Share on LinkedInShare on LinkedIn

ARTICLE · 17 OCTOBER 2018

Trademark Licenses . . . Again (Update No. 4)

We continue to monitor developments in what could become one of the most consequential Supreme Court cases on bankruptcy in decades.

United StatesIntellectual Property

Our May 23, June 28, July 13 and August 3 posts discussed the First Circuit's January 12 decision in Mission Product Holdings, Inc. v. Tempnology, LLC.1 and, most recently, the pending petition for certiorari.2 Since our last post, the respondent filed its response to the petition in opposition to granting cert.,3 giving several reasons why cert. should be denied.

It is common knowledge that it is more likely that the Supreme Court will grant cert. where decisions of the Courts of Appeals of different circuits are in conflict in order to resolve the conflict. The Opposition Brief discounts the circuit split touted by petitioner. It describes the split as consisting solely of the Seventh Circuit's 2012 Sunbeam decision and the First Circuit's 2018 Tempnology decision and characterizes this split as "neither deep nor long-standing."4 That characterization depends on the exclusion of Lubrizol from the equation, which respondent does with two points: Lubrizol was

We operate a free-to-view policy, asking only that you register in order to read all of our content. Please login or register to view the rest of this article.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

See more popular content from