Allende & Brea > BUENOS AIRES, Argentina > Firm Profile
Allende & Brea Offices
Maipú 1300, Piso 11, C1006ACT
Allende & Brea > The Legal 500 RankingsAllende & Brea stands out for its ‘knowledge of the mining industry, both from a local perspective and an understanding of what foreign mining investors are looking for’. The multidisciplinary mining practice is highly regarded for its ‘assertive and prudent way of handling the issues raised’ as well as ‘clarity in its approaches and responses’. A key specialism for the team, currently, is the lithium industry, in which segment the team not only advises on major transactions -such as Pluspetrol’s recent $85m acquisition of 300 lithium titles- but also advises foreign state agencies (such as the US Department of State and the Australian embassy) and investment agencies. Indeed, the practice has been at the forefront of the majority of significant transactions in the mining sector as a whole, representing Galaxy, for instance, on its $280m sale of assets in the provinces of Salta and Catamarca to Posco. Overall head of the energy and natural resources practice, renowned mining lawyer Florencia Heredia has ‘incomparable experience’; she focuses on natural resource and energy matters in general (and increasingly, arbitration), but her core focus remains mining, where she is a ‘very dependable source for information related to all aspects of a mining transaction’. Senior associate Agostina Martinez and associate Valentina Surraco are increasingly active in post-lithium, battery-minerals and rare earth issues. However, dual qualified associate Nahila Cortes left the firm in July 2021, as did former group co-head Juan Martín Allende, who retired from practice in March 2020 to focus on business and M&A consulting.
‘Very capable. Florencia Heredia is an international star in the mining industry.’
‘Florencia Heredia has incomparable experience in dealing with complex international and national matters.’
‘Knowledge of the mining industry, both from a local perspective, and an understanding of what foreign mining investors are looking for from a legal advisor.’
‘Excellent relationship with clients, quick response, focus on essential issues. Assertive and prudent way of handling the issues raised; clarity in their approaches and responses to the queries made’.
‘Allende & Brea is a full service law firm and draws on the experience of different practice groups to provide thorough and thoughtful advice’.
‘The core team that I worked with were able to provide a seamless service and we could follow up with different team members who were all up to speed on the significant issues’.
‘I have worked extensively over the years with Florencia Heredia on mining related transactions. Florencia is a very dependable source for information related to all aspects of a mining transaction. She works well leading a team of lawyers as needed for a specific transaction. She is very responsive and is a trusted advisor.’
‘Florencia Heredia is in constant communication with me and her experience goes beyond what is strictly legal. She has been in the Argentine mining market for many years, knows in detail the jurisprudence of the main mining provinces of Argentina and has a broad vision of the mining business.‘
Pluspetrol (Litica Resources)
Volcan Compañía Minera
Royal Capital Management
Resource Capital Funds
Minera del Altiplano
First Quantum Minerals
Nomad Royalty Company
- Advice to Galaxy Resources on the $280m acquisition by Posco of the mining properties owned by Galaxy in the province of Salta and Catamarca.
- Advised Pluspetrol on its acqusition of all the outstanding common shares of LSC Lithium Corporation, representing the first landing of a major oil and gas company into the lithium sector.
- Due diligence and advice to Nomad on its $65m acquisition of a portfolio of Yamana Gold’s royalty interests and the contingent payment to be received upon declaration of commercial production at the Deep Carbonates Project at the Gualcamayo gold mine, located in the province of San Juan, Argentina.
Argentina > Insurance Tier 1Providing ‘unmatched technical knowledge’ Allende & Brea’s market leading practice ‘goes beyond the regulatory or litigation aspects, but understands the insurance business and its advice is nurtured by that understanding’. The team specialises in representing international reinsurers and reinsurance brokers, as well as insurance and reinsurance associations. Key strengths include advising on corporate and regulatory matters, claim issues and the Argentine reinsurance regime. Martín Argañaraz leads the group and is recommended for his ‘unparalleled market and business knowledge’. Also notable are Laura Santanatoglia, who focuses on advising insurance and reinsurance companies, brokers and other clients on regulatory matters; and experienced associate María Agustina Diaz.
‘Efficiency – quick understanding on foreign legal systems’.
‘A great team with unmatched technical knowledge’.
‘Its look goes beyond the regulatory or litigation aspect, but understands the insurance business and its advice draws on that understanding’.
‘The partner in charge, Martín Argañaraz Luque, has unparalleled market and business knowledge. He understands the focus of the query and the response is not only technically flawless, but he has an eye on the business that leads to the expected result’.
Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company
AmTrust North America
Assuranceforeningen Skuld (Gjensidig)
Boston Compañía Argentina de Seguros
Caja de Seguros
Compagnie Francaise D Assurance pour le Commerce Exterieur – COFACE
Lloyd’s of London
McDermott Will & Emery
Miller Insurance Services
Mobiliare Svizzera Societá D’Assicurazioni
Partner Reinsurance (Dublin)
Partner Reinsurance Company
QBE Management Services (UK)
RBS Reinsurance Broking Services Corredores de Reaseguros
Pembroke Managing Agency
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions
Tokio Marine Kiln Group
Steptoe & Johnson UK
John Hancock Life Insurance Company
- Advising German reinsurer Deutsche Rückversicherung Aktiengesellschaft on its registration to undertake reinsurance businesses in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and the Dominican Republic, as a foreign reinsurer.
- Assisting the French reinsurer CCR Re with a multi-jurisdictional registration process (Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay and Peru).
- Advised Chinese reinsurer PICC on the company’s registration so as to undertake reinsurance businesses in Argentina.
Allende & Brea’s diverse bankruptcy and restructuring practice has experience ranging from representing corporate debtors in reorganization proceedings and out-of-court restructurings, to advising creditors in connection with reorganizations and liquidations, the acquisition of bankrupt companies and foreclosure of securities. Enrique Cristian Fox focuses on judicial and extra-judicial debt restructuring, purchase and sale of companies in bankruptcy and arbitration proceedings. He co-leads the team with David Gurfinkel, who handles commercial litigation, arbitration, bankruptcy and compliance; and Diego Botana, whose areas of expertise include corporate reorganizations, debt restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency.
Enrique Cristian Fox; David Gurfinkel; Diego Botana
‘Very solid legal knowledge and ability to communicate it in a simple and concise way.‘
‘David Gurfinkel is without a doubt one of the best litigation lawyers active today; he collaborates quickly and explains the advantages and disadvantages in a complete and simple way .‘
NV Desmet Ballestra Group
Chubb Argentina de Seguros
Smith & Nephew
Standard Chartered Bank
Mefro Wheels GmbH
- Advised Desmet Ballestra Group on the debt restructuring of Alloco, a controlled company located in Rosario, Province of Santa Fe; involving advice in relation to creditors’ claims, Unions’ negotiations, recognition of pending credits by Tax authorities and a challenge of creditors’ claims at Court.
- Advise Desmet Ballestra Group on the debt restructuring of Desmet Ballestra Argentina, a controlled company located in Buenos Aires.
- Advised Argentine companies of Codere Group on the restructuring of $1.5bn debt on which they are guarantor.
Known for its strong merger control practice and international presence, Allende & Brea’s well-earned reputation is partly due to participating in several of the most important cartel cases in Argentina. The firm also holds leadership positions in the Antitrust Committee of the International Bar Association, the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association, at Fordham Competition Law Institute, and the American Antitrust Institute. Julián Peña leads the practice and focuses on antitrust matters, dumping and international trade. A key name in his team is Federico Rossi who was promoted to partner in 2021 and who handles a range of competition and antitrust issues, including merger control proceedings, cartel investigations, dominance and sector enquiries.
International Business Machines (IBM)
CDC (La Caisse des Depots et Consignations)
Thermo Fischer Scientific
Brighstar Capital Partners
- Advised global, biopharmaceutical company AbbVie on the acquisition of Allergan.
- Represented Bain Capital on its acquisition of Ahlström-Munksjo.
- Advised Brighstar Capital Partners on the acquisition of Brighstar Corporation from Softbank.
Argentina > Compliance Tier 2
The experienced compliance and investigations team at Allende & Brea is made up of specialists across key relevant practice areas and industries, notably antitrust, healthcare, environmental law, IP, technology and the regulated markets - particularly banking and insurance. Another factor that differentiates the firm is its particular IT expertise which is brought to bear in the collection, review and production of evidence, including electronic device imaging, high-volume data collection and digitalization. Senior partner David Gurfinkel focuses on commercial litigation and arbitration, as well as being experienced in compliance and antitrust related investigations, insolvency proceedings and class action claims. He co-leads the practice with María Morena del Río, who is known for regulatory law and healthcare advice.
David Gurfinkel; María Morena del Río
Aspen Insurance Group
- Advised Mastercard on execution of the “National Emergency Food Card” project conducted jointly with Banco de la Nación Argentina to ensure its compliance with the applicable Argentine anticorruption regulations.
- Advised Unipar Indupa on the drafting of a donation agreement of funds and one hundred tons of sodium hypochlorite to the Municipality of Bahia Blanca to produce sanitizers and antiseptics in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised Wells Fargo on the completion of legal survey on the local regulations applicable to Wells Fargo and its foreign subsidiaries when doing business in Argentina, including anticorruption and anti-money laundering regulations.
Argentina > Environment Tier 2
Allende & Brea’s environment practice combines ‘knowledge of the subject,' with 'understanding of the client and the context' and 'adaptation and communication skills’. A key area of work is advising on compliance with Argentine environmental regulations, including the obtaining of industrial, air, water and hazardous waste permits. The team is also experienced in assisting with environmental audits and due diligence procedures, as well as drafting environmental provisions for capital markets, project finance, public offerings and M&A. On the contentious side, the practice handles a range of litigation and conciliation agreements arising from environmental administrative and civil proceedings. María Morena del Río ‘stands out for her excellent treatment of the client, commitment to business, corporate vision and for possessing the required knowledge, versatility and creativity’. She co-leads the team with energy and natural resources expert Florencia Heredia. Key associate support comes from senior associate Martín Alejo Prieto, a dedicated administrative and environmental practitioner who undertakes individual and collective environmental disputes and litigation, as well as advisory on environmental regulatory compliance.
María Morena del Río; Florencia Heredia
‘The Allende & Brea team has technical knowledge and efficient management of matters, together with skills in communicating with the client and versatility (it provides the service through its partners), this being a comparative advantage that stands out’.
‘Since the declaration of the pandemic and the new forms of communication, Allende & Brea has launched a series of very useful trainings for clients on topics of great interest and current relevance, such as the Covid-19 protocols and teleworking, among others, differing from the service provided by other firms’.
‘Their knowledge of the subject, understanding of the client and the context and adaptation and communication skills, that is, the very good client service’.
‘Maria Morena del Rio stands out for her excellent treatment with the client, commitment to business, corporate vision and for possessing the required knowledge, versatility and creativity’.
Estancias Unidas del Sud
Fundación Oncológica Anna y Elena Bonatti Rocca
Milliken Do Brasil Comercio Textil e Representacao de Productos Quimicos
Estancias Unidas del Sud
Van Hessen Argentina
Members of the UTE Aguas del Paraná
Minera del Altiplano
- Onbgoing advisory to Galaxy Lithium (Sal de Vida) regarding environmental matters related to the Sal de Vida lithium project.
- Representing Unipar in several environmental lawsuits, including a collective environmental damage lawsuit filed by local fishermen alleging environmental damages, and additional tort lawsuits filed by members of the community.
- Advising Estancias Unidas del Sud (ESSUD) on all environmental aspects of the agriculture and stockbreeding business and on the obtaining of all necessary environmental licenses and permits within the framework of the companys reorganisation; as well as advisory regarding the environmental aspects of mining activity carried out on its property by third parties.
Argentina > Public law Tier 2
Regarded as ‘one of the best law firms in terms of public law, both in terms of advice and litigation matters’, Allende & Brea’s practice ‘knows the issues of public law very well, the management of the executive power and its structure, as well as being very up-to-date on the regulations’. Acting for foreign and domestic businesses, the firm provides expertise in public procurement, administrative and environmental law, M&A and project finance. A ‘very distinguished professional with great knowledge’, practice head María Morena del Río has built a team with 'strong legal knowledge' and 'practical experience on how to deal with complex scenarios', that is 'very collaborative' and which 'provides a first class service to clients'. Key associate support comes from Giuliana Busso and Sofia Cimmarusti, who ‘stands out for her knowledge and excellent ability to interpret the problems we have as clients’. Moreover, the team can also call on corporate partner Diego Botana, an 'impeccable lawyer' who ‘combines a depth of knowledge of public and constitutional law with a very practical and hands-on approach’ .
María Morena del Río
‘Members of A&B public law department have both a strong legal knowledge of the law and practical experience on how to deal with complex scenarios providing a very useful practical advice in this area’.
‘Diego Botana is clearly a fine lawyer and probably one of the best in this legal area. He combines a depth of knowledge of public and constitutional law with a very practical and hands-on approach. Additionally, his opinions and analysis are very realistic and forthcoming thus not creating unrealistic expectations on the outcome of the matter which we find very valuable to avoid unnecessary litigation and looking for better way to find a solution’.
‘The public law team at Allende & Brea is truly excellent. It provides a first class service to its clients’.
‘Headed by Maria Morena del Rio, it is in my opinion one of the best law firms in terms of public law, both in terms of advice and litigation matters. The lawyers are very collaborative, being permanently aware of the client’s needs, especially in highly complex issues. They work as a team, very openly and respecting each other. They are very attentive to customer needs, providing a high quality technical and professional service. They have a very cordial and direct treatment with the client, being able to count on them permanently. They are up-to-date and know the ins and outs of the practice very well. I think all of these are qualities that set them apart from their competitors’.
‘María Morena del Río is a very distinguished professional, with great knowledge and, above all, a very respectful person in her dealings with the client. Likewise, it is also fair to highlight the associates Giuliana Busso, Sofia Cimmarusti and Maria Macarena de Corneliis. They all form a great team, providing permanent dedication to the client and a very good treatment’.
‘The team is solid, they have correct knowledge of the legal framework and applicable jurisprudence. They also handle the creation of strategies very well, with which they are a great contribution when it comes to putting together an administrative and judicial strategy’.
‘In my experience they are at the level of the best’.
‘Diego Botana is an impeccable lawyer with a very good general approach, in addition to having good handling in situations under pressure and negotiations’.
Hughes Networks – Echo Start
Mastercard Cono Sur
Thermo Fisher Scientific
LSG Sky Chefs Argentina
Metlife Seguros de Retiro
Minera del Altiplano
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Europe Limited
Van Hessen Holding
HBO Latin American Group
Ente Nacional de Alto Rendimiento Deportivo
Galaxy Lithium (Sal de Vida
- Permanent advice to Thermo Fisher Scientific on the perfmrance of administrative contracts signed with public entities (such as the Ministry of Health, PAMI, Cordoba National University, Argentine Federal Police), as well as reguatory comliance to obtain applicable authorisations from relevant authorities; during the pandemic the advisory has also included interpretation of the specific direct purchasing procedure instigated by the national government.
- General advice to Mastercard Cono Sur on regulatory matters, as well as training regarding public procurements processes.
- Advisory to Minera del Altiplano regarding mining royalties claims by Salta Province within Salta’s alleged jurisdiction (that is, including territory that is subject to a border dispute between the provinces of Salta and Catamarca: el Salar del Hombre Muerto) and currently involving assistance with the preparation and submission of a reimbursement judicial action before the local Salta Court in order to request a judicial review of two decrees issued by the Governor of the Province rejecting the latest administrative appeals submitted by the company; the team is also assisting the client in matters related to an export-revenues repatriation claim.
Firm-wide financial services expertise at Allende & Brea has seen its banking and finance team secure mandates on a wide range of matters that extend beyond capital raising and lending and include regulatory and compliance work for banks and fintechs. The ‘interdisciplinary’ and ‘commercial’ practice has advised Bank of China on establishing its operations in Argentina and supported Trend Capital’s investment in Puro Aval, supporting the roll-out of new financial products for local SMEs. The ‘highly-trusted’ and ‘indispensable’ Carlos M Melhem is highly recommended and co-heads the practice alongside ‘number one contact’ Jorge I Mayora. Associate and fintech specialist Dolores María Muñiz is ‘a pleasure to work with’ and provides ‘excellent advice’.
Carlos María Melhem; Jorge Ignacio Mayora
‘A solid and experienced team that makes the client’s objectives their own. Carlos Melhem is an experienced lawyer well versed in financial and legal matters.’
‘The partners are a powerful group of young lawyers passionate about what they do and about supporting their clients. Jorge Mayora is my number one contact and main advisor. Carlos Melhem also stands out as being highly trusted.’
‘They are very commercially aware and give practical advice combined backed up by thorough research of the local laws. They make themselves available at short notice and are always ready to assist.’
‘Dolores Muniz is such a pleasure to work with. She provides excellent advice, which is both practical and supported by legal arguments, in a way anyone can understand.’
‘An interdisciplinary team. Together they can support us in all necessary aspects. They are highly trained in different specialties. They act quickly. Carlos Melhem stands out among the team.’
‘Very professional in their work and responsive to highly technical questions.’
‘Carlos Melhem is indispensable to our company.’
‘The Allende & Brea team is always willing to collaborate.’
Avis Budget Group
Banco Itaú Argentina
Banco Santander Río
Bank Lombard Odier
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Bank of China Limited
Banque Internationale Luxembourg
Banco BBVA Argentina
- Advised Trend Capital on its investment into Puro Aval, which will support the roll-out of financial products that give Argentine SMEs access to more financing options.
- Advised Bank of China on the establishment of a full branch in Argentina.
- Advised a bank consortium comprising BNP Paribas, Commerzbank, HSBC Trinkaus & Burkhardt, Intesa Sanpaolo and UniCredit in connection with a capital facility for wind-farm group, Nordex.
‘Dedication and attention to detail’ are the hallmarks of the Allende & Brea team, which is led by experienced M&A lawyer Valeriano Guevara Lynch and corporate and finance partner Santiago Sturla , who clients praise for his ‘comprehensive vision to solve problems’. The recently promoted partner Tomás de Cío is also highly rated by clients, with agribusiness specialist Raúl Fratantoni and transactional expert Diego Botana additional key contacts. The team has an impressive roster of insurance clients, which it advises on corporate and M&A matters. Agribusiness, technology and mining are among its other industry strengths. The practice demonstrates considerable capability advising on cross-border deals, such as advising General Electric on the Argentine aspects of the sale of its BioPharma business to General Electric.
Valeriano Guevara Lynch; Santiago Sturla
‘The relationship with Allende & Brea as excellent. The get into matters in an exceptional way. They do an exhaustive research on the issues and invest time in order to fully understand a matter. Their predisposition to spend time outside of normal hours is exceptional. The provide 24/7 attention.’
‘They work as a team and are very solid. They are very efficient in terms of response times. They drive the processes. They put aside the formality and stuffiness of the big firms to become co-workers. The have a high degree of training and demonstrate dedication and attention to detail.’
‘The team is always available to answer our calls and they coordinate teamwork in an exceptional way. They are very practical in solving any problems arise.’
‘Tomas Di Cio and Santiago Sturla have a comprehensive vision to solve problems and stand out for being very clear in their presentations and explanations not only for the company’s lawyers, but also for communicating with other professionals trained in different areas.’
Brightstar Capital Partners
CBRE Richard Ellis
Ge Digital International
Mercedes-Benz Camiones y Buses Argentina
The British Council
- Advised General Electric on the sale of its BioPharma business to Danaher, incuding the negotiation of local agreements and corresponding corporate registration filings.
- Advised Codere on a debt offering, involving working on the restructuring of €250m in existing debt so as to facilitate the deal.
- Advised Grupo Fortabat on the reorganisation of its agribusiness and mining operations, which involved structuring a tax-free spin-off / merger of real estate and other assets.
Allende & Brea is recommended for being ‘always updated at the level of doctrine and jurisprudence’. The firm has a ‘great capacity to find innovative solutions’ and the ‘solidity and quality of customer service are distinguishing factors, which allow them to stand out from other firms’. A key specialism for the broad litigation and arbitration practice is class action cases, particularly in the financial and insurance areas; another is commercial arbitration. Co-head David Gurfinkel always has 'a correct vision of the case' along with 'unrivalled writing skill’. He co-leads the team with Enrique Cristian Fox, who is known for assisting in complex shareholder-conflicts and acting as arbitrator in commercial disputes. At associate level, experienced seniors Diego Paz Saravia and Daiana Mascheroni are both noted.
David Gurfinkel; Enrique Cristian Fox
‘An excellent team, always available to answer questions and with detailed knowledge of the cases in their charge’.
‘David Gurfinkel is exceptional, always with a correct vision of the case and with an unrivaled writing ability. He is a very special practice. He requires special focus on defending the interests of the client and a great capacity and attention to meet the established strategy’.
‘The A&B team is a solid team, very well prepared and with a great capacity to respond to the client. Its solidity and quality of customer service are distinguishing factors, which allow the firm to stand out from other’.
‘They apply technologies to keep track of the issues. They are permanently aware of them and their news. They are always updated at the level of doctrine and jurisprudence, which positively distinguishes them from other firms’.
‘Its lawyers are distinguished by their warmth and excellent predisposition to the needs of the client. In addition, they have a great capacity to find innovative solutions in relation to the questions that are consulted’.
‘They are very respectful and attentive. Among the lawyers in the area, I can highlight David Gurfinkel and associates Diego Paz Saravia, Denisse Hernaez, Daiana Mascheroni and Giuliana Busso’.
‘Knowledge of the company, commitment to the client, honesty, personal values that match those of our company, professional capacity. They stand out in the market over other offices’
Bbva Banco Frances
Caja De Seguros
Chubb & Son
Hbo Ole International Marketing
Minera Del Altiplano- Livent Corporation
Mastercard Cono Sur
- Representing Metlife Group in various class action lawsuits filed by consumer protection associations claiming payment of millionaire indemnifications as a consequence of the terms and conditions set forth between insurance companies and local financial institutions when granting credit life-coverage to financial-institution clients.
- Representing Chubb Argentina de Seguros in a conflict related to the determination of damages arising from the termination of construction and concession agreements with SOCMER.
- Representing and assisting Caja de Seguros in multiple class actions filed by consumers associations and consumers.
The multidisciplinary team at Allende & Brea advises power industry clients on transactional, regulatory, environmental, tax, financial and litigation matters. The firm is increasingly active in the design and construction of natural gas and combined cycle power plants, as well as in the renewable energy space; work in the latter area ranges from the negotiation of EPC contracts to the acquisition and financing of projects. Florencia Heredia leads the team and handles natural resources and energy matters, notably forestry, fisheries, mining law and environmental matters. Fellow partner Marcos Patron Costas undertakes cross border M&A and project financing, with a primary focus on the energy sector.
Energyst Rental Solutions
China Machinery Engineering Corporation
Siemens Financial Services
- Successfully representing Siemens in a lawsuit filed against one of the most relevant local public-works constructors due to certain contractual breaches in the construction of a thermal power plant.
- Representing GE Power in a lawsuit filed by an Argentine construction company regarding the construction of thermal nuclear power plant “Loma de la Lata” before local courts, in violation of the arbitration clause applicable to the contract.
- Advised FMC Lithium (Livent) on the development of a renewable energy project to improve the supply of electricity to the communities within the zone of influence of the FMC (Livent)’s Salar del Hombre Muerto lithium project, which is currently undergoing a $300m expansion.
The Pokemon Company International
John Bean Technologies
Fender Musical Instruments
- Trademark registration and enforcement of Facebook trademarks; including successful objections to multiple third parties trade mark applications referencing Facebook’s “F” logo.
- Trade mark registration and enforcement for Instagram; including objection to the use and registration of over 60 trade mark applications containing “INSTA” plus a generic term or a generic term plus “GRAM”.
- Trademark registration and enforcement of WhatsApp trade marks; involving successful objections to multiple third parties trade mark applications containing WhatsApp’s speech bubble logo.
L&G Global labour alliance member for Argentina, Allende & Brea’s practice ‘goes beyond mere interpretation of the law' and 'seeks to collaborate with the company's strategy by providing creative solutions in an adverse context’. The six-strong team handles the labour aspects of M&A and associated due diligence processes, the identification of labour liabilities, advises on local office and branch closures and assists with a variety of international issues. The Covid-19 pandemic led to an increase in medical and health consultancy work in the employment space, as well as advice related to large-scale furloughs and employment terminations. On the data front, the practice is also experienced in matters related to e-mail monitoring and privacy policies. Nicolás Grandi leads the team and focuses on employment advice for multinational and local corporations, especially regarding M&A, employee transfers, global transactions and labour litigation. Experienced associate Lucas Tamagno advises on both individual and collective labour matters.
‘A&B’s labour and employment area goes beyond mere interpretation of the law, it seeks to collaborate with the company’s strategy by providing creative solutions in an adverse context’.
‘Lucas Tamagno always gives me points of view looking for solutions, not just explanations’.
MasterCard International Corporation
Bank of China
Wells Fargo Bank
- Advise Thermo Fisher on every day labour matters, employee termination s and labour claims, as well as advice regarding the closure of one of its local related companies and the execution of mutual termination agreements with employees.
- Advised Lazard on everyday labour matters and dismissal of employees.
- Advice and negotiation of severance packages for Perform Media regarding personnel and high-level executives, including signing settlement agreements with top executives and UK related companies.
Argentina > Tax Tier 3
The ‘responsive’ Allende & Brea tax team 'finds solutions' and outlines ‘the options and associated risks’ for its clients, which include a number of multinational firms who turn to the firm for advice on transactions and litigation. The firm also has a well-established private client practice, advising high-net worth families and individuals on tax planning and wealth management. The ‘outstanding’ Nicolas Procopio and private wealth and international tax law expert Raúl Fratantoni lead the team. At associate level, the team was strengthened in January 2021 with the return of senior associate Mariano Federico Anna, whose experience now includes a period at the Administración Gubernamental de Ingresos Públicos.
Raúl Fratantoni; Nicolás Procopio
‘They respond quickly and know tax very well.’
‘The outstanding Nicolas Procopio makes a perfect team with Bautista Dasso, who is an excellent professional.’
‘The Allende & Brea team is always willing to collaborate. They have specialists who provide excellent service and advice. Response times are tailored to business needs, which provides agility.’
‘Responsiveness and finding solutions make the team unique. Always able to explain the options and associated risks.’
Standard Chartered Bank
Mastercard Cono Sur
Brightstar Capital Partners Fund
Albagli – Zaliasnik
Azul Natural Beef
- Reviewed the master pre-export finance facility agreement and its amendment from an Argentine tax law perspective, saving Standard Chartered Bank and Bunge Argentina 1.5% in stamp tax which otherwise would have applied in several Argentine local jurisdictions.
- Advised the British Council and other international organisations on the introduction of COVID tax relief measures applicable to local companies; in order to access these tax relief measures, Argentine taxpayers were required to comply with several requirements, involving corporate, tax and foreign exchange dispositions.
- Reviewing and implementing amendments to a Syngenta Agro pension plan to adapt to changes in the Argentine tax and achieve a tax efficient structure for the company and employees.
Argentina > TMT Tier 3
Best known for handling novel technology issues, Allende & Brea advises telecom, media, technology, e-commerce and fintech industries on a range of issues. The firm provides expertise in software licensing, outsourcing, data protection, privacy policies, internet and entertainment law. On the contentious side, the team is also experienced in cases related to data breaches, computer contracts, software licensing and personal data. New York-qualified head of practice Pablo Palazzi has over 25 years' experience and focuses on industrial and intellectual property issues, internet and technology law, data protection, domain-name registration and fintech matters. Primary associate support comes from senior Lucila Lódola de San Martín, who handles IP and IT advisory and litigation, data privacy and telecom and broadcasting regulatory matters.
‘The team is a specialist in issues related to privacy and data protection, and they are differentiated by the firm’s track record on these issues.‘
‘Pablo Palazzi stands out for his career and international renown as one of the most recognised lawyers in the field of data protection and privacy.‘
Libra Association (Facebook Technologies)
- Assisted Michaels Bubble and Luisana Lopilato in bringing injunctions and judicial actions against media companies due to the infringement of personal image rights on social networks and telecommunication channels.
- Undertook the analysis of various aspects of the creation of an electronic wallet and crypto currency for Libra Association.
- Undertook the review of several templates to be used by the Amazon Prime Video service in Argentina including services agreement, data transfer agreements and other accords.
Undertaking tailor-made work, Allende & Brea has a 50-year history in the energy and natural resources sector. If best known today for its market-leading mining practice, the firm has nevertheless been re-building its presence in the oil and gas segment, where it advises clients on both corporate and regulatory matters. The six-strong, multidisciplinary team has extensive industry knowledge - particularly regarding contractual, regulatory, environmental, tax and financing issues - along with profound experience of transactions in heavily-regulated sectors. The practice is led by senior partner Florencia Heredia who has expertise across the energy and natural resources sector (including forestry and fisheries), as well as on environmental matters and corporate sustainability. Additional partner involvement comes from Marcos Patron Costas who advises local and foreign clients on cross-border M&A and project-finance transactions, with a primary focus on the energy industry. Currently undertaking a post-graduate qualification in hydrocarbons and energy industry regulation, key associate Agostina Martinez has a specialisation in international oil and gas law, contracts and negotiations.
Champion X Corporation
Patagonia Shale Services
Indigo Energy Partners
Rhoda Poliamida e especialidades
Sabre Drilling Argentina
JX Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation
Proenergy Holding Company
Mercuria Energy Trading
- Advised YPF by providing an assessment regarding its compliance and corporate governance program practices vis-á-vis the most relevant applicable Argentine and US laws, regulations and best practices.
- Advised Apergy Corporation (currently Champion X Corporation) on corporate and contractual matters related to its holding in a joint venture with local partners to produce highly-engineered equipment and technologies for the oil and gas production sector (including drill rigs, articifical lift equipment, etc), at a manufacturing plant in La Pampa province.
- General advisory to Weatherford on a daily basis regarding its operations in Argentina, including agreements, labour, foreign exchange matters and litigation.
Allende & Brea > Firm Profile
Allende & Brea was founded in 1957 and has become a leading full-service law firm with specialists in all branches of law, qualified to provide its clients with practical business solutions that are viable, innovative and always cost effective.
Areas of practice
Anticorruption: A team of professionals is specialised in the training and application of good corporate practices and ethics. The firm also advises its clients, both locally and regionally, in investigations and anticorruption litigation.
Antitrust: Allende & Brea has one of Argentina’s most recognised antitrust practices. The firm advises many clients in a variety of matters in connection with merger control filings, antitrust litigation, joint ventures, distribution agreements, , licensing and franchising agreements.
Banking and finance: The firm advises financial institutions on matters ranging from commercial or syndicated loans to capital markets transactions, direct investments, reorganizations, collections, financial leasing, trade financing, and letters of credit, among others.
Bankruptcy reorganisation: Allende & Brea’s team of experts in bankruptcy, reorganisation and debt restructuring are frequently involved representing both creditors and debtors, in some of the most important reorganisation proceedings in Argentina.
Corporate: Allende & Brea’s general corporate practice group deals with all types of matters, from routine ones to the most complex transactions. The firm’s services include designing corporate structures and tax mechanisms, incorporating companies and representing clients in a broad range of corporate activities.
Employment: Allende & Brea works to prevent legal disputes by giving preventive advice and, where the dispute has already arisen, the firm works on the defence throughout all the administrative and court stages of the proceedings.
Energy and natural resources: The firm has actively participated in the development of the energy and natural resources industry for more than 50 years providing legal advice to clients in the oil, gas, power and mining industries.
The firm advises its clients during the whole life span of the project, including its structuring, the obtainment of permits, licenses and financing, the construction, operation and maintenance and eventual transfer of the assets involved.
Environmental: The firm advises a broad range of companies in different industries on their compliance with Argentine environmental regulations. The firm also assists companies in conducting environmental audits and due diligence reviews and represents clients in various environment-related claims.
Forestry: Allende & Brea advises and represents clients in all aspects of the forestry industry. The firm has a deep understanding of forestry business and of the different regulations applicable to the sector, and over the years has acquired extensive experience in acquisition and dispositions of forestry lands, plants and wood-related companies.
Intellectual property: In this age of information technology and knowledge management, patents, trade-marks, industrial secrets, know-how, domain names, copyright and other intellectual rights have all become negotiable assets whose value often surpasses those of traditional physical assets. To handle this fast-developing business, Allende & Brea has set up its Intellectual and Industrial Property Department, which focuses exclusively on this area.
Insurance and reinsurance: Allende & Brea has been recognised as a leading insurance and reinsurance law firm over the years. The firm represents clients in a variety of insurance and reinsurance related matters, such as regulatory, M&A and claims issues in both judicial and arbitration tribunals.
Infrastructure: The infrastructure practice works on both public works and private investments on infrastructure assets, including financing, regulatory matters, tax, environment and arbitration and litigation on construction projects.
Life sciences and healthcare: Allende & Brea advises companies in the industry in their daily operations and in local and cross-border M&A transactions, including joint ventures, divestitures, reorganizations, manufacturing and license and distribution agreements, among others. The firm advises its clients in all regulatory aspects of the industry, including healthcare, drugs, medical devices, cosmetics and food, and in their dealings with the Argentine regulatory authorities.
Litigation and arbitration: The firm’s litigation attorneys handle a wide range of civil, commercial, administrative and family law cases, in judicial and administrative courts, at both the federal and provincial levels. The firm is experienced in handling complex cases which require managing multiple participants and large volumes of documentation.
Mergers and acquisitions: Allende & Brea has a broad-based acquisition and divestiture expertise, which includes regulated industries. Transactions of this type often involve complex antitrust, intellectual property, labour, securities, tax and environmental issues. Whenever appropriate, a multidisciplinary team is assembled to ensure that all aspects of the transaction are thoroughly covered.
Real estate: The firm’s services include acquisitions, cross-border joint ventures, financing, investment, structuring, commercial leasing, and purchases, land development and planning, condominium and residential/vacation developments, hotel management.
Regulatory: Allende & Brea actively participates in a wide range of regulated markets and industries, advising its clients in public procurement, public tenders, public offerings, negotiating concessions, public works, permits and all types of procedures.
Tax: Allende & Brea’s tax experts know that their job is to minimise tax liabilities while strictly ensuring compliance with the law. The firm advises clients on the implementation of tax-efficient structures and tax planning.
Technology: Allende & Brea is a pioneer in counselling clients in this field. Services cover all aspects of the industry.
|Managing partner||Valeriano Guevara Lynchemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9902|
|Antitrust||Julián Peñafirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9907|
|Banking and capital markets||Carlos M Melhememail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9962|
|Banking and capital markets||Jorge I Mayorafirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9987|
|Corporate and M&A||Valeriano Guevara Lynchemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9902|
|Corporate and M&A||Santiago Sturlafirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9932|
|Corporate and M&A||Diego Botanaemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9928|
|Corporate and M&A||Raúl Fratantonifirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9950|
|Corporate and M&A||Marcos Patron Costasemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9943|
|Energy and natural resources||Florencia Herdiafirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9968|
|Environmental/administrative||María Morena del Ríoemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9957|
|Insurance and reinsurance||Martín Argañaraz Luquefirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9975|
|Insurance and reinsurance||Laura E Santanatogliaemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9948|
|Intellectual property||Pablo A Palazzifirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9986|
|Labor and employment||Nicolás Grandiemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9984|
|Litigation||David Gurfinkelfirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9901|
|Litigation||Cristian E Foxemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9927|
|Tax||Nicolas Procopiofirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9941|
|Life Sciences and Healthcare||Fernando Martínez Zuviríaemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9933|
|Corporate and M&A||Tomás Di Ciófirstname.lastname@example.org||+54 11 4318-9966|
|Antitrust||Federico Rossiemail@example.com||+54 11 4318-9904|
|Mr Martín Argañaraz Luque||Partner. He is the head of the insurance & reinsurance team and…||View Profile|
|Mr Diego Botana||Partner. He specializes in general corporate practice, with special focus on commercial…||View Profile|
|Mrs María Morena Del Río||Partner. She has specialized in administrative law and economic regulatory practice. She…||View Profile|
|Mr Enrique Cristian Fox||Partner. A specialist in commercial and corporate law, he has worked on…||View Profile|
|Mr Raúl Fratantoni||Since he joined Allende & Brea, he is part of our Corporate…||View Profile|
|Mr Nicolás Grandi||Partner. He is an expert on civil, labor and commercial litigation, including…||View Profile|
|Mr Valeriano Guevara Lynch||Managing Partner since 2015. Mr. Guevara Lynch has represented clients in a…||View Profile|
|Mr David Gurfinkel||Parnter. Head of the Dispute Resolution department. He has specialized in commercial…||View Profile|
|Florencia Heredia||Partner||View Profile|
|Fernando Martínez Zuviría||View Profile|
|Mr Jorge I Mayora||Partner since 2011. He is an expert on banking and financial law…||View Profile|
|Mr Carlos M Melhem||Partner. He advised various financinf opertations and buyouts in Argentina and Latin…||View Profile|
|Mr Pablo A Palazzi||Partner. Mr. Palazzi has provided clients advise on matters related to intellectual…||View Profile|
|Mr Marcos Patrón Costas||Partner. He regularly advises local and international clients, in a broad range of…||View Profile|
|Mr Julián Peña||Partner since 2006. He is the head of Antitrust Department.||View Profile|
|Mr Nicolas Procopio||Head of Tax Practice (Partner)||View Profile|
|Mrs Laura Santanatoglia||Partner. She advises insurance and reinsurance companies, brokers and other clients on…||View Profile|
|Mr Santiago Sturla||Partner. Mr. Sturla has represented clients in a broad range of matters…||View Profile|
|Mrs María Rosa Villegas Arévalo||She has been a partner of the firm since 1992 and specializes…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresPartners : 20 Total lawyers : 100
LanguagesEnglish French Portugese Espanol
OtherPartners : 20
- Bankruptcy and restructuring
- Competition and antitrust
- Public law
- Banking and finance
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity
- Intellectual property
- Labour and employment