Consumer law in Argentina
Marval O’Farrell Mairal’s consumer protection practice has a ‘great international outlook’, according to sources. Certainly, the firm represents a impressive roster of major global companies — across a wide range of market segments — on product liability defence cases. Areas of expertise include labelling, advertising campaigns, product recall and insurance coverage, and the team routinely advises on complex and sensitive litigation and class actions. Among the names to note, the ‘highly experienced’ Leandro Castelli is highly sought after for product liability claims. Facundo Viel Temperley has ‘great litigation skills’ and is recommended for class actions. Alejo Gascón is a talented senior associate.
‘The best firm I have ever worked with in Argentina.’
‘They represent the biggest corporations doing business in the country, have a great international outlook and are easy to work with.’
‘Leandro Castelli is highly experienced in consumer law issues, with additional expertise in public policy.’
‘Facundo Viel Temperley has great litigation skills and international experience.’
Bristol Myers Squibb
Peugeot – Citroën
Philip Morris International
Columbia Sportswear Company
Magneti Marelli Cofap
- Advised Magneti Marelli Cofap on guarantee matters, after-sale service and provider’s liability for the automotive sector.
- Acted for Apple on the local aspects of its worldwide recall of some of its 15-inch MacBook Pro notebooks.
- Advised Hermès Argentina on guarantee and after-sales service issues, including drafting the terms and conditions of the Hermès after-sales service.
- Represented Booking.com in mediation, administrative and judicial proceedings brought by users of the website, who made reservations through the platform.
Beccar Varela houses a prominent consumer law department, which represents both domestic and international companies across a diverse mix of industries. The multidisciplinary team advises on the full life cycle of related issues, from regulatory and compliance matters, through to dispute resolution and class actions. Arbitration specialist Gonzalo García Delatour is the key contact. Senior associate Federico Sosa is also noted for growing profile in the area.
‘The team offers the highest quality responses.’
‘They are always available, and the team can always solve any problems that arise.’
Unilever de Argentina
New Revlon de Argentina
- Represented several important banks in consumer law-related class actions filed by different consumer associations.
- Acted for a string of major multinationals, including Facebook, GlaxoSmithKline and Unilever, on fair trade and consumer protection regulations.
- Advised a global bank in a class action filed by a consumer association.
Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi’s practice is significantly weighted towards contentious work, including class actions. In line with its signature strength in the financial services area, the firm is particularly active in representing local and international banks in consumer litigation. It also acts for a significant volume of retail companies, including Mercado Libre and Orbis Mertig. Litigator Martín Beretervide is a key contact in the multidisciplinary group.
‘I would like to highlight the knowledge they have of the banking industry.’
‘I would recommend Martín Beretervide, who has demonstrated a solid knowledge and expertise in his actuation on behalf of the bank.’
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA)
American Express Argentina
Banco Cetelem Argentina
- Represented publishers Editorial Estrada and Editorial Puerto de Palos in a claim related to book pricing.
- Acted for Danone Argentina in a consumer class action suit brought by ACYMA.
Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen impresses with its ‘great availability, experience and know-how’. The group has robust experience in the full spread of contentious and non-contentious consumer law matters, including product liability, recall campaigns and advertising regulations. The practice is also distinguished by its broad industry focus, with its recent cases spanning the technology, life sciences and aviation sectors, among others. Economic regulation specialist Luis Barry heads the team.
‘They have great availability, experience and know-how in dealing with our matters.’
‘Their friendliness, good client service and response times are all strengths that we value in the team.’
‘They provide a quality and efficient service.’
‘We value the proximity and availability of Luis Barry and his team. They always have a good disposition and respond quickly to our requirements.’
Honda Motor de Argentina
Molinos Río de la Plata
Domec Compañia de Artefactos Domesticos
La Papelera del Plata
- Represented Mercado Libre before the Commercial Court of Appeals in a case stemming from rejected Visa payments.
- Advised Google on consumer protection matters relating to new products and services.
- Advised United Airlines on consumer claims arising from an erroneously published fare offer regarding flights to Sydney.
Cerolini & Ferrari Abogados’ ‘young, dynamic and agile team’ is praised for its ‘perfect understanding of the growth of consumer rights’. The firm’s specialist banking regulation offering translates into a practice that predominantly advises financial institutions on consumer law matters, including class actions and regulatory compliance. Group head Matías Ferrari has strong experience in advising companies and financial institutions on consumer class actions and other disputes.
‘The team at Cerolini & Ferrari responds to clients in a timely manner and has a perfect understanding of the growth of consumer rights, which has been very fast-moving.’
‘They are creative in finding solutions.’
‘Cerolini & Ferrari has a young, dynamic and agile team, which is always in the service of the client.’
‘The founding partners of the firm are always available to contact the client if necessary. Even though it has enough staff to assist with clients’ needs, it is still a medium-sized firm, which allows the lawyers to have a lot of direct contact with clients.’
‘The firm stands out for its specialism, dynamism, agility, availability and size.’
Iké Asistencia Argentina
Banco Cetelem Argentina
Banco de Servicios Financieros
Banco de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Assist Card Argentina
HSBC Bank Argentina
- Represented Banco Ciudad de Buenos Aires in a class action initiated by a consumer association concerning the collection of an administrative charge.
- Assisted the Argentine branch of Openbank with the drafting of a wide range of legal documents targeted to consumers, including terms and conditions, use policy and contracts.
Regulated-industries stalwart, Estudio O'Farrell is particularly well versed in product liability claims concerning the automobile industry, due to its close relationship with Ford Argentina. The group also has a strong offering in administrative law-related litigation. Associate Lorena Quiroz spearheads the consumer protection and fair trade department.
Plan Ovalo de Ahorro Para Fines Determinados
Cámara Empresaria de Transporte Automotor de Pasajeros de Larga Distancia (CELADI)
Grupo Concesionario del Oeste
Nokia Solutions and Networks Argentina
- Represented Ford Argentina in defending 339 administrative cases regarding the guarantee regime and product safety, among others.
- Advised Naturgy BAN in a case challenging the constitutionality of required face-to-face customer service provisions.