Bedell Cristin > St Peter Port, Guernsey > Firm Profile
Bedell Cristin Offices
LA PLAIDERIE HOUSE
ST PETER PORT
Bedell Cristin > The Legal 500 Rankings
Guernsey > Insurance Tier 1Bedell Cristin acts as a one-stop-shop to Guernsey insurance clients, with a practice that spans products such as insurance-linked securities, captives, pension longevity risk swaps and traditional commercial insurance, as well as corporate and regulatory issues related to insurance companies. The department is led by Richard Sharp , who is knowledgeable in Guernsey insurance structures. Dylan Latimer is noted for insurance regulatory work and corporate transactions. Senior associate James Walsh, who joined from Ogier in January 2022, brought with him substantial corporate transactional expertise. Associate Tendai Gakanje is also recommended.
‘Bedells is a go to firm for prospects or clients looking to understand a little more about a legal issue, where there’s analysis to be undertaken they are thorough and clear where not they are honest and explain why not necessary. In this way they are very supportive of the insurance industry in Guernsey.’
‘I work with Richard Sharp who is pragmatic and works with integrity.’
Artex Risk Solutions
Aon Insurance Management
First Central Group Limited
Lloyd’s of London
House Builders Federation
Sapphire Underwriting Limited
Falcon Insurance PCC
- Advised Lloyd’s of London on its £650million reinsurance of its central fund using a Guernsey incorporated cell company.
- Advised the Home Builders Federation on its Deposit Unlock scheme to provide 95% mortgages to buyers of new build homes.
- Advised Aon in connection with its role on the Fujitsu pension longevity swap.
Jersey > Capital markets Tier 1Delivering ‘a responsive, cost effective and commercially focused service‘, Bedell Cristin covers the full gamut of capital market issues in Jersey, with a strong debt practice that includes securitisations, structured finance, high-yield bonds and debt listings; and on the equity side, an impressive track record in acting as a listing agent on the international stock exchange. Alasdair Hunter is the department leader, with substantial experience in debt listings and structured finance. Sara Johns is a specialist in equity capital markets, with knowledge in advising on public M&A. Louise Ridgway is another key name, assisting with debt and equity listings.
‘The Bedells team delivers a responsive, cost effective and commercially focused service to us. The advice has always been of top quality and first class. The firm understands how clients want and need to get from the start to the end of transactions efficiently and smoothly and in dealing with all issues in a calm and effective manner.’
‘Very commercial and pragmatic. Excellent at finding solutions.’
‘Alasdair Hunter is a star.’
‘The team are very commercial, pro-active and with a breadth of experience in the type of capital market structures structured through Jersey.’
‘Alasdair Hunter. Commercial, well informed, market aware, client friendly and good technical knowledge.’
Linus Digital Finance
First Quantum Minerals Ltd
JP Morgan Securities
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Red Ventures Limited
Lloyds Bank plc
U.S International Development Finance Corporation
Barclays Bank Plc
- Acted as Jersey counsel to Tullow Oil plc, giving corporate and banking and capital markets advice on its offering of $1,800,000,000 senior secured notes due 2026 and its $600,000,000 super senior revolving credit facility maturing in December 2024. The company will use the proceeds of the notes to repay its existing Reserves Based Lending Facility, to redeem its senior notes due 2022, and to repay its convertible bonds due 2021.
- Provided Jersey legal advice to the initial purchasers and the mandated lead arrangers in connection with Constellation Automotive’s £2.02bn (equivalent) underwritten financing arrangements, including its £695 million offering of 4.875 percent senior secured notes due 2027, its approximately £750 million (equivalent) senior secured term facility, its £250 million revolving credit facility and its £325 million second lien facility.
- Provided listing sponsor services to Elite UK Commercial Holdings Limited, a subsidiary of a Singapore listed REIT in connection with the listing of its issued share capital on the Official List of The International Stock Exchange (TISE). The listing was required in connection Elite UK’s application to HM Revenue & Customs to become a UK REIT.
Jersey > Commercial property Tier 1Bedell Cristin has an impressive client roster of financial institutions and major Jersey developers. serviced by a team of property law veterans. The group is active across the real estate space, with particular focuses on development, acquisitions and disposals, secured lending, construction and commercial leasing. Heading the department is Jeff O’Boyle, praised by one client as ‘great technically, commercially focused and excellent with clients‘. O’Boyle often works alongside associate Hannah Robinson, who is increasingly active for medium-sized residential and mixed-use projects, as well as landlord-tenant work and portfolio management issues. Tim Pearce is the name to note for property finance.
Other key lawyers:
Tim Pearce; Hannah Robinson
‘A professional team that explained the process and costings throughout to make the transaction as seamless as possible’
‘Jeff O’Boyle is highly recommended. Great technically, commercially focused and excellent with clients. Hannah Robinson also stands out as being very efficient and client focused.’
‘Good knowledge of the Jersey property market, very quick and efficient, the team gets the deals done with the minimum of stress.’
‘Hannah Robinson – her commercial leases are outstanding, as are her negotiations on behalf of her Clients.’
‘Very responsive and can turn documents around very quickly, using an automated process.’
‘Jeff and Hannah, in particular, take on each challenge with a high degree of professionalism but also good humour. They provide solutions to the issues that arise and are pragmatic.’
‘They are very personable, knowledgeable and undertake work in the time frame they state at the outset. They have introduced a system that produces a lease very quickly. They are pragmatic and don’t get bogged down in traditional lawyer point scoring’
‘Jeff O’Boyle and Hannah Robinson are extremely knowledgeable and give clear concise advice. They are pragmatic which is refreshing. They also respond in a timely manner and don’t point score.’
C Le Masurier
Andium Homes Limited
Santander Bank Plc
Royal Bank of Scotland International
JT (Jersey) Limited
Produce Investments Plc
St Saviours Realty
- Advised Le Masurier on a major regeneration project in St Helier which will include c.240 residential apartments, a 100 room premium hotel and a number of commercial units.
- Adviser to Andium Homes, acting on all Andium’s sales of affordable housing.
‘Nancy and the team are very personable, approachable and helpful. They will always try to find workable solutions to any problems presented. The team is diverse and well placed to cater for Asian clients; something that other law firms are lacking.’
‘Nancy Chien is consistently fantastic! She is practical and possesses commercial awareness which puts her at the forefront amongst her peers.’
‘This team has deep intellectual firepower and that’s why I use them. They think “out of the box” and actively look for practical solutions to complex problems. They are my “go to ” team on any legal issue that we may require advice on. On top of that they are lovely people to deal with!’
‘Edward Bennett – Quality through and through. He is measured in his approach, always accurate and super bright! Nancy Chien – Super quick to react and always on target with her advice.’
‘Edward Bennett has tremendous experience and is skilled at finding the right solutions and giving practical advice. Nancy Chien is highly energetic and well connected in Singapore and Dubai. She brings cultural awareness to her advice’
‘Bedell Cristin has perhaps the strongest pedigree in Jersey, which has been periodically refreshed by high quality recruits.’
‘Nancy Chien is a total expert on international trusts. Kirsten Brass is a relative newcomer but has quickly found her feet. Elizabeth Shaw is a solid analyst.’
Other key lawyers:
‘Strength in depth and BC have a good knowledge of their local markets.’
‘Kate Ovenden is a strong lead as managing partner and Dylan Latimer is responsive and good to work with’
The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited
National Westminster Bank plc
Santander UK plc
Antares Capital LP
Barclays Bank plc
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc
- Advised (as lead counsel) The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited on the financing of the development of a site including Guernsey’s first Premier Inn, followed by a subsequent restructuring, including the sale of part of the site comprising an office building to be occupied by Bank Julius Baer.
- Advised Arrow Global Guernsey Holdings plc and Sherwood Financing plc on the sale of Arrow Global Group plc for £563 million and related financing.
- Advised Arrow Global Guernsey Limited on a “tap” issue of its existing high yield bond, by way of private placement.
Guernsey > Corporate and M&A Tier 2Clients describe the team at Bedell Cristin variously as 'straight-talking" and 'responsive and innovative'. The team handles all aspects of corporate and commercial law, leveraging expertise in banking and finance, regulatory issues and insurance sector knowledge to assist with a wide variety of transactions in Guernsey. The team is led by managing partner Kate Ovenden who is prolific in M&A transactions, where she also brings to bear her expertise in finance. Richard Sharp is a stalwart of the team, focusing on the insurance space, while Dylan Latimer is the name to note for deals involving private equity funds. Joining from Ogier in January 2022, senior associate James Walsh adds to the firm's M&A capabilities with his experience in advising acquirers, targets, investment banks and investors.
‘Able to provide clear and commercial advice in short timescales.’
‘Kate Ovenden is responsive and hugely knowledgeable. Kate gave clear advice on a matter and was able to offer sensible, innovative and workable solutions to last minute issues which arose.’
‘I have worked with Richard Sharp on several restructuring projects over the last couple of years. Richard has an excellent knowledge of the history/structure of our company and of the shareholding structure. With this knowledge, Richard has been able to devise solutions and give sound advice, which has enabled us to achieve our overall objectives.’
‘The team at Bedell are always responsive and innovative. We have had excellent service on new corporate agreements and associated negotiations with our regulator. Our lead partner has managed to recruit and retain a team that seems stable and is aware of our business.’
‘‘Kate Ovenden. Super commercial and able to bring both buy and sell side experience into her advice’
‘Straight talking, I know where I stand and what my options are very early on.’
‘In Richard Sharp we have found a trusted partner for our corporate legal work. Straight talking and no nonsense approach enables us to make better informed and insightful decisions in a timely manner.’
Ocorian Services Limited
Prudential Financial, Inc
Digital UK Limited
Oryx Real Estate Partners (UK) Limited
Shawbrook Bank Limited
- Advised Ocorian Services Limited (as lead counsel) on its acquisition of Trust Corporation, one of the most significant M&A transactions in Guernsey in 2021.
- Advised on the sale of Arrow Global Group plc to TDR Capital LLP, in the amount of £563 million and related financing.
- Advised Digital UK Limited on a detailed competition law analysis and application for merger consent in relation to its acquisition of Freesat from the BBC and ITV.
Other key lawyers:
Jon Barclay; Robert Fullman; Rebecca Hale; Cassie Wade
‘Jon Barclay – excellent judgment, knowledge and experience. The best on the Island.’
‘Rob Fullman has excellent knowledge and is clear and precise in his dealings with me (as the client) and with the Court.’
‘Main work recently has been with with Jon Barclay and Rebecca Hale who are always a pleasure to work with on any matter any I would repeat the above comments regarding the team. Both approachable, knowledgeable and provide clear, logical advice based on the situation at hand.’
‘Bedell have an excellent private client disputes practice in Guernsey, Jersey and the Cayman Islands but have recently expanded into Singapore. They are a cost effective alternative to the offshore magic circle teams.’
‘David Cadin is a highly experienced and knowledgeable litigator on Jersey regulatory matters, familiar with the local politics as well as regulatory and competition issues.’
‘The team provides a focused, energetic and forward thinking response to diverse problems.’
‘Alasdair Davidson is a stand-out individual. He is very experienced and very well respected in Guernsey and the wider Offshore network. He is a safe pair of hands and knows how to read the Court. Provides excellent advice and knows how to address issues in a practical way.’
‘Bedells remain a leading light in a number of key jurisdictions around the world and feature in many of the very biggest cases. They have a powerful Channel Islands offering and increasingly appear in large matters in many of the other major jurisdictions as well.’
Trustee of the Madoff Estate
Dutch Revenue Service
Charles Russell Speechly
Kent and Reliance Building Society
- Defending claims brought against Costas Kyriakides, former CFO by liquidators with sums sought in excess of US$1 billion.
- Securing urgent freezing orders for New World across the globe in support of a fraud claim exceeding US$2 billion
Jersey > Banking and finance Tier 2Bedell Cristin‘s team advises a strong selection of lenders on acquisition finance transactions, with a particular specialism in real estate finance. The team is led by Alasdair Hunter , who is well-known to US and European investment banks, asset managers and credit funds, as well as handling enforcement, restructuring and insolvency issues. Tim Pearce chairs the global banking and finance practice at the firm, assisting borrowers and lenders. Mark Dunlop is knowledgeable in financial products. Senior associate Malcolm Ellis is known for a variety of deals including syndicated facilities and property financings.
Other key lawyers:
‘Seamless processes, quick to respond, collaborates well with other legal firms to ensure completion of transactions in a timely manner.’
‘Personable and clear with advice. Always a great service provided. Tim Pearce is exceptional.’
‘The team at Bedells is ultra reliable and communicative when working on matters with us. We always know the exact position we are at on a matter and we can discuss our requirements at the outset knowing that they are efficient, our clients like them and the matter will proceed to completion within the relevant timescales.’
‘We have worked with other offshore firms and find Bedells much more approachable, more readily accessible and commercial in their approach to our matters. Specifically we use Antony Clerehugh for Jersey work and Louise Hassell and Philip Kendal for BVI matters. We have a great working relationship with all these people and rarely look elsewhere for quotes etc.’
‘The banking (REF) team is a pleasure to deal with, timely in giving advice and responses and share a good number of client relationships in common with us.’
‘Tim Pearce, Louise Hassell and Antony Clerehugh are notable for good service.’
‘The Bedells team are extremely commercial – they are well matched with our practice as they are entirely focused on problem solving. I also appreciate their flexible approach on fees and billing.’
‘It is always a pleasure to deal with the Bedells team. They are always helpful and they are up for a challenge.’
Barclays Bank PLC
C. Le Masurier
Santander UK plc
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited
Aareal Bank AG
Ares Management Limited
The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited t/a NatWest International
The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited
- Advised Barclays Bank in connection with a c£2bn financing to Constellation Automotive’s which owns brands such as British Car Auctions and WeBuyAnyCar.
- Advised RBSI on its financing of the Jersey Pottery group.
- Advised OCBC on the transition of its loan book from LIBOR to SONIA.
‘The team at Bedell Cristin provide accurate and timely advice in what can quite often be time sensitive matters providing commercially sensible solutions.’
‘Guy and and Natasha provide excellent and timely advice, recommending solutions to unique problems faced by a telecommunications company and guiding us through complex transactions that are quote often extremely time sensitive.’
‘The Bedell Christin team were instrumental in our Company’s successful fundraise via a ‘cash box placing’. The responsiveness, professionalism and attention to detail of the Bedell Christin team helped ensure that the transaction went without a hitch and all the relevant meetings, legalities and documents were completed in a timely and professional manner.’
‘Sara Johns at Bedell Christin was our primary contact during the transaction and personified responsiveness, professionalism and attention to detail.’
‘Sara Johns is always responsive and gives pragmatic clear advice.’
CVC Capital Partners
Quadrise Fuels International plc
- Advised JT Global and its management team on the sale of a majority stake in JT’s ‘internet of things’ business to Perwyn.
- Advised CVC on its £250 million acquisition of a majority stake in leading British holiday park operator, Away Resorts, from Freshstream.
- Advised Atos SA on its acquisition of Cloudreach, a leading multi-cloud tech services company.
Dispute resolution Tier 2The litigation department at Bedell Cristin mainly handles big-ticket commercial litigation, trust disputes and contentious and non-contentious insolvencies. It is also regularly instructed in shareholder disputes. Robert Gardner is the practice head and an experienced trial advocate, as is former managing partner David Cadin . Edward Drummond is a commercial litigator, also focusing on regulatory and compliance work. Robert Christie and associate Sonia Shah have substantial contentious trusts experience between them, while associate Sonia Minns has recent experience in unfair prejudice claims.
‘Bobby Christie is the partner and main fee earner working on the matter. He is outstanding as an advocate, gives clear and practical advice, and does so very promptly. First class.’
‘Good dispute resolution capabilities across the board.’
‘Willingness to ‘go the extra mile’. Very user friendly.’
‘Very good on asset tracing and enforcement.’
‘Bobby Christie has been fantastic. Very easy to work with and very good strategically.’
‘The partners are well versed in many aspects of dispute resolution including commercial trust and insolvency. They give concise advice and will inform you if your case lacks sufficient merit or is otherwise flawed thus saving one from expensive litigation which you could well lose.’
‘Rob Gardner is a font of knowledge when it comes to Jersey Insolvency law and he is an engaging thoughtful individual who can be humorous in the face of adversity.’
‘Good commercial judgement always lead by the Partner on all matters.’
Creditors Committee – Purdue Pharma LP
Traynor as liquidators of BetIndex
Adeem Investment Holding Company KSCH
JSC Commercial Bank Privat Bank
Insurance Corp of the C I Ltd / States of Jersey
Rysaffe Fiduciaries S.à.r.l .
Sakab Saudi Holdings Limited
Cristi a na
Dominion (Film Schemes / Sundax )
New World TMT Limited
- Acting for the Begbies Traynor liquidators of Betindex Limited.
Edward Drummond; Martin Paul
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm has struck me as one of the leading litigation offshore firms in Jersey. Their reputation precedes them.’
‘Ed Drummond has an encyclopaedic knowledge of Jersey insolvency law and litigation. He is always on top of the detail and thinking five steps ahead on the cases which we have used him on.’
- Represented JT in a case involving an anti-competitive agreement entered into between JT and Sure (the incumbent telecommunications operators in Jersey and Guernsey respectively) in 2019. That agreement was the subject of investigations by the Jersey Competition Regulatory Authority (JCRA) and the Guernsey Competition Regulatory Authority (GCRA).
- Providing Santander with practical and commercial legal advice in real time as to regulatory, AML and other queries that arise in the course of its banking business.
- Representing JSC Commercial Bank Privat Bank in a claim it brought against its former owners alleging that prior to its nationalisation in 2016, it was subjected to large-scale fraudulent schemes.
Jersey > Investment funds Tier 2Bedell Cristin has broad funds expertise, spanning expertise in fund formation, investment syndicates, club deals, as well as the regulation of funds and their transactions. The team is instructed by fund managers, administrators, banks and investors at every stage of a fund’s existence. Real estate funds and deals a particular strength, and the firm counts investment managers, institutional and sovereign wealth investors as clients in this respect. The private equity practice is also active. Martin Paul leads the department and is a veteran of the funds space. Richard Le Liard focuses on venture capital and private equity, advising on fund establishment and regulatory compliance. Counsel Stephen Ferguson has expertise in shariah-compliant funds. Senior associate Louise Ridgway is well-known with fund manager clients.
‘Richard Le Liard is an exceptionally good Jersey private funds lawyer, who is both technically very capable and commercially very pragmatic. He engages with clients and instructing solicitors alike and ensures that he fully understands the desired outcomes and how these might be achieved in any given scenario.’
Alicorn Global Ventures
Zedra Fiduciary Investment Fund
- Advised Alicorn Global Ventures as lead counsel on the design and implementation of a ground-breaking new venture capital fund platform. Believed to be the only one of its kind, the Alicorn ILGS II Fund combines features of a traditional collective investment fund with an enhanced and embedded co-investment optionality.
- Acted as lead counsel to George Capital on their Jersey-domiciled real estate funds and other investment structures; advising on investments and divestments, refinancings and Fund extensions.
- Acting as lead counsel to the Zedra Fiduciary Investment Fund on ongoing matters arising in connection with the Fund, a Jersey regulated equity/bond fund established as an OCIF (an unclassified fund offered to the public).
Offshore firms in London Tier 2Singled out for its ‘commercial pragmatism’, Bedell Cristin’s London based financial services practice has a track record acting exclusively in Jersey law transactions, covering investment funds, corporate finance work and debt equity listings. Jointly managed by Bruce Scott, who is highlighted as an ‘absolute star’, and Tom Davies, who handles corporate real estate deals, the wider team includes senior associate Adam Bartels who handles borrower side financing transactions and Nkechi Hokstad who advises on acquisitions. ‘Excellent associate’ Daniel McAviney is rated by clients for his expertise in energy transactions and has demonstrable strength advising on bonds and loan notes for large US private equity houses.
Bruce Scott; Tom Davies
‘Bedell Cristin have been extremely loyal and dependable in the service they have provided to us. Their clear approach, responsiveness and reliability is greatly appreciated by the team here. I have also found Bedell Cristin a pleasure to deal with in terms of fee quotes and scope. They are good value for money and always show a commercial understanding of the business constraints and need for certainty. Their approach is refreshing (and, frankly, unusual)! We wouldn’t instruct another law firm for Jersey advice if Bedell Cristin are available to act.’
‘Bruce Scott – very pleasant to deal with, friendly, warm, commercial and responsive. Both a nice man and a good lawyer. Nkechi Hokstad is our go-to contact and has been very supportive of our business. She gets things done without any hassle. Nkechi is reliable, she has a great commercial approach and she is very easy to deal with.’
‘Bruce Scott is an absolute star. He is quite simply amazing to work with. We struggle to work with anybody else on his type of work.’
‘The Bedell Cristin team are incredibly user friendly, proactive and capable across the biggest transactions. What stands out most is the commercial pragmatism they bring to their advice – they are a solution orientated team that delivers time and again.’
‘Daniel McAviney is an excellent associate, and someone on which I can rely to produce high quality work and under time pressure. Dan clearly has great commercial awareness, and is able to understand the key concepts of a transaction, and the offshore work involved, in a short amount of time which is a key asset given these transactions are often operating on very tight timeframes. Dan is knowledgeable about energy transactions generally, and also on the key features of offshore law that apply to a particular deal. Dan is responsive and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Daniel McAviney is always super responsive and combines being commercial with great technical advice. Feels like a very safe pair of hands and always hits the deadlines he’s set. Bruce Scott is similarly always readily available and always has a good handle on his matters.’
‘Bruce Scott and Nkechi Hokstad are definitely stand-out members of the team. They are highly responsive and nothing is too much trouble. They are commercial, pragmatic and very hard working. They have a very strong understanding of wider deal issues, and bring to bear their considerable experience in a sensible and valuable way.’
‘Great team; always very responsive, be it in response to ad hoc questions or to substantive issues on live matters. The fact they cover all of the Channel Islands with good integration between their offices is a very obvious bonus.’
AXA Real Estate
Barrick Gold Corporation
Cindat Capital Management
Deutsche Finance International
Exeter Property Group
Global Student Accommodation
Harrison Street Real Estate Capital
iQ Student Accommodation
M&G Investment Management
Oryx Real Estate Partners
Permodalan Nasional Berhad
PGIM Real Estate
Secure Income REIT plc
The Scottish Salmon Company PLC
Unite Students / The Unite Group Plc
Urbanest Student Accommodation
Vitruvian Partners LLP
- Advised PGIM (circa $1.5tn AUM) in relation to its acquisition of Montana Capital Partners AG.
- Advised Blackstone (and/or funds administered by Blackstone) on over £2.5bn of corporate real estate acquisitions and sales and accompanying financings and re-financings of similar levels and in relation to their £10bn Euro Medium Term Note Programme.
- Advised BentallGreenOak as manager of West End of London Property Unit Trust in connection with the £1bn development of the UK’s largest all-electric net-zero carbon office scheme at 105 Victoria Street in central London.
Guernsey > Investment funds Tier 3Bedell Cristin combines expertise in funds, real estate and corporate law to advise on fund administration, regulation and transactions. The practice is led by Dylan Latimer, whose recent instructions include assisting real estate investment funds with the sale and acquisition of commercial property and clean energy funds on their investments into green projects and ESG-related regulation.
Pollen Street Capital
Catalyst Investment Management (Guernsey) Limited
Schroder Real Estate Investment Trust Limited
- Advised Catalyst MENA Clean Energy Fund in relation to two new solar projects in Egypt. We have also advised on the restricting of investor drawdowns, the extension of the investment period, management fees, and changes in the global tax compliance and consequential changes to ESG standards in investor side letters. We are also mandated to act in connection with the upcoming second fund.
- Advised (as lead counsel) long standing global fund administration client, Ocorian Services Limited on its acquisition of Trust Corporation, a Guernsey licensed fund administrator and fiduciary services provider.
- Provided Guernsey legal advice to Schroder Real Estate Investment Trust Limited, an authorised closed ended fund listed on the London Stock Exchange on an ongoing basis.
Jersey > Employment Tier 3Bedell Cristin kickstarted its standalone pan-Channel Islands employment practice in May 2021, with the arrival of Carly Parrott from Carey Olsen to the Guernsey office. Parrott handles employment matters in Jersey, including in relation to contentious issues. Heather Watters is another name to note for contentious employment matters.
Other key lawyers:
- Providing advice to JT Group on the full spectrum of employment matters including the exit of senior and junior level staff, advising on the restructuring of operations, data protection and health and safety matters, dealing with staff absences, capability and conduct issues and policy re-drafting.
- Assisted a multi-national consultancy and construction company in the transfer of employees from England to Jersey and the set-up of operations in Jersey as part of the Jersey Hospital Project.
- Advised one of the largest agricultural employers in Jersey on a myriad of issues including defending a number of tribunal claims, re-drafting their employment related documentation for salaried, seasonal and contract workers and advising on the re-structuring their seasonal working arrangements.
Bedell Cristin > Firm Profile
Bedell Cristin is a leading offshore law firm with an international focus, operating from Jersey, Guernsey, London, BVI and Singapore. Acting for a wide range of clients, from financial institutions, multinationals, large corporates and high-net-worth individuals, to regulatory bodies, government agencies and private investors. The firm has been providing expert legal advice to the offshore banking and finance industry since the 1960s.
Bedell Cristin’s size, international outlook and strategic positioning mean it is capable of handling legal advice for complex cross-jurisdictional transactions in key finance centres. The firm specialises in banking, corporate finance, structured finance, insurance, international private client, investment funds and private equity, insurance, commercial litigation, restructuring and insolvency, regulatory advice and real estate investment transactions.
The firm: The firm has an extensive blue-chip client base, including: Adveq Management, Aviva Investors, Axa Real Estate Investment Managers, Cromwell Property Group, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Barclays Bank, BlackRock Investment Management, Cerberus European Investments, Citigroup, Credit Agricole, Deutsche Asset Management, DZ Bank, Welltower, Inc., Ethos Partners, Family Offices, Goldman Sachs, Green Oak, Harrison Street, HSBC, IK Investment Partners, Legal and General, Lombard Odier, Morgan Stanley, Pacific Equity Partners, Permodalan Nasional Berhad, PGIM, Secure Income REIT, Sovereign Wealth Funds Trustees, Tishman Speyer, UBS, UHNW families, UNITE Group Plc and Westfield.
Types of work undertaken
Banking and corporate: advice is provided to banks in Guernsey, and Guernsey law advice and legal opinions are provided to banks, investment houses and multinationals globally. The firm also advises on Guernsey elements of international M&A transactions, joint venture arrangements, shareholders’ agreements/arrangements, and acquisitions/disposals of Guernsey companies.
Investment funds and private equity group: this group focuses on the establishment of pooled investment structures qualifying as public collective investment funds or non-public collective investment schemes, and private equity funds. Sponsorship and listing services in connection with the International Stock Exchange Group Limited are available through Bedell Channel Islands Limited, which is a category 1 sponsorship member of the TISE.
Insurance and reinsurance: the firm provides advice on all aspects of Guernsey insurance markets including insurance, reinsurance, captives, PCCs, ICCs, and segregated cell companies. The group has some of the leading practitioners in the field and regularly contributes to publications on cutting-edge changes to the law, as well as having considerable experience in advising leading companies in this sector.
Litigation: the firm’s litigation practice offers a full range of litigation, dispute resolution and insolvency services. Particular growth has taken place in contentious trust and regulatory work. Other key work areas include banking, insolvency and asset tracing.
International private client: this group provides specialist trust and related corporate law advice to individuals and institutional clients on wealth preservation and management, employee and executive share incentive schemes, foundations, bespoke trust drafting, the restructuring of assets held in trust, and advice to fiduciaries.
Other offices: BVI, Cayman Islands, Jersey, London, Singapore
|Managing partner||Kate Ovenden|
|Corporate and commercial||Kate Ovenden|
|Corporate and commercial||Richard Sharp|
|Funds and private equity||Kate Ovenden|
|Funds and private equity||Richard Sharp|
|Capital markets, securitisation and structured finance||Kate Ovenden|
|Dispute resolution||Alasdair Davidson|
|Dispute resolution||Jon Barclay|
|International private client||Alasdair Davidson|
|Jon Barclay||Jon is a Partner in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution team. Jon…||View Profile|
|Alasdair Davidson||Alasdair is a partner and the head of the litigation team and the…||View Profile|
|Mark Helyar||Mark’s position is Of CounselMark has a particular specialisation in the use…||View Profile|
|Kate Ovenden||Kate is the Managing Partner based in the Guernsey office. Kate joined…||View Profile|
|Richard Sharp||Richard is a Partner and heads up the Guernsey office’s insurance and…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of partners : 21 Number of other fee-earners : 72
- Banking and finance
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Banking and finance
- Corporate and commercial
- Dispute resolution
- Dispute resolution > Regulatory and white-collar crime
- Investment funds
- Offshore firms in London