Claro & Cia. > Santiago, Chile > Firm Profile
Claro & Cia. Offices
AV. APOQUINDO 3721, 14TH FLOOR
CÓD POSTAL 755 0177
Claro & Cia. > The Legal 500 Rankings
Chile > Banking and finance Tier 1Claro & Cia.'s sizeable, almost 30-strong, banking and financing practice has an enviable track record in terms of structuring complex financial products and banking deals. The team’s representative expertise ranges from multilateral and cross-border financings, to project finance, structured solutions and lending. Key figures in the department include Rodrigo Ochagavía, whose specialisms include corporate and project finance, banking, capital markets and energy; senior partner and head of the firm's M&A practice José María Eyzaguirre B, whose expertise also takes in banking, finance and capital markets; and Cristóbal Eyzaguirre, who -while best known for his highly-rated litigation practice- also advises on banking, finance, capital markets and reorganisations. Other names to note are banking and finance and project finance expert Jorge Martín; José Luis Ambrosy (corporate finance, capital markets and international finance transactions); energy and project financing specialist Ariel Mihovilovic; and José María Eyzaguirre F, who is active in project finance. In 2021, former counsel Jaime Salas moved to Boza & Muirhead Abogados, while former associate Gerardo Otero left to co-found financial-data platform, Aevum.
‘Excellent work team that is super-prepared professionally – it shows that the lawyers have great experience in their subjects and stand out from the teams of other offices.‘
‘The 24/7 availability makes you feel as if you are the only client, and the lawyers are available to resolve all doubts or problems that arise throughout the negotiation of the transaction.‘
‘We would highlight José Luis Ambrosy, an excellent lawyer who focuses on the really important things and negotiates efficiently.‘
Latam Airlines Group
JP Morgan Securities
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Enfragen – Glenfarne
Compañía Sud Americana de Vapores
Atlas Renewable Energy
- Assisted LATAM with a debtor-in-possession loan agreement (within the context of its Chapter 11 reorganisation proceeding in New York).
- Advised EnfraGen Energía Sur, Prime Energía and EnfraGen Spain on a $1.05bn bank debt package.
- Advised AES Andes, Colbún, Enel Green Power Chile, Enel Generación Chile, Engie Energía Chile, Eólica Monte Redondo and Guacolda Energía on what is believed to be Latin America’s first-ever tariff stabilisation financing.
Chile > Capital markets Tier 1The 14-member practice at full-service firm Claro & Cia. has a market-leading reputation for designing and structuring complex securities transactions that involve multilateral financings and cross-border capital flows. Representative work includes local and international securities deals, regulatory compliance and corporate governance issues in relation to IPOs, debt offerings, project bonds, securities exchange-listings, exchange offers, hybrid securities, and cash and debt tender offers. The group is co-led by Rodrigo Ochagavía , who has extensive capital markets experience – particularly in the energy, mining, pension funds, banking and insurance sectors; and capital markets, corporate finance and general corporate specialist José Luis Ambrosy , who has ‘vast knowledge‘. Additional integral members of the department include cross-border transactions experts Felipe Larraín and Luisa Núñez (‘a very solid lawyer, technically’), along with Juan José León , who focuses on banking and capital markets regulations. Cristián Lagos is the counsel to note, his broad corporate practice including securities law matters and capital markets offerings; while Nicolás Aspillaga (capital increases) and María Jesús Argandoña (local bond issuances) are both active associates.
Rodrigo Ochagavía; José Luis Ambrosy
‘A very good team that is always willing and available to provide us with advice on all matters concerning our fintech business – comprehensive advice of the highest level.‘
‘Fast and effective communication through multiple channels, including mobile, messaging and email.‘
‘Clarity when responding to clients’ concerns.‘
‘Good time management and relations with third parties – proactivity in its search for solutions to resolve conflicts/problems during transactions.‘
‘Extensive experience and knowledge of capital markets.‘
‘Compares very favourably with other firms, thanks to its knowledge, practical experience and human qualities.‘
‘Good availability and vast knowledge from José Luis Ambrosy.‘
‘Luisa Núñez is like one of our own in-house legal group. She is a very solid lawyer, technically, very precise and with impeccable advice. The difference with her competitors is that despite being at one of the largest firms in the market and being a partner, she is always very present and available – she makes the topics her own, and you always have the feeling that she is a part of your team.‘
Banco del Estado de Chile
Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile
Toesca (Administradora General de Fondos)
Latam Airlines Group
- Advised State Greed on the completion of a $3bn tender offer through the Santiago Stock Exchange.
- Advised EnfraGen Energía Sur, Prime Energía and EnfraGen Spain on a $710m notes issuance.
- Assisted JP Morgan Securities, Citigroup Global Markets, Santander Investment Securities, SMBC Nikko Securities America (as initial purchasers) with the placement of $1.1bn in senior secured notes by Alfa Desarrollo.
Cristóbal Eyzaguirre; José Miguel Huerta
Compañía Sudamericana de Vapores
LATAM Airlines Group
Compañía Cervecerías Unidas
Entel PCS Comunicaciones
Banco Itaú Corpbanca
- Represented CSAV in a successful leniency application before the Chilean Antitrust Agency.
- Assisting LATAM with obtaining regulatory approvals for its partnership and joint venture agreement with Delta Air Lines.
- Represented CMPC in a leniency procedure before the Chilean Antitrust Agency (following a cartel in the tissue paper market).
Chile > Corporate and M&A Tier 1The 36-strong M&A group at renowned blue-chip player and market stalwart Claro & Cia. routinely assists with due diligence and structuring issues, negotiations, and the drafting and completion of complex acquisition agreements, including share and asset deals, cross-border mergers, takeovers and exchange offers; it is particularly well known for its M&A work involving publicly-listed clients. The practice is led by renowned M&A partner José María Eyzaguirre B, who focuses on complex cross-border transactions, with a specific focus on tender offers, public transactions and corporate governance issues; Rodrigo Ochagavía, an M&A expert in deals involving regulated sectors such as energy, pension funds and insurance; energy M&A specialist Matías de Marchena; and Felipe Larraín, who is active in cross-border transactions involving foreign investors. Also integral to the practice are: Ariel Mihovilovic, who primarily advises on the acquisition and sale of energy sector assets; funds specialist Juan José León; and cross-border transactions expert José María Eyzaguirre F. Counsel Patricio Smart is also noted.
José María Eyzaguirre B
‘The lawyers have a great business vision that complements their work very well.‘
Inversiones y Rentas
Stone Canyon Industries Holdings
Link Capital Partners
- Assisting LATAM with its multibillion-dollar Chapter 11 reorganisation proceeding.
- Advised State Grid International Development on its €2.5bn purchase of equity interests in Compañía General de Electricidad, CGE Servicios and their Chilean subsidiaries.
- Advised Aker Horizons AS on its $1bn acquisition of a 75% interest stake in Mainstream Renewable Power.
Samsung Electronics Chile
Grupo Said Handal
Sociedad Concesionaria Nuevo Pudahuel
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
Southern Cross Latin America Private Equity Fund III
- Acting for AES Andes in an arbitration against Compañía General de Electricidad, which concerns the impact of the Covid 19 pandemic.
- Assisting Samsung Chile with multiple disputes against two of its distributors.
- Assisted the Said Handal Family, which holds significant stakes in various Chilean industrial and financial companies, with initiating an arbitration against one of the family members who triggered the dissolution of Inversiones SH Seis (as a means to obtaining a higher sale price for his stake).
‘High-level team with exact professionals, who are very pleasant to deal with and always available – an outstanding practice.‘
‘A law firm of the highest level and prestige. It has been a pleasure working with them.‘
‘The team is highly experienced and multidisciplinary- unique in the Chilean market.‘
‘The Claro team offers excellent legal advice and has deep knowledge of the Chilean market. In addition, the team’s capabilities extend to complex international, multi-jurisdictional litigation cases with perfect English language capabilities and on-the-spot legal advice.‘
‘Cristóbal Eyzaguirre, José Miguel Huerta and Santiago Bravo have a lot of experience, up-to-date knowledge and stay very close to their clients.‘
‘Cristóbal Eyzaguirre and José María Eyzaguirre G are exceptional lawyers, whose skills transcend the legal, as they also have a deep understanding of business – a remarkable team.‘
‘José Miguel Huerta and senior associate ‘Álvaro Vives manage their teams perfectly; and the English language capabilities are excellent. They also offer outstanding legal expertise in multinational and multi-jurisdictional litigation cases.‘
LATAM Airlines Group
Minera Los Pelambres
Entel PCS Telecomunicaciones
- Acting for Chilena Consolidada Seguros de Vida in a dispute in which it is being accused by Corporación Nacional del Cobre of involvement in an alleged fraud.
- Assisting Samsung Chile with multiple disputes with two of its distributors, which manage the company’s specialised retail-experience shops.
- Represents Agrosuper in two class actions brought by a consumer association and the National Consumer Agency.
‘The Claro team has a lot of knowledge of the matters on which it advises. It collaborates a lot and directly with our company team – the quality of the work is impeccable.‘
‘It is a team with a lot of legal and technical knowledge.‘
‘Ariel Mihovilovic knows our business, the counterparties and the authorities very well, and the work generated is of great quality.‘
Toesca Asset Management
Enfragen – Prime Energía
- Advised EnfraGen Energía Sur, Prime Energía and EnfraGen Spain on the development of a pool of renewable projects that were financed with a $1.05bn bank debt package.
- Advised State Grid International Development on the purchase of Naturgy’s equity interests in Compañía General de Electricidad and CGE Servicios (as well as Chilean subsidiaries).
- Assisted JP Morgan Securities, Citigroup Global Markets, Santander Investment Securities and SMBC Nikko Securities America with structuring the $1.2bn financing to Alfa Desarrollo for the acquisition of Colbún Transmisión.
Toesca Asset Management
- Advised EnfraGen Energía Sur, Prime Energía and EnfraGen Spain on the development of various renewable projects.
- Advised a syndicate of lenders, led by SMBC, on both the $335m acquisition financing for the purchase of Chilean gas company Gasmar, and the financing for the expansion of a new terminal in Mejillones.
- Advised EnfraGen on the secured financing for a greenfield solar portfolio of projects.
LATAM Airlines Group
Viña Santa Rita
Banco Itaú Corpbanca
- Representing LATAM Airlines in its voluntary petition for relief under Chapter 11 of the US Bankruptcy Code.
- Acting for Euroamérica, the largest non-secured creditor of Enjoy, on restructuring agreement negotiations.
- Advised Viña Santa Rita (as creditor of a non-monetary obligation) in relation to the Viñedos y Bodegas Las Pircas restructuring process.
‘Very client-oriented team – every team member that I’ve been in contact with is kind and courteous. The lawyers speak in terms that any person can understand and they don’t get too technical with difficult legal terms.‘
‘Friendly, kind and courteous individuals, who do follow-ups, answer rapidly, and are always available to attend their clients.‘
‘In addition to the legal expertise, I would highlight the human qualities and support for small clients.‘
‘Very human approach, with the team characterised by personalised, effective and speedy attention.‘
‘Great IP knowledge.‘
‘Felipe Claro is an extremely complete lawyer. Not only does he lead the IP practice, but he also actively participates in international organisations, such as his Presidency of the AIPPI.‘
‘Felipe Claro has great leadership skills and is a lawyer who is highly respected by his colleagues.‘
Cristalerías de Chile
Sinovac Life Sciences
Sociedad Anónima Viña Santa Rita
The Coca-Cola Company
Agrícola Huertos Santa Teresa
Zoom Video Communications
- Currently representing Viña Garcés and Agrícola Huertos Santa Teresa in the cancellation of S&W Ingenieria Agrícola’s patent, which protects a system for controlling plant dormancy.
- Assisted Sinovac Life Sciences Co with filing and prosecuting two “CORONAVAC” applications that required an expedite prosecution in the middle of the Pandemic.
- Assisting (pro bono) Liga Chilena Contra La Epilepsia with its general IP assessment and filing strategy, as it has never registered its name or acronym as trade marks.
Chile > Tax Tier 2Claro & Cia.‘s 13-strong tax practice (as well as three tax accountants) can leverage the firm’s strong credentials in M&A, capital markets, banking and project finance during complex domestic and cross-border transactions; it is also increasingly active in major tax cases before the tax courts. The team is led by Jorge Carraha, who routinely advises multinational and corporate clients on headline transactions; and Nicolás Maturana who was raised to the partnership in January 2022 and is particularly focused on the tax aspects of M&A, financing and capital markets deals, as well as corporate reorganisations. Within the senior associate group, Rafael Cruzat provides tax advice to the banking, financial services, fintech and private wealth sectors; and Javier Pérez‘s practice covers the tax aspects of transactions and reorganisations, along with tax litigation.
Inversiones y Rentas
Ministry of Finance of Colombia
State Grid International Development
Bank of America
- Assisted Inversiones y Rentas with the tax aspects of the tender offer for an additional 4.44% of shares in Compañía Cervecerías Unidas.
- Assisted the Ministry of Finance of Colombia with the tax aspects of the sale of its 51.4% participation in Interconexión Eléctrica (a Colombian company with Chilean subsidiaries) to Ecopetrol.
- Advised HAL Investments on the tax side to the acquisition of Rotter & Krauss, as part of a carve-out operation concerning the acquisition of GrandVision by EssilorLuxottica.
‘Extensive knowledge of the current regulations and their applicability.‘
‘Quick and effective response to queries and doubts, with solid knowledge of historical cases and how to consider them so as to construct proposals alongside clients.‘
‘Good sense of urgency in offering quick and timely responses.‘
Anglo American Sur
Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile
Sociedad Contractual Minera El Abra
Toesca Administradora General de Fondos
- Advised Anglo American Sur on the structuring, negotiation and drafting of reciprocal easement agreements entered into with CODELCO’s Andean division.
- Advised Anglo American Sur on the structuring, negotiation, drafting and execution process of a planning coordination and mining operation governance agreement entered into with CODELCO.
- Acting for Anglo American in a civil lawsuit filed by Inversiones Mineras Silex, a Chilean mining company that owns certain mining concessions where Anglo American’s foundry is located.
Chile > Environment Tier 3Claro & Cia.'s environmental group consistently advises on projects from environmental perspectives; and it is able to leverage the firm’s sector specialisms in energy, mining, water resources, fish farming, forestry and agriculture. Recent highlights including representing Anglo American Sur in an environmental damage claim filed by the State of Chile. The natural resources group is led by Nicolás Eyzaguirre, who ‘stands out for his knowledge'; bolstering the team’s offering, former senior associate Joaquín Rodríguez -who has a transactions-driven profile- was made partner in January 2022, and former Superintendency of the Environment trial lawyer Tomás Darricades was rehired in July 2021 from Moreno Sáez & Avilés.
‘The strengths of the team can be seen from the quality of its work. The drafting, presentations, contracts and documents of all kinds are well above expectations, and this is noticeable in relation to other offices.‘
‘The legal service from Claro’s environmental team meets the expectations that we have as a company, impeccably fulfilling our objectives.‘
‘Great for the experience of the team and its high levels of proactivity when requiring a quick response.‘
‘Accurate and extensive knowledge about current regulations and changes to them.‘
‘Solid knowledge regarding historical cases on the application of the regulations, which helps project in the best way the interpretation and application of environmental regulations.‘
‘Quick and timely responses to clients’ requirements.‘
‘Nicolás Eyzaguirre stands out for his knowledge and work capabilities, as well as for the quality of the work. He is a precise, detailed lawyer.‘
Anglo American Sur
Sociedad Anónima Viña Santa Rita
Cristalerías de Chile
Lesaffre Industrial Chile
- Acted for Anglo American Sur in an environmental damage claim filed by the State of Chile before the Second Environmental Court.
- Assisting Viña Santa Rita with the regularisation of its wine production plants in different Chilean cities.
- Assisted Actis GP with preparing a legal memorandum that explains the applicable regulations to agricultural communities in Chile, and how to obtain the necessary permits and authorisations for the development of power plant projects.
Claro & Cia. > Firm Profile
Since its founding in 1880, Claro & Cia. is one of the most prestigious law firms in Chile. Our seal is an innovative, reliable and highly qualified style.
With a diverse group of lawyers, Claro & Cia. is prepared to take part in all the areas in which legal advice is required, offering its clients comprehensive support for the realization of their projects. Its practice in banking and finance, in aspects of corporate, reorganizations and acquisitions (M&A) in securities markets, Chilean and global, as well as its recognized experience in litigation and arbitration, are particularly emblematic and remarkable. In all of these, and others that its offers to its clients, as part of its integral service, its professionalism, creativity and solidity characterize it.
Claro & Cia. represents clients with interests in very diverse areas, such as: administrative and constitutional, transportation, free competition, litigation and arbitration, banking, project financing, mining, bankruptcy and restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, energy and natural resources, environment, insurance, labor, criminal and administrative sanctions, intellectual property and new technologies, international trade, economic regulation, tax law, telecommunications, sports and entertainment, real estate development, tourism, hotels and casinos, among others.
Claro & Cia. has an undisputed leadership in the Chilean legal market and has stood out for the high legal and ethical standards with which it provides legal services in the most complex commercial transactions and in judicial and arbitration conflicts. The loyalty of our clients, as well as the international recognition obtained by the firm and its lawyers, such as Chambers & Partners “Best Firm of the Year in Chile” granted in 2017, 2015, 2012 and 2010 and Client Service, 2019; Latin Lawyer “Best Transaction of the Year in Corporate Finance, 2013”; Latin Lawyer “Best Transaction of the Year, in the best operation of M & A, 2012”; IFLR “M & A Best Transaction of the Year, 2012”; IFLR “Best National Firm of the Year, 2012”;“Best Firm of Year in Chile, 2021″, IFLR ”Southern cone Banking & Finance Firm of the Year, 2021″, IFLR ”Loan Deal of the Year, 2021″, prove it. prove it.
Experience, reliability, excellence and leadership are the principles that guide Claro & Cia., within a framework of ethical rigor and social responsibility with its people and the environment in which it operates.
|Banking and finance||José María Eyzaguirre Bfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Banking and finance||Rodrigo Ochagavíaemail@example.com|
|Banking and finance||José Luis Ambrosyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|M&A, corporate||José María Eyzaguirre Bemail@example.com|
|M&A, corporate||Felipe Larraínfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|M&A, corporate||Matías de Marchenaemail@example.com|
|M&A, corporate||Hernán Felipe Valdésfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|M&A, corporate||José Luis Ambrosyemail@example.com|
|Project finance||Rodrigo Ochagavíafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Project finance||Jorge Martínemail@example.com|
|Project finance||Luisa Núñezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Project finance||José Luis Ambrosyemail@example.com|
|Litigation and arbitration||Cristóbal Eyzaguirrefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Litigation and arbitration||Nicolás Lucoemail@example.com|
|Litigation and arbitration||Felipe Ossafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Litigation and arbitration||José Miguel Huertaemail@example.com|
|Intellectual property||Felipe Clarofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Intellectual property||Paulina Bardónemail@example.com|
|Antitrust/competition||José Miguel Huertafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Energy – electricity||Rodrigo Ochagavíaemail@example.com|
|Energy – electricity||Nicolás Lucofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Labor||Hernán Felipe Valdésemail@example.com|
|Labor||Juan Pablo Cabezónfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mining and natural resources||Nicolás Eyzaguirreemail@example.com|
|Reorganization and Insolvency, Mergers and Acquisitions, Project Finance, Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Business Organizations||Ariel Mihovilovicfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Criminal, Litigation, Data Protection and Cybersecurity, Administrative Law and Administrative Procedural Law, Constitutional||Alex Van Weezelemail@example.com|
|Mergers and Acquisitions, Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Reorganization and Insolvency, Business Organizations||Juan Leónfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mergers and Acquisitions, Banking and Finance, Derecho Societario, Business Organizations||José María Eyzaguirre Femail@example.com|
|Litigation, Administrative Law and Administrative Procedural Law, Arbitration, Antitrust and Economic Regulation||Santiago Bravofirstname.lastname@example.org|
Staff FiguresOther fee-earners : 95 Total staff : 156
OtherPartners : 21
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Competition and antitrust
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity and hydrocarbon
- Projects and infrastructure