Holland & Knight LLP > Washington DC, United States > Firm Profile
Holland & Knight LLP Offices
800 17TH STREET, N.W., SUITE 1100
WASHINGTON DC 20006
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Holland & Knight LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsHolland & Knight LLP is consistently involved in headline deals involving the purchase, sale, lease and financing of aircraft, engines and parts. It is also active in relation to helicopter and electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft transactions. Doing ‘everything possible to help the client succeed‘, the group completes a high volume of transactions. Heading up the practice, Phillip L. Durham, who divides his time between the firm’s Chicago and New York offices, is particularly focused on finance transactions in Latin America and other emerging markets. Also integral to the group is John F. Pritchard, who assists with aircraft financing and leasing work, including securitizations and enforcement matters. In San Francisco, William Piels acts for aircraft operating lessors and international financial institutions on aircraft leasing and financing deals; and Nathan Leavitt is also active in relation to airlines operating in Latin America. At of counsel level, Fred Bass is another aircraft financing and leasing deal expert, while associate Laura Lewis regularly acts for aircraft leasing clients. All attorneys mentioned are based in the New York office, unless otherwise stated.
Other key lawyers:
‘A combination of high intelligence and strong analytical and advocacy skills.‘
‘Efficiency and an ability to communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing).‘
‘They are great lawyers who understand and own clients’ problems.‘
‘They do everything possible to help the client succeed.‘
BBAM Aircraft Management
Merx Aviation Capital
Jackson Square Aviation
SMBC Aviation Capital
Aviation Capital Group
Avolon Aerospace Leasing
Vx Capital Partners
Sumitomo Mitsui Finance & Leasing Company
- Advised thirteen aircraft leasing companies/JOLCO equity arrangers (including Aircastle, Avolon Aerospace Leasing, BOC Aviation, CDB Aviation, Engine Lease Finance Corporation, Fuyo Aviation and GE Capital Aviation Services, among others), in relation to Avianca-Taca’s leased fleet (as part of the Avianca Chapter 11 case).
- Assisted CIT Group with the sale of a loan portfolio, secured by approximately 60 aircraft.
- Advised GECAS on the Thrust 2021-1 asset-backed securitization for twenty four engines.
Joe Guay; Vivian de las Cuevas-Diaz
Other key lawyers:
‘Superior knowledge of subject matter. Excellent writing and strategy.’
‘Excellent writing skills and connections within the industry enabling a more effective approach.’
‘Continuous interaction with staff and elected officials. Experience and decades of success.’
‘The team with which I interface comprises individuals with exceptional substantive expertise and, importantly, great humor, empathy, curiosity, and integrity. They are fun to work with and easy to work with. There are other firms with great departments but do not possess the collaborative spirit that H&K exhibits.’
‘The individuals with which I interface possess exceptional substantive expertise and, importantly, great humor, empathy, curiosity, and integrity. They are fun to work with and easy to work with.’
‘The team worked with us to keep our costs low and helped us to navigate our county’s complex rules and regulations. I would recommend them to anyone needing legal expertise in this area.’
‘We worked closely with David Schneider. His experience helped us to move through the process of changing our Special Use permit in a way that was as painless as possible. He was very responsive to questions. He made suggestions that lowered our costs. He negotiated a great outcome. And, he was a pleasure to work with.’
California Renters Legal Advocacy and Education Fund
Burbank Housing; 3575 Mendocino Avenue
California Coastal Properties Concar Passages
Vision McMillan Partners
WC Smith Squares 695, South Capitol St. and Square 464
Property Group Partners
Skanska USA Commercial Development Inc.
Dezer Development LLC
Lennar Homes LLC
Brookfield Property Partners
GID Development Company
The Clorox Companies
Tysons MK, LLC and Tysons MK II, LLC
- Advising Burbank Housing on the approval of entitlements for redevelopment of a 13.3 acre in-fill site at 3575 Mendocino Avenue located within a Priority Development Area, set in a transit-oriented development in Santa Rosa.
- Representing Dezer Development in its proposal to redevelop the Intracoastal Mall, a waterfront retail and restaurant center in North Miami Beach.
- Acting for Property Group Partners in zoning and land use issues for the air rights above the I 395 Center Leg Freeway related to development of more than two million square feet of residential, commercial and institutional development over three new city blocks.
Rich Gold; Robert Highsmith
Other key lawyers:
Joel Roberson; Kathryn Lehman; Charles Naftalin
Juan Alcalá; Tim Moran
‘Very strong team. Excellent knowledge of the industry with special focus in Latam.’
‘Juan Alcalá is a great lawyer and also a person with whom it is a pleasure to work. Very intelligent, competent, organized.’
‘Attention to detail and the personalized services of Marisa Marinelli with her outstanding knowledge on the matters pertaining to litigation law in the oil and gas practice. Marisa Marinelli works the extra yard in order to ensure all the available possibilities are explored.’
Petrobras America / Petróleo Brasileiro
Three Rivers Operating Company / Three Rivers Acquisition
- Representing PMI Norteamerica in litigation pending in New York, wherein PMI asserts a claim for breach of contract arising from the sale of a vessel used to provide catering and accommodation services to PEMEX-Exploracion y Produccion for its offshore oil development activities.
‘Very broadly based and with excellent industry knowledge.‘
‘Outstanding contacts in politics and the industry.‘
‘The department, led by Anita Mosner, is qualified with enormous expertise.‘
JetBlue Airways Corporation
Societe Air France
- Represented JetBlue Airways in state and federal litigation throughout the US.
- Representing several airlines in proceedings against both administrative and judicial challenges to policies concerning the refund of fares for flights that were cancelled due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Acting for Volaris El Salvador on the US launch of a new El Salvadorian carrier that is part of the Volaris family of carriers.
‘This group is very accessible and responsive to time-sensitive issues.‘
‘Thinks creatively to find solutions for our company.‘
‘We sought out Jameson Rice because of his reputation in the transportation industry. He was knowledgeable, smart and client focused.‘
‘Charles Shewmake’s industry experience and contacts make him a key part of our group of outside advisors- always very accessible, solutions oriented and fair with billing.‘
XPO Global Forwarding
Florida East Coast Railway
- Representing CSX Transportation in the sale of assets to the Commonwealth of Virginia to expand passenger and commuter rail to Washington DC.
- Representing XPO Global Forwarding in litigation relating to services rendered with partial payments, and counter-claims as to a customs fine imposed for logistics undertakings.
- Assisting Inxeption with all US and international multi-modal and customs matters.
Citigroup Global Markets
Southern Cross Group
HPS Investment Partners
The Mosaic Company
Centerline Logistics Company
- Advised HPS Investment Partners, the lead arranger and lender on a $395.6m senior-secured term loan and $169.4m senior-secured delayed draw term loan.
- Represented International Seaways in its merger with Diamond S Shipping.
- Represented The Mosaic Company in refinancing structured lease finance transactions involving three vessels.
David Barkus; Robert Grammig; George Mencio
Other key lawyers:
Adam August; Paul Jaskot; Steven Lear; Eric Wechselblatt; Matthew Bielen
American Water Works Company, Inc.
Arlington Capital Partners
Audax Private Equity
Blue Wolf Capital Partners, LLC
Carolina Beverage Group
Converge Technology Partners
Enterprise Financial Corp
FedData Holdings, LLC
Hometown Food Company
Howard Midstream Energy Partners
Intertape Polymer Group, Inc.
Kforce, Inc. (NASDAQ: KFRC)
King Street Real Estate GP LLC
Lennar Corporation (NYSE:LEN)
Lithia Motors, Inc.
Marine Max, Inc. (NYSE: HCO)
NSM Insurance Group
Pine Tree Equity Management
Raymond James Financial (NYSE:RJF)
Toll Brothers (NYSE:TOL)
Trivest Partners, L.P.
- Represented Exchange Income Corporation, a Canadian public company, in the acquisition of Window Installation Specialists, Inc., a full-service glazing company specializing in sales, consultation, installation and service of pre-glazed fenestration products.
- Represented MasTec, Inc. in the acquisition of 50% interest in the following entities: FM Tech Holdings, FM Tech USA Holdings and ASC Holdings. The transaction is important to MasTec as it expands its presence in Puerto Rico.
- Representation of King Street Real Estate GP LLC in a joint venture with Westdale Properties and Cedar Capital Partners in their acquisition of Shelborne South Beach Hotel, a 275-room hotel in Miami Beach, for $120m.
Other key lawyers:
‘Holland & Knight has a strong talent base of experienced construction attorneys. They are extremely responsive, rank high in knowledge base and provide good value for their services.’
‘Stephen Shapiro is an excellent construction trial attorney and brings forth confidence in his ability to handle large, complex matters.’
‘The H&K construction team brings a great depth of knowledge and expertise to development and renovation deals. They have negotiated with many of the large general contractors and have worked on behalf of investors in negotiating development documents with operating partners in a joint venture. In addition, the H&K legal team has worked with great diligence and timeliness in responding to documents and issues. While several law firms may have similar experience, we have noticed that the H&K attorneys respond faster, narrow in on important issues, and provide meaningful feedback and guidance on issues.’
‘The commitment and dedication of partner Jennifer Lowndes to her clients.’
‘Jennifer Lowndes’ unwavering loyalty, work ethic, responsiveness and professionalism.’
New York Thruway Authority
Blue Goose Construction
Hensel Phelps Construction Co.
- Acting as project counsel to a joint venture formed by three major global industrial and infrastructure contractors for a $6bn project.
- Advising EPC contractor Wärtsilä on a 365 MW power facility being built in El Salvador.
- Representing New York Thruway Authority in a $1bn claim arising from the construction of a bridge.
Real estate Tier 2August 2021 saw the significant expansion of the Holland & Knight LLP offering, following its combination with Thompson & Knight and bolstering its collective capabilities with the addition of its Texas and New York based real estate team. Retail, timeshare and hospitality, mixed-use development and leasing continue to be prominent areas of work. Miami based Vivian De Las Cuevas-Diaz chairs the multilocational practice alongside New York’s Joe Guay. Also in New York, Stuart Saft is particularly noted for his condominium development work, and in acquisition and sale of residential, commercial and hospitality assets. Margot Mendelson Hammond in Atlanta has built up a noted credit tenant lease financing practice.
Joe Guay; Vivian de las Cuevas-Diaz
‘Stuart Saft and his team have been reliable and responsive on all of our issues and concerns.’
Midtown Development LLC
Iowa Public Employees Retirement System; Clarion Partners
Art Place at Fort Totten LLC- Parent is the Cafritz Foundation
SL Green Realty Corp.
Northland Investment Corporation
Focus Brands LLC
Tavistock Development Company, LLC
Fisher Island Holdings
- Advising Tavistock on Lake Nona, one of the largest mixed use developments in the country, Lake Nona, Florida, including the development of Disney’s new corporate campus.
- Advising Elion Partners on its industrial property acquisition and disposition in Washington and California.
- Advising Midtown Development LLC with respect to its bid to re-develop Tropicana Field (the current home of the Tampa Rays) in St. Petersburg, Florida. Holland & Knight serves as lead counsel for a development that will result in a total investment of $3.8bn, including 8,000 residential units, retail, hotels and offices.
Juan Alcalá; Timothy Moran
‘The H&K team has a wide breadth of knowledge and experience. They are strongly positioned to support those of us in the energy sector with our core business needs and ancillary matters as they arise.’
‘George Humphrey is our long-time counsel. He takes the time to understand our commercial needs and the best way to support in house counsel to achieve our goals. He has a broad range of experience that he taps to best represent us.’
‘Tim Moran has helped us out on a number of project financings, M&A deals and the work-outs. They provide an unmatched level of service compared to other firms we have used.’
‘Tim Moran effectively leads his teams making sure the interests of his client is always first – which is not always easy in a big law firm with different constituencies and personalities.’
Exelon Generation Company
New York Green Bank
Orsted North America, Inc.
Longwood Medical Energy Collaborative, Inc.
Boston Scientific Corporation
Solar Project Development Group
Credit Agricole CIB
Proman Global Development LLC
- Counsel to Exelon in connection with the sale of its solar business across nearly 600 sites across the U.S., to Brookfield Renewable Partners LP and its institutional partners.
- Acting as lead federal regulatory counsel in connection with the development by Orsted – the world’s largest offshore wind developer – of seven proposed offshore wind projects in the United States.
- Representing Plug Power in its development of a green hydrogen production facility, which will purchase 345 MW of wind power from a wind project developed by Apex Clean Energy, Inc.
Juan Alcalá; Robert Dougherty; Tim Moran
Other key lawyers:
Tim Samson; Andy Derman; Gabriel Ruiz
‘The HK team has great experience in the oil and gas industry and a great reputation through the acquisition of Thompson & Knight. HK’s reputation in the oil and gas industry is excellent and the firm delivers consistent work product.’
‘Tim Samson is a very experienced partner who is extremely responsive and helpful. Gabriel Ruiz is a partner in the Mexico office with great contacts and knoweldge of the Mexican oil and gas industry. Their team is exceptional and staffs its deals with an appropriate number of attorneys, as opposed to some of its competitors.’
‘Andy Derman is one of the few remaining true experts in international oil and gas matters, ranging from complex transactional issues, disputes, maritime boundary issues and just about everything else along the way.’
Fieldwood Energy LLC
Howard Midstream Energy Partners
Natural Gas Partners
Oil India Limited
Petrobras America Inc.
Riley Exploration Permian, Inc.
Stabilis Solutions, Inc.
- Advised Surge Energy on its $420m acquisition of producing properties in Texas from Grenadier Energy Partners II.
- Advised Riley Exploration-Permian pn its merger with Tengasco, Inc.
- Advised IPR Energy Group on its acquisition of key oil and gas exploration and production concessions in Egypt by way of farm-out agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Hands-on advice, very responsive, and an eye for detail.‘
‘Efficient, responsive and user friendly.‘
‘Christopher Nolan is a standout maritime lawyer.‘
‘Christopher Nolan has a sharp legal mind and is very good with clients.‘
Fujairah International Oil & Gas Corporation
New York Terminal Conference
Cruise Lines International Association
- Represented Seawolf Tankers as time charterer in relation to oil tanker Ridgebury Progress suffering a series of mechanical issues, breakdowns and delays.
- Representing Duron in a multi-party and multi-jurisdictional dispute.
- Representing an international cruise line association in relation to Federal Maritime Commission rulemaking on passenger fare refunds for cancelled cruises.
Tax > US taxes: contentious Tier 3Holland & Knight LLP has a strong reputation for representing clients in high-stakes tax disputes at IRS administrative, federal, and state levels, as well as appeals. Its clients include oil and energy companies, tax-exempt organizations, high-net-worth individuals, and Native American tribes. August 2021 saw the merger with Texas-based Thompson & Knight, adding practice co-head Mary McNulty, Abbey Garber, and Lee Meyercord to the Dallas team. McNulty frequently represents major oil and gas companies in federal tax disputes, Garber is noted for his work in IRS appeals, and Meyercord is a key resource regarding high stakes SALT litigation. Based in Atlanta, Bill Sharp represents financial institutions in international tax enforcement and compliance. Tax controversy expert Joshua Odintz joined the Washington DC team from Baker McKenzie in March 2021.
Mary McNulty; Bill Sharp
‘Outstanding service and responsiveness to client. Excellent collaboration and counsel.’
‘Holland & Knight’s Dallas-based tax controversy team is second to none, particularly for energy issues. They are legal experts who deliver correct advice on technical, tactical and strategic advice that, as a practical matter, clients can follow.’
‘Mary McNulty and Lee Meyercord are top-notch tax controversy lawyers that I trust with advice on material issues for all aspects of federal income tax controversy, from audit through litigation.’
American Airlines Inc.
Partnership for Conservation
- Represented ExxonMobil in a $1.5bn tax case.
- Represented American Airlines Inc in a case challenging the failure of the Illinois Department of Revenue to exclude from the Illinois Retailer’s Occupation Tax sales of aviation fuel that were purchased for the purpose of temporarily storing the fuel in Illinois prior to its transportation and consumption thereafter solely outside of Illinois.
Maria Currier; Jeffrey Mittleman
‘The attorneys and staff are specialized, and well versed in all areas of healthcare law compliance and litigation. There attorneys are skilled in civil and criminal litigation in the unique area of healthcare regulatory law.’
‘The attorneys display of knowledge of healthcare law is exceptional and reassuring. The attorney and staff provide regular activity updates on the case. Their representation is tailored to the clients individual needs.’
‘Knowledgeable, available, willing to discuss one on one, establish solid working relationship.’
‘Holland & Knight has an extraordinary knowledge of government regulations that impact healthcare providers, and are particularly adept at understanding the nuaunces of regulations that are seemingly unclear to non-lawyers.’
‘Mia McKown of Holland & Knight’s Tallahassee office has an exceptional understanding of how government agency regulations and actions impact healthcare service providers, which allows her to provide valuable insight as to how such regulations and actions will practically impact a provider\’s operations.’
Advanced Urology Institute
Advanced Diagnostics Hospitals and Clinics LLC
AdventHealth Medical Group
Banyan Medical Systems
MCCI Medical Group
RWJ Barnabas Health
Beth Israel Lahey Health
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Palm Medical Centers
Women’s Healthcare Florida
OB/GYN North Florida
Mount Sinai Health System
Montefiore Medicine Academic Health System
New York Presbyterian Health Systems
Global Nephrology Solutions
NYU Fertility Clinic
Premier Oral Surgery and Implantology Centers
River Oaks Hospital and Clinic
- Represented Global Nephrology Solutions in connection with its strategic investment from Audax Private Equity.
- Advising AdventHealth Systems as Florida counsel.
- Represented Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center on its $1bn License Agreement for Myeloma Therapy.
Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional Tier 4Holland & Knight LLP counts public and private companies, private equity firms, financial institutions and executive management teams among its roster of clients. The team is noted for its expertise in the healthcare, technology and energy sectors, and handles the executive compensation and employee benefits aspects of M&A transactions. In the firm’s Miami office, practice leader Robert Friedman focuses on employee benefits issues and ERISA fiduciary matters, as well as pension and tax planning.
Other key lawyers:
‘High level and depth of expertise. A collegial and friendly team.’
‘John Martini is an expert in his field. A great leader, good partnership with clients, level headed, even keel and an excellent advocate for his clients.’
‘Deep knowledge and experience in public company executive compensation and general benefits work. Collaborative, responsive and insightful.’
‘They are always available and responsive. They also seek to find a business-focused solution to a problem.’
City Pipe & Supply Corp.
Net eSolutions Corporation
Other key lawyers:
Lindsey Camp; Lynn Calkins
‘As a team, Holland & Knight has been able to bring in expert practitioners for any subject matter that arises during complex litigation. They’ve also been able to refer us internally to partners that can assist with advance risk management and planning. ‘
‘Their use of technology for eDiscovery matters has been excellent and supported our case preparation, all keeping it at the same firm.’
‘The attorneys we work with, primarily Todd Wozniak and Lindsey Camp, are clear experts in their field. They are familiar with the legal issues we face, the arguments that will arise, and the processes we are engaged in. They are good at explaining things clearly and advising us on different courses of action.’
Isagenix Worldwide Inc.
Stiefel Laboratories, Inc.
Kruse Western, Inc. and GreatBanc Trust Company
American Society of Appraisers
Willamette Management Associates, Inc.
Willis Towers Watson
- Defending Stiefel Laboratories, Inc., its board of directors and several officers against multiple lawsuits claiming that the defendants breached their fiduciary duties under ERISA, among other claims.
- Defending Kruse Western, Inc, its board of directors, its ESOP administrative committee, the selling shareholders, and the institutional trustee of the ESOP in a putative class action.
- Representing all of the individual defendants, including the members of the Isagenix Worldwide, Inc.’s Board of Directors, in a putative class action.
‘The biggest aspect that has helped our firm is the ability of the partners at Holland & Knight to think outside the box and come up with really creative tax strategies to accomplish our goals. They have never limited themselves to merely traditional transaction structuring.’
‘Great tax specialists and fantastic with client relationships. Specialists in US tax matters with core focus on new developments (giving lectures in Europe!)’
‘Bill Sharp is superb with clients. He has a very broad scope and is an example of the trusted advisor coordinating all relevant matters of his clients. Also worth mentioning is Alan Granwell who knows everything about new tax policy.’
‘The Holland & Knight team based out of Tampa is a fantastic offering for ultra high net worth clients and family offices. They have the depth and resources to deal with any matter no matter how complex, provide all US related advice and coordinate all international advice through their international network and contacts.’
‘Bill Sharp is an extremely experienced and capable private client lawyer, is on top of all the many moving parts that any HNW client matter will involve. Extremely personable and very focussed.’
‘Andrea Darling Cortes is a fantastic private client lawyer, very easy to deal with and always on top of all the details, excellent technical tax expertise that underpins her wonderful manner with private clients.’
‘I have been working with HK for two years and it has been a great experience. My main contact in tax is Sean Tevel. He is one of the most responsive US lawyers that I have known. Very proactive. Very business orient and a great commercial sense. The matters that we have worked together might be not the largest but his response and care make you feel each client is the most important for him.’
‘Sean Tevel is a great tax lawyer. Very good at explaining complex matters. He helps clients to understand every detail and improves the risk and business assessment.’
Takeda Pharmaceuticals USA
Global Business Alliance
Partnership for Conservation
Global Business Alliance (GBA)
- Advising Takeda Pharmaceuticals on tax policy matters.
- Represented GBA before the U.S. Department of the Treasury and Internal Revenue Service in a case regarding changes to various tax regulations that are key to GBA members
Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design Tier 5
Tax > International tax Tier 5Holland & Knight LLP‘s practice has grown with the addition of head of the international estate planning group Kevin Packman and tax practice chair William Sherman following its merger with Thompson & Knight in August 2021. Based in Fort Lauderdale, Sherman specializes in international tax advisory and planning work for clients active in telecoms, transportation, and pharmaceuticals industries, amongst others. Packman operates out of Miami and advises high-net-worth individuals on pre-immigration and expatriation planning, as well as tax compliance and controversy matters.
Kevin Packman; William Sherman
- Represented ExxonMobil in a $1.5bn tax appeal.
- Represented Western Union before the U.S. Treasury and Congress regarding potential modifications to the global intangible low-taxed income regime (GILTI) and a potential new interest limitation under proposed section 163(n).
Holland & Knight LLP > Firm Profile
Founded in 1968, Holland & Knight is a global law firm with more than 1,300 lawyers and other professionals in 28 offices. Among the nation’s largest law firms, we provide representation in litigation, business, real estate and governmental law. Interdisciplinary practice groups and industry-based teams provide clients with access to attorneys throughout the firm, regardless of location.
Clients recognize the firm’s ability to consistently provide excellent value in a variety of areas from complex commercial litigation, corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions to regulatory matters, real estate transactions and government investigations. Holland & Knight offers decades of experience in an array of industries, businesses and government organizations, which results in helping clients identify and capture opportunities while mitigating risk and liability. The firm is also well-positioned to guide domestic and global corporations in navigating US government policy changes. Our established relationships with key policymakers, regulatory and legislative experience, and advocacy strategies greatly benefits clients and provides an additional avenue to successfully resolve matters.
Service without boundaries: The firm is organized into four practice sections: litigation, government, business and real estate. Through integrated practice groups and industry-based teams, we can provide efficient and responsive legal representation anywhere in the world. We serve based on needs, not merely location. Our interdisciplinary approach ensures that clients have access to the lawyers with the most appropriate experience.
As a full service firm, Holland & Knight offers our clients an array of services to meet and exceed their business objectives, including:
Banking and financial services: Holland & Knight’s banking and finance practice is as diverse as the needs of the clients it serves. Clients in all segments of the finance and financial services industry count on the expertise and experience of our firm to assist them in their important transactions, controversies, regulatory, governmental affairs and other matters. These clients include global banks, large US domestic and regional banks, insurance companies, asset managers, private equity groups, trust companies, community banks, servicing companies, FinTech and emerging products and services.
Construction: Holland & Knight has extensive experience in all matters related to construction industry claims and litigation. It also counsels clients on construction operations, corporate compliance, structuring and negotiating industry agreements, public-private partnerships, project administration, risk management, government contracts and procurement law, and international construction.
Corporate, M&A and securities: Holland & Knight advises public and private companies in a broad range of domestic and international corporate transactions, financings and securities law matters.
Energy: Holland & Knight provides a full array of legal services to the energy sector in the US and abroad. The firm’s energy attorneys and professionals work in all areas of energy-related regulatory, legislative, transactional and litigation matters, as well as the world’s newest, most innovative energy opportunities.
Healthcare and life sciences: The firm represents the full scope of healthcare-related businesses in all aspects of their regulatory issues and operations. Clients range from all providers along the care continuum, managed care companies and health plans to pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology firms and medical device manufacturers.
Intellectual property: Holland & Knight’s IP attorneys have significant experience handling the issues surrounding complex patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret and unfair competition matters. They are experienced in a wide array of technical disciplines, and many hold degrees in areas such as computer and software engineering, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering.
Labor, employment and benefits: Holland & Knight represents management in all areas of labor and employment law, including civil rights, discrimination and retaliation; class actions; labor relations; non-competition, trade secrets and defecting employees; OSHA, workplace safety and whistleblower claims; ERISA/employee benefits and executive compensation; and immigration, nationality and consular law.
Leisure and hospitality: Holland & Knight represents owners, operators, lenders, investors and brands in development, structuring, governance, acquisition, financing, restructuring, management and dispute resolution throughout the world, for projects ranging from hotels, resorts and mixed-use projects to timeshare, fractional, branded residential, golf and marina properties.
Litigation: Holland & Knight has one of the largest litigation practices in the country. Former federal prosecutors and regulatory officials form a key part of the group, which handles multi-million-dollar class actions, securities litigation, product liability, mass tort cases and white-collar criminal defense.
Public policy and regulation: Holland & Knight’s public policy and regulation practice group consists of more than 100 lawyers and other professionals engaged in federal, state and local government affairs, regulatory counseling and related disciplines.
Real estate and land use: Holland & Knight’s real estate practice is among the largest of any US law firm. Nearly all of the firm’s offices are staffed to provide clients with superior local, national and international service when handling the wide variety of issues related to real estate transactions, regulations and litigation.
Tax: Holland & Knight represents clients in all types of taxation matters – international, federal, state and local, employee benefits and executive compensation. The firm’s services are both preventive and remedial. Clients range from Fortune 100 companies to individuals protecting their personal and business assets.
Transportation: Holland & Knight lawyers serve public and private sector clients operating in the many facets of the transportation industry. The firm’s Transportation Team is a recognized international leader and has extensive experience in the areas of aviation, freight rail, infrastructure, maritime and shipping, mass transit and public transportation, and trucking and logistics.
Wealth management: Holland & Knight’s estate planning group focuses almost exclusively on the needs of high-net-worth estates. It is nationally recognized in fields as diverse as estate and generation-skipping transfer tax planning, sophisticated charitable giving, probate litigation, IRS litigation, life insurance planning, business succession planning, asset protection, international taxation, charitable organizations and private foundations.
A team approach that covers all the bases
Holland & Knight’s industry-focused client teams have significant experience in key sectors, including:
- Energy and natural resources
- Finance and financial services
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Real estate and hospitality
- Technology and telecommunications
- Transportation and infrastructure
With a one-firm team approach, attorneys collaborate with colleagues across the firm’s offices and practice areas to efficiently counsel clients. Multidisciplinary teams are designed to comprehensively address the full scope of clients’ legal challenges and opportunities.
|Business section||James McDermott|
|Business section||Eric Wechselblatt|
|Litigation Section||Christopher Kelly|
|Litigation Section||Lynn Calkins|
|Government Section||David Whitestone|
|Government Section||Beth Viola|
|Real Estate Section||Joe Guay|
|Real Estate Section||Vivian de las Cuevas-Diaz|
|Banking & Financial Services||Matthew Fontane|
|Banking & Financial Services||Jose Sirven|
|Corporate, M&A & Securities||Bob Grammig|
|Corporate, M&A & Securities||George Mencio|
|Healthcare & Life Sciences||Maria Currier|
|Healthcare & Life Sciences||Jeffrey Mittleman|
|Intellectual Property||Joshua Krumholz|
|Labor, Employment & Benefits||Robert Vyverberg|
|Leisure & Hospitality||Joe Guay|
|Leisure & Hospitality||Jeffrey Blake Stern|
|Public Policy & Regulation||Rich Gold|
|Public Policy & Regulation||Robert Highsmith, Jr.|
|Real Estate & Land Use||Joe Guay|
|Real Estate & Land Use||Stuart Saft|
|Wealth Management||David Scott Sloan|
|Wealth Management||Christopher Boyett|
|Energy, Mining & Natural Resources||Juan Alcala|
|Finance & Financial Services||James Chadwick|
|Healthcare & Life Sciences||Jeffrey Mittleman|
|Healthcare & Life Sciences||Maria Currier|
|Real Estate & Hospitality||Christopher Camarra|
|Transportation & Infrastructure||Anita Mosner|
|Transportation & Infrastructure||Christopher Nolan|
Staff FiguresNumber of partners : 735 Number of fee-earners : 592
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Government > Government relations
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - litigation and regulation
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - litigation and regulation
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Real estate
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - litigation and regulation
- Tax > US taxes: contentious
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Tax > International tax