Thompson Hine LLP > Columbus, United States > Firm Profile
Thompson Hine LLP Offices
41 SOUTH HIGH STREET
COLUMBUS, OH 43215-6101
Thompson Hine LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsThompson Hine LLP‘s Washington DC-based practice has extensive experience in regulatory debates concerning the transportation of hazardous materials by rail, including safety and liability issues and common carrier obligations. The team also acts in rail rate cases, including matters for the chemical and plastics industries, while electric utilities seek out the team for coal transportation issues. It additionally advises on the full gamut of motor carrier work, including regulatory rulemaking proceedings and federal preemption-related litigation. Karyn Booth is a regulatory and commercial freight rail specialist, and Sandra L. Brown advises on the transportation by rail of coal, chemicals, crude oil and other hazardous materials. Former senior US Department of Transportation official Tim Goodman ‘has vast industry knowledge‘, while counsel David Benz is a freight railroad regulation expert.
‘The team’s ability to understand the issues at hand rapidly, based on industry and legal experience, has been instrumental in the risk analyses we take at the company.‘
‘The TH team gives practical advice, without overly complicated legalese, that can be quickly actioned.‘
‘What I enjoy most about the Thompson Hine team is that they make you feel like a partner, not just a client. They introduce you to potential partners, bring potential opportunities for efficiencies to light, and give you the feeling that they really are part of your team.‘
‘Tim Goodman has vast industry knowledge; and, having worked both for NHTSA and in private practice, he has an edge over the competition. Tim is responsive, practical and direct with his replies and advice.‘
‘Tim Goodman is an outstanding communicator, who doesn’t talk in vague terms or give nebulous answers. You get straightforward answers to questions, and he utilizes his experience and past relationships to streamline answers to projects.‘
‘Sandra Brown and counsel David Benz are both extremely knowledgeable in the area of transportation, specifically railroad law. They are in tune with the policies of the Federal Railroad Administration and the Surface Transportation Board, and are able to advise my railroad company on almost any matter.‘
‘Sandra Brown and David Benz are business minded, and able to assist with long- term business strategy, while ensuring certain legal hurdles are either avoided or anticipated and prepared for.‘
‘I have always been very impressed with the responsiveness of both Sandra Brown and David Benz. They make me feel that my company is highly valued, because they are quick to return calls, answer emails, produce summaries and white papers, and provide timelines for their work.‘
Alaska-Alberta Railway Development Corporation
American Chemistry Council
American Forest & Paper Association
Corn Refiners Association
Costco Wholesale Corporation
Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries
LFS Freight Solutions
National Association of Chemical Distributors
Port of Moses Lake
Suez Water Technologies
The Dow Chemical Company
The Fertilizer Institute
The National Industrial Transportation League
Toyota Tsusho America
- Representing Southern Company, Ameren Corporation and NiSource in fuel surcharge-related antitrust litigation against four large railroads.
- Assisted CA -AB 5 Coalition Members with filing an amicus curiae brief at the US Supreme Court in support of the trucking industry’s Petition for Certiorari, which sought review of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ ruling that California’s AB-5 law (as applied to motor carriers) is not pre-empted.
‘Emma Off is amazing in all areas of law. She really works to find the right attorney in the firm for us. She always follows up with referrals and makes sure we are happy. Her billing is always fair and accurate.’
‘Emma Off is our main contact as she handles our business contract needs. She is truly a caring person with concern about protecting our business.’
‘Always willing to help at the drop of a hat, always thorough and up to speed prior to meetings, and always very proactive’
‘Will Henry is everything you want in a lawyer – he’s incredibly detail oriented, organized, understands our complex business structure better than anyone at the company, and constantly available any time of day or night. We’re lucky to have found him as our partner’
Centre Lane Partners, LLC
BrightSpring (formerly PharMerica)
Peppertree Capital Management, Inc.
Rite Track Equipment Services, Inc.
InMarket Media LLC
Crown Equipment Corporation
‘Responsiveness would be one of the top things I would say sets these guys apart.’
‘Very knowledgeable; responsive; and very helpful in pulling information together.’
Costello Construction of Maryland Inc.
J&S Franklin Ltd.
LION Group, Inc.
Mission Essential, LLC
Norair Engineering Corp.
ThunderCat Technologies, Inc.
- Represented Amentum in a challenge before Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals to Department of the Air Force’s direction to perform additional aircraft maintenance work.
- Represented Academy Leadership in a protest before Government Accountability Office to overturn award to competitor following agency failure to conduct proper discussion during procurement.
- Represented Costello in resolution of bid withdrawal in a $28 million bid with Fairfax County, Virginia.
Costco Wholesale Corporation
Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries
National Association of Chemicals Distributors
The Coalition for Fair Port Practices
The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company
The National Industrial Transportation League
- Advising the National Industrial Transportation League in relation to major port congestion and supply chain disruptions occurring in the US.
- Advising a big box retail store in relation to global supply chain disruptions, lack of adequate vessel capacity and port congestion.
- Assisting a home appliance company with resolving a dispute with various vessel operating ocean carriers, non-vessel operating ocean carriers and Class-I railroads, in relation to demurrage, detention and storage charges.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are responsive and practical with their advice. They know what is important to us and help to accomplish our goals.’
‘I value their experience and candor. They advise us of market norms and help us think creatively about what really matters.’
‘Thomson Hine (TH) has been my main construction law firm in Ohio for many years, mainly because of their depth of knowledge and experience in the areas of design and construction. TH attorneys are responsive and easy to work with.’
‘Jeff Appelbaum has been a friend and trusted advisor to me in many matters over the years. If I have a legal problem I know I can contact Jeff and get a response in a very short time. Unlike some other firms, Jeff always makes you feel like your case is the most important case at the firm. Daniel Haymond is another excellent lawyer extremely skilled in litigation.’
‘Thompson Hine is a stand out law firm in construction. They are second to none experts, are pragmatic, can help get deals done and do it all at a fair price. I would use them for routine matters and bet the firm type issues.’
‘Alan Ritchie is the primary partner we work with. I would provide him a particular shout out, even though the whole team is strong. Alan is highly responsive, a second to none expert, and can really help us understand the risks in a non-technical way. Additionally, he is a really strong negotiator, who is able to pragmatically work contracts and disputes to resolution both effectively and efficiently.’
‘In-depth knowledge of construction contracting coupled with understanding of the business of construction. T-H is responsive and collaborative. I think a true differentiator is that they have an aligned project management practice which keeps them up to date on current, “real world” trends.’
‘The construction team at Thompson Hine are experts in the field of construction law. They are not only subject matter experts but they are creative and strategic thinkers and my go-to law firm when I am in a pinch and need counsel in the subject of construction law.’
Haslam Sports Group (Confluence Village – Crew Stadium)
TKFC LC (St. Louis Soccer Stadium)
Convention Center Hotels
HOF Village, Inc.
Nippon Paint (USA) Inc.
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame + Museum
County of Cuyahoga
- Acting for the ownership group of the new $460m, 22,000-seat St. Louis soccer stadium project that will include a stadium, sports complex, practice fields and a team headquarters.
- Acting as owner’s representative for the approximately $1bn Justice Center Complex project, which includes Cleveland Municipal Court, Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court and the county’s main jail.
- Advising Broward County on its convention center expansion and headquarters hotel project.
Industry focus > Sport Tier 4Thompson Hine LLP is recognized for its construction law expertise, as it provides legal and consulting services for the design, development and construction of professional sports facilities. The practice has been involved in numerous construction projects for mixed-used development and sports arenas, primarily working on behalf of sports teams and owners. Jeffrey R. Appelbaum leads the team, often serving as project counsel, owner’s representative, partnering facilitator or insurance and risk consultant. Also featured in the team are Alan Ritchie and Patrick J. Sweeney, with combined experience working on community impact projects and transactions involving sports owners. All named lawyers are based in Cleveland.
‘Extremely knowledgeable in the sports practice. Were able to provide a clear roadmap for engagement with public partners and collaborated well with the project team.’
‘The team is one of the, if not, preeminent consultants for evaluating insurance programs for major arena and stadium financings. The team has pretty much been involved in all major projects over the last number of years and provides an expertise that is not found elsewhere.’
‘Able to clearly understand a difficult and complex problem and then arrive at creative solutions.’
‘The sports practice has great experience on similar projects which helps to streamline our process and keep fees reasonable. They understand the core risks we are taking and more importantly how best to mitigate them.’
‘Jeff Appelbaum and Alan Ritchie have extensive experience, which has been invaluable for us during our projects. Our project has several layers of complexity, and they were able to help us synthesize the core dynamics at every step.’
‘The team has contacts within the industry when additional expertise is needed and works in a collaborative manner.’
‘This practice is very knowledgeable about the sports industry, particularly the development of sports venues.’
‘The individuals are industry experts in risk management and construction law. I would like to give mention to Jeff Appelbaum and Patrick Sweeney. Both are excellent.’
Haslam Sports Group
HOF Village, Inc.
Truist Financial Corporation
J.P. Morgan Securities LLC
Bank of America
San Francisco 49ers
- Advised TKFC LC regarding the new $460 million, 22,000-seat St. Louis soccer stadium project that will include a stadium, sports complex, practice fields and a team headquarters.
- Advised Haslam Sports Group on the $344 million Confluence Village, which includes a new 20,000-seat MLS soccer stadium, mixed-use development and new training facility.
- Advised HOF Village, Inc on the development, coordinated design and construction agreements for the$300+ million Hall of Fame Village, powered by Johnson Controls.
Simplified Exchanged Traded Funds
Northern Lights Fund Trust, Variable, III & IV
Collaborative Investment Series Trust
Advisers Investment Trust
ALPS Series Trust
Pacific Global ETF Trust
Boston Trust Walden Funds
Bluerock Total Income + Real Estate Fund
Sprott Funds Trust
- Assisting various advisers and fund trusts (including Northern Lights Fund Trust, Unified Series Trust and Ohio National) with the drafting of policies and procedures and required investment agreements to allow certain funds to rely on Rule 12d1-4 prior to required compliance with the rule.
- Advised Vertical Capital Income Fund, a NYSE traded closed-end fund, on the design and implementation of a revised investment strategy along with managed distribution plan in response to the ongoing aggression of several activist investors.
- Developed – in conjunction with SS&C/ALPS Fund Services – a scalable, cost-effective platform for launching interval funds.
Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design Tier 4Thompson Hine LLP advises on a range of benefits matters, including 401(k) plans, defined benefit plans, deferred compensation arrangements, including Section 409A compliance issues, as well as health and welfare plans. In Cleveland, Julia Ann Love leads the practice and focuses on group health plan rules under the Affordable Care Act, while Washington DC-based Dominic DeMatties advises on ERISA compliance issues relating to tax-qualified and non-qualified deferred compensation arrangements. Other key members of the team include David Whaley, Timothy Brown, Kim Wilcoxon and Laura Ryan, who are all based in the firm’s Cincinnati office.
‘The team are very good at putting things into layman’s terms. They do a good job giving you the legal background for the situation, but summarize the legislation/action steps needed in a way that is easy to digest and is actionable.’
Nouryon Chemicals LLC
Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
Akzo Nobel Inc.
Delta Air Lines
National Rural Electric Cooperative Association
North Dakota Farmers Union
- Advising McDonald’s Corporation on all aspects of its health and welfare plans, 401(k) plan and non-qualified deferred compensation arrangements and other deferred compensation arrangements subject to Code Section 409A.
- Advising on all aspects of Chick-fil-A’s qualified and non-qualified retirement plans and health and welfare plans.
Real estate Tier 4Thompson Hine LLP has developed a specialty advising clients on corporate expansion, new construction, development and acquisition, particularly as it relates to headquarters and commercial properties in Ohio. Tax-driven real estate financing, leasing, planning and development work are also its core areas of instruction. Based in Cleveland, Thomas Coyne is the longtime head of national practice. He is assisted by Darrel Davison in Columbus and Robert Curry in Dayton.
‘Highly experienced real estate team. Their experience and knowledge have helped us “short cut” getting up to speed as a start up real estate fund sponsor. They have really worked with us as partners and have been generous with their time.’
Raytheon Technologies Corporation
Bank of China
Brookfield Asset Management/Brookfield Properties (formerly Forest City Realty Trust, Inc.)
Pratt & Whitney
Peppertree / K2 / Blue Sky
- Representing a financial institution in a $40m mixed use multi-family project with historic tax credits and new market tax credits.
- Advising Raytheon Technologies Corp., through its Pratt & Whitney Division on billion-dollar development project in Asheville, North Carolina, including negotiation of Master Development Agreement with Biltmore Farms LLC.
- Representing the Ackermann Group in connection with a four-phase $100m development for multi- family, office and retail use in Cincinnati involving New Market Tax Credits, Tax Increment Financing, and a Development Agreement with the city of Cincinnati.
Thompson Hine LLP > Firm Profile
Thompson Hine LLP, a full-service business law firm with approximately 400 lawyers in eight offices (Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, New York, Washington, DC), is widely recognized for its innovative, value-driven approach to delivering legal services. The firm’s groundbreaking SmartPaTHTM program was created to respond to clients’ needs for a more predictable, efficient and transparent service experience. It combines legal project management, value-based pricing, flexible staffing and process efficiency to align service delivery with clients’ business goals. Thompson Hine has made significant investments in talent, proprietary technology and processes, and infrastructure to increase efficiency and provide greater value.
As part of its ongoing efforts to innovate service delivery, Thompson Hine continually collects feedback from in-house counsel about what innovations align best with clients’ needs and has conducted two formal analyses of the state of innovation in the legal market. The firm commissioned detailed surveys and interviews of in-house counsel and other senior executives and published its findings in comprehensive reports. These surveys aim to monitor developments in the corporate legal market and identify opportunities to further refine its delivery of efficient, predictable and transparent legal solutions.
Thompson Hine has long guided clients on furthering their efforts toward sustainability, diversity and social stewardship. At this critical juncture when ESG criteria are increasing in importance as priorities for businesses, their boards and investors, the firm is counseling clients on ESG strategies focused on preserving value and mitigating risk. Thompson Hine’s ESG Collaborative, a multidisciplinary team of lawyers with practical legal and business knowledge, helps develop, implement and fine-tune strategies to incorporate ESG criteria into clients’ business models to satisfy internal and external stakeholders. The group uses proprietary SmartPaTH tools, significant investments in technology and strategies such as legal project management, flexible staffing and value-based pricing to help clients achieve their objectives while providing enhanced value and predictability. In late 2021, ESG Collaborative attorneys issued “An ESG Snapshot,” a survey report that in-house counsel and senior corporate executives will find a useful benchmark against which to measure their programs and progress. The report summarizes the results of a survey exploring the ESG standards that investors and other key stakeholders are increasingly applying as part of their evaluation to identify material risks and growth opportunities.
Thompson Hine. Always Innovating.
Main Areas of Practice
• Admiralty & Maritime
• Antitrust, Competition & Distribution
• Automotive & Mobility
• Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies
• Business Litigation
• Business Restructuring, Creditors’ Rights & Bankruptcy
• Cannabis Industry
• Climate Change & Sustainable Business Solutions
• Commercial & Public Finance
• Corporate Transactions & Securities
• COVID-19 Task Force
• Distressed M&A
• Emerging Technologies
• Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
• ERISA Litigation
• ESG Collaborative
• FCPA & Other Antibribery Laws
• Fund Formation
• Government Contracts
• Government Enforcement, Internal Investigations & White Collar Defense
• Health Care
• Intellectual Property
• International Arbitration
• International Trade
• Investment Management
• Labor & Employment
• Life Sciences
• New Ventures
• Personal & Succession Planning
• Privacy & Cybersecurity
• Product Liability Litigation
• Qualified Opportunity Zones
• Real Estate
• Securities & Shareholder Litigation
• Supply Chain Management
• Tax Credit Finance
• Water Technology, Finance & Regulation
|Admiralty & Maritime||Robert W Burger||Rob.Burger@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5790|
|Antitrust, Competition & Distribution||Thomas F Zych||Tom.Zych@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5605|
|Automotive & Mobility||Conor A McLaughlin||Conor.McLaughlin@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5807|
|Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies||Cassandra W Borchers||Cassandra.Borchers@ThompsonHine.com||513.352.6632|
|Business Litigation||Brian J Lamb||Brian.Lamb@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5590|
|Business Restructuring, Creditors' Rights & Bankruptcy||Curtis L Tuggle||Curtis.Tuggle@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5904|
|Cannabis Industry||Frank R DeSantis||Frank.DeSantis@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5514|
|Climate Change & Sustainable Business Solutions||Andrew L Kolesar||Andrew.Kolesar@ThompsonHine.com||513.352.6545|
|Commercial and Public Finance||Irving C Apar||Irving.Apar@ThompsonHine.com||212.908.3964|
|Construction||Jeffrey R Appelbaum||Jeff.Appelbaum@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5548|
|Corporate Transactions and Securities||Frank D Chaiken||Frank.Chaiken@ThompsonHine.com||513.352.6550|
|Distressed M&A||Scott B Lepene||Scott.Lepene@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5692|
|Emerging Technologies||Thomas F Zych||Tom.Zych@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5605|
|Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation||Julia Ann Love||Julia.Love@ThompsonHine.come||216.566.5686|
|Energy||Marvin T Griff||Marvin.Griff@ThompsonHine.com||202.263.4109|
|Environmental||Andrew L Kolesar||Andrew.Kolesar@ThompsonHine.com||513.352.6545|
|ERISA Litigation||Brian J Lamb||Brian.Lamb@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5590|
|ESG Collaborative||Jurgita Ashley||Jurgita.Ashley@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.8928|
|FCPA and other antibribery laws||Norman A Bloch||Norman.Bloch@ThompsonHine.com||212.908.3942|
|Fund Formation||JoAnn M Strasser||JoAnn.Strasser@ThompsonHine.com||614.469.3265|
|Government Contracts||Tom Mason||Thomas.Mason@ThompsonHine.com||202.263.4168|
|Government Enforcement, Internal Investigations & White Collar Defense||Joan Meyer||Joan.Meyer@ThompsonHine.com||202.263.4115|
|Health Care||Cori R. Haper||Cori.Haper@ThompsonHine.com||937.443.6856|
|Health Care Litigation||Peter Kocoras||Peter.Kocaras@ThompsonHine.com||312.998.4241|
|Immigration||Sarah C Flannery||Sarah.Flannery@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5718|
|Insurance||Alan F Berliner||Alan.Berliner@ThompsonHine.com||614.469.3268|
|Intellectual Property||Ash D Patel||Ash.Patel@ThompsonHine.com||404.407.3607|
|International Arbitration||Richard De Palma||Richard.DePalma@ThompsonHine.com||212.908.3969|
|International||Garrett D Evers||Garrett.Evers@ThompsonHine.com||212.908.3926|
|International Trade||David M Schwartz||David.Schwartz@ThompsonHine.com||202.263.4170|
|Investment Management||JoAnn Strasser||JoAnn.Strasser@ThompsonHine.com||614.469.3265|
|Labor and Employment||Nancy M Barnes||Nancy.Barnes@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5578|
|Life Sciences||Faith L Charles||Faith.Charles@ThompsonHine.com||212.908.3905|
|New Ventures||Jonathon H Vinocur||Jonathon.Vinocur@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5722|
|Personal and Succession Planning||Mark A Conway||Mark.Conway@ThompsonHine.com||937.443.6840|
|Privacy and Cybersecurity||Thomas F Zych||Tom.Zych@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5605|
|Product Liability Litigation||Andrew H Cox||Andrew.Cox@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5747|
|Qualified Opportunity Zones||Thomas J Coyne||Thomas.Coyne@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5781|
|Real Estate||Thomas J Coyne||Thomas.Coyne@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5781|
|Securities & Shareholder Litigation||Renee Zaytsev||Renee.Zaytsev@ThompsonHine.com||212.908.3981|
|Supply Chain Management||Robert F Ware||Rob.Ware@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5783|
|Tax||Thomas J Callahan||Tom.Callahan@ThompsonHine.com||216.566.5612|
|Tax Credit Finance||Arik A Sherk||Arik.Sherk@ThompsonHine.com||937.443.6757|
|Telecommunications||Barry A Friedman||Barry.Friedman@ThompsonHine.com||202.263.4108|
|Transportation||Karyn A Booth||Karyn.Booth@ThompsonHine.com||202.263.4108|
|Water Technology, Finance & Regulation||Gregory D Chafee||Greg.Chafee@ThompsonHine.com||404.407.3642|
|Jack Clark||Jack is a senior managing associate in Thompson Hine’s Construction practice group,…||View Profile|
|Andrew Davalla||Andrew is a partner in the firm’s Corporate Transactions & Securities and Investment…||View Profile|
|Darrel Davison||Darrel is a partner in the firm’s Real Estate practice group. He…||View Profile|
|John B. Kopf||John is a litigator. He is a partner in the firm’s Construction…||View Profile|
|JoAnn Strasser||JoAnn is a partner and vice chair of our Corporate Transactions &…||View Profile|
|Dan Ujczo||Dan is a senior counsel in the firm’s International Trade and Transportation…||View Profile|
|Michael Wible||Mike is the partner in charge of our Columbus office and a…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of Partners : 213 Number of Other Lawyers : 173
OtherLocations of Offices : Atlanta, Georgia Locations of Offices : Chicago, Illinois Locations of Offices : Cincinnati, Ohio Locations of Offices : Cleveland, Ohio Locations of Offices : Columbus, Ohio Locations of Offices : Dayton, Ohio Locations of Offices : New York, New York Locations of Offices : Washington D.C.
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - litigation and regulation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Government > Government contracts
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - litigation and regulation
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Industry focus > Sport
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Real estate