Norton Rose Fulbright > Beijing, China > Firm Profile
Norton Rose Fulbright Offices
19/F CHINA WORLD TOWER
NO.1 JIANGUOMENWAI AVE
Norton Rose Fulbright > The Legal 500 RankingsNorton Rose Fulbright is noted for its wealth of experience in acting for the major financial institutions and insurance and asset management companies operating in the region, including AIG, Allianz, AXA and HSBC. Covering the full spectrum of insurance and reinsurance contentious and non-contentious work, the practice is regularly instructed on M&A, strategic investments, warranty and indemnity matters, data privacy and cybersecurity issues and joint ventures. The team is overseen by counsel AI Tong, who is a key contact for transactional and regulatory matters related to foreign investment in China.
China Reinsurance Group
China Property & Casualty Reinsurance Company Ltd
China Southern Fund Management Company
HSBC Insurance (Asia) Limited
- Advised a Chinese life insurance subsidiary of a leading UK financial institution group on corporate governance matters in response to the new regulatory requirements implemented from 2021.
- Acted for a leading European insurance group on its distribution channel in China, in particular with regards to Greater Area Bay related opportunities.
- Assisted a major Chinese insurance group in respect of its overseas insurance business.
Other key lawyers:
Bank of China
China Development Bank
- Advised Sumitomo on the establishment of an onshore holding company joint venture with Beijing Capital and subsequent purchase of 16 project companies holding 29 projects in the waste water treatment sector.
- Advised SDIC Power on the set up of a joint venture with Genting for the purpose of an acquisition of a hydropower plant in Indonesia.
- Advised Bank of China Limited as mandated lead arranger and a group of international and Chinese lenders in respect of the project financing for the construction by China Gezhouba of a 1,500MW gas-fired power plant in Uzbekistan.
Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings
LAE Technologies Hong Kong
Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees
Harbour Plaza Hotel Management
- Advised a client on a prominent tycoon estate dispute in Hong Kong.
- Representing a minority shareholder of a Hong Kong company listed on the Korean Stock Exchange in an urgent injunction application against the company and its directors.
- Acting for a client in a court application against his younger brother and sister concerning the administration of relevant estates.
Sun Hong; Wang Yi
Dorel Industries Inc.
HSBC / HSBC Insurance (Asia) Limited
Siam Commercial Bank
- Advised Dorel Industries Inc. on the disposal of its Zhongshan based manufacturing facility in early 2021 and subsequent sale of its remaining juvenile products manufacturing facility in Huangshi, China.
- Advised SDIC Power on setting up a JV with Genting for the purpose of acquisition of hydropower plant in Indonesia.
- Advised CAE Inc. on multi-jurisdictional acquisition of Sabre Corporation’s AirCentre airline operations portfolio.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised the China subsidiary of a leading international travel service provider on its proposed business arrangements in connection with its collaboration with payment institutions and other travel agents in China, involving feasibility analysis, cross-border data transfer issue and telecom license issue.
- Advised a global investment firm on the PRC legal regime on anti-money laundering that applies to Qualified Domestic Limited Partners in China.
- Advised a world leading trading house on the legal regime in China applicable to the national carbon emission trading platform hosted at Shanghai Environment Energy Exchange and its differences with the local trading platforms.
China > TMT: foreign firms Tier 3Delivering ‘amazing and timely advice‘, Norton Rose Fulbright‘s Greater China practice stands out for its ability to advise financial institutions on both the technology and regulatory aspects of transactions and projects. It is also sought out for its credentials in cyber breach response and compliance work. Providing ‘commercially-sound solutions‘, Hong Kong-based data and TMT lawyer specialist Anna Gamvros heads the firm’s Asia-Pacific data protection, privacy and cybersecurity practice; Justin Davidson is an experienced IP and technology practitioner; and North Asia fintech leader Etelka Bogardi also leads the firm’s global payments practice.
Other key lawyers:
Justin Davidson; Etelka Bogardi; Ruby Kwok; Edward Yau
‘The team is collaborative and full of experience – amazing and timely advice. Billings are also an accurate reflection of the work done.’
‘Anna Gamvros is an amazing practitioner, providing timely advice and commercially-sound solutions to clients’ problems.’
Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Institute Company
City University of Hong Kong
Other key lawyers:
‘This team of IP attorneys has extensive experience in all aspects of IP law, including protection, due diligence, licensing and enforcement work; and it has the ability, as a one-stop shop, to assist clients with everything from IP consulting, litigation and market surveillance, to obtaining IP registrations and the formulation and negotiation of licensing and ownership agreements.’
‘Justin Davidson not only has a technical background, but extensive experience in holistic, comprehensive IP solutions, and a proven track record in advising multinational and Asian businesses on a wide range of litigation in the Asian region, as well as non-contentious IP and technology legal issues.‘
‘Justin Davidson regularly assists clients with protecting and exploiting their IP portfolios, and is particularly active in advising on complex IP litigation and the management of multi-jurisdictional patent disputes.‘
‘Justin Davidson is able to provide a one-stop shop for clients, including advising on all aspects of IP, from prosecution and litigation to licensing and the marketisation of IP.‘
Louisville Research Foundation
Combat Medical Holdings
Jacobson Pharma Corporation
Crown Worldwide Holdings
Global Futures & Options
ASTRI (Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Institute)
City University of Hong Kong
- Appointed as global manager of BNP Paribas’ trade mark portfolio.
- Manages the global trade mark portfolio of Crown Worldwide.
- Advises ASTRI on patent prosecution and patent advisory issues, in relation to its technologies.
Norton Rose Fulbright > Firm Profile
The firm: Norton Rose Fulbright is a global law firm. We provide the world’s preeminent corporations and financial institutions with a full business law service. We have more than 4,000 lawyers and other legal staff based in more than 50 cities across Europe, the United States, Canada, Latin America, Asia, Australia, the Middle East and Africa.
Areas of Practice: Recognized for our industry focus, we are strong across all the key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare. Through our global risk advisory group, we leverage our industry experience with our knowledge of legal, regulatory, compliance and governance issues to provide our clients with practical solutions to the legal and regulatory risks facing their businesses.
Wherever we are, we operate in accordance with our global business principles of quality, unity and integrity. We aim to provide the highest possible standard of legal service in each of our offices and to maintain that level of quality at every point of contact.
Norton Rose Fulbright Verein, a Swiss verein, helps coordinate the activities of Norton Rose Fulbright members but does not itself provide legal services to clients. Norton Rose Fulbright has offices in more than 50 cities worldwide, including London, Houston, New York, Toronto, Mexico City, Hong Kong, Sydney and Johannesburg. For more information, see nortonrosefulbright.com
Offices: We have offices in the world’s most important business, financial and regulatory centres and are active in strategically important growth markets. Our offices are located in Amsterdam, Athens, Austin, Bahrain, Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Brussels, Calgary, Canberra, Cape Town, Casablanca, Dallas, Denver, Dubai, Durban, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Houston, Istanbul, Jakarta (in association with Norton Rose Fulbright Australia), Johannesburg, London, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Melbourne, Mexico City, Milan, Minneapolis, Monaco, Montréal, Moscow, Munich, New York, Ottawa, Paris, Perth, Piraeus, Port Moresby, Québec, Rio de Janeiro, Riyadh (in association with Mohammed Al-Ghamdi Law Firm), San Antonio, San Francisco, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore, St Louis, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto, Vancouver, Warsaw and Washington, DC. In Africa, we have alliances with firms in Kenya, Uganda, Burundi and Zimbabwe
Number of partners (worldwide): 1,000+
Number of other fee-earners (worldwide): 2,000+
Total staff: 7,500+
Global key contacts
Financial institutions: James Bateson
Energy: Anne Lapierre and John Mauel
Infrastructure, mining and commodities: Nick Merritt
Transport: Harry Theochari
Technology: Nick Abrahams
Life sciences and healthcare: Stacey Martinez and Randy Sutton
United States: International Arbitration
Published: November 2022
Authors: Matthew H. Kirtland Katie Connolly Esha Kamboj Eddie Skolnick Ernesto M. Hernández
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to International Arbitration laws and regulations that may occur in United States.
Hong Kong: Insurance & Reinsurance
Published: May 2022
Authors: James Parker Etelka Bogardi Graeme Mackay Amy Chung
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Insurance & Reinsurance laws and regulations that may occur in Hong Kong.