Excello Law > Liverpool, England > Firm Profile
Excello Law Offices
ONE DERBY SQUARE
Excello Law > The Legal 500 RankingsExcello Law deal with a range of commercial disputes covering a breadth of areas with a focus on company, shareholder, partnership, insolvency and contractual matters. Emyr Kerfoot acts for local companies, solicitors, accountants and private individuals on partnership and insolvency issues. He co-heads the team with Alexandra Collett who represents manufacturers, e-commerce retailers and hospitality venues. Both are primarily based in the Chester area.
Alexandra Collett; Emyr Kerfoot
‘Pragmatic and client focused team based in Chester. Modern and well equipped offices.’
‘Emyr Kerfoot is a robust but pragmatic litigator. Alexandra Collett is careful and very client focused.’
‘Emyr Kerfoot is a very able and shrewd commercial litigator, with particular expertise in shareholder and partnership matters. He is pragmatic, commercial and client-oriented and sees litigation as just one means of achieving his client’s business objectives. He is a good friend to clients and a match for any opponent.’
‘The team at Excello provide an exemplary service which at all times has a really personal approach. They are very responsive to communication and also really clear with advice, expert knowledge and direction. An excellent firm which I would strongly recommend.’
‘Emyr and Alex are both very approachable whilst at the same time maintaining a high level of professionalism. Both have the ability to make a client feel at ease and confident in the advice and service that they provide. They make for an excellent team.’
‘My experience with Excello law was refreshingly good. Unlike other practices, they understood my case very quickly and concisely and were very cooperative in adapting my extensive notes efficiently into comprehensive arguments which contained no “boiler plate” whatsoever.’
‘The individuals I work with are easy to contact on the telephone, respond very promptly to emails and some how manage to sum up the evidence in logically powerful and concise way without omission of even the small, yet pertinent, corroborating facts.’
- Acted for clients facing unfair prejudice proceedings.
Dominic McGinn; Sarah Nolan
‘Work collaboratively as a team with different areas of expertise and bring in appropriate specialist advice, e.g. from counsel, surveyors, planning experts etc. Very customer and result focused.’
‘All very knowledgeable, very friendly and approachable and with good people skills and customer relationships.’
‘The individuals are self-motivated and attentive to the clients, and I’ve noticed work being passed between persons more suitable, so despite their decentralised model, they work well as a team.’
‘Sarah Nolan stands out as exceptional. She is excellent at putting her clients at ease, and she understands very well the division of labour between solicitor and barrister. She is unusually effective to work with.’
‘Sarah Nolan was committed to achieving the best outcome and took the time to give attention to the detail required whilst retaining a view of the bigger picture. Her advice was central to securing the outcome.’
World Sports Advisers S.L
Apollo Care (Franchising) Limited
Parkin S Booth Ltd
Atlas Business Group of Companies Limited
China Information Corporation (UK) Limited
Multi Connex Network Limited
- Acted for 6 minority shareholders (including the founder and ex CEO) in unfair prejudice proceedings brought against private equity investors/shareholders in a multi-million-pound technology company.
- Acted for a distributor on the defence of a £2 million pounds claim by a manufacturer and a cross claim for damages for four million pounds.
- Acted for the coaching staff of an ex-premier league club in a claim for damages of £1.8 million against the club.
Private client > Family Tier 3At Excello Law, Swati Somaiya, an ‘excellent solicitor with a vast amount of experience and knowledge’ primarily deals with divorces and dissolution of civil partnerships, financial settlements and matters affecting children. She is particularly well known for handling cases involving business interests, overseas assets, property, large pension funds and third-party loans and trusts.
‘Swati Somaiya’s technical knowledge is excellent and has a very good manner with clients.’
‘Swati Somaiya – Attentive, sympathetic, professional, kind, supportive. She gave practical sensible advice and supported me throughout the whole process I cannot recommend her highly enough.’
‘Total focus on the needs of the client with empathy, understanding and professionalism.’
‘Swati Somaiya, an exceptional solicitor, focused, experienced, a soft touch when needed but exceptionally commercial and determined to achieve the best outcome for her client. Client first, understanding, an iron fist in a velvet glove.’
‘Excello Law are a vibrant and dynamic firm that provide excellent value for money. Meeting each individual client’s needs is a priority for them, and they strive to achieve the confidence and trust of their clients.’
‘I would highly recommend Swati Somaiya. She is an excellent solicitor, with a vast amount of experience and knowledge. She provides sharp and insightful advice and works extremely hard for her clients. In an extremely competitive sector, clients are able to rely on her honest and proportionate advice. She strives to provide clients with the most efficient and cost effective outcome at all times. As counsel, she is a pleasure to work with. She is very much a team player and provides me comprehensive and in depth support.’
‘Swati Somaiya but know via the local family law community that Excello Law has a very good and strong reputation that is highly regarded. They prides themselves in providing the highest level of service to all clients across the board and invest lawyers that are experts in their field and come form a diverse background – promoting a culture of collaboration in an high performing innovative environment.’
‘Very quick on its feet; we dealt with engaged senior people at all times; first-class specialist industry knowledge.’
‘Richard Osborn has been an exceptionally good partner since we were introduced to him a few months ago. His responsiveness and proactive approach are excellent; his commercial awareness, negotiation skills, energy and common sense have been consistently top drawer.’
University of Leicester
Seven Capital PLC
Village Partnerships Limited
Bespoke Construction Services Limited
Modus Partnerships Limited
Blyth Group (Paragon Living Space, H2B Homes & H2B Investments)
GNM Developments Ltd
Eagle Rock Investments Limited
GL Consultants Limited
Cambridge & Counties Bank Limited
- Advising University of Leicester on all aspects of their £70m Space Park Leicester Project, now completed on Phase 2 and imminently starting work on Phase 3.
- Advising Paragon Living Space Limited on the £40m redevelopment of the former Sunbeam Car Factory site in Wolverhampton.
- Advising Modus Partnerships Limited on a number of social housing developments in Leicestershire for various Registered Providers.
David Greenhalgh; Hina Belitz
Other key lawyers:
Sarah King; Nelu Abeygunasekera
‘David Greenhalgh is an extremely skilled practitioner. He combines honed practical advice with a razor-sharp strategic outlook. The go-to employment lawyer for senior executives.’
‘Sarah King stands out. She is very calm under pressure, resourceful, fights hard for her clients and is very well respected.’
‘Above all, the team’s unwavering dedication to achieving a positive outcome was remarkable. The team fights tirelessly for the best interests and adapts to changing circumstances with resilience and determination.’
‘Hina Belitz is approachable and easy to get along with, and at the top of her game. She has a great understanding of the law. She is robust when needed, but able to put clients at ease.’
‘Nelu Abeygunasekera was extremely warm, interested and effective.’
- Acted for a senior HR client who worked for a charity who was disabled within the meaning of the Equality Act but was being threatened to sign a settlement agreement or be dismissed for gross misconduct.
- Advising a CEO aged over 65 on age discrimination issues and negotiated high-value settlements after he was exited solely due to his age.
- Assisted a Senior Software Product Manager in a global firm with a difficult exit allegedly linked to sex and nationality discrimination, amongst other things.
‘Dom McGinn – high quality and high value international football work from South America. He has taken on the best London firms and won.’
World Sports Advisers S.L
Former Watford FC Football Coaching Staff
Europa Point Football Club
Laco Investments Limited
Steve Thomas; Anna Shaw
‘Very flexible and creative, great for director work, a good all-round team.’
‘Steve Thomas is an exceptionally bright partner, fabulous in difficult cases.’
‘Anna Shaw is a very good lawyer in the team.’
‘Adaptive, reactive and solutions focused.’
‘Steve Thomas is a highly experienced, solutions focussed and knowledgeable solicitor in the insolvency and restructuring space. His ability to get to the nub of the issue quickly is key to driving good commercial solutions.’
Quantuma Advisory LLP
Independent Tax LLP
Flexible Accounting Ltd
Park Homes Ltd
Ellis Breese Insolvency
Wine & Co Chartered Accountants
‘Lesley Smythe is an experienced, highly capable and client focused solicitor who exudes confidence. She ensures her clients receive an exceptional service.’
- Advising a husband in respect to a family dispute regarding the respondent wife’s interest in a substantial family trust and her involvement with the family business – worth around £34 million – and its relevance to the overall settlement.
- Acting for a wife in respect to her divorce and finance proceedings which involved a pre-nuptial agreement which we understand our client signed under duress and within days of the wedding.
- Advising a man in respect to a particularly contentious financial remedy application, made by his spouse, concerning an extensive matrimonial pot worth approximately £3 million and involving a complex family dispute affecting the family trust and international property.
Other key lawyers:
‘The most impressive aspect of Excello Law is that the practice is comprised of solely partner-level solicitors, so the advice you get is always of the best quality and the work turnaround is much quicker as the partner is always fully up-to-speed with the matter’.
‘Vanessa Williams. She stood out for her legal acumen and her ‘can do’ attitude. She was available to us as required, was happy to explain as well as draft, and took the time to really understand what we wanted rather than rely on precedents. The turnaround was exceptional’.
‘Sue Boyall is an excellent solicitor, serving the charity sector with in depth knowledge of the governance and financial context in which they operate’.
‘Excello have the knowledge needed for Trustees of a charity to make the best decisions. Vanessa Williams has a great manner and patience in helping the process of setting up changes for the charity. Sue Boyall was also really helpful’.
‘Excello as a team are very responsive. The team are professional, competent and take time to explain the legalese. Vanessa is always very approachable, clear in her advice and analysis, patient in explaining it and takes time to understand our particular circumstances’.
‘Sue Boyall- I find her extraordinary. The qualities that I most value are Sue’s calmness and clarity and the ability to explain to people far less knowledgeable than her what is required and why’.
‘Vanessa Williams. Friendly approach, understanding of the situation.’
‘Vanessa Williams delivered exactly what we wanted and accepted that, as a charity, we did not want a standard legal document but something bespoke to our situation’.
Little Theatre (Leicester)
MCKS Charitable Foundation UK
The Children’s Research Fund
Thames Reach Charity
Sunbury and Walton Sea Cadets
Ethical Property Foundation
Royal Court Liverpool Trust Limited
Bishops Waltham Youth Hall
Royal Court Liverpool Limited
- Advised a long-standing charity on its dissolution.
- Advised MCKS Charity Foundation UK on the acquisition of assets from another not-for-profit entity.
- Advised on the consolidation of three ancient charitable trusts into a single new CIO.
Employment > Employers Tier 6Excello Law, known for its work representing senior executives, also has a growing employer side practice, covering internal issues such as ongoing HR advice and senior executive investigations and exits, as well as supporting on transactional matters including TUPE advice. The firm also has notable litigation capability through Hina Belitz, who has a strong record before employment tribunals, the EAT and High Court. Further key names include the experienced David Greenhalgh, manufacturing and engineering sector expert Nelu Abeygunasekera and Sarah King, who is also an employment judge.
David Greenhalgh; Hina Belitz
Other key lawyers:
Nelu Abeygunasekera; Sarah King
‘Hina Belitz and her team at Excello Law always go above and beyond to deliver an excellent bespoke client service, tailored to our needs. The firm has an excellent response time, and a wide-ranging team of experts across different legal areas, making Excello Law very much a one-stop provider.’
‘Hina Belitz is a true expert in employment law, and always provides us with excellent advice and support, going beyond the normal expectations of a client-firm relationship. We also benefit from the regular legal updates she and her team produce, keeping us informed of relevant developments in the field.’
‘Very commercial , grounded and with bags of common sense .’
‘David Greenhalgh is an absolute star – a highly client focused solicitor with a practical , commercial and approachable style. David is, as well as having years of expedience still passionate about his area of law – so lots of addend value through his considerable commentary and helpful insights.’
‘I was extremely impressed by the wholistic approach to addressing my legal needs.’
‘They are always very clear on timelines and possible outcomes, and able to adapt to the flexibility needed by a startup. They are not afraid to express their opinions and provide precise and understandable advice.’
‘Hina Belitz is precise, knowledgeable and able to adapt to different situations and individuals. She manages to explain complex procedures in a way that makes them understandable to non-lawyers, and is able to address complex situations while remaining calm and keeping her attention to detail.’
‘Nelu Abeygunasekera was extremely professional, knowledgeable, and helped my company through a difficult employee matter.’
Suzy Lamplugh Trust
- Designed and delivered banter awareness training to all managers at Reach PLC in conjunction with external HR specialist.
- Advising SafeWorkPlace on design of HR app product intended to reduce employment law risk.
- Providing private equity houses JRJ Group and TPA Capital with employment law advice for their investment portfolio businesses.
Excello Law > Firm Profile
Founded in 2009, Excello Law is a national law firm providing a more dynamic, forward-thinking and independent environment in which to practise for experienced, senior commercial lawyers.
We have a team of 130+ partner-level lawyers, with an average post-qualification experience of 19 years, supported by a central business services team of 30. They work across all aspects of commercial, family and private client law advising national corporates, SMEs, owner-managed businesses and entrepreneurial start-ups across a wide range of industry sectors.
The firm has ten UK offices – London (Chancery Lane, Bishopsgate and West London), Birmingham, Leicester, Stoke-on-Trent, Chester, Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds.
We were one of the first law firms to pioneer the revenue share consultancy model. The model reduces overhead costs and uses leading-edge technology to give freedom to lawyers and provide better value legal services to clients.
Benefits to clients
- A senior legal team ready to advise and support clients with their commercial legal needs
- Relieved from the constraints and pressures of law firm politics and central targets, each lawyer is 100% focused on the needs of their own clients and personally owns and develops that relationship
- Commitment to providing commercial value
- The ability to engineer corporate business solutions from a totally client centric perspective – ‘you tell us what you want, we provide exactly that’
- A totally transparent financial model that allows clients to manage legal spend from a cash flow perspective without surprise
Supporting our lawyers is Excello 360 – the firm’s in-house business services support team – which manages all aspects of administrative, compliance, marketing and IT support.
|0845 257 9449
Staff FiguresPartner lawyers : 185+ Support staff : 40
LanguagesEnglish French Arabic Cantonese German
OtherUK offices : London, Birmingham, Leicester, Stoke-on-Trent, Chester, Nottingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the North West
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Liverpool
- Private client > Family
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the East Midlands
- Employment > Senior executives
- Public sector > Health
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit