Wollens > Torquay, England > Firm Profile
67 The Terrace
Wollens > The Legal 500 RankingsWollens, contentious and advisory licensing matters are handled by Chris Hart and Jon Dunkley, respectively; the latter undertakes full advocacy services relating to licensing applications before both local authorities and courts. The firm is particularly well established across the Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset regions. The team is also noted for its significant experience of making successful applications within cumulative impact areas.
Other key lawyers:
‘They can tailor advice and expertise to the relevant sector. All options were discussed and advice offered before making the successful applications.’
‘Chris Hart and his team made the the whole process seamless, straightforward, and kept us informed as the applications were submitted. They understood what we wanted to achieve with the licences and offered clear advice throughout.’
‘Engagement was excellent at every point from enquiry to completion. We have recommended other business contacts to instruct them for their licensing requirements.’
‘Wollens were very professional – knew exactly what we needed and got on with it.’
‘Matters are dealt with speedily and efficiently and there is always someone on hand to talk to if we have any concerns or questions. The advice is always spot on.’
‘Chris Hart is contactable at almost any time of the day or night and comes back very quickly. He is professional and approachable and nothing is too much trouble.’
Burrington Estates Winslade Park Ltd
Bootleggers Bar Ltd
THAT Torquay Hotel Ltd
Torquay Coastal Drinks Ltd
- Advising Burrington Estates Winslade Park on its licensing application for the grounds to be used as a festival venue.
- Successful assisted Hilton Hotel with an urgent application for variation to an existing premises licence in order to extend its licensed area to include additional function, events and hospitality spaces.
- Assisting Torquay Coastal Drinks with a premises licence for a new gin distillery in the centre of Torquay.
Counting M&A, restructuring and franchising deals among its key areas of strength, Wollens sports a broad corporate and commercial practice and is particularly sought after by clients in the hospitality sector. Jon Dunkley leads the team and is noted for his regulatory expertise, while Dominic Hollingsworth regularly advises on asset acquisitions and disposals. State aid and public sector transactions form part of Hayley Green‘s portfolio; she also assists clients with compliance assessments and funding agreements.
‘They are a forward-thinking firm.’
‘Dominic Hollingsworth is a corporate solicitor that every firm would like to have working at their practice.’
‘Hayley Green is fantastic, offers a great personal, individual approach and treatment to the client. Very knowledgeable, professional and helpful on every occasion.’
‘The team are very versatile and able to take on all aspects of our work. The team we deal with are an all female team, which we like in terms of diversity, headed up by partner Emma Reed who is excellent.’
‘They are approachable, knowledgeable, have great strength in depth and offer a strong client service.’
‘Emma Reed is an exceptional partner.’
‘Dominic Hollingsworth is very knowledgeable, provides challenge, and always looks for the best solution for clients.’
‘Emma Reed always goes above and beyond, providing creative solutions with clarity in difficult circumstances.’
Pickwell Manor Limited
- Advised Pickwell Manor on the asset purchase of Ravendere retreats, a luxury holiday home in North Devon.
- Acted for the shareholders in the $20.8m sale of an international company where the shareholders were in different international locations.
- Acted for a UK holiday agency in its £10m acquisition of a major competitor.
‘The Wollens employment team are highly responsive and able to promptly dissect each issue into its core parts, allowing clients to cost effectively focus their efforts to achieve the best legal outcome.’
‘Jon Dunkley is an exceptional operator in his area; immediately putting clients at ease with his phenomenal employment knowledge and ability to find pragmatic solutions to the case in hand.’
- Advised a local business on restrictive covenants and confidential information in relation to a team of six senior employees joining from another practice.
- Advised a national online organisation following the announcement that it was making up to 50 redundancies.
- Defended a local authority against an employment claim brought about by a former employee who had been dismissed for gross misconduct and was representing themselves.
Simon Bean; Elizabeth Larner
Other key lawyers:
‘Wollens’ clinical negligence practice have a growing reputation nationally, having proved themselves as leaders in the field in the South West.’
‘Elizabeth Larner is the solicitor I’ve been dealing with and I’m very lucky to have her acting for me. She has kept me informed at every stage.’
‘Makes a difficult time easier to deal with. Great support.’
‘Catherine Pinnegar is so supportive. Nothing is too much and she is extremely helpful. Very understanding to my situation.’
‘Catherine Pinnegar has been outstanding with her approach to my claim.’
‘Elizabeth Larner has been particularly helpful and supportive in guiding me through this process.’
‘Elizabeth Larner and Catherine Pinnegar are the-go to clinical negligence specialists in their area.’
‘The team has demonstrated excellence in the claimant clinical negligence market. They have an impressive level of expertise in this field. They are able to progress complex cases through to very good outcomes for their clients.’
- Representing a living claimant who had a liver cancer on a CT scan which was not then followed up, and thus once this was diagnosed the prognosis was terminal and the claim has been pleaded on a Fatal Accidents Act basis, to include funeral costs, a bereavement award, and a dependency claim.
- Representing a claimant who underwent a routine knee replacement, during which the surgeon negligently punctured her popliteal artery causing significant permanent vascular injuries.
- Acting for a claimant who was consented for a liposuction and thigh lift procedure, but on the day of the procedure was told that the procedure was going to be split into two separate surgeries resulting in a poor cosmetic outcome for the claimant, leaving her with physical deformity and psychological injury.
Katrina Vollentine; Christopher Linton; Karen Miller
Other key lawyers:
Charlotte McGregor; Alex Jenkins; Edward Lee
‘All the individuals at the firm with whom I have interacted have time to listen and understand. They make an effort to address the needs of clients – whether in the context of home visits or working with time differences with overseas clients. At all times, the client comes first. The firm should be very proud of their team.’
‘Katrina Vollentine is a really committed individual, completely wedded to her client’s interests, with great strategic and practical insight.’
‘An excellent team with real strength in depth with some excellent high-value work: not to be underestimated!’
‘Christopher Linton is technically superb with a terrific work ethic, and he is always a pleasure to deal with. Katrina Vollentine is likewise technically superb, highly efficient and a real pleasure to work alongside. Wollens has some extremely prestigious work for high-net-worth clients, and I regard the team as perhaps the best, west of Taunton.’
‘Wollens provide specialist advice to clients who are under the jurisdiction of the Court of Protection. They have the best interests of their clients at heart, which includes dealing with matters efficiently and in a cost-effective manner. They are approachable and have empathy for even the most difficult of clients. Just a genuinely lovely group of people, that are also great at their jobs. A leading private client practice in the South West.’
‘Karen Miller is extremely experienced and knowledgeable of her field of practice but also of the local market in Devon. Karen’s extremely approachable nature and ease with which to deal with the firm has impressed the mutual clients who I have referred for legal work.’
‘Friendly, approachable, quick, knowledgeable, transparent on fees, high quality service.’
‘Christopher Linton is fantastic at what he does on private client matters, and the praise that we receive from clients for recommending him speaks volumes. His knowledge, questioning mind, delivery and execution skills are as good as I have seen.’
- Acted for the executors and trustees in a cross-border £40m+ matter involving the high-value sale of a private company, overseas assets, Inheritance Act claims, complex family protection issues and third party lawyers.
- Advised the family of an author who passed away unexpectedly, without a will but with a complicated estate, leaving a spouse and minor child to inherit the estate and sort out the assets. This matter has a value of £1.2m.
- Acted in a £50m+ matter involving wills and general planning for high-net-worth clients involving land issues, overseas assets and a young family with new additions and need to protect interests.
‘The team is highly responsive to communications and gives a personable yet professional service.’
‘Emma Reed has been our main contact and is accurate, articulate, and knowledgeable during negotiations.’
‘ Ashley Bevans’ advice is always proportionate, practical and pragmatic.’
‘Ashley Bevans is as good as they come.’
‘Hayley Green is amazing. Very knowledgeable, helpful and offers perfect personal, individual treatment.’
‘The team are able to work on multiple transactions at once. I deal with an all-female team of solictors and paralegals which is good to see!’
‘Emma Reed is a very safe and trusted pair of hands.’
‘The team works very well together to find solutions for their clients.’
RSPCA North Wiltshire and Newbury Branch
Breakwater Bistro Limited
Rockfish Ltd Salcombe
- Acted for the vendor in the complex £2.1m disposal of a prominent food and drinks premises with ancillary recreational premises, as a going concern.
- Acting for occupational architect tenant in connection with the £750k purchase and lease back of their premises.
- Acting for landlord client in grant of a lease of commercial premises and site following a tax restructure and consideration of £2.7m.
Private client > Family Tier 4Fielding a deep bench of partners and associates, Wollens is lauded for its ‘consistent high level of service to local people' as well as for its 'specialist knowledge and understanding of the region and its culture’. The team acts for both private individuals and on legal aid cases, regularly advising on family law issues pertaining to divorce, child protection, guardianship orders and pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements. In particular, the team is especially well versed in children law issues, where it is hailed as ‘an absolute leader in the field of children public law’ by some clients. Rebecca Procter, who heads the practice, is noted for her expertise in complex matrimonial finance work.
Other key lawyers:
Rachel Carter; David Kendall; Deborah Baker; Elizabeth Foster; Cate Jewell; Sabina Smith; Victoria Harle
‘This team is unusual as although there are more than one office in the area it focuses in providing a consistent high level of service to local people and having specialist knowledge and understanding of the region and its culture.’
‘Rachel Carter is in my view the best child care lawyer in the country with a nationwide practice.’
‘An absolute leader in the field of children public law. The go-to firm in England relation to this area of law.’
‘Rachel Carter and Victoria Harle are the stand out Solicitors at this firm. They have unlimited knowledge of this area of law and are efficient, thorough and talented.’
‘The family team are highly experienced and specialised, providing exceptional service, top quality advice, representation and support to their clients.’
‘Rachel Carter has a national reputation for representing parents who have been accused of causing injury to their children. She has a wealth of knowledge and experience coupled with incredibly expertise in this field. She works closely with other members of her team to ensure her clients are always afforded with the very best representation available.’
‘All team members are very professional and respectful in their dealings with clients and other legal representatives. The team has a wide breadth of experience.’
‘Very friendly and approachable team. You are dealing with one person who knows your case, not a different person each time. Accessible to non-English speakers – they use professional and accredited interpreters and translators which makes them stand out from the other legal firms in the area.’
- Represented a mother wrongly accused of Shaken Baby Syndrome in a complex ten-day hearing, in which the case was ultimately thrown out and the mother reunited with her children.
- Represented a client in multi-jurisdictional court proceedings including over £10m in business assets and overseas properties.
- Assisted a client in a substantial post-nuptial litigation involving a complex range of assets including film and book royalties.
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Employment > Employment: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Commercial property: Dorset, Devon and Cornwall