Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. > Dallas North, United States > Firm Profile
Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. Offices
Suite 200, Plano
Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. > The Legal 500 Rankings
Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing) Tier 2Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. harnesses the bench strength of a footprint spanning the Americas, Europe, and the Asia Pacific region, to advise on the enforcement and management of major global portfolios across a diverse spectrum of industries, including those of the Dallas Cowboys, Starz Entertainment, and AT&T. The team is led by David Bell in Dallas, who applies experience to Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings, specializes in clients in telecoms, music, apparel, and consumer products. Also in Dallas, Jeffrey Becker employs longstanding expertise in brand management, Purvi Patel Albers brings expertise to social media counseling and internet enforcement, including oppositions, cancellations and Uniform Dispute Resolution Proceedings, Rob LeBlanc handles complex product launches, and Tiffany Ferris manages risks associated with advertising claims and the availability of potential trademarks. In New York, Erin Hennessy advises clients in the publishing, tech, retail, fashion, and financial services sectors, where associate Annie Allison utilizes a background as a former TV news producer and reporter, to counsel media and entertainment clients. Joseph Lawlor in New York and Mike McArthur in Dallas were both promoted to partner in January 2023.
Other key lawyers:
‘Although they utilize multiple team members to maintain continuity, the team speaks with one voice and is closely calibrated to ensure consistency throughout the life of a matter.’
‘I can count on the Haynes and Boone team to hit the ground running competently with a practical approach on any matter, regardless of timeline. They are deeply keyed in to my business, highly calibrated to our risk tolerances, and make a point of understanding our unique approach.
Blue Magic, Inc.
Rad Power Bikes Inc.
Solo Brands, LLC (includes each of its portfolio companies, Solo Stove, Chubbies, Out Kayak, and Isle)
Starz Entertainment, LLC
VP Racing Fuels
- Representing the Dallas Cowboys and its parent company, Blue Star Operations Services, LLC.
- Advising DIRECTV on trademark function, including clearance, prosecution, in-house training, enforcement, licenses, and management of the portfolio, which spans more than 100 jurisdictions.
- Advising Mattress Firm’s as primary trademark counsel.
Based in Texas, Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. focuses on litigation surrounding highly technical oil and gas issues, in addition to commercial litigation cases. The practice counts prominent market players, including ConocoPhillips and Shell, among its key roster of clients. With experience in state and federal courts, as well as in international arbitration, the team has experience across a wide range of disputes, including operating agreements, lease termination disputes, royalty litigation and midstream disputes. Craig Stahl handles high-end commercial litigation across the majority of oil-producing states between the Gulf of Mexico and the Canadian border, on behalf of major energy producers, pipelines, marketers and royalty trustees. Michael Mazzone frequently represents companies in environmental contamination disputes, as well as toxic tort cases and construction litigation, while Jeffrey Kuehnle handles a broad range of cases arising out of the oil and gas industry in the federal and state courts.
Craig Stahl; Michael Mazzone
Other key lawyers:
Jeffrey Kuehnle; David Ammons; Michelle Scheffler
‘Craig Stahl and Jeff Kuehnle are excellent trial lawyers. They are experienced, knowledgeable, and responsive. I trust them to work on some of our company’s highest stakes litigation.’
‘The attorneys are responsive, client-focused, and are very knowledgeable about our industry and the specialized legal issues that we often face in litigation.’
Newfield Exploration Company (now Ovintiv USA Inc.)
Finley Resources, Inc.
Oasis Petroleum North America, LLC
Mewbourne Oil Company
Shell Oil Company
Burlington Resources Oil & Gas Company, LP
Citizen Energy LLC
- Successfully represented Shell Oil Company in a five-week jury trial of environmental contamination claims. Plaintiffs claimed personal injury and property damage from an alleged neighbourhood cluster of asthma, lupus and autoimmune diseases. Plaintiffs’ counsel sought multi-million-dollar damages, including punitive damages. The jury returned a verdict for the company on all claims.
- Representing Burlington Resources Oil & Gas Company, LP in a putative class action alleging late royalty payments by our producer client on thousands of leases in North Dakota. The case presents important questions about the applicability of penalty interest charges under the North Dakota royalty payment statutes.
- Recently taken over as lead counsel in two cases for Newfield Exploration Company (now Ovintiv USA Inc.): The first, a putative class action alleging improper post-production royalty deductions on royalty payments now pending in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma. The second, a precedent-setting matter in North Dakota in which the State of North Dakota claims that it was underpaid royalties on state oil and gas leases in which the Haynes Boone team secured a take-nothing judgment against the State.
Ernest Martin Jr.
‘Exceptionally responsive and appropriately aggressive. Exceptionally knowledgeable and thorough. Creative and competent.’
‘Ernest Martin is exceptionally professional and capable.’
Boy Scouts of America
Clinical Pathology and Sonic Healthcare USA
Curtis Park Group, LLC
Lundberg LLC and LDX Solutions
Lamacar, Inc. d/b/a Kelli’s Gift Shop Suppliers
Hertz Global Holdings, Inc.
Pioneer Natural Resources
Genesee & Wyoming Railroad Services, Inc. and Atlas Railroad Construction
Balfour Beatty Communities, LLC
TD Williamson, Inc.
Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings) Tier 3Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. has a strong reputation for its abilities in the IP field, with a nationwide offering led by Alan Herda and David O’Dell in Dallas, New York's Richard Rochford, and Washington DC-based Jeffrey Wolfson. The firm regularly acts for noteworthy clients in the medical devices and new technologies industries, including Paypal, Cisco and Twitter, advising on the full-range of matters, encompassing patent counseling, IP-related agreements and due diligence, and particularly regarded for its inter-partes review and re-examination work, a key example of which being its high-profile representation of medical device company Orthofix, Inc in its merging with Seaspine, wherein the team obtained two favorable rulings at the PTAB. Dallas-based David McCombs is renowned for his work at the PTAB and is the primary contact for many of the firm’s key clients, while Austin’s Raghav Bajaj is also a key up-and-coming name for PTAB and inter-partes proceedings.
Alan Herda; David O’Dell; Richard Rochford; Jeffrey Wolfson
Nabors Industries, Ltd.
Nice Systems Ltd.
Strides Pharma, Inc.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, Ltd.
Teledyne FLIR LLC
Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Assisting Nabors Industries with patent counseling, IP-related agreements, due diligence, including in connection with M&A activity.
- Handling patent matters domestically and internationally for Paypal.
- Representing Orthofix on healthcare-related IP matters of a that pertain to the client’s durable medical equipment and other medical device products.
Daniel Geyser; Ben Mesches
Other key lawyers:
‘Haynes and Boone has an extraordinary appellate team. They work collaboratively-both with the client and the trial lawyers. They’re responsive and pay attention to detail.’
‘Mark Trachtenberg is the best appellate lawyer I know. He’s brilliant, thorough, attentive, and passionate about his work. I can’t recommend him highly enough.’
Archer and White Sales, Inc. / McKool Smith, P.C.
Gary Varjabedian and Jerry Mutza
Alfred H. Siegel, Trustee of the Circuit City Stores, Inc. Liquidating Trust
Lisa Crain, et al.
Shaun A. House and Demetrios Pullos
Jesse Polansky, M.D., M.P.H.
Denise A. Badgerow
Unified Patents, LLC
Curo Health Services, Inc.
Hertz Global Holdings, Inc.
- Obtained a victory for IDEXX Laboratories, before the Fourteenth Court of Appeals of Texas, in a patent-licensing lawsuit brought by the University of Texas.
- Successfully persuaded a Texas appellate court to overturn a $110m fraud verdict against BBVA.
- Retained by Pizza Hut to defend a trial decision at appellate level.
Leslie Thorne; Ben Mesches
Other key lawyers:
Jason Jordan; Andrew Guthrie; Ryan Pitts; Pat Hughes
‘They are simply the best.’
‘Pat Hughes and Leslie Thorne are superb lawyers and a pleasure to work with. Top drawer.’
‘The Haynes and Boone team is extremely agile, and well-coordinated across jurisdictions, to seamlessly provide service throughout the United States.’
‘Leslie Thorne is a phenomenal strategist and extremely well-versed in litigation procedure and law to provide a full 360 degree assessment on issues that matter to business.’
Panda Power Funds
Papalote Creek II, LLC
Southwest Power Pool, Inc.
South Texas Electric Cooperative, Inc. (STEC)
EDP Renewables North America, LLC
El Algodon Alto, LLC
RWE Renewables Americas, LLC
- Representing Panda Power Funds against ERCOT, the Texas electricity grid operator, and several ERCOT current and former officers in a case of first impression with respect to Capacity, Demand and Reserves reports relied on for financing of three new gas-fired generating units, one of which is now in bankruptcy. The lawsuit alleges $2 billion in damages, and the case raises the issues of whether ERCOT is immune from suit and the Public Utility Commission of Texas has exclusive jurisdiction over these claims.
- Counselling multiple clients, including Tokai Carbon, NextEra, EDP Renewables, and South Texas Electric Cooperative—in relation to mass tort litigation arising out of Winter Storm Uri in Texas in February 2021.
- Representing Ormat’s subsidiary, Viridity Energy Solutions, a qualified scheduling entity (QSE), in commercial litigation arising out of ERCOT’s demand response programs, which permit customers to voluntarily reduce or modify their use of electricity in coordination with other market participants, or in response to price signals. The claim in this case relates to a counter-party’s failure to indemnify Viridity for charges assessed by ERCOT.
Healthcare > Life sciences Tier 5
The financial services regulation practice at Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. offers ‘broad expertise‘ in global credit risk management, margin regulation and derivates and commodities work. Charlotte-based Todd Cubbage shares leadership of the team with Monika Sanford, who works out of the firm’s Austin office; in New York, credit risk management expert and ‘highly effective and knowledgeable’ Giorgio Bovenzi is another standout, working alongside managing partner and executive committee member Craig Unterberg, whose practice revolves around margin regulatory work and structured equity.
Todd Cubbage; Monika Sanford
‘Haynes and Boone is a very reputable law firm for financing, regulatory compliance funds and corporate finance matters. The team has an outstanding grip on the market and has a deep knowledge of banking regulatory matters. They distinguish themselves from their competitors by virtue of their client-oriented approach, in addition to being extremely technically strong and always on top of the latest regulatory developments in the market. Their constructive and commercial approach to transactions is impressive and extremely appreciable for business partners and clients, making them real dealmakers.’
‘Giorgio Bovenzi is an absolute star, with truly outstanding regulatory and industry knowledge. He is a very smart individual, and an excellent lawyer who can swiftly grasp and resolve any issue. He is stellar in client-service and has a particularly remarkable ability to see the big picture on a matter, whatever its size and complexity.’
‘This is a very strong team that encompasses a wide range of capabilities in particular in the cross-section of financial regulatory work, financial transactions and insolvency. In particular it is a team that is very adept at understanding cross-border nuances, making in-depth legal analysis and coming to actionable conclusions.’
‘The practice is unique because of the team’s ability to move quickly and their broad expertise and ability to get things done well. They provide a service that is as good as bigger names but with more attentiveness.’
‘Giorgio Bovenzi deserves particular mention for his constant and arduous attention to detail and to a longstanding relationship with key clients. Bovenzi is also an important presence in the International Bar Association and comes very highly regarded.’
‘Giorgio Bovenzi’s experience working on multi-jurisdictional advisory projects gives him an in-depth understanding of cross-border regulatory, risk and insolvency issues in all major trading jurisdictions. Giorgio can quickly identify the most significant risks for his clients in a given jurisdiction and recommend practical solutions based on his experience.’
‘Giorgio Bovenzi – highly effective and knowledgeable in both common law concepts and continental European law concepts. He also has developed a very broad and reliable international network of local counsel to provide opinions and guidance on local law in particular markets.’
‘Very commercial in their advice. They also do a great job keeping current on pending regulatory changes and have proven helpful with market introductions. Lastly, their service is exceptional — they provide solid advice under great pressure and immense time constraints.’
Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. > Firm Profile
Haynes and Boone, LLP is an international corporate law firm with offices in Texas, New York, California, Charlotte, Chicago, Denver, Washington, D.C., London, Mexico City and Shanghai, providing a full spectrum of legal services in energy, technology, financial services and private equity. With 600 lawyers, Haynes and Boone is ranked among the largest US-based firms by The National Law Journal, The American Lawyer and The Lawyer. It was recognized for excellence in the BTI Consulting Group’s 2021 “A-Team” report, which identifies the law firms that in-house counsel commend for providing superior client service.
|Managing Partner||Taylor Wilsonemail@example.com||214.651.5615|
|Administrative Partner - Austin||Rob Lauerfirstname.lastname@example.org||512.867.8505|
|Administrative Partner - Charlotte||Todd Cubbageemail@example.com||980.771.8250|
|Administrative Partner - Chicago||Laura Beth Millerfirstname.lastname@example.org||312.216.1625|
|Administrative Partner - Dallas||Tom Harrisemail@example.com||214.651.5630|
|Administrative Partner - Denver||Dan Malonefirstname.lastname@example.org||303.382.6218|
|Administrative Partner - Fort Worth||Karen Precellaemail@example.com||817.347.6620|
|Administrative Partner - Houston||Ricardo Garcia-Morenofirstname.lastname@example.org||713.547.2208|
|Managing Partner - London||William Cecilemail@example.com||+44 (0)20 8734.2837|
|Administrative Partner - Mexico City||Edgar Kleefirstname.lastname@example.org||+52.55.5249.1873|
|Administrative Partner - New York||Craig Unterbergemail@example.com||212.659.4987|
|Administrative Partner - Orange County||Greg Michelsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||949.202.3022|
|Administrative Partner - Palo Alto||Gary Edwardsemail@example.com||650.687.8842|
|Administrative Partner - Dallas-North||Dustin Johnsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||972.739.6969|
|Administrative Partner - San Antonio||Diana Liebmannemail@example.com||210.978.7418|
|Chief Representative and Administrative Partner, Shanghai Office||Liza Markfirstname.lastname@example.org||+86.21.6062.6183|
|Administrative Partner - The Woodlands||Craig Stahlemail@example.com||713.547.2304|
|Administrative Partner - Washington, D.C.||Phil Lookadoofirstname.lastname@example.org||202.654.4510|
|Administrative Partner - San Francisco||Brian Kwokemail@example.com||415.293.8901|
Staff FiguresPartners : 249 Other Lawyers : 341
LanguagesArabic Armenian Chinese (various dialects) Dutch Filipino French German Greek Hebrew Indian Gujarati Hindi Malayalam Urdu Indonesian Italian Japanese Korean Persian Portugese Romanian Russian Serbo-Croatian Spanish Thai Taiwanese Vietnamese
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Energy > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Insurance > Advice to policyholders
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Energy > Energy litigation: electric power