K&L Gates > New York, United States > Firm Profile
K&L Gates Offices
599 LEXINGTON AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022-6030
K&L Gates > The Legal 500 Rankings
Robert Zinn; Rick Giovannelli; Annette Becker; Mark McMillan
‘The Charlotte office of K&L Gates provides a great mix of excellent work product, global reach, and cost-effective rates. The firm provides pragmatic legal solutions, and allows growing companies to “punch above their weight.’
‘This practice has national and local reach. The vast skillset by all the professionals was tremendously helpful in closing and keeping our transaction moving.’
‘Partnership approach to working with clients – high levels of repeat work have enabled K&L Gates to be one step ahead of knowing what is important to us before they begin drafting / markups.’
‘The firm is very client-focused, competent and timely.’
‘The team at K&L Gates led us through the sale of a subsidiary in an extremely short time frame. They kept the process moving along to meet all deadlines, and provided significant guidance to ensure the contract contained appropriate protective language.’
‘The partner and associates that worked on our sale of a subsidiary were extremely knowledgeable and experienced, and fully explained the process and the protections we would need to put in place. They kept the process moving along in a very short time frame and were very responsive to emails and phone calls.’
‘K&L had the depth in resources and knowledge to handle any situations that came up during our transactions with the buyer.’
Office Ally, Inc.
Exact Sciences Corporation
Fintech Meetup, LLC
Sinch Holding AB
BlueScope Steel Ltd
PPG Industries, Inc.
- Represented Securitas AB in connection with its acquisition of Stanley Black & Decker’s electronic security business Stanley Security.
- Acted for Hexagon AB in connection with the acquisition of the enterprise asset management business of Infor (US), LLC and its affiliates (“Infor”) for a total purchase price of approximately $2.8bn.
- Advised Exact Sciences Corporation on its acquisition of Thrive Earlier Detection Corp., a healthcare company dedicated to incorporating earlier cancer detection into routine medical care.
Jeffrey King; Michael Scanlon; Darrell Conner
Other key lawyers:
Global Ports Group
American Maritime Partnership
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings
Lake Carriers’ Association
Mediterranean Shipping Company
American Roll-on Roll-off Carrier Group
Julie Anne Halter; Thomas Smith
Other key lawyers:
NEP Group, Inc.
Michael Scanlon; David Wochner; Karishma Page
‘The KLG team has fully embraced and models the culture of our organization. This makes them credible representatives of our organization as its lawyers represent us on the Hill. The team is highly strategic and helps our steering committee think through, plan and execute.’
‘Karishma Page, as the lead partner, sets the tone for our engagement. As mentioned above she reflects the culture of our organization. We cover a variety of complex topics and she demonstrates a mastery of the issues and is deliberate and thoughtful in guiding us through our challenges. Lauren Flynn supports Karishma and provides incredible support, keeping things on track and well organized.’
‘What makes K&L Gates government relations practice stand out is its deep bench of specific policy expertise coupled with a vast network of bipartisan contacts throughout the government. Whether on Capitol Hill, the Senate or House, federal government regulatory agencies or the White House, they can access those who make the ultimate decisions on critical policy matters.’
‘The K&L team knows how to weave a strategy that pulls together differing viewpoints and achieve alignment on critical issues. It’s harder and more difficult but vital when faced with complex issues.’
Financial Accounting Foundation
Quantum Industry Association
California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS)
The Package Coalition
Consumer Technology Association
Avis Budget Group
Pitney Bowes, Inc.
Global Ports Group
NextDecade Corp. and NEXT Carbon Solutions
American Roll-on Roll-Off Carrier
Universal Stainless & Alloy Products
- Advised the California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS) and its investment committee and board of directors on corporate governance and financial regulatory reform issues in the US, as well as in the EU and UK.
- Acted for Pitney Bowes on a wide range of government relations matters.
- Assisted Transportation Institute with projects in substantive areas ranging from international trade to defense to maritime industry promotion.
Other key lawyers:
Nicholas Froio; Andy Skouvakis; Eric Feldman; Lisa Stark
‘Deep knowledge and expertise with respect to Delaware corporate law. Extremely responsive. Both practical and technical.’
‘Scott Waxman is an excellent lawyer who is very easy to work with and has great client service, quality of work and efficiency of delivery.’
‘For us, what makes Scott Waxman and his team unique is the way they work so seamlessly together to deliver great service. Rather than just providing cookie cutter comments, they took the time to really understand our business and operations so that their comments go deep beneath the surface and really align with our business and operational goals and objectives.’
‘Scott Waxman is one of the preeminent practitioners in Delaware. He is world renowned, and we are honored to have him as our counsel. He has in excess of 30 years’ experience, and he leads his team in diving deep into the minutia to make sure that things run smoothly from top to bottom in every transaction.’
‘Nicholas Froio is a very thorough and personable lawyer.’
‘Eric Feldman is the lawyer to whom you turn when you have an extremely complex matter. He can dig through the most difficult issues with ease.’
‘Andy Skouvakis is a very talented attorney.’
‘Eric Feldman’s drafting skills are masterful, and he is extremely detail-oriented.’
Envision AESC Dynamics Investment Ltd.
Bloomberg Finance, L.P.
Knopp Biosciences LLC
International Paper/Sylvamo Corporation
Wilmington Trust, N.A.
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. /Computershare Trust Company, N.A.
Kwadron spólka z o.o. sp.k
500 N 4th Street LLC d/b/a Standard Power
Volvo Group/Volvo Autonomous Solutions
Lone Star Funds/Lone Star Real Estate Funds
- Advised Bloomberg Finance, L.P. and many subsidiaries and affiliates on matters of Delaware corporate, limited liability company and limited partnership law in connection with a credit facility refinancing.
- Advised Knopp Biosciences LLC on matters of Delaware entity law in connection with the sale by Knopp Biosciences of its subsidiary, Channel Biosciences, LLC, to Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holding Company Ltd.
- Represented Wilmington Trust and its affiliates in numerous transactions in which Wilmington Trust served in various capacities, including as trustee, collateral agent, custodian, verification agent, securities intermediary, and backup servicer.
Other key lawyers:
David Wochner; Timothy Furdyna
‘The firm’s network of worldwide expertise means that we have access to deep skills in all aspects of legal questions. With a very responsive single point of contact, we have been connected with colleagues across a range of functions and industries.’
NextDecade – Rio Grande LNG
CNG Holding 1 LLC
Entergy Services, LLC
NEXT Carbon Solutions
- Representing Rio Grande LNG in its efforts to amend its FERC-authorization for the LNG export terminal to incorporate first-of-its-kind, proprietary carbon capture and sequestration (CCS) systems into the design and operation of its project.
- Successfully sought and obtained an order from FERC declaring our client, CNG HOLDINGS 1, LLC’s facility to produce compressed natural gas was not subject to FERC’s jurisdiction.
David F. McGonigle
‘Initially, it is great to find a firm with national reach that represents policyholders as opposed to insurance carriers. There are not many. I find the firm’s approach on insurance coverage issues to be strategic, based on lots of experience, and oftentimes data driven.’
‘Practical and effective approach; timely responses.’
E.I. duPont de Nemours and Company
Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
Portland General Electric Co.
Standex Electronics, Inc.
Kaiser Gypsum Company, Inc. and Hanson Permanente Cement, Inc. (f/k/a Kaiser Cement Corporation)
- Represented DuPont in an insurance coverage lawsuit in the Delaware Superior Court against multiple insurance companies seeking coverage for benzene-related bodily injury claims that have been asserted against DuPont.
- Represented Quest Diagnostics in a business income loss insurance coverage case filed in a Washington state court arising from civil authority orders issued around the country as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Represented a hotel company in insurance coverage litigation related to alleged violations of sex trafficking laws at franchised hotel locations in various jurisdictions across the country.
Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing) Tier 3K&L Gates brings strength to advising household names brands such as TripAdvisor and Abercrombie & Fitch, on the clearance, prosecution, maintenance, policing, enforcement, and licensing of their global trademark portfolios. The team is led in Chicago by veteran portfolio manager Robert Barrett, who applies experience to advising clients in sectors ranging from biotech, chemical and software, to e-commerce, health care and manufacturing. In Boston, David Byer provides expertise in appearances before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Susan Kayser in Washington DC handles complex global brand launchers. Other key figures include practice area expert Pam Jacobson in Seattle, Stewart Mesher in Austin, who utilizes in-house experience, and Sana Hakim, who guides clients through social media and Web-related issues, and filing strategist Kathryn Starshak in Chicago. Eric Lee in Boston was promoted to partner in January 2023.
Other key lawyers:
‘The trademark team at K&L Gates is one of the most thorough, creative, and thoughtful team of legal professionals I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. They go out of their way to make my job as in-house counsel easier, adapting quickly to changing preferences, risk tolerance, and business style.’
‘Susan Kayser, Eric Lee, and Terrance Roberts make an all-star team! They are responsive and helpful, even under difficult circumstances. I greatly appreciate their constant adaptations to better suit my style and the way in which I like to deliver advice to business teams.’
‘Stewart Mesher’s unique ability to combine his in-house experience with private practice make this team unique.’
Abercrombie & Fitch
Orale Charlie Productions
- Acting as the primary U.S. trademark counsel for the Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, GILLY HICKS, Social Tourist, and YPB brands, providing daily clearance and counseling relating to use and registration of new marks, phrases, and designs to be used by the brands.
- Acting as global IP counsel for drinkware company MiiR, handling its worldwide IP litigation, IP enforcement, and IP prosecution matters.
- Managing trademarks owned by TripAdvisor, directly and through its subsidiaries.
The well-regarded asset management and investment funds practice at K&L Gates has ‘great expertise in all types of fund structures‘ and its client roster includes prominent, busy fund sponsors and managers. Counsel on open and closed-end registered funds, launches of ETFs, and traditional mutual funds are all features of the department’s case load. Mark Amorosi draws on long-standing experience in co-leading the practice group and leading counsel to a wide range of investment advisers, mutual funds and exchange-traded funds, insurance companies, fund boards, banks and other financial institutions. Fellow practice head Ndenisarya Bregasi has a similarly broad practice that includes leading teams that assists investment company complexes and investment advisers of all sizes with day-to-day operations and compliance, and interactions with the SEC. They are both based in Washington DC, while the third of the practice heads, Michael Caccese is a very experienced name who splits his time between Boston and Pittsburgh. In Boston, George Zornada receives significant client praise for his ‘expertise in unique and different fund structures‘.
Mark Amorosi; Ndenisarya Bregasi; Michael Caccese
Other key lawyers:
Mark Goshko; Clair Pagnano; Robert Zutz; George Zornada; Richard Kerr
‘Accessible, practical, vast experience–nothing they haven’t seen before, proactive, professionals that you want as friends.’
‘Robert Zutz–proactive, accessible, nothing he hasn’t seen before, offers practical solutions, understands that little is black and white, can quote regulations off the top of his head.’
‘Great team of professionals that work seamlessly on behalf of the trustees.’
‘George Zornada is a fabulous, attentive, helpful lawyer who’s gives a lot of confidence to the trustees that he has all the issues under control. His style is succinct in a refreshing way, in that he cuts to the essence of a matter quickly without a long and often unnecessary preamble. He is knowledgeable, calm, decisive, balanced and very collegial.’
‘Great expertise in all types of fund structures and reasonable billing rates.’
‘George Zornada – very responsive and easy to work with. Expertise in unique and different fund structures.’
John Hancock Investment Management
Victory Capital Management
Equitable Investment Management and Equitable Funds
Eaton Vance Management
Oakmark Funds and its independent trustees
Independent trustees of the Voya Funds
Independent trustees of the TIAA-CREF Funds
Ariel Funds and its independent trustees
- Acted as fund and adviser counsel to Touchstone in the launch of their first suite of four new ETF products adding to their traditional mutual fund platform.
- Advised Federated Hermes on the launch of its ETFs.
- Advised John Hancock Investment Management and John Hancock Variable Trust Advisers, the investment advisers for all John Hancock investment companies in the US.
Elizabeth Evans; Amanda Darling
Other key lawyers:
Milos Kovacevic; Howard Chang
‘Truly broad global reach with knowledgeable staff based in all the major international hubs.‘
‘The work the team does is spot on, accurate, fast and cost efficient.‘
‘The people who work at K&L Gates are very kind and reliable.‘
‘Elizabeth Evans can always be relied upon to understand the most complicated of aviation finance transactions and document them with combined elegance and efficiency.‘
‘Elizabeth Evans always provides astute advice on negotiation strategy, and is highly business oriented and pragmatic in her approach.‘
‘Amanda Darling is always very easy to deal with – huge understanding of the industry and clients’ companies.‘
JP Lease Products & Services Co
JIA Aviation Finance GK
TC Skyward Aviation (US)
Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank (New York Branch)
Tokyo Century Corporation
Deutsche Bank (Tokyo Branch)
- Represented JP Lease Products & Services in three Japanese operating lease with call option (JOLCO) financings of three Airbus A320 aircraft (with ICBC Financial Leasing as intermediate lessee).
- Representing a Japanese joint venture in a warehouse loan agreement.
- Represented the borrowers (JIA Trust Co and Japanese legal companies) on the financing for five aircraft.
Finance > Fintech Tier 3K&L Gates fields a strong spread of regulatory and transactional lawyers with deep expertise in fintech matters. The client base includes an array of start-ups and emerging growth companies, payments and e-commerce companies, banks, software developers and investors. The firm also acts for wealth management and robo-advisors and an increasing number of players in the crypto, digital assets and blockchain space. Recently the firm has been involved in several high value financing rounds for both start-ups and investors, as well as advising clients on product launches, and day-to-day regulatory and compliance matters. Lead partners include Judith Rinearson who divides her time between London and New York, and corporate partner Rick Giovanelli in Charlotte. Washington DC’s Jennifer Crowder and Linda Odom are respectively strong on regulatory and licensing matters, while Andrew Hinkes in Miami has developed a good name in digital assets and blockchain.
Judith Rinearson; Rick Giovannelli
Fintag Holdings, Inc.
Goldman Sachs & Co
Global Innovations Bank
DelTec Bank and Trust Limited (“DelTec”)
Foris Dax, d/b/a Crypto.com
Global Cryptocurrency brokerage
Independent Trustees of WisdomTree Digital Trust
- Advising DelTec on a range of deal, regulatory, and compliance services, especially with respect to its US clientele.
- Advising a fintech infrastructure provider regulatory guidance and advice in a range of areas, including money transmitter licensing, AML compliance and trust company compliance advice and services.
- Assisting Foris Dax, or Crypto.com, on a range of deals, sponsorships, contractual, licensing and regulatory compliance issues.
The corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense practice at K&L Gates excels in handling international investigations and enforcement proceedings by utilising the company’s presence in many of the world’s major hubs. Strengths in government and internal investigations are complemented by the group’s in-depth sector expertise, including financial services and healthcare, while anti-corruption and anti-bribery also form part of the team’s specializations. Pittsburgh-based Brian Saulnier is particularly well versed in cases relating to corruption and leads the practice jointly with Washington DC’s Stephen Topetzes, who sports deep experience advising both corporate and individual financial services clients. Also in Pittsburgh, former federal prosecutor Thomas Ryan is reputed for his know-how of the healthcare industry.
Brian Saulnier; Stephen Topetzes
‘Extensive experience and perspective from representing various bodies and positions in similar matters.’
‘Relating well in advising and interviewing all levels of staff.’
Westinghouse Electric Company
Sembcorp Marine Limited
Hertel & Brown Physical & Aquatic Therapy, P.C.
Chembio Diagnostics, Inc.
Global Engineering and Construction Company
Melissa Tea; Jeffrey Patterson
Other key lawyers:
‘The team I work with is very smart, superb at trial and superb at negotiation. They can handle anything you throw at them.’
‘Erin Polly, Joe Welborn – comfortable with any work you provide; fiercely loyal to the client; top notch in negotiation and trials.
‘Jason Callen – also fiercely loyal, but more accustomed to his work on transactions and appellate analysis.’
‘We worked together on a huge claim which called for a large legal team to be assembled. K&L Gates brought together a team of people with diverse skills but who integrated seamlessly with one another and provided a great exemplar of what a team can do when everyone unites in a common purpose. It is the best legal team I have ever worked with in a professional career spanning nearly forty years.’
‘Thomas Holt – An extraordinarily talented and erudite man who stands out as one of the US’s finest lawyers.’
PPG Industries, Inc.
United States Steel Corporation
Kettle Cuisine LLC
Safe Step Walk-In Tub Company
Dean Chase and D.F. Chase, Inc.
Draken International, LLC
- Represents PPG Industries as national coordinating counsel for the company’s nationwide asbestos liabilities.
- Represents US Steel as national coordinating counsel for the company’s nationwide toxic tort liabilities.
- Represented Kettle Cuisine in its defence of a lawsuit filed by the Campbell Soup Supply Company for breach of a co-manufacturing agreement.
Mary Beth Johnston; Limo Cherian
‘Great collaboration across all specialties, including corporate, regulatory, financing, and bankruptcy.’
‘Josh Skora is amazing, very plugged into happenings in the industry.’
‘I have used several healthcare law firms in my career, and this firm as been the best thus far, their legal expertise and strategy is unparalleled.’
‘K&L has a deep bench and extensive experience in healthcare regulatory matters, including fraud, waste and abuse, transactions and investigations.’
‘This firm has tremendous historical knowledge, which is incredibly valuable. They have a high level of expertise and I know I am getting reliable advice that is tailored to my company, and that is valuable.’
Hospice of the Carolina Foothills
Atrium Health, Cape Fear Valley Health, and ECU Health f/k/a Vidant Health
Virginia Premier Health Plan, Inc.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Ochsner Clinic Foundation
Sleep Data Services
SouthEast Alaska Regional Health Consortium
- Advised ECU Health with the legal and operational integration across all service lines, including regional care delivery, physician services, privacy, compliance, IT, risk management, insurance, among others.
- Assisted Virginia Health Plan, Inc. with obtaining a voluntary dismissal with prejudice of eight False Claims Act counts in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia.
- Advised UCHealth, a non-profit health system and academic medical center headquartered in Aurora, Colorado, on COVID-19 related matters.
Jamie Lavergne Bryan; Clare Kempkens
‘K&L Gates’ energy practice is excellent. The attorneys are creative, responsive, conscientious, and very knowledgeable about the specific issues facing our industry.’
‘Responsive and detailed, but also practical in their advice.’
‘Elizabeth Tiblets is smart, tenacious, and knows the industry very well. She is an excellent attorney in whom I entrust very high stakes litigation.’
‘Jamie Lavergne Bryan just settled a recent matter for us. She did stand out work, particularly on an issue that was complex, and that even the plaintiff and the plaintiff’s attorney did not understand. She was able to put us in a procedural position that helped us negotiate a final settlement’
‘Very knowledgeable team that has added new members over time to enhance its capabilities.’
Enterprise Products Partners
TH Exploration II and Tug Hill Operating
Energy Transfer Marketing and Terminals
Continental Resources, Inc.
SWN Production Company, LLC
Range Resources Corporation
- Represented Continental Resources, Inc. in a case wherein a royalty owner seeking to represent a putative class claimed that Continental had wrongfully deducted post-production costs from oil royalties under a standard form oil royalty clause.
- Represented Continental Resources, Inc. in a case wherein a working interest owner asserts that the finding of the North Dakota Industrial Commission concerning the location of the historical riverbed and the Ordinary High Water Mark for the Missouri River has caused it to lose a portion of its working interest.
Brian Montag; Craig Wilson; Ankur Tohan
Other key lawyers:
Joseph Lagrotteria; David Raphael; David Naidu; Dawn Lamparello
‘Very responsive, professional, always presenting all options.’
‘David Naidu is an outstanding partner in our operation.’
‘Brian Montag has been incredibly strong as he has deep relationships with regulators where he has established credibility.’
‘They are incredibly thorough and professional and keep the train moving on time. Also, they understand how to pounce when pouncing is needed and be patient when no action is immediately needed.’
‘Brian Montag is professional and personable and knows a wide variety of experts that are used only as needed.’
‘While it is my preference that we are never in need of their services, they provided great value from day one. That value grew and became more and more apparent over time as well as more accomplishments were notched to scientifically prove we were not only complying with regulations but going stratospherically above and beyond the requirements.’
Gary Development Landfill PRP Group
Cooperating Parties Group (CPG)
Ford Motor Company
Energy Transfer Marketing &Terminals, L.P. (ETMT)
Olympus Energy, LLC
BNSF Railway Company
Hog Island Oyster Company
Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish Shareholders’ Alliance
Brian Montag; Craig Wilson; Ankur Tohan
Other key lawyers:
Timothy Weston; Stanford Baird; Tad Macfarlan
‘Excellent communication with all agencies involved.’
‘Very knowledgeable team that has brought along newer attorneys who are positioned to continue the same level of service and knowledge.’
‘Craig Wilson combines extensive knowledge with a practical outlook and approach. Always gives sound advise and not afraid to take a leap on an issue.’
New Jersey Asphalt Pavement Association (NJAPA) and New Jersey Concrete and Aggregate Association (NJCAA)
Tilcon New York Inc.
Chemical Council of New Jersey
New York Racing Association
Novozymes North America, Inc.
CPV Renewable Power and affiliates
Specialty Granules LLC.
Weyerhaeuser – Water Rights
‘Matthew Mangan is a wealth of knowledge and a pleasure to work with. His vast industry knowledge across sectors is a massive benefit to his clients and his prompt response time is very helpful.’
Nikko Asset Management Americas
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
CVC Credit Partners
Marathon Asset Management
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
- Representing Nikko Asset Management Americas in its hedge fund matters.
- Representing the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston in private fund investments.
- Advising GCM Grosvenor on the launch and successful start-up of registered closed-end fund of hedge funds and on the operation of new and existing registered closed-end funds as fund counsel.
Gatewood Capital Partners
Apis & Heritage Capital Management
Linchris Capital Management
Terramont Infrastructure Partners
Goal Investment Management
Aegon Asset Management US
Stafford Capital Partners
- Acting for Gatewood Capital Partners on seed and sponsorship-level investments in emerging investment managers pursuing a wide range of private equity investments strategies.
- Represented Apis & Heritage Capital Management on the launch of an innovative fund that finances the sale of PoC-owned companies to their employees through an ‘employee-led buyout’ structure.
- Advising Linchris Capital Management on the launch of its third real estate fund.
Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design Tier 4K&L Gates handles a variety of plans, including equity compensation, retention and deferred compensation plans. The firm advises publicly-held companies on the disclosure implications of executive compensation decisions under US securities laws, including advice on the drafting of required disclosures, the design and implementation of equity and cash incentive plans, as well as the preparation and analysis of Section 457(f) plans. San Francisco’s Rikki Sapolich-Krol concentrates on a variety of benefit plan and compensation arrangement work for public, private, non-profit and government clients, while Seattle’s ‘knowledgeable’ and ‘responsive’ Karrie Johnson Diaz is experienced in advising clients on all aspects of qualified retirement plans, in addition to health and welfare plan matters.
Rikki Sapolich-Krol; Karrie Diaz
Other key lawyers:
‘Karrie Diaz is very knowledgeable in retirement plan law. She is responsive and thorough. She is approachable and does not talk down to us.’
Celanese Americas LLC
In2Bones Global, Inc.
Laird Norton Company LLC
Office Ally, Inc.
- Advising PPL Services Corporation on all benefit plan documentation, day to day matters and strategic benefit planning.
- Advising Celanese Americas LLC on all employee benefits and executive compensation matters.
- Representing Nu Holdings on all executive compensation matters, including executive employment agreements, design and implementation of cross-border (Latin America & US) equity plans and day-to-day compliance matters.
Other key lawyers:
Kingdom of Spain
Government of Romania
Republic of Italy Ministry of Economic Development
Rolls Royce Power Solutions, Inc.
Dommo Energia S.A.
Petaquilla Minerals, Ltd.
- Representing a US-based engineering and construction company against a sovereign-owned entity in an arbitration concerning the construction of a refinery in Latin America.
- Representing a power generation company in a dispute relating the construction and development of a diesel power plant in Chile.
- Representing Romania in resisting continued enforcement of an ICSID award obtained by the Micula brothers, involving claims totaling more than $1bn.
Theo Angelis; Christina Goodrich; Benjamin Weed
Other key lawyers:
Luxshare Precision Industry Co., Ltd.
Realtek Semiconductor Corporation
Charter Pacific Communications Ltd.
II-VI, Inc. (and Finisar Corporation)
Realtek Semiconductor Corp.; TCL Technology Group Corporation
New Asia Superhard Material Composite Co., Haimingrun, Inc., and Juxin Technology Development Ltd. Co.
Lenovo United States Inc.
Milliman, Inc. and Milliman Solutions, LLC
- Represented New Asia, HMR, and Juxin in International Trade Commission Investigation No. 337-TA-1236.
- Represented II-VI, the leading US-based manufacturer of optical materials and semiconductors.
- Represented a global conglomerate against an Non-Practicing Entity (NPE) campaign initiated by Sisvel.
‘Easy to work with and always available, they understand our business very well.’
‘Individuals are personable and committed to the task at hand.’
‘Communication was easy as industry specific terms were immediately understood.’
‘The firm construction practice is both innovative and resourceful. The individuals that I have dealt with are empathetic with their clients but also practical in developing the appropriate approach and strategy to best present the client’s case. They are tenacious in cross examination and have really helped their client’s witnesses prepare for the experience.’
‘The construction litigation team at K&L Gates is strong internationally, which is primarily based on having strong attorneys in diverse locations such as London and Dubai.’
‘Jason Richey is a high energy personality who thrives in a courtroom setting. He readily understands technical issues and has a firm grip on the construction process.’
Arlanxeo Canada, Inc.
Bombardier Transportation (Holdings) USA, Inc.
Patella Carpet & Tile
W.G. Yates & Sons Construction Company
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limite
Balfour Beatty Construction, LLC
PreZero US, Inc.
Ørsted Wind Power North America, LLC
Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc.
Hankook Tire Manufacturing Tennessee, LP
- Represented Aventiv in connection with bid protest proceedings around the country, including proceedings in Florida, Georgia, Hawaii and California.
- Represented W.G. Yates & Sons Construction in numerous dispute with the owner of the Virgin Hotel.
- Advised Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company in connection with the development of state-of-the-art manufacturing campus in Phoenix, Arizona.
Real estate Tier 5At K&L Gates‘ Charleston office, Matthew Norton co-chairs the firm’s global real estate practice and spearheads the resort, hospitality and leisure practice. He has worked extensively throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, and is experienced in the sale, acquisition, financing, and development of hotels, resorts, and golf courses. Shannon Skinner is the other co-head, based in Seattle, concentrating her practice on commercial real estate and financing transactions, particularly regional shopping centers, hotels, office buildings, industrial and logistics properties, mixed-use projects, multifamily and museums.
Matthew Norton; Shannon Skinner
‘K&L Gates have completed numerous commercial real estate leases for my firm. They continually meet projected schedules. They are efficient with each lease and build on past transactions to simplify future negotiations.’
Pensylvania – American Water Company
South Street Partners, LLC
Healthcare Realty Trust Incorporated
IGIS Asset Management Co., Ltd.
Meritz Alternative Investment Management
Mastern Asset Management Co., Ltd.
Hana Asset Management
- Representing a publicly traded healthcare REIT on national transactional and litigation/lease default work, including numerous medical office building single building and portfolio acquisitions and dispositions, along with development work in connection with multiple medical office building properties across the United States.
- Represented IGIS Asset Management in its acquisition of a 49% joint venture interest in the Midtown Center office and retail building located in Washington, D.C. At the time of closing, the acquisition was one of the largest real estate transactions in D.C. to be completed since the onset of the pandemic.
- Represented Meritz Alternative Investment Management in connection with the acquisition of 49% of the membership interests in a Limited Liability Company joint venture entity indirectly owning the fee interest of the real property located at 220 East 42nd Street, New York, New York, commonly known as the “Daily News Building”.
Adam Tejeda; Jared Mobley
‘I have observed the intellect and tax planning abilities of Mitch Weiss over the last ten years. He is superior and the person to whom I have directed all referrals when in need of a tax practitioner.’
‘The team has a positive and collaborative attitude and is a pleasure to work with.’
‘Adam Tejeda is a star performer.’
‘The tax team are always willing to collaborate, making them a pleasure to work with.’
‘The team are happy to jump onto a call, even at the busiest of times or if it is unclear that it will lead to an engagement. There has never been any pushback and I know that I will always get an initial answer.’
‘I have thoroughly enjoyed working with Adam Tejeda.’
‘Proactive and knowledgeable in Texas-related franchise tax.’
‘I was impressed by the knowledge and practical experience of the attorneys at K&L Gates.’
Carousel Capital Partners VI, L.P.
Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec and Fonds de solidarite FTQ
W.A. Kendall & Company, LLC
Falfurrias Capital Partners, L.P.
Burke Porter Group
- Represented Hexagon AB on its $2.8bn acquisition of Infor LLC and its affiliates.
- Advised Carousel Capital Partners VI on the purchase of a majority investment in Reliance Partners, with a tax focus on pre-closing restructuring for rollover investors and purchase price allocation issues.
- Assisted Burke Porter Group with its sale to AEA Investors for over $1bn.
K&L Gates > Firm Profile
The firm: K&L Gates is a global law firm with lawyers located across five continents — and so much more. The firm comprises a fully integrated network of lawyers and legal professionals who believe that clients need more than technical legal skills; they need insightful and practical advice on the diverse issues that affect their businesses, delivered with unparalleled client service. K&L Gates’ combination of practice strength, global platform, and unwavering commitment to client service is its true differentiator in the legal services marketplace. The firm takes a client-first approach to delivering legal solutions, thinking beyond the firm’s internal structure and constantly examining the broader industry, regulatory, and economic issues. Lawyers identify potential issues in advance based on deep industry knowledge and alert clients to what they may face in the future. K&L Gates represents a broad array of clients in every major industry, including technology, manufacturing, energy, transportation, telecommunications, financial services, and life sciences. Beyond unsurpassed service and universal experience, K&L Gates has one of the largest contingents of lawyers and offices across the United States of any law firm, with 25 offices nationwide. The firm’s extensive network includes approximately 300 lawyers in Europe’s largest economies and is one of the largest fully integrated U.S. law firms in the Asia Pacific region, with approximately 400 legal professionals.
Main areas of practice
Corporate and transactional: K&L Gates’ corporate and transactional practice is global, integrated, and one of the most substantial in the legal industry, delivering full-service corporate counsel to facilitate the structuring, financing, and successful completion of domestic, international, and cross-border transactions — including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, recapitalizations, and public and private debt and equity offerings — across multiple industries. It is the firm of choice for clients in the mid-market on both sides of transactions, representing an array of Global 500, Fortune 100, and FTSE 100 corporations, privately held and venture-backed companies, partnerships, private equity firms, and other investment funds, management groups, and entrepreneurs.
Energy, infrastructure, and resources: K&L Gates leverages experience from a wide variety of legal disciplines to serve clients in the global energy, renewables, infrastructure, and resources sectors, including climate change and carbon finance. The firm advises on the financing, development, permitting, and construction needed to build large infrastructure; the operational issues of power generation and resource extraction activities; joint ventures; capital markets transactions and mergers and acquisitions of infrastructure and resource companies; and litigation and arbitration related to business activities of clients in this industry.
Finance: Encompassing the core practice groups of banking and asset finance, debt capital markets, and restructuring and insolvency — and with lawyers located in key financial centers around the world — K&L Gates’ finance practice is well positioned to assist lenders and borrowers in achieving their financing objectives, mitigating transaction risks, and complying with regulations. Areas of practice include structured finance; securitizations; derivatives; structured products; real estate finance; marketplace lending; municipal finance; and mezzanine, leveraged, and acquisition finance.
Financial services: The firm represents a broad cross-section of clients, including both financial service providers, such as broker-dealers, investment advisers, banks and trust companies, and insurance companies, as well as investment vehicles and other institutional investors, such as open- and closed-end registered investment companies (and their independent directors), ETFs, hedge funds (onshore and offshore), retirement plans (ERISA and governmental plans), and collective investment funds sponsored by banks and trust companies. The firm also has a diverse national and international bankruptcy/insolvency practice that serves a broad range of clients on both the debtor and creditor side.
Intellectual property: K&L Gates advises prominent global companies, helping to develop and protect their intellectual property assets worldwide and handling complex, high-stakes litigation in 50 states and the District of Columbia. More than 200 lawyers and 100 USPTO-registered professionals devote their practices to protecting and commercializing intellectual property assets in the form of patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. Patent lawyers, many with PhDs, handle cases involving biotechnology innovations, hospital equipment, medical devices, computer networking equipment, and sports equipment, among others.
Labor, employment and workplace safety: Lawyers in the labor, employment and workplace safety (LEWS) practice advise domestic and international clients on a wide array of employment matters, including personnel management and statutory compliance, employment litigation defense, business transactions, immigration issues, and wage and hour disputes, among others. K&L Gates’ full-service Global Employer Solutions® offering draws on the experience of its LEWS team, as well as its employee benefits, executive compensation, taxation, immigration, and investigations teams, to help global clients navigate the full spectrum of workplace risk.
Litigation and dispute resolution: The dispute resolution practice includes international arbitrations, civil and criminal trials, class actions, multidistrict and multinational litigations, and appellate work. It has litigated and arbitrated major cases in almost every industry and market sector. The highly regarded litigators in this practice have resolved disputes in the most nuanced and complex areas, including commercial contracts, construction law, product liability, employment, toxic tort, antitrust and trade regulation, and securities enforcement. The firm partners with clients to resolve conflicts through arbitration, mediation, or other alternative dispute resolution methods and handles arbitrations under all the major institutional rules.
Policy and regulatory: K&L Gates’ policy and regulatory lawyers counsel companies on matters involving antitrust/competition, education, environmental law, financial services, food and drug matters, government enforcement, government contracts, health care, international trade, telecommunications, and public policy, as well as corporate compliance, internal investigations, and white-collar crime. The firm’s regulatory lawyers, many with governmental backgrounds or experience in regulated industries, advise through the regulatory processes at all jurisdictional levels. K&L Gates consistently ranks among the nation’s most influential law firms in lobbying and government policy work.
Real estate: Having one of the largest, most diversified real estate practices of any global law firm, K&L Gates has extensive experience in handling large and complex real estate transactions spanning multiple jurisdictions and nationalities in the United States, Europe, the Middle East, and key markets in the Asia Pacific region. The lawyers in this practice advise clients on real estate needs related to land use, planning and zoning, development and construction, acquisitions, dispositions, financing and leasing, tax advice, joint venture structuring, and real estate-related litigation.
Global managing partner: James R. Segerdahl
Chairman of the management committee, practice area leader – financial services: Michael S. Caccese
US offices: Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston, Texas; Boston, Massachusetts; Charlotte, Raleigh, and Research Triangle Park, North Carolina; Charleston, South Carolina; Chicago, Illinois; Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Kansas City, Los Angeles, Orange County, Palo Alto, and San Francisco, California; Miami, Florida; Nashville, Tennessee; Newark, New Jersey; New York, New York; Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; Washington, D.C.; and Wilmington, Delaware.
International offices: The firm maintains 11 offices in the Asia Pacific region, located in Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Perth, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Taipei, and Tokyo; nine offices in Europe, located in Berlin, Brussels, Dublin, Frankfurt, London, Luxembourg, Milan, Munich, and Paris; two offices in the Middle East, located in Doha and Dubai; and one office in South America, located in São Paulo.
K&L Gates > Firm Profile
Singapore: International Arbitration
Published: November 2022
Authors: Narayanan Sreenivasan S.C.Raja BoseRobert Houston
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview of International Arbitration laws and regulations applicable in Singapore.
Taiwan: Mergers & Acquisitions
Published: April 2023
Authors: Jacqueline FuJoseph Tseng
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview of Mergers & Acquisitions laws and regulations applicable in Taiwan.
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Shipping: litigation and regulation
- Transport > Shipping: litigation and regulation
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Energy > Renewable/alternative power
- Energy > Energy regulation: electric power
- Government > Government relations
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Delaware counsel
- Energy > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Energy > Energy transactions: electric power
- Insurance > Advice to policyholders
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Aviation and air travel: finance
- Finance > Fintech
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Government > Government contracts
- Healthcare > Service providers
- Energy > Energy litigation: electric power
- Energy > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Environment > Environment: litigation
- Environment > Environment: regulatory
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Real estate