, related or that may apply to the company and eventually the impact of these regulations is analysed.‘
- Advice and integral defence of YPF Energía Eléctrica with regard to customs matters, especially those of customs valuation.
- Advised Neutrona Argentina on the unconstitutionality of export duties established by the Argentine National Executive Power through Decree No. 793/18 and on the legal procedures to avoid further payment and recover the tax already paid.
- Advice and integral defence of Empresa Nacional de Explosivos (ENAEX) with regard to customs matters, especially those concerningcustoms valuation.
Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen 's international trade team is best known its for experience in customs law issues and exchange control regulations. Key areas of work include import/export-duty reimbursements, the challenging of customs duties assessments, customs disciplinary proceedings, confiscation of goods by customs authorities, Mercosur regulatory compliance and tariff classification. Also head of the firm's tax practice, Manuel Benites focuses on international trade, customs law and customs litigation. He co-leads the team with Andrés Galíndez, who represents clients before the General Customs Bureau, Tax Court of Appeals, Federal Courts and the National Supreme Court of Justice. Promoted to counsel in December 2020, Germán Martín Quirán also has a notable presence in the sector.
Manuel Benites; Andrés Galíndez
Rohm and Haas Argentina
Molinos Rio de la Plata
Dow Química Argentina
Dow Agrosciences Argentina
Honda Motor de Argentina
- Advice and representation of Shell CAPSA before the General Customs Bureau regarding the reimbursement of excess port duties paid on export operations; value: AR$1,200m.
- Representing Molinos Rio de la Plata in a case pending before the General Customs Bureau concerning a rise in biodiesel export duty rates and resulting tax assessments issued against the company.
The five-strong international trade team at Tanoira Cassagne Abogados has particular experience advising on the application of bilateral or multilateral trade treaties both within Mercosur and under WTO regulations, as well as in dumping investigations. Of late the practice has experienced a growth in mandates concerning obtaining non-automatic import licenses, the registration of companies before Secretariat of Industry in order to obtain export and import permits, the implementation of technical barriers in different markets and the amendment of extra-zonal external duties by various Mercosur technical committees. On the contentious side, the team also litigates against Argentine measure affecting imports in violation of WTO rules. With 25 years in practice, name partner Bernardo Cassagne ('solid juridically, very efficient, quick to respond, reliable and close') is dedicated to competition, international trade and customs and administrative law. Raised to the partnership in mid-2019, Francisco Rondoletti's practice also takes in competition, domestic and international trade matters and corporate law.
‘An ever-present team, very supportive; Rafael Algorta and Bernardo Cassagne, both lawyers solid juridically, very efficient, quick to respond, reliable and close -it’s a pleasure to work with this large and well-disposed team.‘
‘They are always very connected, they know the administrative structures and they closely follow the events to respond quickly to the regulatory changes. They have a lot of flexibility.‘
‘It is amazing how the attorneys at the Tanoira firm know their clients’ business and act as strategic partners!‘
- Represented Fondital in a dumping investigation initiated by the Argentine Government on the import of aluminum radiators used for central heating and non-electric heating, originating from China, Spain, and Italy.
- Represented weeding machinery manufacturer Einhell in an antidumping investigation initiated in February 2020 into imports of certain weeding machines and lawnmowers from China; the investigation was terminated without the imposition of duties in January 2021.
- Currently representing Philips Argentina in a sunset review procedure of the antidumping duties imposed in 2015 on the importation of electric irons from the People’s Republic of China; the procedure was initiated on 17 April 2020 and Philips Argentina is seeking renewal of the antidumping duties.