Miranda & Amado > Lima, Peru > Firm Profile
Miranda & Amado Offices
AV JOSÉ LARCO 1301
TORRE PARQUE MAR
MIRAFLORES, LIMA 18
Miranda & Amado > The Legal 500 Rankings
Peru > Banking and finance Tier 1The 15-strong banking and finance team at Miranda & Amado is now led by young partner Gabriela Dañino, who has a strong track record in project finance and fintech matters, and handles both cross-border finance and capital markets transactions. The practice acts for a strong roster of international banks, multilateral lenders and other financial institutions, as well as major domestic players, and also frequently acts as local counsel for large international law firms on cross-border deals. Its broad range of expertise includes structured and project finance, loans, banking-sector M&A, and regulatory matters. Senior partner Juan Luis Avendaño Cisneros has over 20 years’ experience in the industry and handles a broad range of high-profile transactional matters; Rafael Corzo, in turn, is the name to note for regulatory work. José Miguel Puiggros brings experience in acquisition, corporate and project finance, while the January-2022 promotion of Álvaro Del Valle – who works with borrowers and lenders and also has particular experience advising investment funds – brings the team’s partner-count to five. Key associate Lisbeth Benavides undertakes financings and project finance as part of a wider practice that also takes in corporate and bankruptcy law.
‘The work of the Miranda & Amado team confirms its position as one of the best firms for financing in the Peruvian market’.
‘They have a highly qualified team where the most senior lawyers have international experience from prestigious firms’.
‘Gabriela Dañino has experience of the technical aspects of financial regulation and has a great negotiating capacity in financing contracts’.
‘Miranda y Amado has a spectacular, dedicated, proactive team’.
‘They provide introductions to industry proffesionals in country to help you grow your business’.
‘They have a constructive attitude and a lot of experience’.
‘Gabriela Dañino is extraordinary, has a lot of experience, attention to detail, and is capable of generating solutions’.
‘Associates have partner level knowledge, skills and gravitis’.
Bank of America
BBVA / Banco BBVA Perú
Grupo Crédito, Banco de Crédito, CredicorpCapital
Bank of Nova Scotia, Scotiabank
IFC, IBD, CAF, DEF, KFW, PROPARCO, DFC, CIFI
Intercorp / Interbank
- Acted as local counsel to several banks, with MUFG acting as the administrative agent, in a $1bn syndicated loan to Compañía Minera Antamina.
- Advised Banco Santander, Citigroup, Bank of Nova Scotia et al in connection with a $400m syndicated credit facility extended to Volcan Compañía Minera.
- Advised Banco de Crédito del Perú and the local branch of Scotiabank on a PEN860m ($211m) financing to cement producer Cementos Pacasmayo.
Peru > Capital markets Tier 1The capital markets team at Miranda & Amado is no stranger to international equity and debt offerings and has considerable experience in Rule144A/Reg.S transactions. It acts for a range of large international banks and financial institutions, and alongside large international law firms. The team is now led by Gabriela Dañino, who is well known in the market for his cross-border deals expertise; she also provides advice on project finance and fintech matters. Juan Luis Avendaño has over 20 years’ experience in the sector and a renowned figure with extensive knowledge as regards high-value transactions. also an experienced figure José Miguel Puiggros handles a range of domestic and international transactions; while Álvaro Del Valle, who was promoted to the partnership in January 2022, is active across the financing and capital markets sectors, including fund-related work.
‘They are a very serious firm and they care a lot about having the issues ready and very well detailed, as well as anticipating the client with issues that could impact the transaction’.
‘They are very detailed and organised’.
Bank of America
Banco de la Nación
Grupo Crédito (Credicorp Capital, BCP et al)
(Peru’s largest financial conglomerate)
Grupo Romero (Primax, Alicorp et al)
- Advised BBVA Securities, BofA Securities, Banco BTG Pactual (Cayman branch), Credicorp Capital Sociedad Agente de Bolsa, Itau BBA USA Securities and Santander Investment Securities, as initial purchasers on the issuance of $550m in 5.500% senior notes (due 2026) of Compañía de Minas Buenaventura under Rule 144A/Reg.S of the Securities Act of 1933 of the United States of America.
- Advising Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank Securities, J.P. Morgan and Scotiabank as global co-ordinators and joint bookrunners in the $375m international debt offering by ATP Tower Holdings, Andean Tower Partners Colombia, Andean Telecom Partners Peru and Andean Telecom Partners Chile.
- Advising Credicorp Capital and Interbank, as structuring agents, on the issue by Peruvian education group Innova Schools of social bonds worth P$61m ($15m), which it used to redeem existing debt.
Peru > Competition and antitrust Tier 1With strong support from its compliance practice, Miranda & Amado is well known in the market for handling high-profile antitrust and unfair competition cases, as well as associated contentious matters, including litigation and the representation of clients before INDECOPI. Experienced senior figure Enrique Felices heads the team and leads on many of the firms’ top cases; indeed, despite the novelty of 2021’s Law N° 31112, he has particular know-how as regards merger-control filings as a result of his former roles as Chief of Advisors to the Peruvian Prime Minister and Special Presidential Envoy to the OECD. Raised to the partnership in January 2022, Fiorella Zumaeta is recommended for work pertaining to free competition, merger control and the elimination of bureaucratic barriers, along with regulatory matters. At associate level, the team has recently seen various changes, including the arrivals of Samuel Yábar and Jorge Contreras, who joined from Diez Canseco Abogados and INDECOPI in November 2021 and March 2022, respectively; and the departure of former senior associate Omar Alvarado for Diez Canseco Abogados in February 2022.
‘Strong knowledge of our business.’
‘They are true extensions of our in-house legal department.’
DiDi Mobility Information Technology
Telefónica del Perú
Procesos de Medios de Pago
Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha
- Representing Repsol in four cases involving the investigation of price-fixing practices in the fuels market (ie: liquefied petroleum gas and natural gas), at national and regional levels, before INDECOPI.
- Represented Telefónica in a sanctioning procedure before OSIPTEL for the alleged abuse of its dominant position; the case was initiated by Entel del Perú, one of Telefónica’s main competitors in the mobile market, which questioned the company’s strategy involving 4-play bundles.
- Advising Clorox in connection with all the consumer and unfair competition matters related to the recall process of cleaning product Poett; the largest recall in Peru’s history, it took place with the added complexity of being carried out in the context of the global Covid-19 pandemic.
Peru > Corporate and M&A Tier 1The corporate M&A team at Miranda & Amado continues to be highly active on a range of significant local, cross-border and regional transactions, working both as lead counsel, and in tandem with large global law firms. The practice group’s broad expertise encompasses joint ventures, corporate finance, reorganisations and the creation of new corporate structures along with transactional matters, and can also call on the firm’s strong banking, tax and disputes teams, among others. Roberto MacLean heads the group and brings corporate, finance and capital markets expertise to the fore, while Luis Miranda is recommended for sizeable international M&A transactions. Bruno Amiel and Nathalie Paredes also both lead on deals, with Amiel offering commercial, corporate and civil law expertise, and Paredes handling corporate and private equity deals in the real estate sector. A strong second line consists of corporate and M&A transaction-focused counsels, María Pía Talavera and Katherine Torres (both were promoted in January 2022); and senior associates Mariano Peró and Javier García, whose practices are centred on M&A, business reorganisations and corporate matters.
‘The legal services provided by Miranda & Amado favorably meet expectations, identifying the client’s needs, and carrying out effective legal proposals and solutions of high professional quality‘.
‘The lawyers of the Miranda law firm always provide legal solutions that cover all the legal or business aspects involved in the matter in charge, with clear legal knowledge of the issues and with a permanent disposition to attend to the client’s requests‘.
‘They provide introductions to industry proffesionals in-country to help you grow your business‘.
‘They provide legal and industry trends and analysis‘.
‘They look for value-added ways to run your bsuiness more efficiently with everything from tax advice to capital raising‘.
‘More female representation than other firms‘.
‘Associates have partner-level knowledge, skills and gravitis‘.
‘Partners give time and attention to clients that you would expect from an associate‘.
Primax, Ransa and Alicorp (Grupo Romero companies)
TGP (Transportadora de Gas del Perú)
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
TC Latin American Partners
Paladin Realty Partners
- Acted as counsel to Brazilian infrastructure investor IG4 Capital on launching a $58m tender offer on the Lima Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange in order to acquire a significant stake in Peruvian infrastructure company Aenza (formerly Graña y Montero).
- Currently advising Engie on the internal reorganisation and subsequent sale of Engie Services Peru, as part of an international transaction for the sale of Engie Services Global (Equans) to Bouygues Group.
- Advised Lumen Technologies on the sale of its business in Peru to Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners, as part of the Latin American acquisition of said business for the total sum of $2.7bn.
Peru > Dispute resolution Tier 1Offering ‘excellent lawyers, service and responsiveness’, Miranda & Amado‘s broad litigation and arbitration practice encompasses expertise in administrative, constitutional, civil and commercial disputes, as well as white-collar crime, along with commercial arbitration (both domestic and international); the team also has considerable experience in the construction arbitration niche. Mauricio Raffo heads the practice with 25 years’ experience – particularly in regulatory disputes; while junior partner Cristina Ferraro brings expertise in investment and commercial arbitration, as well disputes involving state or state-owned entities. Giovanni Priori is a prominent litigator and leads on high-profile judicial disputes, and José Daniel Amado has considerable experience in major international arbitrations; Santiago Carrillo handles both litigation and arbitration including the team’s work with Telefonica and Lima Expresa; as is senior associate Carlos Glave, who is experienced in civil, constitutional and administrative proceedings. The firm saw a number of promotions to the partnership at the start of 2022, including José Luis Velarde (litigation, criminal law and criminal procedural matters), Luis Alonso Navarro (commercial and investment arbitration), and Rafael Díaz (criminal case strategy; compliance and anti-bribery matters) who co-heads the white-collar crime practice. Since publication, Glave has returned to the firm as a partner after spending time as an international associate at Chaffetz Lindsey LLP in New York - effective as of January 2023.
‘They are always attentive to the queries that we make‘.
‘Everyone is very attentive and very professional‘.
‘The team is agile, young and very effective‘.
‘Rafael Diaz offers closeness to the business, empathy with the client, effectiveness when carrying out the processes, willingness to agree on adequate fees and good speed of responses‘.
‘Very solid team that complements and combines deep academic knowledge and knowledge in practice‘.
‘In dispute resolution, I would mention Mauricio Raffo, who is very skilled in arbitration and judicial processes and always seeks to understand the real problem of the client‘.
‘Giovani Priori has deep legal knowledge‘.
‘Excellent lawyers, service, responsiveness and a broad offering’.
Autopista del Norte
Banco de la Nación
APM Terminals Callao
Unna Transporte (formerly CONCAR)
Cumbra Perú (formerly GyM)
Telefónica del Perú
Gas Natural de Lima y Callao (Cálidda)
Minera las Bambas
Petróleos del Perú (Petroperu)
Tiendas por Departamento Ripley
Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú
- Advising Autopista del Norte on an ICSID arbitration proceeding against the Republic of Peru regarding delays to the construction of a major highway in northern Peru; value: more than $150m.
- Advising Vinci Group company Lima Expresa on an international arbitration (seated in Paris) against the Municipalidad Metropolitana de Lima, regarding the validity of a concession contract and the breach of such contract in a dispute valued at more than $120m.
- Advising Telefónica del Perú on 10 complex cases that are part of a sophisticated strategy aimed at reversing five unconstitutional rulings issued by the Supreme Court of Justice and ordering the Tax Court to comply with its duty to rule on administrative proceedings concerning all claims raised by the company against the imposition of taxes and fines by the National Superintendence of Tax Administration (SUNAT).
Energy and natural resources > Electricity Tier 1Miranda & Amado is a one-stop-shop for clients in the electricity industry and offers expertise in M&A and finance, along with regulatory and contentious matters. The practice covers all segments of the market, including generation, transmission, and distribution, and also acts for non-regulated clients. The team, which is led by the deeply experienced and hands-on Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis, has recently been involved in discussions around regulatory changes to the country’s tariff regime in the natural gas market, which will have a substantial impact on electricity generation projects. De-Bernardis has over 25 years’ experience in infrastructure, energy and natural resources projects, while counsel Marife Martinelli specialises in regulatory and administrative law across the power and oil-and-gas sectors. Senior associate Pedro Morales is recommended for regulatory and project development matters; and associate César Ramírez is an additional name to note.
Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis
‘I believe that the lawyers in the specialty have important knowledge regarding the logic and operation of the electricity market, which generates greater confidence when receiving the advice and support that we require as clients‘.
‘Between the members of the regulatory/energy team and those of dispute resolution (arbitration) they make an excellent complement to address our issues with various edges‘.
Minera Chinalco Peru
Petroperu (Proyecto de Modernización de la Refineria Talara)
IC Power / Kallpa Generacion / Cerro del Aguila / Samay / Orazul Energy
Engie Energia Peru
Enel Generación / Enel Distribución
Atlántica Yield / Aby Concession Perú / ATN / Aby Transmisión Sur/ ATN2)
ISA Rep – Red de Energía del Peru
Inka Gold Farm
- Advising Petroperu in relation to the development of the electricity assets (a thermoelectric plant of 100MW, transmission lines and electricity substations) and energy supply (by means of PPAs and O&M Contracts) for the Talara Refinery modernisation project, which will permit an increase in the production of liquid fuels.
- Advising Engie, Kallpa, ABY Concessions and PDI, along with other important generation and transmission companies, on the main controversies triggered during 2021 – including controversies before COES and OSINERGMIN related to tariff issues, application of discounts, and enforcement of PPA provisions and transmission tolls.
- Advising Engie Energía Perú on all regulatory aspects related to the electricity legal framework, including the main controversies in the sector and the evaluation of new business and the development of renewable energy resources’ projects, including Project Punta Lomitas (260MW).
Energy and natural resources > Hydrocarbons Tier 1The team at Miranda & Amado is ‘very reliable and experienced' and demonstrates 'expertise in M&A, and deep knowledge of Peruvian law and the hydrocarbon industry'. Well known in the market for advising on high-profile and high-value oil-and gas-projects for large international and domestic energy companies, the practice has notable strength in M&A and transactional mandates, regulatory issues, financing, environmental matters and dispute resolution. Practice co-head Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis is recommended for transactional and development work in the infrastructure, energy and natural resources sectors, while fellow co-head Alberto Delgado handles corporate and commercial matters. Guillermo Bracamonte is another active partner in the practice; he focuses on contractual and regulatory matters. Counsel Marifé Martinelli, whose previous experience includes three years at OSINERGMIN; and deeply experienced senior associate Pedro Antonio Morales, are additional names to note.
Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis; Alberto Delgado
‘The team is very reliable and experienced, and they are creative when dealing with billing and cost sharing‘.
‘Alberto Delgado is the firm’s partner and our contact person with the firm; he is very reliable and has very good business sense‘.
‘Expertise in M&A, and deep knowledge of Peruvian law and the hydrocarbon industry‘.
‘Attention to detail and personalised service‘.
Petróleos del Perú (Petroperú)
Transportadora de Gas del Perú (TGP)
BPZ Exploración y Producción (a subsidiaryof Grupo Alfa)
Gas Natural de Lima y Callao (Cálidda)
Refinería La Pampilla (Repsol)
Korea National Oil Company
- Assisting Petroperú in all legal matters relating to the development and financing of the Talara crude oil refinery project for the modernisation and expansion of the refinery.
- Assisting Transportadora de Gas del Perú (TGP) with various gas regulatory, corporate and environmental matters related to its operations.
- Advised BPZ on regulatory, environmental and land management matters required for the development of its blocks both inland and offshore in the north of Peru.
Peru > Environment Tier 1Miranda & Amado fields ‘a solid team with good assertive communication skills’ that handles the full array of environmental work. Its broad offering encompasses M&A due diligence, financing transactions and litigation, and the team has particular experience of water rights issues in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors. Another key area of focus is administrative sanctioning proceedings in relation to compliance with environmental rules. Alberto Delgado heads the team and acts for a roster of high-profile mining, and oil and gas companies on a broad range of corporate, commercial and environmental issues. Associate Alberto Ventura is another key practitioner; he handles administrative matters, including the obtaining licenses, authorisations and environmental permits from various agencies.
‘I consider that the Lawyers of Miranda & Amado Abogados are knowledgeable about environmental legislation and its legal application to the treatment of the problems of this sector‘.
‘Professionals willing to listen to the details of the cases to propose adequate alternative solutions‘.
‘In general, they are friendly people, collaborators and good with clients, they have the advantage of having a multidisciplinary team that facilitates interaction with other disciplines‘.
‘In general, a good level of knowledge and recognised experience, in addition to the availability to provide timely services to customers‘.
‘A solid team with good assertive communication skills, although they are a young team, they show solid experience in the environmental field‘.
‘I highlight the empathy of the team of lawyers and the professionalism they show in the development of their work; this simplifies communication between the technical branch of the company and the firm’s legal team‘.
Engie Energía Perú (GDF Suez Group)
Repsol Exploración Perú, Sucursal del Perú
Gestión de Servicios Ambientales (DISAL)
Refinería La Pampilla
Transportadora de Gas del Perú
Great Panther Coricancha
Operadora Ecológica del Titicaca
Complejo Agroindustral Beta
Corporación Aceros Arequipa
Minera Las Bambas
- Regularly advising Engie Energía Perú on environmental management instruments and permits, along with water rights matters related to its water supply systems, discharge of liquid effluents, and obtaining and managing other environmental governmental approvals.
- Advised Great Panther on due diligence regarding all environmental and regulatory matters in connection with the execution of a mining option agreement to acquire a 100% interest in Coricancha Mining Project.
- Retained by Minera Las Bambas for a comprehensive analysis of the main applicable water permits for the operational stage of its copper mine Las Bambas in order to accomplish the start-up of mining production activities taking into consideration the acquired obligations of the company under the mining permits and authorisations already obtained before the Ministry of Energy and Mines.
Peru > Projects and infrastructure Tier 1Miranda & Amado’s projects team is active in a range of areas, with a special focus on the energy, mining and infrastructure segments. The multidisciplinary practice draws on strength from finance, tax, regulatory, environment, real estate and dispute resolution practitioners to provide a holistic service to clients. Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis, who possesses over 25 years’ experience in project finance and development work, jointly manages the group with mining, and oil and gas specialist Alberto Delgado. Finance expert José Miguel Puiggros stands out for his impressive track record in project-related capital markets transactions, while Isabel Lira marries wide-ranging expertise in infrastructure projects, concessions and PPPs with in-depth knowledge of antitrust law. At the associate level, Andrés Arbe is a name to note for licensing and permitting matters, Cynthia Rebaza focuses on the mining sector, Alberto Ventura handles environmental issues, and César Ramírez deals with regulatory matters and administrative law. Since publication, Venutra has been raised to the partnership - effective as of January 2023.
Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis; Alberto Delgado V.
Petróleos del Perú – Petroperú
Minera Chinalco Peru
Quanta Services Perú
Transportadora de Gas del Perú
Autopista del Norte
- Advising PETROPERÚ on the development of a project for the modernisation and expansion of the Talara crude oil refinery.
- Advising Minera Chinalco Peru (subsidiary of Chinalco) on various aspects related to the operation of the Toromocho Mining Unit (and its expansion). mining projects in Peru.
- Providing ENGIE with comprehensive advice on regulatory and contractual matters, litigation, administrative procedures, and permitting, among other things, in connection with the client’s projects in Peru.
Peru > Real estate Tier 1The real estate team at Miranda & Amado ‘knows the market, anticipates problems and is always available to find the best solutions’. It has a wealth of experience in the design of corporate, contractual and tax structures that add value to real estate investment projects for both foreign and domestic clients. From acquisitions and dispositions, to permitting and licensing, the team has a broad range of expertise which it utilises for both residential and commercial projects. With over 20 years’ experience, Claudia Lucena heads the practice; she has particular expertise in projects in the natural resource exploitation sector, and handles both contentious and non-contentious issues. At associate level, Yelitza Valdivia and Daniel Corzo are key practitioners, with Valdivia recommended for permitting and sanitation issues, and Corzo handling transactional matters. Other key associates include Jessica Huamaní, a name for urban development mandates/ and Luis Francisco Paz, who is recommended for contractual and civil matters, as well as litigation.
‘Good knowledge of the subject‘.
‘Claudia Lucena is an outstanding partner‘.
‘They differentiate themselves by being agile, but at the same time meticulous in the details and in their ability to provide solutions to the client when faced with different scenarios‘.
‘Specifically, I have worked with Daniel Corzo, who was key to being able to successfully achieve the purchase operation‘.
‘As a real estate developer I have known the work of several firms, and without a doubt I can say that none of them has a real estate practice as solid as Miranda & Amado‘.
‘The real estate team knows the market, anticipates problems and is always available to find the best solutions‘.
‘Claudia Lucena’s experience and legal and market knowledge, added to the confidence she projects, distinguish her from any competitor and make her a key player in decision-making‘.
‘Yelitza Valdivia is a very prominent associate with great knowledge of urban issues‘.
TC Latin America Partners
Paladin Realty Partners
Morgan Río Capital Management
Telefónica del Perú
EOM Inversiones (Grupo Esparq)
Administradora Jockey Plaza
Tiendas por Departamento Ripley
H&M Hennes & Mauritz
Eco Plaza YesArte Express & Compañía
- Advising TC Latin America Partners on real estate matters related to the execution of housing and commercial projects in and outside Lima, including the preparation ofcontractual and financial structures, negotiation of contracts, licences and permits, andcertain large commercial and housing projects in Arequipa.
- Advising EOM on an important project in Cusco, the most touristic city inthe country, covering up to 12,000 square meters, which required the creation of a trust and the renegotiation of contracts for financial purposes.
- Advising Telefónica on the sale of several real estate assets that involve important buildings of the company. The advice includes the initial due diligence, technical legal regularisation and the sale process.
Peru > Bankruptcy and restructuring Tier 2Drawing on its banking and finance practitioners for support, the insolvency and restructuring team at Miranda & Amado caters mainly to creditor clients but is also well versed in acting for debtors. Its multidisciplinary team has considerable experience in regulated industries, such as financial services, oil and gas, transport and mining. The team is jointly led by Renzo Agurto ('a brilliant professional in insolvency and restructuring') and Rafael Corzo; with Agurto recommended for restructuring and winding-up transactions; and Corzo focusing on regulatory banking and insurance matters. Senior associate Lisbeth Benavides is particularly experienced in insolvencies, regularly handling cases with cross-border aspects.
Renzo Agurto; Rafael Corzo
‘I have had to work on various projects with Miranda Amado’s insolvency team and I have been very surprised by their professional capacity; with business vision and the ability to provide intelligent solutions to complex problems‘.
‘Without a doubt, Renzo Agurto stands out, a brilliant professional in insolvency and restructuring.’
‘I consider that the lawyers of this team are very good professionals and I have personally known the head of the team for more than 20 years.’
‘The important thing about this team is that it is always ahead of the facts, since they analyse everything from different perspectives and that means that the solutions are embodied in several alternatives in case any of them get stuck.’
‘Compared to other firms, I feel very comfortable when I work with this team because they give me a lot of confidence.’
‘Renzo Agurto is a lawyer who is always very well informed and is very creative when it comes to solving company problems.’
‘Renzo Agurto always finds important and practical solutions.‘
‘Renzo Agurto differentiates himself from others by his professionalism and dedication to solving the client’s issues.‘
New Century Films
Administradora de Servicios de Seguridad
Talma Servicios Aeroportuarios
Aguaytía Energy del Perú
Castlelake / Aircraft Solutions Lux XI / Wells Fargo Trust Company, National Association
Ulma Encofrados Perú
- Advising New Century Films, a film distribution company representing Warner Bros Distributing, in relation to debts amounting to P$13m (around $3.2m).
- Providing advice to Administradora on its capacity as managing entity of Sirius Seguridad Privada Sierra Central, a company involved in a reorganisation under Peruvian insolvency law and with outstanding liabilities amounting to $2.2m.
- Advising Talma Servicios Aeroportuarios on the design and execution of its strategic approach as a creditor of Peruvian Air Lines, which entered into a state of default that resulted in an insolvency proceeding before INDECOPI.
Peru > Compliance Tier 2Miranda & Amado handles the full gamut of compliance work, including anti-corruption, antitrust matters and corporate compliance issues. It has considerable experience in the design and implementation of compliance strategies, and has the capability to handle corporate crime matters, including internal investigations. Bruno Amiel heads the team with a focus on corporate compliance and ancillary expertise in project finance and dispute resolution, while Enrique Felices is the name to note for competition matters; he leads on several compliance cases. Following their January 2021 arrival from boutique Facto Litigios & Compliance (where they were founding partners) criminal liability specialists José Luis Velarde and Rafael Díaz were raised to the partnership at he beginning of 2022, further consolidating what is now a 15-strong practice group in this area. Public law specialist Willy Pedreschi; competition and administrative law focused Fiorella Zumaeta (also raised to the partnership in January 2022) and new counsel, Katherine Torres (a corporate expert who works closely with Amiel), are also all involved in the practice.
Talma Servicios Aeroportuarios
Aeropuertos del Peru
DiDi Mobility Information Technology
Telefónica del Perú
Procesos de Medios de Pago
Amazon Web Services
United Heath Group (UHG)
- Representing Repsol in four cases involving the investigation of price-fixing practices in the fuels market (ie: liquefied petroleum gas and natural gas) at a national and regional level before INDECOPI.
- Advising DiDi Mobility Information Technology on all its competition and consumer protection matters.
- Advising Telefónica del Peru on the identification of regulatory risks in telecommunications and competition matters, in order to design a plan to adapt its policies to current regulations and possible regulatory initiatives.
Energy and natural resources > Mining Tier 2Miranda & Amado’s mining team is ‘attentive to details, has very good English language skills, and is practical and good at explaining complex legal issues’. Sitting within the firm’s wider projects practice, the team advises clients on land management issues, environmental matters, community relations, water rights and zoning issues, as well high-profile M&A and financing work. Head of practice Alberto Delgado has over 24 years’ experience in mining law and is well versed in corporate and commercial matters. Fellow partner Guillermo Bracamonte is a key practitioner who has considerable experience in high-profile mining transactions and environmental and regulatory proceedings. At associate level, Cynthia Rebaza handles investment advisory for both local and foreign companies regarding Peruvian mining projects. However, former associate David Baracco moved to Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas in April 2022.
Alberto Delgado V
‘W get partner-level attention and are made to feel as if we are a large client‘.
‘Attentive to details, very good English, practical and good at explaining complex legal issues‘.
‘Alberto Delgado and Guillermo Bracamonte provide an excellent service; they are very professional but friendly at the same time. It makes us very comfortable to work with them‘.
‘One of the best known firms in Peru‘.
‘Probably the best in the energy and mining sectors‘.
‘Guillermo Bracamonte has excellent international expertise‘.
Minera Chinalco Perú (subsidiary of Chinalco)
Great Panther Silver
Red Citadel Resources
MCQ Copper LTD (Mitsubishi Corporation)
Apurimac Ferrum (Strike Resources subsidiary)
Mitsubishi Materials Corporation
Compañía Minera Antapaccay – Glencore
Minera Las Bambas (MMG)
Silver Mountain Resources
Empress Royalty Corp
Bank of America Corporation
Banco Santander Perú
- Advising Minera Chinalco Peru on an important mining project in Peru.
- Advising Great Panther on legal matters relating to the development of its mining activities.
- Advising Apurimac Ferrum on compliance with mining and environmental regulations and the analysis of new projects and investment opportunities.
Peru > Insurance Tier 2The insurance and reinsurance practice at Miranda & Amado is very active in the domestic market and acts for Peru’s leading insurance companies on a range of matters, from structuring insurance products and regulatory issues, to disputes and corporate transactions. On the corporate and finance side, the firm takes a multidisciplinary approach, drawing on strengths of practitioners in other departments to provide a holistic approach to insurance mandates. Rafael Corzo heads the team and complements his insurance practice with banking expertise, which makes him particularly strong on bancassurance matters. Counsel Eduardo Wiese handles insurance-related regulatory and transactional matters, as well as insolvency proceedings. Associate Pablo Cassinelli is another name to note for regulatory and contractual matters.
‘The team provides excellent advice on matters of its competence, which is timely and efficient‘.
‘Coordination with the client is fluid and close‘.
‘The service is of a very high quality‘.
‘Legal opinions are precise, accurate and timely‘.
‘The firm’s lawyers stand out for their great competence and professional experience and for their professional ethics‘.
‘In my opinion, the team stands out for clearly explaining all the stages of the processes that must be carried out to resolve conflicts, which provides a lot of confidence because you are clear about the status of the matters entrusted to them‘.
‘Rafael Corzo has extensive knowledge on the subject of insurance and bonds, in my opinion there are not many lawyers who dominate this type of subject, additionally he makes sure to successfully conclude the matters that are requested of him, also, his response time is very good‘.
‘Depth in analysis and research to support their opinions‘.
Peruvian Association of InsuranceCompanies (APESEG)
Banco Ripley Perú
Fondo de Seguro de Depósito del Perú
Pacífico Compañía de Seguros y Reaseguros
AVLA Perú Compañía de Seguros
La Positiva Seguros y Reaseguros
Intercorp Financial Services and Interseguro Compañía de Seguros
Citizens Inc./ McDermott Will & Emery UK
Gas Natural de Lima y Callao
- Providing monthly, regular and permanent advice regarding insurance and corporate regulations to Rimac Seguros and its affiliate companies; the team also works together with the client’s insurance department in relation to the coverage of major and relevant vehicle accidents due to their reputational and media impact.
- Providing monthly, regular and permanent advice regarding insurance, tax and corporate regulations to AVLA Perú Compañía de Seguros, including advice regarding insurance, technical provisions in relation to the issuance of letters of credit, provisions in relation to the deterioration of premium payments, and advice on its relationship with the Banking, Insurance and Pension Funds Superintendency.
- Acting for Banco Ripley Perú, providing regular monthly legal advice regarding insurance and tax matters, ranging from structuring insurance products and other regulatory matters, to the revision of bancassurance agreements entered into by Banco Ripley Perú with different insurance companies that operate in Peru.
Peru > Public law and regulation Tier 2The public law practice at Miranda & Amado draws on experts in energy and natural resources, infrastructure, regulation, competition and dispute resolution to provide a holistic approach to clients in highly regulated industries, including high-profile companies in the pharmaceutical and telecoms sectors. It is particularly well versed in handling public law and regulatory matters relating for large M&A deals, finance transactions and energy and infrastructure projects. Practice head Willy Pedreschi acts for public and private entities on administrative and regulatory law, and has noteworthy experience of the health, education, food and beverage, and construction sectors. Enrique Felices is a name to note for competition matters; while counsel Marifé Martinelli, in turn, is recommended for administrative law issues in the energy and water sectors. At associate level, Fabiana Vittoria (regulatory and administrative law, telecoms, media and regulated industries) and Joao Arbildo (administrative law; infrastructure, public procurement and regulated industries; arbitration) are key names; however, former senior Omar Alvarado left for Diez Canseco Abogados in February 2022.
‘Detailed analysis of cases‘.
‘Commitment to deliver quality work and personalised management in each consultation makes Miranda & Amado the best choice‘.
‘Willy Pedreschi provides a quality, effective and efficient service‘.
‘Willy Pedreschi clearly understands the needs of the business‘.
‘Willy Pedreschi always anticipates events that may have an impact on our business and provides direct and precise attention on how to face legal challenges‘.
‘Willy Pedreschi and his team can explain the different technical queries in an easy way and always offer a solution‘.
‘Joao Arbildo is always attentive to respond quickly and accurately to the queries that are made to him‘.
‘Our business can easily apply the suggestions they provide‘.
Enel Distribución Perú
APM Terminals Callao
Obrascón Huarte Lain
SGS del Perú
Amazon Web Services
- Assisting Estudios Técnicos on complex legal matters related to the execution of the contract signed with OSINERGMIN in 2017, relating to the administration and preventive maintenance of the goods of the Gasoducto Sur Peruano project.
- Providing legal advice to Kallpa Generacion on several administrative legal aspects related to the company’s intervention in public investment projects under municipal administration and in public procurement bids for the provision of energy services to public entities.
- Advised APM Terminals Callao on the tariff revision procedure (Review of the Productivity Factor), intended to set the maximum rates applicable to the regulated services rendered in the multi-purpose North Terminal of the Callao Port for the period between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2026.
Peru > TMT (Technology, media and telecoms) Tier 2Miranda & Amado has a strong focus on telecoms and data protection work and acts for large international businesses as well as smaller domestic companies. Sitting within the firm’s wider regulatory and administrative law department, the practice draws on strength from competition, consumer protection, tax, dispute resolution, labour and corporate experts to provide a holistic service to TMT clients. As well as handling day-to-day advice, regulatory issues and compliance, the team represents clients in administrative proceedings before regulators and is no stranger to litigation. Enrique Felices and Willy Pedreschi jointly lead the team, with Felices specialising in data privacy matters and Pedreschi focusing on regulatory and administrative law. At the associate level, senior Fabiana Vittoria is the key name for telecoms work; fellow former senior Omar Alvarado left for Diez Canseco Abogados in February 2022.
Enrique Felices; Willy Pedreschi
DiDi Mobility Information Technology
Citibank del Perú
World Wildlife Fund
- Representing Tiendas por Departamento Ripley and Banco Ripley Perú in four strategic supervisions / ex officio sanctioning proceedings conducted by the Data Protection Authority as well as INDECOPI during 2020 and 2021.
- Assisting DiDi Mobility Information Technology on reviewing the privacy notices and terms and conditions used by the company in its agreements with riders, drivers and other parties.
- Advised Verizon on the analysis of the legal feasibility of commercialising global telecommunication services based on emerging technologies over the IP network at the local level.
Peru > Labour and employment Tier 3Miranda & Amado‘s labour department ‘takes the client’s problems as if they were its own‘ and has recently been notably active in advising on employee-side collective negotiations with unions. Practice head Eric Castro ‘acts diligently with business issues‘ relating to Covid-19; as such, the team has continued to assist adidas Peru and Corporación Turística Peruana with ongoing employment-related pandemic implications. Carlos Cadillo focuses on collective and individual bargaining and also handles matters relating to conflict prevention and management, as well as full-blown labour disputes; while counsel Luis Santa Cruz ‘always gives the right solutions’, particularly as regards workplace health-and-safety, and administrative instructions.
‘The plus of their lawyers in labour is that they know our business and the details of the operation, which allows their recommendations to be accurate and appropriate to the needs of our company.’
‘The predisposition they have to answer our queries immediately is very important. When they are required to have meetings urgently, we are always attended to immediately.’
‘Eric Castro and Carlos Cadillo are always very clear, transparent and direct in their opinions of a legal nature, generating a lot of security in management for decision-making.’
‘Eric Castro understands the business-people relationship, and always recommends updating understanding of the standard in a timely manner. In addition, he acts diligently with business issues and raises contingency or risk issues in the required time.’
‘The main difference is the availability and quick response of the lawyer Luis Santa Cruz who also always gives the right solutions. He stays very up-to-date on market practices and on the country’s political and economic situation that may impact the company’s legal issues.’
‘Luis Santa Cruz stays very informed about what is happening in the country and in the world of work to give us the best advice. He is also very fair in his recommendations. He knows the company in great depth and advises us with tact and clear knowledge.’
‘Eric Castro and Carlos Cadillo are very experienced in labour issues in Peru, They take the client’s problems as if they were their own. They put on the company shirt. They are very professional.’
‘Eric Castro, Carol Villalobos and Aracelli Morales provide solutions and strategies to address the different labour legal issues that have arisen. We highlight their accompaniment to the client, showing at all times legal capacity for management, adaptation and anticipation, especially in the pandemic context that we have been going through.’
FCA Peruana Eternit (Etex Group)
Corporación Turística Peruana
Peruplast – Amcor Flexibles Lima
Productos Tissue del Perú – Softys (part of CMPC)
CHR Hansen/Oterra Natural Colors & Sustainable Food Coloring
Operadora Ecológica del Titicaca (Grupo ICA México)
Adidas del Perú
Rutas de Lima
World Duty Free Group Perú
Kimberly Clark Perú
- Advising Química Suiza on negotiating its collective agreements with its union for 2020 and 2021.
- Advising Mexichem Perú (Orbia Group) on the collective bargaining for 2021 with the union and the strategies during 30 days of strike action.
- Advised Productos Tissue del Perú on the design of labour strategies that allowed the signing of the collective agreement with the union, meeting the company’s objectives.
Peru > Tax Tier 3The ‘very transparent‘ and ‘very agile' offering at Miranda & Amado has a particular niche in regulated industries – specifically, oil and gas, electricity and telecommunications. Practice head Pablo Sotomayor ‘has outstanding experience and knowledge' and specialises in all aspects of M&A transactions, restructurings and planning. His team is adept at advising on sophisticated tax structures, complex cross-border financings and litigation – including ongoing representation of BHP Billiton before SUNAT regarding tax assessment errors. A pool of associates including experienced figures Luis Miguel Sánchez and Nicolás Valverde complete the team, for whom other recent clients include Telefónica del Perú and Empress Royalty.
‘They are very proactive and come forward with suggestions before problems arise. They keep records of all cases and continually remind us to take steps that would otherwise cause us problems.’
‘We are happy with the work of the M&A tax area. They are always willing to assist us immediately.’
‘I would like to highlight the work of Eduardo Pedroza, who demonstrated his experience in tax matters and especially in the matters that he advises us.’
‘The entire process of tax consulting has been very transparent, discussed and very agile. They have taken my name to contact all the people related to the delivery of the information.’
‘Their kindness, the quick response to our doubts or questions… being committed to what is mine… being part of the solution to these issues.’
‘Excellent personal and professional treatment of the staff of the law firm, especially Pablo Sotomayor.’
‘Pablo Sotomayor has outstanding experience and knowledge of tax issues, with resolution of requested issues as soon as possible.’
The Vanguard International Group
Teleatento del Perú
Statkraft del Perú
Transportadora de Gas del Perú (TGP)
Telefónica del Perú
Engie Energía del Perú
- Assisting TC Latin America Partners on the transfer of its participation in several Peruvian associative contracts (“asociaciones en participación”) that invested in Peruvian real estate projects.
- Assisted KNOC and Ecopetrol (as a leading party in the transaction) on the transfer of its 100% equity shares in Offshore International Group (OIG), the ultimate holding entity of SAVIA Peru and its other Peruvian subsidiaries, for $1bn.
- Representing BHP Billiton’s interests in ongoing tax litigation before the Peruvian Tax Administration (SUNAT) carried out by Compañía Minera Antapaccay and Compañía Minera Antamina, regarding tax assessments to the mining operation from 2001 to 2019.
Miranda & Amado > Firm Profile
The firm: Miranda & Amado is a full-service Peruvian law firm with an international outlook. A market leader across a range of practice areas, it is renowned for its expert handling of highly sophisticated transactions and cross-border deals for a predominantly multinational clientele. This international experience has led to the team being instructed by clients to coordinate regional transactions in the role traditionally assumed by US firms; this is unique in Peru and rare among law firms across Latin America. Miranda & Amado covers all areas of the law while maintaining its boutique approach to highly sophisticated matters in sectors such as electricity, oil and gas, telecoms, mining, infrastructure, real estate and banking, finance and insurance. Expertise in these fields is well supplemented by market leading practice groups in finance, M&A, litigation, labour, tax, environmental, insolvency, competition and antitrust. The firm also stands out for participating in the most innovative and first-of-their-kind transactions in Peru.
Top-notch talent: Miranda & Amado is at the forefront of the legal service industry in Peru, for which it relies on its top-notch team of lawyers that is committed to and focused on excellence-based performance. Among the leading Peruvian law firms, Miranda & Amado has by far the highest number of lawyers with experience working at top-tier international law firms.
Acknowledgements: Miranda & Amado has won the ‘Peru Law Firm of the Year’ and the ‘Client Service’ awards at the Chambers Latin America Awards, and has been shortlisted for the ‘Latin America Law Firm of the Year’ at the Chambers Global Awards. The firm has also been named ‘Peru Law Firm of the Year’ three times at the IFLR Americas Awards and Peru Tax Firm of the Year by International Tax Review. In 2018, the firm was the first law firm granted an ABE Award, which constitutes the highest recognition to human resources management in the country and was also granted the Chambers Peru Law Firm of the Year Award.
Clients: Miranda & Amado advises major national and international companies in every industrial sector, including the top 10 companies in Peru. Representative clients include: Telefonica, Credicorp, Engie, IFC, Citi, Vinci, BHP, IC Power, Intercorp, APM Terminals, Talma, Sanfer, San Fernando, Terranum, Lindley, Minera Las Bambas and Petroperu.
International work: The firm is part of Affinitas, an alliance established in 2004 and composed of leading law firms in the four countries of the Pacific Alliance. It comprises over 400 lawyers committed to responding to clients’ needs through a close-knit network, ensuring consistency and quality of service. Affinitas is one of only five Leading Regional Law Firm Networks recognised by Chambers Latin America.
|Projects & Natural Resources | Environment||Alberto Delgadoemail@example.com|
|Projects & Natural Resources||Luis Marcelo De-Bernardisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Managing Partner | Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions||Luis Mirandaemail@example.com|
|Banking, Finance & Capital Markets||Juan Luis Avendaño Cfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dispute Resolution||Jose Daniel Amadoemail@example.com|
|Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions||Roberto MacLeanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Insurance & Reinsurance | Bankruptcy||Rafael Corzoemail@example.com|
|Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions||Bruno Amielfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dispute Resolution||Santiago Carrilloemail@example.com|
|Regulatory | Competition & Antitrust||Enrique Felicesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Banking, Finance & Capital Markets||José Miguel Puiggrosemail@example.com|
|Managing Partner | Dispute Resolution||Mauricio Raffofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dispute Resolution||Cristina Ferraroemail@example.com|
|Real Estate||Claudia Lucenafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions||Nathalie Paredesemail@example.com|
|Dispute Resolution||Giovanni Priorifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Projects & Natural Resources | Environment||Guillermo Bracamonteemail@example.com|
|Banking and Finance, Capital Markets||Alvaro Del Vallefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Banking, Finance & Capital Markets||Gabriela Dañinoemail@example.com|
|Insolvency & Restructuring||Renzo Agurtofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Regulatory & Administrative||Willy Pedreschiemail@example.com|
|Projects & Natural Resources||Isabel Lirafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|White-Collar Crime & Compliance||José Luis Velardeemail@example.com|
|White-Collar Crime & Compliance||Rafael Díazfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dispute Resolution||Luis Alonso Navarroemail@example.com|
Staff FiguresPartners : 29 Counsels : 9 Associates : 67 Total staff : 200+
LanguagesSpanish English French German Italian
OtherPartners : 29
A work visa for a foreign professional: how long does it take to obtain and what alternatives are there to speed up this process?29th March 2022
- This requirement is critical for payroll registration, a process conducted by Human Resources areas of hiring companies.
Diversity and equality, two pillars at Miranda & Amado29th March 2022 Striving to reinforce a culture of equality, the Firm has defined the importance of individualizing the diversity and inclusion approach in a new ad hoc committee, whose mission is to ensure that all members at Miranda & Amado can develop fully and on an equal footing.
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Competition and antitrust
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity
- Energy and natural resources > Hydrocarbons
- Projects and infrastructure
- Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Bankruptcy and restructuring
- Energy and natural resources > Mining
- Public law and regulation
- TMT (Technology, media and telecoms)