CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo > Madrid, Spain > Firm Profile
CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo Offices
PASEO DE RECOLETOS, 7-9
CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo > The Legal 500 Rankings
Spain > Industry focus: TMT Tier 2Renowned for its expertise in the telecoms sector, CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo‘s TMT team, which is divided between the Barcelona and Madrid offices, is jointly led by 'excellent professional' Javier Torre de Silva, who also co-leads the firm's global telecommunications group; Jorge Sánchez, whose ‘technical and industry knowledge is second to none’; and María González Gordon, who focuses on IP and digital business and handles the practice’s media-related matters.
‘The team is a strong point, total involvement and availability in projects, tasks and consultations. I would highlight the cohesion and internal coordination.’
‘Javier Torre de Silva: I consider him an excellent professional, an in-depth student of the subjects. He really contributes a plus.’
‘They have a very solid knowledge of the matter and propose flexible solutions without losing sight of legal certainty.’
‘Javier Torre de Silva is an extraordinary lawyer who, without a doubt, should be around for all delicate matters.’
‘Jorge Sánchez is simply exceptional. He is master of all facets, he is brilliant, his technical and industry knowledge is second to none, he is extremely commercial, he knows all regulatory aspects perfectly, etc. We only have good words for Jorge and that is the reason why we always work with Jorge for the operations we do in Spain in the telecommunications sector.’
‘Jorge works like crazy. And best of all, he always does it with a smile on his face. He is a super nice person with a tremendously positive attitude, and that helps not only when it comes to getting work done, but also in negotiations since he knows how to stay calm and redirect a discussion that has been possibly derailed.’
‘The team led by Javier Torre de Silva Silva have the highest level from the technical point of view and a great closeness to the specific problems of the clients.’
‘Javier Torre de Silva is outstanding in his knowledge of legal technique, in his relationships with the actors in the sector; his works constitute references for those interested in the practice of telecommunications in Spain.’
Ferrovial Group and Fundación CI3
The World Bank
- Advised Macquarie Capital on the acquisition of a majority stake in the fibre optic network in rural areas owned by MásMóvil.
- Advised the World Bank in relation to the existing legal framework in Bolivia regarding digital identity, including data protection, cybercrime, cybersecurity, social inclusion and digital signature issues.
- Representing Caixabank in court proceedings initiated to challenge the Spanish Data Protection Authority’s decision imposing a fine of €6m.
Spain > Projects and energy Tier 2CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo has a robust practice in projects and energy, headed by managing partner César Albiñana, regulatory and public law expert Ignacio Grangel and Luis Miguel de Dios. The team offers combined expertise in corporate, finance, regulatory matters and disputes, frequently acting for domestic and international companies in litigious matters. Counsels Reyes Robledo, José Luis Pérez-Campoamor and Ignacio Cerrato are other names to note. Clients praise the team's ability to explain ‘the specifics of the Spanish market’.
‘Combined experience in renewables deals, regulatory matters, and understands well the needs of international financial investors.’
‘Very experienced in explaining the specifics of the Spanish market to foreign individuals.’
‘At all times they have responded in a timely manner to our needs. The different teams that have worked during this time had been coordinated by Mr. Ignacio Grangel, and the result of the work had met our expectations. Mr. Grangel, as a State Attorney who has worked in Electricity and Gas Companies, is an expert in Energy, Mining and Administrative Law (concession area). He has a professional background that, together with his personal disposition, facilitate the relationship with the client, generating trust.’
‘I would highlight the client service, empathy and coordination.’
‘The team is very pleasant to work with, understands German culture, language and approach.’
Real Asset Advisers Limited
- Advised Northland Power on its entry into the Spanish market through the purchase of a portfolio of renewable energy projects from Helia for €1,061m.
- Advised Eni on the disinvestment of its 50% shareholding in Union Fenosa Gas (UFG), sold to Spanish energy company Naturgy, which owned the other 50%.
- Advisor to Iberdrola Renovables, providing general and ongoing regulatory advice covering a wide range of administrative, environmental and tax matters related to its business.
Spain > Public law Tier 2CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo houses an ‘exceptional’ public law practice, with particular expertise in sectors such as energy and telecoms, and a solid track record handling matters of administrative law, public procurement and regulatory law. Ignacio Grangel, ‘a reference in public energy law’ according to a client, heads the well-rounded department, closely backed by noted practitioners Javier Torre de Silva, who is recommended for his contentious work; Alfonso Codes, who joined the team in 2020 from the Ministry of Culture and Sport; and counsel José Luis Pérez-Campoamor.
‘The practice of public law is exceptional, highlighting in a very special way Javier Torre de Silva, as a highly prestigious lawyer in the matter.’
‘Counting on Javier Torre de Silva in matters of public law allows us to ensure advice of the highest quality.’
‘At all times they have responded in a timely manner to our needs. The different teams that have worked during this time had been coordinated by Mr. Ignacio Grangel, and the result of the work had met our expectations. Mr. Grangel gathers a professional background (Public Administration / Private Company) that, together with his personal disposition, facilitate the relationship with the client, generating client-lawyer trust, both in technical and relational aspects with the Client.’
‘I have highly valued the technical excellence, their availability and the close treatment with quick response capacity. Alfonso Codes.’
‘Great technical knowledge of energy regulation.’
‘Ignacio Granjel is a reference in public energy law, and tries to find connection links in objectives with his client, to address issues of legal complexity and novelty.’
Gestion Minero Ambiental
- Advised Ferrovial on the sale of its shareholdings in two concessionaire companies operating the City of Justice of Barcelona and a prison in Catalonia.
- Provides ongoing regulatory advice to Iberdrola Renovables covering a wide range of administrative, environmental and tax matters, including a number of contentious-administrative proceedings.
- Representing Orange in over 400 administrative and contentious-administrative proceedings regarding the extension of its telecommunications network.
Spain > White-collar crime Tier 2The white-collar crime department at CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo acts for a range of national and international corporations, their managers and administrators, financial institutions and private individuals. With a comprehensive service, the team advises on money laundering, bribery, fraud, corruption, and crimes against intellectual property. Led by dispute resolution head Carlos Aguilar, the group’s client portfolio includes well-known companies operating in the entertainment, e-commerce, banking, energy, real estate and consumer products sectors, among others. The group is supported by partner Enrique Remón, who joined in January 2021, counsel Emilio Moyano and senior associate Manuel Sánchez-Puelles.
‘The criminal practice at CMS has the undisputed leadership of Carlos Aguilar, a renowned criminal lawyer, with extensive experience in criminal defense of extraordinarily complex procedures. He is one of the great criminal lawyers in this country and a necessary reference for complicated criminal defenses.’
‘The great technical quality of its members, their in-depth knowledge of criminal law, compliance and in matters of liability of the legal entity differentiates them.’
‘Deep knowledge of criminal law with extensive experience in important cases. Advisory services, procedural strategy, accusation and defense to companies and individuals before different courts and tribunals including Investigating Courts, Criminal Courts, Provincial Courts, National Court and Supreme Court.’
‘Carlos Aguilar is recognised in the world of criminal law as an excellent lawyer, with great empathy towards clients and outstanding technical knowledge. The team’s attorneys stand out for their dedication to each matter.’
Sociedad de Gestión de Activos procedentes de la Reestructuración Bancaria (“SAREB”)
Arcadia Music, S.L.U.
Red Eléctrica de España
Banco Sabadell, S.A.
- Represented Sareb in proceedings investigating the alleged unfair management by several Bankia executives who granted loans to real estate entrepreneurs without updated valuations and against the entity’s risk reports.
- Acted for Arcadia Music in criminal proceedings for the purported commission of several criminal offences, including crimes against intellectual property and fraud.
- Represented Red Eléctrica de España in criminal proceedings regarding the theft of copper cables from substations; industrial accidents and sabotage of the company’s electrical infrastructure.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good knowledge of the area. CMS has a plus over other firms.’
‘High specialisation. Very client focused.’
‘The team is very well led by senior attorneys who are involved, in depth and with dedication, in the client’s affairs. They are creative (they contribute very productive and viable ideas) and they work with order and technical seriousness.’
‘In general, the legal technical capacity is very high and full dedication; very satisfied on both counts.’
‘CMS has always been up to the task and well above the circumstances. Without a doubt, we will continue to count on CMS for future operations and Corporate / M&A issues. In addition to their extensive knowledge in M&A / corporate matters, they know the real estate sector very well and have a vision that goes beyond the pure legal point (commercial, business), which, without a doubt, helps a lot in this type of transactions. They have handled very complex situations with great ease and are always available and anticipate the needs of their clients. Whenever I can, I seek to work with them.’
‘The team are willing to invest in relationships, focus on commercial aspects of the law/transaction, ensuring that the clients interests remain in focus.’
‘Carlos Peña – focssed, determined and relationship driven.’
‘Pedro Ferreras has a great capacity for conflict resolution, a good disposition and excellent professionalism.’
Real Asset Advisers Limited
Boluda Corporación Marítima
Savills Aguirre Newman
Real Asset Advisers Limited
Boluda Corporación Marítima
Savills Aguirre Newman
- Advised Macquarie Capital on the acquisition of a majority stake in the fibre optic network in rural areas owned by MásMóvil, which will cover more than 1.1m Spanish households.
- Advised Northland Power on its entry into the Spanish market through the purchase of a portfolio of renewable energy projects for a value of €1.06bn.
- Provided advice to Eni on the disinvestment of its 50% shareholding in Union Fenosa Gas (UFG), sold to Spanish energy company Naturgy, which owned the other 50%.
Other key lawyers:
‘The professionals assigned to the company I represent are highly efficient and accessible, as well as of recognised prestige, which makes them highly-qualified “partners” for my company.’
‘It is a team that includes the necessary disciplines at all times and that, in all of them, are among the best specialists in the field.’
The World Bank
Area Sur Shopping
- Providing representation to CaixaBank in court proceedings initiated to challenge the Spanish Data Protection Authority’s decision imposing a fine of €6m and the obligation to adapt its internal procedures and protocols.
- Provided advice on the partnership between Israeli firm Moovit and Spanish Ferrovial group (Wondo) to launch a mobility service platform, which involved complex data protection issues.
- Provided advice to the World Bank in relation to the existing legal framework in Bolivia regarding digital identity (including data protection, cybercrime, cybersecurity, social inclusion and digital signatures).
Spain > Dispute resolution Tier 3The dispute resolution team at CMS is highlighted for its ‘high level of commitment‘ and ‘high capacity for negotiation and litigation‘. The team is adept at handling high-stakes cases, with experience covering a broad range of sectors, from financial services to infrastructure to telecoms. In a major highlight, the group successfully represented Atresmedia before the ECJ and the Spanish Supreme Court in a case concerning copyright and neighbouring rights. Banking litigation is another forte, with the team counting several major banks among its clients. Carlos Aguilar leads the team, which expanded in January 2021 with the hire of Enrique Remón, who joined from the Public Prosecutor’s Office. Juan Ignacio Fernández Aguado, Luis Javier Vidal, counsel Antonio Fernández de Hoyos and senior associate Jorge Martínez are also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘I understand that one of its remarkable characteristics is the very high and verifiable technical preparation of its members.’
‘In addition to their very high technical preparation, I consider them accessible in any circumstance.’
‘Immediacy in dealing with the team. Good documentation and communication with the client.’
‘Team with high technical preparation and great commitment, not only by the juniors, but in particular by the partner in charge of the practice.’
‘High level of commitment, from the most junior people to the partner, who is not limited to supervising what other people on his team do but is clearly committed and involved in each of the issues. Luis Javier Vidal stands out for his commitment, his technical knowledge and ability to coordinate multidisciplinary teams in complex matters. Timely and current information on the development of the procedure. Transparent billing information.’
‘The support and knowledge of the cause offered by St. Juan Ignacio Fernández Aguado is exceptional from all points of view.’
‘The main strengths and abilities of CMS are a deep knowledge of the subject, contribution of innovative and imaginative solutions, a high capacity for negotiation and litigation, a high knowledge of the company and the sector, a great capacity to adapt to the situation and a lot of proximity and availability.’
‘The team formed by Jorge Sánchez and Antonio Fernandez is exceptional for their knowledge, attention to detail, ability to solve problems that may arise in the management of matters and their focus on obtaining beneficial results for the client.’
Atresmedia Corporación de Medios de Comunicación
Ilustre Colegio de la Abogacía de Barcelona
- Securing a landmark win for AtresMedia Corporación before the ECJ regarding the absence of obligation for broadcasters to pay remuneration rights of synchronised phonograms in broadcasted audiovisual works.
- Representing CaixaBank in court proceedings initiated to challenge the Spanish Data Protection Authority’s decision imposing CaixaBank a fine of €6m and the obligation to adapt its internal procedures and protocols.
- Represented Banco Santander in over 4,500 litigation proceedings initiated by shareholders and bondholders relating to the resolution of Banco Popular, investment products and general terms and conditions.
Spain > Employment Tier 3‘Characterised by its high level of professionalism', the employment group at CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo has expertise in collective restructurings, senior executive employment contracts, complex employment litigation, and support on corporate transactions. A mix of international and domestic blue-chip clients instruct experienced practice head César Navarro and the disputes-focused Elena Esparza. Eva Ceca, promoted to counsel in February 2021, stands out from the group supporting the partners.
‘The CMS team that advised us is characterized by its high level of professionalism, combining many years of experience in similar issues, a clear alignment with the needs and particularities of our company and an evident ease to work in multinational environments.’
‘Both César Navarro and Eva Ceca, partner and counsel respectively from the CMS labor area, have done an excellent job, providing a clear vision. I would highlight, in addition to their knowledge and experience, their ease of communicating information to the client in a precise and practical way in international environments, as well as being integrated into internal meetings where key strategic decisions are discussed and made.’
‘Proactivity. The cases are prepared very thoroughly. Professionalism.’
‘Carmen Bardi prepared the defence of a case that affected our company with great thoroughness, very attentive to all details and anticipating possible questions from the opposing party.’
‘It is a young, dynamic team with deep knowledge of its work. The CMS team is one of the most complete teams in Spain, and in the workplace their work is technically very solvent and efficient.’
‘It is an excellent team from a technical point of view, fast and pragmatic in its responses to the client. What I would highlight is the good understanding they have of the business and the sector, which makes their advice very practical and adjusted to the needs of the client. Due to their experience and international profile, they manage multi-jurisdictional matters with total efficiency, coordinating the different firms that may be involved in the matter. From an organizational point of view, the team members are perfectly coordinated to immediately and efficiently attend to questions raised.’
‘The plus that I would highlight from the firm’s lawyers is their closeness, availability and honesty when giving advice, always thinking of the best for the client. I would especially highlight Elena Esparza for her total involvement, great sensitivity in all matters, closeness, and for her good work and management of the team she leads. I highlight María José Ramos and Carmen Bardi, who in addition to being technically excellent, have always shown maximum availability and passion for their work.’
‘We value Cesar and Eva’s practical support. They’ve been close to us for good decisions and also very sensitive and high exposure matter. We do have the impression they are very reliable and will be there when needed.’
Willis Towers Watson Services
Information Services Group
- Advised Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy on the preparation, negotiation and implementation of a collective redundancy procedure to close two plants in Spain.
- Assisted connectors and sensors manufacturer TE Connectivity with the preparation, negotiation and implementation of a collective redundancy procedure to close a plant.
- Advised cosmetics retailer Douglas on the coordination of the global and local restructuring, including the collective redundancy procedure in Spain which affected around 100 employees.
Spain > Insurance Tier 3The ‘smart and detailed oriented‘ team at CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo stands out for its knowledge of the insurtech sector, and has considerable experience advising insurers on the submission of innovation projects to the regulatory sandbox. Outside of insurtech, the firm is also equipped to advise insurance-sector clients on a range of regulatory, transactional and contentious matters. At a wider level, the firm continues to invest in technology and innovation, offering a number of legal tech tools and online platforms to its clients, and provides analysis and news on financial services regulation through its RegZone platform. Jaime Bofill leads the department, and Rafael Sáez is a key counsel in the team. Macarena Sanz González left the firm in January 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Rafael Sáez; Jorge Etreros
‘Deep expertise on insurance and companies incorporation. Strong reactivity and support, from senior to junior team members. Multiple capabilities, from legal set-up to data protection.’
‘Clear and structured. Smart and detailed oriented. Strong business sense and pragmatic. Reactive and supportive. Genuinely nice to work with, caring and deeply involved.’
‘The financial services team at CMS was familiar and experienced with innovation beyond financial services, allowing them to help steer our internal teams in structuring our innovative propositions.’
- Advised Helvetia Venture Funds, SICAR and Freshurance in their collaboration to submit an innovation project to the Spanish regulatory sandbox, consisting in the creation of the first Spanish neo-insurer.
- Advising Luko, a French insurtech company, on its entry into the Spanish market with its innovative 100% digital house insurance application.
- Provided advice to AXA regarding regulatory consultations, including complex reports on new products and managing the relationship with the Spanish Insurance Regulator.
‘Good knowledge of the judicial processes in the commercial order.’
- Securing for Atresmedia a win before the ECJ regarding the absence of the obligation for broadcasters to pay remuneration rights of synchronised phonograms in broadcasted audiovisual works.
- Advising Audible on the drafting and negotiation of over 200 licence and distribution agreements with authors and publishers in Spanish to be included in the platform.
- Provided advice to SABIS on the drafting of the outsourcing agreement to be used as a basis for negotiations and contracting with potential service providers and the legal review of the different request for proposals for a global tender process.
Eli Lilly and Company
Closure Systems International
- Providing CBRE with ongoing advice on the protection of all its intangible assets, including on the filing of a broad range of trade marks, patents, copyrights and trade secrets assessment.
- Providing advice to Chargy Technologies in relation to a claim which was filed against its former in-house technology team regarding patent and trade mark infringement, unfair competition and trade secrets protection matters.
- Advising Sygenta on its anti-counterfeiting activity, particularly in customs proceedings.
‘I work with Maria Gonzalez Gordon on intellectual property matters in Spain, she is energetic, creative and very hardworking. Her advice is always clear and practical.’
‘Excellent international networking, decades of experience, excellent responsiveness, reasonable prices, high professionalism, friendly, courteous approach.’
‘María González Gordon works extremely efficiently, has an enormous knowledge of trade mark law and related fields of law, shows outstanding strategic intuition, creates solutions and, for example, not new difficulties with her clear answers and is thus the self-evident number 1 for us in Spain.’
‘María González Gordon really stands out – she is highly professional and responsive.’
‘I found the CMS team to be highly responsive to our requests, as well as proactive and practical with their recommendations. Both the partner and associate on the file were well-versed on the matter and were responsive to last minute requests for assistance.’
CBRE (CB Richard Ellis)
1031023 B.C. Ltd. (“Phantom Creek Estates”)
Common Project Trading
Grupo 888 Holdings
Hikma Pharmaceuticals and Teva Pharmaceuticals
Colinas Golf Residencial
- Advised Adama in relation to the use of its sign “Adama” in Spain and infringement of third parties’ rights.
- Advising Otovo on the protection of its trade secrets through the implementation of the corresponding measures and Spanish trade mark registration matters.
- Providing Common Project Trading advice in the context of litigation regarding the opposing party’s claim based on the alleged parallel imports of the protected Havaianas flip-flops by the client.
Spain > Tax Tier 3CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo has an ‘impressive' and ‘very professional' tax practice, which stands out for its advice on inbound investments, and for its support to foreign clients on the range of contentious and advisory matters. The firm’s ‘very well integrated network' boosts its cross-border capabilities and it has particularly strong links with French multinationals operating in Spain, including new client Rubis Terminal. ‘One of the tax market’s benchmark advisers', Diego de Miguel heads the group, supported by ‘fast and decisive' counsel Ricardo Héctor.
Diego de Miguel
Other key lawyers:
‘Impressive. Focused on results, always available and very competitive.’
‘Apart from the technical excellence that is presumed to the CMS-level law firms, what makes its tax team different is that both Diego de Miguel and the members of his team are very practical when it comes to guiding the advice. They perfectly identify our needs and whenever we have required it, they have been totally flexible and very successful when fitting their services into our projects to make us a “tailor-made” job. Likewise, we especially appreciate that they manage matters very well.’
‘CMS has a very well integrated network, in which Diego de Miguel is very well connected and maintains good personal contact with many of his counterparts in other jurisdictions, which has been useful to us in many occasions.’
‘Close, hard-working and strict with deadlines.’
‘Diego de Miguel has a deserved reputation in the sector. He is considered one of the tax market’s benchmark advisers, which, based on our experience with him, is fully deserved. Technically he is very good and, above all, very complete, with a very broad vision of the tax panorama, which allows him to identify issues that others do not see. In addition, he has a great commercial vision, he always empathizes with us.’
‘Ricardo Héctor is a very complete lawyer, with whom we work mainly in M&A operations. His profile and previous experience (ex big four), make him a perfect advisor for this type of work. We have the perception that Ricardo is a prosecutor very oriented to our needs and totally adapted to our way of working. We are very happy with him, he is fast and decisive.’
Chubb Insurance Group
Franklin Templeton Social Infrastructure Fund (FTSIF)
RothschildCo Spain (RothschidCo Group)
- Assisted Macquarie Capital with the tax implications of several transactions relating to optical fibre cable in Spain.
- Advised Rubis Terminal on the tax aspects of the purchase of Tepsa, a Spanish group in the storage of bulk liquid products.
- Acted for French energy group Engie in a successful claim against the Spanish state in relation to the recovery of undue tax payments.
Spain > Banking and finance Tier 4CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo acts for a number of the leading financial institutions operating in Spain, and also has a strong base of clients in the insurance sector. Acquisition finance and debt refinancing are noted specialisms, and its assistance in international finance deals is strengthened both by the wider firm network and the experience of practice head Guillermo Muñoz-Alonso, who has worked at leading firms in Spain and the UK. Senior associate Marta González Araña is recommended as ‘a fighter with very good arguments‘. The department was given a further boost by the arrival of financial services regulation expert Ricardo Plasencia in October 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘International experience and background.’
‘The team is versatile and accessible, very client-oriented. They always involve highly experienced attorneys, often the partner himself, which gives a lot of confidence. Superb coordination with the real estate and tax departments.’
‘Very satisfied with the incorporation of Guillermo Muñoz-Alonso as managing partner of the department. Guillermo has a lot of experience and a great capacity for analysis. He knows how to put himself in the position of the client and also has excellent “personal skills” to build trust.’
‘Closeness and professionalism. A lot of availability.’
‘Very good understanding of the industry. Marta Gonzalez Araña: A fighter with very good arguments and high availability.’
‘The firm’s approach is very practical based on a good understanding of the company’s needs and the market situation and financial institutions. This makes the work much more focused and efficient than with others, and very good results are achieved in terms of the conditions of the agreements, legal certainty and time.’
‘Guillermo Muñoz Alonso – very good understanding of the situation and very practical approach, achieving excellent results.’
Air Liquide España
Global Student Accommodation
Blue Sea Hotels
- Advised German renewable investor Encavis on the financing granted to its subsidiary Cabrera Energía Solar for a 200MW solar project in Seville.
- Acted for Spanish restaurants group Grupo Lateral in Spanish law matters relating to an amendment and restatement agreement of a facilities agreement.
- Advised Air Liquide on an amended and restated programme of assignment of master trade receivables for a maximum amount of €350m.
Other key lawyers:
‘CMS real estate is our reference team. We work with them day by day. They have always been up to the task and far above the circumstances. Extensive knowledge in real estate/construction, they know the real estate sector very well and have a vision that goes beyond the pure legal point (commercial, business), which, without a doubt, helps a lot in complex transactions.’
‘The real estate team in this practice is of a high quality, in this sense I would highlight Jorge Peño, a lawyer with a great knowledge of the sector, an excellent knowledge of the regulations and who adds to all this great care for the matters that he processes.’
‘Alvaro Otero is a person who is involved with the client, who always looks for alternatives and also favours communication.’
‘It has been very easy to get on with the members of the firm with whom we have worked.’
APG Asset Management
Allianz Real Estate
CBRE Global Investors
Seguros Santa Lucía
Franklin Templeton Social Infrastructure Fund (FTSIF)
- Advising Ocado on its agreement with Auchan Retail for the construction of automated warehouses which will incorporate Ocado’s software Ocado Smart Platform to be used for online retailing of foodstuffs.
- Advising Cofininmo on its acquisition of a portfolio of four nursing homes located in several locations in Spain, as well as other assets to be converted into nursing homes.
- Advising Catella on multiple real estate investment transactions involving student residences, as well as residential and office buildings in Spain.
Juan Ignacio Fernández Aguado
Other key lawyers:
Chamartín La Grela
Grupo Casabella Proyectos Inmobiliarios
MGO By Westfield
- Advised real estate group Chamartín La Grela on its involuntary insolvency, providing representation in the compulsory proceedings around the issue of its liability.
- Acted for Grupo ITEK in the restructuring of its financial debt with a syndicate of Spanish banks led by Banco Santander.
- Advised Engie Group on the insolvency proceeding of Elodea regarding the debt in an industrial construction for Vestas.
Spain > EU and competition Tier 5Carlos Vérgez heads the three-strong competition and EU department at CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo, which has a solid track record acting for clients in cartel investigations and merger control, and in the implementation and improvement of competition law compliance programmes. Senior associate Aida Oviedo, who has particular experience in matters related to abuse of dominant position, merger control and unfair competition, is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great technical knowledge on competition law matters.’
‘Great professionals with client and business orientation. Highlighting Carlos Vergez.’
Coca-Cola European Partners
- Assisted in the notification to the European Commission of the acquisition by Macquarie and Aberdeen of a majority stake in the fibre optic network owned by MásMóvil.
- Advising a Japanese multinational in an appeal before the High Court of Valencia against an infringement decision of the Valencian Competition Authority.
- Advising Campillo before the Spanish Supreme Court in the State Attorney’s appeal against the National Court’s judgment in the refrigerated transport cartel case.
CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo > Firm Profile
Ranked as a top global law firm, CMS is present in 43 countries and boasts 75 offices worldwide. Our 4,800 plus CMS lawyers offer you specialist advice on numerous sectors, tailored to your needs whether in your local market or across multiple jurisdictions.
CMS’ Spanish-based firm, CMS Albiñana & Suárez de Lezo, employs more than 120 lawyers located in Madrid and Barcelona. It is highly regarded and is among the leading business law firms in Spain, advising corporate and public entities on all areas of business law, including contentious matters. The firm has particular standout experience in the energy, construction, financial, TMT, consumer goods and hotels and leisure sectors.
|Corporate / M&A | Capital Markets||Cesar Albiñanafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate / M&A||Rafael Suárez de Lezoemail@example.com|
|Corporate / M&A||Carlos Peñafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate / M&A||Luis Miguel de Diosemail@example.com|
|Corporate / M&A||José María Rojífirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate / M&A||Antonio Pinoemail@example.com|
|Corporate / M&A||Mariano Bautistafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate / M&A | Capital Markets||Ignacio Zarzalejosemail@example.com|
|Corporate / M&A||Pedro Ferrerasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate / M&A||Rafael Sáezemail@example.com|
|Corporate / M&A||José Ramón Meléndezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Public Law & Regulated Sectors||Ignacio Grangelemail@example.com|
|Public Law & Regulated Sectors||Reyes Robledofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Public Law & Regulated Sectors||José Luis Pérez-Campoamoremail@example.com|
|Litigation & Arbitration | White-Collar Crime||Carlos Aguilarfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Litigation & Arbitration||María Dolores de Cospedalemail@example.com|
|Litigation & Arbitration | Insolvency & Restructuring||Juan Ignacio Fernández Aguadofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Litigation & Arbitration||Luis Javier Vidalemail@example.com|
|Litigation & Arbitration||Jorge Sánchezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Litigation & Arbitration||Antonio Fernández de Hoyosemail@example.com|
|EU & Competition||Carlos Vérgezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tax||Diego de Miguelemail@example.com|
|Employment & Pensions||Eva Cecafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Employment & Pensions||César Navarroemail@example.com|
|Employment & Pensions||Elena Esparzafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Intellectual / Industrial Property & Digital Business||María González Gordonemail@example.com|
|TMC / Data Protection||Javier Torre de Silvafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|TMC / Data Protection||Jorge Sánchezemail@example.com|
|Real Estate & Construction||Álvaro Oterofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Energy & Natural Resources||César Albiñanaemail@example.com|
|Energy & Natural Resources||Ignacio Grangelfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Energy & Natural Resources||Luis Miguel De Diosemail@example.com|
|Consumer Products||Carlos Vérgezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Infrastructure & Projects||Javier Torre De Silvaemail@example.com|
|Life Sciences & Healthcare||Mariano Bautistafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hotels & Leisure||Mariano Bautistaemail@example.com|
|Hotels & Leisure||Álvaro Oterofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate / M&A||Ignacio Cerratoemail@example.com|
|Litigation & Arbitration||Emilio Moyanofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate / M&A||Irene Miróemail@example.com|
Staff FiguresTotal workforce in Spain : 180 Number of lawyers : 110
LanguagesSpanish English German French
OtherBarcelona : firstname.lastname@example.org
CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo > Firm Profile
CMS’ Spanish-based firm, CMS Albiñana & Suárez de Lezo, employs more than 100 lawyers located in Madrid, Barcelona and Seville, and is regarded as one of the most prestigious in the Spanish market, striving to establish a close working relationship with clients in order to fully understand their needs and offer innovative solutions in all areas of Law.
Ranked as a Top 10 Global Law Firm, CMS is present in 41 countries and 72 offices worldwide. Our 4,800 plus CMS lawyers offer specialist advice on numerous sectors tailored to our clients needs, whether in the local market or across multiple jurisdictions.
LanguagesSpanish English French German
Doing business in the UAECMS’s John O’Connor and Harkee Wilson discuss the challenges and issues businesses face operating in the UAE and investigate some of the recent changes in the business environment.
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Data privacy and data protection
- Dispute resolution
- Intellectual property: Copyright
- Intellectual property: patents
- Intellectual property: Trade marks