Bruchou & Funes de Rioja > Buenos Aires, Argentina > Firm Profile
Bruchou & Funes de Rioja Offices
ING. ENRIQUE BUTTY 275, FLOOR 12
C1001 AFA BUENOS AIRES
Bruchou & Funes de Rioja > The Legal 500 RankingsBruchou & Funes de Rioja following it’s July-2022 merger with leading labour boutique Funes de Rioja. The ‘proactive’ banking team is ‘the best in the market’ and recognised for its ability to ‘excel in complex negotiations’, provide a ‘high quality’ full-service offering and deliver ‘technical quality’ that stands out. Its reputation as a premier practice in Argentina sees it advise companies, banks, State agencies, multilateral lenders, credit agencies and alternative assets managers on sophisticated and complex banking and capital markets transactions, restructurings and regulatory matters. Notable mandates in this area include acting as sole Argentine counsel to deal managers HSBC Securities and BofA Securities in the Republic of Argentina’s $66bn debt restructuring. The team also works extensively with borrowers, regularly advising clients in the energy and natural resources sectors, among others, on managing their financing requirements. Project finance is another area of strength. Firm chairman and one of the country’s most respected banking lawyers, Hugo Bruzone leads the practice, with close support from name partner Carlos Lombardi, who has a strong roster of bank clients; and co-founding partner Enrique Bruchou, who also has extensive compliance and investigations expertise. Other key partners include the experienced Analía Battaglia, ‘one of the best professionals on the market’, and Matías López Figueroa, who stands out for his ‘extensive technical and negotiation skills’. Partner Alejandro Perelsztein, who worked on the Argentina sovereign debt restructuring deal, is praised for his ‘creativity, ingenuity and professional experience’, with clients also noting the contribution of Juan Barros Moss. José Bazán, who advises banks, buyout firms and corporates, leads on a number of the firm’s most significant deals.
Hugo N. Bruzone
‘A range of capabilities makes Bruchou a full service, high quality resource in Argentina.’
‘High quality partners who are always well prepared.’
‘Strong local connections and restructuring and litigation expertise.’
‘A proactive and empathetic team that is always ready to work around problems and find simple solutions to complex problems. Compared to other teams, they stand out.’
‘Alejandro Perelstein and Juan Barros Moss demonstrate creativity and ingenuity and professional experience that puts them a step above the rest.’
‘The team is the best on the market and excels in complex negotiations. The team is not only good in technical legal aspects, but also has excellent negotiation skills, which facilitates reaching real and sustainable agreements.’
‘What makes them stand out is the technical quality, the dedication to the smallest detail, the excellent negotiation skills that allow reaching agreements in any circumstance and above all the excellent human quality.’
‘Analía Battaglia is a leading partner in this area and one of the best professionals on the market, without a doubt.’
BofA Securities and HSBC Securities
Citigroup Global Markets
JP Morgan Securities
Santander Investment Securities
Ad Hoc Group for the restructuring of Stoneyway debt
Balanz Capital Valores
Banco de Servicios y Transacciones
Banco de la Provincia de Buenos Aires
Allaria Ledesma & Cia
Adcap Securities Argentina
HSBC Bank USA
- Acted as sole Argentine legal counsel to deal mangers BofA Securities and HSBC in the restructuring and exchange of debt issued by the Republic of Argentina, under foreign law, for an aggregate amount of $66bn.
- Advised YPF on a liability management transaction involving the issuance of $542.8m in series XIII notes.
- Advised on the restructuring of Stoneway Capital ‘s 10% Senior Secured Notes.
Argentina > Compliance Tier 1The former Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi is now known as Bruchou & Funes de Rioja following it’s July-2022 merger with leading labour boutique Funes de Rioja. The team is well regarded for compliance, internal investigations and business crime expertise, and provides clients with ‘24-hour attention, very good responses and resolution in simultaneous issues’. Particular strengths for the practice include advising on corporate leniency agreements for bribery and assisting businesses and the national government in compliance and corporate criminal law matters. Another pillar of the broad practice is the design and implementation of corporate governance and compliance programs along with remedial strategies. Guillermo Jorge leads the team and is known for anti-corruption compliance, money laundering prevention and fraud asset recovery work. Fernando Basch, who specialises in criminal law, anti-bribery and anti-money laundering compliance, is also a key member of the team.
‘They are well above the compliance issues that we need to solve and they are very informed about current updates and regulations’.
‘Without a doubt, they are at the height of the best’.
‘They keep us up to date with the news that is emerging in all aspects’.
‘They are available and willing to help us and answer any questions or solve any problem’.
‘The service is top notch. They are deeply involved with the issues and actively participate in the search for solutions’.
‘Guillermo Jorge is a benchmark in the field. He understands the business and adds value by promoting good practices’.
’24 hour attention, very good response, resolution of several simultaneous issues, very good attention’.
Vicentin’s international financial creditors’ steering committee
Baggio – RPB
Maritime Anticorruption Network (MACN)
Insigneo Financial Group
- Vicentin announced an in-court restructuring process in which the firm is representing the steering committee of international banks with outstanding debt for more than $530m.
- National food and beverages company RPB (Baggio) suffered a “CEO fraud” that resulted in losses of almost $7m; following the incident the team conducted an investigation and a transnational asset-tracing strategy to recover the stolen funds from multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised Insigneo Financial Services Argentina in the design and implementation of its AML/CTF system, which started to be implemented in late 2020.
Nabors International Argentina
Fideicomiso Central Vuelta de Obligado
Vista Oil & Gas
Molinos Río de la Plata
Minera Andina del Sol (a Barrick Group company)
Barrick Exploraciones Argentina
Fideicomiso Central Termoeléctrica Guillermo Brown
- Defending Molinos Río de la Plata in a major legal controversyinvolving the exportation of agricultural products.
- Defending NewSan in a controversy with the Argentine Customs Service and regarding the alleged misclassification of an exported feedstuff.
- Representing Bunge Argentina in two administrative claims against the Argentine Government challenging the constitutionality of Decrees 793/2018 and 332/2019 and seeking their abrogation and that their application to the company cease.
Eduardo Viñales; Ignacio Funes de Rioja; Florencia Funes de Rioja; Nilo Thomas
‘The speed of response, are clear and precise. They help make business decisions’.
‘The Estudio Funes de Rioja team is the firm’s great strength, that is, its members. They have experts in all areas of labour law and social security and there is hardly another firm in Argentina with that level of expertise and responsiveness’.
‘They move with ease on issues of individual labour law, collective law, dealing with unions and companies, social security, etc. In my opinion, it is above any other office on the matter. As if that were not enough, they also have an excellent knowledge of litigation, which exceeds the mere labour, and years of experience in collective bargaining, having been part of all the important ones in the last decades’.
‘I believe that it is by far the firm in Argentina (and I would dare to say of the region) that can provide the best advice on labour matters of all and that it is an obligatory reference for any legal manager, legal director or general counsel of a company’.
‘The firm is always at the forefront in providing legal services and in permanent innovation’.
‘Its practices are certified by standardised quality, it also has a very good technological support that makes it super easy to maintain communications and work periodically with partners and lawyers remotely’.
‘Not only do they offer a personalised first-line service (the partners are fully involved in each and every one of the issues entrusted), but they are also prepared to efficiently handle huge flows of lawsuits (throughout the country) maintaining a premium service, at the same time that they provide an invaluable permanent advisory service, which ranges from advising on matters of trade union negotiations and conflicts, framing, individual law, etc’.
‘I especially highlight Ignacio Funes de Rioja, who, honouring the path outlined by his father, is a person of obligatory consultation for any aspect of the matter that the company has. He is not only a refined lawyer with a very high level of knowledge of each of the issues, but also moves like a fish in water in all the areas of the firm’s expertise; above all else, he generates a level of absolute confidence’.
Argentina > Tax Tier 1The ‘excellent professionals’ in the Bruchou & Funes de Rioja tax practice are known for their ‘commitment, technical ability and specialist expertise’. The ‘attentive’ Matías Olivero Vila leads the team alongside Liban A. Kusa, who ‘gives clients confidence’. Other names key practitioners include the ‘outstanding’ Nicolas Nogueira Castellini, who was promoted to partner in 2020, and Ezequiel Lipovetzky, who works across a range of tax matters but as head of the firm’s private wealth department, is particularly known for advice to high-net-worth individuals and families. Daniela Rey also standouts for work on a high volume of matter highlights. The practice demonstrates expertise in financial services and in litigation, with matter highlights including advising HSBC through a tax assessment process by the Federal Tax Administration and in litigation related to alleged tax evasion. The firm is also advising banks ABA and ADEBA, and has filed an action before the National Supreme Court to challenge the constitutionality of a turnover tax-withholding regime created by the province of Córdoba in order to obtain payments of non-residents taxpayers and digital services companies. In addition to high-profile litigations the firm also advises local and international clients on a range of transactional and intra-group tax matters.
Matías Olivero Vila; Liban Ángel Kusa
‘Excellent professionals. Always proactive and with great technical support. Constant monitoring and timely advice. They evaluate all the scenarios detecting the best opportunities. Great commitment and dedication.’
‘The commitment, technical ability and specialist expertise make this firm stand out.’
‘Nicolas Nogueira Castellini shows outstanding levels of commitment, responsibility and knowledge in his work.’
‘Matias Olivero Vila is always attentive consistently provides comprehensive solutions or answers.’
‘The Bruchou team is highly qualified and dedicated. The speed and quality of the responses are the main characteristics of the service. Bruchou’s service is very unique in the market and valuable.’
‘Liban Kusa is the best on tax matters. He gives clients confidence and acts as a strategic partner to mitigate risks and improve controls as well as be aware of changes and trends.’
‘Lucila Tagliaferro is a great professional who delivers customer satisfaction.’
Asociación de Bancos de la Argentina
- Tax counselling to HSBC related to an assessment process by the Federal Tax Administration; and defence against accusations of criminal tax evasion.
- Filed an action before the National Supreme Court on behalf of certain financial institutions to challenge the constitutionality of a turnover tax-withholding regime created by the province of Córdoba in order to obtain payments of non-residents taxpayers and digital services companies.
- Represented Cargill before the provincial tax authorities and the Provincial Justice in order to challenge differing local tax claims.
Carlos María Rotman
‘The professional level is undoubtedly at the height of what is expected in a firm of this line’.
‘The tenders and restructuring staff stands out, beyond its ample technical capacity, for its empathetic and significant personal contact with the client, which together generates a very good experience in the service provided by the Firm Bruchou.’
‘Constant availability and quick response, the high points of it, in addition to its remarkable technical capacity.’
‘Compared to other firms, there is more collaboration (and less competition) between partners’.
‘Above all, the BFM&L team is characterised by quick and effective responses’
‘Over the years, BFM & L continues to stand out for its efficiency and solidity, not only in response times, but also in the ability to go over the key points and provide complete advice’.
Stoneway Capital Corporation
Grupo ALL Argentina
Amec Foster Wheeler Americas
Greylock Global Direct Latin America
- Assisted the ad-hoc steering committee of the international financial creditors of Vicentín with bankruptcy and litigation matters, along with representing some of the creditors in the reorganisation proceedings.
- Assisted mining company Trident Southern Explorations de Argentina with preparing the strategy to file for its reorganisation proceeding under the provisions of Argentine bankruptcy law.
- Assisted Dow’s affiliate company PBB Polisur with complex restructuring litigation within the insolvency proceeding of Grupo Simpa.
Argentina > Consumer law Tier 2Above-and-beyond its specialist banking and finance expertise, the full-service firm now known as Bruchou & Funes de Rioja also represents retail-based companies in disputes and day-to-day operations. The team has extensive experience in both the judiciary -particulary the commercial courts- and the private sector, and brings such knowledge to trial and appellate courts throughout Argentina on a range of consumer-related cases. A former commercial judge and commercial court official, respectively, Carlos María Rotman (who handles litigation, international arbitration and bankruptcy) and Martín Beretervide (who focuses on commercial litigation in bankruptcy and corporate matters), co-lead the team.
Martín Beretervide; Carlos María Rotman
Banco Galicia y de Buenos Aires
Candy Electrodomésticos Argentina
- Advising and representing Banco Macro, as defendant, in several class action cases.
- Advising and representing Banco Santander in several class action cases filed against it.
- Advises and represents BBVA Francés in class action cases filed against the bank.
‘Excellent teamwork stands out with fast and very good internal communication with the other areas of the firm.’
‘The team deliver a high professional level and an excellent communication skills with clients. Estanislao Olmos is excellent.’
‘Their unique blend of skills includes being hard-working, business-oriented, up-to-par with the training. Their lawyers are outstanding when it comes to dealmaking and bring an extensive knowledge and track record.’
‘Hugo Bruzone knows the regulators, market participants and trends like no other and is always constructive at the negotiation table. Estanislao Olmos thinks commercially and has M&A and antitrust skills, a very valuable combination Argentina. Senior associate Nicolas Dulce is a partner in the making at Bruchou. He is extremely smart and hardworking.’
‘The M&A team of Bruchou, Fernandez Madero & Lombardi stands out for working as a true team with the company’s in-house attorneys. They are deeply involved in the issues, not limiting their participation to the strictly legal. Estanislao Olmos stands out for his conceptual solidity, his commitment and professionalism.’
‘We have worked with the corporate finance area of BFML for more than 10 years in no less than 8 transactions. During this time the team was always led by the same person, which gave a lot of consistency and deep knowledge of our business.’
‘The team brought a lot of rigour to the process and a lot of experience. Alejandro Perelsztein and Estanislao Olmos show mettle and determination in complex situations.’
Vista Oil and Gas
Armstrong World Industries
Apollo Global Asset Management
Mitsubishi Corporation and Linklaters
- Assisted the ultimate controlling shareholder of Grupo Assa Worlwide with the sale of 100% of the group’s capital stock to Globant – subject to certain adjustments and instalments, including an earn out based on certain revenue targets.
- Advised Equinor on its acquisition (in conjunction with Shell Argentina) of the 49% stake held by Schlumberger in the Bandurria Sur onshore block in Neuquén, Argentina.
- Advised Vista Oil & Gas on the agreement with affiliates of Riverstone and Southern Cross Group to purchase all of the issued and outstanding equity interests of each of the financial sponsors in Aleph Midstream, for an aggregate purchase price of $37.5m.
‘The team is very up-to-date on the latest developments in this field’.
‘Lawyers who are very accessible to customer inquiries and are always willing to collaborate by providing feedback’.
The Royal Bank of Scotland
AES Argentina Generación
Cervecería y Maltería Quilmes
American Express Argentina
Minera Andina del Sol
Papel del Tucumán
HSBC Private Bank (Suisse)
Hydro Extrusion Argentina
Vista Oil & Gas
- Advising and assisting YPF with strategy matters in relation to a dispute and operational assistance in Argentina with respect to a discovery proceeding.
- Advising Centurylink in one of its most highly sensitive cases, as defendant in a complex breach of contract dispute before the federal courts.
- Advised Unipar in commercial court claims, complex litigation and a delisting process.
Mariano Luchetti; Ignacio Javier Minorini Lima; Exequiel Buenaventura
‘They are always available for inquiries and are generally informed of the latest data from a market that is very small and specific’.
‘They understand the business model of my company, the situation that we have to go through and generally suggest innovative and legally sustainable courses of action’.
‘The partners have a high level of expertise. Their understanding of the situation of the clients and compromise with them makes them unique’.
‘We have been working with Exequiel Buenaventura and Ignacio Minorini. Both of them know our company very well and provide according to our needs.’
‘The team of this firm has a deep knowledge of the energy sector in Argentina, and not exclusively of the legal aspects, but of the market in general, its institutions, public officials involved, economic issues and other aspects that provide management solid and, consequently, very effective professional advice’.
‘Compared to other firms, I believe that Bruchou is in a better position to provide very good quality advice on energy matters. I believe that the most relevant novelty is its rapid and appropriate adaptation to current times, to overcome the restrictions in force as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. They have maintained a good disposition and active collaboration, despite the difficulties.’
‘Especially within the energy area, I consider that Ignacio Minorini Lima has an excellent knowledge of the electric energy market in Argentina, and of renewable energy in particular’.
‘The main plus is given by its adaptability to dynamic conditions, both at a strictly regulatory level and in the business in general’.
Barrick Exploraciones Argentina
Central Termoeléctrica Ensenada de Barragán
China Development Bank
Elawan Energy Developments
Minera Andina del Sol
Pan American Energy
Petroquímica Comodoro Rivadavia
Termoeléctrica José de San Martín
- Appointed by Goldwind to deal with one of its most sensitive matters: the execution of the construction, operation and maintenance agreements (and regulatory agreements required for interconnection and expansion of the grid) with the power transmission companies for each of its five genergation projects.
- Advised Laboratorio Elea Phoenix on several power purchase agreements.
- Rendered legal services to Envision concerning the development of two power generation projects in Argentina (for an aggregate of almost 200MW), involving regulatory, environmental, tax, customs, financing, and general corporate and labour matters.
Sergio Arbeleche; Sebastián Vedoya
‘Bruchou’s team in mining matters stands out for its solidity, professionalism and great experience in different mining projects’.
‘I highlight the strength of working in teams with lawyers from other offices and with interdisciplinary teams’.
‘Sergio Arbeleche and Sebastián Vedoya stand out. They form a team that adapts to all needs, responding efficiently, solidly and proactively’.
‘Bruchou has an extremely knowledgeable and capable group of lawyers who work in the mining industry, with strong support from other practice areas in the firm, such as corporate commercial, taxation, employment, etc’.
‘Sergio Arbeleche is a specialist in mining law and in my view one of the leading mining lawyers in Argentina. Sergio has extensive knowledge of the law and industry and applies that knowledge in a clear and practical manner.’
‘Sebastian Pedro Vedoya is an exceptional corporate and commercial lawyer.’
‘Sebastian Vedoya – always available, depth of knowledge and the common sense of a senior statesman’.
‘Sergio Arbeleche – depth of knowledge in particular about environmental regulations and the glacier laws’.
Barrick Gold Corporation
First Quantum Minerals
Minera Andina del Sol
Barrick Exploraciones Argentina
Minera del Carmen
Minera Peregrine Argentina
South Financial Sands
Argentine Mining Chamber
Argentine – Canadian Chamber of Commerce
Metalla Royalty & Streaming
- Advised Barrick Gold Corporation on an agreement with Golden Minerals Company for the exploration of El Quevar silver project, located in the province of Salta, Argentina.
- Counsel to Barrick Gold Corporation and its Argentine subsidiaries on all their operations in Argentina, including administrative matters.
- Counsel to First Quantum Minerals and its Argentine subsidiary in their operations in Argentina.
Javier Rodríguez Galli
‘Availability to work on complex issues with very demanding delivery times’
‘My first experience with Bruchou Fernandez Madero & Lombardi was in 2020. I was pleasantly surprised by their quick ability to analyse, understand and answer complex questions’
‘Very good understanding of the times and customer needs, so that your product is as expected in the expected time’.
‘BFM & L has adapted itself to be very responsive in the decentralized Covid-19 environment’.
‘Javier Rodríguez Galli is a real expert on legal matters related to the oil industry, especially in the Argentine environment’.
Vista Oil & Gas
- Advised YPF on the termination of its LNG vessel charter-and-services agreement with Exmar (triggered by the extraordinary circumstances of the covid-19 pandemic and collapse in LNG prices) involving a $140m settlement deal.
- Advised Equinor Argentina on its $350m joint acquisition (with Shell) of a 49% participating interest in Bandurria Sur oilfield in Vaca Muerta.
- Advised Vista Oil and Gas on its $37.5m acquisition of Aleph Midstream.
Argentina > Environment Tier 2Bruchou & Funes de Rioja’s key strengths in the environmental law area include commercial transactions, preventative advice, management of environmental conflicts and litigation. The practice is well regarded for its ‘good relationship with the authorities’, as well as being ‘deeply involved in the issues, not limiting their participation to the strictly legal’. Mining and environment specialists Sergio Arbeleche and Sebastián Vedoya are department co-heads and can call on the expertise of specialist senior associate Pablo Crimer, who ‘stands out for his conceptual solidity, commitment and professionalism’. Crimer handles environmental liability, compliance, permitting, litigation, public policy and project development, as well conducting environmental due diligence and audits.
Sergio Arbeleche; Sebastián Vedoya
‘The Bruchou, Fernandez Madero & Lombardi environmental team stands out for working as a true team with the company’s in-house lawyers. They are deeply involved in the issues, not limiting their participation to the strictly legal’.
‘They are better than other law firms when it comes to response times and availability’.
‘Pablo Crimer stands out for his conceptual solidity, commitment and professionalism’.
‘Their strengths are that they provide clear and precise answers about the services entrusted to them. They have a very good relationship with the authorities, not only in the follow-up of permits / legal issues but also in the participation of technical / legal meetings, where they demonstrated solvency in the legal matter that I contract them’.
‘The plus compared to others is that they have full knowledge in mining matters, they have very good links with national authorities that allow expediting issues related to permits, very good predisposition when they are required and expedited responses’.
Barrick Gold Corporation
First Quantum Minerals
Dow Chemical (Argentina)
Minera Peregrine Argentina
AES Argentina Generación
- Ongoing advice to Barrick Gold Corporation in legal matters related to the Veladero Mine, the binational Pascua Lama project and the exploration projects acquired and developed by Barrick through its subsidiary Minera Del Carmen; the team also provides general environmental legal advice on matters such as administrative infringements, permitting and legal environmental audits.
- Ongoing assistance to Oxiteno regarding the production and import of dangerous goods and controlled substances, the management of hazardous wastes and environmental impact assessment, among other daily advisory matters.
- Currently advising First Quantum Minerals in connection with the environmental permitting process for the construction and operation of its Taca Taca project; as well as advisory related to the General Environmental Law and the environmental section of the Mining Code.
Estanislao Olmos; Dámaso Pardo
‘The team is knowledgeable about the life sciences industry and were good partners for cross-border M&A deals in this industry. They were also fast and pretty much available at all times – which is key when you need to coordinate several jurisdictions in a cross-border deal’.
‘Gabriel Horácio Lozano is a hands-on partner, great to work with. Always available leading the team to deliver quality and in time work product’.
‘They have been advising us on domestic and international business contracts for over 10 years. He also accompanied us in the development of our corporate legal strategy and defense in contractual conflicts with domestic public bodies’.
‘They know all the particularities of our business from the generic contractual to regulatory aspects. This continuity throughout the years confirms the assertiveness of the advice and gives us the necessary confidence when negotiating our agreements in the countries that we distribute’.
‘I highlight the importance of having a team of professionals with very diverse skills and specialties, which makes them very complete in the advice offered’.
‘Competent and solid in their specialty, team spirit, warmth and cordiality in the interaction and immediate availability for the treatment and resolution of the topics discussed’.
‘I especially highlight Estanislao Olmos and Ignacio Minorini Lima’.
Laboratorio Elea Phoenix
- Assisted Laboratorio Elea Phoenix with the acquisition of the Hepatalgina-business unit (including its industrial plant) from pharmaceutical company, Takeda.
- Regular advice to mechanical ventilator manufacturer Tecme on both local and international distribution matters, customs and other day-to-day affairs; as well as assistance during the Covid-19 pandemic with Argentine government orders and restrictions, as well as supply-chain diffculties during periods of lockdown.
- Assisted Coty Argentina and Coty Incorproated with the reorganisation of certain assets -including the commercialisation rights over the Wella Professional and Opi brands to Wella Argentina- sold to NewCo, a subsidiary of Coty’s strategic partner, KKR; the transaction closed simultaneously in more than twenty jurisdictions, with KKR owning 60% of the standalone Wella entity, while Coty retains the remaining 40%.
Argentina > Public law Tier 2Bruchou & Funes de Rioja’s public law practice focuses on advice in the renewable energy segment, where it provides ‘in-depth knowledge of the Argentine electricity market, with special emphasis on regulatory law’. The team also handles a range of regulatory disputes and issues related to the design and implementation of infrastructure projects and public works (including construction disputes) and has experience in international investment arbitration. Recommended as a ‘brilliant lawyer, with a deep understanding of public law and arbitration’, practice head Ignacio Minorini Lima ‘stands out for his deep knowledge of regulated markets’. Additional senior input comes from senior counsel Carlos de Kemmeter (a profoundly experienced administrative and regulatory law specialist, he was previously head of the administrative law department at the former Negri & Teijeiro Abogados), and his younger colleague, expert counsel Juan Antonio Zocca, who focuses on administrative law issues related to public procurement, hydrocarbons, mining, telecommunications and broadcasting services. At associate level, key support comes from senior María Laura Rozan and intermediate Manuel Mazza. However, former senior associate Eliana Hougassian moved in house at Grupo Albanesi in October 2020, while senior Luis Tamborini and semi-senior Martina Monti both departed to undertake their LLMs in July 2021. Since publication, Zocca has been raised to the partnership – effective as of April 2022.
Ignacio Minorini Lima
‘In-depth knowledge of the Argentine electricity market, with special emphasis on regulatory law’.
‘Ignacio Minorini is an expert in public law, with excellent knowledge of the Argentine infrastructure market. Excellent legal technique. Business oriented’.
‘The legal team we work with is proactive and has legal depth in the analysis and approach of the matters entrusted to it. In this sense, they also have to know about the non-legal aspects of the activity carried out by the client, that is, commercial and operational issues, in such a way that they better understand the facts on which the consultation is based and the client’s needs. In these three aspects, the Bruchou public law team stands out, distinguishing itself from the rest of the legal firms in the market’.
‘I highlight the work of Juan Antonio Zocca, who has always been available to answer our questions (urgent and non-urgent), showing vocation and the drive to find a solution to the problem. Likewise, his dedication and commitment to the quality and perfection of the work’.
‘Bruchou has an incredible depth of knowledge of Argentine public and administrative law, as well as Argentine energy laws and regulations. They are such an incredible resource. Extremely attentive and responsive to queries and client needs, and above all, very practical and international in their outlook’.
‘Hands down, they are the best local counsel or co-counsel I have ever worked with. Bruchou is very good at adapting to the ways other teams work and they collaborate seamlessly in the virtual world. I have also been extremely impressed with the diversity of teams, and the visibility that they give to younger lawyers on matters’
‘Ignacio Minorini Lima is a brilliant lawyer, with a deep understanding of public law and arbitration but also understands the business and never neglects the corporate aspects of the consultations. He is quick and sharp in his response and always provides a scary look on any conflict’.
Inter-American Development Bank
Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques (SITA)
América Latina Logística
Petroquímica Comodoro Rivadavia
AES Corporation / AES Argentina
Vista Oil & Gas
IVI Buenos Aires
Laboratorio Elea Phoenix
- Counsel to AES Corporation in an ICSID claim against the Argentine Republic related to AES’s investment in several power generation companies; the claim covers 20 years of Argentine regulations that dismantled the power generation regime established in the 1990’s with the privatization of the electricity sector.
- Retained by Orígenes AFJP as legal counsel in its claim against the government of Argentina, before Argentine Courts, for the nationalization of its pension funds business by means of federal Law No. 26,425 – issued in late 2008.
- Advisory to Tecme in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic regarding mandatory orders and restrictions imposed by the Argentine Federal Government, provincical, public and private entities with respect to the supply of ventilators.
‘We found a very strong team at Bruchou. Gabriel Lozano and the team have a pragmatic outlook, focused on practice and market facts.‘
‘We had a very good experience with Gabriel Lozano. He was very steeped in background and regulation on the matter for which we consulted him. He has been very flexible and open to constructive comments and discussions.‘
‘They have been very flexible in responding very quickly to our inquiries. And they have been reasonable and willing to agree to very reasonable fees for the analysis. I emphasize that they have looked a lot at the practical experience of recent antecedents when considering the situation for which we consulted them.’
‘It is a very reasonable team of lawyers with clear concepts. They always provide us with security and tranquility with a superlative treatment. Gabriel Lozano, David Kasanzky, Maria Dolores Cedrone. They were very professional and, in addition, they were also flexible when reviewing the fee agreement in view of the exceptional circumstances that we are experiencing in 2020 as a result of Covid-19.’
‘Very close and accessible, as well as professional. All the professionals that make up the team are highly trained, up-to-date, and have suggestive experience to handle these types of issues.‘
‘Its professionals are excellent planners and quality in their presentations, they understand the business, they are dynamic and they perfectly manage the conflict.’
‘I can highlight the great capacity they have to anticipate issues that are to arise, excellent team building and conflict management.’
Grupo Assa Worldwide
- Advised corn and wheat production company Cargill on the acquisition of 40% shares owned by Ledesma in Glucovil Argentina; as a consequence, Cargill owns 70% and Ledesma the remaining 30%, with Cargill retaining a call option on the remaining shares of Ledesma until 2023.
- Advised Patagonia Gold and its controlling shareholder on a reverse takeover transaction with Patagonia Gold (formerly Hunt Mining), including all associated antitrust filings.
- Advising Grisú (a nightclub for students) in a cartel investigation initiated by an alleged competitor in the city of Bariloche – this is a leading case since the CNDC is conducting an investigation pursuant to the Antitrust Act No. 27,442; moreover, the case involved an injunction issued by the CNDC which we have successfully challenged, allowing the client to continue its operations while the case proceeds.
‘The Bruchou team is always available to the different requirements of our company, providing practical and effective solutions. We began to work with Bruchou from the incorporation of Paula Fernandez Pfizenmaier, who has assisted us with trademark issues since the beginning of our company We trust their criteria, their team and we believe that Bruchou is aligned with this way of working.The team with which we interact is very diverse, in terms of gender we see that the majority of people in the team are women.‘
‘Presence, efficiency and warmth. Especially in the case of Paula Fernandez Pfizenmaier.‘
‘We believe that Bruchou is a first level firm, and we see this reflected in the intellectual property team that assists us as well as in the accounting and administrative areas. In our opinion, it stands out from other firms in terms of its level of excellence in all its areas, both legal and administrative.‘
‘Confidence in the good work done. We work with Bruchou via Dámaso Pardo, with whom we are united by years of working together.‘
‘The attorneys in the intellectual/industrial property practice have extensive professional experience in this area and a complete mastery of the matter.‘
‘It compares favourably with the teams of other firms.‘
‘Dámaso Pardo Correa – practice director: involvement, availability and experience.‘
‘Paula Fernandez Pfizenmaier – associate: availability, resolution, experience.‘
Viña Doña Paula
Barrick Gold corporation
Grupo Suramericano de Seguros y Seguros Sura
Eolo Patagonia’s Spirit
Vista Oil and Gas
Sabrostar Fruit Company
- Assisted Netflix with the negotiation of a Master Service Agreement to be signed with a local agency to comply with local legislation.
- Assisting Brubank with trademark protection, software acquisition and licensing, as well as general IP matters.
- Management of major Ecuadorean banana producer / exporter Sabrostar’s trademark portfolio in Argentina.
Argentina > Real estate Tier 3The five-strong practice group at Bruchou & Funes de Rioja is ‘very good technically’ and ‘proactive in solving problems’ for foreign and domestic developers, lenders, investment banks, and real estate funds and investment trusts. The team advises across the spectrum of real estate related transactions, as well as on development projects throughout Argentina, including office buildings, residential homes, apartment buildings and luxury condominiums. Corporate and cross-border specialist Exequiel Buenaventura leads the team and is recommended as an ‘excellent partner’ and ‘technically very complete and capable’ in the real estate sector. Transactional senior associates Pilar Marcó (‘very competent with pragmatic solutions‘) and Hernán Alal are also both noted.
‘The team is very good technically, and proactive in solving problems’.
‘Exequiel Buenaventura, is an excellent partner, technically very complete and capable. Always available to discuss issues, and advise efficiently’.
‘I have worked with Pilar Marcó and she has always responded very quickly in urgent cases. She has struck me as very competent with pragmatic solutions’.
‘Exequiel Buenaventura seems to me to be an excellent professional’.
Argentina > TMT Tier 3‘Characterised by quick and effective responses’, Bruchou & Funes de Rioja’s TMT department ‘stands out for its efficiency and solidity, not only in response times, but also in the ability to go over the key points and provide complete advice’. This full-service offering includes regulatory advice on matters related to authorisations, permits and licenses for the provision of broadcasting and telecommunications services, along with related areas such as use of the radio-electric spectrum, installation of telecommunications equipment and infrastructure, VoIP, permanent roaming and the internet of things. Within this, areas of particular expertise include privacy, data protection issues and IP. Reorganised in August 2020, the nine-strong “Intellectual Property, Privacy, New Technologies and Advertising Law” practice was is now co-led by former INPI President, Dámaso Pardo, who advises and litigates on trade marks, patents, and advertising and marketing law matters; and Ignacio Javier Minorini Lima, whose energy and economic regulation practice stretches into other regulated markets, including telecoms and, additionally, has international and domestic arbitration experience. However, former practice co-head Paula Fernández Pfizenmaier moved in house at Mercado Libre in September 2021
Paula Fernández Pfizenmaier; Dámaso Pardo; Ignacio Javier Minorini Lima
‘Above all, the BFM&L team is characterised by quick and effective responses. Over the years, the firm has continued to stand out for its efficiency and solidity, not only in response times, but also in the ability to go over the key points and provide complete advice’.
‘Very professional team and always updated’
‘They are very proactive in addition to having a permanent collaborative attitude. Empathy and putting yourself in the customer’s shoes’.
‘The work is very good. There is good collaboration and the billing is according to the work. Professionalism and neatness’.
‘Bruchou, Fernandez Madero & Lombardi offers comprehensive advice for the company, in all its areas and activities. In my experience as an internal lawyer for a company, I am very pleased to work with this firm. They have solid professionals in all areas of law’.
‘They have a very clear and transparent billing process, where they give a detailed account of the jobs they are billing. Something very important from a compliance point of view’.
‘I have the pleasure of interacting regularly with Sebastian Vedoya, Sergio Arbeleche, Pablo Crimer and Juan Zocca. All of them great professionals, but above all upright people, with a great vision of the business’.
Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques (SITA)
Barrick Gold Corp
Encompass TIBA Latin America
Lumen Technologies (formerly Century Link Argentina and Level 3 Argentina)
Superliga Argentina de Fútbol
Argentine Banking Association (ABA – Asociación De Bancos De Argentina)
Club Atlético Boca Juniors
Digital House Coding School
- Advised air transport communications and IT specialist company SITA, on general legal matters, including governmental procurement regulations, TMT regulation and data protection and privacy.
- Permanent regular advice to T-Systems Argentina on general telecommunications and software-related matters, licensing agreements, maintenance contracts, IP protection and registrations, services agreements with providers, and currently, particularly regarding litigation concerning enforcement of rights arising out of licensing and implementation agreements.
- Advised electronic transactions business Gire, on several matters related to technology platforms and software; specifically, assisting the company with software implementation and complex data processing transactions, e-commerce and internet-related matters.
Bruchou & Funes de Rioja > Firm Profile
Bruchou was founded in 1990 to provide legal advice to companies operating in an economy subject to rapid and dramatic structural changes, the effect of which was the transition from a paralyzed, state-controlled economy to an open, competitive one.
Our lawyers are composed of highly experienced professionals specialized in all the different key areas of business law.
Currently, Bruchou is a leading law firm in Argentina. We are a comprehensive legal services firm with an international reputation and we are an undisputed market leader. We provide a wide range of legal services to leading companies and financial institutions. We are proud of the role we have played in a large number of significant transactions carried out both in Argentina and internationally, and with the continuous interaction with our clients.
We also assist clients regarding the legal aspects of their overseas investments directly and through our long-term relationships with prestigious law firms throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia.
|Chairman||Hugo NL Bruzone|
|Managing Partner||Liban Kusa|
|Banking and Capital Markets/ Corporate and M&A||Enrique Bruchou|
|Banking and Capital Markets||Carlos E Lombardi|
|Banking & Capital Markets||Matías López Figueroa|
|Banking & Capital Markets||José Bazán|
|Banking & Capital Markets||Alejandro Perelsztein|
|Banking & Capital Markets||Analía Battaglia|
|Corporate and M&A/ Oil and Gas||Javier S Rodríguez Galli|
|Corporate and M&A/ Energy (Electricity)||Mariano L Luchetti|
|Corporate and M&A/ Competition & Antitrust||Estanislao H Olmos|
|Corporate and M&A/ Real Estate & Hospitality||Exequiel Buenaventura|
|Corporate and M&A/ Oil and Gas||Santiago Balbi|
|Corporate and M&A||Pablo Falabella|
|Corporate and M&A/ Competition & Antitrust||Gabriel Lozano|
|Mining/ Environmental law||Sergio Arbeleche|
|Mining/ Environmental law||Sebastián Pedro Vedoya|
|Administrative and regulatory law/ Energy (electricity)/ Arbitration||Ignacio J. Minorini Lima|
|Tax||Matías Olivero Vila|
|Tax||Nicolas Nogueira Castellini|
|Customs & foreign trade||Eduardo Mallea|
|Customs & foreign trade||Maria Laura Bacigalupo|
|Litigation, international arbitration and bankruptcy||Carlos M. Rotman|
|Litigation, international arbitration and bankruptcy||Martín Beretervide|
|Labor law and social security||Geraldine Moffat|
|Labor law and social security||Nilo P. A. Thomas|
|Companies Law & Corporate governance / Corporate and M&A||María Lucila Winschel|
|Corporate Compliance, Internal Investigations and Business Crime||Fernando Basch|
|Corporate Compliance, Internal Investigations and Business Crime||Guillermo Jorge|
|Intellectual Property, Privacy, New Technologies and Legal Advertising||Paula Fernández Pfizenmaier|
|Intellectual Property, Privacy, New Technologies and Legal Advertising||Dámaso A. Pardo|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 70
LanguagesSpanish English German French Portuguese Swedish Italian Hebrew
MembershipsTAXAND World Law Group (WLG) TRACE FraudNet GALA INTA - International Trademark Association
OtherPartners : 33
- Banking and finance
- International trade and customs
- Labour and employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Bankruptcy and restructuring
- Consumer law
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity
- Energy and natural resources > Mining
- Energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Life sciences and healthcare
- Public law