Conyers > Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands > Firm Profile
SIX, 2ND FLOOR, CRICKET SQUARE
PO BOX 2681
GRAND CAYMAN, KY1-1111
Conyers > The Legal 500 RankingsConyers possess an extensive track record across the full spectrum of insurance work, which it handles for a broad client base comprising insurers, reinsurers, captive owners, insurance managers and insurance consultants. Most notably, the department, which is led by Derek Stenson , frequently handles major reinsurer establishments, mergers and migrations, as well as insurance-related M&A, regulatory advisory issues, insurance litigation and insurance-linked securities work. Other noteworthy advisers include counsel Rob Humphries and associate Philippa Gilkes , both of whom are well-versed in regulatory, commercial and transactional matters arising from the insurance and reinsurance sphere.
Athene Holding Ltd.
Global Atlantic Financial Group
Island Heritage Insurance Company, Ltd.
Randall & Quilter Investment Holdings Ltd.
Zurich North America
- Advised for Premia Holdings Ltd. on the establishment of Elevation Re (SPC) Ltd, a collateralised reinsurance sidecar structure capitalised with more than $265m by third-party investors.
- Advised Royal Bank of Canada Insurance Company Ltd. on its redomicile from Barbados to the Cayman Islands and licensing as a Class D insurer with the Cayman islands Monetary Authority.
- Advised CommonSpirit Health on the amalgamation of its insurance subsidiaries, All Saints Insurance Company, SPC, Ltd. and First Initiatives Insurance, Ltd by way of a court-approved scheme of arrangement.
Torchlight GP Limited
Sky Solar Holdings
Arnage Holdings Limited
Luckin Coffee Inc.
PAG Quantitative Strategies Trading Limited,
PAG Asia Alpha LP, PAG-P Asian Fund LP
- Acting for Arnage Holdings Limited, Brooklands Holdings Limited and East Farthings Holdings Limited in a multi-hundred million dollar claim against a law firm.
- Acted for Tailored Brands in a multi-billion dollar Chapter 11 restructuring.
- Acted for Changyou.com Limited in defending a section 238 minority shareholder appraisal action.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has strong interpersonal skills and is very approachable for clients. For private client work, this is important.’
‘I like the approachability of Wes O’Brien and Robert Lindley and they are always happy to accept calls and to offer informal advice.’
‘The practical element of the advice is the refreshing change to other firms we have used in the past in the Cayman Islands. Conyers have been able to quickly understand the facts and issue advice accordingly in an efficient manner and in line with agreed time horizons.’
‘Robert Lindley is very knowledgeable in Cayman trust matters, easy to work with either by senior company management or by more junior employees, all of which praise his advice and guidance. Similar to Robert, Wesley O’Brien is proactive in trying to provide practical guidance.’
‘Robert and Wes have worked on some of our more contentious situations, going beyond the usual legal advice into helping navigate some challenging family dynamics.’
‘Robert Lindley is very experienced and provides exceptional all-round advice. We have found he has come out with very creative solutions not just on legal advice, but also managing family disputes. Wes O’Brien is technically very strong.’
‘Robert Lindley is commercially minded and a sensible safe pair of hands.’
- Acting for the settlor/beneficiary of a Cayman Islands trust in relation to foreign divorce proceedings and potential attacks on the trust and its assets.
- Advising an insurance company on the establishment of a Cayman Islands trust to hold healthcare insurance policies for policyholders based in the LATAM region.
- Advising a Forbes-listed family on the establishment of private trust companies and Cayman Foundation Companies to act as trustee and protector of Bermuda law trusts which hold valuable assets.
‘Conyers has an amazing footprint with notable talent in each office. They really do deliver in all of their offices so you can be confident in the skills and the service in any Conyers office with which you work.’
‘Cora Miller owns a project when she takes it on. While practically focused, she still thinks about all aspects and risks and advises how best to mitigate risk.’
Stonegate Pub Company
Unico (formerly known as Acesso Digital)
Global Internet of People, Inc.
- Advised the underwriters of dLocal Limited’s initial public offering on the Nasdaq exchange.
- Advised Stonegate Pub Company on its Rule 144A and Regulation S offering of an aggregate amount of $1.57bn senior secured fixed rate notes due 2025.
- Advised Brazilian facial biometrics and digital admission company, Acesso Digital, on the Cayman Islands legal aspects of its $107.5m funding round led by General Atlantic and Softbank.
‘Very knowledgeable on the legal side but also find practical solutions for clients. Extremely responsive and quick to deliver.’
‘High level of trust and willingness to work together as a team. The quality of the work and speed of delivery are outstanding.’
Roivant Sciences Ltd
IFM Global Infrastructure Fund
DeepGreen Metals Inc.
Crescera and Vulcan Capital
- Advising Roivant Sciences Ltd. on Cayman Islands and Bermuda law aspects on its corporate restructuring and IPO via business combination with Montes Archimedes Acquisition Corp. (MAAC) to create publicly traded Biopharma and Health Technology company.
- Advised IFM Global Infrastructure fund on the Cayman Islands aspects of its proposed acquisition of a 22.7% stake in Naturgy, a Spanish multinational natural gas and electrical energy utilities company, valued at $6.13bn.
- Advised Chrysaor, the UK’s leading independent North Sea oil and gas group, on its merger with Premier Oil plc through a reverse takeover which included the reorganisation of Premier’s existing debt and cross-currency swaps.
‘They are exceptional regulatory lawyers. They are experts in Cayman legislation and were able to provide sound and practical advice to us.’
‘Conyers team, especially Derek Stenson, were always available and helped us accomplish our ambitious goals.’
‘We deal with Robert Lindley and his team at Conyers. He has been extremely helpful in dealing with the legalities of Economic Substance.’
‘They understand our perspective on issues and answer our questions clearly and concisely.’
The Jamaica National Group Limited
- Advised the Jamaica National Group’s JN Cayman on its conversion from a building society to a regulated Class A Bank in the Cayman Islands, pursuant to the Cayman Islands Building Societies Act and the Banks and Trust Companies Act (2021 Revision).
Other key lawyers:
‘Knowledge of and practice in multiple jurisdictions, rapid and comprehensive responses.’
‘Robert Lindley is extremely knowledgeable, thorough, flexible, and very responsive.’
‘Conyers is one of the pre-eminent law firms in the offshore sector. It is particularly strong in the contentious field, including trust and private client litigation, with significant cross-border contacts and capabilities.’
‘The disputes team has extensive trust knowledge and ability, with practitioners based on the island and with familiarity with the local courts and judges. There is a range of experience that works well in resourcing complex matters.’
‘My experience of Conyers is on the contentious side. Conyers offers real strength and expertise across all levels of seniority. They can field a truly impressive team to deal with the most demanding of (usually international) trust disputes. One of the top players in the BVI market.’
Wilton Fiduciaries IOM Ltd.
- Acting for R&S Trust to set aside a trust and other relief in respect of significant corporate affairs structured in Ukraine.
- Acting for a UHNW family to establish a BVI trust structure to hold a complex underlying corporate structure.
- Providing ongoing advice to a Bermuda-based insurance company on the establishment of a BVI Master trust to hold employee pension funds.
Conyers > Firm Profile
Founded in 1928, Conyers is an international law firm with a broad client base including FTSE 100 and Fortune 500 companies, international finance houses and asset managers. The firm advises on Bermuda, British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands laws, from offices in those jurisdictions and in the key financial centres of London, Hong Kong and Singapore.
The firm’s expertise includes corporate law and finance including investment funds and private equity, equity and debt capital markets, M&A, banking and finance (conventional and Islamic), asset finance including shipping and aircraft finance, restructuring and workouts, the formation of entities including companies and partnerships, corporate governance and insurance and reinsurance.
Main Areas of Practice:
Insurance & Reinsurance:
The firm’s lawyers act for the majority of Bermuda’s insurance and reinsurance companies and are heavily involved in the formation and structuring of new Bermuda insurance companies. They are also integrally involved in the burgeoning Cayman Islands insurance industry, which boasts the second largest domiciliation rate for captives after Bermuda. In addition, they provide insurance advice in the British Virgin Islands, which continues to grow as it shifts in focus to more varied and sophisticated segments of the insurance market. Conyers’ insurance practice is complemented by experienced corporate, trust and litigation lawyers, and its litigators regularly provide expert advice in substantial insurance and reinsurance litigation.
The funds team provides advice on fund structures (including Shari’a-compliant funds) and asset classes including hedge funds, private equity funds and property and infrastructure funds. The team advises asset managers and investors on fund formation and structuring (including constitutional and contractual documentation) and assists with incorporation, registered office and secretarial services, regulation and compliance, as well as restructuring, liquidation, insolvency and winding up of funds.
M&A & Joint Venture:
Conyers’ M&A and joint venture practice group advises on significant offshore transactions and financing matters. Conyers is the market leader for offshore IPOs, advising clients listing on all major exchanges. Lawyers provide specialist advice on all stages of the listing process from pre-IPO restructuring, formation of the listing vehicle and listing day.
Air Finance & Shipping:
The firm’s lawyers are at the forefront of offshore airfinance and shipping, representing airlines, leasing companies, shipowners, credit agencies and export-import banks and lenders on cross-border transactions.
Litigation & Restructuring:
Conyers’ litigators appear in leading decisions before the courts and in global, multi-billion dollar disputes. Insolvency and restructuring experience includes corporate bankruptcy, reorganisations and liquidations.
Private Client: Specialising in contentious and non-contentious work, the private client team’s experience includes creation and reorganisation of trusts and corporate structures for preservation of client capital and succession planning of ownership structures for family businesses. Trust litigators support the team in substantial trust litigation, acting for trustees, protectors and beneficiaries.
Conyers also provides a wide range of corporate administration, secretarial, trust, compliance, governance and company management services, and works in partnership with international clients, financial institutions, investment funds, high net worth individuals and others.
LanguagesEnglish (fluent) Portuguese French Spanish Italian
MembershipsINSOL - International Association of Restructuring
British Virgin Islands: Aviation Finance & Leasing
Published: July 2021
Authors: Audrey M. Robertson
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Aviation Finance & Leasing laws and regulations that may occur in British Virgin Islands.
British Virgin Islands: Banking & Finance
Published: February 2022
Authors: Audrey M. Robertson
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Banking & Finance laws and regulations that may occur in British Virgin Islands.
British Virgin Islands: International Arbitration
Published: October 2021
Authors: Mark J. Forte Jane Fedotova
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to International Arbitration laws and regulations that may occur in British Virgin Islands.
British Virgin Islands: Litigation
Published: June 2022
Authors: Tameka Davis
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Litigation laws and regulations that may occur in British Virgin Islands.